PDA

View Full Version : The Dragonball Franchise

Pages : [1] 2

Space Suicide
05-14-2012, 04:11 PM
This may get flamed but I don't care. I used to have mad love for this franchise way back in the day. My prompt to post this came off the heels of watching the horrible revival series, Dragonball Z Kai. Which is mainly a remastered, re-dubbed and edited version of the classic 90's anime - with my condolences to my childhood as I find it horrid. The voice actor work is subpar to the original series, which they made the voice acting for my favorite villain, Frieza, a bad choice. The soundtrack is also lacking and features dulled parallels. I also dislike the lack of bloodshed and damage, which is understandable as this is airing on the Nicktoons channel.

Anyways, enough whining! This can hopefully generate some conversation between nerds of yesteryear? I'm not much into the shows now but I respect them and find the best nostalgia in them. I also, shamefully, own seasons 1, 2 and 3 on DVD.

Let's make this thread include Dragonball, Dragonball Z and Drahonball GT.

dlb
05-14-2012, 04:23 PM
Dragonball and Dragonball Z alongside the Pokemon games have been my only real ventures into the realms of manga/anime, but those were great times indeed! Unfortunately I was already out of the loop with Dragonball and the likes when they started to air Dragonball Z over here, so I only watched the original Dragonball series back in the day and then went on to just read the books until #42. Never been into GT as the whole Sayajin-stuff did not appeal to me that much...

A friend of mine was madly into all things Japanese and he tried to hook me up with Neon Genesis Evangelion and stuff. Think I only read a couple of Dr. Slump (Akira Toriyama's other manga) books and then I was pretty much done with it. I still enjoy a quick fight at Dragon Ball Budokai whenever a friend has it for the PS. Brings back good memories. :)

Would love to read the books some time again, tough.

Conan The Barbarian
05-14-2012, 04:24 PM
Love it, I cannot wait to see the fan made trailer for the saiyan saga.

What do you think of the season sets Space? There is so much bitching but I am happy with them.

Space Suicide
05-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Love it, I cannot wait to see the fan made trailer for the saiyan saga.

What do you think of the season sets Space? There is so much bitching but I am happy with them.

What bitching has come about? I haven't heard any, please enlighten me.

I like them. I own the orange cardboard-based box versions that came out a few years ago. They're nicely inset and have a nice layout. They were definitely worth the price. $20.00 a season for the full sagas was definitely a good buy.

Wretchedest
05-14-2012, 04:43 PM
My roomie just downloaded all three series'. Stoked on future nostalgia binges.

aggroculture
05-14-2012, 05:01 PM
I loved Dragon Ball as a kid. Akira Toriyama is a genius. DB fans should totally check out Dr Slump if they haven't yet.

But Dragon Ball Z always struck me as a real sellout. DB is full of comedy, wacky characters, and good cheer. I find DBZ to be one extended fight scene. I find it boring, the humour was relegated, and I can't really tell the characters apart much. Also, Goku, such a mischievous kid, becomes a real boring goody two-shoes adult. I love the art and chara design (Freezer and Piccolo are cool as fuck looking), but I can't really keep up with DBZ, and its follow-ups.

bgalbraith
05-14-2012, 05:50 PM
If you haven't seen them yet, check out Team Four Star's Dragon Ball Z Abridged parody episodes. Hilarious.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
05-15-2012, 01:07 AM
I remember running home from the bus to catch Dragonball Z on Cartoon Network followed by Thundercats.. or the other way around; I loved it though.

Dragonball GT is fucking awesome though. Too bad it didn't really get any T.V. airplay at all. Vegeta will always be my favorite character of all time from the series.

Sallos
05-15-2012, 10:05 AM
i remember kids bringing portable tvs to school to watch dragonball. Heck one day even the teachers decided to stop classes for a couple of hours for a dragonball afternoon marathon, back when Cell was the big villain.

henryeatscereal
05-15-2012, 10:33 AM
i'm fan until Goku grows up, the series took a different direction after the whole Sayans/Raditz/Freezer stuff, i do like the Androids/Cell saga but it bummed me how long it was.
Dragon Ball GT was fun, a nice return and back to basics, still i hated the last saga (Evil Sheng Long) Piccolo killed him so easy and then is almost unbeatable? WTF?
I think it has its flaws just like any cartoon, but i think is a basic to understand manga, i still keep my Goku action figure to this day

Space Suicide
05-16-2012, 10:45 PM
What's everyones' favorite movie?

Conan The Barbarian
05-16-2012, 11:00 PM
DRAGONBALL EVOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!

all jokes aside, its hard for me to choose. Super Dragon fist is cool, maybe its Tapion's melody that gets me. I like the original Broly movie.

The scene with Krillin pretending to be Piccolo in Broly's revenge is just to epic.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
05-17-2012, 12:25 AM
Coolers Revenge, and The Tree of Might I always liked. Evolution was crap.

nemesiswontdie
05-17-2012, 05:22 AM
This thread needs more super sand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYa5aQb3YGE

henryeatscereal
05-17-2012, 09:26 AM
What's everyones' favorite movie?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0d/DBZ_THE_MOVIE_NO._12.jpg
...by far (i used to have this poster on my wall, haha, good times)

Space Suicide
05-17-2012, 05:24 PM
I can't even answer my own question! I love all the early movies (Dead Zone, The World's Strongest and The Tree of Might) and I also really enjoy Lord Slug, Cooler's Revenge, Return of Cooler and Broly, The Legendary Super-Saiyan,

I must say I think Lord Slug ranks as one of the top. I love Namekians and such a powerful, evil badass like him is top line.

carpenoctem
05-17-2012, 07:22 PM
I need more DBZ in my life. I have so many great memories with it. I remember towards the end of the sixth grade it was a big transitional period in my life: I was moving into a new house with a new family (my dad was about to get married, and my stepmom had three kids), and I was changing school districts and leaving all my friends after seven years. One of my fondest memories is borrowing the VHS tapes of the Saiyan Saga, the first episodes where Raditz and Vegeta come to earth, and watching the whole thing in one day while I packed my room. I didn't really understand it at the time but it's like I was saying goodbye to my childhood, and DBZ is so firmly entwined with that feeling that I always think fondly of it even now.

This can hopefully generate some conversation between nerds of yesteryear? I'm not much into the shows now but I respect them and find the best nostalgia in them. I also, shamefully, own seasons 1, 2 and 3 on DVD.

Never be ashamed!! I'll nerd out with you. :)

Conan The Barbarian
05-17-2012, 09:06 PM
Favorite moment for me is definetly when Goku first goes Super Saiyan. That was some epic shit.

carpenoctem
05-18-2012, 03:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYxCrugJj_o&feature=fvwrel

Conan The Barbarian
05-18-2012, 05:59 PM
Going to grab me some weed tonight. Thinking about watching some DBZ. Which Saga you think I should treat myself to? Im thinkin trunks through android.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
05-18-2012, 11:13 PM
^^^ That's a good one. I like the Cell Games saga. Seeing Trunks come from the future and being more bad ass then any fighter in that time is so sweet. O yea, and he destroys Cell in like a blink of an eye.

I just downloaded the whole GT series. I am going to be indulged in this for a while now ;)

SM Rollinger
05-18-2012, 11:31 PM
i loved trunks/android saga, the development of vegeta as a main charceter. oh dude, badass! about a year ago, i watched all 290is or so episodes of DBZ in order, wow that was alot! i remember when i watched them originally on toonami on cartoon network right before adult swim, back in 2001. i remembered alot more talking then there actually was! alot of people give the series flack for charceters talking crap to each other for 5 or 6 episodes before actually fighting, but that wasnt the case at all.

i really cant stress how much i like vegeta either

Space Suicide
05-20-2012, 01:27 PM
i loved trunks/android saga, the development of vegeta as a main charceter. oh dude, badass! about a year ago, i watched all 290is or so episodes of DBZ in order, wow that was alot! i remember when i watched them originally on toonami on cartoon network right before adult swim, back in 2001. i remembered alot more talking then there actually was! alot of people give the series flack for charceters talking crap to each other for 5 or 6 episodes before actually fighting, but that wasnt the case at all.

i really cant stress how much i like vegeta either

As far as Heroes go, I find Vegeta a favorite also. It's a really complex character structure how he evolved throughout the series as a sworn enemy, to an ally to a full out friend.

henryeatscereal
05-20-2012, 11:03 PM
i like Vegeta, but Piccolo is really high on my book...

leo3375
05-21-2012, 12:35 AM
I'm a total purist. I prefer the Japanese original of the series to any of the English dubs. Too much was changed, and it was butchered to bits. That's just me, though. I'm not trying to troll.

SeeOhDeeWhy
05-21-2012, 01:47 AM
I fucking loved Z as a kid (I just couldn't get into the original Dragonball or GT). I remember first seeing this trailer for the Trunks saga and going absolutely apeshit even though I had no idea what was going to happen. It just looked so badass. Looking back, it does seem pretty stupid, haha. TRUNKS.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4XLo_vwwwE&feature=related

I watched Z first so I never really got into Dragonball because I thought it was so boring in comparison. But being older, I really like Dragonball. I'm thinking of going back and watching the start of Z through the end since all of my Dragonball experience anymore is Team Four Star (which I absolutely love), but I should probably rewatch it all since I was so young when it first aired in the US. As far as my favorite saga, I'd have to say everything that built up to Cell. Trunks, Androids, Cell Games. Cell was such an awesome villain and Gohan killing him with the one handed Kamehameha is definitely one of my favorite moments of the show.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
05-21-2012, 08:12 PM
I am balls deep in the GT series right now; Goku as a little kid is pretty amusing I must say. I just want to get to the episodes when Super Saiyan 4's start coming out.

Edit: Vegeta is just bad ass. Will always be my favorite character.

Space Suicide
05-21-2012, 08:44 PM
I am balls deep in the GT series right now; Goku as a little kid is pretty amusing I must say. I just want to get to the episodes when Super Saiyan 4's start coming out.

Edit: Vegeta is just bad ass. Will always be my favorite character.

BAD MAN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ep_UYspiAM

henryeatscereal
05-21-2012, 08:52 PM
This thread needs more Mr Satan:

http://spe.fotolog.com/photo/14/57/75/bon_escrot/1213809450871_f.jpg

n_n

Space Suicide
05-21-2012, 10:24 PM
This thread needs more Mr Satan:

http://spe.fotolog.com/photo/14/57/75/bon_escrot/1213809450871_f.jpg

n_n

Best dipshit character ever.

henryeatscereal
05-21-2012, 10:45 PM
Best dipshit character ever.
But he is a hero!, he helps Goku to make the final Genkidama to kill Majin Boo!!! his fame helps the Sayans at the end (of DBZ)

Space Suicide
05-21-2012, 10:52 PM
But he is a hero!, he helps Goku to make the final Genkidama to kill Majin Boo!!! his fame helps the Sayans at the end (of DBZ)

The best part is when he faces Cell at the Cell Games and gets backhanded miles away only to play it off like it's an act and was supposed to happen. Videl is kinda neat though, only when she's a bitch and had pigtails though.

henryeatscereal
05-21-2012, 11:04 PM
The best part is when he faces Cell at the Cell Games and gets backhanded miles away only to play it off like it's an act and was supposed to happen. Videl is kinda neat though, only when she's a bitch and had pigtails though.
On that note: Fave DB Girls?
My Pick:

http://images.myfavoritegames.com/gallery-db-z-gt-x/Androids/Android_18/Android18Bored.jpg

leo3375
05-22-2012, 12:05 AM
Yeah, I'm gonna say that Vegeta is my favorite character because he certainly develops the most over the course of the series.

