Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Thread: The Apple Thread

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Lets be fair here. A lot of stuff Samsung packs in there is utterly useless. Even their NFC isn't all that great. Just because they were first to add something doesn't mean it's necessarily better.

On one hand Samsung does right with removable battery, USB port, and MicroSD. On other they have botchy software that is bloated and updated barely once a year. The Iphone is missing some of those other things but the design and software are tightly woven together. Both have plus/minuses.

Truthfully, for me, if it weren't for the integration of Imessage and other features between the whole ecosystem (iphone,ipad, macbook) i may have given Samsung/Android a go.

As it is i am firmly committed to Apple for better or worse.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I'm firmly entrenched in the Apple ecosystem due to software for work (AutoCAD among other things won't run on linux, and I'd be running Debian like I do at home if I had any choice). The extended battery on the plus looks nice, but it's probably too big. I had looked at the Samsung S4 when I got the iPhone 5, and it was just too big for my hands. I'll visit an Apple store in 2-3 months once the newness has worn off and assess; I'm in no hurry to replace my current phone.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I'm ordering a 128 6 plus and a 64 regular 6 on Friday. The plus phone pretty much negates any reason for me to carry an ipad around.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    So.....am I the only on here that is gonna get in on the preorders on Friday????
    @tony.parente I went to Apple today to get my battery replaced per your fantastic find. After wasting nearly 2 hours, they said that they couldn't replace the battery due to having an aftermarket glass on it. I left super upset but good thing I didn't go off on them because I think they did replace the battery even though they said they didn't. My phone has been holding a charge since I left about 2:40 this afternoon. Otherwise, I would have had to charge it at least twice. Thanks again!!!
    Haha those sneaky bastards. This will be my first launch iPhone only because I'll happen to be getting a bonus at work the day the presales go up. I've been running this 4s for almost 3 years now.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    After using my aging iPhone 4s with an iPhone 6 Plus sized piece of cardboard strapped to the back of it most of the day (mainly to test whether it fit in my pocket & whether or not it seemed weird to hold that big of a phone) I think I'm pre-ordering a 128GB Plus.

Also, from a business standpoint I kind of like the 16GB, 64GB, 128GB options. Yeah, as a consumer it sucks if you wanted a 32GB to not have that in the base model, but people who would buy the base model no matter what would probably still be happy with 16GB, & people who need\want more move up to the next highest model.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Generally speaking about smartwatches, it's just so fucking obvious that nobody knows a use case for those things so everyone is coming up with shitty ideas that nobody needs. Seriously, who wants to send their friend a drawing of a fish.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    So, I'm not getting any of the products Apple announced yesterday, because I don't want a smartwatch and I bought a 5c last year that still works perfectly fine.

The 6 and 6 Plus look like solid upgrades to an already-great phone line. The 6 Plus does seem kind of comically big, though - they really need to cut down on those bezels, particularly the top one, since TouchID puts a limit on how small the bottom bezel can be.

The Apple Watch...man, those knee-jerk reactions were hysterical. Yeah, it's not a "premium" looking smartwatch, but the only premium smartwatch on the market (the Moto 360) was hyped up for six months straight, and then the hype train crashed, killing millions and resulting in a device that's fucking garbage. If Apple put out a smartwatch that's this unimpressive, maybe smartwatches aren't the future, guys.

On the Nexus 4 / iPhone 6 comparison - guess what the difference is there? People are actually going to buy an iPhone. Nobody bought the Nexus 4 because it's designed for people on the Android subreddit to cum all over. The average consumer will always buy the iPhone and whatever garbage Samsung shits out.

I've never seen Ron Amadeo be that openly douchey about his love of Android, though. That's weird.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    The watch looks like it's primarily trying to compete with activity trackers like the Nike Fuel, Jawbone, Fitbit, Striiv, Samsung Gear Fit, etc. markets. That's mostly why I'd want one, since I got sick of wearing my Striiv Play. But that's WAY too expensive to compete with that market.
    Last edited by allegro; 09-10-2014 at 04:45 PM.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    $350 tamagotchi

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yeah, my Striiv Play was $70 and I'd go walking just to get enough gold to build stuff on my fucking island on my iPhone app until I was obsessed, but I ultimately figured out that I could get the items on my island to generate enough gold on their own and I could sit on my ass and not walk at all and sit there like a My Land island real estate mogul.

