Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Random General Questions

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the duder View Post
    This summer, I'm planning on buying a guitar and learning to play. I wouldn't call my previous attempts actually "trying" to learn, but I'd get really frustrated just by picking the damn thing up. I had a book, had tried having someone "teach" me, but again, the patience issue is one I have to figure out. Now that I'm sober, and will have a LOT of free time on my hands, this summer seems to be a great time to get involved. Questions:
    1.) What type of guitar should I be looking at? Acoustic or electric?
    2.) What, if any, success have you musically inclined people had in learning to play on your own?
    3.) How dafuq did you do it?
    I'd look into an acoustic, they're more fun for long hours of noodling, especially if those long hours are spreading into the later evening!
    I am completely self-taught. My advice is to think about some songs you've always wanted to learn how to play, and slowly start picking
    them apart, you'll be familiar enough with them to know what they're supposed to sound like.

Here's a question...
    My bandmates are planning a move into Madison, and I'm not sure whether or not I want to move with them. I kind of feel like the little idiosyncrasies amongst us will be amplified by a million and it was hurt the band.. Plus, I really like my job and I'm hesitant to leave it..

What should I do!?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Re: Random General Questions

You gotta think about if being in that band or in any other is worth it.

Being in a serious band takes dedication.

Detroit-ish Area Bacon Taste: Deliciously Maple
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    One of my favorite bands ever has asked me to do "back-up yelling, the lights that Dan (the lights guy) cant figure out, and fuck shit up." im like, super scared. i love this fucking band so much, but im afraid that i may put on a lame show.

also, i dont have a good scream-singing voice.

edit: wow, band questions galore, lol

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Well, I've been in this band for a while now, and I've come to conclusion that it's not something I'm very serious about
    since I'm not in love with the music we play, and I told them that.. They know, but I think it's just something they ignored
    when I said it.
    BUT, in general, and in spite of their daydreaming, it's not a SERIOUS band. I've just been thinking that maybe moving in with them would
    put some strain on our relationship as bandmates. Plus, i'm a 28yr old who's never had roomates, and the idea of stuffing everything into a bedroom...well that just sucks.

BUT, I'd like to move from where I am, and there moving to Madison, which would be cool. I'm torn!

BFM, what band is it!? Are they screamy vocals or do you have to like...be good at singing!?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I have to go to Logan, Utah and St. Petersburg,Florida for a week each in August.
    I've never been to either before, and just wondering if there are any awesome distractions / national parks / whatever that I should go and see?
    Will probably give myself an extra week to do stuff, so should have plenty of time.

Thanks in advance <3

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Stop here on the way back, we'll get trashed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    You know, that's a fucking good idea.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I'm like a life coach for people who make poor decisions, helping them make poorer ones.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Not so much an enabler, more like an enhancer.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Custom title updated.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
    BFM, what band is it!? Are they screamy vocals or do you have to like...be good at singing!?
    Skill is not required. It's feedback driven punk-metal.

The way it looks now is that they're getting a new lights guy also, and "backup screaming" duties are being assigned to him. We had a sitdown, (a pow-ow even) and the band and I decided that my presence (6'5", 320ish lbs) is more valuable as a fan, and as an "inside hype man" than tied to a microphone, or with any 'official' affiliation with the band.

BIG UPSIDE: i can wear the bands shirts at shows and NOT be a douche. No one likes the band that wears its own shirt at a show.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Has anyone ever done a home exchange where you stay in someone else's flat in another city and they stay in yours for a cheap holiday? I'm looking at going to Berlin but I hate staying in shitty hotels and can't afford nice ones. Obviously a bit worried about letting strangers loose in my flat but I guess the other party will have the same concerns..

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    does ANYONE still do the punk rock, vest-covered-in-patches deal anymore?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Fat Matt View Post
    does ANYONE still do the punk rock, vest-covered-in-patches deal anymore?
    There's still tons of punks(punx) out there, it's just not "cool" to be a punk anymore, so you don't see it as much..
    Short answer, yah.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    i started wearing one about 8 months ago, and have since seen maybe a dozen or so people follow suit. i think i may have preformed CPR on a fad. i feel special.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    My buddy has a pretty bitchen jean jacket he's covered in patches and such. Other than him i have seen a few kids around town sporting that look, though from what i have seen most of the kids here do the skinny jean semi-full blown hipster thing.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    my non work dress is

american flag bandana
    band or sport team t-shirt
    vest (i have two. one for winter, one for summer, lol)
    shorts (year round)
    beat up drawn on chuck taylor high tops or my Doc Martens.

i think im the most punk rock dude to ever live in my city.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Is there a name for thoughts that turn into seemingly audible voices when you're semiconscious?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokononist View Post
    Is there a name for thoughts that turn into seemingly audible voices when you're semiconscious?
    Aren't those just called "thoughts"?

Doesn't everyone hear their thoughts in various voices?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warped_Savant View Post
    Aren't those just called "thoughts"?