HERE THAR BE SPOILERS!
When we first meet Vegeta, he's out for immortality, and will stop at nothing to cement his status as the most powerful of the Saiya-jin. Because he was the heir to the Saiya-jin empire, he feels that it is his birthright to be the strongest and the best of his race. So his embarrassment when he learned that Goku, who was very weak by Saiya-jin standards in his infancy, was stronger and more powerful. He became determined to surpass Goku form that point on. In the Freeza saga, he coerced Gohan and Kuririn to ally themselves with him to fight the Ginyu Squad and Freeza, seeing as they had some of the Namek Dragon Balls, and they could allow Vegeta to have his wish for immortality fulfilled. But while dying from a fatal blow administered by Freeza, he urges Goku to kill Freeza for what Freeza did to their race and home planet. He's brought back to life by mistake and then winds up on earth, where Bulma offers him a place to live. Her family makes all sorts of accommodations for him, and somewhere in that timeline he knocks her up. He acts like he doesn't care about Bulma or their son, Trunks, but deep down he does. And finally admits it before killing himself in the Majin Boo saga in an effort to stop Boo. He ultimately accepts that Goku will always be a step ahead of him in terms of strength and power, but they become friendly rivals, as evidenced in the anniversary special. Vegeta and Bulma later have another child together, Bura, and in GT he is seen as very protective of her. So from ruthless killer to family man but still an arrogant badass, I would say that Vegeta is the most three-dimensional and best developed character in the series.

And my favorite female character? It's a toss-up between Bulma and Artificial Human #18. Bulma is extremely intelligent and adventurous but very rash, ill-tempered, and boy-crazy. (Man-crazy as she got older.) #18 handed Vegeta his ass one time and even bribed Mr. Satan to let him win the Tenkaichi Budokai in the Majin Boo saga—she threw the fight for double the cash winnings.

Space Suicide
05-23-2012, 07:35 PM
What if Frieza had a 5th form like Cooler?

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/17600000/Frieza-form-5-the-changlings-friezas-species-17631904-640-853.jpg

Mindfucked.

thelastdisciple
05-23-2012, 08:08 PM
On that note: Fave DB Girls?
My Pick:

http://images.myfavoritegames.com/gallery-db-z-gt-x/Androids/Android_18/Android18Bored.jpg
YES!

Haha some kids had crushes on Sailor Moon or something when they were young but 18 she was definitely my animated female eye candy.

henryeatscereal
05-23-2012, 10:39 PM
Always hated Krillin, he got the hottest girl in the series, lol

leo3375
05-24-2012, 12:51 AM
Has anyone else seen the special that was made in 2008? It hasn't been dubbed into English but it is on YouTube subbed. (Mods, if this violates any rules, please delete.)

http://youtu.be/a3u2ZPmLUO4

Halo Infinity
03-17-2013, 07:49 PM
I've mostly gotten into Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. I didn't get to see much of Dragon Ball GT though. I have just recently watched some of the parodies from Team Four Star, and I've got to say that it's almost as good as watching the actual show. I'm just currently very nostalgic about this franchise right now. It's been a long time since I've watched it and it didn't take me so long to see why I've gotten to love it so much.

Space Suicide
03-17-2013, 07:51 PM
I'm just currently very nostalgic about this franchise right now. It's been a long time since I've watched it and it didn't take me so long to see why I've gotten to love it so much.

Then for the love of God never get any interest to watch DBZ Kai.

aggroculture
03-17-2013, 08:03 PM
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/32100000/Bulma-Dragon-Ball-Opening-Ending-Images-dragon-ball-females-32166359-640-480.pnghttp://s3.argim.net/files/w/bulma_dragon_ball_2_240x400.jpg
The teenage me liked Bulma.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-17-2013, 08:35 PM
I hated that nothing came after GT. I have to say though it is was least favorite of any series in the Dragonball franchise.

Halo Infinity
03-17-2013, 08:45 PM
Then for the love of God never get any interest to watch DBZ Kai.
I definitely see what you mean. Any type of censorship or truncation obviously ruins any type of episode/movie for me. It's certainly a disgrace. (And then you have the different voices on top of all that.)

Space Suicide
03-17-2013, 08:49 PM
I definitely see what you mean. Any type of censorship or truncation obviously ruins any type of episode/movie for me. It's certainly a disgrace. (And then you have the different voices on top of all that.)

Not even that, some characters have new voice overdubs. They destroyed Frieza's voice and I cannot stand it as he is my favorite villain.

Frozen Beach
03-17-2013, 08:51 PM
I would understand the complaints if it were marketed as DBZ, but Kai has been made obvious that it's a different take on the story. To say it's a disgrace is pretty stupid, at least in my opinion. I think it'd only been a disgrace if it were pushed to take the place of the original series, which it really hasn't been.

Conan The Barbarian
03-17-2013, 08:59 PM
I hope battle of gods doesn't suck.

Halo Infinity
03-17-2013, 09:14 PM
I would understand the complaints if it were marketed as DBZ, but Kai has been made obvious that it's a different take on the story. To say it's a disgrace is pretty stupid, at least in my opinion. I think it'd only been a disgrace if it were pushed to take the place of the original series, which it really hasn't been.
Ah, no problem. That's kind of what I get for not really looking into it that much. However, I still consider Space Suicide's point. I will at least try to give it more of a chance. Pardon my ignorance.

Conan The Barbarian
03-17-2013, 10:26 PM
My beef with Kai is that I thought they were gonna edit it to where it flows nicely together. Instead , shit just jumps.

Now I stopped before the end of the sayain saga, they just skipped out on all the filler with out any flow. Gohan just out of nowhere is a warrior.

Now we all know what happens, but what about those who never saw it?

wizfan
03-18-2013, 02:07 AM
I remember the first DBZ Budokai video game. It was released in Playstation 2 first with quite cool graphics, then it was ported to Gamecube with a really shitty cel-shading effect. The second Budokai game had better cel-shaded graphics, if I remember correctly. I'd play Ultimate Battle 22 in PSX a lot, too.

The series was quite popular here in Greece as well. Of course, the Greek dubbing was bad and really corny - though, to be fair, the show is a bitch to translate, and I'm stunned that they managed to dub all episodes of DB and DBZ with just a handful of actors (just three or four, I think). And there was always the frustration of waiting seven days just to see a filler episode. Plus, I think one episode early in the DBZ series, in the Namek storyline, where Krillin was murdered was censored. But we would share memories and discussions with the other kids in class every day. I was surprised to see that, after that episode where the Saiyans would invade the Earth in six months aired, the episode where they got there actually aired almost six months after that! It felt kinda like real time, heh. The GT series never aired in Greece as far as I'm concerned, nor did any of the specials, movies etc.

SM Rollinger
03-18-2013, 05:20 AM
I was a huge DBZ fan back in the day, and I was appalled when I saw DBZ Kai on tv one day. For me, the best part of the show was the lead ups to the fights, and they were near non exsistant on Kai.

My favorite way to experence the show, was the dvds with the "full play" mode or whatever its called. The one where the episodes are cut together without the credits/recap/intro.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-18-2013, 09:00 PM
Kai is a travesty. I tried re-watching the Cell Saga and it left a really bad taste in my mouth. Thank god it was the last they did of the series I'm not mistaken.

Space Suicide
03-18-2013, 09:09 PM
Kai is a travesty. I tried re-watching the Cell Saga and it left a really bad taste in my mouth. Thank god it was the last they did of the series I'm not mistaken.

What was wrong or messed up?

Space Suicide
03-18-2013, 09:20 PM
Also

http://25.media.tumblr.com/17d7d554c77118dd4442f4cb7ad1be25/tumblr_mgws6pOuk51s1mmfzo1_500.png

Halo Infinity
03-18-2013, 09:25 PM
So perhaps I wasn't being too hasty? Perhaps it's just me, but I just want to see how far it goes as of now. I was also surprised to see a blue Mr. Popo. I never ever thought that I'd live to see that. :p

Conan The Barbarian
03-19-2013, 12:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-oXXKk-Qskc

SM Rollinger
03-19-2013, 06:01 AM
Badass, whats the story behind it? (like new movie or?)

Conan The Barbarian
03-19-2013, 09:05 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Z:_Battle_of_Gods

Wolfkiller
03-19-2013, 10:08 AM
I think the Kai being sold on DVD/blu-ray is different from the kiddy friendly heavily censored (blue Popo wtf?) version that is playing on TV currently. I figured I would buy the Kai sets since the orange bricks are garbage and the Dragon Boxes have long since been sold out.

Conan The Barbarian
03-19-2013, 10:23 AM
I have the orange bricks, and they are not that bad to be honest. I think people like to bitch and moan.

The dragon boxes I should have taken advantage of, they are going pretty hefty on ebay right now.

Callahan
03-19-2013, 10:41 AM
Wow, I never caught this this thread until now, major nostalgia feeling right now! I loved this show as a kid, and still have a soft spot for it. I used to watch it prior to it's North American release though, an older friend of mine used to be into it, and would trade VHS tapes through mail and get fansubbed versions of it (which eventually led to me doing the same thing). I remember when the English dubbed version came out, I was incredibly excited for it, but was quickly let down with the censoring and voice acting. Haven't watched an English dubbed episode since!

That being said, I'd check out this new Battle of the Gods movie if a subbed release ever hits the net. Would be fun to watch, and bring back tons of memories.

Conan The Barbarian
03-19-2013, 10:46 AM
You know it will, I cannot wait.

SM Rollinger
03-19-2013, 03:58 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Z:_Battle_of_Gods

Holy crap, a continuation of the dbz storyline?! BADASSS!

(when) is this getting a us release?

wizfan
03-19-2013, 06:32 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/601449_519485221426634_1367396801_n.png

Conan The Barbarian
03-21-2013, 02:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4GolJil4i0

spiralout
03-21-2013, 06:30 PM
^^^ Daaamnn. I'm actually excited for this.

I own all of the orange bricks, as well as the green bricks (GT). GT didn't really live up to my expectations although super saiyan 4 is pretty badass. After reading the wikipedia entry on Battle of the Gods, I wonder what super saiyan god looks like.

Conan The Barbarian
03-21-2013, 06:43 PM
I wont spoil it.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-21-2013, 08:01 PM
A swift judo chop takes Goku out in one shot? This looks epiccc.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
04-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Well this is really cool info about the movies release in Japan exceeding expectations.