Speaking of iPhone fitness apps, these Lolo Beatburn apps are fucking awesome.
    Last edited by allegro; 09-11-2014 at 01:00 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    If this new payment system catches on (especially the online stuff) I might finally buy an iPhone. Maybe. I just don't need a phone to do things that my iPad Mini already does, and I really don't need to pay $80/mo for a phone when my ancient prepaid dumbphone costs me 10% of that. I barely need a phone at all, so why pay through the nose?

Meanwhile, my phone is my watch, so I don't need a thing on my wrist either.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The watch looks like it's primarily trying to compete with activity trackers like the Nike Fuel, Jawbone, Fitbit, Striiv, Samsung Gear Fit, etc. markets. That's mostly why I'd want one, since I got sick of wearing my Striiv Play. But that's WAY too expensive to compete with that market.
    Honestly, now I don't really get why they discontinued the Nike Fuelband. That was also way overpriced but at least it was 250 bucks cheaper.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    Honestly, now I don't really get why they discontinued the Nike Fuelband. That was also way overpriced but at least it was 250 bucks cheaper.
    Here's an article re that market. It's a huge market right now (but is probably a dying trend). I think the biggest problem with the Fuelband was accuracy and people had problems with it dying. I've had a few wearable activity trackers but not the wristband varieties; I had problems with the other wearables falling off so I needed leashes but the wristband wearables were not "watch" enough to replace my actual watch (the wristband activity tracker market also includes the sleep-tracker market so you wear it to bed, too).

See also this. Garmin's not calling it a smartwatch at all.

See also this.

Is Apple claiming that it can read a pulse directly from the watch? If you could connect it to your heart monitor on your chest via a Bluetooth connection, that's great. But if they're thinking you can get a pulse count from your watch, I think that's gonna be a total load of crap. And there's probably going to be a stride problem and sensor problem related to pacing and activity. And altitude? Really? Yeah, I don't think so.

Also, these wearable activity trackers have had a terrible problem with picking up movement in the car and counting it as "activity." So you drive to work and, wow, your activity just went up 2,000 steps! From sitting on your ass in the car! The only ones that don't have that problem are the ones that use GPS. And of course that means it's eating your smartphone and watch battery like crazy.

Studies have shown what I already discovered, personally, about these activity trackers: They don't work. They work for a little while, but you give up. You get bored with it. And these things end up in a drawer collecting dust. Or they end up dead. The things that REALLY work? GPS apps like MapMyRun or Walkmeter when you're outdoors and an old-fashioned pedometer when you're indoors, and an old-fashioned heart rate / wrist monitor. And a journal/log book. Period.
    Last edited by allegro; 09-11-2014 at 02:51 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I've been using Runkeeper on my iPhone for tracking my running about 5 years now and I was hoping that the Apple Watch could replace my phone in that matter. So my biggest problem with the watch is that it doesn't have built in GPS, which means that I'd still have to bring my phone along on the run and that kind of defeats the purpose of buying one. Although it would be kind of nice to have all the data easily accessible on your wrist, but to pay 349$ for that functionality.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Alright.... people are getting WAY too bent out of shape over the U2 album thing, dontchyah think? it's a harmless intangible and easily ignored piece of ones and zeros... - hide it from your library if you must and move on, it ain't the end of the world.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Alright.... people are getting WAY too bent out of shape over the U2 album thing, dontchyah think? it's a harmless intangible and easily ignored piece of ones and zeros... - hide it from your library if you must and move on, it ain't the end of the world.
    This kind of thing always annoys. I remember when sing star was forcefully pushed to all ps3 users. Same thing

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    After a bunch of research, I decided to stick with Apple on this one. I picked up a 6. I debated trying the 6+ and returning it in their 2-4week window if I didn't like it but... meh.

