Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The Prodigy

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    This is just horrible, been a fan since 96 and was finally going to see them in May.
    Long term i think they will continue, but im sure this tour is getting canceled.
    Just shocked at this news!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I wish there was a way to finally give Keith Flint's unreleased solo band FLINT's album DEVICE 1 a proper official release and give all of the proceeds to suicide prevention.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Simply fucking awful news. Another talented artist gone.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I wonder if they'll ever release Flint's solo album Device #1, it had some great stuff!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Got into them from the Hackers soundtrack...really that's where I started with a lot of those bands. Ugh.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    lol but hey im seeing the Stones in June so lets hope the 4 of them are still alive!!

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    This is really fucking me up.
    And, as I said in the other thread, this might be the end of the prodigy as THE PRODIGY.
    I know, I know, even the name refers to Liam, and I've been a huge fan since the early nineties. But things changed with FOTL, and that was, what, 22 years ago?
    This is just my personal opinion, but I think it'd be odd for them to go on as The Prodigy.
    I'd expect it to become Liam and Maxim of The Prodigy, personally.
    I mean, shit, wasn't Dirtchamber Sessions originally released as Liam Howlett Presents? It says "Prodigy Presents" now when I look it up, but even so, if the prodigy still meant " just liam" in 99, why wasn't it a Prodigy album? I know it was different than other releases, obviously, but still.
    Idk. I know I'D damn sure have a hard time continuing as The Prodigy if I were Liam.
    Ultimately, I guess that's all I'm really saying here.

And, good god, whatever they call it, future shows will inevitably feature images of Keith, and it will be fucking heart wrenching.

This is just so fucking awful. The Prodigy Experience is what got me into electronic music, full stop. It's why I'm so into dnb, and was a dirty junglist raver as a teenager. The Prodigy was a MASSIVE part of my teenage years, and my life in general. My young nephew is named Liam, after Liam Howlett, and not "kinda ;" he's seriously named after him. My brother and I were best friends growing up, and that's an example of what a massive influence they had on the both of us.

I can hardly fucking think about this.

At least I caught the show in the 90s. A
    This one HURTS.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    This is really fucking me up.
    And, as I said in the other thread, this might be the end of the prodigy as THE PRODIGY.
    I know, I know, even the name refers to Liam, and I've been a huge fan since the early nineties. But things changed with FOTL, and that was, what, 22 years ago?
    This is just my personal opinion, but I think it'd be odd for them to go on as The Prodigy.
    I'd expect it to become Liam and Maxim of The Prodigy, personally.
    I mean, shit, wasn't Dirtchamber Sessions originally released as Liam Howlett Presents? It says "Prodigy Presents" now when I look it up, but even so, if the prodigy still meant " just liam" in 99, why wasn't it a Prodigy album? I know it was different than other releases, obviously, but still.
    Idk. I know I'D damn sure have a hard time continuing as The Prodigy if I were Liam.
    Ultimately, I guess that's all I'm really saying here.

And, good god, whatever they call it, future shows will inevitably feature images of Keith, and it will be fucking heart wrenching.

This is just so fucking awful. The Prodigy Experience is what got me into electronic music, full stop. It's why I'm so into dnb, and was a dirty junglist raver as a teenager. The Prodigy was a MASSIVE part of my teenage years, and my life in general. My young nephew is named Liam, after Liam Howlett, and not "kinda ;" he's seriously named after him. My brother and I were best friends growing up, and that's an example of what a massive influence they had on the both of us.

I can hardly fucking think about this.

At least I caught the show in the 90s. A
    This one HURTS.
    I'm not sure what you mean, the official release of Dirtchamber Sessions Volume One was always Prodigy Presents and Liam was preparing a Volume Two. It's not a Prodigy album, it's a DJ mix album done by Liam. Liam originally debuted it on the Breezeblock show. He had to make some edits to the Breezeblock mix due to song clearance and released it as The Dirtchamber Sessions. He even did a short DJ tour during this time.

Honestly, there are more non-Keith tracks than tracks with Keith on them. When The Prodigy were first signed to release What Evil Lurks, the first EP under The Prodigy name, it was Liam who got the record deal. It was several years into their career, their third album, when Keith sang on a Prodigy track. Musically, The Prodigy is Liam. He is the main songwriter/producer and where it all began. Maxim was the frontman live as their MC and the first to have vocals featured on a Prodigy track. It was until Firestarter and Fat Of The Land, the press pushed Keith front and center. Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned, the follow up to The Fat Of The Land didn't even feature Maxim or Keith on it at all as the band wanted to shed their FOTL image and go back to their roots and what The Prodigy were about.