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods opened at number one in the Japanese box office, earning US$7,317,313 with 561,098 tickets sold in only two days.[36] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Z:_Battle_of_Gods#cite_note-36)[37] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Z:_Battle_of_Gods#cite_note-37) The movie's showings at all 16 of the IMAX Digital theaters in Japan that weekend earned US$450,000, with an average of US$28,000 per screen.[38] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Z:_Battle_of_Gods#cite_note-Variety-38) It was ranked number five in the overseas box office chart by Variety (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variety_(magazine)), making it the top-grossing non-American film on the chart.[38] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Z:_Battle_of_Gods#cite_note-Variety-38)[39] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Z:_Battle_of_Gods#cite_note-ANNopening-39) While the top four films are playing in over 50 territories each, Battle of Gods' performance is based only on 328 screens in Japan.[39] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Z:_Battle_of_Gods#cite_note-ANNopening-39) By its fifth day, the film had made over US$12,000,000 with 988,790 tickets sold.[40] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Z:_Battle_of_Gods#cite_note-12million-40) As a result, the film was projected to sell more than 1 million tickets by its sixth day, making it the fastest film to reach that milestone so far this year in Japan.[40] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Z:_Battle_of_Gods#cite_note-12million-40) It was number one in its second week as well, with a total of 1,488,518 tickets sold and an estimated US$17,908,626 total earnings.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Z:_Battle_of_Gods#cite_note-17.9million-1)[41] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Z:_Battle_of_Gods#cite_note-41)
Toei is aiming for Battle of Gods to earn a domestic Japanese box office take of ¥3 billion (about US$32 million).[42] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Z:_Battle_of_Gods#cite_note-42) Oricon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oricon) compared Battle of Gods' box office total as of 1:00 p.m. on its first day with One Piece Film Z's total during that same time, and projects that Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods will exceed Toei's ¥3 billion target.

nemesiswontdie
09-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Have any of you guys seen or tried this?

Next time you're bored and wanna just relax and watch some DB/DBZ or GT (I'm not going to judge :P), give this a try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8P8omKuOfI

BOOOOOOM BITCH!

Space Suicide
09-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Interesting, even though I'm not much of a drinker.

aggroculture
01-22-2014, 08:10 PM
http://31.media.tumblr.com/978ba22bd4a902c99ecf99eb15201311/tumblr_mxb07ztVVY1s4foq3o1_400.gif

Conan The Barbarian
01-22-2014, 10:20 PM
Bad ass. I miss me some dbz.

Halo Infinity
02-02-2014, 09:27 PM
I know that there's already a few mentions of Team Four Star here and there, but I still think that it's worth plugging it in on this thread. I wasn't even aware that they even went as far as making their own Facebook and Twitter accounts. I've been following it again, and from what I'm aware of, they're currently up to the Androids Saga. Oh, and I just noticed that they even have an accounts on Tumblr and Google+.

http://teamfourstar.com/

http://www.youtube.com/TeamFourStar

https://www.facebook.com/teamfourstar

https://twitter.com/teamfourstar

http://officialteamfourstar.tumblr.com/

https://plus.google.com/103422330038958263667/posts

I would definitely like to also support the official release, but when I don't have the means, I'm just also glad to see that Team Four Star can certainly hold me over. It's both the hilarity and the accuracy of the parody that I like the most, and the voice acting for Vegeta and Bulma is very spot on.

-Edit-

I also came across TFSTwoSaiyans, AKA TFS Gaming on YouTube. It's Team Four Star using their voice impressions of Dragon Ball Z characters in video games.

http://www.youtube.com/TFSTwoSaiyans

henryeatscereal
02-09-2014, 10:16 PM
Ever wondered who was Goku's mom?

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/02/02-1/dragon-ball-creator-introduces-gokus-mother

Halo Infinity
02-23-2014, 12:39 AM
This thread needs more super sand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYa5aQb3YGE
I almost forgot to post the second part of that video in this thread entirely. OneyNG (http://www.youtube.com/user/OneyNG) hasn't made any follow-ups to it ever since, and I still think it's just as funny or even a little bit funnier than the first one based on the Vegeta Saga. I'm also very impressed with the millions upon millions of views that both videos have received.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pSmhZFbCy0

This one was based on the Frieza Saga, and well, the picture on the YouTube video would tell you that. Anyway, I hope you guys like it. I suppose I'd also quote it this way so that nobody can miss both videos in this thread on this page either. :p

@nemesiswontdie (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=692) @Sallos (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=776) @henryeatscereal (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1572) @Space Suicide (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=532)

aggroculture
03-13-2014, 10:56 PM
http://31.media.tumblr.com/e5f9892c13163b6e6729796128413dc8/tumblr_n1y58iAHtH1t8sdweo1_1280.jpg
http://24.media.tumblr.com/4d9cb125e898fee7e6d0049b2e658931/tumblr_n0hwv392Y91qjnhqgo1_500.jpg

Halo Infinity
03-23-2014, 11:33 PM
I know that I came across this Dragon Ball site late, but still I just thought that it was definitely worth sharing here. It's called Kanzenshuu, and they're also on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Google+.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/

(http://www.kanzenshuu.com/)https://www.facebook.com/daizex

https://twitter.com/kanzenshuu

http://www.youtube.com/user/kanzenshuu

https://plus.google.com/118197635374793340757/about

aggroculture
05-12-2014, 10:46 PM
OMG: http://neogohan.co.vu

henryeatscereal
05-12-2014, 11:01 PM
Bulma's boobs are amazing!

Space Suicide
06-09-2014, 12:23 AM
Anyone here have the DVD season sets of Dragon Ball? I have some questions about them.

Conan The Barbarian
06-09-2014, 12:24 AM
The blue boxes or the orange ones?

Space Suicide
06-09-2014, 12:33 AM
The blue boxes or the orange ones?

Dragon Ball, the blue ones.

Conan The Barbarian
06-09-2014, 12:33 AM
What about them?? Ask away

Space Suicide
06-09-2014, 12:37 AM
What about them?? Ask away

I hear the remastering and the actual quality of them are better than the DBZ orange season sets? True?

What comes in them? Size similar to DBZ seasons?

Conan The Barbarian
06-09-2014, 12:43 AM
I am one of those who like the orange boxes. I mean yea the cropping was misleading, but we are in an age of wide screen so whatever.

The db boxes are great. Still cropped. And since there are only 5 its stuffed with mad episodes.

I like Dragonball. But it gets really bad ass once king piccollo arrives.

nemesiswontdie
06-23-2014, 08:01 AM
Battle of Gods is coming to 350 select theaters in the US with English Dub. Here is the trailer in English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp60avoyT9k

Space Suicide
06-23-2014, 09:44 AM
Funny how the most powerful being they have ever faced is a fucking cat. Lame brained if you think about it.

Hopefully the film is good. However, watching that trailer made me miss the art styles of earlier seasons. From about Cell onwards the art style became sharper and more bold with the contour lines.

henryeatscereal
06-23-2014, 10:13 AM
...had to be posted:

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d6/c3/d7/d6c3d7b52d55df47ad7975ac707c798c.jpg

Self.Destructive.Pattern
06-24-2014, 05:20 PM
The trailer is so misleading. This movie was a HUGE disappointment.

Space Suicide
06-24-2014, 05:36 PM
The trailer is so misleading. This movie was a HUGE disappointment.

I think the movie is probably at least average to the worst DB Franchise Films. However, I am sure 100% that it is overhyped and overblown to be something awesome. Only reason i think its applauded as much as it has been is because its the first film in 17 years.

Conan The Barbarian
06-24-2014, 06:44 PM
Well that plus the fighting. The story sucks.

Space Suicide
04-28-2015, 01:07 PM
Besides Resurrection of F, this hit airwaves!

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2015/04/28/dragon-ball-scores-first-new-tv-anime-in-18-years/

nemesiswontdie
05-02-2015, 02:42 AM
I'm really excited to see what will happen in the new series. My complaint is that I read that it takes place immediately after the Buu saga, and if that's true, then that means that there is no SS God form yet, so we'll most likely just see Goku beat some ass in SS3 form instead of SSG.

On a slightly related note. I've gone back to collecting toys and last year in July I decided to get the 2014 SDCC exclusive repaint of scouter Vegeta and ever since getting that figure, I've been hooked on the whole line. These toys are fantastic. For the most part they are up to scale with one another, they pose great, and they all come with multiple facial expressions, a bunch of different hands, and some even come with blast effects parts and fan service accessories, like Vegeta coming with an extra hand that has a crushed scouter in it. Such a great line of toys, but pretty damn expensive too. Super Saiyan Vegeta figure goes for around $250+. So does future Trunks and SSJ3. A 2011 SDCC exclusive Goku figure recently sold on eBay for $650. Fucking insane. No way would I pay that much money for just a 6 inch toy. It's just cool to see how these toys go for crazy amounts of money in just a short time and they'll be getting more expensive because of the new movie and series coming out.
http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r672/nemesiswontdie3/20140804_102214_zps2c184d1b.jpg (http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/nemesiswontdie3/media/20140804_102214_zps2c184d1b.jpg.html)
http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r672/nemesiswontdie3/Mobile%20Uploads/20150430_124821_zpsxcwbancj.jpg (http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/nemesiswontdie3/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150430_124821_zpsxcwbancj.jpg.html)

Space Suicide
05-02-2015, 09:05 AM
Vegeta looks awesome! He has that color palette swap going on with that, which he had in initial appearances and on the Terror on Arlia episode. So cool.

I have the Irwin Toys Movie Collection figures. I've got Battle Damaged Goku, Cooler (my favorite), Meta Cooler, Lord Slug and Piccolo. I was never able to get Broly. It sucks! I've had the figures since they were released, which was about 2001 or so I believe? Long time!

thelastdisciple
05-02-2015, 01:25 PM
I had the sword wielding future Trunks in Super Saiyan form and a Krillin that had these spring loaded Ki Blasts in his arms and i had a bunch of those small micro machine sized figures.

Kinda wish i knew where all of that stuff disappeared to haha

I am actually very curious about the new "Super" show, hope it doesn't take too long for the English dub and i definitely hope they change it up a bit while still having it seem familiar, obviously nobody wants these characters powering up for 10 episodes and spending 30 eps to fight some dude lol

spiralout
05-02-2015, 01:38 PM
I'm hoping that in "Super", Vegeta does more than just live in Goku's shadow. At least have him reach SS3.

nemesiswontdie
05-02-2015, 09:44 PM
Vegeta looks awesome! He has that color palette swap going on with that, which he had in initial appearances and on the Terror on Arlia episode. So cool.

I have the Irwin Toys Movie Collection figures. I've got Battle Damaged Goku, Cooler (my favorite), Meta Cooler, Lord Slug and Piccolo. I was never able to get Broly. It sucks! I've had the figures since they were released, which was about 2001 or so I believe? Long time!

I love Arlian Vegeta. It's such a unique and ugly (so ugly that it's cool) color pallet that I just had to get it. I'm glad I got it right when he was released because he's hitting the $150+ range now. I never had any DBZ toys as a kid because honestly I wasn't really into DBZ that much as a kid. I was more of a Yu Yu Hakusho fan. So if I wanted to see a fight, I just waited for YYH to come on. When I got Arlian Vegeta I was surprised by how fucking awesome he was. My only complaint is how small he is. For some reason I was expecting him to be around the 7-8 inch range and in reality, he's literally as tall as a soda can, so I guess that's pretty accurate for his height lol.

I found found Broly and Krillin at a anime con I went to back in March and right when I saw them I just had to get 'em. Especially since both of them were going for great prices. The guy gave me a hook up and sold them both to me for $110, so I definitely can't complain as he gave me a better deal on an already great deal.
Broly is FUCKING HUGE compared to the rest of the DBZ line. I honestly hate Broly with a passion, but even I can't deny that his toy is the shit. It's honestly quite the feat to have such a massive figure have great posability.
Here's how tall he is compared to Krillin, Goku and Piccolo (I bought all of these at the con I went)
http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r672/nemesiswontdie3/20150315_132302_zpsckcg5gpo.jpg (http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/nemesiswontdie3/media/20150315_132302_zpsckcg5gpo.jpg.html)

I had the sword wielding future Trunks in Super Saiyan form and a Krillin that had these spring loaded Ki Blasts in his arms and i had a bunch of those small micro machine sized figures.

