Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    Its gone, what was it?...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I hope there’s at least a few songs that have lyrics that aren’t just full-preachy on the nose complaining. Part of my love of APC has been MJK’s writing style and the open-ended nature of a lot of it and all of these songs sonfar have left zero room for subtlety or interpretation.

That album cover is baffling. I’m surprised how little excitement I’m feeling around this even though I’ve always loved APC more than Tool. I haven’t thoroughly enjoyed any of these singles.
    I wonder what you think of their third album?
    I was like 19 or 20 when Mer De Noms came out and it's a strong contender for my favorite album of all time. I literally listened to NOTHING BUT that album for about 4 months when it came out and saw APC 3 times when that was their only album.

I also LOVE Thirteenth Step, especially The Package, The Noose, and The Nurse Who Loved Me. It has a very October sound.

But they kind of lost me on Emotive. On the one hand, i thought it was really cool that they were doing war protest songs. However, it was just NOWHERE near as good as MDN and TS.

I totally AGREE with the lyrics and meaning of the new APC song, but it's just not really what i want out of APC. I wish there was just ONE preachy song; that would be fucking awesome.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Is one of the songs a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference???

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    But they kind of lost me on Emotive. On the one hand, i thought it was really cool that they were doing war protest songs. However, it was just NOWHERE near as good as MDN and TS.
    I actually like eMOTIVe more than Thirteenth Step. Unpopular opinion, sure, but I like the variety it has.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Im pretty indifferent on eMOTIVe....i do love Passive though...great song

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Out of the three (maybe four... By n Down?) Talk Talk is probs my immediate fav, love the guitar tones and the vocals through the intro. But yeah.. that artwork.. I guess its not quite as 'bad' as the Pucsifer ones, but at least with those you know there is a wink and a nod, with APC, I'm not so sure. To be fair to them, sometimes its not the bands decision, or you know, they like it, so whatever, as long as the music is as good as those new tracks I'll be a happy bunny.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixML View Post
    God I love this new song TalkTalk.

1 Eat The Elephant
    2 Disillusioned
    3 The Contrarian
    4 The Doomed
    5 So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish
    6 TalkTalk
    7 By And Down The River
    8 Delicious
    9 DLB
    10 Hourglass
    11 Feathers
    12 Get The Lead Out

Track 7? ok sure...

April 20th? God damnit.. Well, what's 3 months over 14 years? It might actually release before NIN EP3....

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidcalm View Post
    Out of the three (maybe four... By n Down?) Talk Talk is probs my immediate fav, love the guitar tones and the vocals through the intro. But yeah.. that artwork.. I guess its not quite as 'bad' as the Pucsifer ones, but at least with those you know there is a wink and a nod, with APC, I'm not so sure. To be fair to them, sometimes its not the bands decision, or you know, they like it, so whatever, as long as the music is as good as those new tracks I'll be a happy bunny.
    Yeah, TalkTalk is my favourite of the bunch as well. It's the song I keep going back to. It's easily the closest to that classic APC sound I've grown to love. It sounds like it could fit in the MDN era, which is my favourite album.

And, we've already hard half the album already when you take "Feathers" and "Hourglass" into account as well. There are 12 songs, and we've heard 6 of them (assuming By and down the river is the same).

That kinda bugs me. I hate how before records even come out there days, we've already heard half of them. I find this happens a lot these days. Back in the day, we would have 1 lead single to promote a record maybe 1-2 months before it's release and then the rest of the album would be saved for the release date. These days, it seems like artists will push out as much content before the release date as they possibly can. It's not uncommon to get 3 singles or music videos before the album even drops. It makes it hard for fans that want to wait for the album to hear it all together in one sitting

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    Yeah, TalkTalk is my favourite of the bunch as well. It's the song I keep going back to. It's easily the closest to that classic APC sound I've grown to love. It sounds like it could fit in the MDN era, which is my favourite album.

And, we've already hard half the album already when you take "Feathers" and "Hourglass" into account as well. There are 12 songs, and we've heard 6 of them (assuming By and down the river is the same).

