PDA

View Full Version : Blame Canada, eh?

ManBurning
11-25-2011, 12:59 AM
Just resurrecting this thread for the future, as this was another one of topics I would frequent quite often on the old board.

Where are all my Canadian homies at?

We did not celebrate Thanksgiving today, as ours is in October. Always found it strange they the US and Canada have seperate Thanksgivings.

pequena
11-25-2011, 01:10 AM
Always with the blaming of the Canadians, eh?

Well, I suppose whatever makes them happy :p

ManBurning
11-26-2011, 02:57 AM
Well, we are the country that would riot after losing a hockey game after all, haha. *rolls eyes*

Gewalt Warten
11-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Good to see Canada has put down a flag on this site already. How's it goin eh?

Fixer808
11-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Well, we are the country that would riot after losing a hockey game after all, haha. *rolls eyes*
It's Vancouver, we don't even need that amount of an excuse to riot. All it takes is Axl Rose being pissy and cancelling a show to get us going.

ManBurning
11-27-2011, 10:01 PM
It's Vancouver, we don't even need that amount of an excuse to riot. All it takes is Axl Rose being pissy and cancelling a show to get us going.

Well, he's coming to town again with his travelling circus in a few weeks. Hopefully history doesn't repeat itself again on this event and he actually shows his washed up ass this time.

marodi
01-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Hello

My name is marodi and I'm an addict. My drug of predilection is called "Tim Horton's coffee".

I love that stuff. It is possible that my taste buds are defective because to me, that coffee is the best thing in the whole world.

Yeah.

Timinator
01-05-2012, 01:41 AM
It's so weird, the Tim Horton's thing. It's absolute shit coffee, made drinkable only by the fact that workplace drip coffee in North America is usually even more dire. I was the same my whole life there, a large double-double man. At least until Starbucks hit.

But once you've been someplace where they make really good coffee there's no going back. I can't stand the thought of Tim's now.

botley
01-05-2012, 01:45 AM
Tim Horton's is good for one thing only, and that is the 60-minute grace period after McDonald's stops serving breakfast when they still serve breakfast.

thelastdisciple
01-05-2012, 05:28 AM
"May i say Timmies whatever nicotine, MSG, coconut oil concoction you're spiking that industrial strength rot-gut........... BRING IT ON! 'cause the hit from a mitt full peyote buttons blessed by time-travelin' shamans has nothing on that righteous kick in the ass coming your way after a tumbler of Tim Horton's shape shifting rocket fuel"

Ron James said it best.

Oh yeah and you gotta love this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIKYfPwfGL8

Warped_Savant
01-05-2012, 10:47 PM
But you have to admit, the amount of people that turned out for the clean up the day after the last riot was pretty impressive.

Plus, one of my buddies got some amazing photographs of downtown during the riot.

october_midnight
01-05-2012, 11:32 PM
I spent 4 hours the next day cleaning up on Granville. The whole day was surreal to see everything that happened. Ugh...so embarrassing.

october_midnight
01-26-2012, 06:01 PM
For those in the area, you'll probably remember this from a few years back. Well, it might have happened again.

Another possible human foot washes up on shore in Vancouver. (http://www.straight.com/article-593596/vancouver/possible-human-foot-washes-english-bay-vancouver)

Fixer808
01-26-2012, 06:16 PM
Are they looking for multiple suspects, or a sole killer?

october_midnight
01-26-2012, 06:20 PM
Whoever it is, he's now the VPD's arch enemy.

marodi
01-26-2012, 06:23 PM
I'm on the other side of the country and I remember. Goddamn feet!

And if I remember correctly, I think there is a theory that says that those feet may not belong to murder victims but that they may be remains of people who drowned and/or were in boat accidents.

But if it is the work of a killer, you can rule me out!

october_midnight
01-26-2012, 06:25 PM
TRUST NO ONE.... from quebec.

marodi
01-26-2012, 06:29 PM
OH SNAP! We're busy preparing for the Carnaval de Québec right now, which starts tomorrow. We will also have a snow storm tomorrow (up to 30 cm) but that won't keep us away from the caribou (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribou_(drink))!

october_midnight
01-26-2012, 06:35 PM
We got our annual week of snow before the rain got rid of it. Speaking of the Carnaval de Quebec, I've always heard good things about it. If I ever decide to trek out East, MTL is definitely first on my list of places to go. Waaaaay before anywhere in Onterrible.

ltrandazzo
01-26-2012, 06:43 PM
are they looking for multiple suspects, or a sole killer?

Ha! IMPRESSIVE SIR!

marodi
01-26-2012, 06:47 PM
We got our annual week of snow before the rain got rid of it. Speaking of the Carnaval de Quebec, I've always heard good things about it. If I ever decide to trek out East, Quebec City is definitely first on my list of places to go. Waaaaay before anywhere in Onterrible.

Fixed. I'll save you some caribou then.

october_midnight
01-26-2012, 06:51 PM
I'm a vegetarian, but if you all have tofaribou...I'm down.

Fixer808
01-26-2012, 06:54 PM
I'm a vegetarian, but if you all have tofaribou...I'm down.
Carifaux...?

october_midnight
01-26-2012, 07:47 PM
For those in the area, you'll probably remember this from a few years back. Well, it might have happened again.

Another possible human foot washes up on shore in Vancouver. (http://www.straight.com/article-593596/vancouver/possible-human-foot-washes-english-bay-vancouver)

Remains officially not human. BORING.

marodi
01-26-2012, 07:50 PM
o_c: I think you're safe with the caribou. It's a drink made of red wine, whisky and maple syrup (or sugar; I like the sugar better since I can't stand maple syrup).

It's pretty much like Buckley's Mixture: the taste of it is vile but it get the job done!

edit: BORING INDEED. Let's read about the cat who delayed a flight for hours in Halifax (http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Frightened+feline+goes+free+causes+flight+delay/6054346/story.html) instead.

Timinator
01-26-2012, 10:29 PM
i can't stand maple syrup.What?!?

Out of this thread now!

ManBurning
01-27-2012, 01:16 AM
We got our annual week of snow before the rain got rid of it.

And thank god! I don't know about you, but I certainly didn't move here for snow and sub-sero temps!

edit: BORING INDEED. Let's read about the cat who delayed a flight for hours in Halifax (http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Frightened+feline+goes+free+causes+flight+delay/6054346/story.html)instead.

That was awesome! crazy cat.

mfte
01-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Here s afunny look at the insane real estate prices in Toronto.

http://fmlistings.tumblr.com/

thelastdisciple
01-30-2012, 06:29 PM
And thank god! I don't know about you, but I certainly didn't move here for snow and sub-sero temps!
Starting to relate with the lack of Snow Vancouver gets as it has been very sparse here in Calgary, the weather is very Spring-like at the moment usually we have about 25-30cm and it being like -30 with wind chill. In the last couple of months, even back to late November we have been getting some crazy winds at about 100-110km/h, actually I've lived here for 10 years now and have never experienced wind like we've had... it's enough to up root trees and rip siding and shingles from houses, flip over semis on the highway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHJk_tbyDKI

Fixer808
01-30-2012, 06:37 PM
I like a good windstorm as much as the next person, but that's nuts!

theruiner
01-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Here s afunny look at the insane real estate prices in Toronto.

http://fmlistings.tumblr.com/Dear GOD. And I thought prices in L.A. were ridiculous.

And by the way, no chance in hell I'm paying 1.5 mil to live on a street called Cummer Ave. (http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=11267264&PidKey=475689348)

Fixer808
01-30-2012, 09:08 PM
Vancouver's house prices are ludicrous. $2 million for a house on the West Side, upwards of $650K for the Eastside.

ManBurning
01-31-2012, 12:46 AM
Vancouver's house prices are ludicrous. $2 million for a house on the West Side, upwards of $650K for the Eastside.

It's already broken the Million mark on the East Side... I can kiss being a home owner goodbye as long as I live here...

Everyone keeps saying "Oh don't worry, it's gonna crash soon, gonna crash soon" well, what is this, Trent Reznor "soon" because I certainly don't see any end in site.

I read in the paper you can buy a 2 bathroom, 3 bedroom place in Arizona now for $250,000! Makes you wonder why anyone lives in Raintown at these prices when we can go live in the land of warmth and sunshine. But I guess good luck funding a job down there.

theruiner
01-31-2012, 01:02 AM
I read in the paper you can buy a 2 bathroom, 3 bedroom place in Arizona now for $250,000! Makes you wonder why anyone lives in Raintown at these prices when we can go live in the land of warmth and sunshine. But I guess good luck funding a job down there.Trust me, "warmth and sunshine" sounds nice until you're smack dab in the middle of 118 degrees. And you've got three or four months of it to go.

On the other hand, the winters are pretty damn nice.

ibanez33
02-01-2012, 01:08 AM
I'll take 3 or 4 months of 118 over 9 or 10 months of rain.

botley
02-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Today is HRH Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee. She has been styled as the "Queen of Canada" for thirty of those sixty years (ever since our 1982 constitutional patriation). Long may she reign!

Canadians: what are your thoughts on retaining/updating/abolishing our constitutional monarchy? Personally, I think things are fine the way they are. Canada as a nation was built with the help and support of British (and French) monarchs. The monarchy is part of our unique national heritage. There are those who say the system is elitist and outdated but I think it serves to remind us of our distinct identity.

Fixer808
02-06-2012, 05:56 PM
I say as long as they keep to themselves, show up on our money every now and then, and keep banging their cousins and turning out inbred upper-class-twits, they can reign over us all they want. We could stand to do away with the Governor General, though.. "Can we please change our constitution? Someone forgot some punctuation." "Lemme ask the Queen, get back to you in a couple months".

botley
02-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Actually, in practice the GG will never consult the Queen on anything that directly influences governance. Along with the lieutenant-governors, they basically take on all the required duties of our monarch as viceroys.

See: this bitchin' Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarchy_of_Canada).

ManBurning
02-27-2012, 10:36 PM
So, there is a robocall scandal going around now, which would make Stephan Harper and his majority Government illegitimate.
They basically comitted fraud by misdirecting voters to the wrong polling stations on election day, letting them know their voter station had been changed.
They targeted many non-conservative ridings as well. This lead to much confusion that many Canadians couldn't get to the new location that was out of the way.

