Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Tech Questions

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Recently got an external hard drive, something I probably should have done a long time ago. Anyway, I'm burning stuff off a DVD drive on my computer and it's not reading some of my blank DVDs which I know have stuff on them I can transfer to the new HD. Should I get a Blu-ray drive?

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Recently got an external hard drive, something I probably should have done a long time ago. Anyway, I'm burning stuff off a DVD drive on my computer and it's not reading some of my blank DVDs which I know have stuff on them I can transfer to the new HD. Should I get a Blu-ray drive?
    Without any further details, it sounds like it may be a format issue ("dash" vs "plus"). What type of drive are you using? What brand/type of discs are you specifically having trouble with?

I have a Plextor PX-B320SA internal Blu-ray drive, which I'd recommend. I'm currently thinking of picking up a Pioneer external.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    So I've been having some trouble with my wifi lately. My phone always seems to stay connected, yet my PS4 and my laptop will eventually disconnect with no luck reconnecting once this happens. The router and modem are directly on the other side of the door, so there isn't much interference. Anyone have an idea as to what may be causing this?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    So I've been having some trouble with my wifi lately. My phone always seems to stay connected, yet my PS4 and my laptop will eventually disconnect with no luck reconnecting once this happens. The router and modem are directly on the other side of the door, so there isn't much interference. Anyone have an idea as to what may be causing this?
    see if the router needs a firmware update, try changing the login credentials for the wifi (and make sure that you're using a WPA2 AES password), and if all that fails, it might be time for a new router. i had a TP Link Archer C5 router for years (and put a bunch of them and C7s in for customers) and never had a problem anywhere until MINE started just randomly dropping wifi clients. replaced it with an Airport Extreme and haven't really had any problems since.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    see if the router needs a firmware update, try changing the login credentials for the wifi (and make sure that you're using a WPA2 AES password), and if all that fails, it might be time for a new router. i had a TP Link Archer C5 router for years (and put a bunch of them and C7s in for customers) and never had a problem anywhere until MINE started just randomly dropping wifi clients. replaced it with an Airport Extreme and haven't really had any problems since.
    Thanks for the response! This was my first thought, to replace it, but it's fairly new and I know that isn't always full proof. It is really frustrating when you're doing work at night and the dam signal drops out. I'll have to ask my friend to make an account with his provider since I'm locked out pretty much lol.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Hey...

My LaCie Blu-ray drive (technically a Pioneer BD-RW BDR-206 in a nice case) is dying and I'm looking for a new external Blu-ray drive for my Mac. Needs to be able to playback Blu-ray movies (for software I use Blu-ray Player, which, aside from menu issues, works well for me) and burns CDs/DVDs (don't care about burning Blu-ray discs).

Any suggestions?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    the power supply on my desktop suddenly decided to give up the ghost. At least it did it loudly instead of silently so I could replace it before it took a hostage. Thing is i don't know what these connectors are called for me to know what to replace it with.

https://imgur.com/a/J5R31OR

that's a pic of the supply that died and the slots in the motherboard. the computer is from 2015 and runs windows 10. I have two sata hard drives and two optical drives. my problem is that I don't know what all of the connectors are called so when I go to the IGN page (as an example) I don't know what all of that means and I don't want to get one that is missing something.

I'm thinking of grabbing a graphics card because my son is old enough now to play games that actually require one (cities skylines for one) so I know I need a pciex16 card, but I don't know what that actually means. I can buy based on buzzwords but I'd like to get one that works well with what I have.

thanks.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Just get an "ATX" power supply, they all have compatible connectors now. Get a model with 400 W (or more for graphics card)
    Your picture of the board is all PCI-ex ports, for graphics card you're looking for the longest of them, in the middle. All modern cards use it exclusively.
    If you plan on adding a card like Nvidia GTX1050 or 1650 (or AMD RX460 or 550) - those generally get all necessary power from the slot.
    Mode advanced models like GTX1060/1660 or RX570/5500 require additional power connector - get a power supply with 500 watts or more for those.

Oh, and both graphics card manufacturers dropped native support for VGA monitor connector starting with GTX10** series for Nvidia and RX series for AMD. If you used that blue connector for monitor then you're going to need a digital connection instead: DVI or HDMI or Displayport. You're lucky if your monitor has an extra input, so you will need just a new cable, if not - look at newer monitors too
    Last edited by BenAkenobi; 03-17-2020 at 01:09 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    very good to know, thanks!

my monitor has an HDMI port on the back so I'm good there. though I have been looking at a 21:9 ever since they got one for us at work...

