PDA

View Full Version : Least favorite NIN Tracks

henryeatscereal
04-16-2012, 09:41 AM
*New Title - Least favorite NIN Tracks"* :o

Ok, i love all their songs just like you guys, but the discussion at the "MM - Born Villian" thread made me think about NIN's "weaker tracks"; in my humble opinion are these: (no particular order)

- Starfuckers INC.
- The Four of us are Dying
- Sunspots
- God Given
- Deep

*waits a rain of tomatoes*

fillow
04-16-2012, 10:23 AM
I think I'm gonna donate to ETS so I can facepalm the post above

Indefinite_Cure
04-16-2012, 10:25 AM
well I disagree with at least 4 out of those 5 songs you chose...

My least favourites would be :
Beside You in Time
Big Man With a Gun
Kinda I Want To
6 Ghosts I

mmm yeah that'S about it

BenAkenobi
04-16-2012, 10:40 AM
i used to like The wretched, now i don't feel it
also Ruiner and Terrible lie
---
i like God given, it has that special PHM vibe

Amaro
04-16-2012, 10:50 AM
also Ruiner...

Somebody fix this.

Necrodoommonkey
04-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Not So Pretty Now
The full band version of Non Entity. So much better on piano + drum loop.
Getting Smaller

zihark
04-16-2012, 10:59 AM
The Hand that Feeds, the weakest track (all NIN songs have a place in my barely, just barely slanted musical taste) IMO. Although I really liked its music video.
Not so pretty now is another one I never got really into.

henryeatscereal
04-16-2012, 11:03 AM
Not So Pretty Now
The full band version of Non Entity. So much better on piano + drum loop.
Getting Smaller
I expected controversy and i got it! "Getting Smaller" is a filler track but i like it but is not a "strong one" if you may, i didnt said i dont like those songs i just posting the "least best of", still i like to know you opinions so keep posting, or dont...

dlb
04-16-2012, 11:07 AM
As a foreigner I can look past certain lyrical mishaps so I enjoy the hell out of songs like starfuckers, inc., deep or getting smaller, but the only songs I truly dislike are:

the good soldier
capital g
zero-sum (if it wasn't for the chorus... the music's great so I switched it with an instrumental version)
right where it belongs (version)
big man with a gun

other than that there a couple of songs that I don't care about, but NIN has a pretty good bad songs/good songs ratio IMHO.

PhoenixML
04-16-2012, 11:33 AM
It should be renamed "Least favorite NIN songs".

All of Pretty Hate Machine except HLAH, Terrible Lie and Sin.

henryeatscereal
04-16-2012, 11:46 AM
Fair enough "Least favorite NIN songs" is the new title, still im going to get flamed :P

thevoid99
04-16-2012, 12:56 PM
For me, it's "Deep", "Not So Pretty Now", and "Getting Smaller". Largely because of the lyrics.

onthewall2983
04-16-2012, 01:04 PM
All of Pretty Hate Machine except HLAH, Terrible Lie and Sin.

Same here, but I like "Ringfinger" and "Something I Can Never Have", too. "Heresy", "Eraser" and "I Do Not Want This" immediately pop to mind.

henryeatscereal
04-16-2012, 01:07 PM
"Not so pretty now" is chosen a lot, interesting

BRoswell
04-16-2012, 03:46 PM
I hate this topic. It should be renamed "Least favorite NIN songs".

Agreed. I don't think there are any truly bad NIN songs. If I had to pick least favorites:

Purest Feeling
I Do Not Want This
All The Love In The World
The Warning
The Four Of Us Are Dying
The Day The World Went Away (Porter Ricks Mix)
Me, I'm Not (Olof Dreijer Mix)

Blackbookpress1984
04-16-2012, 04:11 PM
Favorites:

Capital g
Perfect drug
hurt
closer
the wretched
head like a hole

least favorites:
the day the whole world went away
a warm place
a violet fluid

that's all for now. at work and fending off a headache.

theruiner
04-16-2012, 05:13 PM
For me, it's "Deep", "Not So Pretty Now", and "Getting Smaller". Largely because of the lyrics.If I had to discount NIN songs because of lyrics, I would hate about 80% of the catalog.

Agreed. I don't think there are any truly bad NIN songs.You've obviously never heard The Slip.

Speaking of which- that's pretty much my answer. All of that album (save "1,000,000.") A lot of Year Zero. About half of The Fragile (I'll never get on board with "No, You Don't," "Starfuckers" or "Where Is Everybody?", among others). Other than that: gold.

BRoswell
04-16-2012, 05:19 PM
You've obviously never heard The Slip.

I have, and it's not a bad album, especially considering how quickly it came together. I can't see how any NIN fan could despise the whole thing, but then again, there are people who think everything that came after their favorite album was horrible, so...

theruiner
04-16-2012, 05:21 PM
I just think The Slip was horrible. And coming together fast isn't an excuse. If the product is bad, you just go back and work on it until it's good. No one was forcing him to throw it together in his garage over the course of a weekend during commercial breaks while watching the baseball playoffs.

hobochic
04-16-2012, 05:23 PM
For me, it's "Deep", "Not So Pretty Now", and "Getting Smaller". Largely because of the lyrics.

How can you dismiss these tracks for their lyrics?

Deep is NIN's embodiment of the cheesy 60's scifi movie poster with Black Holes & LOST IN SPACE! - plus, he sings everything in CAPS = awesome.

Not So Pretty Now - The most "Sonic Youth" NIN has ever sounded.

Getting Smaller - Pere Ubu reference + feedback, what more do you want?

The above three are solid tracks compared to stuff like:

Discipline - I've heard more captivating Britney Spears songs than this number. Not even the guitar saves the track, it's the same constant riff looping over and over again.

Something I can never have - Alright if you're in love for the first time and you're pushing 12 and you think you can write lyrics, go ahead. Go ahead and start a little band and dream of becoming a rockstar infront of your first love. If you're not that, don't do it.

Capital G - I don't remember who said this in the old ETS but I found it dead on... something along the lines of this track sounding like a little annoying kid prancing around in the kitchen. Now, even if the point of the song was to speak from an asshole's point of view doesn't excuse the fact that it is an annoying song, for the wrong reasons.

I can't think of anything else right now... 3 bad songs from the complete catalogue is not bad at all. Cheers

BRoswell
04-16-2012, 05:43 PM
And coming together fast isn't an excuse.

An excuse for what? I said I liked it in spite of it being put together quicker than the other albums. I'm not apologizing for Trent and Co. deciding to give themselves a goal and sticking to it. The album doesn't feel rushed to me. It seems like they put the same amount of effort that they normally do into The Slip, just in a shorter amount of time. I can understand not liking the sound of it, but to hate it because they didn't take years to make the album is...well...kind of silly.

If the product is bad, you just go back and work on it until it's good.

You know, unless they already thought it was good. Then they just release it for free for fans to pick apart because it's not the second coming of *insert favorite album here*.

The Slip isn't even close to being my favorite NIN album, but there's no way I can hate it. I can't hate any of the albums, because even if I don't think a particular song is sheer genius, it still manages to be better than 90% of the music that's out there, and that's a damn good percentage to be above.

No one was forcing him to throw it together in his garage over the course of a weekend during commercial breaks while watching the baseball playoffs.

Like I said, he didn't "throw it together". He just decided to set a goal and try to reach it. It wasn't like he was thinking "Fuck it, I should just record a bunch of shit." He gave it some serious thought and did it in the time he set aside to do it, and while that might have doomed a lot of other artists, the fact that The Slip is as good as it is just shows how talented the NIN crew are.

And again, if you don't like how it sounds (which I'm guessing might be the case, since you called a lot of Year Zero and at least half of The Fragile bad), that's cool. I just don't think it's anywhere near as bad as you make it sound.

AgentofChaos
04-16-2012, 05:48 PM
I just think The Slip was horrible. And coming together fast isn't an excuse. If the product is bad, you just go back and work on it until it's good. No one was forcing him to throw it together in his garage over the course of a weekend during commercial breaks while watching the baseball playoffs.

Not trying to single you out here but hating on The Slip like this really annoys me. It just seems like this easy cheap shot to take, and something people who constantly crave only TDS/The Fragile do after listening to it once or twice and then discarding it. I don't know, I mean it's ok for you not to like it, I just always hear the same zingy one liners ripping on the experiment but nobody ever actually makes reference to what specifically they didn't like about the it. It's not my favorite NIN record, but I feel like it fits in perfectly to the Ghosts/Year Zero as a nice companion EP and a nice closer to that chapter.

999,999 - not really dislike-able on its own. Simple intro track, basically.
100,000 - Crunchy, fast paced rocker. Haven't heard too much criticism about this song.
Letting You - Maybe not as 'hardcore hard' as traditional NIN but it has some rage. I prefer the rehearsal/live version personally.
Discipline - Fully understand criticism here, it's a fun dance song, not something I particularly enjoyed but it was catchy. Whatever.
Echoplex - Solid multi layered track that got tons of love.
Head Down - Awesome song. My favorite. Never hear this song getting bashed.
Lights in the Sky - raw, powerful, dark emotion.
Corona Radiata - A cool experiment in ambient noise.
The Four of Us are Dying - A ghosts-esque track with a solid bass line.
Demon Seed - Epic closer.

So essentially, all I ever really hear any hate for is Discipline, and maybe a little bit of Letting You, or those who could not appreciate Corona. So while it's not very long , I'd say in most cases 7 or 8 of the 10 tracks are generally enjoyed by the average NIN fan. Not every record needs to be a classic. I don't know. I don't think I've read one well written review by a NIN fan deeming it to be horrible, actually explaining why they think so.

End rant.

