Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Sigil 03_: An omen EP_

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R-Dot-Yung View Post
    God I'm so wet right now...I hope it blows my mind.
    I think we are all a little wet right now.
    Somebody needs to get this party started.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Dtf2htda .?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snaapz View Post
    This image instantly reminds me of YZ ARG; glitch!! Interesting.

Rob Sheridan is trying to steal all our sleep.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Admit it, if you could commit THIS kind of cock-teasery to this many people, you would. :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Lienert View Post
    Holy shit! I can't wait!
    Obviously hoping other formats will be released, otherwise I'll have to dust off the ole' turntable.

Wonder if "On the wing" is inspired from the Twilight Zone episode, with the gremlin on the plane wing.

There's something on the wing! Something...
    Wasn't that the film though, and wasn't it a monkey? :P

Anyway, I look forward to any new music, EP or otherwise!

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    What is in Trent's hand??
    Isn't he just holding his jacket?
    Last edited by PQHooligan; 09-21-2012 at 06:39 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    This news just... it makes me...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Dtf2htda .?
    Nothing, my search returned nothing.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nora Can Cans View Post
    Nothing, my search returned nothing.
    Down to fuck to how to destroy angels

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    Admit it, if you could commit THIS kind of cock-teasery to this many people, you would. :P
    My dream job is to act as Trent's personal internet troll.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    In all seriousness, I'm not worried about the decision to stick with a label this time around. Trent knows it's a strange move, and he. Wouldn't have followed through with it without working out all the details with a fine-toothed comb first. That said, I'm 100% sure we'll still have our share share of teases and "soons" with future releases. I'm excited for it. The inclusion of a label that Trent trusts doesn't leave a bad taste in my mouth all.

If anything, it's more of a warm gooey taste to everyone here, if you know what I mean.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    20some years of learning how NOT to deal with a label will generally allow you to make the right decision if you have to do it over

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I'm thinking three tracks from the EP will be on the LP and the LP will have a total of 15 tracks (12 new tracks).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PQHooligan View Post
    Wasn't that the film though, and wasn't it a monkey? :P

Anyway, I look forward to any new music, EP or otherwise!
    Are you thinking of the one with John Lithgow? I think he was in the remake of an older episode. Shit, I don't know. Much alcohol has been consumed, since I saw it.

I do remember watching "The four of us are dying" because of The Slip, and really enjoying it.

Anyway, back to the cock-teasery that is How To Destroy Angels.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    This image instantly reminds me of YZ ARG; glitch!! Interesting.

Reminds me of Bleedthrough

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horican View Post
    Signing to a major label is pretty big news, coming form Trent "techdirt case study" Reznor and Rob "stop buying music from major labels. period" Sheridan. I'm waiting for a more detailed explanation, but it seems a bit sad to me because it looks like the man who fought the hardest to create great business models and sustain himself respectfully without a major label has now given up.
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Imagine how stressful it is doing everything yourself and being constantly blamed for everything going wrong though?
    And think about how much life has changed since he went independent. It was just NIN back then that he (and Rob and his manager) had to worry about running. Now, he's composing for films. And actively working on the Year Zero series with HBO. And has an entire new band, HTDA. Plus NIN. And whatever else he's working on that we don't know about. On top of having a family now.

All of those career and life changes might be reason enough to back away from doing everything independently, though I'm sure in reality they wouldn't be the only factors.

Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    And think about how much life has changed since he went independent. It was just NIN back then that he (and Rob and his manager) had to worry about running. Now, he's composing for films. And actively working on the Year Zero series with HBO. And has an entire new band, HTDA. Plus NIN. And whatever else he's working on that we don't know about. On top of having a family now.

All of those career and life changes might be reason enough to back away from doing everything independently, though I'm sure in reality they wouldn't be the only factors.
    speaking from experience: having a kid is probably the biggest factor in offloading work to someone else and he has two kids! I'd rather spend time with my kid than trying to figure out why someone fucked up <insert the hundreds of things that always go wrong with DIY>

Trent will probably never do it, but I'd love to hear him talk about how his kids have changed him.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    In both band picures Atticus's face appears to be undistorted, other 3 are. Interesting.

I'm curious as to why the editor (Rob/Tamar?) allowed or left in this glitch on the left, see the black arrow I placed. First thing I would do as an editor is remove it if there's no purpose for it.