It's up to us, the Canadians to take a stand and overthrow this majorioty Government once and for all.

Below is a video that should bring everyone up to speed on the situation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaptyseIkqo

And then there is a petetion to sign as well here: http://www.leadnow.ca/robocall-fraud

Please share this information with your fellow canadians on your twitter, facebook or whatever other social media you use. We need to get Harper FIRED, that will be the first step to having a better Canada.

Dra508
03-01-2012, 06:22 PM
http://youtu.be/Jd3pxX0lRYI

You guys shouldn't import some of our American culture. I mean really.

Fixer808
03-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Yeah, I'm ashamed to live in this town right now.

theruiner
03-02-2012, 05:55 AM
Come live in Arizona for one week and you'll be completely cured of any shame you feel for Vancouver.

ManBurning
03-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Come live in Arizona for one week and you'll be completely cured of any shame you feel for Vancouver.

I Don't see what everyone has against AZ!
Come spend a winter in Vancouver, and we'll see how fast you jet back down to AZ.

october_midnight
03-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Yeah the uhh, winters up here are uhh....terrible. (snow once in a while that's gone within 24 hours). Try Alberta, son.

Fixer808
03-02-2012, 03:39 PM
It's not the snow, it's the endless rain!!

ManBurning
03-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Yeah the uhh, winters up here are uhh....terrible. (snow once in a while that's gone within 24 hours). Try Alberta, son.

I can sense the sarcasm in your typing, son. I don't need to try alberta, as i've tried Winnipeg for 23 years, and I think that has you beat on the terrible weather scale. But all things asside, this is a battle between Vancouver and Arizona. Yes, I agree there are much worse places out there for weather, but Vancouver's isn't exactly the greatest, there is no way you like +5 to +12 and raining for 7-9 months straight.

Plus, +5 here doesn't even feel liek +5 here, it feels more like -5 with the rain. The cold here is a different kind of cold. It's wet, it's damp, no matter how many layers you wear you just can't shake it.

I seriously don't know who in the right mind would say anyone from Vancouver would hate arizona after a week, nobody in the right mind!
If I could, I would get up and move to either CA, AZ, NV, HI, NM, FL or any other warm climate destinate in a heartbeat.
But for now, I am stuck in the "warmest" place in Canada, and it's really not that warm.

theruiner
03-02-2012, 10:56 PM
I actually was referring to the culture in Arizona, but now that you mention it, yeah, it really sucks here in the summer. Big time. But the winters are pretty decent.

Fixer808
03-03-2012, 04:39 PM
I suppose the right wing orthodoxy in Arizona is probably terrible, but up here the hipsters here are insufferable. You turn on the light in your kitchen and they scurry under your fridge while you're trying to stomp them. After a few minutes of frantic flailing you're left with broken Elvis Costello glasses all over the floor and the lingering smell of Axe Body Spray (it's ironic).

theruiner
03-03-2012, 05:48 PM
It's really not all that bad. I'm sort of half joking. I mean, yes, this is a red state, so for sure most of the people you meet are probably homophobic Republicans (considering this state voted against gay marriage a few years ago, that's probably a good assumption). And yes, people love their guns, though for a state that lets you carry not just guns everywhere you go, but concealed guns without a permit, you really don't see too many people with a six-shooter on their hip. Though I have seen it a few times. You know it's bad when restaurants and stores have a "please do not bring guns into this establishment" signs in the window.

frankie teardrop
03-05-2012, 10:46 AM
just spend the weekend doing a mini-tour in canada. toronto on friday and montreal on saturday. preferred the latter, and look forward to visiting again, when i can actually see more than the inside of a venue, a couch, and the occasional restaurant!

Fixer808
03-05-2012, 02:11 PM
Did you get a Montreal smoked meat sandwich??? And get glared at when you didn't speak French???

frankie teardrop
03-05-2012, 04:28 PM
i got poutine with smoked meat on top, and ate at a norweigan and a mediterranean restaurant. the singer of the band i play in is fluent (born and raised in france) and our friend/co-show mate was french canadian, so we were fine. my french is passable enough that i could have managed awkwardly without them, like the missus and i did in paris.

got a good linguistics workout, though. gave it the ol' college try though. politely said "je ne parle pas francais" if it got too out of hand. everyone seemed way cool with it.

marodi
03-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Did you get a Montreal smoked meat sandwich??? And get glared at when you didn't speak French???

HEY! I resent that!

Seriously though, you'd me amazed at how us regular French speakers will do whatever is necessary to help tourists/visitors who don't speak French. I know because I was the "official" bilingual person at work and there were days where I would spend most of the time either on the phone or with tourists who were English speakers only. It's only a small fraction of assholes who are rude towards non French speaking visitors.

And frankie: HIGH FIVE on the poutine! :D

frankie teardrop
03-05-2012, 04:42 PM
yeah, everyone was really friendly about it and had no qualms with switching to english if/when necessary.

ManBurning
03-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Animation: What Stephen Harper thinks he does
Editorial cartoonist Dan Murphy presents the Canadian prime minister in all his various incarnations.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/news/Animation+What+Stephen+Harper+thinks+does/6246793/story.html#ixzz1oMWSLs6O

october_midnight
03-06-2012, 12:23 PM
For everyone complaining about Vancouver's weather, look at it out there. Beautiful day while Alberta gets pounded by snow. People still don't know what they got here...

Fixer808
03-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Yeah, it's pretty freakin' stunning out today. I'm off work today because of the job action, so I went home, grabbed my camera, and I'm headed to Jericho beach!

marodi
03-06-2012, 05:53 PM
It's going to be 11 Celsius tomorrow in Quebec City. I'm getting my bathing suit.

ManBurning
03-07-2012, 12:07 AM
For everyone complaining about Vancouver's weather, look at it out there. Beautiful day while Alberta gets pounded by snow. People still don't know what they got here...

Not gonna argue with you there, sir. This is the most beautiful place in the world... when the sun is shining!
The sunny days remind me why I live here. It's just the shit you have to put up with to get them... 30-45 days in a row of pure mope, cloud and rain.
But... Thursday is supposed to be +11 and sunny, gonna be an amazing day to have off.

ibanez33
03-07-2012, 01:00 AM
Yeah, the island was pretty nice too. Even though it snowed for a solid 4 or 5 hours yesterday :/

october_midnight
03-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Canada to get new Coors Light Iced Tea before the U.S. (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203458604577265981381936526.html)

Suck it, America! I think......

Kid Charlemagne
03-07-2012, 03:06 PM
Canada to get new Coors Light Iced Tea before the U.S. (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203458604577265981381936526.html)

What the fuck? I drink Coor's Light like it's water and you poutine eating bastards get this before us yanks? This sounds so awesome almost as awesome as platinum Bud Light, which was as awesome as Crystal Pepsi, which was as awesome as New Coke.

ibanez33
03-08-2012, 02:17 AM
I drink Coor's Light like it's water

Fun fact: You can't get drunk off either one. After 15 Coors Light you may begin to feel the effects of alcohol affecting your body, but those feelings of drunkenness are actually caused by the placebo effect.

Dra508
03-08-2012, 07:41 AM
What the fuck? I drink Coor's Light like it's water and you poutine eating bastards get this before us yanks? This sounds so awesome almost as awesome as platinum Bud Light, which was as awesome as Crystal Pepsi, which was as awesome as New Coke.Not as awesome as the Bud Light and Clamato juice combo I saw in Texas. Bet dem Canucks don't have that choice combo.

ManBurning
03-30-2012, 12:10 PM
So starting in the fall, Canada will stop production of the penny, and we will be rounding to the nearest nickel now on all purchases after tax.

"The solution Ottawa is proposing is to do away with the penny in cash transactions. Instead of fiddling with a few cents at the cash register, prices will be rounded up or down to the nearest five-cent increment.
That rounding will happen after any applicable sales taxes have been implemented.
Take a cup of coffee in Medicine Hat, Alta., that currently costs $1.80 and is subject to five per cent GST. A consumer today would pay $1.89 for that drink. Once the penny plan is implemented, that price would be rounded up to $1.90."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2012/03/29/federalbudget-flaherty-penny-cent.html

october_midnight
03-30-2012, 12:29 PM
Odd that they name dropped the city I'm from out of all the crapholes to choose from. MOOOOOOSE JAWWWWW!!! As for the penny, good riddance!

marodi
03-30-2012, 03:23 PM
But I like the penny... :(

botley
03-30-2012, 05:20 PM
Yeah, that's probably a good idea. Guess what's not? EVERYTHING ELSE IN THIS NIGHTMARE SLASH AND BURN FEDERAL BUDGET.

ManBurning
03-31-2012, 02:45 PM
But I like the penny... :(
The penny is a nuisance, I find myself hucking them in the trash more than I actually use them. Nobody wants a handful of them weighing down your pocket.

Fixer808
03-31-2012, 05:45 PM
The penny is a nuisance, I find myself hucking them in the trash more than I actually use them. Nobody wants a handful of them weighing down your pocket.
http://images.wikia.com/simpsons/images/9/9b/JamesLBrooks.jpg

Seriously, though, it's about time. The damn things cost more to make than they're actually worth.

marodi
03-31-2012, 05:57 PM
But but but... I collect them!

Seriously though; I've always wanted to start a coin collection and when I finally did a few years ago, I started with the penny. The oldest I have are in the 1890s and they are bigger than one of our quarters. Of course, I had to buy the oldest ones. My penny collection is pretty extensive (the only ones I'm missing are the rarest; they are worth near to a $100 or more each IIRC).

I know they are a nuisance but still: I'm going to miss the little buggers. Maybe it's time to start a nickel collection?

Fixer808
03-31-2012, 06:12 PM
Maybe it's time to start a nickel collection?
http://www.canadiandesignresource.ca/officialgallery/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/alex-colville.JPG
Canadian Centennial coins, 1967. What I don't get is why the nickel has a rabbit on it. The nickel already HAD an animal on it! A way better animal, at that.

ManBurning
04-01-2012, 03:45 PM
I have the cougar quarter, rabbit nickel and fish dime. The Animal selection on there is definatly odd.