Kinda wish i knew where all of that stuff disappeared to haha

A few weeks ago I was hanging out at a friends house and they found a box in their garage that had a bunch of old school DBZ figures and a few manga issues. It was a friend of theirs that moved out but I guess he forgot about them. Seeing the old toys from the 90's made me realize how great the toys I have are. The older toys might have been great for back in the day, but holy shit they are down right awful now. Majority of them couldn't bend their elbows or knees and all of them had a 'duurrrrrr' face going on. However I do know that they are great for nostalgia purposes for people who had the toys back in the day.

http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r672/nemesiswontdie3/20150404_222339_zpsqqmcaaum.jpg (http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/nemesiswontdie3/media/20150404_222339_zpsqqmcaaum.jpg.html)

I wish there was a toy thread here but I'm probably the only person here who actively collects toys lol.

How do you guys feel about Frieza, Goku and Vegeta's forms? Like them? Hate them? I've seen a lot of people from different places complain about how they think they look stupid, but I quite dig the new looks.

Space Suicide
05-02-2015, 09:57 PM
I love Arlian Vegeta. It's such a unique and ugly (so ugly that it's cool) color pallet that I just had to get it. I'm glad I got it right when he was released because he's hitting the $150+ range now. I never had any DBZ toys as a kid because honestly I wasn't really into DBZ that much as a kid. I was more of a Yu Yu Hakusho fan. So if I wanted to see a fight, I just waited for YYH to come on. When I got Arlian Vegeta I was surprised by how fucking awesome he was. My only complaint is how small he is. For some reason I was expecting him to be around the 7-8 inch range and in reality, he's literally as tall as a soda can, so I guess that's pretty accurate for his height lol.

I wish there was a toy thread here but I'm probably the only person here who actively collects toys lol.

How do you guys feel about Frieza, Goku and Vegeta's forms? Like them? Hate them? I've seen a lot of people from different places complain about how they think they look stupid, but I quite dig the new looks.

I'm an idiot, I meant to say IF Labs not Irwin Toys. Here's Cooler and Lord Slug from those, if you're unfamiliar:

http://dbzot.it/wp-content/uploads/if_labs_movie/cooler_seconda_forma_action_figure.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMFg3NTA=/z/4JkAAOSwPhdU0Wnc/$_12.JPG?set_id=880000500F

As for the new forms, I'm indifferent. I like them but it seems like they just slapped some random shit together to say "Hey, new form!" "God Form" is just silly, still is to me. I like Frieza's form. I just wish they didn't shit on his character so much after his initial "defeat" as anything else makes him look like a loser to the Z Fighters now. This movie will redeem him but eh, a lot of damage was done. That Mecha Frieza before Androids/Garlic Jr. Sagas was a joke since they made Trunks look uber strong and Frieza look like a joke. If you can't tell, Frieza is my favorite character and villain on the show.

I collect toys. I have an 18" Eric Draven figure, full McFarlane Toy sets of AVP series 2, full sets of random Movie Maniacs figures and a set of Corpse Bride figures. If you made a thread, I'd post.

nemesiswontdie
05-02-2015, 10:17 PM
I'm an idiot, I meant to say IF Labs not Irwin Toys. Here's Cooler and Lord Slug from those, if you're unfamiliar:

http://dbzot.it/wp-content/uploads/if_labs_movie/cooler_seconda_forma_action_figure.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwMFg3NTA=/z/4JkAAOSwPhdU0Wnc/$_12.JPG?set_id=880000500F

As for the new forms, I'm indifferent. I like them but it seems like they just slapped some random shit together to say "Hey, new form!" "God Form" is just silly, still is to me. I like Frieza's form. I just wish they didn't shit on his character so much after his initial "defeat" as anything else makes him look like a loser to the Z Fighters now. This movie will redeem him but eh, a lot of damage was done. That Mecha Frieza before Androids/Garlic Jr. Sagas was a joke since they made Trunks look uber strong and Frieza look like a joke. If you can't tell, Frieza is my favorite character and villain on the show.

I collect toys. I have an 18" Eric Draven figure, full McFarlane Toy sets of AVP series 2, full sets of random Movie Maniacs figures and a set of Corpse Bride figures. If you made a thread, I'd post.

Oh wow, that Cooler figure looks really... cool (hurrrrr). I like how you can take off his face plate. Coolers design is how I think Frieza's new form should have looked. I like the gold and purple, but it doesn't scream evil and badass to me. As for Frieza in the series, they really did just take a fat crap all over his character. Trunks sliced him into pieces, but after that he came back for one second during the Great Saiyaman part of the series and literally got 1 hit killed by Gohan. I'm still not sure why they did that other than to show just how much powerful they all have become, but they could have done that some other way other than just to shit all over Frieza.

thelastdisciple
05-02-2015, 10:32 PM
nemesiswontdie

You are right about the derpy faces and disappointing lack of articulation..

I sure thought it was cool at the time though, i remember how stoked i was to get this figure. (not mine specifically just an ebay pic i found)

http://i.imgur.com/1zHqIbGl.jpg

nemesiswontdie
05-02-2015, 11:10 PM
@nemesiswontdie (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=692)

You are right about the derpy faces and disappointing lack of articulation..

I sure thought it was cool at the time though, i remember how stoked i was to get this figure. (not mine specifically just an ebay pic i found)

http://i.imgur.com/1zHqIbGl.jpg

Oh they were definitely great for the time, but toys have advanced quite a lot in the past 10+ years that those DBZ toys have been out, so they just look like they're bootlegs from China.

Piko
05-03-2015, 10:31 PM
In the middle of my dragonball phase, atm. Waiting on my Dragonball sets to come in. Not Z. DRAGONBALL! While I wait for those, i'm watchng GT, which I guess is definitely, 100%, officially non-canon now with the Super series coming and sweeping it under the rug. I don't care what anyone says, though, I like GT. Not as good as Z, obviously. But it's good. Wish there were more Super 17.

Never really watched Dragonball, so that's going to be almost completely new to me. I started with Z, then watched a majority of GT (which I started again from scratch). After I get the dragonball sets, i'll rewatch Z. Maybe even the movies. A bunch i've never even seen (Cooler, Broly 2 and 3, etc.).

Piko
05-12-2015, 01:30 PM
Started dragonball yesterday. Surprised on how adult it is compared to Z and GT. Lots of sexual undertones.

henryeatscereal
05-12-2015, 01:38 PM
Started dragonball yesterday. Surprised on how adult it is compared to Z and GT. Lots of sexual undertones.
"Dragon Ball" is the part i like i better: the show was funnier, it had lots of sexual innuendo and the stories were faster and less "complex", they lost lots of the original humor during "Z", "GT" brought it back but it was almost when it ended...

Piko
05-12-2015, 01:46 PM
GT definitely had it's moments. I don't remember anything like it in DBZ. Dragonball is full of it. Pretty good series so far though.

Space Suicide
05-12-2015, 02:30 PM
DragonBall rules. The entire series was a fun ride and I absolutely love the entire first 3 seasons. That entire Red Ribbon Army story arc is phenomenal and the characters in all of that series is an excellent show of diversity.

Krillin was also relevant!

henryeatscereal
05-13-2015, 12:04 PM
Krillin was also relevant!
Even Yamcha was relevant at first, lol...

I love Krillin, everyone makes fun of him because he always dies but let's not forget that the guy is human, he still gets into fights with Freezer and even the Androids, he's pure heart!

Piko
05-13-2015, 12:06 PM
Or Tien. Really loving this series. There's even middle fingers. I was way off on what to expect from it.

wight rabbit
05-13-2015, 12:43 PM
I've been watching the subtitled version of Dragon Ball as I want to experience it as unaltered as possible. After I get through this, I'm going to watch Dragon Ball Kai to get myself all caught up to the more recent releases.

Piko
05-13-2015, 12:53 PM
I picked up the remastered funimation sets (1-3). When I'm done with the series, I'm going to pick up and rewatch dbz (and movies).

Halo Infinity
05-13-2015, 02:25 PM
@Piko (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=358) @henryeatscereal (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1572) @Space Suicide (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=532) aggroculture - I haven't watched Dragon Ball in ages. I should eventually get a jump on that for my DVD collection, as I think I'd at least get the DVDs for Dragon Ball Z up to the Frieza Saga. I also had a lot of fond memories watching Dragon Ball when I was in high school.

This was also one of the most hilarious scenes of Dragon Ball in my opinion. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_zbylgxo9E

Oh, and from what I'm aware of Launch also uses her middle finger too. She was also one of my most favorite characters to watch on that show. I was even more surprised that Launch and Yamcha didn't become a couple.

Piko
05-13-2015, 03:01 PM
Launch seems to be the only character to not appear in some form in dbz. Still pretty new to the series. So, maybe its something i haven't gotten to yet. Even the mercenary (tao?) makes an appearance. Been awhile, but does Pilaf show up as well? I know he appears in GT. When I'm done with DB, I'm going to probably go the blu ray route for dbz.

Dragonball is definitely not for kids though. Can't say I've seen the uncut versions of dbz. But I doubt it even comes close. Lost track on how many times I've seen Goku's knob.

Presideo
05-13-2015, 04:53 PM
I have my doubts about a new Dragon Ball TV series. Toei has really plummeted in quality over the years, and has been green-lighting old franchises in hopes of cashing in on past success. The new Sailor Moon series, which was delayed for an entire year, has been embarrassingly underwhelming. A new Digimon series, expected to air this season, has also been delayed for half a year.

It's sad that Toei would resort to pilfering through their old works for quick money, especially considering that the anime industry usually doesn't rely on cheap nostalgia acts (at least not in the way Western media attempts to reboot everything in the history of ever.) I have my fingers crossed that they're actually putting resources into giving Dragon Ball a new series it deserves, but I'm skeptical they'll pull through.

wight rabbit
05-13-2015, 04:56 PM
I can't stand seeing the dubbed versions of character names after watching the subtitled version of the series... Krillin is actually Kuririn, Bulma is Buruma, Tien is Ten (or Tenshinhan, if you don't shorten it), and Launch is Lunch. I don't understand why they were changed for the dub...

Launch seems to be the only character to not appear in some form in dbz.

Akira mentioned that he actually forgot about her when he was writing the Dragon Ball Z part of the manga.

I have my doubts about a new Dragon Ball TV series. Toei has really plummeted in quality over the years, and has been green-lighting old franchises in hopes of cashing in on past success. The new Sailor Moon series, which was delayed for an entire year, has been embarrassingly underwhelming. A new Digimon series, expected to air this season, has also been delayed for half a year.

It's sad that Toei would resort to pilfering through their old works for quick money, especially considering that the anime industry usually doesn't rely on cheap nostalgia acts (at least not in the way Western media attempts to reboot everything in the history of ever.) I have my fingers crossed that they're actually putting resources into giving Dragon Ball a new series it deserves, but I'm skeptical they'll pull through.

It helps that Toriyama has been involved with all the recent releases. The fact that he's writing the story for the new series should make this worthwhile.