Also, unsure on what that image is found between AR & TR. Why is it blurry or out of focus? I tried dodging and enlarging but I can't make it out. Maybe as the days pass the image will become more clear.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Also, unsure on what that image is found between AR & TR. Why is it blurry or out of focus? I tried dodging and enlarging but I can't make it out. Maybe as the days pass the image will become more clear.
    I think it's TR's hand as it looks like his arm is raised.

The corner of his elbow would be in front of Atticus. (or even behind)

These glitch photos are very deceptive.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    In both band picures Atticus's face appears to be undistorted, other 3 are. Interesting.
    Because atticus rocks

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    these images kinda annoy me, as i've been using the "take a picture of the television or computer screen" method with all my artwork for years. now everyones gonna say i am trying to copy sheridan...

but its awesome looking so whatever. hope this record is great!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I think a lot of us forget that this is a new band without a lot of name recognition. Yes, one of the members is Trent Reznor, and some of the people who buy NIN albums are devoted enough to buy his new projects automatically. But it has to be an uphill struggle to make the general record-buying public aware of HTDA. Having a major label behind the band will perhaps give them a boost.

I'm most interested in what they'll do with that major-label financial support... all that money that other bands usually spend in the studio -- what will they use the money for (besides videos)?
    Remember Trent's big speech about how independent bands should NOT go to major labels? How you should only go to a major label if you want to be mass-appealing bullshit like Coldplay?

ALSO, time to change the title of this section of the forum to "Full-length LP in 2013". Can't say we didn't all see it coming, eh. "New music later this year" was pretty much a given for "sorry, still no album".

I sound like I'm bitching, but hey, new music, cool. Just... be careful when making promises to the NIN audience, because they tend to remember stuff too well.
    Last edited by FernandoDante; 09-21-2012 at 08:02 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

That's a very logical and understandable reason. i just think that for the people who see Trent as a sort of role model for how media and art should be handled in our times, this could seem a bit disheartening.
    personally, I'm just happy that we'll get new stuff, and I'm sure that Reznor and co. are still very involved with how this rolls out as they always were. I expect the next months to be very engaging and exciting.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horican View Post
    That's a very logical and understandable reason. i just think that for the people who see Trent as a sort of role model for how media and art should be handled in our times, this could seem a bit disheartening.
    It's a similar scenario to the one that Radiohead faced when they admitted that the In Rainbows thing was a (fantastic) way to get attention, and they still depended on labels to release CD versions and whatnot.

Or the scenario Jack White faced when he started Third Man Records, and it seemed like a beam of glorious golden light for independent acts, then went ahead and signed with Columbia for his solo record.

Or when Josh Homme said "Interscope sucks my dick - I know it because I'm looking down right now and I can see them", mentioning he couldn't wait to be free of the record label machine. Then he signed another deal with Interscope to release Them Crooked Vultures' debut LP.

I'm putting my bet on Amanda Palmer for "next artist to go back to a major label".

EDIT: I mean, it's their fucking choice, I care about the music. But don't preach about major labels being the devil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes. You can't say something like that, make a huge deal about it, allow yourself to be seen as the king of the dyi artist then do the opposite and not have people disappointing in you. I am sure he will explain the decision but I will not assume it will be a satisfying or unsatisfying answer.

Edit: I was replying to FernandoDante. I don't know why the quote did not show.
    Last edited by Bluegirl; 09-21-2012 at 08:14 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Wasn't it great when we all sat in the board room with HTDA and Columbia, and found out the minutae of the deal, and what it means for all parties? I especially liked the bit where we decided it was in some way going to affect us as consumers.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Whinge.

(10 characters)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wasn't it great when we all sat in the board room with HTDA and Columbia, and found out the minutae of the deal, and what it means for all parties? I especially liked the bit where we decided it was in some way going to affect us as consumers.
    Maybe if Trent was not so great and exceeding my expectations I would not set the bar so high. I think that is one of them good problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

^ The coffee was shit.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I don't want to get into drama talk but my guess is that regarding Columbia Records, aside from TR having a friendship with Mark and a fair contract for the band, it just frees up A LOT of time & stress for TR/MQ/AR/RS etc... A lot. Plus I'm sure Rick Rubin will be all "give them what ever the hell they need".

sometimes it's wise to take a TOLL highway - snaapz

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    ALSO, I was thinking, I enjoy that they're doing another EP before the LP release, I'm all for MOAR physical releases.