BlueCalx
04-09-2012, 12:10 AM

I have a couple friends who work in liquor, they let me sample some of that stuff last Friday. You can get the same flavour from mixing Coors Light with Kool-Aid, taking a big swig and then biting down hard on a used teabag. So far, no one who they've experimented upon has been able to endure more than two strong pulls.

marodi
04-10-2012, 06:24 PM
Late reply, sorry about that!

I'm lucky enough to have all of those Centennial coins because 1967 is the year I was born and my mom saved them for me. I blame her for my love of small change. :D

Speaking of my mom: Sunday (Jesus Zombie Day) was her I've-made-a-ton-of-food-for-Easter-so-you-better-come-eat-some-and-you're-going-to-leave-with-leftovers day. She had me eat eggs in maple syrup (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/oeufs-dans-le-sirop-derable-eggs-in-maple-syrup-recipe/index.html). It doesn't compute to her that I hate maple syrup. I took two bites to please her.

It wasn't that bad but two bites a year is more than enough.

Timinator
04-11-2012, 06:23 AM
Plastic money, now getting rid of the penny. Well done, Canada: following the Australian example.

Fixer808
04-11-2012, 03:29 PM
The plastic money is good (despite the odd fact that it has a window, and no vedning machines, ATMs, or self-checkouts recognize it yet), but it's about goddamn time we saw the ass-end of the penny. Maybe all that copper can be put towards something more useful, like ANYTHING ELSE.

ManBurning
04-19-2012, 02:15 AM
I finally saw the new plastic money for the first time last weekend. I took money out of them ATM and it came out, I was surprsied.
Took a few shots of it if anyone is curious or has yet to see it yet,

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f224/ManBurning/50_1.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f224/ManBurning/50_2.jpg

Not sure what my feelings are of this, it seems like it costs more to print this over the old paper money.
Personally, I miss it when the birds were on the back of the bills... fuck kids playing hockey and whatever other rand shapes are on the current money, the birds will always have a place in my heart on the money.

Snowy Owl, Blue Jay, Osprey Balbuzzard...

speaking of old money, anyone remember the $2 bill? God, do I ever miss this gem! I wonder what would happen if you tried using it now.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f224/ManBurning/SAM_0843.jpg

thelastdisciple
04-19-2012, 03:44 AM
It may be plastic but those pictures just make it look like paper still if you ask me lol

marodi
04-19-2012, 11:26 AM
@ManBurning

Because I'm very old, I do remember those 2 dollar bills. In fact, I even remember this one:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1974-2-TWO-DOLLAR-BILL-Bank-Canada-BC-47b-CHOICE-UNCIRCULATED-/00/s/Nzk4WDE2MDA=/$(KGrHqFHJDcE9!QGenYrBPZ60P8vW!~~60_35.JPG

Even creepier, I've even come across these sometimes:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqR,!jYE1I3J+UL5BN(CeZq9KQ~~_1.jpg
And I still have a soft spot for these:

http://johngushue.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/canada_1_bill.jpg

I can't wait to see plastic money!

On the same subject: does anyone remembers the 50 cents coins that were made when the Queen celebrated the 50th anniversary of her coronation? Those weren't just available for collecting; a large bunch of them were put in circulation. And since I had a cash register in my department at that time, I remember the nightmare that it was. First, you had to be careful not to confuse them with other coins and second, there was no place in the cash register to put them in. The coin collector in me was delighted though.

And now for something completely different: do you ladies and gents keep your SIN card with you all the time? It's a silly question, I know. When do you need it, really? I don't need mine; the card itself I mean, since I've had it for over 30 years now and when I did get it, it took me ten minutes to memorize the number. So I haven't been asked for the card itself in a very long time now; in fact, the last time I saw it was 17 years ago. I know it wasn't stolen; it's just misplaced... Okay, the fucking thing is playing hide and seek and it's winning.

The bottom line is that I've been asked for it 2 days ago. It's not enough that I know the goddamn number, no; they have to see the goddamn card. The lady who was asking for it (and whom I wanted to punch in the face) insisted that it was necessary that I showed it to her to prove my identity. Now I knew I was going to be asked something like that so I was prepared: I had with me my Sun card, my birth certificate, my passport and, by chance (because I just picked them up before going to see the nice lady) my tax return forms for Quebec and Canada which both have the SIN number proudly displayed on them. The birth certificate made her very happy but she still needs to see the damn SIN card. The irony is that I need it for something that has to do with a ministry of the great province of Quebec. It's not even the government of Canada that wants to see it, no! I wasn't even asked for it when I went to get my goddamn passport!

So I will have to go order a new one and pay $10 for it. It's not the $10 that bothers me; it's the fact that I have to pay for a FUCKING PIECE OF WHITE PLASTIC WITH A RED BORDER THAT HAS A NINE DIGIT NUMBER ON IT THAT I'VE KNOW BY HEART FOR OVER 30 YEARS GODDAMN IT!

I is not pleased.

october_midnight
04-19-2012, 12:51 PM
I've actually got my hands on the new $50's and $100's for some time now, they're pretty cool but I get the feeling they're sort of...easier to misplace or lose. I don't know...they seem reeeaaally thin. I also have mint copies of all the old school $2 bills! I kept one of each for some unknown reason. The 2nd one Marodi posted that's like, red and green...always thought that looked badass for some reason.

As for the SIN card, that's pretty fucked. I was actually taught and told early on to actually not carry it around in case of losing it or having someone jack your wallet. Mine has literally sat in drawers, etc. since I had it. I too have had my SIN number memorized for like 20 years, but nobody has ever asked me to produce it for identification purposes, especially when you have your effing passport, and other cards. The hell?

Fixer808
04-19-2012, 05:24 PM
The pictures above make it look like paper, but in person they're very slippery and shiny. And my dad has a collection of old coins and bills, and while I get the reason they switched to $1 and $2 coins, I still liked that $2 bill!

And I always have my SIN card on me, just switched it from wallet to wallet over the years without thinking about it, even though I too have the number memorized. Hell, I have my library card number memorized!

ManBurning
04-19-2012, 11:07 PM
I was actually taught and told early on to actually not carry it around in case of losing it or having someone jack your wallet. Mine has literally sat in drawers, etc. since I had it. I too have had my SIN number memorized for like 20 years.

Yeah, same. I was always told to never carry your SIN around, so i'm in the same boat as you, I always have it sitting on a shelf at home safe away.
The only difference between you and I is, I never remembered my SIN number -- ever! I just never took the time to bother, never thought I would ever need it out and about.

october_midnight
04-19-2012, 11:10 PM
And chances are unless you're traveling, or something that would ever possibly require identification like filling out a form of some kind, you never will. The ODD time I've been asked (for the life of me it was somewhere in like 2011), I just rattled it off and that was that.

Dra508
04-21-2012, 05:40 PM
The New Yorker cartoon.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/154443_10150682569628869_9258148868_9344844_961503 428_n.jpg

Fixer808
04-21-2012, 05:58 PM
Jesus, the guy's clothes are scarily accurate. He looks like a Molson's commercial.

mixxy
05-15-2012, 03:57 PM
Seriously? I was going to ask who still carries change, or cash at all for that matter, but I guess people with a bit a forethought carry at least some for little things like coffee, especially at those annoying shops who charge you to use the debit machine!

On that note, I was recently told that Canada is a much more cash-free country than the US and uses plastic, especially debit cards, much more. I had no idea. Apparently debit cards are not all that commonly used? An American told me this. Personally I never carry cash anymore, so the penny was never really a hassle to me at all. I think there are like, 3, in my wallet.

As a Saskatchewan native living in Calgary, this makes me laugh. I freaking love winters here. I'll take unpredictable over constant cold and snow any day (ignoring this past unseasonably mild winter). I was just talking a Vancouver native who moved here in the fall and she was already sick of winters. Too bad for her, this winter was amazing compared to what normally happens.

mixxy
05-15-2012, 04:01 PM
The New Yorker cartoon.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/154443_10150682569628869_9258148868_9344844_961503 428_n.jpg

When I was shopping in Niagara Falls, NY last October, the cashier asked me where I was from.
"Calgary."
Blank stare.
"It's in Alberta."
Blank stare.
"Alberta is a province in Canada."
Yet another blank stare.
"It's just somewhere in the middle of Canada, ok?"
"Ohhh, ok!"

Seriously.

BlueCalx
05-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Man, you're just not Canadian unless you've had a genial pissing match with another Canadian about how bad the weather is where you're from. It's pretty much a handshake here.

Fixer808
05-16-2012, 07:27 PM
Canada to get new Coors Light Iced Tea before the U.S.

Suck it, America! I think......What the fuck? I drink Coor's Light like it's water and you poutine eating bastards get this before us yanks? This sounds so awesome almost as awesome as platinum Bud Light, which was as awesome as Crystal Pepsi, which was as awesome as New Coke.
I just saw this, and I think the only reason they've gone this direction is for the acronym.

ManBurning
05-17-2012, 12:03 AM
Seriously? I was going to ask who still carries change, or cash at all for that matter, but I guess people with a bit a forethought carry at least some for little things like coffee, especially at those annoying shops who charge you to use the debit machine!

There are some things you need cash for. I don't usually carry cash if I don't have to, I used to be the debit card guy for years and years, and we would go to a restaurant with friends and the bill would need to be split and everyone would throw down cash except me, that's an inconvienence. I usually buy a coffee every morning before work as well and it's like $1.50 and I don't want to spend such a little denomination on my debit card everyday, and you get charged a trasnaction fee for something small too, so cases like that it helps, I usually try and make sure I start the week off with at least a $20 bill in my wallet. That usually covers the cost of small instances like these and other rare times when you need cash/change.

thelastdisciple
05-17-2012, 04:29 PM

I always carry cash on me not like stupid amounts but just an appropriate amount for what i need, i pretty much like to avoid paying extra for services as much as possible....it's bad enough there's taxes on literally everything.. i mean why on earth are there even digital taxes for some things? on shit that's not even physical? come the fuck on! it's ridiculous.... i definitely don't need transaction fees though on top of especially for any drinks and the like as you have your stupid recycling fees..... obviously you can redeem some money back from the bottle depot but still so yeah using debit is completely out of the question for me.