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    Oh, and both graphics card manufacturers dropped native support for VGA monitor connector starting with GTX10** series for Nvidia and RX series for AMD. If you used that blue connector for monitor then you're going to need a digital connection instead: DVI or HDMI or Displayport. You're lucky if your monitor has an extra input, so you will need just a new cable, if not - look at newer monitors too
    Can you recommend a 4K monitor? There is nothing wrong with my Asus VG248QE, but I'd like to go above 1080p at this point. Am I better off purchasing a 4K HDR TV for the price?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I'm not informed about specific monitors or TVs, this is the kind of choice you make in person, whether your eyes like what they see.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Can you recommend a 4K monitor? There is nothing wrong with my Asus VG248QE, but I'd like to go above 1080p at this point. Am I better off purchasing a 4K HDR TV for the price?
    Prob not a good idea to go with a TV as a PC monitor replacement, although it depends on the use. They're perfect for couch gaming and movies or youtube if you're able to sit far enough away but for general computer use they're not really made to be as crisp for reading text on news articles and things of that nature. PC monitors are made with you sitting arms length away in mind, TVs just aren't. Your results may very though.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Hey, all!

I'm running a Blue Yeti microphone on a 2012 MacBook Pro into Logic Pro X to record a podcast. For the first couple weeks or months I had no problems whatsoever. Lately, the issue is in the recording itself: it's always distorted and skipping all over. To be clear, I have no problem plugging in and monitoring my vocals, but when I playback the recording of my voice, it's completely shot to hell.

I'm pretty stumped since this problem came out of nowhere after a decent amount of time with no issues at all. There was even a brief period where it just seemed to just go away on its own but came roaring back.

The Yeti works no problem on other computers (which has been my solution to recording lately), but it's always distorted/skipping when I'm recording into my laptop. My fear is that I might have to update my OS, but this computer is getting so old and that seems like such a shot in the dark that it might not even work even if my computer survives the update. I'm currently running High Sierra – Version 10.13.3

Any help or direction anyone could provide would be awesome. Thank you!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    Hey, all!

I'm running a Blue Yeti microphone on a 2012 MacBook Pro into Logic Pro X to record a podcast. For the first couple weeks or months I had no problems whatsoever. Lately, the issue is in the recording itself: it's always distorted and skipping all over. To be clear, I have no problem plugging in and monitoring my vocals, but when I playback the recording of my voice, it's completely shot to hell.

I'm pretty stumped since this problem came out of nowhere after a decent amount of time with no issues at all. There was even a brief period where it just seemed to just go away on its own but came roaring back.

The Yeti works no problem on other computers (which has been my solution to recording lately), but it's always distorted/skipping when I'm recording into my laptop. My fear is that I might have to update my OS, but this computer is getting so old and that seems like such a shot in the dark that it might not even work even if my computer survives the update. I'm currently running High Sierra – Version 10.13.3

?????

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063
    Last edited by allegro; 04-23-2020 at 09:35 PM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
    Hey, all!

Just a shot in the dark; I haven't used Logic since 8...

Check/increase the I/O Buffer Size and make sure the I/O Safety Buffer option is enabled.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    ^^ Buffering is also big issue.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    I'm trying to download some extra features (mp4) from FoxExtras.com; the digital code only works a maximum of 10 times before it becomes invalid. So far, I have tried several basic browser extensions, youtube-dl, and jDownloader2 with no luck. Inspecting the page source reveals an encrypted video link wherein you have to specify the bitrate, so that's a dead-end for the time being. Is this possible to capture/download with ffmpeg or a similar command-line tool?

Here's the source code for the videos:

title: "The Story So Far",
    poster: "images/The-story-so-far.jpg",
    duration: "619",

source: [{"src":"http:\/\/foxhomedeliver-vh.akamaihd.net\/z\/FoxHomeEnt\/delivery\/fc\/f0\/fcf05b4f-680d-4aef-959a-2730d834c1ed\/trimmed_JamesBondCollectionBonusDisc_(56986)_NSVR_ V46514_VAM_C_HE_SCRNR1080p_23_ENG_178_ENG-ST_RT001016_TheStorySoFar_Addison_,400k,200k,2500k ,800k,1500k,4000k,1000k,600k,.mp4.csmil\/manifest.f4m","type":"video\/f4m"},{"src":"http:\/\/foxhomedeliver-vh.akamaihd.net\/i\/FoxHomeEnt\/delivery\/fc\/f0\/fcf05b4f-680d-4aef-959a-2730d834c1ed\/trimmed_JamesBondCollectionBonusDisc_(56986)_NSVR_ V46514_VAM_C_HE_SCRNR1080p_23_ENG_178_ENG-ST_RT001016_TheStorySoFar_Addison_,400k,200k,2500k ,800k,1500k,4000k,1000k,600k,.mp4.csmil\/master.m3u8","type":"application\/x-mpegURL"},{"src":"https:\/\/foxhome-a.akamaihd.net\/delivery\/fc\/f0\/fcf05b4f-680d-4aef-959a-2730d834c1ed\/dash-ondemand\/trimmed_JamesBondCollectionBonusDisc_(56986)_NSVR_ V46514_VAM_C_HE_SCRNR1080p_23_ENG_178_ENG-ST_RT001016_TheStorySoFar_Addison-f648fbae-c2c5-336d-2c96-819a9bcc68a4-ondemand.mpd","type":"application\/dash+xml"}]},{