Piko
05-13-2015, 05:14 PM
I'm not worried as long as Toriyama is involved. I just hope people won't have a bitch fit because it's not based off manga. Found it kinda annoying how people refused to call GT canon because it wasn't based off manga. This one isn't either. Only a matter of time until someone bitches about that.

wight rabbit
05-13-2015, 05:19 PM
Wouldn't this and the recent movies be considered canon because Toriyama is deeply involved?

Piko
05-13-2015, 05:43 PM
You would think. But some people will complain either way. I considered GT canon (like it or not) until they announced the new series. But yeah, Battle of Gods and Resurrection of F are canon. New series takes place after F.

wight rabbit
05-13-2015, 06:01 PM
You would think. But some people will complain either way. I considered GT canon (like it or not) until they announced the new series. But yeah, Battle of Gods and Resurrection of F are canon. New series takes place after F.

Well, Toriyama had very little to do with GT, so I can understand why it wouldn't be considered canon by some. And I thought the new series takes place immediately after the events of the Buu saga?

Piko
05-13-2015, 08:01 PM
Well, Toriyama had very little to do with GT, so I can understand why it wouldn't be considered canon by some. And I thought the new series takes place immediately after the events of the Buu saga?

The two movies are after the buu saga, I think.

wight rabbit
05-13-2015, 09:42 PM
The two movies are after the buu saga, I think.

Right, but I was under the impression that the series would start immediately after the events of the Buu saga, and then start bringing in elements leading to the events of the movies.

Piko
05-13-2015, 09:45 PM
Haven't seen battle of Gods yet, but I don't think don't think Pan was born yet (from what i hear). So probably after the buu saga, but before the ending of dbz.

henryeatscereal
05-14-2015, 09:06 AM
I'm not worried as long as Toriyama is involved. I just hope people won't have a bitch fit because it's not based off manga. Found it kinda annoying how people refused to call GT canon because it wasn't based off manga. This one isn't either. Only a matter of time until someone bitches about that.
Well, i'm going to "bitch", lol...
I don't think continuing the series is necessary in any way, shape or form, i'm not against it, i just don't see the point (besides making money out of the franchise).
Of course i could be wrong, but i don't see why they need to tell another DB story again, i get it's "nostalgia" and fans will always be behind this franchise (much like it happened to Saint Seiya), i just don't care for another series.
I hate to sound "hipster" but i've also moved on to other animes like Evangelion, Cowboy Bebob or Gantz, so DB it's not my priority, it's a anime that holds lot's of great memories for me but i like it the way it was, still i'm happy that Toriyama is involved and i'm sure he'll make entertaining episodes, i just won't be watching.

:)

Space Suicide
05-14-2015, 11:27 AM
I like the nerding out and massive post counts in this thread recently.

I own Battle of the Gods on blu-ray and have yet to watch it. I should but haven't been invested time wise to do so.

I'm game for a series but I hope it's great with GOOD villains.

henryeatscereal
05-14-2015, 01:20 PM
BTW, i forgot to mention that i enjoyed GT and i don't care if it's considered "cannon", it's just the final saga the one that sucked (Never liked Omega Shenron), but all the other stuff was good, they even brought back my favorite incarnation of Goku (kid).

Piko
05-14-2015, 01:48 PM
Edit: oops

wight rabbit
05-14-2015, 05:27 PM
Eh, I'm sure you will come around. :) I think it is a nostalgia thing. I'm watching for sure.

Wrong person.

Piko
05-14-2015, 05:33 PM
Well, i'm going to "bitch", lol...
I don't think continuing the series is necessary in any way, shape or form, i'm not against it, i just don't see the point (besides making money out of the franchise).
Of course i could be wrong, but i don't see why they need to tell another DB story again, i get it's "nostalgia" and fans will always be behind this franchise (much like it happened to Saint Seiya), i just don't care for another series.
I hate to sound "hipster" but i've also moved on to other animes like Evangelion, Cowboy Bebob or Gantz, so DB it's not my priority, it's a anime that holds lot's of great memories for me but i like it the way it was, still i'm happy that Toriyama is involved and i'm sure he'll make entertaining episodes, i just won't be watching.

:)

I'm all for new episodes as long as they're good and don't shit all over their series' legacy. I'm going to watch as soon as I'm able to, subtitled or not. I have a feeling it'll be awhile until there's a north American release though..

Space Suicide
05-14-2015, 06:16 PM
I'm all for new episodes as long as they're good and don't shit all over their series' legacy. I'm going to watch as soon as I'm able to, subtitled or not. I have a feeling it'll be awhile until there's a north American release though..

Nah, Battle of the Gods seen NA release quick plus Resurrection of F will be quick as well I can tell.

Vic
05-15-2015, 10:41 AM
I love Dragon Ball Z, but I hated "Battle Of The Gods" and the new Freezer movie looks really bad too (I've read part of the comic and it has several inconsistencies), I hated the Saiyan God thing and the new blue haired saiyan looks like this (SPOILER):

https://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/5639465/il_fullxfull.249882264.jpg

Saiyans should always have dark hair (except hybrids like Trunks) and get the yellow/blond hair when they become super saiyans, that's it, change the hairstyle when they become stronger like Gohan did from SSJ1 to SSJ2 (didn't like eyebrowless SSJ3 tbh), maybe the new SSJ4 hair could be like the one from DBGT (which is not canonical) but yellowed/blonded, idk, I think that would be better than having SSJs changing their hair color with every new transformation. :mad:

Conan The Barbarian
05-15-2015, 11:32 AM
Well, out of all the movies they ever came out with, how many of them were actually good? I like about 5 of them. My favorite being Super Dragon Fist( the one with tapion)

Piko
05-15-2015, 01:16 PM
I've only seen the ones on tv. Heard good things about Android 13 though.

Conan The Barbarian
05-15-2015, 02:08 PM
I think they should have all aired on tv. If not, I recommend these.

1. Super Dragon fist- Awesome fighting, Awesome movie hero, addicting melody. And you see how Trunks gets his sword.
2. Cooler ( or in Japanese, Coola)- This one is two movies with the first one being the better one. Freiza's brother Cooler seeks revenge.
3. Broly- There are three movies, the first being the best, the second being why not, and the third just being upright awful. Go for the first two, and because Broly.
3. Android 13- Cool fighting and of course takes place during my favorite saga, the androids.
4. Fusion reborn- Its not that great, but gogeta.

Thats just speculating that you have seen dead zone, tree of might, and lord slug. Also if you havent, check out The history of Trunks and History of Bardock. Two awesome back stories.

Space Suicide
05-15-2015, 03:27 PM
My favorite films in order are:

The Dead Zone
Tree of Might (even though time frame and other stuff is super odd and doesn't make sense)
The World's Strongest
Cooler's Revenge
Broly, The Legendary Super Saiyan
Lord Slug

Piko
06-12-2015, 07:41 PM
Just bought season one or DBZ on blu ray. Guessing it's uncut/extended. A lot of stuff I've never seen before.

Space Suicide
06-12-2015, 10:49 PM
Just bought season one or DBZ on blu ray. Guessing it's uncut/extended. A lot of stuff I've never seen before.

Uncut, remastered by hand (from the original art cells), new framing to be in HD format and remixed audio. Good stuff.

Conan The Barbarian
06-13-2015, 01:52 AM
Are the blu rays truly uncensored? Like the blood shooting out of goku when he sacrificed himself to kill raditz? I only ask as it was taken out on the kai versions

Space Suicide
06-13-2015, 07:43 AM
Are the blu rays truly uncensored? Like the blood shooting out of goku when he sacrificed himself to kill raditz? I only ask as it was taken out on the kai versions

Yes, there's blood a'flowin'.

Piko
06-13-2015, 08:57 AM
Tons of new story elements ad well (probably on the uncut dvds as well. New to me). With all of the uncut scenes, etc., its a totally different experience now. I watched it back when it was on toonami, and that was it. They butchered it.

nemesiswontdie
06-13-2015, 05:45 PM
My friend who worked at Best Buy picked up all the seasons on blu ray and we watched season 1-7. On top of them being just good blu rays. It's got some killer menu themes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYoY-lNfJQ0

Piko
06-13-2015, 06:02 PM
Sadly, the best buy here only had seasons 1, 7-9.

Space Suicide
06-13-2015, 10:57 PM
My friend who worked at Best Buy picked up all the seasons on blu ray and we watched season 1-7. On top of them being just good blu rays. It's got some killer menu themes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYoY-lNfJQ0

I love the music on season 1. It's weird. I only own 1-3 but plan to get them all eventually. I've seen the show 17832728746 times so they're not tip top priority haha.

Sadly, the best buy here only had seasons 1, 7-9.

I have two stores less than an hour away. They usually seem to carry 3-9. Never the first two.

Space Suicide
06-13-2015, 10:57 PM
Double post sorry but this deserved its own post:

http://comicbook.com/2015/06/14/first-dragon-ball-super-teaser-trailer-released/

Piko
06-13-2015, 11:41 PM
In the audio options? What's the difference between the funimation dub and the US broadcast version? Is it just music? Or is there different dialogue. DB and GT have those options too.

Piko
07-04-2015, 08:28 PM
Man, I really hope some subs pop up for Super. Pretty sure the episode has aired in japan now. Hopefully someone will sub and upload it. Seems like no one one is simultcasting it, not even funimation.

edit:

I got it! Sadly, it seems like i'll have to watch it on my laptop. Video works well on my ps4 (media player), but the subtitles don't appear. Doesn't recognize the subtitles I guess. I my laptop does at least. Better than nothing. Here goes...

Conan The Barbarian
07-06-2015, 10:43 AM
http://kissanime.com/Anime/Dragon-Ball-Super/Episode-001?id=111869

You have to disable ad blockers for some reason or the video wont play, but its console friendly as you have the option to use html 5 player.

Its a pretty good start, it has everything a dragonball series is known for.

Piko
07-06-2015, 02:46 PM
Not a whole lot really happened. But I guess they need to re-establish the characters and everything. Blasphemy that there's no vegeta.

Conan The Barbarian
07-06-2015, 06:26 PM
He will be there next episode. Apparently on a family vacation. As for nothing happening, the series has always showed nearly zilch its first episodes.

Piko
07-06-2015, 06:41 PM
Yeah. Everything usually kicks off around the second episode. Hopefully. The episode wasn't bad by any means though. Just the typical "slice of live" type episode.

I'm beginning to wonder if Battle of Gods is canon though. You see a bit of Beerus. But, I wonder if it's connected. Especially, if Goku goes train with Kai. Maybe there's a time jump?

nemesiswontdie
07-06-2015, 06:42 PM
Sorry for the off topic post, I just don't want to triple post in the toy thread. Mods please feel free to delete this post or move it into the toy thread.

Would anyone be interested in buying my extra Goku figure? Sealed in box never been opened. I'm looking for $55 shipped.

He comes with 5 faces, 5 sets of hands (and 1 instant transmission hand) and a Kamehameha ball effect.
http://i1361.photobucket.com/albums/r672/nemesiswontdie3/Mobile%20Uploads/20150320_194508_zpsq2kfylwy.jpg

Space Suicide
07-06-2015, 07:22 PM
Yeah. Everything usually kicks off around the second episode. Hopefully. The episode wasn't bad by any means though. Just the typical "slice of live" type episode.

