PDA

View Full Version : Cosmopolis - New Cronenberg Movie

NIN64
04-25-2012, 07:53 AM
http://youtu.be/dS9jc3BnLRc

Looks like a good old fashioned fucked up Cronenberg movie. Call me interested. . .

thevoid99
04-25-2012, 02:43 PM
This has the feel of an old-school Cronenberg film. I will totally see this.

henryeatscereal
04-25-2012, 02:49 PM
The *** from Twilight is in this? mmmmmmmmh :/ ...at least Paul Giamatti is on board!

aggroculture
04-25-2012, 02:51 PM
fag

We don't use language like that around here.

henryeatscereal
04-25-2012, 04:45 PM
We don't use language like that around here.
ok rephrase: the guy who eats dicks and loves Justin Bieber is in this? WTF?

Leviathant
04-25-2012, 04:51 PM
Try again.

GibbonBlack
04-25-2012, 05:17 PM
it looks like Cronenberg has gotten some acting out of him

hobochic
04-25-2012, 05:29 PM
it looks like Cronenberg has gotten some acting out of him

I hope so. To me he appeared to have the same blank stare as always.

onthewall2983
04-25-2012, 05:54 PM
ok rephrase: the guy who eats dicks and loves Justin Bieber is in this? WTF?

What proof do you have that he's a very specific cannibal with bad taste in music?

marodi
04-25-2012, 05:59 PM
The "meh" is strong with this trailer.

I hope so. To me he appeared to have the same blank stare as always.

Agreed.

aggroculture
04-25-2012, 06:16 PM
This looks terrible, even the trailer was boring as fuck. After A Dangerous Method, I think I have pretty much written off Cronenberg for good. The only two DC movies I actively like are Existenz and A History of Violence. And Crash and Naked Lunch are up there with the worst.
Sarah Gadon is smoking hot though.

GibbonBlack
04-25-2012, 06:27 PM
This looks terrible, even the trailer was boring as fuck. After A Dangerous Method, I think I have pretty much written off Cronenberg for good. The only two DC movies I actively like are Existenz and A History of Violence. And Crash and Naked Lunch are up there with the worst.
Sarah Gadon is smoking hot though.

no Fly love?

aggroculture
04-25-2012, 06:33 PM
Should check out The Fly again soon. Probably been 20 years since I last saw it.

Jinsai
04-25-2012, 06:44 PM
Should check out The Fly again soon. Probably been 20 years since I last saw it.

The Fly, Videodrome, Dead Ringers, The Dead Zone, and Scanners are classics.

hellospaceboy
05-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Speaking of classics: the Brood is one of the best sci-fi horror films ever made.

And those who hate on Robert Pattinson should grow up.
Remember the outrage in the late 90's when George Lucas almost cast Leonardo Dicaprio in Episode 1?! He was looked at as just a pretty face/12 year old girl's wet dream from Titanic, and if I remember correctly the backlash from Star Wars fans actually prevented his involvement in the new trilogy. But nobody thinks of him that way anymore! We ate up Inception like it was chocolate cake!
Times change, and most people don't even know that back in the day Johnny Depp was just a teen idol from a 3rd rate TV show...

So I'll give "the Twilight guy" a chance. I also trust Cronenberg as a filmmaker.

onthewall2983
05-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Yeah, that kind of hate for actors is stupid. I knew Leo was going to do great things when I saw him in Romeo + Juliet. Plus, as I understand it Robert also dabbles in music and Van Morrison is his biggest influence. Anybody in their 20's who thinks of him in that high of regard has my respect.

Reznor2112
05-01-2012, 09:05 PM
The *** from Twilight is in this? mmmmmmmmh :/ ...at least Paul Giamatti is on board!

no offense but you are an idiot for that comment. Rob Pattinson is actually a very good actor outside of the Twihard realm. Very stoked to see this for 2 reasons.

henryeatscereal
05-01-2012, 09:08 PM
no offense but you are an idiot for that comment. Rob Pattinson is actually a very good actor outside of the Twihard realm. Very stoked to see this for 2 reasons.
uh... im not offended, i guess... name a good movie he has done

Reznor2112
05-01-2012, 09:12 PM
uh... im not offended, i guess... name a good movie he has done

Not a great movie but being a director and graduating with a a film degree this year I say he was a great actor in Remember Me. And I believe he will be awesome in this.

If he had never been in Twilight, every director would be casting this guy everywhere. I would if I could afford em.

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
05-01-2012, 09:17 PM
If I recall correctly, DiCaprio turned down the role, for which he was never a lock in the first place.

(In any case, DiCaprio can't be anything but relieved today not to own that credit.)

henryeatscereal
05-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Not a great movie but being a director and graduating with a a film degree this year I say he was a great actor in Remember Me. And I believe he will be awesome in this.

If he had never been in Twilight, every director would be casting this guy everywhere. I would if I could afford em.
Haven't watched that one, i just know the "Twihard" movies, i think he's not only obnoxious but also a terrible actor but i could be wrong, Elija Wood, James Franco and the guy from Harry Potter are all great actors, i compare him to them because they all came form big movie franchises for kids and teens and they struggled for a little cred before moving to "bigger things", im still not crazy about him in a Cronenberg movie, but i hope he shows his great acting skills so i will stand corrected

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
05-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Pattinson shows promise but he's hardly had a showcase performance anyone could point to and say, "HERE, THIS GUY IS GOING TO BE SOMEONE."