================================================== ==================================================

title: "The Shadow of SPECTRE",
    poster: "images/The-Shadow-of-SPECTRE.jpg",
    duration: "518",

source: [{"src":"http:\/\/foxhomedeliver-vh.akamaihd.net\/z\/FoxHomeEnt\/delivery\/54\/8b\/548b6af0-8c16-4d4d-a4c5-79d0525a5540\/trimmed_JamesBondCollectionBonusDisc_(56986)_NSVR_ V46514_VAM_C_HE_SCRNR1080p_23_ENG_178_ENG-ST_RT000835_TheShadowOfSpectre_Addison_,4000k,800k ,1000k,600k,1500k,2500k,200k,400k,.mp4.csmil\/manifest.f4m","type":"video\/f4m"},{"src":"http:\/\/foxhomedeliver-vh.akamaihd.net\/i\/FoxHomeEnt\/delivery\/54\/8b\/548b6af0-8c16-4d4d-a4c5-79d0525a5540\/trimmed_JamesBondCollectionBonusDisc_(56986)_NSVR_ V46514_VAM_C_HE_SCRNR1080p_23_ENG_178_ENG-ST_RT000835_TheShadowOfSpectre_Addison_,4000k,800k ,1000k,600k,1500k,2500k,200k,400k,.mp4.csmil\/master.m3u8","type":"application\/x-mpegURL"},{"src":"https:\/\/foxhome-a.akamaihd.net\/delivery\/54\/8b\/548b6af0-8c16-4d4d-a4c5-79d0525a5540\/dash-ondemand\/trimmed_JamesBondCollectionBonusDisc_(56986)_NSVR_ V46514_VAM_C_HE_SCRNR1080p_23_ENG_178_ENG-ST_RT000835_TheShadowOfSpectre_Addison-f648fbae-c2c5-336d-2c96-819a9bcc68a4-ondemand.mpd","type":"application\/dash+xml"}]} ];

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I'm really getting tired of how slow the firestick is and how it keeps failing and just saying "home isn't available". I've heard the nvidia shield is a really good Plex hardware and it also does a lot of the same things that the firestick does so I'm very interested. That said I'm also hesitant about the $200 price point. Does anyone have experiences with it?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I'm really getting tired of how slow the firestick is and how it keeps failing and just saying "home isn't available". I've heard the nvidia shield is a really good Plex hardware and it also does a lot of the same things that the firestick does so I'm very interested. That said I'm also hesitant about the $200 price point. Does anyone have experiences with it?
    a fire stick is essentially a flash drive with an HDMI output. it doesn't have a processor. the FireTV (which we have in our bedroom, and we got to replace our SECOND fire stick that got fucked up) is a better unit, but still not my favorite thing to use.

i'd get a roku. cheap but well-made, 4K available, super easy to use, and way fewer issues than other things. i have an AppleTV and i like it but if it ever fails, i'm replacing it with a roku.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    A Roku Ultra is $100 cheaper than an Apple TV 4K and an Nvidia Shield TV Pro. The Roku has your bases covered with USB, microSD, and Atmos capability.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    How it is with Plex? That's the thing is I have a semi-large library and would want the one that can take the videos. If I can start using raw MKV files instead of having to transcode everything that would be awesome.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I have 4 Roku sticks, 2 Fire sticks, 2 old Apple TVs (now in the electronic recycling bin), a FireTV (also in the bin) and an Apple TV 4K.

I have run them all through all kinds extensive shit, as I have 7 televisions and a big network in a stretch ranch house with two stories and the router in the basement where the main office is located. I have XFi with their pods.

The Rokus make me nuts because they freeze more than ANY of my other devices, because they want to run at 2.4 ghz and, like @eversonpoe said, they’re flash drives with an HDMI port and no processor or cache.

The only consistent and reliable device I have is my Apple TV. You will pry it from my cold, dead hands (until I wire my house for Cat6, but even then I'll run it on my Cat6 network).

