PDA

View Full Version : Blade Runner 2049

Pages : [1] 2

owinn
05-18-2012, 04:18 PM
Here's what we know

Collider Article (http://collider.com/blade-runner-2-sequel-hampton-fancher/167046/)

LOS ANGELES, CA, MAY 17, 2012
—Hampton Fancher is in talks to reunite with his “Blade
Runner (http://collider.com/blade-runner-2-sequel-hampton-fancher/167046/#)
” director Ridley Scott to develop the idea for the original screenplay for the Alcon Entertainment, Scott Free, and Bud Yorkin produced follow up to the ground-breaking 1982 science fiction classic, it was announced by Alcon co-founders and co-Chief Executive Officers Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove.The filmmakers are also revealing for the first time that the much-anticipated project is intended to be a sequel to the renowned original. The filmmakers would reveal only that the new story will take place some years after the first film concluded.The three-time Oscar-nominated Scott and his “Blade Runner” collaborator Fancher originally conceived of their 1982 classic as the first in a series of films incorporating the themes and characters featured in Philip K. Dick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_K._Dick)‘s groundbreaking novel “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_Androids_Dream_of_Electric_Sheep%3F)“, from which “Blade Runner” was adapted. Circumstances, however, took Scott into other directions and the project never advanced.Fancher, although a writer of fiction, was known primarily as an actor at the time Scott enlisted him to adapt the Dick novel for the screen. Fancher followed his “Blade Runner” success with the screenplays, “The Mighty Quinn” (1989) and “The MinusMan (http://collider.com/blade-runner-2-sequel-hampton-fancher/167046/#)” (1999). He has continued to write fiction throughout his career.Scott also will produce with Alcon co-founders and co-Chief Executive Officers Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove as well as Bud Yorkin and Cynthia Sikes Yorkin. Frank Giustra and Tim Gamble, CEO’s of Thunderbird Films, will serve as executive producers.The original film, which has been singled out as the greatest science-fiction film of all time by a majority of genre publications, was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Film_Registry) by the Library of Congress (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_of_Congress) as being “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant.” The film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Film_Registry) in 1993 and is frequently taught in university courses. In 2007, it was named the 2nd most visually influential film of all time by the Visual Effects Society (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_Effects_Society).

http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/blade-runner-poster-399x600.jpg (http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/blade-runner-poster.jpg)

State Kosove and Johnson: “It is a perfect opportunity to reunite Ridley with Hampton on this new project, one in fact inspired by their own personal collaboration, a classic of cinema if there ever was one.”Released by Warner Bros. almost 30 years ago, “Blade Runner” was adapted by Fancher and David Peoples from
Philip K. Dick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_K._Dick)
‘s groundbreaking novel “
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_Androids_Dream_of_Electric_Sheep%3F)
” and directed by Scott following his landmark “Alien.” The film was nominated for two Academy Awards (Best Visual Effects, and Best Art Direction). Following the filming of “Blade Runner,” the first of Philip K. Dick’s works to be adapted into a film, many other of Dick’s works were likewise adapted, including “Total Recall,” “A Scanner Darkly,” “Minority Report,” “Paycheck,” and the recent “The Adjustment Bureau,” among others.

My view, don't see the point in it. Yeah I totally GET a prequel to Alien but a sequel to Blade Runner? I like those secrets unanswered.

Sutekh
05-18-2012, 04:24 PM
sounds interesting... but unnecessary, yep.

We have not-really sequels to blade runner in the forms of Paul rubbish resident evil movies Anderson's "Soldier" (he said it was set in that universe...for some reason), Total Recall 2070 (which for some reason is unofficially set in the blade runner world), and Jeter's sequel books.

Who would do the soundtrack though? They have to follow that great Vangelis score

october_midnight
05-18-2012, 05:11 PM
Pretty tough act to follow, and the choice of making the lead female is pretty interesting as well. Wonder how it's all going to tie together. Oh, and yes, good luck topping the Vangelis music...it's unbelievable.

Sutekh
05-18-2012, 05:33 PM
"Prodigal Son Brings Death" is such a tune... turn it up REALLY loud, it's overpowering like brahm's german requiem (the den alles flesiche bit)

and obviously "bladerunner blues" "memories of a green" and the opening theme.

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
05-18-2012, 05:40 PM
Because if there's anything we need it's more knock-offs.

owinn
05-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Because if there's anything we need it's more knock-offs.
The problem I have with it, is that Blade Runner is one of those perfect self-contained movies that never needed a sequel. I wouldn't call it a knock off due to the calibre of those involved but I'm worried.

Alexandros
05-18-2012, 07:20 PM
It's all pretty vague still, so I can be optimistic. I agree that Blade Runner doesn't need a sequel, but I'm all for pleasant surprises.

Fixer808
05-18-2012, 07:58 PM
Oh, and yes, good luck topping the Vangelis music...it's unbelievable.
"Breaking news, Blade Runner 2's soundtrack to be provided by Arcade Fire, Ridley Scott under heavy guard from angry hordes."

Frozen Beach
05-18-2012, 08:49 PM
"Breaking news, Blade Runner 2's soundtrack to be provided by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. NIN fans everywhere start to suck Ridley Scott's huge cock."

Lutz
05-18-2012, 08:51 PM
More Noomi Rapace please.

Sutekh
05-18-2012, 08:55 PM
"breaking news, blade runner 2's soundtrack to be provided by trent reznor and atticus ross. Nin fans everywhere start to suck ridley scott's huge cock."

hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

botley
09-06-2012, 09:20 AM
I've been reading Sammon's Future Noir again and getting really excited for this.

Reaps
09-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Trent would be all over this, given his love of the original film and it's soundtrack. Scott to write/produce, Fincher to Direct. no Ford... Win city.

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
09-06-2012, 06:55 PM
After the pile that was Prometheus I'd actually quite prefer Scott not go ahead on this.

Not that I supported it in the first place. But hey, at least Damon Lindelof has nothing to do with it.

Highly Psychological
09-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Why have they waited 30 years to do this?

It will just look bad compared to the original Blade Runner, how on earth do you follow up a film that is such a classic?
Im struggling to see the point in this...

Not really enthusiastic about Ridley directing it for some reason. He is one of my favourite directors of all time, but i dont feel he will be able to bring as much to the project as he was able to one in 1982.

Vertigo
09-07-2012, 12:29 AM
Scott's still a strong director in my opinion, one of the major problems with Prometheus is that he put on the writer's hat (for the first time as far as I know, at the age of 75... Mario Puzo was off form at that age, Ridley) - apparently Lindelof and to a lesser degree Spaihts were essentially typewriting his ideas for the most part. If he can stay put in the director's chair, and has a competent writer, it could turn out well.

Still, there are some other factors about Prometheus that are alarming about his choices as director. You're following a film with several particularly standout qualities: genuinely outlandish and disturbing design from Giger, a man who to this day is often copied but never equalled (as well as Cobb & co's unsettling space-submarine Nostromo designs); an all-time-great score by Jerry Goldsmith which by turns roots the setting of the film, makes your skin crawl just as much as Giger's alien interiors, and adds an element of terror to the creature; and incredible sound design (think about the scene where Brett's searching for the cat - the clanking of chains, the dripping of water, the heartbeat of the ship - you're afraid before you even see what trouble he's in).

In every single one of these fields, Prometheus dropped the ball at a fundamental level. There was actually some decent design work done for Prometheus but almost none of it made it intact into the film - and Giger is still active, how hard would it be to bring him in as a primary designer rather than just scribbling up a couple of half-glimpsed wall murals? He won't be around for ever, and when he's not, the world will be a poorer place for it.
The Prometheus ship was so generically high-tech that it made you wonder why they bothered setting the film in the Alien universe at all.
Hiring Marc Streitenfeld for composing work was a bad sign right from the off - you're following up a pioneering all-time-great with work from a generic composer, who's yet to come up with anything memorable? It was inevitable right at this stage that the film wouldn't have the atmosphere or character of Alien.
The tense sound design wasn't there either, but I'm not sure if that's the fault of the artists or Ridley not allowing it room to take prominence.

Adding to that, it didn't seem to be well edited - I'm sure there's a better movie lurking out there in the material, and this is a problem that's plagued most of Ridley's theatrical cuts throughout his career (even Alien was neutered for the censors, believe it or not). Ridley has a strong enough visual talent and unique outlook that he remains a formidable director in my opinion, but Prometheus shows a lot of cracks at a very basic level. I think he probably needs a smart and insightful producer to pick up the slack.

onthewall2983
02-26-2015, 08:13 PM
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/prisoners-enemy-director-denis-villeneuve-to-helm-blade-runner-sequel-harrison-ford-confirmed-to-return-20150226

Deadpool
02-27-2015, 12:40 PM
Enemy and especially Prisoners are two of my favorite movies of the past few years. Granted, I have a lot of favorites, but I love what Villeneuve does. Psyched!

Millionaire
02-28-2015, 06:40 AM
I really don't want this to suck. Blade Runner was one of those movies I've watched on repeat as a kid, the ones that stick to your subconscious and feel a little like a dream as well as a movie. No movie has quite looked like it since, even though quite a few have tried. I like the director, and Ford is in, so I'm getting good vibes from this in the early stages.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-02-2015, 09:14 PM
No, no, nooo. Can Hollywood just leave one classic alone? Just one? Fuck this.

botley
03-03-2015, 09:02 PM
How about give it a shot, or just ignore it?

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-03-2015, 10:00 PM
I'm not saying I will not watch it, but the idea still reeks.

GulDukat
03-04-2015, 06:13 AM
No, no, nooo. Can Hollywood just leave one classic alone? Just one? Fuck this.
Agreed. Forget about the tacked-on crappy ending on the 1982 release. The ending of the director's cut, when Rachel and Deckard head out to the unknown is perfect. Just leave it there. We don't know what happens to these characters, it's left to the viewer to ponder. A sequel will spoil that.

ambergris
03-04-2015, 06:37 AM
I wonder if they are going to pay attention to the already existing sequels:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Runner_2:_The_Edge_of_Human
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Runner_3:_Replicant_Night
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Runner_4:_Eye_and_Talon

botley
03-04-2015, 10:22 AM
Agreed. Forget about the tacked-on crappy ending on the 1982 release. The ending of the director's cut, when Rachel and Deckard head out to the unknown is perfect. Just leave it there. We don't know what happens to these characters, it's left to the viewer to ponder. A sequel will spoil that.
So... don't watch it?

ziltoid
03-04-2015, 10:51 AM
In all honesty I am pretty excited for a new movie in the blade runner universe. I just hope it would be completely separate from the first movie and only mention the events only if ever slightly. I mention this because I believe it would be impossible to replicate the atmosphere of the first and could potentially ruin the movie.
I'm willing to keep an open mind and not prejudge Blade Runner 2 like so many people on the internet have.

botley
03-04-2015, 12:45 PM
I don't believe that a production company like the Blade Runner Partnership, which produced possibly the greatest home video treatment of any film ever (with the box set that encompasses all the multifaceted editions in one package) need bear blame for "ruining" a movie that they painstakingly restored with an eye-popping, pristine digital print, packaged with the most utterly respectful inclusion of supplementary materials I've ever seen. If you have that, then you don't need anything else... and if it's "ruined" for you by something else existing alongside it, that's your own fault.

ziltoid
03-04-2015, 01:12 PM
I agree, what I meant was the possibility of tarnishing the legacy of Blade Runner kind of like the latest Total Recall movie did or Aliens 3, 4, Predator versus Aliens 1&2 etc (Some of which are actually good depending on your preferences and versions that are viewed). I will remain open minded until I can actually see the movie before judging.