I also do not have a credit card.. don't really feel the need in getting one either no matter how much everything out there is trying to force it on me, I'm barely living off an income as it is so things are pretty steady along the cheap route for i guess, if it comes to it and if i really wish to get anything off the Internet that requires some kind of electronic payment i'll get a prepaid or rechargeable card, it's just a lot more secure and manageable for me as i try to avoid giving out personal info as much as possible.

mixxy
05-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Yeah, I figured as much, which I why I said people with forethought usually do carry some cash. Smart people, you are. Not me though - that's why I'm always caught at the coffee shop paying $2.50ish on my debit card. Grrr. I'm more in awe of the people who claim to have jars of pennies (or all the cheeky news reporters telling us we could get rid of them, after the budget was announced). I can't imagine using cash that much any more that one would have have a jar of pennies. On one hand, it makes sense to get rid of them, since we are becoming a more plastic society; on the other hand, I don't think they were much of a hassle for the individual. I can see the hassle for banks and businesses, though.

mixxy
05-21-2012, 11:53 AM
I can't decide if I love the painting or want to recoil in horror at it. Clever, either way.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/video/video-nude-portrait-of-harper-makes-a-stir/article2437567/

marodi
05-22-2012, 08:26 PM
I don't know if it made the news in the rest of Canada but for a while now, things have been a little crazy in the great and beautiful province of Québec.

For the last 100 days, a bunch of cegep and university students have been "on strike" over Jean "I'm an even greater idiot than Harper" Charest's intention to increase tuitions. There's been a lot of rallies and demonstrations over this and of course, some of them ended in violence. To make a long story short: last week Jean "I'm a clown" Charest lost his temper and got the Québec government to vote Bill 78 to "regulate" said demonstrations. The bill passed but nobody's happy about it.

Now, there's even more demonstrations, more usage of pepper spray, more people hitting each other etc. The funniest part is that Anonymous isn't please either with Bill 78 and yesterday, they hacked many government sites for much shit and giggles.

Here's a nice article explaining it all better than I could. (http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/05/21/quebecs-largest-student-group-vows-to-defy-governments-new-emergency-law)

I didn't have fun like that when I went to school, a long time ago... :(

ManBurning
06-16-2012, 12:48 AM
Vancouver's stormy summer on pace for record cold

" Vancouverites may love to complain about their “bummer summer,” but it’s not just casual griping any more. Current temperatures are on track to make this June the coldest on record.
As of Wednesday, this month’s mean temperature — an average of the coldest and warmest temperatures each day — was 13.2 C. That’s a substantial drop from 2011’s mean temperature of 15.3 degrees.
You have to go all the way back to 1971 to find a “Junuary” even close to being that chilly, when the mean temperature was 13.5 degrees. The mean June temperature has dipped below 14 degrees six times in Vancouver since records began in 1937."

Read the full article here: http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/Vancouver+stormy+summer+pace+record+cold/6778531/story.html

So Aaron, what do you think about your amazing, precious Vancouver weather now? There is no way in hell you can't be getting sick and tired of this doom and gloom, and I know i'm not the only one! This is getting ridiculious! If it's this bad now, how is July going to be? I'm worried we're not gonna get a proper summer AGAIN! last July was the worst July I have ever seen in this city, don't want a repeat of that nonsense again!

october_midnight
06-16-2012, 12:50 AM
Meh, it's not that bad. Wear a hoodie.

marodi
06-16-2012, 01:44 PM
That's it, I'm moving to Vancouver. God I hate heat!

Fixer808
06-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Meh, it's not that bad. Wear a hoodie.
What, and get shot?

Chris_CDN
06-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Is anyone else doing Canada Day in Ottawa? Any suggestions from those who've done it?

Warped_Savant
06-29-2012, 09:44 PM
We may not have the nicest of summers in Vancouver, and we may have some of the rainiest winter... but it never tends to be too warm and during the colder months it's usually warmer than the rest of the country.

ManBurning
06-30-2012, 02:23 PM
We may not have the nicest of summers in Vancouver, and we may have some of the rainiest winter... but it never tends to be too warm and during the colder months it's usually warmer than the rest of the country.

SWEET, another Vancouver ETS resident!? There are sooo many popping up these days. We need to have a Vancouver ETS party get-together, what does everyone say? There are at least 5 people on this board I know are from Vancouver. Plus a few from the island as well.

Fixer808
06-30-2012, 05:34 PM
sweet, another vancouver ets resident!? There are sooo many popping up these days. We need to have a vancouver ets party get-together, what does everyone say? There are at least 5 people on this board i know are from vancouver. Plus a few from the island as well.
we are legion.

botley
07-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Happy fuckin Canada Day. Let's get sloppy!

orestes
07-01-2012, 07:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RHVoFpncgA

poinoup
07-02-2012, 12:43 AM
Happy Canada Day my fellow Canuckleheads! Time for some 1516s from Okanagan Springs!!! Even though I'm Albertan, VIVA BC BEER!

thelastdisciple
07-03-2012, 01:41 AM
http://youtu.be/XjiwBwBL4Qo

I've always enjoyed this.

Fixer808
07-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Happy fuckin Canada Day. Let's get sloppy!
This happened. The "Lust In Space Fetish Fashion" party ended with me hammered and pouring sweat (I was dressed as Boba Fett, not an outfit conducive to a club environment). I will post photos soon, I had some taken with a Stormtrooper and a Jedi, among others! Plus a lot of people wanted a shot with me!

BlueCalx
07-03-2012, 04:45 PM
This happened. The "Lust In Space Fetish Fashion" party ended with me hammered and pouring sweat (I was dressed as Boba Fett, not an outfit conducive to a club environment). I will post photos soon, I had some taken with a Stormtrooper and a Jedi, among others! Plus a lot of people wanted a shot with me!

Oh shit, that was you? You looked fucking awesome out there. I went for more of a cyberpunk aesthetic (http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/181163_10151878098745131_10490213_n.jpg).

Fixer808
07-03-2012, 06:02 PM
Haha, thanks! And there needs to be more cyberpunk around these days... STRANGE DAYS! That was a blast of a party, too!

Fixer808
07-03-2012, 07:36 PM
Come to think of it, Sin City might be a good idea for a Vancouver meet this summer XD

BlueCalx
07-03-2012, 08:49 PM
You're so right. Who else would be down for that? Specifically, who else in ​THIS HERE THREAD???

PooPooMeowChow
07-04-2012, 01:10 AM
http://youtu.be/XjiwBwBL4Qo

I've always enjoyed this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZoeGRN_gZk
Yee buddy

ibanez33
07-06-2012, 03:00 AM
Could we make a Vancouver[Island]ite meet-up thread and plan it out without clogging up with one?

*edit* or maybe a big PNW meet-up, so johnbron can lecture us all about the wonderful filth that is IPA? :rolleyes:

Goldfoot
07-06-2012, 03:08 AM
I'll just leave this here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qdJp5-g69go

marodi
09-05-2012, 12:15 PM
So us Québécois were electing a new Prime Minister yesterday; for the first time in Québec's history a woman, Pauline Marois, leader of the Parti Québécois (you know, those pesky sovereignists) is going to lead the province. It's a minority government though which should make things interesting enough.

Oh and someone tried to shoot her during her victory speech late last night. (http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/09/05/the-anglos-are-waking-up-pauline-marois-possible-target-of-quebec-election-gunman) The gunman never made it inside but he did shoot at people; leaving one person dead and one person in intensive care at the hospital.

Okay...

Fixer808
09-07-2012, 01:04 AM
This video (http://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/angry-quebecer-confronts-english-speakers-050000116.html) shouldn't be labeled "Angry Quebecer confronts English speakers", it should be "Pack of drunk idiots yells at each other for a bit". I've seen more "heated confrontations" in the lineup at Tim Hortons.

marodi
09-07-2012, 12:39 PM
This video (http://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/angry-quebecer-confronts-english-speakers-050000116.html) shouldn't be labeled "Angry Quebecer confronts English speakers", it should be "Pack of drunk idiots yells at each other for a bit". I've seen more "heated confrontations" in the lineup at Tim Hortons.

This video and the comment section are both perfect examples of the misunderstanding between our two cultures. Shame on the idiots in the video and shame on those leaving hateful comments.

thelastdisciple
09-23-2012, 09:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sPZILnTMWs

Some more Canadian Pride!

(even though these guys are Denverites lol)

Fixer808
09-25-2012, 04:30 AM
THEY PLAYED THIS AT THE CLUB LAST NIGHT AND I MISSED IT!!! Sads!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLVe1NkQA78

marodi
10-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Bacon shortage??? (http://www.ottawacitizen.com/business/fp/Bacon+shortage+Canada+prices+will+rise+industry+wa rns/7303999/story.html)

WTF. This must be one of the signs of the Apocalypse!

botley
10-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Botley's Promise (tm): any ETS'er who comes to visit Toronto when I'm in town (and not working my butt off that night) gets to have a round of tasty beverage on me.

october_midnight
10-13-2012, 02:08 PM
Of course on the day I have to go to two strata meetings and a bunch of running around it's raining like a motherfucker. A motherfucker.

october_midnight
10-28-2012, 12:59 AM
7.7 earthquake hits off the coast of BC. (http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/27/quake-with-a-magnitude-of-7-7-strikes-off-canada-coast/?hpt=hp_t1)

The wife and I actually felt it for a few seconds. Holy fucking shit.

Fixer808
10-28-2012, 06:14 AM
Felt jack nothin'. Of course, the bass at the Halloween party may have distracted me. And the booze. Mostly the booze, probs.

october_midnight
11-01-2012, 04:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlD943R2xZA

botley
01-07-2013, 09:54 AM
Are you in Toronto at all this month? Come see Hedwig and the Angry Inch at the Drake Hotel! I'm co-producing the show as well as doing the tech. It's going to be amazing. Here's the link (http://breathefeellove.com) to buy tickets.

marodi
01-07-2013, 11:05 AM
I wish I was in Toronto, I would certainly go... :(

I only went there once, back in 2009 to see NIN and I was there for about 36 hours. I saw nothing of the city.

Stereo75
01-07-2013, 01:35 PM
I only went there once, back in 2009 to see NIN and I was there for about 36 hours. I saw nothing of the city.

I did the exact same thing in '05 for one of the Koolhaus club shows. There & back to Winnipeg in less than 24 hours. What a trip!