I'm beginning to wonder if Battle of Gods is canon though. You see a bit of Beerus. But, I wonder if it's connected. Especially, if Goku goes train with Kai. Maybe there's a time jump?

As far as I understand:

6 Years after Buu > Battle of the Gods > Resurrection of F > After ????

Piko
07-06-2015, 07:27 PM
The series, so far, is six months after the buu saga. I just have a strong feeling that it's going to contradict a lot of what happened in Battle of Gods (haven't seen F yet). The major contradiction is that the series is six months after the buu saga, but Beerus is out and about. If the movie were canon, he would be asleep for another few years. In the movie, they said he slept for 15 years. Doesn't seem like it in the series.

Space Suicide
07-06-2015, 07:28 PM
The series, so far, is six months after the buu saga. I just have a strong feeling that it's going to contradict a lot of what happened in Battle of Gods (haven't seen F yet). The major contradiction is that the series is six months after the buu saga, but Beerus is out and about. If the movie were canon, he would be asleep for another few years. In the movie, they said he slept for 15 years. Doesn't seem like it in the series.

Yeah, I don't know why I typed years for haha.

wight rabbit
07-07-2015, 12:02 PM
I look forward to catching the next episode since this one served mostly as a, "So, now that the Buu saga is done with, let's bring you up to speed on what everyone has been up to."

Piko
07-07-2015, 12:12 PM
And completely erasing the tournament ending with Pan from existence.

wight rabbit
07-08-2015, 05:31 PM
And completely erasing the tournament ending with Pan from existence.

Maybe she just wasn't shown in that episode? *Shrug*

Piko
07-08-2015, 05:35 PM
I don't remember how long after the buu saga that it was supposed to take place. I'm thinking four years? So yeah, maybe she wasn't born yet. But, if the movies are canon, she may be in the womb at least. Who knows? Dragonball canon is pretty sketchy as is.

wight rabbit
07-08-2015, 05:40 PM
I believe only a select number of the movies are canon. Some of them, like "The Dead Zone," contain multiple continuity errors with the series (and manga), so I don't think they're considered canon.

Piko
07-08-2015, 05:42 PM
I just assume they're all non canon at this point. Even the ones I haven't yet seen.

wight rabbit
07-08-2015, 06:26 PM
I think they're best considered side-stories that don't necessarily tie into the primary storyline.

Piko
07-08-2015, 07:28 PM
I think it will in someway though. The Beerus stuff will probably be redone for the series. Looking for a super saiyan god, etc.

wight rabbit
07-09-2015, 12:16 PM
I think it will in someway though. The Beerus stuff will probably be redone for the series. Looking for a super saiyan god, etc.

I think since Akira Toriyama was involved with both films they're considered canon. How he intends to tie them together is just something we'll have to find out.

Piko
07-09-2015, 01:36 PM
He wasn't involved in the other movies? I'm assuming they're not because of the obvious continuity issues.

wight rabbit
07-10-2015, 10:04 AM
Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akira_Toriyama#Anime) lists these under "Anime" in terms of Dragon Ball:

Dragon Ball (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_(anime)) (TV anime, 1986–1989) – original concept, based on the first half of his manga Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Z) (TV anime, 1989–1996) – original concept, based on the second half of Dragon Ball, title
Dragon Ball GT (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_GT) (TV anime, 1996–1997) – character designs, title and logo
Dragon Ball Kai (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Kai) (TV anime, 2009–2011, 2014–2015) – original concept, based on the second half of Dragon Ball.
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Z:_Battle_of_Gods) (2013 film) – original concept, screenplay and character designs
Dragon Ball Z: Fukkatsu no F (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Z:_Fukkatsu_no_F) (2015 film) – original concept, screenplay, character designs and title
Dragon Ball Super (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Super) (TV anime, 2015–present) – original concept, screenplay and character designs

No mention of the Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z movies, which would make sense because those stories weren't a part the manga.

Edit: Actually, this (http://www.kanzenshuu.com/production/toriyama/) might be more helpful.

Frozen Beach
07-10-2015, 02:50 PM
This is a timeline I have bookmarked. I have no idea how correct it is, despite the guy saying it's the "official order"
http://dragonballtimeline.webs.com/

wight rabbit
07-10-2015, 03:05 PM
This is a timeline I have bookmarked. I have no idea how correct it is, despite the guy saying it's the "official order"
http://dragonballtimeline.webs.com/

The continuity errors found in some of the movies lead to a bit of confusion, so a lot of these are pretty much in the closest points as possible to the main story.

Piko
07-10-2015, 03:39 PM
So basically, he wasn't as hands on as I had originally thought. Involved, but not too involved. He did create the source material though. But it seems like he just handled the manga and gave suggestions. Very interesting indeed. But, apparently did more for GT than I thought. I thought he just created the name, the logo, and ssj4 goku.

Piko
07-13-2015, 09:04 PM
Man, I wonder when the show is going to pick up. The episodes aren't bad. But, something needs to happen now. And it looks like they're going to do a re-telling of Battle of Gods. So I guess the movie is canon, sorta...

wight rabbit
07-14-2015, 09:26 AM
It definitely seems to be off to a slow start, but Beerus putting his focus on the Super Saiyan God seems to indicate he's going to start looking soon.

Space Suicide
07-14-2015, 11:31 AM
Am I still the only one who is unimpressed with God Form and the entire Super Saiyan God gimmick?

Piko
07-14-2015, 12:55 PM
Haven't got to see too much of SSG yet. So, I can't really say much.

wight rabbit
07-15-2015, 10:35 AM
How is it a gimmick? I just see it as a progression of Akira's original idea of powered states.

Space Suicide
07-15-2015, 01:39 PM
How is it a gimmick? I just see it as a progression of Akira's original idea of powered states.

God? Gimmicky to me, he's not a normal Saiyan who can transform he can transform to a SAIYAN GOD!

I don't know. I still haven't warmed up this idea or transformation. Maybe I just like Super Saiyan 4 too much.

Piko
07-15-2015, 02:14 PM
SS4 made no sense to me. A kid becoming a grown up on a whim. I never understood it.

wight rabbit
07-15-2015, 02:37 PM
God? Gimmicky to me, he's not a normal Saiyan who can transform he can transform to a SAIYAN GOD!

I don't know. I still haven't warmed up this idea or transformation. Maybe I just like Super Saiyan 4 too much.

I think it makes sense considering that Goku has always been different. Completely pure of heart, always striving to be at his best... If anyone could be a God, it could be him. Hell, Kami wanted him to take his place.

SS4 made no sense to me. A kid becoming a grown up on a whim. I never understood it.

It works for Shazam (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Marvel_(DC_Comics)#DC_Comics_revival:_Shaz am.21)! :P

Piko
07-15-2015, 02:51 PM
I think it makes sense considering that Goku has always been different. Completely pure of heart, always striving to be at his best... If anyone could be a God, it could be him. Hell, Kami wanted him to take his place.

It works for Shazam (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Marvel_(DC_Comics)#DC_Comics_revival:_Shaz am.21)! :P

That's way different, heh. I liked SS4. But it made no sense to me. Then again, alot of things in GT didn't make sense.

Presideo
07-16-2015, 05:53 PM
I'm enjoying the new start; lighthearted antics that slowly reintroduce all the characters. Still not fully convinced if this can live up to the heights of the previous series, but I'll keep my hopes up.

As for the plot of future episodes: Apparently, they'll reintroduce everything from Battle of the Gods and the Frieza film into this series. Of course, they'll stretch out the plot of the films in the process. They'll also change some of the settings (ex: Bulma's B-day party will occur on a cruise ship, not the Capsule Corp. grounds.) This will then lead to fully original content that will have the characters exploring unseen galaxies)

wight rabbit
07-17-2015, 11:48 AM
That's way different, heh. I liked SS4. But it made no sense to me. Then again, alot of things in GT didn't make sense.

Well, be happy it's not canon. :)

wight rabbit
07-20-2015, 01:56 PM
Looks like things are going to start getting serious in the next episode.

Shadaloo
08-08-2015, 03:11 PM
Watched Resurrection of F in theatres today and I'd strongly advise anyone who's a big Frieza fan to stay away. His whole comeback is lampshaded to hell and back, he never feels like a credible threat, just makes the same old mistakes, and the final fight is a massive letdown resolved by deus ex machina. Very disappointing.

Space Suicide
08-09-2015, 04:38 PM
Watched Resurrection of F in theatres today and I'd strongly advise anyone who's a big Frieza fan to stay away. His whole comeback is lampshaded to hell and back, he never feels like a credible threat, just makes the same old mistakes, and the final fight is a massive letdown resolved by deus ex machina. Very disappointing.

I'm the biggest Frieza fan. He is my favorite villain AND character and I already know they made him a jackass again. His character has been a consistent joke every since Goku "defeated" him on Namek. I didn't expect this film to give him redemption or bring back any sense of fear that he should instill. I still am interested in the film and to see him again regardless. I just hate how the creative team and writers like to take a giant dump on him at every turn.

If I had the ability to animate I'd make my own What If scenario where Frieza kills everyone on Namek after Goku fails to defeat him, even being Super Saiyan. Sadistic I know but sometimes villains should win even for fun.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
08-10-2015, 10:29 AM
The movie got me into watching the show all over again. After awhile though, I tend to skip over the silly parts with Bulma and Chichi just yelling for ten straight minutes. Man I forgot how annoying they are. But dam... The Ginyu Force cracks me up every time.

Space Suicide
08-10-2015, 02:20 PM
Also, if anyone is interested in mobile gaming (I'm not but this is an exception!) the latest DBZ game release, Dokkan Battle is on iOS and Android. It's in US/english now when it was only previously Japanese. It's a simple, super fun tap energy game. The game's HUGE and free. You don't have to spend a dime on it. You get character cards, level them up, fight, sacrifice, awaken cards and do lots of shit. I can't recommend it enough if you're a DB fan. Here's my cards and some screens of the game/menu itself if anyone is intrigued. Also, if someone wants to be my friend, let me know. I'll give my referral code!

SR Vegeta as my current leader

http://i57.tinypic.com/23kzztl.png

My cards (SR Vegeta, Zarbon, 18, 17 and Kid Goku are my best. I need to severely level Frieza)

http://i57.tinypic.com/11kck0w.png

The marvelous (and EXTREMELY hard to get FREE Mecha Frieza card from this week's current strike event. I must've played Hard Mode against him 17 or 18 times before I got him as a reward) Mecha Frieza. So badass.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2qk5i5z.png

thelastdisciple
08-10-2015, 02:33 PM
The things I'd do for a 16 bit DBZ side scrolling beat'em up.

TheyCallMeDrug
08-11-2015, 11:43 PM
So I'm going at watching the series from the beginning but I'm going the purist route of all Japanese episodes. I know most of Kai and I've seen some Buu Saga with subs and orig music.

I'm getting the first Dragon Ball episodes at the moment and just finished getting the complete Bibidi/Buu Sagas. Some of these remastered episodes are really impressive quality wise.

I think I'm gonna watch 2 arcs at the same time - from the very beginning and starting after the Cell Saga. Having weekly super episodes on the side will be nice too.

Space Suicide
08-12-2015, 09:27 AM
The things I'd do for a 16 bit DBZ side scrolling beat'em up.

