Page 45 of 84 FirstFirst ... 35 43 44 45 46 47 55 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 2500

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChipRock View Post
    That is a shame. I went to my local record store yesterday (that was HMV, in the UK) and they had shed loads of Blackstar - on CD and vinyl! Not to mention pretty much the whole back catalogue at reduced price. Hell, they even had Sound + Vision box sets, and The Next Day deluxe sets. Actually I'm not sure why I didn't just buy all of it. Most of my Bowie collection is digital.

Oh yeah, and I'm pretty sure there isn't a 'clean' version of Blackstar. Aren't there places in the States that won't normally stock 'Explicit' records? Or is that a myth?
    Wal-Mart and K-Mart are the last 2 major places I know of that sell "Clean" versions of albums. It's just a little something extra to collect; I can't even recall buying a clean record since ...Like Clockwork.

...And yeah, it sounds like it's a joke that there's no copies of Blackstar around here until you hit every place including Best Buy and Barnes & Noble (and check online for in-store availability), and it says I'm traveling at least 43 miles

On a side note, there are 6 copies in a 50 mile radius as far as the library system goes, all of those are checked out as well.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    so do we think they're going to do a third vinyl pressing of Blackstar that doesn't have the issues that the second pressing has? because i don't want to spend $35 on such a great album only to have it sound like shit.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    At the risk of sounding greedy, do you have any more of these amazing compilations @emptydesk ?

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Nice, anymore stuff coming from the 80s such as demos as I heard the demos for stuff from Tonight and Never Let Me Down are vastly superior from the final versions?
    I'm not sure from your wording if that's what you're asking, but I believe none of those demos are actually in circulation or otherwise heard by anyone aside from Bowie and his musicians and friends. Some of which (including the man himself) refereed to them as pretty good songs all around that suffered from typical 80s production standards.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    @emptydesk LOVE those last 2 uploads immensely!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I mean I do but I'm not really interested in the 83, 87, and 90 tours... And the 2002-04 stuff is mostly pro recorded and easy to find.

I'd just be recycling stuff from those same sources for 95-97.

I could probably squeeze out a mean 70s live disc still. Gimme a couple hours.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    If you're good and I get some free time I'll have something by the wee hours.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/1fk30e
    http://www74.zippyshare.com/v/R3yLddCw/file.html

320 from flac
    source material may vary
    100% soundboard

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Michael C Hall's performance of Lazarus has been removed from youtube for some reason, and on Colbert's website, it's only viewable in Canada.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    Michael C Hall's performance of Lazarus has been removed from youtube for some reason, and on Colbert's website, it's only viewable in Canada.
    I watched that less than 12 hours ago; the video hasn't been removed but was made "Private".

--------------

I really hope these future David Bowie releases "divided by era" end up being exactly like Miles Davis' Complete box sets put out by Columbia/Legacy. I know that's extremely wishful thinking...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Another great and cool upload. Thanks.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I'm right now listening to an interview with Joe Elliott of Def Leppard on Eddie Trunk's radio show on the news on Bowie's death and HOLY SHIT! I'm listening to the conversation about Elliott's friendship with Bowie and Elliott mentioned the song "Silly Boy Blue" and Bowie was like "wait a minute, you know that song?" and that was probably why he re-recorded it for Toy. Thank you Joe. Please, put Def Leppard in a Bowie tribute concert/album. Those dudes are Bowie are fucking hardcore fans of his.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Reeves Gabrels is like a middle management guy doing the last 20 seconds of Marty Mcfly's "Johnny B Goode" over and over on a loop.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    What does that even mean?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    You know when songs are stuck in your head for days and you whisper random lines.
    I just want to say that the song "Everyone Says Hi" is such song for me now.
    The line "buy a little frame, something cheap" makes me want to give the man a hug like no other moment on the album (or a dozen albums before/after that).

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    What does that even mean?
    I think I get it... sorta? Oh wait.... no... no I don't. That was weird man.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I get it. Strange, funny metaphor but I think it means that he's a fairly uninteresting musician that focus on overly technical noodling/shredding instead of what the song actually calls for.

But still, haha.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Announced on Bowie's official Facebook page, 2 Record Store Day releases:

1. TVC15 picture disc 7"

2. The Man Who Sold The World album picture disc

I'm definitely interested in both, though doubt my ability to grab either b/c of RSD ridiculousness...

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Is the version of "Can't Help Thinking About Me" (David Bowie with The Lower Third) from Nothing Has Changed presented in "mono"? The back of the box set and case for discs 2 & 3 list the track as mono, while the booklet does not have the track marked as such.
    Last edited by Jon; 03-07-2016 at 02:12 PM.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Is the version of "Can't Help Thinking About Me" (David Bowie with The Lower Third) from Nothing Has Changed presented in "mono"? The back of the box set and case for discs 2 & 3 list the track as mono, while the booklet does not have the track marked as such.
    Yep, it's mono. Seems to have been played back at some point on a stereo tape machine (there's a very slight difference in level between the two CD channels) but the source itself = definitely mono. Same goes for "You've Got a Habit of Leaving" on that disc.
    Last edited by botley; 03-07-2016 at 04:14 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    part of me really wishes there had been an Outside.2

That album always troubled me a little, because I felt its message was: heh, wouldn't it be cool to be a serial killer?
    one day, you MUST explain to me how you arrived at this conclusion. it's one of my favorite albums of all time, if not my flat out favorite, but i've never caught a concrete thematic message from it. for me, it's more like a dissociative fugue kind of thing, with characters and fragments of story strewn here and there.

also, ALL of me wishes there had been an Outside 2. As much as i loved earthling, i was pretty goddamned heartbroken that it wasn't Outside 2
    Last edited by elevenism; 03-09-2016 at 10:33 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 12:25 PM. Reason: typos I'm the King of typos

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Outside was just exploring the themes of what constitutes acceptable art through a very loosely assembled futuristic techno-noir story, using modern outsider art as a reference point.

Side note: when I re-examined the narrative last year I came away 95% certain that Leon was the guy who murdered Baby Grace.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I can't believe it's been two months since he died. The whole thing just seems surreal.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Listening to the 1979 re-record of the song Space Oddity, made ten years after the original. While I haven't decided if I like it more than the original musically (both have their advantages for me), it is much easier on my ears from a production standpoint. I absolutely cannot stand 60's music in stereo while wearing headphones. I much prefer the mono mixes from that era. Same with the Beatles. Placing the entire drumkit on the left channel drives me nuts. I know for a fact that @botley will agree with me. Like he once said, "only REAL MEN mix in mono."

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Placing the entire drumkit on the left channel drives me nuts.
    I have the same issue with The Doors early albums. Unlistenable in headphones.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I have the same issue with The Doors early albums. Unlistenable in headphones.
    Some music players, such as foobar2000 (which I use), have a "Downmix channels to mono". I use it when I come across these kinds of stereo mixes, and it works like a charm!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    The only time I've ever had trouble with listening to old stereo mixes in headphones is The Beatles because their mixes were so wide. But it's not really a problem considering the mono versions exist.

The first two albums by The Doors exist in mono, so I really recommend downloading them if you can find decent vinyl rips. They've never been released on cd AFAIK.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    The first two albums by The Doors exist in mono
    And, to get this thread back on track, so does Space Oddity!