ManBurning
01-07-2013, 09:48 PM
I did the exact same thing in '05 for one of the Koolhaus club shows. There & back to Winnipeg in less than 24 hours. What a trip!

The Toronto Koolhaus shows were EPIC! i ventured from Winnipeg at the time as well. Living in Vancouver now. Those were good times!
That was like my 5th or 6th time going to Toronto though. Growing up in Winnipeg, I learned quite fast that shows don't go there, so you need to travel for shows. So anytime something I wanted to see went to Toronto, I was there... Manson, Rammstein, The Cure, Zwan, NIN at least 3 times... good times!

ibanez33
01-09-2013, 02:48 AM
Damn, you guys are dedicated. I usually can't be bothered to make the 2-hour trip to Vancouver unless I've got a friend or 2 to come along with me or it's a very rare show. In '08 I made the hour long drive to Victoria in about 40 minutes to catch NIN after work one night and got there just in time for March of the Pigs (still missed the first few songs though), but that's the only time I've ever gone to a concert solo.

Deepvoid
01-09-2013, 08:34 AM
Drove to Toronto (2 times with a friend) and Ottawa (once solo) from MTL to see NIN. All worth it.

Fixer808
02-04-2013, 08:49 PM
Well, so long penny. An NDP MP is also suggesting we should axe the nickel (and by association, hopefully, Nickelback...) and end up with 10 cent, 20 cent and 50 cent coins, and $1, $2 and $5 coins.

Well first off, a 20 cent coin? That's drug-people talk, stoner. And for another thing, the $1 and $2 coins are alright, but a $5 coin?! What, is it going to be as big around as a cookie?

Warped_Savant
02-04-2013, 09:49 PM
With the penny disappearing (YaY!) today, all I can think of is those movies where someone hacks a bank to skim pennies off of accounts and they get stinking rich doing it. (Hackers and Office Space immediately come to mind).

So... all I have to do is pay attention to what something costs and this will work for me too, right? Mathematical time!!
If $<.x3=pay cash and get a nickel back; if $>.x3=pay debit and don't lose out on getting that one or two cents back...

Given that I do about 5 transactions a week that don't involve a vending machine or filling up on gas, and me making about a penny and a half with each transaction... that would mean that after only a year I'll have scammed right about one whole dollar!
I'll be rich, I tells ya; RICH!

ibanez33
02-05-2013, 01:58 AM
Well, so long penny. An NDP MP is also suggesting we should axe the nickel (and by association, hopefully, Nickelback...) and end up with 10 cent, 20 cent and 50 cent coins, and $1, $2 and $5 coins.

Well first off, a 20 cent coin? That's drug-people talk, stoner. And for another thing, the $1 and $2 coins are alright, but a $5 coin?! What, is it going to be as big around as a cookie?

They're rolling out new $5 bills later this year, there's no way they're going to scrap that so soon.

Fixer808
02-05-2013, 12:57 PM
Yeah, so far it's still only one guy's quest. Also, the new polymer bills, someone told me the best part of the bill to grab if you wanna make sure it isn't two bills is the clear part. I guess you can get more traction there or something.

october_midnight
03-06-2013, 01:47 PM
Canada.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/522629_549450255087925_1025995987_n.jpg

Even our buses apologize.

Gewalt Warten
03-06-2013, 08:15 PM
RIP Stompin' Tom Connors

thelastdisciple
03-23-2013, 03:38 PM
So this happened near Edmonton the other day...

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/common/images/uploadnewstorm/car_crash_-_March_22__2013_art-7-36074.png

Huge multi-vehicle pileup on Highway 2.

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/TlsShAD7IqvvoDTe10nTfg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD0zNTE7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/news/2013-03-21/df96d444-1b62-4b77-bd46-ed476f6e4a77_04179366.jpg

http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/suns-prod-images/1297393010550_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x

Chris_CDN
03-25-2013, 01:49 PM
One of the best Canadian comics out there is doing a few of these 'Language Police' sketches. Pretty freakin' good if you ask me.

Some of you might be familiar with Derek Seguin if you ever listen to CBC Radio's "The Debaters".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ9bHTVGTMo&amp;sns=tw

october_midnight
03-26-2013, 05:48 PM
It's official...october_midnight, homeowner!

Warped_Savant
03-26-2013, 08:05 PM
It's official...october_midnight, homeowner!
Congrats! In Vancouver itself or just outside?
(Houses are ridiculous here, aren't they?)

october_midnight
03-26-2013, 08:08 PM
Thanks! New development in New West... $260,900 !!! (now accepting donations of food/clothing/anything else lol).

Fixer808
03-26-2013, 08:50 PM
That is astonishingly cheap.

october_midnight
03-26-2013, 09:05 PM
For a new place too.

Warped_Savant
03-26-2013, 09:57 PM
Thanks! New development in New West... $260,900 !!! (now accepting donations of food/clothing/anything else lol).
Wait... over on 8th west, right by the Safeway? (I just had to correct myself when I typed out "Food Barn")

october_midnight
03-26-2013, 10:03 PM
New development called Trapp + Holbrook. (http://www.thliving.com/)

On Columbia St.

Warped_Savant
03-26-2013, 10:07 PM
That's awesome! New West is a wonderful place to live.

october_midnight
03-26-2013, 10:12 PM
And it's getting better. Developments are going up like nuts, the 3-storey New West skytrain station now has a movie theater, there are tons of pubs, and we'll be across the street from a Waves, Stabucks, FreshSlice, and the police station LOL.

Warped_Savant
03-26-2013, 11:47 PM
It's so nice to have a theatre in New West again!
Wife and I have always lived here. The building you bought in looks amazing. When do you get to move in?

october_midnight
03-27-2013, 12:31 AM
Oct/Nov 2014. We put the 5% down, about 13K, now it's time to raise up the tax (about 8400 fml) and as much else as we can throw at it before completion to lower our payments.

allegro
04-01-2013, 10:51 PM
24 Canadianisms way more interesting than "eh?" (http://mentalfloss.com/article/49419/24-canadianisms-way-more-interesting-eh)

ibanez33
04-02-2013, 12:43 AM
24 Canadianisms way more interesting than "eh?" (http://mentalfloss.com/article/49419/24-canadianisms-way-more-interesting-eh)

The only ones common enough that I'd consider them a "Canadian-ism" are "Hydro" and "All-Dressed"; "Loonie" and "Toonie" are just the names of the coins, no different than calling a 5-cent piece a nickel or 10-cent piece a dime. "Ogopogo" is as much a Canadian-ism as "Loch Ness Monster" is a "Scottish-ism", although I suppose it's not well-known outside of Western Canada. I've also never heard of the name "Calgary Redeye" for that drink but I can confirm that it is very delicious.

I can't be sure of the commonness of the Eastern ones but it was still a pretty good read!

Fixer808
04-02-2013, 12:49 AM
I've never heard a lot of those, but we're fucking snobs out West... ;p

Hydro, though, is universal. Especially thanks to Trailer Park Boys, when Ricky is trying to barter with BC hydroponic weed, calling it "... an ounce of BC Hydro"

allegro
04-02-2013, 01:46 PM
"Loonie" and "Toonie" are just the names of the coins, no different than calling a 5-cent piece a nickel or 10-cent piece a dime.
No, but a loonie is ON the coin, right? A toonie is just a funny spinoff of that. I have NO fucking idea why we call it a nickel or a dime.

This Canada Eh take off you hoser stuff reminds me of the U.P. at home in Michigan. (The Upper Peninsula.) There are signs for "pasties" everywhere and those foreign to the area think: (a) they're pronounced "PASTE-ies" like the ones that strippers wear (incorrect: they're "PAST-ies") and (b) they're pasties, like the ones that strippers wear (incorrect: they're meat pies). http://www.upper-peninsula-now.com/pasties.html. Eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4KwNpj9M9I

You guys have something called a "Caesar." there. which is like our Bloody Mary except Clamato instead of V8.

botley
04-03-2013, 05:37 PM
Caesars are fucking delicious. I once emptied some Clamato out of one of those big two-litre bottles, filled the rest up with vodka and hot sauce, and passed that sucker around the campfire so we could all drink right from the fucking mouth of it. I can also confirm that "Hogtown" is a thing. They used to march hogs to market down Yonge St.

The animal on the "loonie" is a Loon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loon). When the "toonie" was first introduced, an alternate and somewhat less pleasing name that some bandied about for it was the "dubloonie". Thankfully that didn't catch on.

Fixer808
04-03-2013, 08:34 PM
Caesars are amazing. Hard to drink a lot of 'em, though... So salty!

Fixer808
04-11-2013, 01:55 AM
Everything I hear from the BC Liberal party sounds hilariously desperate. Not counting chickens here, and it's not like the NDP is THAT much better, but here's hoping for a bit of a change from Crash Gordon and Christie "Insert Joke Name Here" Clark's reigns of ineptitude.

october_midnight
04-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Umm, what?

@QMINews: BREAKING - RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson says Mounties will work with Anonymous on Parsons case.

Fixer808
04-12-2013, 07:10 PM
http://dayofthejedi.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/27.jpg
Seriously, though, that is one weird combination of words...

ibanez33
04-14-2013, 03:58 PM
Umm, what?

@QMINews: BREAKING - RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson says Mounties will work with Anonymous on Parsons case.

How the fuck...? Wow. Good work, RCMP, this makes you look very confident in your job, bringing on random strangers from the internet to do your shit for you.

Fixer808
04-21-2013, 02:48 PM
Dear Surrey, I was in you for THREE MINUTES last night before you lived up to your reputation. Stepping off the Skytrain to go to a roller derby event, I was walking down the stairs to the arena when someone threw a full can of beer at some dude, who had to be held back by his girlfriend while he shouted "I'LL FUCKIN' SEE YOU OUTSIDE, DUDE, I'MA KICK YOUR FUCKIN' TEETH OUT!!" as she said "DEREK, STOP IT. STOP IT. DEREK, STOP."

Stay classy, Surrey...

Fixer808
05-14-2013, 11:27 PM
Fuck. BC Liberal Party reelected with a majority. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.
For those who are unaware, the only thing they're liberal about is bungling shit and fucking people over.