GulDukat
03-04-2015, 05:42 PM
So... don't watch it?

It will still exist and spoil the integrity of the original film, kind of like those god-awful Star Wars prequels. Doesn't Darth Vader now seem less bad-ass than he once did, knowing that he was once a love-struck whiny little turd?

Khrz
03-04-2015, 06:08 PM
Actually no, honestly. Not claiming any sort of superiority and I really regret that you can't separate the sequels/prequels from a movie, but Vader is pretty much still vader, and the xenomorph is still that lone, mysterious creature roaming the Nostromo. A Blade Runner sequel is, I think, a bad idea at this point, but I'm still intrigued, and it won't ruin the original for me.
And remakes ruin the originals even less. Total Recall, Robocop are merely blimps on the radar...

GulDukat
03-04-2015, 06:16 PM
Actually no, honestly. Not claiming any sort of superiority and I really regret that you can't separate the sequels/prequels from a movie, but Vader is pretty much still vader, and the xenomorph is still that lone, mysterious creature roaming the Nostromo. A Blade Runner sequel is, I think, a bad idea at this point, but I'm still intrigued, and it won't ruin the original for me.
And remakes ruin the originals even less. Total Recall, Robocop are merely blimps on the radar...
To each his/her own. For me, episodes 1-3 did tarnish the original trilogy. And yes, I can "separate the sequels/prequels from a movie," but I see each film in a series in the context of that series.

Khrz
03-04-2015, 06:20 PM
... While I treat the originals as pivotal, and the rest as peripheral... I'm not saying you're wrong.

botley
03-04-2015, 07:24 PM
It will still exist and spoil the integrity of the original film, kind of like those god-awful Star Wars prequels. Doesn't Darth Vader now seem less bad-ass than he once did, knowing that he was once a love-struck whiny little turd?
Given the unsettling parallels between that character's arc and some real-life whackos that I've encountered (both in news headlines and online), the backstory actually makes that story even more unsettling. Like, say if one of those neckbearded MRA dudes got into a position of power because he showed talent or prowess in something unrelated... he could turn into the next Hitler/Vader, if propped up and enabled by toadying political Machiavellites.

Anyway...

I really don't see the need to trot out this argument again, especially since it looks like this is going to be a straight sequel to the original story and prequels are a whole different kettle of fish. Watch the sequel if you're interested, or don't. It's pretty simple. The "integrity" of the original doesn't live or die by whether or not derivative works exist. The somewhat clunky '90s Blade Runner PC game is cool, but does the fact that a blatant cash-in Commodore 64/ZX Spectrum game from the '80s still float around out there with the name Blade Runner on it make the movie any less good? No, of course not. See also: the book sequels mentioned above... do those impact the integrity of the film? Or can you safely ignore them?

GulDukat
03-04-2015, 07:37 PM
I'll go see the new movie, I just think that one movie was enough and it ended on a perfect note. No need for a second act.

Khrz
03-04-2015, 07:57 PM
Yeah, I agree that's perfectly unnecessary.
Honestly I'd like to see filmmakers start to treat sequels as their own, parallel thing. Prometheus suffered so much in my eyes because it was trying sooo hard to connect to Alien. Had they said "look, we like the universe we made so we're making another one related to that, but the story is fundamentally disconnected and we won't even try to make it canon", I'd have been way happier with it. So, okay, go film another one taking place in a samey Blade Runner-y universe, but quit trying to reconnect the dots every time if you didn't intend to when you made the first one. It's as painful as watching you try to touch your feet by bending backwards.

Vertigo
03-05-2015, 10:21 AM
I think the Alien connection in Prometheus was the least of that film's problems.

october_midnight
08-18-2016, 02:57 PM
Jared Leto joins the cast. (http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/08/jared-leto-joins-cast-of-blade-runner-2/)

botley
08-18-2016, 03:34 PM

I'm out (throws money down on table, exits room in a puff of tobacco smoke).

Khrz
08-18-2016, 03:36 PM
I think the Alien connection in Prometheus was the least of that film's problems.

Let's put it that way : Making a flawless movie is already a near-impossible task. But when you make a good movie, mistakes can be overlooked. But putting another layer on top of that that's supposed to perfectly align with a previous movie, that's getting ridiculous. You've just squared the amount of problematic points.
Now, you're making a sci-fi action horror movie about the genesis of man and the sacrifice of christ and ancient aliens, which you directly connect to that one movie everyone considers pretty much flawless ? That's just fucking hubris.

The Alien connection may not have been the biggest problem, but it was the root of a whole supplementary level of issues, which you could directly compare to the very movie it was referencing.

implanted_microchip
08-18-2016, 03:55 PM

I'm out (throws money down on table, exits room in a puff of tobacco smoke).

Do we all think he's a bad actor now after Dallas Buyer's Club, Fight Club, American Psycho and Requiem for a Dream or something because of one movie he was in?

botley
08-18-2016, 04:04 PM
I don't think he is a bad actor, just a bad person

implanted_microchip
08-18-2016, 05:50 PM
I don't think he is a bad actor, just a bad person
Well I mean, Chinatown, The Pianist and Rosemary's Baby are some of the finest films in their genre and Roman Polanski is about as bad as it gets. Art =/= the artist.

botley
08-18-2016, 07:25 PM
Right, but for me it's a little easier to separate them and focus on the content of those movies when Polanski's face is not splashed across every frame (yes, I realize he has a cameo in Chinatown).

marodi
08-18-2016, 08:45 PM
Right, but for me it's a little easier to separate them and focus on the content of those movies when Polanski's face is not splashed across every frame (yes, I realize he has a cameo in Chinatown).

I have the same problem with Tom Cruise. I cannot stand him as a person and all I see in his movies is Tom Cruise.

As far as Jared Leto is concerned, I like him as an actor. The man has talent. He's the only reason I can make it through Oliver Stone's Alexander. But he is a douche. A talented douche who doesn't age and who has amazing eyes.

@botley (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=469) I guess you can take small comfort in the fact that Leto, being the ultimate Method actor that he is, is destined to piss off Harrison Ford. I want to be on that set so bad...

thevoid99
08-18-2016, 09:02 PM
I don't like Jared Leto as a person and as a musician but I do think he is an excellent actor. Tom Cruise has some good movies but he tends to play the same characters and never does enough to do much in his acting while stuff in his personal life are just nuts considering whom he's associated with in the world of Scientology.

onthewall2983
08-18-2016, 09:17 PM
Of all the movies he's done that I liked, and thought he was okay in, it was always in supporting parts. That this was announced after the news that the guy from Captain Phillips makes it fine with me.

implanted_microchip
08-18-2016, 09:18 PM
I think Leto would be an amazing Replicant. Just great. His features have that almost unreal smoothness, he has an alien sort of air about him, he can do detachment and withdrawal very well -- I think he'll be a great fit and I hope he bothers Harrison Ford the entire time by demanding he ask him about finding turtles in the desert, leaving origami unicorns in his dressing room and mailing used hard drives to him.

botley
08-18-2016, 09:39 PM
And tweeting civil rights activists' quotes to describe how hard he's working.

Millionaire
08-19-2016, 06:34 AM
I don't have a problem separating the person from the art. Hell, I'm interested in Hacksaw Ridge, and Mel Gibson is a fucking asshole. But he's damn good at directing. Leto's sins are just saying odd shit in interviews. If I avoided every movie because someone involved said something I didn't like, then I would see like 3 movies a year.

At work, I interact with people who have political, religious, or whatever views that I don't agree with. Some are even assholes sometimes. But I work with them and joke with them, choosing to see the good, unless they really cross a line, which hasn't happened yet. Everyone's got some shit we wouldn't like. Doesn't stop me from being nice, or from checking out a movie.

Deadpool
08-19-2016, 01:51 PM
I think Leto would be an amazing Replicant. Just great. His features have that almost unreal smoothness, he has an alien sort of air about him, he can do detachment and withdrawal very well -- I think he'll be a great fit

Good call.

I went through a "Leto is a total douche" phase (which I guess you never really leave) when I was a hardcore 30 Seconds To Mars fan, starting with finding their 2nd album by chance on release day, and ending with a string of disappointing/insulting live shows years later. I think I've expended more energy hating on the guy than I ever would have liked to, so now if he's attached to a cool & interesting movie or puts out a song I like, it's a win. It took me until my 2nd viewing of Dallas Buyers to have enough distance to really appreciate his performance and agree with the Academy's choice that year.

A little unrelated, but Denis Villeneuve's next movie before Blade Runner is also science-fiction, titled Arrival (http://oneperfectshotdb.com/news/watch-first-contact-2-new-trailers-and-a-collection-of-posters-for-arrival/), and it looks pretty damn promising. Can't wait. I love how prolific Villeneuve is – hopefully he can maintain this pace of filmmaking for a while. At this point, I'll see anything he does, but if it's sci-fi, then it's that much more exciting.

Jinsai
08-19-2016, 03:13 PM
I really dislike 30 Seconds to Mars, but Leto is a good actor. He would be great as a replicant. He already has a sort of natural sociopathic-looking emptiness in his eyes.

onthewall2983
08-24-2016, 10:58 AM
Jóhann Jóhannsson to provide the score. (http://theplaylist.net/johann-johannsson-reteams-denis-villeneuve-will-score-blade-runner-2-20160824/)

onthewall2983
10-06-2016, 11:14 AM
https://i0.wp.com/media2.slashfilm.com/slashfilm/wp/wp-content/images/ZZ2A14F6C6.jpg

2049 is just one year away.

Ridley Scott. Denis Villeneuve. Harrison Ford. Ryan Gosling. #BladeRunner 2049 - in theaters October 6, 2017.

october_midnight
12-19-2016, 09:47 AM
Boom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDscTTE-P-k

implanted_microchip
12-19-2016, 09:59 AM
Fuck it, I'm sold. The tone, the aesthetic, the soundtrack ... all seeming perfect to me. Blade Runner is a movie that is so much of what it is because of style and mood and this seems to have found it and continued it perfectly, if that trailer's anything to go by. Don't plan on watching any more ads than that. I'm in.

dlb
12-19-2016, 09:59 AM
this movie could flop big time but what intrigues me the most is that Johannson could bust out one of the most epic soundtracks of the century! fingers crossed, the teaser looks good but ultimately gives away nothing.

Dream
12-19-2016, 10:01 AM
I absolutely lost my shit over that trailer, knew Villeneuve and Johannson had it in them but it's great to see some evidence.

thelastdisciple
12-19-2016, 10:04 AM
I didn't see that much to get excited about and Deckard just looks like old Harrison Ford at home. *shrug*

Deepvoid
12-19-2016, 01:20 PM
Everything about that teaser was pretty awesome.

Dra508
12-19-2016, 02:31 PM
Please god, don't let this suck. Please..

Second.

Ryan Gosling cracks one smile and it'll be over for me.

sentient
12-19-2016, 02:46 PM
Yeah this trailer pretty much made my year.

Deepvoid
12-19-2016, 07:22 PM
He'll hold it down, I think. Just check that poker face all throughout Drive

If it wasn't for Drive, I would have had my doubts about Gosling but he really was amazing in Drive.

He will do great under the direction of Villeneuve.