I might consider Capital G, although I like the remix, and probably The Collector, too. As mentioned, Discipline although I actually like the lyrics as repetitive as they are. As far as the various moments on PHM, sometimes make me cringe, other times I appreciate them in a nostalgic way based on how they fit in so well for the era, depending on my mood.

I'm also probably the only person on the planet who actually likes Not So Pretty Now. Make of that what you will.

theruiner
04-16-2012, 06:26 PM
Well, certainly no one can ever accuse NIN fans of not having a sense of humor.

I can understand not liking the sound of it, but to hate it because they didn't take years to make the album is...well...kind of silly.I never said that.

You know, unless they already thought it was good. Then they just release it for free for fans to pick apart because it's not the second coming of *insert favorite album here*.That's one of the silliest arguments I hear, not just from the NIN camp, but from fans of other bands as well. As if, just because you don't like an album, it could only be because it's not the second coming of whatever. Maybe they just didn't like it.

BRoswell
04-16-2012, 08:04 PM
I never said that.

That seems to be your complaint though. I don't think I'm wrong in assuming you thought the album was rushed.

That's one of the silliest arguments I hear, not just from the NIN camp, but from fans of other bands as well. As if, just because you don't like an album, it could only be because it's not the second coming of whatever. Maybe they just didn't like it.

I'm mainly talking about you, not what other people think. Based on your previous statements, I'd say that's a fair assessment.

theruiner
04-16-2012, 08:09 PM
That seems to be your complaint though. I don't think I'm wrong in assuming you thought the album was rushed.That's not what you said.

The album doesn't feel rushed to me. It seems like they put the same amount of effort that they normally do into The Slip, just in a shorter amount of time. I can understand not liking the sound of it, but to hate it because they didn't take years to make the album is...well...kind of silly....Not what I was saying.

I'm mainly talking about you, not what other people think. Based on your previous statements, I'd say that's a fair assessment.No, that's not a fair assessment at all. And it's completely incorrect.

BRoswell
04-16-2012, 08:15 PM
No one was forcing him to throw it together in his garage over the course of a weekend during commercial breaks while watching the baseball playoffs.

Sounds like you thought it was rushed and thrown together without any consideration for quality to me.

theruiner
04-16-2012, 08:16 PM
Yes, that's exactly what I was saying. That it sounds rushed. That's not what you accused me of saying, though. You implied that I only like an album if it took years to make. I don't inherently have a problem with an album being made quickly. If Trent makes an album in one day and it's a great album then I really don't care. But if it was done in a short period of time, and it sounds rushed to me, then yes, I'm going to point it out.

Highly Psychological
04-16-2012, 09:11 PM
All my worst are post 2005..

You Know What you Are........ Is the worst NIN track. Any dumb shitty Emo/metal band could have written that one. At first i thought it was supposed to be comedy like Starfuckers but its like a serious thing....when i first heard it i was saying to myself 'Trent what were you thinking?' Its really lame. It would be the last NIN song i would play to a skeptical critic of the band. Only NIN song i hate. At least Starfuckers was sonically intense.

Right Where it Belongs..... does not work. It sounds like Coldplay....i think it was meant to be With Teeth's, Hurt or Something I Can Never Have but lacked the emotional depth and desperation and just sounded corny...like it could be used in an episode of Brothers and Sisters.

Beside You In Time.....Just nothing really happens, the constant build up to a let down.

With the exception of 1.000.000 and Discipline....the rest of the Slip and Ghosts..sounds like records of out takes. And filler. Compare it to the Fragile and The Downward Spiral...i mean its not the same thing is it really???

Every Day is Exactly the Same is just depressing, sonically boring. Does not excite me or hit any emotion within me just falls flat.
Not So Pretty Now never did it for me.

I like Year Zero but i dont love it...something about the Production of it stops it becoming a great record. It sounds dare i say....rushed. Didnt he write it on tour and then put it all together really quickly in late 2006? That had some really great songs and ideas on it and had he spent maybe 6 months longer on it, i reckon it could have been and flowed lot better. Interscope i think pushed Trent more in the 00's. And were less patient and had more rules. Im glad he left.

I dont get the dislike for the tracks Getting Smaller, i love that one. It sounds like a pure rock band. It really rocks. It sounds like Killing Joke a bit. One of best from With Teeth, Sunspots is the best from With Teeth...Sexy as fuck...beautiful......womb music, oozing sexy. Deep is the most underrated NIN tune, again sexy and a throbbing beast
Kinda I want to and Thats What I get are awesome too.
And Obviously Maybe Just Once...best NIN song never released.

Conan The Barbarian
04-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Did we just get trolled?

henryeatscereal
04-16-2012, 10:42 PM
I'm also probably the only person on the planet who actually likes Not So Pretty Now. Make of that what you will.
I like "Not so pretty Now", a lot

And Obviously Maybe Just Once...best NIN song never released.

Meathead lives!!!

Space Suicide
04-16-2012, 10:44 PM
The Collector

One of the absolutely worst Nine Inch Nails songs in history. Terribly boring, lyrically misguided and a weak song all around. "I pick things up, I am a Collector." "I am a big boy and I will swallow it all." Trent, bad lyrics...please. This song is one of the worst.

Discipline

Hello, you revolting, boring waste of 4 minutes. It brings nothing to the table and it's just bad. The only redeeming thing it had was the exceptionally gay music video that Meathead made for it.

Probably all I can name really. I like and love everything else for the most part. Some more than others of course but that's what happens with any band.

bobbie solo
04-17-2012, 12:52 AM
some of you people....wow.

hobochic
04-17-2012, 01:09 AM
I forgot 2 tracks:

Everyday is Exactly the Same - Sounds like a song that would fit perfectly in a WB- Sarah Michelle Geller/Jennifer Love Hewitt/Dawsons Creek-pseudo suspens drama for bully teenagers with bad taste in pop culture. It's one of the most repetitive titles that gets overused and annoying in the chorus within the first minute.

Right where it belongs - right from the start, the concept of the song tries to challenge your way of viewing the world with totally banal and trivial theories and philosophical questions that just end up sounding like your stoned unemployed old high school buddy. Way too many lines start with "What if..." - yes, what if I imagine that? what then?

Ryan
04-17-2012, 01:15 AM
zero-sum (if it wasn't for the chorus... the music's great so I switched it with an instrumental version)

Fuck no! The chorus is the best part! So moving; easily in my top 5 tracks.

Amaro
04-17-2012, 03:29 AM
Head Down.

(Super overrated, too.)

Verses are just not good to me. Being nice.

Ryan
04-17-2012, 04:42 AM
I don't like Getting Smaller or Letting You.

I don't like letting you get smaller. lololol wat

theruiner
04-17-2012, 05:04 AM
Fuck no! The chorus is the best part! So moving; easily in my top 5 tracks.Yeah, I love that song, too, and specifically the chorus. The verses are some of the best lyrics Trent has ever written, and the chorus just brings it all home emotionally. Love it.

slave2thewage
04-17-2012, 05:55 AM
The Collector
The Way Out is Through
The Only Time
Non-Entity
most of Ghosts.

Also, I legitimately love Starfuckers and Deep. COME AT ME, BRO.

icklekitty
04-17-2012, 06:50 AM
Letting You
Discipline
Echoplex
Head Down
Lights in the Sky
Corona Radiata
The Four of Us Are Dying
Demon Seed

hobochic
04-17-2012, 07:01 AM
Letting You
Discipline
Echoplex
Head Down
Lights in the Sky
Corona Radiata
The Four of Us Are Dying
Demon Seed

wow, you scored the jackpot in the chronological bad taste collection.

I disagree with all but Discipline

slave2thewage
04-17-2012, 07:15 AM
Well, that joke went over your head.

dlb
04-17-2012, 07:17 AM
Yeah, I love that song, too, and specifically the chorus. The verses are some of the best lyrics Trent has ever written, and the chorus just brings it all home emotionally. Love it.

to each his own I guess, but while I agree with you for the most part, it really is just the chorus that I dislike (not hate). Not because of the lyrics, but the way it all comes together. It just doesn't sound good to my ears and takes me away from an otherwise cool closing song of a record that's otherwise my least favorite NIN (mostly because I pretty much missed out on everything concerning the ARG etc.).

henryeatscereal
04-17-2012, 09:12 AM
The Slip isn't THAT bad, i'll just call it an "standard NIN album", which is a whole lot better than the best albums from lots of bands

Fred
04-17-2012, 09:24 AM
Something I Can Never Have. It's overlong, way too repetitive, boring and whiny. I never really liked it, and I skip it virtually every time I'm listening to PHM.

And yes, that does indeed mean I would rather listen to Kinda I Want To.

Sallos
04-17-2012, 11:09 AM
maybe just once, is by far the worst.

sheepdean
04-17-2012, 11:22 AM
Maybe Just Once is a work of brilliance

slave2thewage
04-17-2012, 11:34 AM
How Maybe Just Once didn't make PHM and The Only Time/That's What I Get did, I'll never know.

henryeatscereal
04-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Purest Feeling is a lot worse in my opinion

marodi
04-17-2012, 12:57 PM
If I ever meet Reznor (that is if I ever get the courage to talk to him at all) I'd tell him how much his music means to me and I'd thank him for having written some of the best songs I've ever heard (like any fanboy/fangirl does, really).

Then I'd slap him behind the head for having written and recorded That's What I Get.

PhoenixML
04-17-2012, 03:19 PM
If I ever meet Reznor (that is if I ever get the courage to talk to him at all) I'd tell him how much his music means to me and I'd thank him for having written some of the best songs I've ever heard (like any fanboy/fangirl does, really).

Then I'd slap him behind the head for having written and recorded That's What I Get.