ManBurning
05-14-2013, 11:54 PM
Yep, fucked again. This Province is too afraid of change. As long as we get Harper out in the next Federal election, we'll be on the right track. But once again, everyone is afraid of change even though Harper will be the downfall of this country.

marodi
05-15-2013, 11:30 AM
Yep, fucked again. This country is too afraid of change. And Harper will be elected again in the next Federal election and we'll be even more fucked. But once again, everyone is afraid of change even though Harper will be the downfall of this country.

Fixed.

Trudeau is cute but that's about all he has. And Mulcair isn't Jack Layton so...

Deepvoid
05-15-2013, 11:53 AM
Trudeau doesn't have the experience yet. He would make a fool out of himself on the international level.
He's still a kid ...

ManBurning
05-15-2013, 12:52 PM
Trudeau may be worse than Harper (if that is even possible) anyway...

http://thecanadian.org/item/2066-justin-trudeau-more-dangerous-stephen-harper-politics-keystone-xl-fipa-nexen-damien-gillis

I used to think Trudeau would be the breath of fresh air this country needs, as he's young and "with it" but I no longer agree with that naive opinion of mine once reading more up on the guy.

I know Harper will get in again, unfortunately as look who he's going up against. Mulclair doesn't have a following like Layton did, so the NDP will probably do even worse next federal election than they did on the last one. I haven't really heard Mulclair's name in the news since he became the political party, what the hell is the guy even doing to get his name out there?

swindley
06-06-2013, 10:56 PM
Home, sweet home. But something tells me my political allegiances will bring down some ire upon me, so I will just keep this trap shut.

marodi
06-07-2013, 07:04 PM
Home, sweet home. But something tells me my political allegiances will bring down some ire upon me, so I will just keep this trap shut.

Hey, I'm a die hard independentist; not exactly popular around these parts. You're very welcomed to share your opinions, I'm sure it would make a very interesting read. I probably would not agree but still... ;)

In the mean time: what's your opinion on Tim Horton's coffee? I love that stuff. :D

ibanez33
06-09-2013, 05:14 PM
It's not bad but honestly I think McDonalds has better coffee.

october_midnight
06-09-2013, 05:47 PM
YES. McDonald's coffee is my favorite hands down. Tim Horton's coffee is overrated. Not as bad as some yutzes say, but it's not that great.

Fixer808
06-09-2013, 07:07 PM
Yeah, it's just not that good, especially considering that's ALL they used to do. You'd think they'd have gotten it right by now. Same with the doughnuts, they're just "meh".

botley
06-09-2013, 07:46 PM
Honestly, if you're going to get fast food coffee, you may as well just go to 7/11... they at least have a bunch of shit you can put in there to mask the taste of it.

marodi
06-10-2013, 11:38 AM
Oh great, you don't like it. More for me then! *takes a sip*

The trick is to figure out the right ratio for sugar/cream (not milk; never milk) to coffee. For Tim, I find that this is the best: xlarge coffee with 3 cream and 3 sugar. I agree that the donuts are bleh but the cranberry blueberry bran muffin is awesome.

McD's coffee isn't bad, it's just that I haven't figured out the correct ratio sugar/cream for it yet. However, they have the fabulous mango/pineapple smoothie which is just heaven.

As you can see, my knowledge of fast food drinks is quite extensive. That's because that's pretty much all I get from those places; since I've had my surgery two years ago, the food there doesn't agree with my new minuscule stomach. One doesn't lose nearly 150 pounds without reasons.

I need one of those Keurig coffee machines...

ibanez33
06-10-2013, 04:02 PM
I need one of those Keurig coffee machines...

I have one, it's amazing. Definitely get the re-fillable cups though, or at least buy the cups in those huge boxes of 100, because they're fucking expensive. The first little while we had it at my house we were going through about 20-30 cups a week, and buying them in the little 12- or 18-packs works out to almost $1 per cup. after a month or 2 of that we got a few of those re-usable cups so we can just load them with our own coffee which is insanely cheap. We also get the 100-cup cases from Costco so we have ready-made ones for when we're too lay to wash the reusable ones, they're around $60 for the case I think.

thelastdisciple
06-11-2013, 09:56 AM
I'm definitely not a coffee aficionado but i like my Tim's

As Canadian comedian Ron James says....

"May i say Timmies whatever nicotine, MSG, coconut oil concoction you're spiking that industrial strength rot-gut........... BRING IT ON! 'cause the hit from a mitt full peyote buttons blessed by time-travelin' shamans has nothing on that righteous kick in the ass coming your way after a tumbler of Tim Horton's shape shifting rocket fuel"

EDIT: and i just realized i already posted this on the first page LMAO!

Oh and before i forget, guess who is on CNN now!

http://youtu.be/ROTlF55ZOEc

mfte
06-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Ughhh I hate Tim Horton's

Let's go to Timmys. Anyone wanna go to Timmy's?. Going to Timmy's anyone wants anything? NO. It's crap. The coffee tastes like ash water and you can get a better bagel at ANY other bagel place, like bagel stop. It is stiched so tightly within the Canadian identity it makes me something something.

McDonalds has the best coffee, 7 Elven as well which I found surpirsing.

The Rob Ford news feed has slowed down to a crawl. I guess he won.

thelastdisciple
06-21-2013, 08:53 AM
Many places in Alberta are under some crazy flooding right now.

Worst I've ever seen in Calgary.

Fixer808
06-21-2013, 02:26 PM
I saw that! Fucking nuts, saw video of the #1 after it had been washed out somewhere yesterday.

Fixer808
07-01-2013, 02:02 AM
Oh, hey, so like happy Canada Day, y'all.

ibanez33
07-01-2013, 09:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_RPp4dbam8

Arrogant Worms all day. It's 8am and I'm already getting violent threats from my brother about it.

slave2thewage
07-01-2013, 10:12 AM
I hope you all have a polite Canada Day!

ManBurning
07-01-2013, 10:51 PM
It's a bloody hot day here in Canada, and it's AWESOME! What a great way to celebrate Canada Day, the weather (in Vancouver) couldn't have been any better! Looked like it was a pretty good day all across the country weather wise.

Happy Canada Day!

leo3375
07-02-2013, 12:31 AM
Saw some Canadians at the Twins game tonight. They were wearing flags and had their faces painted with red maple leafs. They were there both to celebrate Canada Day (in the United States) and to root for Canadian baseballer Justin Morneau. Happy Canada Day, you crazy Canucks!

marodi
07-02-2013, 10:26 AM
I hope you've all had a great Canada Day! As for myself, I had fun celebrating Moving Day by watching the new tenants move in to the downstairs apartment. They didn't hire "professionals" to move their stuff so they did struggle with the big appliances. The fridge was particularly entertaining.

thelastdisciple
07-03-2013, 10:20 PM
VERY NSFW but thought you guys might have a laugh like i did with this.

http://youtu.be/fBWAjn2a3rA

ibanez33
09-26-2013, 02:50 AM
VANCOUVER ETSERS!!! Science World is free this weekend, does anyone wanna meet up there and hang out and learn some cool stuff? I'm very lonely

ManBurning
10-13-2013, 09:05 PM
Happy Thanksgiving weekend to all Canadians!! With some spectacular mid October sunny weather here on the west coast, it's beautiful outside!

leo3375
10-13-2013, 09:17 PM
Canada, you're an awesome neighbor, but I think you owe the entire world an apology for this:

http://youtu.be/HEb8HGNMPao

ibanez33
11-05-2013, 03:11 PM
Vancouver police recover video of mayor smoking what appears to be salmon (http://www.thebeaverton.com/breaking-police-recover-video-of-vancouver-mayor-smoking-what-appears-to-be-salmon.htm)

october_midnight
11-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Currently sitting in Vancouver's newest craft beer house. Over 150 craft beers can't beat winning four tickets and a $200 bar tab! MOAR BEER PADDLES.

Warped_Savant
11-09-2013, 09:12 AM
Currently sitting in Vancouver's newest craft beer house. Over 150 craft beers can't beat winning four tickets and a $200 bar tab! MOAR BEER PADDLES.
Where is that? I need to pick up a Christmas gift or two...

october_midnight
11-09-2013, 09:57 AM
Where is that? I need to pick up a Christmas gift or two...

85 West 1st Ave - Salt Building, Olympic Village

Website. (http://vancouver.craftbeermarket.ca/)

It's really a great place, going again with the wife and some friends tonight after I'm off work, and hopefully it's not too crazy. I won the tickets and bar tab for when we went on Wednesday night but the next night was the grand opening to the public and apparently the lineup to get in was bonkers. Worth it though, and the food is nuts too...

thelastdisciple
11-10-2013, 03:34 AM
There's a huge run down of what all went down across Canada this weekend in regards to the Futureshop/Best Buy trade-in deal.

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/11/09/boxing-day-like-pandemonium-at-futureshop-and-bestbuy-locations-after-free-game-deal/ (http://business.financialpost.com/2013/11/09/boxing-day-like-pandemonium-at-futureshop-and-bestbuy-locations-after-free-game-deal/?__lsa=cdb2-4438)

Warped_Savant
11-15-2013, 01:08 PM
Perfect! Thanks.
I'll have to check it out.

october_midnight
12-11-2013, 09:49 AM
Canada Post to lay off 6,000-8,000 people, increase cost of single stamp to $1 in March, and eliminate door-to-door mail delivery; move to 'community mailboxes'. (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/canada-post-delivery/article15868531/?click=tglobe)

ManBurning
12-11-2013, 11:36 PM
Canada Post to lay off 6,000-8,000 people, increase cost of single stamp to $1 in March, and eliminate door-to-door mail delivery; move to 'community mailboxes'. (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/canada-post-delivery/article15868531/?click=tglobe)

I just came here myself to post that... but you already did. I have many issues with this like:

This is bad news for people who share a house (like basement and upstairs split) because they are only going to designate 1 mail slot per house and only 1 key per house will be given out. Like my situation for instance. The neighbours will get first priority, being on the upper level. I don't trust them with our mail as it is, giving them complete control over walking down the street to the box and opening the box and trusting them to bring our mail back for us... yeah, that's not gonna go over so well.

And for giant parcels that won't fit into the small box, what's going to happen to those? Are they just going to leave a "sorry we missed you, go pick it up here" delivery notification for everything that doesn't fit into the box? That's kinda silly... That's just going to inconvienece people. People generally work durning pickup business hours at those pickup outlets.