That kinda bugs me. I hate how before records even come out there days, we've already heard half of them. I find this happens a lot these days. Back in the day, we would have 1 lead single to promote a record maybe 1-2 months before it's release and then the rest of the album would be saved for the release date. These days, it seems like artists will push out as much content before the release date as they possibly can. It's not uncommon to get 3 singles or music videos before the album even drops. It makes it hard for fans that want to wait for the album to hear it all together in one sitting
    Most likely due to the average attention span of the public dropping a few million points in the past 15 or so years. Imagine a band like APC following the same path, dropping one single and then forcing people to wait. The amount of social media crying would drown us all. Same thing for movies and pretty much every other kind of media.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    when you listen to the whole it puts already released tracks in a different context
    if an album is strong it will happily absorb previously available material.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Most likely due to the average attention span of the public dropping a few million points in the past 15 or so years. Imagine a band like APC following the same path, dropping one single and then forcing people to wait. The amount of social media crying would drown us all. Same thing for movies and pretty much every other kind of media.
    Movies is a whole other beast. I used to look forward to the trailers playing before a movie, now I try and close my eyes or leave the theatre if there is a movie I want to see that comes on. I've gotten into the habit of staying away from trailers for movies I know I am going to see anyway. All they do is ruin the movie. I hate how they have trailers for trailers now. Or 4 or 5 diffrrent trailers before the release of the movie. You can basically cut and paste the trailers together to get the whole movie now.

Guess it makes sense, but it's sad way of marketing things these days. Guess I'm just old. If I were 10-15 years younger maybe it would make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    when you listen to the whole it puts already released tracks in a different context
    if an album is strong it will happily absorb previously available material.
    The problem with that, for me anyway, is I usually play the "pre-released" tracks to the point where once the album comes out, i'm so sick of hearing them, that I just end up skipping them. It takes a lot of willpower to only listen to a track from one of your favourites bands once or twice. The kinda willpower I don't have lol. I've listened to "TalkTalk" at least twice a day since it's been released. I know, that's not good... but when you like a song, you can't help it.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 02-07-2018 at 02:31 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    Im pretty indifferent on eMOTIVe....i do love Passive though...great song
    Yeah. But it was much better when it was "Vacant." Even though the quality of the recording left something to be desired, the urgency in the live version blew the recorded/reworked version out of the water. I liked the original lyrics better, too. That's not to say I don't like Passive, just that I feel it lost some of its bite.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    But it was much better when it was "Vacant."
    No. Just.. no. That's the most untrue statement about APC ever. I see people saying this all the time and I just don't get it. Vacant felt bland, empty and very clearly unfinished. What's that urgency you're speaking of?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    No. Just.. no. That's the most untrue statement about APC ever. I see people saying this all the time and I just don't get it. Vacant felt bland, empty and very clearly unfinished. What's that urgency you're speaking of?
    to the album version and you should hear what I'm talking about. It was way better with that abrupt and explosive ending than the eMotive version that trails off with the "passive aggressive bullshit" line. At least in my personal opinion – which is clearly wrong, right?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I’ll be honest, the singles have been trending upward for me. I’ve liked each more than the last. I love that “Talk Talk” uses the similar guitar effect that Trent has used in a lot of his most recent work i.e. “Mantra,” “Complication With Optimistic Outcome,” and “Less Than.”

Really don’t like the artwork. Seems like someone photoshopped that, which, knowing Maynard, he probably did and is just trolling everyone.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Absolutely terrible artwork.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaro View Post
    what you say?...

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaro View Post
    It gets better!

Courtesy of Reddit.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virushopper View Post
    It gets better!

Courtesy of Reddit.
    LOL! That's fantastic.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    what you say?...

Except that's actually awesome haha. Pretty sure I had that as a blacklight poster in my room as a teen. Oh, adolescence.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    What’s up with these arena shows? They’re selling poorly- and had sold poorly last go around- yet they’re attempting to charge $400 for the closest seats? (Specifically looking at Birmingham show)

Ugh.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    What’s up with these arena shows? They’re selling poorly- and had sold poorly last go around- yet they’re attempting to charge $400 for the closest seats? (Specifically looking at Birmingham show)

Ugh.
    And yet the band was baffled as to why their fall shows weren't selling that well. Sounds like they never learned from their mistake, lol.