Dream
12-19-2016, 08:12 PM
Gosling has a resume full of great performances, it surprised me to see backlash (albeit small) against his casting.

He's an excellent actor, not just a pretty face like some seem to think and he's perfect for a Blade Runner protagonist.

thevoid99
12-19-2016, 08:31 PM
This looks really fucking cool. I'm so going to fucking see this. I just hope it's good.

october_midnight
12-21-2016, 10:08 AM
http://dailydead.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Blade-Runner-2049-01.jpg

http://dailydead.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Blade-Runner-2049-02.jpg

http://dailydead.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Blade-Runner-2049-03.jpg

http://dailydead.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Blade-Runner-2049-04.jpg

http://dailydead.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Blade-Runner-2049-05.jpg

http://dailydead.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Blade-Runner-2049-06.jpg

http://dailydead.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Blade-Runner-2049-07.jpg

Frozen Beach
12-21-2016, 10:14 AM
I watched all of the different cuts besides the work print a few years ago. Blade Runner is a beautiful movie with a haunting score and atmosphere. However, I think the story in the film lacks depth. It leaves me wanting more in a bad way. Really need to get around to reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?.

jmtd
12-22-2016, 04:10 AM
Jóhannsson's rendition of Vangelis' BR theme made me crack a smile. I wasn't sure how he was going to take this brief, and I wasn't sure how I was going to respond to it, and if someone had said he'd be re-using themes and suchlike I might have been skeptical but hearing it like that worked for me.

onthewall2983
12-22-2016, 07:15 AM
Is it for sure that Jóhannsson is responsible for that version, and it's not something that was recorded just for the sake of the trailer? Post-production is just beginning now, and the score is probably not due to be recorded yet.

october_midnight
12-22-2016, 09:11 AM
The more I look at this picture, the more I picture it...

PHOTOGRAPHER: Ok Harrison, looking great, but could you at least put the character's coat on?
HARRISON FORD: Fuck you.

http://dailydead.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Blade-Runner-2049-01.jpg

Dra508
12-22-2016, 09:14 AM
The coat is the power. That's why he's not wearing it. Symbolism. That's my theory.

jmtd
12-22-2016, 09:15 AM
Is it for sure that Jóhannsson is responsible for that version, and it's not something that was recorded just for the sake of the trailer? Post-production is just beginning now, and the score is probably not due to be recorded yet.

...good point. I dunno. I just assumed it was, but you're quite right. We'll just have to wait and see :)

Exocet
12-22-2016, 09:04 PM
I liked the trailer....of course its not going to have the same impact as the 1982 original. If it flops so what...so did the first one!! Badly came out same day as Poltergiest, E.T and the Thing....What a weekend.
But they could still do a good job, that trailer got the tone right.

To me, Ryan Gosling is not a stand out actor... but i get why he was cast... he has an incredibly magnetic look about him, he stands out on screen,, and is extremely photogenic, sort of like Daryl Hannah was...Blade Runner is remembered as a masterpiece for its visuals and score, ..its about how everything looks and was about overwhelming your senses , creating a vibe.. (Ridley Scott says he mostly casts people based on looks first, talent after!)
its all about how everything works visually in an extremely intricate way.

mfte
12-23-2016, 08:03 AM
I hope old balls harrison ford is not a major part of this movie. i feel annoyed looking at his wrinkly old face.

Frozen Beach
12-23-2016, 08:16 AM
I hope old balls harrison ford is not a major part of this movie. i feel annoyed looking at his wrinkly old face.
Nice ageism.

mfte
12-23-2016, 09:46 AM
Nice ageism.

I thought so. I take more issue with how i feel about his acting (hint: i dont like it). Didn't Ridley Scott say in an interview that he was a replicant in the original?

eversonpoe
12-24-2016, 10:22 AM
I thought so. I take more issue with how i feel about his acting (hint: i dont like it). Didn't Ridley Scott say in an interview that he was a replicant in the original?

then call out his acting, not his appearance. that's as bad as criticizing an actress for gaining weight when what you really want to do is call her out for being a bad actress.

sorry, i don't care if i'm being the PC police, your attitude is shitty.

mfte
12-25-2016, 10:45 AM
then call out his acting, not his appearance. that's as bad as criticizing an actress for gaining weight when what you really want to do is call her out for being a bad actress.

sorry, i don't care if i'm being the PC police, your attitude is shitty.

You're right. I have a generally shitty attitude. Please forgive me for having triggered you.

Khrz
12-25-2016, 10:58 AM
You're right. I have a generally shitty attitude. Please forgive me for having triggered you.

Don't worry about it, you're not triggering anyone, that attitude is merely cringy. Apologies if pointing out that unpleasant behavior made you uncomfortable.

october_midnight
05-04-2017, 09:18 AM
https://ewedit.files.wordpress.com/2017/05/bladerunnerart1.jpg?w=1800

https://ewedit.files.wordpress.com/2017/05/bladerunnerart2.jpg?w=1382

onthewall2983
05-08-2017, 11:48 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCcx85zbxz4&feature=youtu.be&t=6s

allegate
05-08-2017, 12:27 PM
https://ewedit.files.wordpress.com/2017/05/bladerunnerart2.jpg?w=1382
That is such a useless jacket when it's raining. I mean, "here's a funnel for the water right onto your neck!"

ziltoid
05-08-2017, 07:12 PM
I was excited to see the new trailer and I am hyped to see the film but I'm not so sure about the changes they are making to the movie.
Take a look at this:
https://i.redd.it/0igcx5le01wy.png
I like the grittiness in the teaser shot compared to the new trailer shot.
I assume it was a change made by a focus group or something.
I bet they are still working on the CGI. I just hope they don't make it too digitized and clean looking.
It needs to have more texture and grainy look imo.

Also it looks like they reworked the cut alternate intro for the original BR movie into BR 2049
https://www.reddit.com/r/bladerunner/comments/6a0m19/cut_alternative_opening_scene_in_original_br/

Wallpapers! (https://imgur.com/gallery/MCMD6)

Alexandros
05-08-2017, 09:49 PM
I like the strong connection the trailer music has to Vangelis' score, I hope this is the direction they take with the actual movie soundtrack. The music was integral to the full impact the original had on me.

onthewall2983
06-21-2017, 04:18 PM
New footage in this 4 minute promo piece. (http://ew.com/movies/2017/06/21/blade-runner-2049-footage-exclusive/) October can't come soon enough.

october_midnight
07-17-2017, 09:10 AM
So yeah, this looks amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZOaI_Fn5o4

thevoid99
07-17-2017, 02:56 PM
Fuck yeah!!!!!

nodylnai
07-17-2017, 03:48 PM
wow!! can't wait for that

Mr. Blaileen
07-17-2017, 08:18 PM
I GOT A FEVER!

And the only prescription is October 6th!

onthewall2983
07-29-2017, 08:16 PM
Hans Zimmer is now scoring the film. Jóhann Jóhannsson is still aboard, the main title will be his composition. (http://filmmusicreporter.com/2017/07/29/blade-runner-2049-to-feature-music-by-hans-zimmer/)

botley
07-29-2017, 11:22 PM
Not surprised TBH, surely Zimmer will actually do an interesting variation on the Vangelis vibe rather than just aping him ruthlessly.

botley
07-29-2017, 11:59 PM
Like, say if one of those neckbearded MRA dudes got into a position of power because he showed talent or prowess in something unrelated... he could turn into the next Hitler/Vader, if propped up and enabled by toadying political Machiavellites.
Did I predict Steve Bannon would get into the White House in this thread two years ago?

Dream
08-30-2017, 02:33 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn-csFKhQCg (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn-csFKhQCg)

dlb
08-30-2017, 07:09 AM
Hans Zimmer is now scoring the film. Jóhann Jóhannsson is still aboard, the main title will be his composition. (http://filmmusicreporter.com/2017/07/29/blade-runner-2049-to-feature-music-by-hans-zimmer/)

well you never know, but I don't think Zimmer is the right one for this. Either way, hope the Vangelis vibe is still here albeit updated.

onthewall2983
08-30-2017, 01:09 PM
Early critical word is out and the runtime is 169 minutes.

thevoid99
08-30-2017, 02:33 PM

That is awesome. 169 minutes of gorgeous photography by Roger Deakins.

Haysey_Draws
08-31-2017, 02:32 AM

I'm going to need a bigger bag of popcorn!

bobbie solo
08-31-2017, 10:10 PM
that short film was really, really good. Def. has me hyped for the movie.

onthewall2983
09-05-2017, 09:41 PM
The word now is is that Jóhann Jóhannsson's work has been done away with completely, and Hans Zimmer is taking over scoring duties.

Findus
09-06-2017, 02:24 AM
I'm going to need a bigger bag of popcorn!
I'm going to need a smaller drink.

onthewall2983
09-14-2017, 12:09 PM
New prequel short, featuring the animal himself, Dave Bautista (http://theplaylist.net/blade-runner-2049-david-bautista-prequel-20170914/)

Mr. Blaileen
09-14-2017, 04:35 PM
Just watched both prequel shorts that are out there. They're fucking awesome. I can't wait for this damn film.

Haysey_Draws
09-15-2017, 06:14 AM
For Blade Runner lore fans and anime fans alike

Blade Runner is Getting a Short Anime From Cowboy Bebop's Director set a few years after the first film!

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/09/15/blade-runner-is-getting-a-short-anime-from-cowboy-bebops-director

This looks awesome!

jmtd
09-23-2017, 12:11 PM

Colour me sad face. And that explains the inception horns all over the recent trailers :(

Not surprised TBH, surely Zimmer will actually do an interesting variation on the Vangelis vibe rather than just aping him ruthlessly.

If you're going soley on what we've heard in teasers/trailers, Isn't that a little unfair? A page or so ago someone pointed out the stuff in the trailers, especially the early one, might not even have been Johansson's work.

onthewall2983
09-24-2017, 03:12 PM
I think Hans will do a good job. While it seems obvious to go to him because of his stature in Hollywood, you also have to remember he has a long-standing working relationship with Ridley Scott, so I'm sure he has as much reverence for the original film and Vangelis' work as anybody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0kobbjpdUg

onthewall2983
09-26-2017, 11:43 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNVPl3NavWM

hologram parade
09-26-2017, 03:01 PM
Black Out 2022

https://68.media.tumblr.com/1c45fb0751652bb116170e01a01e0beb/tumblr_owwjtrs39A1uvvamyo1_540.jpg

Dream
09-26-2017, 07:03 PM
The movie is being called a groundbreaking sci fi masterpiece by early reviewers.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/blade-runner-2049-buzz-critics-are-raving-about-the-long-awaited-sequel/

sonic_discord
09-26-2017, 08:12 PM
The movie is being called a groundbreaking sci fi masterpiece by early reviewers.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/blade-runner-2049-buzz-critics-are-raving-about-the-long-awaited-sequel/

As someone who wasn't exactly blown away by the original (I know, blasphemy, right?), I have to say that I wasn't very excited about this movie until I started seeing trailers for it, which did make it look really good. Now hearing these early rave reviews, I'm thinking I might have to go see this when it comes out. As far as not loving the original (I don't hate it, it's just not one of my favorite sci-fi films), I never saw it when I was young and it was newer, so for me, it lacks the nostalgia element of something like Star Wars or Alien. In addition, I don't think it aged terribly well. It's a lot more like Mad Max or Tron for me, in that I didn't see the original(s) during their respective hey-day, so it's harder for me to forgive the slow pacing in the beginning of the movie (and in Tron's case, the horrendous special effects). Blade Runner, like the first Mad Max, may feel pretty aged, but I can't deny that both were massively influential and contained some wildly original ideas and made considerable impacts on the genre. There's a reason that both have had sequels produced recently. I really liked Fury Road though, so I wouldn't be surprised if I end up loving this, too.