Not to mention the workers... I'm glad I never persued my dream to be a CPC mail carrier. Goddamn, I got into CPC a few years ago as a "x-mas temp" and they claimed this was how to get into the company, but they didn't give me any work for 3 weeks after my orientation and they would give you 1-2 days notice when you were getting a shift, which wasn't enough time to plan around other jobs and priorities you had. I basically just never went. It was bullshit hours, and wasn't stable at all. For like housewives or unemployed people waiting around at home for the phone to ring, yeah, it was great! Not for someone was was trying to get a career change to get into another job. No stable hours, not enough notification for shifts etc... total waste of time.

But, I wonder how the workers feel about this. Alot of them really enjoy getting exercise on the job. I mean, how awesome is throwing on your ipod and going for a 3-4 hour walk per day. I heard they only work up to 3-4 hrs a day.

And what about people like seniors who cannot leave their house for the life of them? They're not gonna brave the elements (rain, snow, ice) to walk down the street to get their mail. My grandmother needs to take a cab everywhere when she leaves the house, she can't walk down the street on her own. They can't except to get rid of home delivery for people like that, that's bullshit.

I think if they want to cut down on delivery service, fine by me... How about every other day? Monday, Wednesday and Friday... or twice a week Monday and Friday... or Tuesday and Thursday... cutting it out altogether it a bad idea.

The alternative option is to get a P.O. box, but alot of places don't deliver to P.O. boxes and want a physical mailing address.. This is just a bloody bad idea altogether.

Fixer808
12-12-2013, 07:34 AM
I have experience, growing up rural, with those big brown postboxes. Parcels, up to a certain dimension, are delivered to your box. Not to your individual box in the big postbox, but to a larger, parcel box.

If you are receiving a parcel, you will open up your personal letterbox with your key and discover another key on a large fob inside your box.

You take that key, open the parcel box, take your delivery, close the box, and drop the parcel box key in the mailslot of the brown box.

Simpler than how I described it, because I'm drunk as FUCK!! Office xmas party, yo.

marodi
12-12-2013, 12:18 PM
So we're losing door to door mail delivery but...

Baseball may come back to Montreal (http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/baseball/Baseball+could+return+Montreal+with+stadium/9278693/story.html)

I cried tears of joy. I'm trying not to hope too much but I can't help it. Nos Amours!!!

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd119/marodi511/a4bfd07f-40bf-44ae-a439-d2635c5db0e3_zpsb65af1c6.jpg

Fixer808
12-20-2013, 03:14 PM
Weird, Vancouver drivers seem to be handling the snow better than in previous winters... Granted, I only ducked out in it for an hour to go xmas shopping.

ManBurning
12-20-2013, 10:41 PM
Weird, Vancouver drivers seem to be handling the snow better than in previous winters... Granted, I only ducked out in it for an hour to go xmas shopping.

X-mas shopping 5 days before the holiday, you are hilarious!

I hope the snow goes away soon though, it's the one bit of weather that really gets me up in arms. I hate snow so much.

Fixer808
12-20-2013, 11:01 PM
This is EARLY for me! Although, I don't have much to get, like 9 people. Only have my grandparents left to buy for! Most of the family is getting gift cards except for grandparents and 2yr old niece. I got her a stuffed lemur kinda like this one because lemurs are pretty cute:
http://archshrk.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/stuffed-lemur.jpg

22 months old and smart as a whip, I'll get her something musical next year, or for her birthday! At 16 months kids are supposed to have around 20 solid words apparently, and my sister estimated she had around 100. Doesn't surprise me, she correctly used the word "though", apparently.
Her older cousin: "Did you bring your teddy bear?"
Niece: "I don't have a teddy bear. I have a bunny, though."

Thankfully, my sister and her husband have been successfully curtailing the cursing, because she picks up on everything. The other day: "It's frickin' cold!"

october_midnight
02-01-2014, 10:54 AM
Toronto mayor Rob "A Beautiful Mind" Ford visits Vancouver for a funeral, promptly gets ticketed for public intoxication. (http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/01/rob-ford-allegedly-ticketed-jaywalking-public-intoxication-burnaby/)

Prowulf
02-11-2014, 11:51 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/sochi-team-canada-free-beer-drink/story?id=22461979

ibanez33
02-21-2014, 05:14 AM
Canadian womens hockey teams goal post right now:

http://i.imgur.com/5gjXVxy.jpg

ibanez33
02-23-2014, 05:17 AM
Gold medal game in less than an hour! Anybody else getting/staying up early to watch it?

*edit* 2-0 at the end of the 2nd and it's snowing the hardest it has all Winter, I think this means we're gonna win.

Dra508
02-23-2014, 09:42 AM
I hear there was so many Canadians fans in Socchi it was almost like they were the home team for many events.

Winter Is Coming
02-23-2014, 09:48 AM
Yeah, this was kind of a big deal up here this morning...

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/02/23/canada-sweden-hockey-line-ups-olympics_n_4841678.html

DF118
03-31-2014, 04:48 PM
I'm in Toronto for a week. Toronto, I say!

Canadians talk funny. But then, I'm from Scotland, so, eh.

Fixer808
03-31-2014, 09:11 PM
Visit Nova Scotia, it'll be a little close to what you're used to.

ibanez33
04-01-2014, 02:12 AM
Visit Nova Scotia, it'll be a little close to what you're used to.

Mostly Irish out there, actually. But yeah.

Canuckle
04-01-2014, 02:45 PM

Canadians talk funny. But then, I'm from Scotland, so, eh.

Tough week to be in TO. Leafs eulogy from Saturday night and not much else going on.

Lots of neat things to do still. You can visit the AGO for free on Wednesday night! http://www.ago.net/how-to-visit-for-free

Highly recommend taking a stroll through the various Toronto villages and visiting the breweries over any of the tourist traps...

Timinator
04-01-2014, 08:31 PM
Mostly Irish out there, actually. But yeah.It's funny. The Scots influence is high: there's a New Glasgow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Glasgow,_Nova_Scotia), they have highland games, they made North America's first single malt whisky (http://www.glenoradistillery.com/), and Nova Scotia = latin for New Scotland.

However the accent got taken over by the Irish Gaelic influence. I've had plenty of people ask me whether I was Irish, even when I lived in the UK.

botley
04-02-2014, 12:15 PM

Canadians talk funny. But then, I'm from Scotland, so, eh.Hey, welcome!

Tough week to be in TO. Leafs eulogy from Saturday night and not much else going on.

Lots of neat things to do still. You can visit the AGO for free on Wednesday night! http://www.ago.net/how-to-visit-for-free

Highly recommend taking a stroll through the various Toronto villages and visiting the breweries over any of the tourist traps...
Or, try one of these many awesome live events: http://torontoist.com/2014/04/urban-planner-april-2-2014/

thelastdisciple
04-24-2014, 06:53 PM
Let's talk about those gas prices..... O_O

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bl_375hCAAEob0f.png:large

Fixer808
04-24-2014, 07:14 PM
Ouch... All the more reason to repair my scooter.

marodi
05-28-2014, 06:19 PM
Way to go, Ottawa! (http://www.vocativ.com/culture/fun/town-built-huge-memorial-wrong-guy/)

I saw this article on George Takei's FB page which means that it has been seen by a lot of people. My take on what those things are: they're UHF antennas.

I had one just like that back in the 80s on my first TV.

marodi
06-24-2014, 01:42 PM
It's la Saint-Jean-Baptiste and I'm celebrating by getting high on caffeine. Vive la poutine libre!

marodi
06-30-2014, 09:07 PM
Happy Canada day everyone (a bit in advance though). As a gift I leave you this link which will make you LOL hard:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tanyachen/americans-fail-canada-again?bffb

ManBurning
07-01-2014, 01:53 AM
Happy Canada day everyone (a bit in advance though). As a gift I leave you this link which will make you LOL hard:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tanyachen/americans-fail-canada-again?bffb

THANK YOU!! I've been waiting for this version for months. Someone posted the "What did the UK label the US states as" on facebook a few months ago and I searched and searched and searched for anything involving another country's stab at the Canadian Provinces. This is awesome.

And Happy Canada day, Enjoy that 32C degree forcast tomorrow you lucky duck!!! As mentioned on the "weather" thread, we SERIOUSLY need to trade weather NOW!
I'm shocked you don't like that weather. It's like the only thing worth living for.

Omega
07-01-2014, 04:55 AM
American here will try to name provinces without looking at answers.

British Columbia-capital, Vancouver
Yukon Territories
Northwest Territories
Nunavut
Nova Scotia, capital...starts with an H?
New Foundland
Quebec-captial, Montreal
Alberta- captital, Edmonton? Or is it Calgary?
Saskatchewan
Ontario- Toronto captial, or Ottawa but perhaps Ottawa is the national capital and Toronto is the capital of the province?

Other things Canadian

Hockey teams I can think of:

Montreal Canadiens
Toronto Maple Leafs
Vancouver Canucks?
Capitals? Ottawa?
Edmonton Oilers
Calgary Flames

I don't know who the Prime Minister is though but is from the Labor party? If there is a Labor party, lol.

Canada got their own flag...in the 60s or 70s? No longer the British flag.

There are different grades of maple syrup, a and b. A lighter, b darker?

Celsius>Fahrenheit, Fahrenheit is for losers and doesn't make sense.

That's all I can think of, eh?

Happy Canada Day and sorry about the Cup this year:(.

Edit, perhaps Labor party is British but there's a party that starts with an 'L'.

Fixer808
07-01-2014, 06:37 AM
My corrections or comments in bold:

British Columbia-capital, Vancouver Victoria
Yukon Territories
Northwest Territories
Nunavut
Nova Scotia, capital...starts with an H? Halifax
Newfoundland
Quebec-captial, Montreal Quebec City
Saskatchewan
Ontario- Toronto captial, or Ottawa but perhaps Ottawa is the national capital and Toronto is the capital of the province?

Other things Canadian

Hockey teams I can think of:

Montreal Canadiens
Toronto Maple Leafs
Vancouver Canucks?
Capitals? Ottawa?
Edmonton Oilers
Calgary Flames

I don't know who the Prime Minister is though but is from the Labor party? If there is a Labor party, lol.