They should scale it down to a small theatre. Seems like they're trying to bite off more than they can chew once again.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I’ve said it before but the band doesn’t always get to choose this stuff. It’s possible it’s cheaper for them to do arenas for some reason. Who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)

Ugh.
    Fuuuuuck THAT. I wouldn't pay $400 to see Jesus Christ and His All Star Band!
    I'm damn glad I saw APC 3 or 4 times on Mer de Noms. If I remember correctly, the tickets were $30 at the most.
    I find it absurd the way concert tickets have gotten so insanely expensive. And it's not just regular inflation, not when they cost five or ten times what they used to.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    And yet the band was baffled as to why their fall shows weren't selling that well. Sounds like they never learned from their mistake, lol.

They should scale it down to a small theatre. Seems like they're trying to bite off more than they can chew once again.
    There are not even selling the upper sections just as they did not last tour. I seem them back in 03 and have been thinking about going but just want to go to Northern Invasion now and see Tool STP and AIC also.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Fuuuuuck THAT. I wouldn't pay $400 to see Jesus Christ and His All Star Band!
    I'm damn glad I saw APC 3 or 4 times on Mer de Noms. If I remember correctly, the tickets were $30 at the most.
    I find it absurd the way concert tickets have gotten so insanely expensive. And it's not just regular inflation, not when they cost five or ten times what they used to.
    I could be completely wrong here, but I’m guessing bands charge more now for tickets since there isn’t a whole lot to make anymore from album sales. Just about every band also has bigger production these days, so cost of the actual show is pricier as well (equipment, set up, techs, logistics/fuel, etc.).

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I could be completely wrong here, but I’m guessing bands charge more now for tickets since there isn’t a whole lot to make anymore from album sales. Just about every band also has bigger production these days, so cost of the actual show is pricier as well (equipment, set up, techs, logistics/fuel, etc.).
    It's true; we're not cheap

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    serious, non-trolly question: has APC ever been a great or even good live band?

I saw them in 2003, and I can't remember if it was good or not. I think it was good enough, I don't remember it being bad or being blown away by it either.
    I saw them in 2011 and it was awful, very low on energy or enthusiasm, so bad that I don't think I would bother seeing them again.

I dunno, I'm just wondering whether there ever was a time in which they were recognized as having a great or even particularly good live presence, or whether this is essentially a studio project that goes on tour. Does their music translate well to the live setting? Do they pull off intense, passionate shows (a thing Tool are known for)... or not? Or are they quite detached and clinical live?

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    serious, non-trolly question: has APC ever been a great or even good live band?

I saw them in 2003, and I can't remember if it was good or not. I think it was good enough, I don't remember it being bad or being blown away by it either.
    I saw them in 2011 and it was awful, very low on energy or enthusiasm, so bad that I don't think I would bother seeing them again.

I dunno, I'm just wondering whether there ever was a time in which they were recognized as having a great or even particularly good live presence, or whether this is essentially a studio project that goes on tour. Does their music translate well to the live setting? Do they pull off intense, passionate shows (a thing Tool are known for)... or not? Or are they quite detached and clinical live?
    Honestly, I think "studio band that goes on tour" fits their description quite well. They're not terrible live, they're just kinda average in my books. I saw them in 2000, 2003, 2011 and 2017. None of the shows were really that memorable. I don't think I would list any if them in a top 50 shows I've seen list. They're the kind of band that produces some really awesome studio tracks/albums, but they're shows are just that - playing the music live.

This is my opinion anyway. The puscifer show I saw live was more exciting than all 4 APC shows I've seen live combined. I wouldn't pay to see them live again, and I definitely would NOT consider them "festival headliner" material. They've been popping up at the top of a lot of music festivals for 2018, and I just don't see them holding the fort down as a headliner, especially in 2018. They've been absent from the music scene for so long.

Don't get me wrong, I love APC. Great stuff. I just don't think it transitions live well.