Their preorder has been a fucking shitshow though. It's already 40min in and their store is still down. Their Apple Store app came up like 20min after the window.

Various carriers (AT&T, Verizon, etc) all opened up but quickly buckled under the load, but that part is normal.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Yeah it's a clusterfuck, I'm having issues with their payment system and it won't let upgrade until customer care opens up in 5 hours and I'm afraid they'll be sold out by then. I'm entitled to an upgrade, my bill is current and i have cash in hand trying to upgrade but it won't allow me to.
    #firstworldproblems

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Is Apple claiming that it can read a pulse directly from the watch? If you could connect it to your heart monitor on your chest via a Bluetooth connection, that's great. But if they're thinking you can get a pulse count from your watch, I think that's gonna be a total load of crap. And there's probably going to be a stride problem and sensor problem related to pacing and activity. And altitude? Really? Yeah, I don't think so.
    I think it works with light, like these apps where you put your finger on the LED of your phone and it measures the changes of the intensity of the light that goes through your finger with the camera. But I doubt Apple would put something out that doesn't work correctly with the resources and research they have.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I am really really skeptical of the apple watch. This just doesn't seem like a very realized idea.

EDIT: and wait... people are upset that there's a free U2 album in their library? I do not get that at all.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 09-12-2014 at 03:58 AM.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    EDIT: and wait... people are upset that there's a free U2 album in their library? I do not get that at all.
    I don't think it's U2 as much as the fact that they're associated with Apple. Kind of like how people don't really dislike members on here until they associate themselves with me.

lol

Also I was able to find a workaround and was able to order my iPhone.
    64gb space grey on att. And this case

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    I think it works with light, like these apps where you put your finger on the LED of your phone and it measures the changes of the intensity of the light that goes through your finger with the camera. But I doubt Apple would put something out that doesn't work correctly with the resources and research they have.
    Wanna bet?

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Wanna bet?
    nu uh, you're just holding it wrong

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    What do you know .. my iPhone 5 died.
    After several years using an iPhone, I'm jumping on the other side with the S5. I'll test it for 2 years.
    Would wait for the Nexus 6 but I need a phone now.
    Hopefully, I won't regret my decision.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Also I was able to find a workaround and was able to order my iPhone.
    64gb space grey on att. And this case

Ooo, nice. I'm usually saddened when I see iPhones smothered in plastic cases — I'm not sure my boss ever saw her 5S in its natural state— but this one actually adds something and doesn't totally cover up the design of the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    It's not a bad album — I've had the opening track stuck in my head for a few days, though Raised by Wolves is better — but it doesn't have the quirkiness that made No Line on the Horizon interesting. Listenable but unremarkable.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    What do you know .. my iPhone 5 died.
    After several years using an iPhone, I'm jumping on the other side with the S5. I'll test it for 2 years.
    Would wait for the Nexus 6 but I need a phone now.
    Hopefully, I won't regret my decision.
    Get a nexus 5. Way better than the samsung. I've got both.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Ptttttht I like this S5.

Fuck smartphones, where's my iPad Pro???
    Last edited by allegro; 09-13-2014 at 11:37 PM.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVYDRNS View Post
    Get a nexus 5. Way better than the samsung. I've got both.
    My top priority is space.
    S5 = expendable memory. Nexus 5 is only 16GB that doesn't cut it for me.
    S5 is a bargain compared to the iPhone 6 128GB or even the 64GB.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    My top priority is space.
    S5 = expendable memory. Nexus 5 is only 16GB that doesn't cut it for me.
    S5 is a bargain compared to the iPhone 6 128GB or even the 64GB.
    Ah I got the 32 gig one.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Fuck smartphones, where's my iPad Pro???
    You really want something bigger than an 10" iPad? I could never go back after having a Mini, so I can't even imagine what it would feel like to carry around an even bigger one unless it manages to weighs less than my old iPad 1.