Canada got their own flag...in the 60s or 70s? No longer the British flag. "The Canadian Red Ensign (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Red_Ensign) had been unofficially used since the 1890s and was approved by a 1945 Order in Council (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_in_Council) for use "wherever place or occasion may make it desirable to fly a distinctive Canadian flag"."

There are different grades of maple syrup, a and b. A lighter, b darker?

Celsius>Fahrenheit, Fahrenheit is for losers and doesn't make sense.

That's all I can think of, eh?

Happy Canada Day and sorry about the Cup this year:(.

Edit, perhaps Labor party is British but there's a party that starts with an 'L'. Prime Minister Stephen Harper is head of the Conservative Party, but there is a Federal Liberal Party. Harper is also a dick.
Well done. Thanks for the Canada Day wishes!

marodi
07-01-2014, 11:52 AM
And Happy Canada day, Enjoy that 32C degree forcast tomorrow you lucky duck!!! As mentioned on the "weather" thread, we SERIOUSLY need to trade weather NOW!
I'm shocked you don't like that weather. It's like the only thing worth living for.

I wish I had the super power to make that trade with you, I really do! I'm so miserable right now.

At least that link was fun. Mark Buffalo and Frost Giants were awesome! :D

And @Omega (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=4154) : you are very very good; congrats! Many Canadians do know as much as you do I'm sure. And Fixer's right: Harper is a dick.

ManBurning
07-01-2014, 01:46 PM

British Columbia-capital, Vancouver
Yukon Territories
Northwest Territories
Nunavut
Nova Scotia, capital...starts with an H?
New Foundland
Quebec-captial, Montreal
Saskatchewan

Everyone forgets about Manitoba... But that's fine. Nothing there anyway. It's like the North Dakota/Minnesota of the USA. Nothing but snow and cold there.
So whoever labeled Map 11's Manitoba as "COLD" is spot on. I would give them correct points for that answer.

marodi
07-01-2014, 05:54 PM
Dear fellow Canucks, if you're into genealogy ancestry.ca has free access to all records today, Canada Day. There's still time to look around a bit!

http://home.ancestry.ca/

allegro
09-10-2014, 09:37 PM
Um, wtf ...

http://i.imgur.com/JZTvWr3.jpg

icecream
09-11-2014, 12:35 AM
Add to Fixer's corrections, we have a Hockey team in Winnipeg too, The Winnipeg Jets, (formerly the Atlanta Thrashers).
And the Labour party in UK is probably more equivalent to our New Democratic Party, (both associated with Socialists International). The Liberal Party of Canada is more equivalent to the UK's Liberal Democrats.

ManBurning
01-05-2015, 11:29 PM
Anyone aware of the new "Notice and Notice" law that went into effect on January 2nd that require all Canadian ISP's and VPN's to track, log and send out notices to those who are downloading movies, TV shows and music torrents now?

https://torrentfreak.com/canadian-isps-vpns-now-alert-pirating-customers-150102/

Wondering what everyone's take on this is. Have you, or someone you know received a notice? I had a friend post on facebook today he received 2 notices so far.
Basically, Under the new law Internet providers are required to forward copyright notices they receive from rightsholders to their customers. Providers who do not comply, including VPN services, face damages up to $10,000.

marodi
02-24-2015, 04:05 PM
Okay so which one of you little prankster has dug the tunnel in Toronto?

Timinator
11-10-2015, 03:55 AM
Awake, Canada thread! Because in a few weeks I'm back, possibly for good, having departed in early 2001.

ManBurning
11-10-2015, 03:28 PM
Awake, Canada thread! Because in a few weeks I'm back, possibly for good, having departed in early 2001.

Wow, what makes you want to come back?
Should have waited til Spring though... enjoy one last Australian summer. Don't come back now! It's winter time!

Timinator
11-10-2015, 07:37 PM
Wow, what makes you want to come back? A mother-in-law with leukemia. She's still doing reasonably well but she's in her mid-70s. My wife and I don't want to wait until she's on her deathbed to spend time with her. My parents aren't getting any younger either.

Plus we have a son that's almost 2, and all our families are in Canada.

I've lived in the UK and Australia and traveled the world. I feel OK about going back now. It's time. And my employer is happy for me to transfer there, so my job is set: that's a big plus.

I'm glad that Harper shit got sorted out first though.

Timinator
12-08-2015, 11:50 AM
Alright, I've now been resident in Halifax since last Friday. So far, so good. I'm actually quite enjoying being back. Weather isn't too shit yet.

marodi
12-19-2015, 01:54 PM
So, who wants to ban the Donald and his bad toupee from entering Canada? I've already signed because I hate the guy. And for shit and giggles, of course.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/504/652/644/demand-donald-trump-be-banned-from-entering-canada-for-promoting-hate-propaganda/?cid=fb_LG_AdsBanTrumpCanada&src=facebook_ads&campaign=sign_504652644&z00m=27231469

halloween
12-24-2015, 11:51 AM
Bon jour Canadiens, I'm going to be visiting Québec City this weekend and I've made a pretty loose plan for myself in terms of what to see during the two and half days I'm there, but nonetheless would like to have more suggestions! Places to eat, bars with live music at night, anything else, etc. I did find a bar that had Drag performances that are apparently well reviewed/rated so I'm looking forward to that on Sunday. Merci!

Dra508
01-19-2016, 04:51 PM
https://hbr.org/2015/12/getting-to-si-ja-oui-hai-and-da

Honest question Canadians - what's your negotiating style. The video in this article only mentions Canadians as being similar to US folks, true?

Timinator
01-20-2016, 08:28 AM
I would say there's more difference between individuals than there is between Americans and Canadians when it comes to business negotiations. So you can treat everyone mostly the same.

Dra508
01-20-2016, 03:44 PM
I would say there's more difference between individuals than there is between Americans and Canadians when it comes to business negotiations. So you can treat everyone mostly the same.Thanks.....

DF118
02-21-2016, 05:34 PM
I'm in Toronto again this week for a business trip! Anyone from Toronto want to meet up and do things one evening?

Edit: This would surely involve alcohol, incidentally.

Dra508
02-23-2016, 04:09 AM
I'm in Toronto again this week for a business trip! Anyone from Toronto want to meet up and do things one evening?

Edit: This would surely involve alcohol, incidentally.

You missed me by two weeks [emoji58]

botley
02-25-2016, 05:00 PM
Anyone from Toronto want to meet up and do things one evening?
If the answer to this is "yes" and you are not myself and @pequena (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=14) (we're also coming out), please come have a beer or something else with us tonight beginning at 10pm in the Cadillac Lounge!

It's cold as fuck outside so maybe we'll order hot toddies?

cashpiles (closed)
02-25-2016, 08:15 PM
^^^cool. Anyone in Vancouver? I'm living here. Let's visit some nature spots or go to an amateur strip show (Rent Cheque night) or something.

aggroculture
08-03-2017, 06:33 PM
So anyway on Sunday we moved to Canada.

Observations so far: Tim Hortons <<<<<<<<<< Starbucks, unless I'm doing it wrong and there's something special I should be ordering. Swiss Chalet = pretty gross but the gravy is interesting. The 401 is a shitty road. Montreal = food is great, bilingualism is a bit confusing so far, bureacracy is a lot more efficient than the US. But yeah, yay.

Dra508
08-03-2017, 09:33 PM

Observations so far: Tim Hortons <<<<<<<<<< Starbucks, unless I'm doing it wrong and there's something special I should be ordering. Swiss Chalet = pretty gross but the gravy is interesting. The 401 is a shitty road. Montreal = food is great, bilingualism is a bit confusing so far, bureacracy is a lot more efficient than the US. But yeah, yay.

Trump run you out?

theimage13
08-03-2017, 09:40 PM

Montreal, aka the only place in Canada I'm not super fond of. Working there (at least, in my profession) is a huge challenge if you don't speak French, and even if you try, if you're not that great you get treated pretty poorly.

Rest of the country? Pretty much the most hospitable people I've ever met, time and time again. I would absolutely love to move north, and not because of who's in the Oval Office at the moment. I just think Canada, as a whole, has better priorities than America.

Also, Tim Hortons > Starbucks. All day, every day. But that's just the opinion of someone who never "got" the appeal of Starbucks.

thelastdisciple
08-03-2017, 11:12 PM

All you need to know LOL

Ron James said it best.

Oh yeah and you gotta love this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIKYfPwfGL8

aggroculture
08-04-2017, 01:05 PM
Trump run you out?

That was a part of it, yep.
Also, my wife never felt at home in the Midwest and hated her job, so she applied to a Canadian job and got it.

Montreal, aka the only place in Canada I'm not super fond of. Working there (at least, in my profession) is a huge challenge if you don't speak French, and even if you try, if you're not that great you get treated pretty poorly.

Rest of the country? Pretty much the most hospitable people I've ever met, time and time again. I would absolutely love to move north, and not because of who's in the Oval Office at the moment. I just think Canada, as a whole, has better priorities than America.

Also, Tim Hortons > Starbucks. All day, every day. But that's just the opinion of someone who never "got" the appeal of Starbucks.

I do speak French, it's a bit rusty though. What throws me so far is the constant switching, and when they hear you struggle with French, sometimes people switch to English. My daughter (4 1/2) needs to learn French from scratch! I'm sure in a few months she and I will be fine. For the moment I'll be looking for English-language speaking jobs...
As for priorities...well, we'll have national healthcare by October.

ManBurning
08-18-2018, 12:25 AM
Anyone living in the Vancouver/BC area will get a HUGE kick out of this. The rest of Canada will probably get a good chuckle as well.

Make sure your volume is turned on. It's a parody of the city of Vancouver to the theme of Full House.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmhYpPlH1XI/?hl=en&taken-by=seabusmemes

Lew
10-26-2019, 03:48 PM
omfg, with the cons bleating this "we didn't lost the election! we pre-won the next election. hopefully.".
and some of the papers "he may have won the election, but now he must regain the trust of canada"...derpy fucking doo...dude already, clearly, has enough trust from canadians to have his ass re elected.
the spinning in this country is comical, fucking sad and mind boggling some days.
and don't @ me. i didn't vote for baby trudeau and i didn't vote for the gilded oil slick.
i was hoping to vote for the youth party but they don't exist yet....
soon. (typed in reznor font, of course).