ROFL!!! That was awesome!

carpenoctem
04-17-2012, 03:48 PM
Head Down.

(Super overrated, too.)

Verses are just not good to me. Being nice.

This. I think that main riff just sounds ugly, and not the good kind that Trent can usually distort into something beautiful.

I personally have never cared for A Warm Place. As far as NINstrumentals go it's pretty vanilla. Usually gets a skipsies out of me unless I'm in one of those "TDS is a masterpiece and must be listened to front to back in precise order" kind of moods. Also, I usually stop PHM before I get to Ringfinger.

ZootZap
04-17-2012, 04:50 PM
I've never heard the demo versions from PHM before. Out of curiosity I checked - Purest Feeling- and -Maybe Just Once- out and I have to say, this is the first time I couldn't relate to a NIN song and I'm glad they weren't choosen for the album. They sound too lighthearted for my taste and shallow in a way. Even though -Pretty Hate Machine- is not my favorite album, when I heard it for the first time, I could sense every single track very quickly. Even the weaker once convey an emotion I could understand... ok, Ringfinger I'm not thrilled about that one.
Anyway, these two demo tracks (PF & MJO) are the first NIN songs I don't really like.

On the other hand, it's interesting how musical opinions/taste are deeply divided here. I for one love A Warm Place!

wizfan
04-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Oh, come on. You guys are shitting on half of PHM. His first record, where he had the least experience with composition and lyrics. He didn't have as much input as his later albums. It's just normal. Trent was a rookie, then he got better.

...and then he wrote "All your hurt sticks on me and I keep it warm." Yeah, that wasn't that good. Like, at all.

theruiner
04-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Letting You
Discipline
Echoplex
Head Down
Lights in the Sky
Corona Radiata
The Four of Us Are Dying
Demon Seed

Someone's just upset that it isn't The Downward Spiral 2. ;)

InversePhase
04-17-2012, 06:48 PM
I've never heard the demo versions from PHM before. Out of curiosity I checked - Purest Feeling- and -Maybe Just Once- out and I have to say, this is the first time I couldn't relate to a NIN song and I'm glad they weren't choosen for the album. They sound too lighthearted for my taste and shallow in a way. Even though -Pretty Hate Machine- is not my favorite album, when I heard it for the first time, I could sense every single track very quickly. Even the weaker once convey an emotion I could understand... ok, Ringfinger I'm not thrilled about that one.
Anyway, these two demo tracks (PF & MJO) are the first NIN songs I don't really like.

On the other hand, it's interesting how musical opinions/taste are deeply divided here. I for one love A Warm Place!
ZootZap, may I recommend you listen to the entire Purest Feeling demo (not just the track itself)? It'll help you understand why the tracks don't fit into PHM. It's because that demo (which I like, by the way)...it's -- for lack of a better way to put it -- Pretty Hate Machine as performed by Peter Gabriel.

Everyone is going to want to kill me now.

Frozen Beach
04-17-2012, 06:55 PM
Pretty Hate Machine as performed by Peter Gabriel.

Nah, because I'd actually pay money to see/hear that.

Amaro
04-17-2012, 07:49 PM
The Way Is Through

COME AT ME, BRO.

Crazy FUCK.

////

The Good Soldier.

henryeatscereal
04-17-2012, 09:05 PM
Heresy and i dont mean the song :P

BenAkenobi
04-18-2012, 01:45 AM
Meet your master, anyone?

icklekitty
04-18-2012, 02:42 AM
Nah, I find it hard to dislike any NIN song with erotic undertones.

Unless it's on The Slip.

Someone's just upset that it isn't The Downward Spiral 2. ;)
The Downward Spiral 2? That'd be Year Zero. :D

witte
04-18-2012, 03:58 AM
Deep......

WorzelG
04-18-2012, 04:00 AM
This would be songs I skip on each album, mostly because I like something else more rather than active dislike

PHM - Kinda I Want to and That's What I Get
I rarely if ever listen to Broken
DS - AWarm Place
Fragile - Pilgrimage, Complication
With Teeth - The Collector (I know people have a problem with the title track but I first heard it live at the Astoria before the album came out and it was fucking amazing live, have a soft spot for it)
Year Zero - Beginning of the End (bit too straight-ahead), Capital G
The Slip - 1 Million, Letting You

Ryan
04-18-2012, 04:09 AM
Nah, I find it hard to dislike any NIN song with erotic undertones.

Unless it's on The Slip.

The Downward Spiral 2? That'd be Year Zero. :D

The title The Slip itself is erotic if you think about it in the right way.

Let me slip my Demon Seed inside of you.

MAD
04-18-2012, 04:55 AM
The title The Slip itself is erotic if you think about it in the right way.
http://www.dealbyethan.com/mens-fashion-listings/images/arroyman/arroyman-micro-slip-white.jpg

EWWWW

henryeatscereal
04-18-2012, 09:08 AM
Let me Slip my Demon Seed into your Corona Radiata :P

butters
04-18-2012, 10:17 AM

Does Not Compute.

henryeatscereal
04-18-2012, 11:07 AM
The only bad songs in Broken are tracks 7 to 97

ManBurning
04-18-2012, 11:22 PM
*New Title - Least favorite NIN Tracks"* :o Sunspots

No way my friend, no way! Sunspots is one of the BEST NIN tracks of all time!

My least faviourte NIN tracks would tend to be the "filler" ones like Another Version Of the Truth and Corona Radiata.

As for real songs, I would tend to go with the softer NIN songs like Something I can Never Have and Right Where It Belongs first.
Don't get me wrong, some of NIN's softer side is my all time faviourte, but you have to be in a certain mood for them, the above 2, meh just don't care.

And of course I would lump-sum all the overplayed singles in the "meh" category as well for obvious reasons that They are over-played and some of them are waaaay too poppy (Discipline, The Hand That Feeds, Only, Closer).

and Deep is....well....Doesn't need an explanation.

Frozen Beach
04-19-2012, 05:11 PM
No, [insert song I like] is AMAZING! [insert song I love] is terrible!

carpenoctem
04-20-2012, 06:12 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_25NR6PyWRhg/TJ-fYC4zV_I/AAAAAAAAALw/cL_R5wRyLG4/s1600/scanners4.jpg

hellospaceboy
05-05-2012, 05:50 AM
I did think that Starfuckers inc was trying a bit too hard. Then the video came out and it was... well, a bit embarrassing. The only other track that I'm not nuts about is capital g. It was actually pretty good at the time YZ came out, but it didn't age well. Already feels dated and way too obvious, and it's only been a couple of years.

ambergris
05-05-2012, 12:54 PM
That's what I get... it's almost so bad that it's good. "After you just taught me how to kiss.....YOOOUUUUUU", and of course, "slipping on the tears you made me cry"

henryeatscereal
05-06-2012, 11:11 PM
"That's what i get" has that same "Maybe just once"/"Purest Feeling" vibe, but i do like it, the lyrics are a bit cheesy but the music is ok

Wolfkiller
05-07-2012, 01:40 AM
Vessel. No clue why, but I just really don't like that song. One of two of the instrumentals can be a little on the boring side as well.

Ryan
05-07-2012, 07:41 AM
Oh, come on. You guys are shitting on half of PHM. His first record, where he had the least experience with composition and lyrics. He didn't have as much input as his later albums. It's just normal. Trent was a rookie, then he got better.

...and then he wrote "All your hurt sticks on me and I keep it warm." Yeah, that wasn't that good. Like, at all.

lol

ten characters.

Shnoorum
05-07-2012, 11:04 AM
I'm not a huge fan of PHM but I do understand the fact it was his first record AND made in the very late 80's so the odds were stacked incredibly against him. To his credit though, Head Like a Hole is on the album so he kind of defied the odds and made atleast one song that was awesome. I'm not a fan of the 80's...

Senateguard33
05-07-2012, 03:01 PM
It seems different fans have varied opinions on the different songs/albums by NIN. I think it is awesome that Trent hardly repeats himself and appeals to different generations, that is what makes a classic artist.

For those that experienced the 80s/90s, PHM and TDS were a pretty big deal, I'll never forget the first time I heard those albums. Then the Fragile was the epic conclusion to that Era. The post 90s stuff is just as good, but has a different vibe. Right now, I'd say I prefer Ghosts, TSN and GWTDT over WT, YZ and Slip.

Iran_Ed
05-07-2012, 07:08 PM
Something I can never have. Just no...
Edit: I didn't know you could facepalm a post. This changes everything.

henryeatscereal
05-07-2012, 09:13 PM
It seems different fans have varied opinions on the different songs/albums by NIN. I think it is awesome that Trent hardly repeats himself and appeals to different generations, that is what makes a classic artist.

I agree, i think there's "something for everyone" in NIN's music, my cousin is not a diehard fan of NIN (his favorite band is Dave Matthews Band, lol) and even he has a favorite track.
Judging by this thread i can say that the "least favorite records" are Pretty Hate Machine and The Slip, the first and last ones, woa

SM Rollinger
05-09-2012, 08:01 PM
purest feeling hands down is the worst track ever. at least maybe just once is slightly catchy

Wolfkiller
05-13-2012, 03:38 PM
purest feeling hands down is the worst track ever. at least maybe just once is slightly catchy

Trent's biggest let down is the lack of sax in his career. Purest Feeling forever!

sayyosin
05-14-2012, 06:59 PM
That's What I Get
All the Love in the World
The Hand That Feeds
Every Day is Exactly the Same
Capital G

These songs I almost never listen to.

carpenoctem
05-14-2012, 07:11 PM
I agree, i think there's "something for everyone" in NIN's music, my cousin is not a diehard fan of NIN (his favorite band is Dave Matthews Band, lol) and even he has a favorite track.
Judging by this thread i can say that the "least favorite records" are Pretty Hate Machine and The Slip, the first and last ones, woa

Out of curiosity, what's your cousin's favorite track? I'm trying to think of something in the Reznor oeuvre that sounds remotely like Dave Matthews Band and I'm coming up blank.

henryeatscereal
05-14-2012, 08:10 PM
Out of curiosity, what's your cousin's favorite track? I'm trying to think of something in the Reznor oeuvre that sounds remotely like Dave Matthews Band and I'm coming up blank.
His fave: "Something i can never have" but he's a sucker for "Hurt", "Kinda I want to" and "Head like a Hole" actually he's a huge fan of "Pretty Hate Machine", go figure!