Dream
09-26-2017, 08:47 PM
As someone who wasn't exactly blown away by the original (I know, blasphemy, right?), I have to say that I wasn't very excited about this movie until I started seeing trailers for it, which did make it look really good. Now hearing these early rave reviews, I'm thinking I might have to go see this when it comes out. As far as not loving the original (I don't hate it, it's just not one of my favorite sci-fi films), I never saw it when I was young and it was newer, so for me, it lacks the nostalgia element of something like Star Wars or Alien. In addition, I don't think it aged terribly well. It's a lot more like Mad Max or Tron for me, in that I didn't see the original(s) during their respective hey-day, so it's harder for me to forgive the slow pacing in the beginning of the movie (and in Tron's case, the horrendous special effects). Blade Runner, like the first Mad Max, may feel pretty aged, but I can't deny that both were massively influential and contained some wildly original ideas and made considerable impacts on the genre. There's a reason that both have had sequels produced recently. I really liked Fury Road though, so I wouldn't be surprised if I end up loving this, too.
Blade Runner has aged extremely well IMO. Nostalgia doesn't come into it at all for me, I first saw it in the 00's and it blew me away.

Did you watch The Final Cut?

sonic_discord
09-26-2017, 11:04 PM
Blade Runner has aged extremely well IMO. Nostalgia doesn't come into it at all for me, I first saw it in the 00's and it blew me away.

Did you watch The Final Cut?

I'm not sure. I think it was the director's cut (is that the same thing?) and I only saw it once. Maybe it just wasn't the right circumstances to be watching that movie, who knows. I will probably rewatch the original sometime soon (especially if I intend to see the sequel) to refresh my memory and give it a second chance. There have been occasions where, for whatever reason, I wasn't too into a movie the first time I saw it, but enjoyed it MUCH more the second time. Watchmen, Pulp Fiction, and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas spring to mind as examples.

Haysey_Draws
09-27-2017, 04:24 AM
Early reviews are promising. If anything i'm just looking forward to almost 3 hours of beautiful sci-fi cinematography (i was hoping to get that with Ghost in the Shell...)

I have my ticket for next Saturday booked, bring it on.

jmtd
09-27-2017, 05:17 AM
Early reviews are promising. If anything i'm just looking forward to almost 3 hours of beautiful sci-fi cinematography (i was hoping to get that with Ghost in the Shell...)

The nipple-less boobs are just too weird for me. I've seen that stuff in some music videos recently too. I guess it's an attempt to be as sexy as possible on one side of a censor's red pen. But It's not sexy at all IMHO, it's dehumanizing, real uncanny-valley stuff.

jmtd
09-27-2017, 05:30 AM
I'm not sure. I think it was the director's cut (is that the same thing?) and I only saw it once. Maybe it just wasn't the right circumstances to be watching that movie, who knows. I will probably rewatch the original sometime soon (especially if I intend to see the sequel) to refresh my memory and give it a second chance. There have been occasions where, for whatever reason, I wasn't too into a movie the first time I saw it, but enjoyed it MUCH more the second time. Watchmen, Pulp Fiction, and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas spring to mind as examples.

Final Cut is the definitive version and it came out in 2007. My advice would be to watch that version and on the best setup you can find. It works well in a real theatre. They've just re-issued the final cut on 4k. By the sounds of it this is not the version you tried to watch.

eversonpoe
09-27-2017, 09:54 AM

a lot of people actually really don't like the director's cut.

Final Cut is the definitive version and it came out in 2007. My advice would be to watch that version and on the best setup you can find. It works well in a real theatre. They've just re-issued the final cut on 4k. By the sounds of it this is not the version you tried to watch.

i totally forgot that my dad has the blu-ray set with all the versions of the movie, and i still haven't watched the final cut (and my wife has never seen any version of the movie) so i borrowed it in the hopes that we can watch it soon.

hologram parade
09-28-2017, 11:54 AM
http://68.media.tumblr.com/ebf9e602952790b0b4d3a8737c5e7a28/tumblr_ox007g5wOL1uvvamyo2_r1_500.jpg

http://68.media.tumblr.com/bf57451a4e91c56922bc258af04674e4/tumblr_ox007g5wOL1uvvamyo1_500.jpg

1/10 scale 2049 Deckard!

sonic_discord
09-28-2017, 12:21 PM
http://68.media.tumblr.com/ebf9e602952790b0b4d3a8737c5e7a28/tumblr_ox007g5wOL1uvvamyo2_r1_500.jpg

http://68.media.tumblr.com/bf57451a4e91c56922bc258af04674e4/tumblr_ox007g5wOL1uvvamyo1_500.jpg

1/10 scale 2049 Deckard!

All I can think of is Han Solo frozen in carbonite.

hologram parade
09-28-2017, 03:21 PM
All I can think of is Han Solo frozen in carbonite.

not quite

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/images/AUTOIMAGES/HSB1758lg.jpg

Exocet
09-29-2017, 11:57 AM
this is seriously getting some of the best reviews I have ever read...ive read 5 or 6 reviews and in each one the reviewer is hyperventilating or having an orgasm

The Guardian even called it an' improvement on the first'......whaaaat. but yeah I'm excited now, have always felt sequel to such a classic was unwarranted but pleasantly surprised to read the reviews

jmtd
09-29-2017, 12:09 PM
I made my own carbonate han solo as a kid with regular han, an empty ice cream tub and a freezer.

GulDukat
09-29-2017, 07:20 PM
Looks like I was wrong and this movie will be fantastic.

Dream
09-30-2017, 03:51 AM
Not surprised here, Denis Villeneuve is the real deal.

Haysey_Draws
10-02-2017, 09:45 AM
The reviews and internet reaction have convinced me to cancel my ticket for Saturday. I will not be seeing this film...

But i will be seeing it in IMAX 3D! Yep, it sounds like a beautiful sci-fi feast for the eyes (and a good movie to boot!) so i want to see it in the best possible way, no crummy standard screen or D-BOX in Wembley, ho no.

I can't wait for nearly 3 hours of cinematography porn with the biggest beg of popcorn they have to offer me! ...maybe a small drink, i don't wanna be busting to piss after.

Haysey_Draws
10-02-2017, 10:00 AM
It's currently 96% on rotten tomatoes, and the reviewers are all but gushing how this is one of the best squeals ever (now that's some high praise!)

It was funny going through the reviews, only 2 had anything bad to say, and one flat out called it everything wrong with Hollywood and gave it a D...considering how i'd never heard of the publication they were from i'm getting the feeling they might be after some attention...or they don't like sci-fi :rolleyes:

Microwave Jellyfish
10-02-2017, 11:31 AM
There's just no way it's going to live up to the hype, but I am getting really curious.

Is there any word about an OST release? I heard there was some shitshow going down behind the scenes with Johansson, and it's (sadly) Zimmer composing now, but otherwise I'm out of the loop.

jmtd
10-05-2017, 12:48 PM
Anyone bought the deluxe 4K reissue of the original, if so, is the booklet any good? I'm considering upgrading my 2007 deluxe DVD box set. I already own the basic Blu Ray.

october_midnight
10-05-2017, 01:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAb8KIhgVAI

dlb
10-05-2017, 02:21 PM
There's just no way it's going to live up to the hype, but I am getting really curious.

Is there any word about an OST release? I heard there was some shitshow going down behind the scenes with Johansson, and it's (sadly) Zimmer composing now, but otherwise I'm out of the loop.

soundtrack is on spotify as of today. will give this a spin today before going to the cinema next week!

EDIT: hmm, not feeling it so far. It's Blade Runner but on the other hand it feels all to similar and overall very slow which is contradictory to the action packed trailers. My worries that this is another solid but rushed Hans Zimmer job pretty much came true. It has awesome moments, but only a handfull of tracks really stand out. Oh and the two Elvis tracks have me wondered where they will appear, they sound very out of place on this OST.

But the only real downside is that bullcrap "almost human" song by Lauren Diagle. C'mon, what is up with that? Does every blockbuster need to have a shitty original song for the charts? At least get Gaga, Sia or Victoria Modesta for shit like this...

Substance242
10-05-2017, 04:58 PM
Back from cinema - BEAUTIFUL. I'm definitely going again, but to 2D, 3D is not needed and I want more brightness. And then I'll buy big 4K OLED and watch it again, and then some more. Sometimes it's a bit "slow", but hey I enjoy Twin Peaks so everything good for me! The movie of the year, no question. I did not hope it will be such a good sequel to the first movie, you can see that it is the same world, but later in time.

Also, Ford is so good when he's going through emotions, almost not moving, like in The Age of Adaline (when he discovers something), or here when he's going to say one name...

And, probably the most interesting erotic scene in film I've seen, interesting. :-) Decided to go again right tomorrow (Fri).

Mr. Blaileen
10-06-2017, 01:40 AM
Just got back - it was awesome. Mostly lives up to the hype, IMO. Fantastic performances from everyone involved. It's not too spoilery to say that it's heavily tied in with the original film. Loved that.

The cinematography was beautiful. Definitely a lot to digest; I'm gonna have to go see this one again.

Substance242
10-06-2017, 02:22 AM
It's strange, but this morning my impressions from the movie are even stronger than yesterday... ticket for today bought, this time 2D and I'll try first row, I want big bright picture. And I am going alone and don't give a damn, I don't need nobody for this, maybe it's even better, just shut up and focus and absorbe. I think this is the movie of the year 2049. ;-)

jmtd
10-06-2017, 03:33 AM
Planning IMAX 2D next Wednesday.

Mr. Blaileen
10-06-2017, 07:17 AM
It's strange, but this morning my impressions from the movie are even stronger than yesterday... ticket for today bought, this time 2D and I'll try first row, I want big bright picture. And I am going alone and don't give a damn, I don't need nobody for this, maybe it's even better, just shut up and focus and absorbe. I think this is the movie of the year 2049. ;-)

Haha I go to movies alone all the time. In fact, almost prefer to do it that way sometimes..especially if it’s something I really wanted to see.

nodylnai
10-06-2017, 10:54 AM
Easily the best sci-fi I've seen in a long time, possibly one of the best movies period. Have barely been able to stop thinking about it since it let out last night, and planning to go back again tonight. There wasn't a second in the entire 164 minute runtime that I was bored or uninterested, Villeneuve et. al. knocked it out of the park with this.

Jon
10-06-2017, 10:56 AM
Anyone bought the deluxe 4K reissue of the original, if so, is the booklet any good? I'm considering upgrading my 2007 deluxe DVD box set. I already own the basic Blu Ray.

Which country? Mine had 4 discs stacked on top of each other and an insert for the UV UHD digital edition.