Doesn't everyone hear their thoughts in various voices?
    I would think sneezing on a bright day would be called a sneeze but there's a more specific term for it. Audible is the qualifier for my question. It's a state similar to falling asleep while watching TV but in your head. If you're being serious on that last part, no. My thoughts, if I have to put a voice to them which is odd to me outside of a daydream, are using my tone and cadence. Although, I guess it's more of my speech pattern following my thoughts.
    Last edited by Bokononist; 08-21-2013 at 08:36 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokononist View Post
    I would think sneezing on a bright day would be called a sneeze but there's a more specific term for it. Audible is the qualifier for my question. It's a state similar to falling asleep while watching TV but in your head. If you're being serious on that last part, no. My thoughts, if I have to put a voice to them which is odd to me outside of a daydream, are using my tone and cadence. Although, I guess it's more of my speech pattern following my thoughts.
    I was talking to my wife about this because, honestly, I thought that audibly hearing your thoughts was normal... I had to really think about it, but I realized that when I'm thinking about something I would say it's purely in my head, when I think about what someone else would say / am contemplating something with an internal monologue, I audibly hear it in my ears.

Until 3 days ago, I thought this was perfectly normal...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Was considering the idea of getting a roommate. It would involve me moving as I'm currently living in a tiny hovel. It is pretty nice rent is cheap landlord is cool but arty the same time it is pretty damn small. Also I kind of want a change. A buddy said I could move in with him and his lady at their house as they have a spare room which I am considering. I've been on cl but it's mostly college kids and for the most part I don't want to deal with that. I did find a place that could be cool and end up costing me the pretty much the same. Idk maybe I'm just lonely, but it would be nice to get a change of scenery.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk 4

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    What's this "Visitor messages" thing? I thought I had some PM's that were a few days old but... VM's?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the duder View Post
    This summer, I'm planning on buying a guitar and learning to play. I wouldn't call my previous attempts actually "trying" to learn, but I'd get really frustrated just by picking the damn thing up. I had a book, had tried having someone "teach" me, but again, the patience issue is one I have to figure out. Now that I'm sober, and will have a LOT of free time on my hands, this summer seems to be a great time to get involved. Questions:
    1.) What type of guitar should I be looking at? Acoustic or electric?
    2.) What, if any, success have you musically inclined people had in learning to play on your own?
    3.) How dafuq did you do it?
    As a professional musician, I might be able to help you out a little. Granted, I'm a drummer, but I'll do the best I can.

First, I agree with everyone who said to start with acoustic guitar. It's actually the exact same as me learning to play the snare drum in concert band before playing a full drum set; you have to learn to walk before you can run. Learn the basics and go from there. Besides, just because it's an acoustic doesn't mean you can't rock the shit out of it.
    I was very lucky when it came to my musical education. I had many different teachers who all taught me different things, but I also started playing out live very young and early on, so I had a lot of seasoned musicians take me under their wing and try to teach me as well. Some of the most important lessons I ever learned didn't have anything to do with things to play on the drums; they were more "musical life lessons", as I call them. Things like "listen"... If you're playing with someone else, listen to what they're doing and play accordingly; don't just be off in your own little world and expect it to work.
    Like I said, I had a few different instructors who taught me the skills I needed, but I always learned better by listening. I was terrible at learning from books. I'd much rather listen to something and learn it that way.

The best piece of advice I can give you is to go out and find an Open Mic night where you can play with other musicians. Once you're comfortable, of course. I didn't actually have that luxury... One of my teachers took me to one that he did and threw me behind the drums and said "go for it!" without any warning at all. That was the first time I ever played out in public, and it was terrible. But I kept going back and kept working at it and learning, which was the best thing for me to do.
    Talk to people and ask them as many questions as you can, and play with as many different people and as many different things as you can. If you want it and work for it, it'll come to you eventually. I can almost guarantee it.

I hope some of this helped and wasn't too rambling. Good luck!

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    My mind is occasionally filled with random general questions, so this thread can sometimes be perfect for me.

Aside from being drunk, why do people make silly poses and faces for pictures with friends? At this point... I've just become too self-conscious for that. I normally just stand still or sit there with a dead-pan expression on my face or a little smile tops. No offense to those of you that do it a lot with your friends, but as of now I just don't get it. I mean, I get that it's supposed to be funny, but they just come across more as awkward than funny most of the time to me.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    My mind is occasionally filled with random general questions, so this thread can sometimes be perfect for me.

Aside from being drunk, why do people make silly poses and faces for pictures with friends? At this point... I've just become too self-conscious for that. I normally just stand still or sit there with a dead-pan expression on my face or a little smile tops. No offense to those of you that do it a lot with your friends, but as of now I just don't get it. I mean, I get that it's supposed to be funny, but they just come across more as awkward than funny most of the time to me.
    Best answer I can give for this:
    You know those people that always look awkward in pictures? Yeah, they know it too. If they know they're going to look weird anyway, why not make it look like you're trying to look like an idiot rather than looking like an idiot because that's just how you look in pictures?

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    For some reason, I actually didn't think about that. You even have people looking awkward with a straight face. I must've forgotten about that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Is it just me or are there other people that don't find Bandicoot Cucumberpatch attractive?

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    I have a running theory that Bandersnatch Cumberbund and I are kind of the same kind of hot. Where our faces are weird but it hopefully works. That may be wishful thinking on my part. Also, I don't have that voice.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    You're way hotter than he is. You're cute weird. He's weird weird.