Page 82 of 191 FirstFirst ... 32 72 80 81 82 83 84 92 132 182 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,460 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    STP without Weiland isn't STP. They should have given it a different name. Stone Temple Park would have been closer to the truth.
    I don't blame the DeLeo brothers and Kretz for moving on with a new singer. Why should they change the name? They worked for over 20 years to build up a fan base and a brand, so why should they give that up, just because their singer can't get it together? I saw Scott last year and I enjoyed him, but he was a wreck--wasted, late--I can see why the band would want a more professional, reliable singer.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Because the "brand" features Scott Weiland on vocals? There are few cases in which you can replace a vocalist and get away with it. And this isn't one of them. 20 years after your peak, with a vocalist moonlighting from a much larger band, a guy who has even less credibility than your original, iconic singer, and who is basically impersonating said singer? I'm just not seeing it.

Also, the new, Staley-less AIC is very disappointing. Should have let that one lie, fellas.

I get that people have to pay the rent: it's just sad that these 90s musicians can't find success without reverting to their former decades-old glories.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 09-04-2014 at 09:29 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Not to argue, but I never really understood the dislike and hate of Linkin Park on Nine Inch Nails boards. (There also seems to be a couple of fans that also can't stand Linkin Park on NIN.com)

I could understand if their songs/albums not interesting, or not one's taste though, but it seems like they'd at least be a lot more tolerable than Limp Bizkit or Hed PE would be to NIN fans as far as rap rock bands go.
    If anything I'd argue that's the worst thing about them; they are so middle-of-the-road bland that it's not even like they're painfully bad or anything, they're just boring. I've always held that attitude that something being boring is worse than being either good or bad, because at least something bad is polarizing and has an impact, albeit a negative one. LP is the kind of band where I can barely remember a thing about them half an hour after hearing something of theirs.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Because the "brand" features Scott Weiland on vocals? There are few cases in which you can replace a vocalist and get away with it. And this isn't one of them. 20 years after your peak, with a vocalist moonlighting from a much larger band, a guy who has even less credibility than your original, iconic singer, and who is basically impersonating said singer? I'm just not seeing it.

Also, the new, Staley-less AIC is very disappointing. Should have let that one lie, fellas.

I get that people have to pay the rent: it's just sad that these 90s musicians can't find success without reverting to their former decades-old glories.
    I'd rather have AIC 2.0 than no AIC at all. The new lineup doesn't take anything away from the past and has given the band another chapter to add to their legacy. I like William because he sounds enough like Layne to emulate the classic sound when he harmonizes with Jerry, yet he sounds different enough not to sound like a carbon copy.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 09-05-2014 at 12:34 AM.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Not to argue, but I never really understood the dislike and hate of Linkin Park on Nine Inch Nails boards.
    Because they're the third worst band ever, right after Creed and Insane Clown Posse. I'll dislike them on boards that have nothing to do with Nine Inch Nails as well.

They are the most insincere pile of petulant cliche-ridden horseshit ever. Every moment of every aspect of their music is a groan-worthy cliche. The sum total of it is this horrifying toddler mall angst calculated pop. To even judge it on a musical level is a joke. They make music that sounds like somebody is making fun of nu-metal tropes. They're angry, in this whimpering "look at me! look at me NOW!" kind of way, and they want to look edgy but they're obviously about as dangerous as a diet vanilla smoothy. Listening to Linkin Park is the musical version of some shrill voiced kid on Xbox Live calling you a bitch because you beat him up in Street Fighter. Even thinking about their fucking music makes me feel like I'm on a long flight to some shitty place that sucks, and there's some brat behind me kicking my seat the whole way there.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 09-05-2014 at 01:50 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Because they're the third worst band ever, right after Creed and Insane Clown Posse. I'll dislike them on boards that have nothing to do with Nine Inch Nails as well.

They are the most insincere pile of petulant cliche-ridden horseshit ever. Every moment of every aspect of their music is a groan-worthy cliche. The sum total of it is this horrifying toddler mall angst calculated pop. To even judge it on a musical level is a joke. They make music that sounds like somebody is making fun of nu-metal tropes. They're angry, in this whimpering "look at me! look at me NOW!" kind of way, and they want to look edgy but they're obviously about as dangerous as a diet vanilla smoothy. Listening to Linkin Park is the musical version of some shrill voiced kid on Xbox Live calling you a bitch because you beat him up in Street Fighter. Even thinking about their fucking music makes me feel like I'm on a long flight to some shitty place that sucks, and there's some brat behind me kicking my seat the whole way there.
    That's a tad harsh, but damn funny.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    hate linkin park.

Orgy's Vapor Transmissions was good. it showed promise in the band better than Candyass, which only had "Stitches" as a clear cut GREAT song.

but damn, late 90's early 00's REALLY sucked with "pop" (meaning popular)-rock music...

Early and mid 90's pop rock music was what i grew up with, so i'm fond of Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, NIN, etc... I'm sure peeps then went, "fuck this 90's shit" lol...