EDIT: In case you weren't aware, there's a revised version of Future Noir (https://www.amazon.com/Future-Noir-Revised-Updated-Making/dp/0062699466/ref=pd_sbs_74_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0062699466&pd_rd_r=J7TC02N6WMSJ1HKTB91H&pd_rd_w=aMa9w&pd_rd_wg=HF27c&psc=1&refRID=J7TC02N6WMSJ1HKTB91H) out. I think it's already been mentioned, though.

allegate
10-06-2017, 02:45 PM
https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/915982292417482752

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/915982292417482752

Not my dad but now I want to see that movie.

implanted_microchip
10-06-2017, 03:49 PM
I'd been unconvinced of this project and didn't feel it was necessary at all, but just got back from seeing it -- nothing will match the original, but this was a sincere labor of love and everyone involved was giving it their all. The pacing, the soundtrack (worked great in context), the acting, the lighting and design -- gorgeous, wonderful stuff. There are things they managed to do that really impressed me and it didn't feel like it trampled on the original at all, in any way. Villenueve is just fucking gunning for an Oscar, isn't he?

jmtd
10-06-2017, 04:30 PM
Which country? Mine had 4 discs stacked on top of each other and an insert for the UV UHD digital edition.

UK in both cases. 5 disc 2007 DVD; 4 disc 2017 set seems to be 1 UHD, 3 Blu ray. The contents look to be exactly the same asides from formats (and consolidaton in the case of 5 discs to 3). No new content except maybe a new ridley intro to the UHD version (not sure). The workprint is in HD, I think, so that would be an upgrade on my '07 DVD set.

The '07 DVD set had a little transparent letter from RS which was a bit like the TR one in AACHB, a short booklet, some postcards of concept art and a crappy plastic paperweight thing with a 3D-ish spinner inside it.

EDIT: In case you weren't aware, there's a revised version of Future Noir (https://www.amazon.com/Future-Noir-Revised-Updated-Making/dp/0062699466/ref=pd_sbs_74_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0062699466&pd_rd_r=J7TC02N6WMSJ1HKTB91H&pd_rd_w=aMa9w&pd_rd_wg=HF27c&psc=1&refRID=J7TC02N6WMSJ1HKTB91H) out. I think it's already been mentioned, though.

Hey thanks, argh. I haven't read the last edition yet, it's sat gathering dust here :(

DVYDRNS
10-06-2017, 05:55 PM
this movie was fucking awesome.

NIN64
10-06-2017, 06:16 PM
Saw it in IMAX last night. I was utterly blown away. . . I will be seeing this in IMAX at least a second time, maybe more. I don't usually do that. . .

Jon
10-06-2017, 10:17 PM
UK in both cases. 5 disc 2007 DVD; 4 disc 2017 set seems to be 1 UHD, 3 Blu ray. The contents look to be exactly the same asides from formats (and consolidaton in the case of 5 discs to 3). No new content except maybe a new ridley intro to the UHD version (not sure). The workprint is in HD, I think, so that would be an upgrade on my '07 DVD set.

The '07 DVD set had a little transparent letter from RS which was a bit like the TR one in AACHB, a short booklet, some postcards of concept art and a crappy plastic paperweight thing with a 3D-ish spinner inside it.

That's hilarious. Here's the US 30th Anniversary 4-Disc from 2012:

The 4-Disc Combo Pack Edition includes DVD and HD Ultraviolet copies of the film's Final Cut, a 72 page stand-alone hardcover book -- "The Art of Blade Runner" / "Blade Runner: From the Archives", a toy Concept Spinner, and a 3D lenticular image from the film.

caca
10-07-2017, 05:00 PM
Saw it last night. Loved it.

r_z
10-07-2017, 07:13 PM
Fantastic movie. I've yet to decipher in which terms it's more than just gorgeous sci-fi porn. I'm convinced it is in that it raises questions just as "what makes us human?", "what's it worth to live/die for?", "who am I?", "what is real and what is fake?". Have to think about it and let it sink in for now.
Definitely planning on seeing it again!

Microwave Jellyfish
10-08-2017, 07:01 PM
There's just no way it's going to live up to the hype
Never mind, it did.

thevoid99
10-08-2017, 07:45 PM
Saw it this morning and... fuck. It is everything it needed to be and more. I loved it. Here's my full review: http://thevoid99.blogspot.com/2017/10/blade-runner-2049.html

Swykk
10-08-2017, 08:25 PM
I loved it through and through. It did everything so well. It hit me much harder than I thought it would. I really felt the isolation and lonesomeness but it looked so damn gorgeous.

This is probably my favorite movie of the year.

Haysey_Draws
10-09-2017, 02:35 AM
This is a film that needs to be seen at cinemas, it's just so freaking gorgeous. I freaking loved it, ALOT!

PhoenixML
10-09-2017, 06:40 AM
Absolutely beautiful. Ryan Gosling is fantastic. The more I thought about the film afterward, the more I enjoyed it. To me, it's better than the first one.

nodylnai
10-09-2017, 08:14 AM
Went to see it again yesterday with an all-but packed theatre. Even with more (still mostly older) folks there, the showing was largely silent throughout, which is quite atypical for most viewings I've been to of late. Loved it just as much the second time around, it's truly a unique cinematic experience unlike anything else I've seen theatrically in some time. Gosling, de Armas, and Hoeks deliver fantastic performances, but I noticed more nuance in Ford's than the first time around. I imagine there will be more performance subtleties to be discovered with repeated viewings, much like there are with visual flourishes and details. I still have found myself reflecting on this film more than anything else in recent history... and the score!! Wallfisch and Zimmer did an amazing job, it suits the film so well and has been on repeat for me for days (but then, I've quite enjoyed ominous droning for some time...). I'm definitely going back again, I really hope this film gets a lot of repeat viewers and word-of-mouth gets new folks in to see it, particularly with the lower-than-expected gross this past weekend. We need more quality sci-fi these days and less superhero bloat.

Haysey_Draws
10-09-2017, 09:35 AM
I've been listening to the score all afternoon, it's very VERY good stuff.

Also a little finger lickin good piece of gossip from the film, Villeneuve didn't originally want Jared Leto as Niander Wallace. His original first choice for the role was none other then David Bowie, but he died before production began.

...now i would have loved to have seen that!

bobbie solo
10-09-2017, 10:06 AM
I'll be seeing it in true IMAX (please make sure your theater is a real one, not just a bigger than usual screen with loud speakers) this week, but sadly it did bomb by the typical definition. Only $35 million total in the US.

richardp
10-09-2017, 03:34 PM
I've been listening to the score all afternoon, it's very VERY good stuff.

Sea Wall at maximum volume is unreal. Its an incredible piece of music.I'm still curious about Johan Johansson's score, but fuck, Hans and Wallfisch really knocked it out of the park with this one. My only wish is that the soundtrack album itself would have been presented a bit abstract like the original.

As for the movie itself, I'm still amazed this turned out to be as great as it did. This could have easily been a mess, but Villeneuve truly made a sci-fi masterpiece here. Everything about it was great.

snichols
10-09-2017, 07:18 PM
just got home from finally seeing blade runner 2049. after i left the theater i turned the background world on in my car for the ride home.

RoboHunter
10-11-2017, 03:19 AM
Such a relief that they had the balls to do this movie properly and not cater to the masses by shitting all over the original. Saw it on Saturday and still thinking about it now. Can't wait to see it again.

miss k bee
10-11-2017, 05:53 AM
Watched it in Berlin in IMAX 3D with my friend who is Bladerunner mad. Was good but a bit overlong for me.

october_midnight
10-11-2017, 08:55 AM
Saw it in IMAX last night and it was fantastic. Yeah a tiny bit overlong, but not that I wanted it to end at all haha...loved it.

dlb
10-11-2017, 04:17 PM
loved it! period. loved pretty much every actor (could have done without the Joi character), loved the pacing although it's a long ass movie and thought that the original was expanded on in an overall smart and exiting way.

my only complaints, but no deal breakers:

despite the fact that I find the soundtrack a tad boring in itself, it did wonders when hearing it in the movie. Very nice nod to the original in places and very fitting. But in the end I would have loved it to be a bit more eerie and less Inception-droney.

other than that I found the movie to be a bit too bright for my taste and open worldly. I love the claustrophobic feeling of the original, the crammed streets and the city life in general. I was a bit dissapointed that we only get to see glimpses of this here and there. overall I found the building interiors too polished, but maybe that's due to the 30 years of developement. I also love the use of smoke in the original which was basically non existant in 2049. In itself the movie could have looked a whole lot darker for my taste and more "noire" if you want to call it this. It all does look stunning and beautiful, but some grittyness was missing that made the original so appealing to me.

One of my favorite things about the movie was that they used the originally planned opening scene for the original in this one. A little bit altered but once I saw that cooking pot I knew what they were going for! :)

DVYDRNS
10-11-2017, 04:58 PM
going to see it again right now. in 3D. I need to see it. again...

cashpiles (closed)
10-11-2017, 05:48 PM
Yet again Hollywood sucks the soul out of an original authentic work. This movie sucked. The script was cheese. Who cares if Villeneuve is a great director. It can't change the fact that the script is weak. Plus, the soundtrack... awful and grating.... the most grating parts didn't seem to match the tone of the film.... like another version of this film was in the composer's mind.

I'm so sick of Hollywood fucking original works.

mfte
10-11-2017, 05:58 PM
Yet again Hollywood sucks the soul out of an original authentic work. This movie sucked. The script was cheese. Who cares if Villeneuve is a great director. It can't change the fact that the script is weak. Plus, the soundtrack... awful and grating.... the most grating parts didn't seem to match the tone of the film.... like another version of this film was in the composer's mind.

What would you give it out of 10?

implanted_microchip
10-11-2017, 06:44 PM
(could have done without the Joi character)

I thought Joi added incredible depth to the film -- the Sync scene is the most emotionally strong thing I've seen a movie theatre this year, and the way that her character is used as a way for K to question what differentiates artifice from actual life and whether or not free will, independent action and thought/feelings can exist in something designed to be a certain way was fantastic.

There were so many scenes with her character that deepened the sense of how AI/replicants are viewed within the world of Blade Runner, and when the replicant prostitute judges her for "lacking" depth it was a great articulation of how people, no matter how oppressed themselves, always find another class to hate and oppress as well.

Swykk
10-11-2017, 07:10 PM

Is that you, Armond White?

Mr. Blaileen
10-11-2017, 09:27 PM
Saw it for a second time yesterday, this time in IMAX. Absolutely loved it again. Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford's performances were absolutely wonderful. Not that his performance as Han Solo was bad or anything, but it really felt like Harrison gave it his all on this one. Really appreciated the score a lot more the second time around as well.

My only real gripes with the film are minor: There are a lot of quieter scenes in the middle without music. I wish in at least some of those scenes there was something playing underneath them to help fill the gaps a little more. Also wish they showed more of the greasy, slummy, dark, claustrophobic, smoky inner city life that we saw in the original. There was some of that in 2049, but I could have done with more. Minor gripe though. What we did get was pretty gorgeous.

Still loved it, though. Definitely a worthy sequel and I can't wait to buy the blu-ray. Picked up the score already. I love Hans Zimmer, and I like drony ambient music, so this is right up my alley.

valiantsteed
10-11-2017, 10:33 PM

I don't understand this criticism at all.

I mean yes, I saw and absolutely loved the film, but I reserve room for anyone not to like it, just not on that premise. This was as original and authentic a film as there could possibly be for a 35 year old sequel.

Take the underlying premise of the original film; what does it mean to be human? Not exactly a new conversation but an interesting philosophical one nonetheless, especially for its time - add in some great sound, visuals, and acting performances, and voila, a very solid sci fi work.