SM Rollinger
05-15-2012, 08:40 PM
Trent's biggest let down is the lack of sax in his career. Purest Feeling forever!

haha. i seem to remember him playing sax a couple times live, during eraser in 09 and with bowie in 95 on like hallo spaceboy ( i might be wrong on that song title, it could be scary monsters. somebody correct me if im wrong).

Sutekh
05-18-2012, 03:14 PM
"Please" and "With Teeth" are the only tracks I don't like. I am actually embarrassed by how much I like this band

WorzelG
05-18-2012, 03:20 PM
i seem to remember him playing sax a couple times live, during eraser in 09

the idea of saxophone in Eraser sounds great - do you have any youtube links?

BRoswell
05-18-2012, 03:45 PM
( i might be wrong on that song title, it could be scary monsters. somebody correct me if im wrong).

It was actually on Subterraneans.

hellospaceboy
06-01-2012, 02:25 PM
I just received my copy of the 2 track US promo for Capital g, and while the original song is on my "least favorite" list to begin with... I will now nominate both the "phones 666 rpm mix" and the "switch remix" as the worst songs to be released under the nine inch nails banner.

I can't put it in words how crushed I feel right now. These tracks are embarrassing and hideous. Somebody tell me please how they ended up being used as promotional-fucking-tools for YZ. What happened?! Did somebody lose a bet?

BenAkenobi
06-01-2012, 03:07 PM
These tracks are embarrassing and hideous

you could have checked the remixes in the 'net beforehand ;) one of them is on regular edition of YZR anyway, so no reason to gripe

henryeatscereal
06-01-2012, 04:53 PM
I just received my copy of the 2 track US promo for Capital g, and while the original song is on my "least favorite" list to begin with... I will now nominate both the "phones 666 rpm mix" and the "switch remix" as the worst songs to be released under the nine inch nails banner.

I can't put it in words how crushed I feel right now. These tracks are embarrassing and hideous. Somebody tell me please how they ended up being used as promotional-fucking-tools for YZ. What happened?! Did somebody lose a bet?

NIN has some nasty remixes, but i think they don't count as proper songs up to nomination, still im shocked to see all the hate for "Capital G", i think "Deep" is much worse in my opinion...

seasonsinthesky
06-01-2012, 09:36 PM

yeah, they're pretty awful (but does that mean you like the "Me, I'm Not" remix more?!). thankfully, remix promos aren't really used to promote the album as such, it's more of a record industry mechanism to get danceable versions of tracks picked up by DJs to spin, and it's on the outs.

y'know, i used to think "Heresy" and "The Becoming" were two of the worst NIN tracks because of the high-pitched vocals (and also the annoying Robot Joxx sample loop in the latter). i've warmed up to "Heresy" a lot, but i'll still take "The Becoming" from Still (or the Dissonance version) over the original every time.

hellospaceboy
06-02-2012, 02:56 PM
you could have checked the remixes in the 'net beforehand ;) one of them is on regular edition of YZR anyway, so no reason to gripe

I would've get the cd anyway, even if I knew what's in store for me, just for the sake of the collection. And yes, I was familiar with the YZR version, I was just surprised to find that there's a companion remix that's even worse (if that's possible)!!!

Either way, this is absolutely a reason to gripe :) and this release absolutely deserves a post in the "least favorite" thread.

hellospaceboy
06-02-2012, 03:03 PM
NIN has some nasty remixes, but i think they don't count as proper songs up to nomination, still im shocked to see all the hate for "Capital G", i think "Deep" is much worse in my opinion...

I am, on the other hand, genuinely shocked to see all the hate for "Deep". I think it's a pretty good song. It's set as my ringtone, and I tend to include it on my NIN playlists...

Wretchedest
06-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Yeah, capital G is really obnoxious... Not so pretty now, also annoying... thats what i get, a long hated track.
theres the occasional shitty track from Ghosts... You Know What you Are? Totally boring and stupid....

Starfuckers, i think that goes without saying... right?

Most of the other stuff i didnt like has grown on me. I like Deep, and Big Man With a Gun, ever since i saw live performances of them.

Oh shit! How could i forget most of the slip? (Or: how couldnt i?)
1,000,000: just... just awful

*edit
This thread is really startling... there are people who dont listen to Broken? Thats like THE quintissential NIN record. It sums up the entire philosiphy in 8 easy to like songs... what the fuck? And PHM getting bagged on? I feel like lyrically hes so much fresher in his early work...

Also i somehow left out the begginning of the end and discipline which are true abominations...

Vertigo
06-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Found myself scratching my head about every single track mentioned in this thread, and then realised there isn't really any NIN track I don't like...

Warped_Savant
06-02-2012, 09:53 PM
(but does that mean you like the "Me, I'm Not" remix more?!).
Me, I'm Not by Olof Dreijer is probably my favorite track on YZR.
Another Version Of The Truth [Kronos Quartet and Enrique Gonzalez Muller] is probably my least favorite track. Sunspots and With Teeth are usually skipped past. I can't really think of any other ones that I really don't like.

S. Chonson
06-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Erased. Over. Out.

henryeatscereal
06-02-2012, 11:24 PM
Found myself scratching my head about every single track mentioned in this thread, and then realised there isn't really any NIN track I don't like...
I like them all, it's just "Least favorites", the ones you listen to but sometimes skip...

SM Rollinger
07-12-2012, 06:35 PM
y'... "The Becoming" were two of the worst NIN tracks because of the high-pitched vocals (and also the annoying Robot Joxx sample loop in the latter)...

what part of this song is the sample? (i read about it ninwiki awhile back too, but they dont identify what/where the sample is/are)

REPLICA
07-12-2012, 06:40 PM
Now that I think about it, there are a few tracks that I listen to.... Most of the stuff from YZR and... (Don't hate) But I tend to skip Reptile a lot, I'll listen to it when I sit down to listen to the whole TDS album but as far as just listening to it on it's own, that's rare.

SM Rollinger
07-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Now that I think about it, there are a few tracks that I listen to.... Most of the stuff from YZR and... (Don't hate) But I tend to skip Reptile a lot, I'll listen to it when I sit down to listen to the whole TDS album but as far as just listening to it on it's own, that's rare.
agreeded on reptile, i do the same. something about it outside of the context of the album...

Vertigo
07-12-2012, 06:49 PM
(Don't hate) But I tend to skip Reptile a lot, I'll listen to it when I sit down to listen to the whole TDS album but as far as just listening to it on it's own, that's rare.

Liar's much better than Reptile in my opinion - stronger vocals and more variety, though you do miss the guitar. Having spliced the two together very much like a four-arsed monkey, however, I get the best of both worlds.

seasonsinthesky
07-12-2012, 11:01 PM
Liar's much better than Reptile in my opinion - stronger vocals and more variety, though you do miss the guitar. Having spliced the two together very much like a four-arsed monkey, however, I get the best of both worlds.

haha, "four-arsed monkey" is a brilliant turn of phrase for that — i did the same, though with the "Heresy" demo and album versions (and surround tracks). it's also a helpful scope on good arranging; it takes a certain amount of understanding and musical knowledge to make the "monkey" make sense when you listen to it!

PhoenixML
07-14-2012, 09:27 AM
Me, I'm Not by Olof Dreijer is probably my favorite track on YZR.
Another Version Of The Truth [Kronos Quartet and Enrique Gonzalez Muller] is probably my least favorite track. Sunspots and With Teeth are usually skipped past. I can't really think of any other ones that I really don't like.

I usually respect everyone's opinion. But I can't for this one (the Me I'm not remix being a favorite track). I'm sorry.

Blackbookpress1984
12-31-2012, 12:04 PM
Gotta admit, I really don't like Big Man With A Gun. The name reminds me of Tom Waits, who I really can't stand

fan-since-96
01-02-2013, 03:59 PM
With Teeth made nobody's list? At all? There's fifteen references to songs that were never even officially released and nobody pipes up to question the song With Teeth? Have I missed something? Somone doesn't like Ruiner, but stands confident in their enjoyment of the song Awitha Teetha? I've always felt that song embodied Trent at his most disjointed, confused and lost. It's displeasing in every regard when I hear it. I understand the sing is about his addictions and the stuggle with them, but that doesn't make it good. I feel that Trent wrote it with the intention of it not being enjoyed by anyone. But I guess that's just me.

slave2thewage
01-02-2013, 04:08 PM
Love Is Not Enough. BLECH.

henryeatscereal
01-02-2013, 11:34 PM
With Teeth made nobody's list? At all? There's fifteen references to songs that were never even officially released and nobody pipes up to question the song With Teeth? Have I missed something? Somone doesn't like Ruiner, but stands confident in their enjoyment of the song Awitha Teetha? I've always felt that song embodied Trent at his most disjointed, confused and lost. It's displeasing in every regard when I hear it. I understand the sing is about his addictions and the stuggle with them, but that doesn't make it good. I feel that Trent wrote it with the intention of it not being enjoyed by anyone. But I guess that's just me.
I used to dislike A_WITH_A_TEETHA 'till i heard it live.
Maybe the "Beside you in time" version shows what i mean, he made it sound sounds so ballsy, love the part of the solo ...and 'Dat bass! (zing!!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cslxqOqno1k

Amnesiac
01-03-2013, 01:53 AM

Really? I find that surprising, but I absolutely adore Reptile. It sets a mood and follows through with the creepy, while still being easy to rock out to. The chugging guitar, repeating doll-sounding sample (sorry, I don't actually know what to call it/what it's from) into Trent's tiny "Oh" ... man, I love that song.

