PDA

View Full Version : Dark Shadows

Lutz
05-18-2012, 10:17 PM
I thought this was a reasonable two hour movie that could have been an amazing five hour movie :P.

I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed the moments where the characters are just sitting around talking. I think the real problem with this is the overwritten plot. It is never given the appropriate amount of time to air or add gravitas by using the abundance of characters and fantastic actors which are it's true strength but instead relies too much on weak set pieces to tell the story in shorthand.

And I think that might also be what Tim Burton's main problem is - Tim Burton can't direct set pieces.

Sutekh
05-18-2012, 10:39 PM
I don't want to pry too far for fear of spoilers... does it have anything to do with the old TV series?

october_midnight
05-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Whereas I'm not sure about any real specifics (as I don't plan on seeing this), yeah it's based on the old soap opera.

Lutz
05-19-2012, 12:59 AM
The humour in this isn't too distracting either. As a comparison all the dreadful scene stopping humour in The Lord of the Rings films was much worse.

(It's also better directed, acted and more enjoyable than something like The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo remake.)

NIN64
05-19-2012, 06:57 AM
It's also better directed, acted and more enjoyable than something like The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo remake.

Please elaborate. . .