Now take the sequel - which continues to toy with that idea, but also attempts to provide some semblance of an answer. An answer as pretty much non hollywood as you could possibly get.

It takes the premise that we generally all feel that to be human means to feel special, to feel as though you have a purpose, to feel destined for something greater, to be a part of something greater (whether it be through religion or otherwise) - but this films underlying message is that in actuality you are not special, you are not destined for anything, you live out your days doing mundane tasks and then you die. With the only slight sense of optimism provided being that you can contribute something positive that effects another person in your limited window of opportunity if you so choose, despite any bleak circumstances you may have been dealt.

Making a 3 hour sci fi film with limited dialogue, one that doesnt reintroduce Deckard until 3/4 of the way into the film, where the protagonist ends up being a replicant with no greater purpose whatsoever, where there is no climax, end to the war, final villain fight scene, or anything of that sort is the most anti hollywood move you could make.

That kind of bold choice should be celebrated, even if you don't like the idea re-opening a franchise that had been closed for multiple decades.

It's an absolute shame that it bombed, because all that means is likely more of the same formulaic crap coming our way instead.

Critique this film all you want if you must (it's not flawless as much as I may call it a masterpiece) - but it certainly is relatively unique (especially for a "blockbuster") in its thematic nature, and I don't see how you can try to take away from that, outside of just being completely obtuse.

cashpiles (closed)
10-12-2017, 01:17 AM
What would you give it out of 10?

1/10 Same as I would give for Star Wars 7. In my mind the same thought popped out "worst movie I've ever seen"...I felt like walking out...

@valiantseed there was a final battle..with that replicant angel. It wasn't the boss of Wally Corp or whatever the hell it was, but it was still a boss.. they didn't kill the big guy because of course THEY WANT A SEQUEL... HOLLYWOOD....

Haysey_Draws
10-12-2017, 02:47 AM
Booked my ticket to see it again this weekend (along with LEGO ninjago...i hope that's better then LEGO Batman)

Everyone i recommended to go see it either loved it or enjoyed the cinematography and atmosphere of the whole thing :rolleyes:

dlb
10-12-2017, 03:26 AM
I thought Joi added incredible depth to the film -- the Sync scene is the most emotionally strong thing I've seen a movie theatre this year, and the way that her character is used as a way for K to question what differentiates artifice from actual life and whether or not free will, independent action and thought/feelings can exist in something designed to be a certain way was fantastic.

There were so many scenes with her character that deepened the sense of how AI/replicants are viewed within the world of Blade Runner, and when the replicant prostitute judges her for "lacking" depth it was a great articulation of how people, no matter how oppressed themselves, always find another class to hate and oppress as well.

I will pay closer attention to this on my second viewing, but I guess it starts with me not liking the actress to begin with. Maybe that's why I choose to blend out on the things you described whick make sense to me in the end, but I didn't feel them when I saw the movie. Her introduction felt gimmicky to me and the love scene was irritating to me on a visual level while it felt too long aswell. But good point, I will focus on that!

And yes, Mr. Blaileen, exactly. I would have loved to spend more time in the city rather than huge wastelands and junkyards. They all looked amazing of course but the thing that makes Blade Runner for me is the imagination of this city. We only catched glimpses of it since the movie mostly played out in sophisticated offices, at least that's my impression.

Swykk
10-12-2017, 06:14 AM
valiantsteed He’s always done this. That’s the short answer. He used to post a bunch of silly but fun false NIN news then has since moved on to trolling politics (not a good fit) and now he’s trying to be ETS’ Armond White with movies (albeit better than his political posts but not nearly as funny as the NIN stuff was).

If I were you, I wouldn’t trust a single word he says...

Haysey_Draws
10-12-2017, 07:20 AM
The ignore function on here exists for reason :rolleyes: (although it is a bit of a pain to find)

wizfan
10-12-2017, 11:22 AM
Loved it. My only real complaint was the soundtrack. In fact, I just tweeted Alessandro Cortini that he should have scored it.

Alexandros
10-12-2017, 01:27 PM
Simply amazing. Not much else to say. A real sci-fi gem.

Exocet
10-12-2017, 06:43 PM
I never thought a sequel would work, its amazing to discover they found a way of pulling it off, whats weird I felt more engaged with the plot in the sequel than in the first movie
Blade Runner is one of my favourite films because of how it looked and felt and the way it immersed you, the plot came second
here I was acctually was way more engaged with the story.
My favourite parts were actually the scenes that felt unlike the first film..the scenes where they leave Los Angeles and head out to the industrial wastelands, I really liked the Grey, bright lighting they used in those scenes, the part where Ryan Gosling goes to that child labour factory and finds the wooden horse in the stove blew me away too..really intense

mfte
10-12-2017, 07:34 PM
That one "throw in some flashbacks so the audience can keep up" part was not necessary.

wizfan
10-12-2017, 07:46 PM
Loved it. My only real complaint was the soundtrack. In fact, I just tweeted Alessandro Cortini that he should have scored it.

Alessandro replied to me: "I wish!"

Prettybrokenspiral
10-12-2017, 09:36 PM
I’ve seen this three times now — twice in IMAX — and I still want to go see it again. As many times as I can stand while it’s in theaters.

Not even taking into account the cinematic aspects, this was virtually flawless for me from start to finish. Dark, beautiful and noir as fuck, just like the original. I love how it becomes a mystery by the middle, as plot points from the original begin to converge with 2049’s narrative. Having spent so much time over the years watching the first film, there were parts of this that hit me in the feels like few other movies I’ve seen from the modern era.

There is definitely room for a third film, especially if Officer K / Joe in fact turns out to be Deckard and Racheal’s son as he originally suspected, and if the replicant army succeeds in waging a war against the Wallace Corporation..

thevoid99
10-12-2017, 10:09 PM
I would totally go for a third film as long as it features Harrison Ford and Ryan Gosling as well as Denis Villeneuve at the helm. Have Ridley involved but only as a producer.

Alexandros
10-12-2017, 10:13 PM
There is definitely room for a third film

I would really, really prefer them not to attempt a third one. I cannot see how they can further expand the story and universe without losing some of the special Blade Runner vibe. Granted, I was also very skeptical for BR2049 and was proven entirely wrong, but...I don't know, I have the feeling that a third one will be one too many. It may very well be a good and enjoyable film but sometimes it's better to just leave a story be and not fully explore every possible niche of its universe. Plus, the wonder combination of Villeneuve and Deakins will be hard to recreate (please PLEASE tell me these two will collaborate for Dune). Finally, considering that commercially the film is not doing well, I'm afraid a third installment would veer into "safer" and more generic action waters. But all I'm saying could of course be absolute bullshit and I would be fine with that too!

P.S: I loved all of the performances (minus Jared Leto, who was fine but I didn't much care for the overly evil philosophising touch). I loved that Harrison Ford delivered one of the best performances of his career for this. Ryan Gosling a good blade runner doth make. But I have to give special mention to Sylvia Hoeks who played Luv. There was a sort of intensity in everything she did that played very well with her character. At times you could feel she was seething inside, rage and frustration and fear all mixed and bubbling under an immaculate, cold visage. Bravo!

P.P.S: Will be going to a second viewing for sure. The big screen experience for this is too perfect not to treasure.

Shadaloo
10-14-2017, 01:15 AM
It is really, really refreshing to have your cynicism over the prospect of a sequel to one of the best films ever nuked from orbit.

This film was outstanding and more than worthy. Didn't think it could he done.

fillow
10-14-2017, 02:54 AM
The only way a sequel to 2049 can work is if it's made another 30 years from now.

ImTheWiseJanitor
10-14-2017, 04:23 AM
The only way a sequel to 2049 can work is if it's made another 30 years from now.

Judging from opening weekend box office, I'm sure that won't be a problem.

Don't get me twisted though. I absolutely adored this movie, especially considering it had nearly every card stacked against it that you can imagine and turned out as good as it did. Planning on seeing it at LEAST one more time in theaters once I'm over being sick and can look at a screen for more than 20 seconds without going into a sneezing fit.

Side note: Ghost in the Shell (2017) is DEAD to me. Completely. Throw it in the trash. Blade Runner does ALL of it better.

hellospaceboy
10-14-2017, 02:28 PM
I saw this movie a couple of days ago but haven't had a chance to post about it yet...

Blade Runner 2049 is probably my favorite movie of 2017 (Arrival was definitely my favorite of 2016!!!) I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. I can't stop thinking about it, will have to go back for a second viewing for sure!

implanted_microchip
10-14-2017, 02:39 PM
I'd only want a sequel if it was totally unrelated to the events of the first two and explored more of the world in it (and even then, I'm good -- Blade Runner gave us enough of the streets to let us imagine anything happening in them and 2049 gave us enough of the outer wastelands to let us imagine whatever might be going on beyond them and I'm more than content with that). Explore the themes, have it be about a Replicant, sure, but don't ruin the Deckard/K storylines by pushing them too far. There was an ambiguity and sense of mystery somehow maintained through to the very end and in the wrong hands it'd be destroyed very quickly. A sequel to Blade Runner not only being good but being amazing without stepping on the legacy of the first one at all was an impossible magic act that was somehow pulled off, and I don't want to see someone attempt it yet again. There was already a one in a million chance of this film being as good as it was.

ImTheWiseJanitor
10-14-2017, 03:55 PM
Am I the only one, or was everyone else pleased with Jared Leto's performance? Say what you will about the dude's music or reputation (30 STM's BEST album was their first, and after that it's all hit or miss at best), but for how relatively little screen time or presence he had in the story, I thought he did a fine job.

I also like that there wasn't some big final explosion-filled fight with him in the climax or anything. Or that we didn't have actual scenes of the "war" between replicants and humans. The made the revolutionaries' presence known, and Wallace did his evil shit, but it leaves more to the imagination about how those threads can be concluded. Shit, if the next chapter of Blade Runner is just MORE occasional shorts from amazing directors (LOVE YOU SHINICHIRO!) or something of the like, handled VERY delicately, I'd absolutely be down for more world- and lore-building. But hey, time will tell. So far, this Blade Runner revival is looking like it has the potential to be another cult classic. I only hope that the people in charge of handling the franchise know when it's time to close the curtain. Like everyone's saying, the odds of THIS being a success were near impossible. Maybe it's best not to push it.

That being said, if the third film drops when I'm near 60, I'll happily watch it on the chip implanted in my brain to simulate movie theaters.

Edit: Thinking about it, if they had replaced Deckard and Rachael with completely new characters, or just alter any things that tie it to the first film (save for a cameo/reference or two?), this one probably still would've been able to stand on its own as a new Blade Runner installment. In that case, I would've been more open to/believe in a third film that doesn't involve them either, and instead focuses on a third new story that merely builds on the steps of the previous two. But seeing as we still had several main threads stemming directly from the first film, despite "resolving" some of them, I am inclined to think a third film would still involve those characters to sooome degree. It would just feel weird to have them involved with 2/3 of a trilogy of films. ^^'

I would want it all to end at three though, no doubt. If it has to be more than two, only three.

jmtd
10-14-2017, 05:07 PM
Just back from seeing it in 2D IMAX. Wow. Might see it again in 2 weeks on a regular screen (local charity cinema). I thought it was great.

october_midnight
10-14-2017, 06:19 PM
Am I the only one, or was everyone else pleased with Jared Leto's performance? Say what you will about the dude's music or reputation (30 STM's BEST album was their first, and after that it's all hit or miss at best), but for how relatively little screen time or presence he had in the story, I thought he did a fine job.