I also miss my Apple AirPort Extreme router, but that’s another topic.

The BEST option is an Ethernet connection between your router and your device. Roku Ultra does that. (Apple TV 4K does it, too.) Roku has an app for Xfinity if you have Xfinity and want to get rid of the Xfinity box. (It's total shite on the Roku stick.)
    Last edited by allegro; 07-09-2020 at 01:56 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    The Rokus make me nuts because they freeze more than ANY of my other devices, because they want to run at 2.4 ghz and, like @eversonpoe said, they’re flash drives with an HDMI port and no processor or cache.
    i was talking about the Fire Stick but i'm sure the same applies to the Roku Stick, since it's essentially the same device with different software.

i would definitely say a Roku Ultra is the way to go.

i have one of those AppleTVs that's basically a 4K model but only goes up to 1080 (which is fine as i'm still using my LG Plasma Monitor from 2007). at least it has the app store instead of whatever pre-installed apps come with the old ones and you can't do anything about it!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i was talking about the Fire Stick but i'm sure the same applies to the Roku Stick, since it's essentially the same device with different software.
    The Fire Stick actually has a cache you can clear, whereas the Roku Stick kinda does but it buffers the fuck out of everything.

If you need to clear the cache on the Fire Stick, it’s easily done in Settings. Lol at the Roku Stick method.
    Last edited by allegro; 07-09-2020 at 11:52 PM.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    How it is with Plex? That's the thing is I have a semi-large library and would want the one that can take the videos. If I can start using raw MKV files instead of having to transcode everything that would be awesome.
    I'll be honest: I have zero experience with Plex. I still copy stuff onto a USB stick; I have yet to need to convert anything with my Sony 4K Blu-ray player (including x265).

Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    The Ultra is much better (and more stable) than the sticks. It has an ARM Cortex A53 processor.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Sorry, I mean for the DVDs and Blu Rays that I own and have converted to digital MKV files. They are raw MKV at that point and take up about 4-6 GB for DVDs. I use handbrake to convert them to H.265 (previously 264) files that then play with varying effect on my firestick via plex.

It's a long process to convert the movies. Granted part of the reason I do it is to save on HDD space but the Shield can play the files directly from an attached hard drive. And if it can decode the larger files without stuttering? That's even better. Right now if I use one of those raw files it just doesn't look right for some reason and I attribute that to the transcoding that takes place from the computer to the software.

Which all makes very little sense if you've never used Plex, I just realize. lol

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I have some .VOB files that were originally parts of the same DVD image, but nothing else (no .BUP or .IFO files). I want to reauthor them to have a proper DVD image again. Don't care about menu or chapters, just need them to play flawlessly and keep aspect ratio. Any help?

Edit: done what I needed with IfoEdit tool and some old-ass guide from 2002 or so I found online.
    Last edited by fillow; 07-14-2020 at 05:39 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Soooo...my XPS laptop has a broken camera AND audio port. My warranty is mail-in service only (always read the fine print I guess).

I was thinking of getting a desktop as a backup anyway, but now I need something while I send my laptop in for repair. I'm having a hard time making a decision.

Ideally I need i5 processor or newer, 16GB ram, and a SSD - size isn't too much of an issue because most of the stuff is saved on work cloud or server. I'm tempted to get a Dell with 8GB ram (with the better warranty), and just get another ram card, but I'm not tech savvy. I'm worried I'll buy the wrong thing and not be able to add another 8GB of ram.

The key is processing and memory because I always have 4-6 programs up and running through a VPN. Any suggestions?
    I wish I had the time/ energy/ know-how to build my own, but I work 11-12 hr days as it is.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Soooo...my XPS laptop has a broken camera AND audio port. My warranty is mail-in service only (always read the fine print I guess).

I was thinking of getting a desktop as a backup anyway, but now I need something while I send my laptop in for repair. I'm having a hard time making a decision.

Ideally I need i5 processor or newer, 16GB ram, and a SSD - size isn't too much of an issue because most of the stuff is saved on work cloud or server. I'm tempted to get a Dell with 8GB ram (with the better warranty), and just get another ram card, but I'm not tech savvy. I'm worried I'll buy the wrong thing and not be able to add another 8GB of ram.

The key is processing and memory because I always have 4-6 programs up and running through a VPN. Any suggestions?
    I wish I had the time/ energy/ know-how to build my own, but I work 11-12 hr days as it is.
    i was going to offer my old (but still very functional) mac laptop until i read the specs :/
    hope you can find something!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Awww, thanks.
    I think I'm just going to pony up the $$$ for the better warranty on my computer for them to do on-site/ at home fix. At least the BIOS update fixed my audio jack. I just need the camera fixed now.