As for least favorite NIN track? Off the top of my head ... That's What I Get or Deep.

BenAkenobi
01-03-2013, 01:58 AM
who doesn't like With teeth doesn't also like Pilgrimage, i suppose >_>

seasonsinthesky
01-03-2013, 10:44 AM
i dunno, i can't stand "WT" (except the quiet part) but i'm into "Pilgrimage" — it just took me years and years (and the vinyl version) to appreciate it.

one i still haven't found a way to like, after even more years: "Underneath It All." oi.

Blackbookpress1984
01-03-2013, 11:19 AM
While my all time least favorite NIN track is Big Man With Gun

I do really like:
With teeth (surprisingly many people seem to hate this one.
Capital G. (I'm a big fan of comparisons between industry, corporations, and religion)
The Hand that feeds
Terrible lie
Head like A hole (actually this, and Terrible lie, also comment on the above stated topic a bit if you listen close)
And anything off of year zero remixed

Other songs I'm not a fan of:
The Great below
sunspots
Getting smaller
Kinda I want to
pinion
last

Presideo
01-03-2013, 06:11 PM
I do really like With teeth (surprisingly many people seem to hate this one.
I don't hate the song, but it always felt like a failed attempt at recreating Reptile.

The only NIN song that really irks me is The Collector. Whats worse, Reznor actually thought it would be a fan-favorite.

Conan The Barbarian
01-03-2013, 06:23 PM
I like the drums on The Collector. The chorus is cool.

God Given, sucks.

EDIT: I went back to listen to the song thinking it would change my mind. Nope. That chorus kills everything and anything cool about that song.

henryeatscereal
01-03-2013, 08:40 PM
I really loved Year Zero, but i think God Given is one of the worst songs in the NIN catalog...

bobbie solo
01-09-2013, 02:09 AM
God Given is pretty tight from a music perspective at least...no?

henryeatscereal
01-09-2013, 08:51 AM
You're right, but like the Conan said the chorus kills everything good about the song, the lyrics are great too but it's the way he sings the damn thing...

fan-since-96
01-11-2013, 05:42 PM
For the record, I just heard the song With Teeth on DVD-A today and I really enjoyed it. Purest Feeling is my new least favorite NIN song. Least favorite official song is probably Big Man With a Gun. (I know it was supposed to be a joke but theres a pretty strong rape vibe in it, and not in a friendly Closer kinda way. Its like the rape scene in Rob Zombie's Halloween, just unsettling).

Highly Psychological
01-11-2013, 06:23 PM
Head Like a Hole has never really done much for me. It's nowhere near as good as most of the other songs on Pretty Hate Machine. I first heard it in 1990 and it did nothing for me, i thought it was a bit 'meh' and expected NIN to be another sub-par Industrial Punk act and it prevented me from really getting into NIN for another 3 years. I decided not to investigate because i found the song tripe. When i actually got around to hearing Pretty Hate Machine i was shocked it was so good. Because the track everyone had been raving about was to my ears extremely mediocre. A view i still hold. I like the production of the song a little, the reverb 80s sound but the chorus never uplifted me the way it did or others..

bobbie solo
01-13-2013, 09:42 PM
i never took Big Man as a joke, just as a severely dark scenario/point of view about sexual roles inside the head of a really f'ed up individual (the one that the album is about). no?

henryeatscereal
01-13-2013, 09:49 PM
I always thought "Big Man with a gun" is in a way a "sequel/homage/reference" to Tori Amos "Me and a Gun"

Stereo75
01-13-2013, 11:02 PM
who doesn't like With teeth doesn't also like Pilgrimage, i suppose >_>

I skipped over Pilgrimage yesterday. Never really liked that one.

Wes
02-20-2013, 02:47 AM
•••••••••••••••••

hobochic
02-20-2013, 03:37 AM
Ever since Trent decided to not let Rick Rubin produce a NIN record I've been pretty interested in the ways it could have helped Trent to focus on his creativity, his performance and the final outcome of an album. Sometimes it feels like Trent's vision gets sidetracked by shitty and poorly executed ideas (Capital G) and by being surrounded with yes men constantly. Having someone else produce or co-produce could help NIN with deleting the crap that Trent's too involved in to notice during a creative phase.

That, or just hire in Lars Ulrich's dad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKEAJmsHZqo

theimage13
02-20-2013, 05:56 AM
The "TDS Live" version of Ruiner. That screamer....ugh.

jaypayton
02-20-2013, 11:36 AM
everything on The Slip besides 'lights in the sky'...

thefragile_jake
03-11-2013, 10:04 AM
Me, I'm Not
Capital G

Emil Dorbell
03-11-2013, 02:11 PM
Not So Pretty Now. It's pretty bad... Other than that? Can't think of any.

henryeatscereal
03-11-2013, 05:37 PM
"Not so pretty now" is chosen a lot, interesting

Not So Pretty Now. It's pretty bad... Other than that? Can't think of any.

Shockingly (for me) it does get chosen a lot...
Maybe it's because the song wasn't popular and you can even say it's a "B-Side", but i do think Trent has done far worse songs than this one and in my opinion it's one of the "Rockiest" in the NIN catalog...

just my two cents

Halo Infinity
03-12-2013, 03:46 PM
The Collector and Getting Smaller are right up there. I usually end up skipping those songs on With Teeth these days. The live version of The Collector makes it up for me though. I'll admit that's a bit odd even for me, because I normally like NIN's songs nearly as much as I like them live. (Or even more for that matter.)

wight rabbit
03-14-2013, 01:31 AM
i never took Big Man as a joke, just as a severely dark scenario/point of view about sexual roles inside the head of a really f'ed up individual (the one that the album is about). no?

I always thought "Big Man with a gun" is in a way a "sequel/homage/reference" to Tori Amos "Me and a Gun"

"Big Man with a Gun" was partly a joke track that was poking fun at the lyrical content of mainstream hip hop:

"The record was nearing completion. I had written those lyrics pretty quickly and I didn't know if I was going to use them or not. To me, Downward Spiral builds to a certain degree of madness, then it changes. That would be the last stage of delirium. So the original point of "Big Man With A Gun" was madness. But it was also making fun of the whole misogynistic gangsta-rap bullshit. ... I listen to a lot of it, and I enjoy it. But I could do without the degree of misogyny and hatred of women and abuse. Then, my song got misinterpreted as exactly that. It was probably a lack of being able to write. I've been taken out of context, and it's ridiculous."

staleincense
03-14-2013, 12:46 PM
-That's What I Get - Essentially, the most generic possible PHM song (that is, generic compared with the general sound of the album)
-Starfuckers Inc. - A bad attempt at being Marilyn Manson, really. If you want to hear NIN do drum and bass well, go listen to The Perfect Drug.
-The Big Come Down - The beginning of the whole rushed, anticlimactic ending of The Fragile. I can kind of see what Trent was trying to do with this, but it's poorly executed and just feels jarring compared to he rest of the album.
-Me, I'm Not - It's just so mindblowingly dull...

henryeatscereal
08-20-2013, 11:55 AM
*Leaves this here*

*runs*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=848kTjwPZDk

Amaro
08-20-2013, 12:32 PM
I at least like everything from PHM to Still. There isn't a voice in my head saying "No...just no." until we reach WT.

(Reiteration: I like all that shit from PHM.)

With Teeth: THTF, Only
Year Zero: Survivalism, TGS, Vessel, MIN, CG, TW, GG, MYM, ZS
Ghosts: 15
The Slip: Head Down

tony.parente
08-20-2013, 12:37 PM
Discipline.
I think it's because of meathead though.

OSLIN
08-20-2013, 12:45 PM
I at least like everything from PHM to Still. There isn't a voice on my head saying "No...just no." until we reach WT.

(Reiteration: I like all that shit from PHM.)

With Teeth: THTF, Only
Year Zero: Survivalism, TGS, Vessel, MIN, CG, TW, GG, MYM, ZS
Ghosts: 15
The Slip: Head Down

I enjoy 93% of that list.

thefragile_jake
08-20-2013, 12:46 PM
Discipline.
I think it's because of meathead though.

I think I LOVE the song even more because of meathead. My ex girlfriend loved that video and when we saw NIN in 2008, she started doing the booty smack the cartoon Trent was doing in the chorus.

Shadaloo
08-20-2013, 12:49 PM
PHM: The Only Time (that live Closer breakdown drives me fucking insane)
W_T: Getting Smaller
YZ: My Violent Heart
Ghosts: Couldn't name them offhand, but there are a few snoozers.
TS: Discipline, Letting You, Corona Radiata

AlanMorlock
08-20-2013, 12:58 PM
I personally think "Where is Everybody" is the worst song Trent has put out under the NIN name, lyrically and musically.

Amaro
08-20-2013, 12:59 PM
I enjoy 93% of that list.

I'm sure you mean that. I just never got down with Head Down...most of Year Zero... It's just not me, lil' Oslin. These are songs I basically hate or hate listening to. (There is a difference.)

OSLIN
08-20-2013, 01:03 PM
I'm sure you mean that. I just never got down with Head Down...most of Year Zero... It's just not me, lil' Oslin. These are songs I basically hate or hate listening to. (There is a difference.)