Get out of my head, lol.

onthewall2983
10-14-2017, 07:43 PM
The absolute highest compliment I can pay it is that it doesn't feel at all like a sequel as sequels generally are. It feels like a genuine continuation of the original story. I'll go as far as to say it accomplished exactly what Twin Peaks did, albeit in another format. New life breathed into a legend, which stands on it's own yet also makes it's origin shine even brighter.

botley
10-14-2017, 09:03 PM
Am I the only one, or was everyone else pleased with Jared Leto's performance? Say what you will about the dude's music or reputation[...] I thought he did a fine job.
Eh, I expected it to be bad and got about what I expected. Other than that, I liked the film and I'm glad I didn't just sit it out on his account.

Thinking about it, if they had replaced Deckard and Rachael with completely new characters, or just alter any things that tie it to the first film (save for a cameo/reference or two?), this one probably still would've been able to stand on its own as a new Blade Runner installment.
This I can agree with; it felt very little like a direct sequel except for the occasional subtle nods to scenography/environment of the original.

The 3D was fine (although still too damn dark) and I even dug the 4D effects in our theatre, haha. Strobe lights! Moving seats! Smoke machine! REAL RAIN LOLOLOL

Substance242
10-17-2017, 07:44 AM
This is not about 2049, but today I bought the Blade Runner Final Cut 4K Blu-Ray, doesn't matter I don't have the TV or player yet. :-) The reviews (avforums) were good and I was in the shop because of Curve CD replacement, so while I'm still here, gimme one of these.

Alexandros
10-17-2017, 10:57 AM
That moment when the scene shifts from the campfire sparks to the city lights...I guffawed with glee!

jmtd
10-18-2017, 09:23 AM
This is not about 2049, but today I bought the Blade Runner Final Cut 4K Blu-Ray, doesn't matter I don't have the TV or player yet. :-) The reviews (avforums) were good and I was in the shop because of Curve CD replacement, so while I'm still here, gimme one of these.

I've been considering picking this up. I don't plan to get a UHD player for a long time, but the digital 4k copy should play on my Mac, I think, and I'm very curious to see it on 4k. Although the digital copy would be a stream so I'd be subject to broadband not falling over to actually watch it. I'd much prefer a 4k rip but shrug

onthewall2983
10-18-2017, 10:31 AM
4K Blu-ray releases also come with a regular Blu-ray disc of the movie

henryeatscereal
10-18-2017, 11:28 AM
The movie looks great, the direction is great and the music is good; the script is whatever, not bad but nothing awesome; i did liked it but i think it's a bit overrated.

bobbie solo
10-18-2017, 01:30 PM
That moment when the scene shifts from the campfire sparks to the city lights...I guffawed with glee!

although not directly related, your post reminded of another little thing that is getting no love: Lennie James small role at the orphanage! That was a nice surprise.

jmtd
10-19-2017, 07:53 AM
Trying to find a review specifically of the original movie 4k deluxe boxed edition, and I'm failing but the search throws up THIS THREAD

botley
10-19-2017, 09:09 AM
Trying to find a review specifically of the original movie 4k deluxe boxed edition, and I'm failing but the search throws up THIS THREAD
Did you spot this one (http://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/48467/bladerunnerthefinalcut4kultrahdbluray.html)?

jmtd
10-19-2017, 09:26 AM
Did you spot this one (http://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/48467/bladerunnerthefinalcut4kultrahdbluray.html)?

Thanks, I have read that one, but that's not the edition I'm talking about, that's this one (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blade-Runner-4K-Special-Blu-ray/dp/B074SQ5559/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1508423115&sr=8-4&keywords=blade+runner+4k). The movie is exactly the same, but there's a booklet in the linked set, and I'm trying to find out whether it's a sub/super or disjoint set of stuff from the wee booklet I got in my '07-era DVD boxed set and whether to quadruple-dip to update or not.

Kodiak33
10-20-2017, 07:25 AM
Saw this last night in IMAX, really fucking good. Very impressive and immersive movie.

Substance242
10-21-2017, 05:52 AM
So, I was thinking "in LA, was also somebody else reminded of the Southern Oracle from The Neverending Story, one of my favourite movies of all time"...? (in my language it was called "Sandonoriko") And indeed, I am not alone, and maybe my feeling was onto something because there are also unicorns and other interesting stuff: https://steemit.com/movies/@dailybitcoinnews/an-esoteric-journey-into-the-symbolism-of-the-gnostic-cathar-movie-the-neverending-story - this is not exactly about Blade Runner, sorry if off-topic, but there is some depth to both of these movies for me.

Also, The Sound Design Of Blade Runner 2049:
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2017/10/20/the-sound-design-of-blade-runner-2049/

GulDukat
10-21-2017, 11:48 PM
Wow. Amazing. One of the few sequels that is as good as the original.

GulDukat
10-22-2017, 08:54 AM
Sequels as good as, or better than the original:

The Godfather II
Superman II
The Empire Strikes Back
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Bladerunner 2049

Swykk
10-22-2017, 09:56 AM

The Godfather II
Superman II
The Empire Strikes Back
Bladerunner 2049

See also: Bill And Ted’s Bogus Journey

Jon
10-22-2017, 10:51 AM
Thanks, I have read that one, but that's not the edition I'm talking about, that's this one (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blade-Runner-4K-Special-Blu-ray/dp/B074SQ5559/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1508423115&sr=8-4&keywords=blade+runner+4k). The movie is exactly the same, but there's a booklet in the linked set, and I'm trying to find out whether it's a sub/super or disjoint set of stuff from the wee booklet I got in my '07-era DVD boxed set and whether to quadruple-dip to update or not.

I haven't given up on looking either, since I'm also interested. The most I was able to find was this blurb:

"...and an exclusive art book with behind-the-scenes photos, production art, sketches and storyboards."

bobbie solo
10-23-2017, 12:11 AM

The Godfather II
Superman II
The Empire Strikes Back
Bladerunner 2049

Come on...Terminator 2!

jmtd
10-23-2017, 04:56 AM
I haven't given up on looking either, since I'm also interested. The most I was able to find was this blurb:

"...and an exclusive art book with behind-the-scenes photos, production art, sketches and storyboards."

I'm feeling pretty flush for unknown reasons so I might just spring for it. If I do I'll photo up the booklet and my '07 one and put both sets up for comparison.

Come on...Terminator 2!

Yep. And Aliens, anyone?

fillow
10-23-2017, 05:48 AM
Come on, there are tons of great sequels out there. Die Hard 2, some of Rocky sequels, many Bond films, Clerks II, Mad Max 2 & FR, Fast Five, TDK, Evil Dead 2-3, etc etc etc.
Why is it that every time a new non-shitty sequel appears it gets inaugurated to the same hights as T2/Aliens/Godfather II is beyond me.

GulDukat
10-23-2017, 06:38 AM
Come on, there are tons of great sequels out there. Die Hard 2, some of Rocky sequels, many Bond films, Clerks II, Mad Max 2 & FR, Fast Five, TDK, Evil Dead 2-3, etc etc etc.
Why is it that every time a new non-shitty sequel appears it gets inaugurated to the same hights as T2/Aliens/Godfather II is beyond me.The original Rocky was the best.

GulDukat
10-23-2017, 09:28 AM
The Sinatra hologram made me smile.

Boots
10-23-2017, 12:24 PM
I really have to see this now. I'm a huge fan of Harrison and Ryan.

GulDukat
10-23-2017, 12:36 PM
See also: Bill And Ted’s Bogus JourneyNo way, man. Bogus Journey was fun but the original was much better, and the sequel loses points for having a Slaughter song played so prominently.

GulDukat
10-23-2017, 12:39 PM
Why is it that every time a new non-shitty sequel appears it gets inaugurated to the same hights as T2/Aliens/Godfather II is beyond me.Because for every Godfather II we get a Speed 2: Cruise Control.

r_z
10-23-2017, 01:02 PM
Saw it three times now. Still loving it.

Minor nitpick: When Niander plays Deckard a recording of his first time meeting Rachael it kind of made it look like they fell in love on first sight back in 2019. Which going back to the first movie they clearly weren't... with him being incredibly rude to her and all.

jmtd
10-24-2017, 09:12 AM
Saw it three times now. Still loving it.

Minor nitpick: <spoiler clipped>

Yeah, that felt a little forced to me. Also,

that particular clip in question, it's baked into my brain so much from being in the soundtrack, it was jarring to hear it repeated in this movie.

joplinpicasso
10-24-2017, 02:03 PM
Yeah, that felt a little forced to me. Also,

that particular clip in question, it's baked into my brain so much from being in the soundtrack, it was jarring to hear it repeated in this movie.

I don't think it was forced. Wallace seems to act like he is omniscient, but I don't think he was off-base. After all, Gaff made the erection origami after Deckard met Rachel.

DVYDRNS
10-25-2017, 04:51 PM
Had a discussion with someone who said blade runner 2049 is sexist.

The movie also depicts orphans being forced into tearing through garbage for valuable metals.

Does that mean the film makers condone horrific treatment of children as a disposable work force? Of course not.

How would you expect gender equality to exist in a world where that sort of thing is the norm?

The movie is sexist. And it's supposed to be. It doesn't depict a positive future for mankind. But just because it depicts it, doesn't mean it condones it.

Use some logic. Some people just wanna be pissed off at anything.

Go watch Bambi.

richardp
10-25-2017, 05:33 PM
Had a discussion with someone who said blade runner 2049 is sexist.

The movie also depicts orphans being forced into tearing through garbage for valuable metals.

Does that mean the film makers condone horrific treatment of children as a disposable work force? Of course not.

How would you expect gender equality to exist in a world where that sort of thing is the norm?

The movie is sexist. And it's supposed to be. It doesn't depict a positive future for mankind. But just because it depicts it, doesn't mean it condones it.

Use some logic. Some people just wanna be pissed off at anything.

Go watch Bambi.

Exactly!!

I work with someone who said the same thing, that they didn't like the movie because of how sexist it was.I tried explaining that I was pretty sure the sexism was intentional, to show that even thirty plus years in the future, in a dystopian state, that men still run the world. She like couldn't understand that concept, and just kept saying it was irresponsible of Hollywood to showcase that kind of sexism on screen or something. Whatever, man.

DVYDRNS
10-25-2017, 05:55 PM
Go watch Se7en. Kevin Spacey played a great role as a serial killer. Obviously we should all try to emulate him.

The Gardener
10-25-2017, 07:27 PM
This film was completely lackluster compared to the original masterpiece. Blade Runner is my absolute favorite film and the sequel did not measure up.Denis Villeneuve (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_Villeneuve) is not a visionary like Ridley Scott and Roger Deakins cinematography was much better in Prisoners and Sicario. Niander Wallace pales in comparison to Eldon Tyrell (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Blade_Runner_characters#Dr._Eldon_Tyrell) and Luv lacked the depth of Roy batty. As always Ryan Gosling (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Gosling) plays the same character in everything. A better choice would have been someone with better acting chops such as Jake Gyllenhaal or Michael Fassbender. Unfortunately I guessed all of the plot twists because they were beyond predictable and the soundtrack was laughable. They should have stuck with Jóhann Jóhannsson. the only good thing the film had going for it was Mackenzie Davis and Harrison Ford. I guess that I would put this film on par with The Force Awakens, not terrible but not great either. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackenzie_Davis)

Dream
10-25-2017, 11:33 PM
Movie lived up to my expectations, I need to watch it a few more times to understand all the nuance.