The Legacy of Goku is a good beat 'em up type game. 16 bit due to Advance's graphics at the time. I loved that first game so freaking much. It was so much fun. If you don't have a Nintendo DS or a Gameboy Advance then download an emulator and play it. It's one of my favorite DBZ games.

Conan The Barbarian
08-13-2015, 12:28 PM
I agree, that whole trilogy of GBA games was fantastic.

Anyone else disappointing in the animation for super? Specifically for episode 5? Almost looked like a flash animation episode.

Space Suicide
08-16-2015, 11:37 PM
New avatar and idiotic sub title. :p

Anyone see the reference?

Wolfkiller
08-17-2015, 12:06 AM
I like that even your username kinda makes reference to the movie :D

Presideo
08-25-2015, 05:04 PM
Anyone else disappointing in the animation for super? Specifically for episode 5? Almost looked like a flash animation episode.
Yeah, the animation for the altercation between Beerus and Goku was downright pitiful - off-model key animation, shoddy to nonexistent in-between animation. Even the overall choreography of the fight was executed horribly, which is inexcusable considering the director and animators had the movie's animation of the same exact scene to use as a reference point. I assumed that Toei would skimp on the budget here and there, but there's no reason for them to do it this early in the series.

Conan The Barbarian
08-25-2015, 05:32 PM
Last two episodes were great, improvement on the animation but not by much.

Besides Goku's first super saiyan transformation, I feel that vegeta has all the badass transformations sequences. I mean, he looks like he is about to reach level 3 right before it ends.

After reading this, its astonishing to me that I am married and not a virgin.

Space Suicide
08-26-2015, 04:03 PM
Resurrection F to hit stores on DVD and Blu-ray on October 20th!

http://d.christiantoday.com/en/full/35309/dragon-ball-z-resurrection-f.jpg?w=503&h=700&l=50&t=40

Piko
08-26-2015, 04:14 PM
Does it even matter at this point? They are going to probably redo it for the series anyway.

Space Suicide
10-20-2015, 11:35 AM
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/12118711_10206944323958463_624334222876939441_n.jp g?oh=6a2e3de6692d6d6a6b0940b74236b20c&oe=568E3026

Mine, you peasants.

Piko
10-20-2015, 12:57 PM
Movie was alright. One big plot hole though. Hopefully they fix it in Super.

Space Suicide
10-20-2015, 01:57 PM
movie was alright. One big plot hole though. Hopefully they fix it in super.

but frieza

Piko
10-20-2015, 03:22 PM
Not sure how I feel about the new voice actor. Movie isn't bad. About an hour and a half. Just wish they would've filled in some gaps. Instead, they do something without any explanation. Trying to be spoiler free.

Conan The Barbarian
10-20-2015, 04:09 PM
I have yet to watch Ressurestion F as I think I will check it out once it goes through its Super arc. I think my beef with Super besides kinda half assed animation is the fact that I have seen all this already. I still watch it as my love for DBZ is always huge, but I cant deny that this series so far is just better than GT and no where near Db and DBZ.

Also, this anime really needs to let these other characters have their moments. This better not be the vegeta and goku show, where Vegeta gets his ass handed and then Goku comes in for the cleanup. I need some piccolo and Gohan destruction.

Piko
10-20-2015, 04:37 PM
I get the feeling that's what's going to happen. I really thought they would redeem Gohan after GT. That doesn't seem to be the case. Piccolo gets some action in the new movie (likely the series as well, hopefully).

Here's my gripe about the movie. Spoilers, but nothing that really ruins anything.

they just turn into the blue super saiyan without any kind of explanation . Like, how did they get the new forms? Wish there was some sort of explanation of how they achieved them, instead of just doing it. Big plot hole, imo

Space Suicide
10-20-2015, 04:51 PM
Not sure how I feel about the new voice actor. Movie isn't bad. About an hour and a half. Just wish they would've filled in some gaps. Instead, they do something without any explanation. Trying to be spoiler free.

Ayres isn't bad but I prefer Linda Young more, no I don't have nostalgia glasses on either.

Space Suicide
10-22-2015, 06:11 PM
http://kotaku.com/dragon-balls-most-ridiculous-super-saiyan-form-gets-a-n-1737985192?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan is now dubbed...

Super Saiyan Blue

Piko
10-22-2015, 07:26 PM
http://kotaku.com/dragon-balls-most-ridiculous-super-saiyan-form-gets-a-n-1737985192?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan is now dubbed...

Super Saiyan Blue

Egh.. Might as well have gone with SSG, since that's what it really is. The red hair being the imperfect/transitional form, while the blue one is the actual SSG that will likely replace the other forms.

Space Suicide
02-19-2016, 07:04 PM
So, I've been rewatching shit. Holy shit, I never realized how much I loved and admire the History of Trunks TV film. Moreso now than I ever did. It's so well done in pacing and a unique, dark look at the doomed what-if future we see very little of in DBZ. I hear little talk of it in most circles. It's probably my favorite film besides the Tree of Might. Just thought I'd randomly post. Any fans of it? If you hadn't seen (it's a lesser known, watched film) I recommend it highly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_PvGv3dCMY

sick among the pure
02-19-2016, 07:18 PM
So, I've been rewatching shit. Holy shit, I never realized how much I loved and admire the History of Trunks TV film. Moreso now than I ever did. It's so well done in pacing and a unique, dark look at the doomed what-if future we see very little of in DBZ. I hear little talk of it in most circles. It's probably my favorite film besides the Tree of Might. Just thought I'd randomly post. Any fans of it? If you hadn't seen (it's a lesser known, watched film) I recommend it highly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_PvGv3dCMY

Naw, I would place it above Tree of Might (though I did love that one). History of Trunks is imo #1, followed closely by Bardock (because I loved getting some more backstory/lore of the saiyajin race).

Space Suicide
02-19-2016, 07:25 PM
Naw, I would place it above Tree of Might (though I did love that one). History of Trunks is imo #1, followed closely by Bardock (because I loved getting some more backstory/lore of the saiyajin race).

It's all personal preference really. I just really enjoy Tree of Might's story aesthetics and time frame. I also think Turles is awesome as a villain.

I love History of Trunks as it's the only moment in Dragon Ball Z history where I felt emotionally upset at a scene present: when Trunks is questioning and talking over a dead Gohan in the rain as he finally becomes super saiyan is a heartstring tugging moment.

Shadaloo
02-22-2016, 11:05 AM
Bardock and History of Trunks are by far superior to the vast array of DBZ movies. As to those, I'd put Tree of Might, Cooler's Revenge, and Fusion Reborn as my top three.

I also have a bit of love for Return Of Cooler despite how much of it is supremely silly. When they finally take Metal Cooler apart, have a small moment of victory, and then another shows up, and another, and another and another....and they STILL get up, knowing there's no way they can win, but face it with a smile...that's one of my absolute favorite DBZ moments ever. Perfectly captures the spirit.

Bachy
08-14-2016, 05:10 PM
I've been rewatching a lot of clips lately. Goddamn, the moment Vegeta sacrifices himself to try to defeat Majin Buu always gets to me.

Shadaloo
10-25-2016, 02:28 PM
I've put it off forever, but I'm going through Super right now, bit by bit. I actually really like what I've seen so far; the managed to re-inject a lot of the lightheartedness and comedic tone of the original DB series into the Beerus episodes (never saw Battle Of The Gods). I'm about to start the Freeza resurrection eps now; hoping they're better than the film was. Hearing great things about the current 'Goku Black' arc inspired me to catch up.

Piko
10-25-2016, 04:45 PM
Imo, they're much better than the movies. They make some pretty cool changes as well. Really enjoying Super. Gonna be a bummer when it ends.

Black saga is pretty cool as well. Kinda confusing though.

thelastdisciple
10-25-2016, 05:27 PM
Still waiting for the dub (i don't want to hear it)

Piko
10-26-2016, 10:17 PM
I have a feeling it'll happen sooner than later at this point, considering it finally got licensed in the states. Plus, funimation is now in a partnership with crunchyroll. So that might help some.

wight rabbit
11-15-2016, 07:32 PM
Sunday's episode of Super was, in my opinion, the best in the series thus far. Anyone else catch it?

Still waiting for the dub (i don't want to hear it)

I don't either. ;)

Piko
11-16-2016, 12:07 AM
Last ep was pretty awesome. Wonder what's next.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Shadaloo
11-17-2016, 11:08 AM
nemesiswontdie, you still got that Goku figure?

Catching up on Super at the same time I introduce myself to Kai for the first time, and loving both. The censorship in Kai sucks, but the accurate dubbing and removal of all of that filler crap more than makes up for that, for me - this is coming from someone who read the manga over and over religiously before the show ever made its debut in the US, mind.

Piko
11-17-2016, 01:15 PM
I'm curious to check out kai at some point. But I dunno...

nemesiswontdie
11-18-2016, 05:15 PM
@nemesiswontdie (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=692), you still got that Goku figure?

Nah, sorry dude, I don't. I sold it not too long after posting it. Needed the money to help fund for the SDCC exclusive that year...Another Goku figure lol.

Shadaloo
11-18-2016, 05:21 PM
lol, no worries. It's better this way for me, really. Trust me, I know this collecting disease all too well. :D

Space Suicide
11-18-2016, 05:51 PM
I'm curious to check out kai at some point. But I dunno...

It's crap, save your time. They cut battles down to key points (which is good sometimes) and get rid of pretty much anything that has nothing to do with the story. The power up episodes where shit happens for 2 episodes is gone, which as much as I love Frieza and his saga, the fact they got rid of all the bloated useless shit is sometimes good.

I'm not a fan of the music or dub. I repeat, save your time.

Im waiting for dubs of Super as well but I have been following Universe 7 and this Future story.

Shadaloo
11-18-2016, 11:43 PM
Again, this is coming from someone who read the manga first, but I found the original anime a very, very tedious watch, probably worsened due to that fact. Those key points are just the way the fights were originally depicted before the anime had to pad them out so Toriyama could get more chapters out and give them more to work with; episodes and episodes of pointless detours (fake Namek, space orphans), crap where nothing happens, or fights being padded out artificially..that stuff being gone is nothing but a good thing to me. I remember first seeing the moment where Goku literally slaps Frieza 's head around side to side and just wondering what the hell they were thinking. From memory the only major loss is probably the driving episode, which was just fantastic.

The dub is also extremely accurate to the original script, for what that's worth, and I think the performances are way better with the VA's having years' worth of experience under their belts by this point. All that stuff like Yamcha's cat food jingle, Frieza "talking in his native language"...Funimation really did just pull a ton of stuff out of their ass at times, and though I actively enjoy the zany stuff they come up with for what it is - one could argue it even added character at points - it really had no business being there.

Music's always subjective, but the score used is Z's original by Shunsuki Kikuchi on all the season Blu-Ray sets, Bruce Faulconer's American score is gone. The original televised airing of Kai used music by Kenji Yamamoto for the first 98 episodes, but it came to public knowledge that the guy had spent his entire 20+ year-long career on the series ripping other artists off (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0y5B7AMP1g) (fuck yeah, MK movie soundtrack) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmhthQnGNH8). He got fired once they found out about the Avatar score (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go5FxZdyO80) from what I remember, and all his music was removed when Kai's Blu-Rays were released.

I think a lot of it depends on how attached one was to the series as it was when it aired in the 90's, whether you prefer the comic or the show. I can certainly see how some would see this as a butchered version of the show they remember, but for me, this is just the way things should have always been.