Remember Me he was a wooden mask: barely serviceable, all surface. Part of this was the nature of the story (awful), part of this was Pattinson having some significant limitations in terms of emotional expression, in inhabiting the character, and with delivery. He didn't at all help what was already a rather dull flick. Water for Elephants was much better, but hardly a stand-out role for the guy.

BlueCalx
05-01-2012, 10:51 PM
I quite liked R-Pattz when he played Salvador Dali in Little Ashes. I saw that movie with my ex-girlfriend, a fan-fiction fiend whose favourite thing to do with any piece of media was to figure out which two dudes would make the hottest gay pair.

A friend of mine was an extra in this movie's rave scene. She's done tons of extra work before, and she said that Cronenberg was a consummate professional. I'm excited to see this, but it would take multiple threats on my life to get me to read DeLillo.

icklekitty
05-02-2012, 02:43 AM
I am both disturbed and intrigued. So, classic Cronenberg.

Also as a fellow Brit I can attest that Robert Pattinson is indeed a cigarette. Harmful around children, may cause cancer.

icklekitty
06-17-2012, 10:19 AM
I saw this a couple of days ago. LOVED it. I seem to be the only one though, judging from critic reviews!

hellospaceboy
06-17-2012, 11:14 AM
I can't wait to see it, unfortunately it's NOT coming to the multiplex near me... what a surprise, right? And it just dawned on me that while Cronenberg is my all time favorite filmmaker, I haven't actually seen any of his movies in theater :(

Sallos
06-19-2012, 01:15 PM
Every single friend i have has told me to stay away from this.

fillow
07-23-2012, 09:46 AM
Every single friend i have has told me to stay away from this.
They were absolutely right. Don't waste 2hrs of your life.

Lutz
08-04-2012, 12:42 AM
This movie is amazing in every regard. It electrified me from start to end.

Movie of the year?

littlemonkey613
08-04-2012, 04:27 PM
This movie is amazing in every regard. It electrified me from start to end.

Movie of the year?

Verdict on his acting?

Lutz
08-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Verdict on his acting?

If you want to be frightfully literal about it - Robert Pattinson playing a rich guy who spends an entire movie traveling across town to get a haircut is really just casting to type.

Alpha 60
08-15-2012, 01:43 PM
Anyone on here that has seen Cosmopolis also read the book. I am interested to see what people think of both movie and book. I’m just wondering if the people that don’t like the movie liked the book or vice versa. I’m a pretty big fan of a couple DeLillo books and a really big fan of Cronenberg so I’m psyched to see the movie. I’m hoping like Naked Lunch, that Cronenberg sort of molds the movie into its own thing. I’m hearing mostly negative stuff, so I was just wondering what your opinions on the DeLillo or Cronenberg are along with whether you liked the movie or not.

Lutz
08-15-2012, 09:57 PM
As a Cronenberg fan I think it might be my favourite of his to date.

I can't imagine what negative comments people would be making? Maybe the sort of tropes you hear from people who don't like movies with too much dialogue?

The Age posted a review that calls it "relentlessly shallow" but I think it would be slightly more in line to call it "hilariously shallow".

frankie teardrop
08-20-2012, 10:04 AM
i feel the shallowness, big time. i didn't really like the movie at all. my biggest issue is the way that the trailer spins it as cronenberg back to the mindfuck aspect of his earlier works, but in the end the character is such a shallow, insufferable prick that it's hard to care about his life or his choices. cronenberg obviously knows what he's doing behind the camera and commands good performances and great shots, but the subject matter and screenplay is what i find to be most unsatisfying, combined with expectations of a return to form.

aggroculture
08-21-2012, 10:55 AM
I'm going to pass on this. If I get bored during the trailer this is not a good sign for the movie itself. A Dangerous Method was so so bad that I'm just not down for giving Mr Cronenberg any of my money at the moment.

Lutz
08-22-2012, 04:40 AM
A good way to gauge if you'll like the narrative structure is if you enjoyed Inglorious Basterds. It's very similar in that it's a number of drawn out and stylised conversations filmed in an overtly cinematic way.

I've decided I can't wait for the bluray and I'm going to go see it again.

hellospaceboy
08-23-2012, 10:13 PM
where do you guys keep seeing this movie?!?! I'm dying to see it but it's not playing in the fucking multiplex near me...

onthewall2983
08-23-2012, 10:17 PM
Likely playing at art-house theaters. If you live in a metropolitan area, they are there if you look hard enough.

hellospaceboy
02-26-2013, 03:10 PM
Finally saw the movie, I was surprised to find it on the shelves in WalMart so I snatched up a copy.

While I understand why someone wouldn't like it, I really enjoyed it! I liked how strange it was, from the dialog to the story arc, everything. Yes, it is artsy, and perhaps even pretentious, but it was brave and different.

Wretchedest
02-26-2013, 03:32 PM
Yeah I thought this movie was one of the best movies last year. I don't get the comments about it being shallow, it seemed like it was pretty dynamic/deep.