Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cassette Tape Collectors (for fans of dying formats)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Four Tet - New Energy

Stranger Things - V/A Soundtrack with dialogue snippets, and Original Music by Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein
    Last edited by hologram parade; 12-01-2019 at 10:04 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    AIR's Moon Safari just turned 20 years old! I didn't become aware of this album until 2010 sadly, but i fell in love quickly

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Ninos Du Brasil ‎– Vida Eterna (Hospital Productions)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Rainforest Spiritual Enslavement - Red Ants Genesis (this guy is opening for nin soon under his vatican show moniker )

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hologram parade View Post
    Rainforest Spiritual Enslavement - Red Ants Genesis (this guy is opening for nin soon under his vatican shadow moniker )
    (fixed that for you)

vatican shadow is opening for NIN!?!?!? holy shit!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    will soon be posting pictures of a few things i've gotten recently (and in the last year or two) that i haven't been able to listen to because my tape deck needed its band replaced.

however, i just now tried to work on it and could not for the life of me figure out how to get the motor assembly out to where i could replace the band, so i sadly closed it back up and am trying not to be too bummed. will have to ask my dad for some assistance, i guess. :/

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Terekke - Plant Age

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    While I grew up with cassettes tapes myself, I was also far too young to get into music at the time, and by the time I did, CDs have already taken over. However, I have lots of fond memories recording my CDs onto cassette. I never enjoy hearing the tape hiss sound. I also had no idea about the other types of cassettes at all either, and am so happy that I came across these videos, which would seem to be very appropriate for this thread.

You also could probably say the same about vinyl, but what I sometimes like about cassettes is that it forces me to listening to an album all the way through when chilling out to it, as opposed to getting tempted to skip around. Sure, you can pick up the needle, or rewind and fast-forward, but for me, it's more of a deterrent to jump around the album and just go with the flow. When the time comes, just for the sake of nostalgia, I think I'll get a portable cassette player, portable CD player and a boombox with a cassette player and a CD player.

My favorite cassettes to get where Maxell and TDK, at 120 minutes long, at 1 hour on both sides, since most albums can fit on each side. It was certainly fun to have The Fragile and Ghosts I-IV on one cassette as a result, and it was definitely my hobby prior to CD burning.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

finally got a deck to replace my yahama that was running slow. i had never heard of proton before but it sounds great, so i'm happy.

and here's all the tapes that i've gotten in the last couple years and haven’t been able to play since their acquisition, but can finally listen to now that i have a working tape deck again!

nine inch nails - pretty hate machine (1989 pressing, SR variant), broken (1992 pressing), fixed (1992 canadian second pressing), the downward spiral (1994 original US pressing), closer (single), the day the world went away (single), the fragile (1999 malaysian pressing in unique case)

mamiffer - recordings for lilac iii, split with demian johnston (limited to 110 copies), a live collaboration with daniel menche (ash-painted, hand-sewn cover, limited to 50 copies)

jodis - secret house & black curtain (2xCS box with hand-painted cover & hand-sewn booklet, limited to 75 copies)

sumacband - wfmu

sons of magdalene - ecumenicals

over the garden wall - for sara (original mondo pressing, limited to 1000 copies)

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    ^ Wow, that Fragile variant case is a beauty! There's also an easter egg on the Halo 13 cassette version of "Starfuckers, Inc." in case you haven't heard it... doesn't appear anywhere else.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    So, I collect old cassettes, mainly ones from the 80s I find at thrift stores and such, but I honestly don't understand the cassette tape revival. It's not that convenient - I never listen to my tapes - and in most cases, the tapes cost just as much or more than the CDs, at least when you order online. I like finding old tapes of bands like The Cure, Depeche Mode, NIN etc. or even just cheesy acts like NKOTB. It's just fun! And I like getting them for cheap. But I don't really care for buying new releases on cassettes unless it's cheap. Otherwise, I stick with vinyl and CD.