I enjoy a variety of music and every NIN fan is unique. Not bashing or not liking your comment, just stating my opinion on those songs.

Still don't know how someone can not enjoy Me, I'm Not. :)

henryeatscereal
08-20-2013, 01:07 PM
The moderators wisely changed the thread title to "Least favorite NIN tracks", i don't hate "Everything" but i'm pretty sure it won't become one of my favorite NIN tracks anytime soon (yet i don't hate it and i the album context it might sound great...)

EDIT: I love "Me I'm Not" to each it's own...

TheRealNs1
08-20-2013, 01:09 PM
"everything" followed every closely by "discipline".

What's this meathead reference to discipline?

ninsp
08-20-2013, 01:30 PM
All The Love in the World
You Know What You Are?
The Collector
With Teeth
Getting Smaller
That's What I Get
Kinda I Want To

Mutilated
08-20-2013, 01:34 PM
With Teeth
Getting Smaller
Everything

Krazy
08-20-2013, 01:36 PM
"everything" followed every closely by "discipline".

What's this meathead reference to discipline?

Google the meathead perspective.

Heres the vid:

http://youtu.be/I1ZMKfFHU3U

OSLIN
08-20-2013, 01:49 PM
Least Favorite NIИ Tracks
A Collection of Songs That I Could Go My Entire Life Not Hearing Again

Maybe Just Once
Kinda I Want To
Big Man with a Gun
Pilgrimage
Not So Pretty Now
Corona Radiata

martin_b
08-20-2013, 01:55 PM
"Videodrones; Questions" - because it's 40 seconds of underscore,
"Track 10" from Quake soundtrack - because beside the fact, that I have began my adventure with NIN, this is the part of the soundtrack that does not speak to me at all
"That's What I Get" - because I do not like it
All remixes of Closer (except of the "Closer to God") from Halo 09 and remixes of "The Perfect Drug" from Halo 11 - yeah, I know, but... I really prefer "Screaming Slave" and first 5 tracks of Quake than "Closer" and "The Perfect Drug" remixes
"The New Flesh" - this is the only TF related track that I do not like. At all.
All remixes from Halo 18 and Halo 21 - I'm just unable to go through those tracks...
This Olof Dreijer thing from YZR - ughhh...
The second part of Ghosts II and almost the entire Ghosts III.

toomanyrifts
08-20-2013, 03:23 PM
Every remix that's come out after Still. Seriously, not a single one has been good.

Oh, and for actual songs:

Kinda, I Want To
Physical (You're So)
March of the Pigs
Pilgrimage
With Teeth
Hyperpower!
Discipline

One from every disc. Note, not all are "horrid" (MOTP is just the worst of TDS)...

hobochic
08-20-2013, 03:25 PM
Songs I'm not in Love with:

Every Day Is Exactly The Same – Let's just say it's the musical equivalent to Snakes on a Plane. The title alone ruins every micro chance of me taking the song seriously. Not only for its blunt title and sounding like a bratty kid telling its parent that school sucks, it also gives the chorus of the song away too easily which makes the actual listening of the chorus a drag, and it doesn't get better by the title getting repeated a couple of dozen times too many. My favorite part of the song is the intro "I believe I can see the future" and the finding of "the little paper" climax. A better title would have been "Premonition", which I believe was a working title for perhaps this or a different NIN song.

Capital G – Great idea. Terrible execution. Again, parts of the song sound like an annoying kid prancing around in the kitchen, as someone once mentioned. The main melody also sounds like a preset melody in a shitty keyboard.

The Hand That Feeds – Boring. Good at times, no idea why. It's not you, It's me...

Discipline – Flat production, repetitive and predictable, as THTF.

Love or like pretty much everything else.

TheRealNs1
08-20-2013, 03:47 PM
The Hand That Feeds – Boring. Good at times, no idea why. It's not you, It's me...

I'll never listen to it on CD, but I'll still rock the fuck out to it live.

eversonpoe
08-20-2013, 03:53 PM
The moderators wisely changed the thread title to "Least favorite NIN tracks", i don't hate "Everything" but i'm pretty sure it won't become one of my favorite NIN tracks anytime soon (yet i don't hate it and i the album context it might sound great...)

i'm actually really surprised, given how much you like wire and some other post-punk stuff!

thefragile_jake
08-20-2013, 04:11 PM
The more I hear it live, I really think Survivalism is becoming less resonate with me.

AlanMorlock
08-20-2013, 04:11 PM
Every remix that's come out after Still. Seriously, not a single one has been good.

Oh, and for actual songs:

Kinda, I Want To
Physical (You're So)
March of the Pigs
Pilgrimage
With Teeth
Hyperpower!
Discipline

One from every disc. Note, not all are "horrid" (MOTP is just the worst of TDS)...

To each their own but man I love Hyperpower.

If I might ask, what is it you don't like about March of the Pigs?

EndlessLoveless
08-20-2013, 05:17 PM
Starfuckers- music is awesome, i just dont like the chorus lyrics or song name. First time I heard it was the radio edit and the chorus sounded like "stop - this!", because of the edit, instead of "starfuckers!" At that point in time i loved it.

Getting smaller- Just cant get into it- except for after the 2nd chorus when that 'noise' slowly fades in- almost like a foreshadow of the intro to besides you in time. But yeah, flip flop flip flop flip....

the warning- just kind of boring to me, and that bass line just doesnt do anything for me- only good part is that crazy chopped up guitar at the end.

the greater good- another kind of boring one

henryeatscereal
08-20-2013, 05:34 PM
i'm actually really surprised, given how much you like wire and some other post-punk stuff!
I know man, i love The Cure too and im not drooling for "Everything", i don't think it's bad, but for NIN standards i think it can be a lot better, definitely i wouldn't have picked it as a single... yet i do hear the post-punk vibe you are talking about and in my fourth listen is growing on me!

cheddamash
08-20-2013, 06:50 PM
"Everything"... that is all.

toomanyrifts
08-21-2013, 03:48 AM
To each their own but man I love Hyperpower.

If I might ask, what is it you don't like about March of the Pigs?

MOTP is the weakest track on TDS, IMO. That said, that's like saying in an album full of 10/10 tracks, there's one 9.5/10. It's just been played way too much, like Closer and Hurt. There are better songs on TDS than those three, yet we almost never hear Heresy, The Becoming, Ruiner and I Do Not Want This.

Hyperpower!/Beginning of the End IMO is just a very boring intro to an Album. Those two songs and the vocal tone on The Warning are the only parts of YZ I dislike (though it's nowhere near a The Fragile, With Teeth or TDS).

Taking bad about a TDS song (or one from The Fragile) is hard to do. They're, as full albums (Still wasn't one), my #1 and #2 on the list of "best albums ever." My friends have "tested" me, and I can recite the lyrics of the songs off TDS at the drop of a hat, every song in order, with zero help (actually while they looked at the lyrics on a smartphone cause they're not that obsessive!).

hani
08-21-2013, 04:44 AM
Ringfinger
Memorabilia
Where Is Everybody?
Capital G
Letting You

Dragoro
08-21-2013, 07:31 AM
I'm not a huge fan of PHM but I do understand the fact it was his first record AND made in the very late 80's so the odds were stacked incredibly against him. To his credit though, Head Like a Hole is on the album so he kind of defied the odds and made atleast one song that was awesome. I'm not a fan of the 80's...

What?!?! How can anyone not like the Talking Heads!!!

AndrewTDaC
08-21-2013, 08:37 AM
Ever since Trent decided to not let Rick Rubin produce a NIN record I've been pretty interested in the ways it could have helped Trent to focus on his creativity, his performance and the final outcome of an album. Sometimes it feels like Trent's vision gets sidetracked by shitty and poorly executed ideas (Capital G) and by being surrounded with yes men constantly. Having someone else produce or co-produce could help NIN with deleting the crap that Trent's too involved in to notice during a creative phase.

That, or just hire in Lars Ulrich's dad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKEAJmsHZqo

ATTICUS ROSS IS THE PROBLEM. Sure they do well for scoring films together, but jesus, EVERYTHING is terrible. The last decade of NIN material has been weak, thanks, in large part, to Atticus Ross.

eversonpoe
08-21-2013, 08:50 AM
ATTICUS ROSS IS THE PROBLEM. Sure they do well for scoring films together, but jesus, EVERYTHING is terrible. The last decade of NIN material has been weak, thanks, in large part, to Atticus Ross.

if "they do well scoring films together," which one would assume is about a 50/50 split in terms of creative input, and NIN is trent's baby, which means atticus has far less input, wouldn't that mean that atticus is NOT responsible for "the last decade of NIN material" being "weak"?

p.s. the only thing i haven't liked in the last 10 years of NIN (and anything trent-related) is most of year zero. everything else is golden, in my book.

AndrewTDaC
08-21-2013, 09:06 AM
if "they do well scoring films together," which one would assume is about a 50/50 split in terms of creative input, and NIN is trent's baby, which means atticus has far less input, wouldn't that mean that atticus is NOT responsible for "the last decade of NIN material" being "weak"?

p.s. the only thing i haven't liked in the last 10 years of NIN (and anything trent-related) is most of year zero. everything else is golden, in my book.

tbh, the only reason I stated that they did well scoring films together is because of the critical claim those scores received... In my opinion, those two scores aren't anything special... I just find it funny that since atticus became trents right hand man (with teeth forward), most of trents output is subpar (including the scores, htda, nin). overproduced, safe, watered-down, obvious, recycled... just a few words come to mind. again, just opinion from a long time fan.