I hope Liam and Maxim continue on in some form. It will be a much sadder world without that feeling waiting for the next Prodigy album. For me, The Prodigy was always Liam, but the media turned Keith into their image. It was actually more due to America putting Keith at the front as the media here couldn't quite understand a band like The Prodigy. I've read their bio books and their US radio/media promo stories are embarrassing. Not for them, but the clueless industry people and dum radio DJs who couldn't comprehend a band like Prodigy where they'd asked crap like "Who's the guitarist?" Maxim would respond "No, I'm the drummer."
    Last edited by neorev; 03-05-2019 at 02:44 AM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    The thing that's getting me about this is from all the story's coming out now he seemed like a bloody wonderful person outside of his stage persona, it's fucking heartbreaking!

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @neorev , I know about dirtchamber sessions. Could have sworn it was originally Liam Howlett presents, but obviously was wrong. I meant to say "even if I was wrong" rather than "even so," btw.
    as for there being more non-keith tracks than tracks with Keith on them, and Liam being the prodigy, musically, etc., you know I know that. I know that Liam was the only one originally signed.
    And I agree that the media misunderstood: they call Keith '"the frontman. " remember, dude: I've been a fan since the early nineties, too.

BUT

Having Keith as a "frontman," even though it always seemed to me like it was really MAXIM who was the " frontman" live, made The Prodigy look like a BAND, you know? That's a big part of what broke them into the mainstream.
    And, I would argue that tracks like Firestarter and Fuel My Fire etc, idk. Tracks like that marked a sea change.
    Basically, what I'm saying is, Keithy's move from dancer to emcee/face of the prodigy, changed things. He became a far more fundamental part of the "group." in fact, that's when they BECAME a "group." Think of Baby's Got a Temper , for instance.
    And, despite my mix up with the dirtchamber sessions, ultimately, don't you agree that Keith became more of a part of the "band" after FOTL?

And, ultimately, because of this, and his emcee and sometimes vocalist status for 22 years, do YOU think Liam and Maxim will continue as The Prodigy?
    Like I said in that post, "\I know I'D have a hard time continuing as The Prodigy if I were Liam. Ultimately that's all I'm really saying here."
    Last edited by elevenism; 03-05-2019 at 03:23 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Live it will never be the same, I don't see how it would work again, but Liam could definetly continue recording under the Prodigy name, remember Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned is this weird album in the middle of their career, it didn't feature either Keith or Maxim, it was nowhere near as good, and was odd at the time, but it sounds much better to my ears today than it did at the time, it had HUGE expectations to live up to, following an album Fat of Land that sold 15 million copies, its a Liam Howlett solo electroclash record, Girls is an AWESOME tune, one of their best, Liam will continue I bet, I don't have a problem if he still uses Prodigy name.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I hear what you are saying @elevenism
    For me, I always looked at them as a band even back when I first heard Experience and it was just Maxim as an MC with a couple of dancers. I remember looking at the backs of Experience and Jilted and seeing the 4 guys together. They always looked so cool together. Watching Electronic Punks when it came out. I guess for me personally they were always a band. I remembered when Firestarter video premiered here in the US and I was so fucking confused seeing Keith sing. I hope Liam continues as The Prodigy only if Liam wants to keep going. I don't want him to feel forced to do so and I don't want him to feel in the wrong if he does. No Tourists showed me he still has the spark. It also showed Liam using Keith less. I think he was preparing for Keith having less of a role. I always felt the end of live band as we know was always inevitable. They're getting old. So I guess I was always preparing for that day. But Liam still has the fire to put out new music, I hope he doesn't second guess himself and goes for it. It seems almost fitting to go full circle and return where it all started... with Liam. I wish they made it to their 30th Ann together. As much as I love Keith, I kinda feel angry at the position he put Liam and Maxim in.