Better than the original (which is in my top 5) imo.

dlb
10-26-2017, 02:33 AM
or Michael Fassbender.

Jesus, I couldn't have handled it if he were to play K or even a counterpart to Luv / a new Roy Batty! I think he would've been perfect. But I guess him playing an android in another Ridley Scott universe didn't allow that. What a shame.

GulDukat
10-26-2017, 06:35 AM
Pre-ordered the musical score. That was amazing too and worth owning.

ambergris
10-26-2017, 05:13 PM
I was not disappointed. I expected it not to match the magic of the original. It was a slightly inferior film which still had a lot going for it. The "worldbuilding" was, again, fantastic. The actors were great.

Initially, I didn't like that I couldn't convince myself to find Nyander and his henchgirl entirely evil. I think they had a point, like K's boss also had a point, keeping order and all that. I liked that openness more and more the longer I was out of the cinema.

Of course, there is a bit more action in this one. And the "showdown" was too formulaic, and had no impact for me. The soundtrack was derivative (I'm no fan of Hans Zimmer.).
And something which the new movie lacks, but in which it is not alone, it tried to go for that "slow, epic" mood. Like the original. But it did not have a scene like the one where Rachel visits Deckard in his apartment and not much happens while Deckard sleeps. You can just drown in the mood, and "breathe" the pictures. The new movie did not achieve that. But I think the cinema today is too fast for something like that.

jmtd
10-27-2017, 04:02 AM
My current feeling is this movie surpasses the original. Heresy for some, I know, but there you go.

I was surprised at that criticism too, and my take after one watch is the same as yours; the film certainly portrays a misogynist society, and that's a deliberate aspect of the dystopia. That doesn't rule out the movie itself still being sexist, of course; for example does it pass the Bechdel test? I was planning to read up on the specific criticisms today before my second watch tonight.

Pre-ordered the musical score. That was amazing too and worth owning.

One of the limited edition CDs, or something else?

GulDukat
10-27-2017, 04:05 AM
My current feeling is this movie surpasses the original. Heresy for some, I know, but there you go.

I was surprised at that criticism too, and my take after one watch is the same as yours; the film certainly portrays a misogynist society, and that's a deliberate aspect of the dystopia. That doesn't rule out the movie itself still being sexist, of course; for example does it pass the Bechdel test? I was planning to read up on the specific criticisms today before my second watch tonight.

One of the limited edition CDs, or something else?Don't know if it's a limited edition--it just says that it's the film score, out 11/17.

jmtd
10-27-2017, 04:32 AM
Don't know if it's a limited edition--it just says that it's the film score, out 11/17.

Ah ok, cool. The only reason I asked is the only version(s) I'd seen available were limited edition CD, 2049 copies of each edition, two editions total:

https://bladerunner2049.shop.musictoday.com

I see that is now showing a vinyl release too

jmtd
10-27-2017, 09:14 AM
I'm feeling pretty flush for unknown reasons so I might just spring for it. If I do I'll photo up the booklet and my '07 one and put both sets up for comparison.

Ah, jesus.

I was queueing to actually buy this today, when I looked closer at the box, and, unlike the non-deluxe new UHD release, it appears the deluxe one (with the booklet) does not contain a UV copy. The UHD disc would be an ornament for me for the forseeable future, and I'd be relying on the stream version to actually watch it in 4k. So without the digital copy the box isn't worth it for me just now.

And I repeat: ah, jesus ffs, why is it such a research project to find the right version to buy, stupid marketing shit argh

wizfan
10-27-2017, 07:33 PM
The soundtrack was derivative (I'm no fan of Hans Zimmer.).

Thank you. I think you'll love this review: http://www.movie-wave.net/blade-runner-2049/

jmtd
10-28-2017, 05:54 AM
Pre Ordered the vinyl. On second viewing, noticed lots of music not present on the digital copy. I wonder if they will be on the vinyl exclusive track list

GulDukat
10-28-2017, 06:38 AM
Ah ok, cool. The only reason I asked is the only version(s) I'd seen available were limited edition CD, 2049 copies of each edition, two editions total:

https://bladerunner2049.shop.musictoday.com

I see that is now showing a vinyl release toohttps://www.amazon.com/Runner-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B076DQVT9Y/ref=tmm_acd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1509190619&sr=8-4 Doesn't say anything about being a special edition. You can download it now via amazon. The physical release is next month.

jmtd
10-28-2017, 07:51 AM
Pre Ordered the vinyl. On second viewing, noticed lots of music not present on the digital copy. I wonder if they will be on the vinyl exclusive track list

lol just checked, "vinyl exclusive track list" just means they dropped the Elvis and Sinatra tracks.

fillow
10-30-2017, 06:14 AM
Watched it for the second time yesterday.

A couple of bad CGI moments irritated me:
1) During the scrapyard sequence we see giant flying containers that drop off some metal litter, which falls down in slo-mo like a fucking paper or snow. Ugh.
2) The way nu-Rachael's body falls after Luv shoots her. Really??

Otherwise, I liked it even better than the first time.

onthewall2983
10-30-2017, 06:57 AM
It's strange, I'm all in on calling this a classic movie but I am at best lukewarm on the soundtrack. And I am a huge Zimmer fan. It might be the first score of his that I prefer in the context of watching the movie, because when I listened to it on it's own later on I wasn't taken back to that place like I was when I saw something like Interstellar or The Dark Knight. Then again, with Christopher Nolan Hans has been on the ground floor whereas here he was thrown into the process at the 11th hour. Under those circumstances you do have to give all involved the benefit of the doubt.

GulDukat
11-17-2017, 06:00 PM
It's strange, I'm all in on calling this a classic movie but I am at best lukewarm on the soundtrack. And I am a huge Zimmer fan. It might be the first score of his that I prefer in the context of watching the movie, because when I listened to it on it's own later on I wasn't taken back to that place like I was when I saw something like Interstellar or The Dark Knight. Then again, with Christopher Nolan Hans has been on the ground floor whereas here he was thrown into the process at the 11th hour. Under those circumstances you do have to give all involved the benefit of the doubt.
I was just about to post about the soundtrack when I read your post. I fucking love the score. I'm not really one for buying film scores, there are some I love--The Magnificent Seven, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, the original Blade Runner, Trent/Atticus' scores, and a handful of others. That said, when I saw the Blade Runner 2049 I knew I wanted the soundtrack. The Elvis and Sinatra tracks at first really seem out of place, but they strangely work, imho.

richardp
11-17-2017, 07:07 PM
I straight up immediately deleted the non score tracks when I downloaded the score. The rest of it is too fucking good to be dragged down by random songs that kill the flow of the actual score.

onthewall2983
11-25-2017, 08:26 PM
Villeneuve's response to the film's perceived misogyny (http://ew.com/movies/2017/11/25/blade-runner-2049-women-critique-denis-villeneuve/)

GulDukat
11-25-2017, 09:47 PM
Agreed. Forget about the tacked-on crappy ending on the 1982 release. The ending of the director's cut, when Rachel and Deckard head out to the unknown is perfect. Just leave it there. We don't know what happens to these characters, it's left to the viewer to ponder. A sequel will spoil that.Ok, I suck. I was so soo so wrong. I repent. This was a masterpiece. It was as good as the original.

Exocet
11-26-2017, 11:32 PM
this makes me wonder why no sequel was made decades ago, its up there with Terminator 2 and Aliens, these sequels followed their predecessors by only 7 years.

I know Blade Runner was a box office flop in 1982, but by the early 90s it had gained a significant following, I think maybe people may have found it daunting to follow it up. its just weird how easy they made a sequel look, I always thought it was impossible to follow, when now I can imagine a really great third film in the series.
maybe this one was only as great as it is was because they took so much time to realise it, I don't know.

onthewall2983
11-27-2017, 10:32 PM
Mainly rights issues I'd imagine. It's the same reason why the special edition DVD (with the "Final Cut") took so long to come out. And I doubt, at least until he decided his plate was too full with what he was interested in directing himself recently, that Ridley would have been eager to let someone else direct it.

The soundtrack is now available on Amazon Music MP3 for 5 bucks.

GulDukat
11-28-2017, 07:51 AM
Has anyone seen the original theatrical release of Blade Runner? Man, that voice-over was lame:

Go to 4:14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJzIT6fQ3OU

Now, compare that to the scene without the voice-over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoAzpa1x7jU

It's really such a poignant, beautiful scene. Glad we got that director's cut.

richardp
11-28-2017, 07:56 PM
Has anyone seen the original theatrical release of Blade Runner? Man, that voice-over was lame:

I'm truly just light heartedly ribbing you here, so take no offense, but damn man, how old do the think the average fan on this board actually is? I'd say a fairly size-able chunk of people here remember seeing it in its original theatrical release in theaters.

GulDukat
11-28-2017, 08:23 PM
I'm truly just light heartedly ribbing you here, so take no offense, but damn man, how old do the think the average fan on this board actually is? I'd say a fairly size-able chunk of people here remember seeing it in its original theatrical release in theaters.I'm 38 and didn't see the '82 theatrical release until the boxset with four diffferent versions, around 2007. The first director's cut was released in 1992 (withwithout the voice over) so probably a fair amount of people (below 30) never saw the 1982 theatrical release. From the early 90's on, the version without the voice over has been what most fans are probably familar with.

onthewall2983
11-29-2017, 07:11 PM
The theatrical '82 cut still gets played on television, even after these multiple cuts.

GulDukat
11-30-2017, 05:52 AM
The theatrical '82 cut still gets played on television, even after these multiple cuts.I've never seen Blade Runner on TV!

onthewall2983
11-30-2017, 09:26 AM
It was on HBO/Cinemax a few years ago when the sequel was announced, and I have little to doubt it will be again when 2049 airs on those channels next year.

Deepvoid
12-11-2017, 09:01 AM
0 nods at the Golden Globes, which I think sucks. Oh well...

thevoid99
12-11-2017, 06:45 PM

I never take the Golden Globes seriously to begin with. After all, they did nominate The Tourist for Best Comedy/Musical and gave an award to Pia Zadora.

botley
12-11-2017, 07:06 PM
That doesn't just suck, that's absolutely unfathomable. What the hell, HFPA?

october_midnight
12-11-2017, 07:21 PM
I've never seen Blade Runner on TV!

Here in Canada, it shows occasionally on our channel 'Space', but just the theatrical cut...the narration is still just so, so awful.

thevoid99
12-11-2017, 08:26 PM
That doesn't just suck, that's absolutely unfathomable. What the hell, HFPA?

It's because the Hollywood Foreign Press Association are a bunch of assholes who don't know shit about film and really just cater to whatever bullshit Hollywood gives them. Why do you think Pia Zadora won that Best New Star of 1980 Golden Globe over Kathleen Turner and Elizabeth McGovern?

fillow
12-18-2017, 07:39 AM
Listened the recent Swans live album and couldn't help but instantly think of BR2049 during The Knot:

https://youtu.be/dEguGPXg0IE?t=426

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_FAF_v87Qw&t=3469s

telee.kom
12-30-2017, 07:18 AM
This movie is a piece of art. It is in my top 3 of best scifi's ever made

GulDukat
12-30-2017, 07:40 AM
Amazon states the DVD/Blu-ray/4k will be released 1/16.