I've actually found some great tapes at the thrift store, like Boys Don't Cry - The Cure, PHM - NIN, Broken - NIN, Dookie - Green Day etc. The last really great tape I found randomly was DWS at a garage sale. It didn't have the slip case, but I recognized the artwork just from the spin instantly.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaydraven View Post
    So, I collect old cassettes, mainly ones from the 80s I find at thrift stores and such, but I honestly don't understand the cassette tape revival. It's not that convenient - I never listen to my tapes - and in most cases, the tapes cost just as much or more than the CDs, at least when you order online. I like finding old tapes of bands like The Cure, Depeche Mode, NIN etc. or even just cheesy acts like NKOTB. It's just fun! And I like getting them for cheap. But I don't really care for buying new releases on cassettes unless it's cheap. Otherwise, I stick with vinyl and CD.

I've actually found some great tapes at the thrift store, like Boys Don't Cry - The Cure, PHM - NIN, Broken - NIN, Dookie - Green Day etc. The last really great tape I found randomly was DWS at a garage sale. It didn't have the slip case, but I recognized the artwork just from the spin instantly.
    i buy tapes that are:

aesthetically pleasing
    by a band i'm obsessed with (cough cough NIN cough)
    only available on cassette
    cheap and sentimental

my wife and i have a couple paula abdul tapes that were hers and her sister's when they were kids, but mostly i love having stuff that's only available on cassette because it feels like this cool, secret thing for some reason. Sige records (aaron turner & faith coloccia's label) puts out a lot of cassette-exclusive releases and i have many of them.

@botley the copy i got is sealed and i can't decide whether or not to open it. what's the surprise???

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    the copy i got is sealed and i can't decide whether or not to open it. what's the surprise???
    The crowd chants "Nine Inch Nails!" at the end of the KISS outro instead of the usual few chords of Complication playing. Not really worth opening if it's sealed, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    The crowd chants "Nine Inch Nails!" at the end of the KISS outro instead of the usual few chords of Complication playing. Not really worth opening if it's sealed, in my opinion.
    So like the "The Day The World Went Away" (Halo 13) version?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Yeah, but the CD version has the first few chords of Complication start up as if they're going to keep playing live. The cassette doesn't have that. The crowd chants instead. So it's a slight variation of the CD version.
    Last edited by Tyson; 07-24-2018 at 04:50 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i buy tapes that are:

aesthetically pleasing
    by a band i'm obsessed with (cough cough NIN cough)
    only available on cassette
    cheap and sentimental

my wife and i have a couple paula abdul tapes that were hers and her sister's when they were kids, but mostly i love having stuff that's only available on cassette because it feels like this cool, secret thing for some reason. Sige records (aaron turner & faith coloccia's label) puts out a lot of cassette-exclusive releases and i have many of them.

@botley the copy i got is sealed and i can't decide whether or not to open it. what's the surprise???
    That makes sense. I agree getting something that's only available on cassette feels like a rare treat. I just don't get bands releasing their new albums on it when they also released it on cd and vinyl. But that's just me. There are definitely tapes in my collection that I cherish like the random Depeche Mode singles I found in a dusty box at Half price books.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

thanks to my friend alex, i just added all these beauties to my collection (for free!!!)

gish (1994 repress)
    siamese dream (original 1993 pressing)
    mellon collie and the infinite sadness (original 1995 pressing in unique case)
    bullet with butterfly wings

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Any John Carpenter fans in here? The John Carpenter Sacred Bones Collection Cassette Box Set is available now.

https://exclusives.discogs.com/product/the-sacred-bones-collection/

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    The Black Queen

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Ordered The Prodigy's No Tourists on tape, awaiting its arrival

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Last edited by hologram parade; 03-01-2019 at 10:44 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Last tape I bought was The Prodigy's newest album No Tourists when it came out...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    https://unvibes.bandcamp.com/album/un-coltsblood

managed to get my hands on one of 100 copies of this split cassette. i discovered Un because they're on translation loss, one of my fav labels. i have an upcoming vinyl pressing of their second album on pre-order and am hoping to get their first album as well. didn't want to miss out on this, as i really, really love their stuff.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

coltsblood / un • split
    swamp green cassette, #45/100