What's even sadder, if you read the post from the guys at Engine Earz who mastered No Tourists, it seems they wrre working on something new with The Prodigy that had Keith on vocals. Liam kept saying they had something planned for 2019 and now I wonder if it will still happen. I hope it does.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    I am completely gutted by this news. I was looking forward to hopefully seeing them live this year but who knows if that is still happening. Thankfully I had the pleasure of seeing Keith perform live back in 2005 at Coachella. Ugh...this sucks...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

RIP Keith

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousTIMP View Post
    I am completely gutted by this news. I was looking forward to hopefully seeing them live this year but who knows if that is still happening. Thankfully I had the pleasure of seeing Keith perform live back in 2005 at Coachella. Ugh...this sucks...
    I was there and stupidly missed their set. I remember Keith and Maxim not being involved with the album, and since they were booked in the Sahara I assumed it was merely a DJ set. Never had another opportunity to see them since, really.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    As expected all the shows are cancelled. Just got a notice from the House of Blues in Boston that refunds should be requested at your point of purchase from Live Nation or wherever you scored tickets. If you got them online or via the phone from Live Nation, it might be an automatic refund over the next day or so.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    I was there and stupidly missed their set. I remember Keith and Maxim not being involved with the album, and since they were booked in the Sahara I assumed it was merely a DJ set. Never had another opportunity to see them since, really.

This video pretty much captures the energy of that night. It was absolutely nuts and CRAZY loud...loved it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Terrible about the dates being canceled, but it was expected.

Im only mildly excited for COA now as The Prodigy were the deciding factor for going. Hopefully their replacement isnt Korn or Chevelle or some bullshit like that.

Ive been really upset about Keiths death all day, this was the first band I got into

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Terrible about the dates being canceled, but it was expected.

Im only mildly excited for COA now as The Prodigy were the deciding factor for going. Hopefully their replacement isnt Korn or Chevelle or some bullshit like that.

Ive been really upset about Keiths death all day, this was the first band I got into
    Yeah, they were one of the only bands at the Sonic Temple festival that I am attending that I was truly excited to see. I have seen maybe 90% of those acts already, but the Prodigy were the true appeal. I wonder who is going to replace them on these festival slots.

Guessing there might be some inmemoriam section at the festivals where they were supposed to play? Rock on the range did something like that for Chris Cornell last year.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Grew up with this band, from the same part of London, seen them a million times etc, absolutely gutted. Caught them at Alexandra Palace recently and it's weird to think that was possibly their last London gig

Liam is definitely the mastermind behind the band but Keith & Maxim took it to the next level live & eventually on record. It's worth remembering that "Always outnumbered" is bookended by two much more well received albums.

Day is My Enemy was on a par with their 90s stuff & they seemed to have really settled into the groove as some of the kings of the festival circuit, such a shame that they've suffered this blow just as they were riding their second wave of hugeness

They can totally carry on, of course. I know they're booked to play Glastonbury & it would be cool to have a gig with a bunch of guest vocalists of relevance to the band's history doing the Keith songs - can totally see Liam Gallagher or Sleaford Mods pulling that off

Very sad, and so unexpected

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I still cannot believe he is gone and I am not at all sure when that will finally settle in for me. I guess I am still in the state of shock and just cannot bring myself to accept that one of the artists I grew up listening to is gone. Like the rest of you, this hurts but I just don't feel like I have accepted the reality of the situation. This is different to me than other musicians who left us via suicide as The Prodigy was/is a band I instantly loved and actually followed for 20+ years and I cannot say that for others; so this is sort of new to me. Its seems like only yesterday that I was listening to 'No Tourists' for the first time and thinking "My god, they are sooo on fire.... cannot fn wait for tour news..." I don't think there has been a month in my life that has passed where I didn't listen to The Prodigy in one form or another. I cannot imagine this band not being in my life, so I really do hope they continue on as each release was something I looked forward to like a NIN or Manson record (I know, I know...Manson...).

While the situation totally sucks, it is nice to read some stories like below.

http://www.alternativenation.net/the...-machine-icon/

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Let's work together to honor Keith. Shortly after the announcement of Keith's passing , Emily Eavis told NME that they booked The Prodigy to play at Glastonbury 2019. Let's get Glastonbury to keep The Prodigy's slot at Glastonbury 2019 and broadcast their 1997 performance for the audiece to experience in honor of Keith Flint...

Please sign
    https://www.change.org/p/emily-eavis...ap_basic_share
    Last edited by neorev; 03-06-2019 at 08:25 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post

RIP Keith
    I IMMEDIATELY thought of posting this, but I thought it might be poor taste/too soon territory.
    But yeah.

One great big festering neon distraction....
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Let's get Glastonbury to keep The Prodigy's slot at Glastonbury 2019 and broadcast their 1997 performance for the audiece to experience in honor of Keith Flint...
    I can see them showing 'Firestarter' as a tribute to Keith but not much more than that.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I say show must go on... Blitz spirit. Get on that pyramid stage and destroy the crowd as a gesture of defiance

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    If one band can pull the hologram bs it would be the prodigy, not necessarily a show of good taste but I'm sure they could make it interesting

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    He's not wrong.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Leeroy, we need you back!