Thread: Sigil 03_: An omen EP_

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joymode View Post
    Maybe the old music wasnt as much trent as everybody likes to believe. Clouser, dillon. Dare I say Patrick all may have had a heavy influence on NIN. Certainly More than they get credit for.

Charlie's current music is reminiscent of TDS and fragile era. As well as what little we've heard from Jerome.

It certainly makes a lot of sense why there's so much weirdness in the ex band member section. If I were those guys and I had as much input as I suspect they may have, only to be constantly berated as just being hired hands.

Lets be honest. The only two people he still gets along with and plays with occasionally are people who haven't bothered putting out any of their own music. Fink and lohner. Two dudes who seem to be content riding coat tails. (Lohner even jokes about this.)
    Clouser joined NIN after TDS had been released, he recently admitted that he did nothing in that album, and he just did some stuff for Starfuckers, the rest of his ideas were not included in The Fragile.

Patrick left NIN because Trent told him that he would use some of his music for their next album after Broken, which was going to be very "heavy and very guitar oriented, some kind of Broken 2", but then Trent went to the studio and changed his mind and started to play with synths and samplers and decided that Richard's songs didn't fit the tone of the album that he wanted to make, so Patrick left NIN and used his stuff for Filter's first album. He said that he wrote "Hey Man, Nice Shot" for NIN and Trent told him that he liked the song and that they would use it in the album or as a b-side or something, but when TDS changed its direction, Rich realized that he had to form a new band for his own music.

Just because some of the music made by former band members sometimes sounds like NIN, that doesn't mean that they have actually written music for NIN. Maybe it's the other way around and they just have been influenced by the music that they have been playing live for years. Also it must be the kind of music that they actually like and the kind of music that their fans or employers were asking for.

Lohner is credited as co-writer for 2 or 3 songs (that's more than Clouser, Vrenna, Finck, Dillon, Wooley, etc), his remixes for other bands are obviously influenced by his work with NIN, and he even produced the first BLB's album that had lots of electronics and a pseudo industrial rock sound similar to NIN's, but he is still in good terms with Trent and has never accussed him of stealing his music or something like that.

Many ex-members were pissed off and never complained about having done lots of uncredited stuff. And many of them were pissed because they were fired or because they had to leave the band due to their zero imput in the band's music, they wanted to be creative and write some music and they couldn't do it for NIN, so they had to leave.

-Rich left NIN to form Filter because he couldn't write songs for NIN.

-Vrenna was fired or left because he wanted to have the same position that Atticus has finally had. He wanted to write and produce for NIN and he couldn't, so he left or was fired by Trent due to his demands.

-James Wooley was replaced for Clouser, don't know/remember why.

-Clouser and Lohner were promised to have a very important role on Tapeworm as writers and producers. According to Clouser that's why they didn't leave NIN before. Finck never believed that and this is why he just left to join GNR several times and never gave a shit about Tapeworm.

-Clouser was pissed for a good while, but now he is in good terms with Trent again afaik. Dillon was fired, and he claimed that Trent promised him that he would produce and support his Nearly album, which Trent denied, I don't know if it's true or not, but he didn't write or produce anything for NIN if I remember well. Vrenna probably hated Trent for many years too, but I recently read that he is following Trent's twitter and viceversa, and when he was asked (having recently quit MM) who was the most problematic musician that he had ever worked with (having worked with Trent, Axl Rose, Corgan or Manson), he answered that it was Manson and not Trent, so maybe he is not that pissed off these days. Patrick one day claims to love Trent and that they are good old friends an the next day claims that Trent is a moron, although as of lately he has been more positive than negative towards Trent. None of them has ever claimed to have done any uncredited work for NIN.

-These last years Trent is clean and sober, he has been more open minded and I guess that this is why Atticuss has got everything that people like Vrenna, Patrick, Lohnner or Clouser wanted. Atticuss has tons of credits as producer and cowriter and a sideproject with Trent that is actually releasing some music.

-After all these years, if any former "hired gun" had written or produced lots of uncredited stuff for NIN, I'm pretty sure they would have talked to the press about it like a billion times already and they would have sued Trent's ass (or they are really stupid). And none of them has released an album like TDS to prove that they were the real mastermids behind NIN's music and/or sound. The only one who formed a new band and succeeded was Patrick, and his music is much more rock/guitar oriented and traditional, barely sounds like NIN.
    Last edited by Max Leo; 10-21-2012 at 07:05 AM.