Minus the censorship, of course. It's not perfect; some of the newly animated parts stick out like a sore thumb, and the new opening and closing theme songs are hot garbage. But those are my only real gripes.

I'm also loving the fuck out of DBZ Abridged right now. I'm late to the party; it's preventing me from catching up with Super.

Piko
11-19-2016, 12:37 AM
I may still give it a shot at some point. No rush. Slowly rewatching the series anyway (cell saga). I am curious to see Kai though. It'll be awhile before I even consider getting to it.

Mmmm Pork!

Self.Destructive.Pattern
12-05-2016, 09:16 PM
Man... I love this franchise, but Super has to be average to just bad at best. Still liking the animations here, but the story is just soooo stupiddddd. It's been there done that... same stakes, just different characters. The battle with Goku and Beerus was awesome, but other than that, it falls very flat for me. It would be nice to see someone else saving the day at the end besides Goku. The reliance of Goku saving the day allll the time is just tiresome at this point. It's nice that we actually are getting some new Dragonball, but man... the filler episodes are really hard to get through.

Piko
12-05-2016, 10:35 PM
I'm probably going to start skipping the filler. Or at least wait until something meaning happens.

henryeatscereal
12-06-2016, 08:57 AM
That's the main reason i ended up staying away from the new Dragon Ball series (and most anime); the f'n filler...
I tried to watch Naruto and it's even worse, they have LOTS of filler, but DB invented it on the "5 minutes until namek explodes saga".
Cell's saga got even more and Majin Buu saga is just ridiculous, at that point i was done with DB.

I also found this video, i thought it was hilarious that someone did this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBO4fuHY39k

Shadaloo
12-06-2016, 11:41 AM
It should be considered that in Super's case, the anime is being produced first, with the Toyotaro manga actually following after. So..I couldn't really call anything filler in this case, though the parallels between the lighter episodes between bigger Super arcs absolutely can feel like the old filler eps. The whole thing really is "The story of Super", though.

I just finished the Universe 6 Tournament arc and I'm mostly enjoying it so far. I appreciated the spin on events with Goku actually losing to Beerus and the outcome of the Hit fight. Goku losing and learning from it hasn't really been a thing since the tournaments in the original DB series; I'm glad they're going out of their way to reintroduce some of that atmosphere (down to a new Dr. Slump crossover, so I hear). And there's an ep coming soon where Champa challenges the guys to a baseball game. Yamcha's involved and I can't wait to see this.

Space Suicide
12-11-2016, 10:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqIzjLPL7Sg

Piko
12-11-2016, 10:20 PM
I'm probably going to skip the baseball episode. Three filler in a row is kinda much. And they had better not change any of the music in the dub. None of it.

theburningreptile
12-11-2016, 10:24 PM
My girlfriend got me the Dragon Ball GT series on DVD. I'm so hyped. It'll be the first time I've seen every episode. :D

Piko
12-11-2016, 11:20 PM
I don't care what some say. GT isn't that bad.

Shadaloo
12-12-2016, 01:20 AM
It isn't as bad as a lot of people make it out to be.

Half the Baby saga is boring as hell though, and the whole Super 17 concept was incredibly dumb.

Wolfkiller
12-12-2016, 06:18 AM
I'm probably going to skip the baseball episode. Three filler in a row is kinda much. And they had better not change any of the music in the dub. None of it.

You're doing yourself a disservice skipping that if you consider yourself a fan of the franchise. I was laughing so fucking hard during the entire episode.

Piko
12-12-2016, 09:01 AM
Alright. I'll probably wait until the weekend though.

Shadaloo
12-14-2016, 10:48 AM
Character spoilers for upcoming arc (http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/12/14/dragon-ball-super-heroes-do-a-dramatic-slow-walk-towards-space-survival-anime-arc)

Holy fucking shit. :D

Shadaloo
06-20-2017, 12:25 PM
Necrobump out of nowhere, but I just want to say that recent episodes of this show have been as good as gold to a lot of old cast favorites; I'm really enjoying how they've taken the time to make characters like Krillin, Android 17, Roshi and Tien relevant to the plot again, making a fighter out of Gohan once more, and what's more, actually exploring their characters. The episodes where Krillin dealt with his trauma of being killed twice were just what I always wanted.

And I'm really appreciating that this arc is kind of dissecting the naive, dangeous side of Goku's personality and his desire to have the best fights possible at any cost, being seen as the bad guy by other universe reps is a great, thoughtful touch.

And fuck yeah, Frieza's back again. :D

Haysey_Draws
06-21-2017, 03:07 AM
Now Supers on Chrunchyroll i keep meaning to catch up...SO.MUCH.ANIME.TO.WATCH.SO.LITTLE.TIME!

Piko
06-22-2017, 02:06 PM
I just caught up on my DBS. Kinda weird how they keep being Frieza back. Not hating on it though.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
01-17-2019, 01:29 PM
Just saw Broly last night... if you're a fan of this series or just an here and there fan GO SEE THIS MOVIE. The background you get on Planet Vegeta was pretty cool seeing Bardock and Gine interact and a brief showing of some young Saiyans we met in earlier seasons that is hilarious. I really liked how they handled Broly with him not just being this one-dimensional character; you actually care about him and what he went through. The visuals are fucking amazing and the battle lasts about almost an hour, so get ready of some in-your-face/mouth dropping moments. You can tell this movie was made with love.

Haysey_Draws
01-18-2019, 02:34 AM
I've had my ticket booked for months (UK not getting it til next week!) but i'm all kinds of EXCITED for this!

thelastdisciple
01-18-2019, 04:33 AM
I'm still watching the dub so we're just getting to Frieza joining up with the 7th universe fighters for the tournament but it looks like they introduced a female Broly from the other universe so the timing with this Broly movie opening this month is pretty wild!

I def want to see it but I'm nowhere near anywhere that'll be showing it that I'm aware of. :(

Piko
01-18-2019, 04:07 PM
I've been watching the dub. Just finished the Zamasu arc. Now the filler eps... Then I wait for the next blu ray.

versusreality
01-21-2019, 07:06 PM
Saw Broly last night. My girlfriend wanted to see it, she's a huge fan, so she's the one who actually brought us the tickets. She's seen pretty much every series in both English and Japanese. I haven't watched DBZ in about 20 years. I was "over it" in my mind.

Well, having not see any DB stuff in that long, I was very impressed with the movie! Really sent me in for a kick of watching a bunch of vids on youtube today. Think I'm gonna go back and watch the Z series, but Kai. I'm curious to see the flow of it without the filler, the voice acting etc.

Rubeninphoenix
01-21-2019, 07:57 PM
Broly was cool.

Piko
01-21-2019, 08:21 PM
I've seen the saiyan saga of Kai. A lot better than I was anticipating. I'm holding off on the rest though. I want to finish my rewatch of original z (cell games) first before I continue Kai

Jon
02-23-2019, 02:38 AM
Okay, I think I might have a slight addiction. I was checking/rearranging some old external HDDs, and it appears my DBZ folder is 2.5 TB (just Z). I haven't even done anything with the Blu-ray's or movies yet:

Atsumare! Goku Warudo = 15 GB
CD-Audio = 37 GB
Dragon Box (Multi) = 410 GB
Dragon Box (R2 ISO) = 389 GB
Dragon Box (R1 ISO) = 302 GB
Funimation DVD5's (R1 ISO) = 320 GB (original single-disc, volumetric releases)
Laserdisc Audio = 8 GB
Manga, Tankobon, etc. = 20 GB
Miscellaneous = 150 GB (scans, assorted audio dupes in lossy, self-made "mobile friendly" encodes)
Original Broadcast Audio = 400 GB (32/96 WAV)
Original Broadcast Video = 340 GB
Summer Vacation Special = 31 GB

I'm looking at roughly 1.2 - 1.85 TB to back up the Blu-ray's (I haven't checked to see how full each disc is). Also, I am pretty much clueless with the movies; is it necessary to get versions from multiple regions because of censored content (for all of them)?

versusreality
02-24-2019, 05:20 AM
since my last post in this thread...

I've purchased the entire Dragon Ball series, seasons 1-5. I finished season 1. Man, I love it. I had only seen a few episodes of the original series as a kid in the 90s. Roshi is a perv, Goku is clueless (peeing in public as if it's nothing! ) , Bulma giving people the finger lol...totally different from Z, and I love it.

I also purchased Kai season 1, but it'll be a while before I get to that.

Yeah, I'm totally hooked. I'm going into it with as much of a clean slate as possible.

Conan The Barbarian
02-24-2019, 06:16 PM
Okay, I think I might have a slight addiction. I was checking/rearranging some old external HDDs, and it appears my DBZ folder is 2.5 TB (just Z). I haven't even done anything with the Blu-ray's or movies yet:

Atsumare! Goku Warudo = 15 GB
CD-Audio = 37 GB
Dragon Box (Multi) = 410 GB
Dragon Box (R2 ISO) = 389 GB
Dragon Box (R1 ISO) = 302 GB
Funimation DVD5's (R1 ISO) = 320 GB (original single-disc, volumetric releases)
Laserdisc Audio = 8 GB
Manga, Tankobon, etc. = 20 GB
Miscellaneous = 150 GB (scans, assorted audio dupes in lossy, self-made "mobile friendly" encodes)
Original Broadcast Audio = 400 GB (32/96 WAV)
Original Broadcast Video = 340 GB
Summer Vacation Special = 31 GB

I'm looking at roughly 1.2 - 1.85 TB to back up the Blu-ray's (I haven't checked to see how full each disc is). Also, I am pretty much clueless with the movies; is it necessary to get versions from multiple regions because of censored content (for all of them)?

Man, I would kill to have those dragon boxes.

Haysey_Draws
02-25-2019, 02:28 AM
I really enjoyed Super (and the new movie, man that was awesome!) The Manga is finally ahead of it now as well and it's getting interesting!

versusreality
03-02-2019, 04:02 PM
there will be a blu ray box set release for the 30th anniversary of DBZ- with new bonus features, 4:3 aspect ratio, a hardcover book and a figure. no release date or price yet.

this news comes, of course, the day all my seasons of Kai arrive on blu ray..sigh. oh well.

Jon
04-13-2019, 11:41 PM
there will be a blu ray box set release for the 30th anniversary of DBZ- with new bonus features, 4:3 aspect ratio, a hardcover book and a figure. no release date or price yet.

More than half-way sold out! $350 is an amazing price for this set. Japan Dragon Boxes were around $1100 a piece ($2200), and the US Dragon Boxes were $70 each ($490).

https://i.imgur.com/CnBhtau.png

Frozen Beach
04-14-2019, 01:46 AM
Apparently all this set is the remastering from the orange box sets uncropped. So the terrible DNR is still there. No thanks.

Jon
04-16-2019, 01:56 PM
Apparently all this set is the remastering from the orange box sets uncropped. So the terrible DNR is still there. No thanks.

Well, if that doesn't interest you, perhaps you'd like Dragon Ball Super: Broly with an unnecessary green tint, shitty subtitles, and dynamic issues on the English audio track? FFS.

Shadaloo
04-19-2019, 12:03 PM
I've got all but two of the yellow dragon box DVD sets, and I keep mulling over whether to try to sell them for ridiculous sums of money or one day try and fucking complete the set because they're plainly never going to do it right ever again. Decisions, decisions....