Amaro
08-21-2013, 09:09 AM

Trent wrote Everything. It feels and sounds quite new to me. No audio engineer could change what I'm sure you don't like about it.

Inkė
08-21-2013, 09:24 AM
With Teeth is the only song I really can't stand. Everytime I listen BYIT, it litteraly ruins the atmosphere. Wow

jrdsctt
08-21-2013, 09:35 AM
I cannot stand "Letting You". That's about it though.

broevol
08-21-2013, 09:50 AM
A few days ago "Everything" would have been at the top of my list, but honestly..It's not gonna make the cut.
These are the songs I ALWAYS skip over, so that must mean they are my least favorite:

Physical
Deep
Dead Souls
Every song on WT except: EVIETS, Sunspots, Beside you in time and Right Where it Belongs
Survivalism
Capital G
Every song on the Slip except Demon Seed

goingincirclez
08-21-2013, 10:52 AM
The Collector - Yeah we all know Trent's not quite a lyrical savant at times, and he's re-used themes and motifs en route to forging lovable cliches, and hell there are arguably worse amalgams of awkward phrasing in the catalog.... but this is still the only song that makes me cringe. I like WT but skip this one almost every time. It IS much better live though... or maybe I'm just forced to listen to it then.

Starfuckers Inc - Speaking of cliches, I'll reuse the standby: this song is a turgid overripe boil on the Fragile. It reminds me of The Perfect Drug sonically, and makes me wonder if it wasn't lying around and just shoved in to fill space. I like it well enough, I just have a love/hate relationship with its placement.

Capital G - An entirely too obvious political statement, this song was cartoony when new and now just feels dated. And not in the respectable "song of its time" way as so much Boomer Rock evokes the 60's and vietnam. The OCD completist in me couldn't even be arsed to chase down the single for my collection.

Still, the title of this thread is appropriate, as I don't really *hate* any of them. I just don't add them to my own playlists.

tony.parente
08-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Just wanna add hurt to the list.

henryeatscereal
08-21-2013, 11:28 AM
http://unrealitymag.bcmediagroup.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/exploding_head_3.jpg

OSLIN
08-21-2013, 11:39 AM

I want to hurt you today.

tony.parente
08-21-2013, 11:40 AM
http://unrealitymag.bcmediagroup.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/exploding_head_3.jpg

I know I know...and one of my favorite songs is The Collector, and I LOVE Deep.

Idk.

I'm a special little flower.

OSLIN
08-21-2013, 11:45 AM

Idk.

And don't forger motherfucking A Violet Fluid.

Best NIN song, hands down.

deepblue
08-21-2013, 12:12 PM
This may be controversial but I don't like most of The Downward Spiral and Broken. Way too distorted, too much screaming and almost no melody. I can't believe that so many fans like these hard to listen albums. Seriously, TOO MUCH SCREAMING ruined most songs from TDS / Broken. The other albums are much better (at least sonically).

My favorite albums? The Slip (probably the best NIN album, VERY underrated), Pretty Hate Machine, Ghosts I-IV, With Teeth, and (parts of) The Fragile and Year Zero.

PS: People probably hate The Slip because it isn't as noisy as NIN's classic albums.

tony.parente
08-21-2013, 12:14 PM
And don't forger motherfucking A Violet Fluid.

Best NIN song, hands down.

I prefer a warm place.
:)

OSLIN
08-21-2013, 12:22 PM
I prefer a warm place.
:)

You talking about that David Bowie rip off? :)

henryeatscereal
08-21-2013, 02:01 PM

Idk.

I have no problem with "The Collector" ....but "Deep"? seriously?

screwdriver
08-21-2013, 02:06 PM
The Collector - Yeah we all know Trent's not quite a lyrical savant at times, and he's re-used themes and motifs en route to forging lovable cliches, and hell there are arguably worse amalgams of awkward phrasing in the catalog.... but this is still the only song that makes me cringe. I like WT but skip this one almost every time. It IS much better live though... or maybe I'm just forced to listen to it then.

Capital G - An entirely too obvious political statement, this song was cartoony when new and now just feels dated. And not in the respectable "song of its time" way as so much Boomer Rock evokes the 60's and vietnam. The OCD completist in me couldn't even be arsed to chase down the single for my collection.

Agreed on both of these totally! What kills me is that the Collector is just an absolutely ass-kicking recording, but I can't ... get... over... the lyrics.

I still love Starfuckers, and probably always will. Too many good memories of blaring that and goddammit the recording sounds great

Year Zero generally is a big mix of <yawn> or <ugh> for me. The songs tend to be pretty killer live, but the recorded versions are not my cup of tea.

spahn
08-21-2013, 02:10 PM
black bomb (jerry in the bag) ;)

EndlessLoveless
08-21-2013, 02:18 PM
-Angel
-comfortably numb cover feat. david bowie and david gilmour

eversonpoe
08-21-2013, 02:42 PM
You talking about that David Bowie rip off? :)

TRENT REZNOR WROTE CRYSTAL JAPAN!

oh, wait...i'm not promethean. sorry. got confused for a second. :p

OSLIN
08-21-2013, 02:49 PM
TRENT REZNOR WROTE CRYSTAL JAPAN!

oh, wait...i'm not promethean. sorry. got confused for a second. :p

Oh I forgot, in my defense Bowie did doodle on that track.

henryeatscereal
08-21-2013, 09:00 PM
-Angel
-comfortably numb cover feat. david bowie and david gilmour
I remember back in 99' when Napster was still free that i downloaded both tracks, i fell for it so bad...

Ryan
08-22-2013, 12:13 AM
Whenever this question comes up the first song that always pops into my head is "Letting You".

Just don't like it for some reason.

Halo Infinity
08-26-2013, 12:25 AM
The top two that really came to mind were Underneath It All and Getting Smaller. I also couldn't really get into Me, I'm Not that much either.

Transfixed
08-26-2013, 01:05 AM
I never really liked 1,000,000, My Violent Heart, The Collector, Getting Smaller, Letting You, The Beginning of The End, You Know What You Are, Into The Void, Please, Heresy, Big Man With A Gun, I Don't Not Want This, Kinda I Want To, The Hand That Feeds.

These are the weakest of the catalog in my opinion.

The greatest NIN song of all time is Ruiner, followed by Beside You In Time.

Sutekh
08-26-2013, 05:06 AM
Half of PHM and half with teeth are a but dull. A couple tracks on the fragile hold it up a bit (please/no you don't)

the rest is all good... Actually pretty embarassed how much of a fanboy I am

hobochic
08-26-2013, 05:35 AM
Please, Heresy, Big Man With A Gun, I Don't Not Want This.

These are the weakest of the catalog in my opinion.

One simply does not list great music as weak with no explanation. So I'm in a minority in loving Please, I've noticed that for a while, but Heresy? What's weak about it? The beats? The lyrics? The samples? The awesome?

That's what bothers me about favorite/least favorite "lists" as they say nothing other than title names without digging deeper into reasons or opinions that might be an interesting read.

thelordoflard
08-26-2013, 06:09 AM
One simply does not list great music as weak with no explanation. So I'm in a minority in loving Please, I've noticed that for a while, but Heresy? What's weak about it? The beats? The lyrics? The samples? The awesome?

That's what bothers me about favorite/least favorite "lists" as they say nothing other than title names without digging deeper into reasons or opinions that might be an interesting read.

Here you go:

"With Teeth" (the song)
I'm particularly not a fan of the interlude bit, I feel it breaks the track in 2 in an unnatural way. Also not the biggest fan of the distorted guitar in it, I can only describe it as a irritating sound! I love the lyrics, singing and bassline though. I still skip this track most of the time.

"Physical"
I find the song cheesy and uncomfortable. Lyrics make me roll my eyes and Trents voice doesn't sound so good IMO. In the context of Broken, I find it stupid.

Note: These are opinions/views and may not necessarily reflect your own views

P.S. Please is one of the greatest NIN tracks of all time ;)

niggo
08-26-2013, 06:16 AM
Although I love the lyrics of Me, I'm Not ("If I take it all back /someway somehow /If I knew back then /what I know right now"), I really don't like the overall sound of it. It just sounds boring to me. I much prefer the halo33 remix.

Other than that, there are very few songs I really can't stand. Even the ones I usually skip are still pretty descent. Anyway, my top 5 of my least favorite tracks would look something like this, I guess (no particular order):

1. Me, I'm Not
2. Pilgrimage
3. The Greater Good
4. Ripe
5. Kinda I Want To

eversonpoe
08-26-2013, 07:54 AM
"Physical"
I find the song cheesy and uncomfortable. Lyrics make me roll my eyes and Trents voice doesn't sound so good IMO. In the context of Broken, I find it stupid.

you know it's a cover of an adam ant song, right?

thelordoflard
08-26-2013, 08:15 AM
you know it's a cover of an adam ant song, right?

Yes and not a fan of the original either

Transfixed
08-26-2013, 11:24 AM
...but Heresy? What's weak about it? The beats? The lyrics? The samples? The awesome?

I find Heresy too sonically messy, and the screaming chorus of those frankly awful lyrics... just was never a fan. The whole concept of "Fuck your god, I'm going to hell, see you there motherfuckerz!" just always grated on me.

Inkė
08-26-2013, 11:34 AM
Heresy is weak when played live. Not in the album.

halo33
08-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Although I love the lyrics of Me, I'm Not ("If I take it all back /someway somehow /If I knew back then /what I know right now"), I really don't like the overall sound of it. It just sounds boring to me. I much prefer the halo33 remix.

wow. thanks for that!