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    That's a tad harsh, but damn funny.
    That ain't totally harsh but it is fucking true. Thank you Jinsai.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I feel like I've said it before, but I fucking love Paramore.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    haha... why

that cover of one armed scissor was offensive

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Paramore did a cover of "One armed scissor"??? O_o

EDIT: Forget it... i heard it... just when i thought i couldn't hate this band more...
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 09-06-2014 at 12:36 PM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Paramore are easily one of the worst bands of the past decade. I can't stand them. The ultimate in watered down rock music that the world has to offer.

I'm also going to throw in Against Me! I know a lot of people stand up for how strong and kind of awesome LJG is, but it doesn't take a way the fact that their music is a bunch of Warped Tour punk horse shit that's more boring and repetitive than anything you could imagine.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    I'm also going to throw in Against Me! I know a lot of people stand up for how strong and kind of awesome LJG is, but it doesn't take a way the fact that their music is a bunch of Warped Tour punk horse shit that's more boring and repetitive than anything you could imagine.
    Couldn't agree more so I just quoted you.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darktemplar007 View Post
    I feel like I've said it before,
    but I fucking love Paramore.
    oh look, it rhymes!

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Paramore is a pretty obviously shitty band, and they suck in almost every conceivable textbook way.

What do you like about them? I don't want to sound confrontational about it, I honestly am mostly unfamiliar with their music actually outside of the singles that have made radio and grocery store airplay. But, there just seems to be really nothing compelling or interesting going on there.

There's got to be something I'm missing, because it sells, but from what I've heard it's just some of the most empty stuff. With a lot of music that I dislike, I can still at least understand what others like about it. I do not get it at all with Paramore.

EDIT:

Last edited by Jinsai; 09-06-2014 at 01:16 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Korn is probably in my top 10 favorite bands of all time )

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I'm horrified to find out that Counting Crows still exists, and people bother to review their albums.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    I'm horrified to find out that Counting Crows still exists, and people bother to review their albums.
    Shitty band that should've never existed past 1998.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Shitty band that should've never existed past 1998 1993.
    Fixed it for you.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I've often got the vague feeling Adam Duritz was just playing everyone for a fool with all that maudlin ballad bullshit; like he cannot be for real; maybe in part because he looks like he should be in a nu-metal band.
    Also, Mr Jones was a good song: that's IT.

Talking of One Armed Scissor, to me At The Drive In were a horribly overrated band, basically a mix of Fugazi and RATM replete with hipster nonsense song titles and lyrics. Never understood why people made such a fuss over them.
    The Mars Volta were much, much better.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 09-06-2014 at 08:09 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    If your new lead singer's only redeeming feature is he sounds like the guy who left/got fired/died, you're one step away from turning into a tribute band. Or maybe you already are one. (I'm looking at you: Journey, Boston, Styx, Yes … and those are bands I like.)

I can't think of a band that still had an actual career after hiring a sound-alike — you're not fooling anybody.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    hello nasty is the best beasties album. The rest have good songs but aren't good as a whole

blah blah paul's boutique? fight club soundtrack was a better dust brothers effort

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    hello nasty is the best beasties album. The rest have good songs but aren't good as a whole

blah blah paul's boutique? fight club soundtrack was a better dust brothers effort
    YES. 'hello nasty' was the ish.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Hello nasty is my least favorite BB record, actually from that one on down to the last one are awful. Check your head and ill communication tied for best all time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Love the instrumentals on Ill Communication.

I always found most of Neurosis' songs to be boring – The Eye of Every Storm is an amazing album, and A Sun That Never Sets has its moments, but the rest is OK at best. All those long ambient intros they have kinda suck the life out of their songs. Honor Found In Decay I didn't like at all. Steve Von Till's solo work is great, btw.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Prevention Hotline View Post
    If your new lead singer's only redeeming feature is he sounds like the guy who left/got fired/died, you're one step away from turning into a tribute band. Or maybe you already are one. (I'm looking at you: Journey, Boston, Styx, Yes … and those are bands I like.)

I can't think of a band that still had an actual career after hiring a sound-alike — you're not fooling anybody.
    There's one obvious one (otherwise I agree)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I like Avenged Sevenfold.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UnjollyIrishman View Post
    I like Avenged Sevenfold.
    GO TO HELL, YOU SICK SON OF A BITCH!

just kidding. i don't (his voice is detestable -- whiny/nasal AND loud? ugh!), but i enjoy similar garbage by bands like escape the fate.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm not into them but I don't really get the hatred, really there is a lot worse than their TV dinner 21st century gnr. Plus they stitched up that prat portnoy by luring him away from dream theater and then binning him off - excellent work

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    There's one obvious one (otherwise I agree)

I would have thought Brian Johnson contributes more than just a Bon Scott imitation, but until AC/DC shows up on Spotify (grrr) I'll have to take your word for it.