Dryalex12
08-26-2013, 03:25 PM
I was never really a big fan of Complication,but other then that.....I love them all
my favorites are

PHM:
Something I can Never Have
Terrible Lie
HLAH

Broken:
Suck
Wish
Help Me I am In Hell

Fixed:
FIST FUCK

TDS:
Hurt
A Warm Place
Closer

FDTS:
Hurt(quiet)
Reptilian

The Fragile:
The Day The World Went Away (both regular and quiet versions)
La Mer
The Great Below
Ripe
The Way Out Is Through
Underneath It All
Somewhat Damaged

Still:
tracks 1-9

:A-WITH THE TEETH-UH
Everyday Is Exactly The Same
With Teeth
The Lines Begin To Blur
Beside You In Time
Right Where It Belongs
Home
Non-Entity

Year Zero:
The Warning
Another Version of the Truth
In This Twilight
Zero-Sum

Ghost:
1 Ghost I - 38 Ghost IV

The Slip:
Exoplex
Lights In The Sky
Corona Radiata

Hesitation Marks:
The Eater of Dreams
Copy of A
Find My Way
Black Noise

Others:
Deep
What If We Could?
Burn

Least Favorite:
Complication

niggo
08-26-2013, 03:34 PM
wow. thanks for that!
Didn't expect to see you here, what a nice surprise. You're welcome, man. Keep it up!

Ryan
02-27-2015, 06:28 AM
"All your hurt sticks on me and I keep it warm." Yeah, that wasn't that good. Like, at all.

However, it soon follows with "There are so god damn many of them it gets hard to breathe" and I'm happy again.

henryeatscereal
02-27-2015, 01:23 PM
I'm pretty sure this will be a shock to everyone but i'm not really into "Everything"...

katara
02-27-2015, 05:21 PM
The Only Time is/was great live but the studio version is quite lame in comparison.
Same with You Know What You Are? - fun live but the studio version doesn't hold up for me.
Not So Pretty Now is the worst NIN song of all time.
Non-Entity's original piano version is beautiful. However, the later studio version is dull and drags.
Capital G: I really need to be in the right mood, otherwise I skip it.
Disappointed: drags its arse along the floor for far too long. Nothing really happens. I feel like so much more could have been done with the ending of the song. The live visuals are great, though.
Running: Moments of brilliance but otherwise highly repetitive. Skip!
There are two or three Ghosts songs I always skip, too, but I never remember which ones they are.

Edit: I love Hurt on the album but it's terrible live. I hate the out of tune singalong aspect of it and the way people yell ridiculous shit. It also almost always closes the set, too, which is a downer.

nooneimportant
02-27-2015, 05:22 PM
My least favorite NIN track is probably the studio version of Somewhat Damaged. I mean it's good but Trent hit that shit out of the park when he redid it for the live shows after Fragility.

SuperNINtendo Chalmers
02-27-2015, 06:49 PM
My least favorite NIN track is probably the studio version of Somewhat Damaged. I mean it's good but Trent hit that shit out of the park when he redid it for the live shows after Fragility.

Huh. I couldn't disagree more, love it live, but the production elements of the studio version make this my absolute all-time fav NIN song, even if I don't necessarily think it's the best thing he's ever written.

BRoswell
02-27-2015, 06:59 PM
Non-Entity's original piano version is beautiful. However, the later studio version is dull and drags.

Not for nothing, but I'm pretty sure the studio version came first.

Agreed. I don't think there are any truly bad NIN songs. If I had to pick least favorites:

Purest Feeling
I Do Not Want This
All The Love In The World
The Warning
The Four Of Us Are Dying
The Day The World Went Away (Porter Ricks Mix)
Me, I'm Not (Olof Dreijer Mix)

From my old list, I need to remove I Do Not Want This and All The Love In The World. I've since grown quite fond of those tracks, and I'd probably replace them with Corona Radiata (which should be half as long as it is on The Slip) and Running.

GlitchyFlame
02-27-2015, 07:45 PM
Pretty Hate Machine:
HLAH
"I love NIN, that Head Like Your Hole and Fuck You Like an Animal are my favorites!!!" - I'm not a NIN hipster by any means, but I skip to Terrible Lie every time I listen to PHM. Even the live HLAH has worn off on me.

Broken:
Physical
Worse than Metal.

Fixed:
Gave Up (Coil Mix)
Outstays its welcome and i'm not the biggest fan of the chopping up of Trent's voice but the ending of the song kicks ass.
Wish (J.G Thirlwell)
Boring as fuck.
Fist Fuck
Wish (J.G Thirlwell) Part 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Downward Spiral:
N/A

Further Down the Spiral:
Ruiner (Version)
Sounds like it was made with Sytrus. I wish that CC's Heresy replaced this on the US version.

The Fragile:
Starfuckers inc.
This song isn't bad by any means, but it just doesn't fit the atmosphere of the fragile. If this song was redone by Manson for Holy Wood it would have been fantastic.

Things Falling Apart:
All of the Starfuckers remixes
Nothing needs to be said here.
Metal
Trent's most boring cover yet!

Still:
N/A

With Teeth:
The Hand That Feeds
Boring sound, boring lyrics, just boring. NIN's closest Pop-Rock song.

Year Zero:
N/A

Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D:
Everything besides The Warning and The Great Destroyer
The worst thing to be officially released under Nine Inch Nails

Ghosts:
38 Ghosts IV
Does this even count? Anyway, demo of Demon Seed. Nothing else.

The Slip:
Discipline
The perfect example of why Trent shouldn't experiment with releasing albums without it being pro-tooled to death.

Hesitation Marks:
Disappointed
Trent's worst vocal performance by far. "Look at yooooooouuuu supeeeeermaaaaaan withhh alll the woooooooorld toooo savveeeeee" is one of the worst lyrics TR has ever written.

Hesitation Marks Remixes (Including Seed Eight and the bonus disc):
Everything (Autolux)
The Starfuckers (version)s of 2013.

Ryan
02-27-2015, 08:44 PM
The Starfuckers (version)s of 2013.

Where are they?

BenAkenobi
02-28-2015, 12:23 AM
that was GlitchyFlame's description of Autolux remix, I guess :) I personally think they aren't bad, especially the final track (Clouser's)

katara
02-28-2015, 06:37 AM

Not for nothing, but I'm pretty sure the studio version came first.
Apologies! I did not know that. Is there a source for this? I was convinced that he said he wrote it on the bus on the way to the concert after being told that it was a completely unplugged show. If he wrote it before, maybe he just re-arranged the song.

Khrz
02-28-2015, 06:52 AM
I Do Not Want This

I Do Not Want This is a slow burner, but when it burns it fucking scorches.

hobochic
02-28-2015, 07:29 AM
Disappointed
Trent's worst vocal performance by far. "Look at yooooooouuuu supeeeeermaaaaaan withhh alll the woooooooorld toooo savveeeeee" is one of the worst lyrics TR has ever written.

Good call. I've always cringed to all the songs and singers who use the all mighty "superman" metaphor in their lyrics. The list is long and painful and not even our own little "superman" managed to pull it off.

"Batman" would've been refreshing and original as fuck, but "Spiderman" could've worked as a nod to Robert Smith's Lullaby.

This is as "deep" as superman gets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otx0Bnru0dY

WorzelG
02-28-2015, 09:00 AM
Disappointed: drags its arse along the floor for far too long. Nothing really happens. I feel like so much more could have been done with the ending of the song.

check out the Le Zenith, Paris performance of this in YouTube in 2014, there's a load of additional piano towards the end that really improve the ending of the song

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvG3OPEThSc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

BenAkenobi
02-28-2015, 10:22 AM
Oh my, I thought that line read "Look at you, simple man" :D

botley
02-28-2015, 11:29 AM
Superman goes back much further, at least to Nietzsche (you know, that guy who wrote the chorus from "Heresy").

hobochic
03-01-2015, 11:11 AM
Superman goes back much further, at least to Nietzsche (you know, that guy who wrote the chorus from "Heresy").

As much as Nietzsche influenced the nihilism of TDS it still doesn't make the "with all the woooooorld too saaaaaaave" sound good.

botley
03-01-2015, 11:24 AM
As much as Nietzsche influenced the nihilism of TDS it still doesn't make the "with all the woooooorld too saaaaaaave" sound good.

No, but the cool effect on the vocal and the careful phrasing of the whole verse totally does. I love this song.

henryeatscereal
03-01-2015, 11:43 AM
I think that the "Superman" reference is cheesy too, but that doesn't make me dislike "Dissapointed", actually it's one of my faves from HM.

botley
03-01-2015, 11:57 AM
Maybe because the childish, mocking tone of voice is absolutely intentional.

henryeatscereal
03-01-2015, 12:00 PM
Maybe because the childish, mocking tone of voice is absolutely intentional.
sounds like it, the music is awesome though...

eversonpoe
03-02-2015, 01:22 PM
Broken:
Physical
Worse than Metal.

Things Falling Apart:
Metal
Trent's most boring cover yet!

man, i could not disagree with you more. metal takes my second-favorite gary numan song, infuses it with elements from some of my other favorite gary numan songs, and is so creepy and haunting, and far outshines the original.
and physical is AWESOME and fun and sexy!

mfte
03-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Only is hard to listen to. Feels like a song that didn't get out of the demo phase and was thrown on the record for whatever reason. I get the lyrics and vocals are meant to be stream of consciousness but it doesn't really work for my tastes. The bass guitar line is really boring.

Underneath it All feels like a thoughtless throwaway. Not sure why it made it onto The Fragile apart from the fact that it sounds different than the other material.

That The end is the beginning song feels uninspired. You'd think that he would stop and think "Hey this kinda sounds a lot like Mr Superstar, maybe i should try and write a different riff" also really does not feel like the sound of it fits with the rest of the album.

Khrz
03-02-2015, 05:28 PM
So very wrong...