PDA

View Full Version : Soundgarden

Pages : [1] 2 3

theruiner
04-05-2012, 12:35 AM
I'm shocked there's no Soundgarden thread. Shocked.

Well, anyway, I'm not even a Soundgarden fan, but I figured we have some people here who might appreciate, I don't know...their first new song in 15 years. (http://tinyurl.com/7pdkbwe) And stuff.

imail724
04-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Yeah I just heard this song yesterday. Was real excited to hear the first new song in 15 years... but it's crap.

BenAkenobi
04-05-2012, 11:49 AM
they're great, badmotorfinger is my favourite, wish there was a contemporary band of such magnitude

PooPooMeowChow
04-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Am I the only one that has a problem with them tagging their songs on to other products? This song coming out with Avengers, and the last song came out with Guitar Hero. Is that not selling out?

EDIT: just heard the new song, its utter garbage. Sounds like a rejected Audioslave song.

Twiggy
04-17-2012, 08:53 AM
Not bad, something new.... Will be interesting to see what the album is like. Supposedly very different to this.

Free download of a new version on iTunes with an extended solo.

Waiting for the new album really seeing this is more aimed at the movie. They have done music before for Soundtracks but nothing like The Avengers....

Madmya
04-20-2012, 06:41 AM
It actually is worse than an Audioslave song (I love Audioslave). Apparently in an interview Cornell has said that the album won't sound like this song. So I'm guessing it's a money-making B-side. I'm still holding out hope, but am prepared for disappointment. It doesn't really matter though, nothing will take away their back catalogue that I hold so precious. Best band ever.

Edit: Sorry read every post 'cept the one above. No one has probably thrown money at them for a single except for The Avengers too. Will it be on their album? It's pleasing that indications say no, shows that they are taking it seriously. It's a really simple song which smacks of Cornell's Carry On album, boring riff with Audioslave song structure.

Twiggy
04-20-2012, 05:07 PM
I actually don't mind the song and the free extended version with the longer solo but its nothing like their back catalog. They have stated they only got approached to do the song about a month or so ago and put something together quickly for it. I don't think it will be on the album unless its just throw in as an extra track.

I do love Black Rain but that was recorded back in the Bad Motor finger days. I'm hoping for more of the classic Cornell screams and hails...

I still have high hopes for the album...

It actually is worse than an Audioslave song (I love Audioslave). Apparently in an interview Cornell has said that the album won't sound like this song. So I'm guessing it's a money-making B-side. I'm still holding out hope, but am prepared for disappointment. It doesn't really matter though, nothing will take away their back catalogue that I hold so precious. Best band ever.

Edit: Sorry read every post 'cept the one above. No one has probably thrown money at them for a single except for The Avengers too. Will it be on their album? It's pleasing that indications say no, shows that they are taking it seriously. It's a really simple song which smacks of Cornell's Carry On album, boring riff with Audioslave song structure.

MrSlfDstruct
04-20-2012, 05:17 PM
I don't know if Cornell is capable of his classic screams anymore. His voice definitely sounded worn out in any live performances I saw from him in the Audioslave days. Shame, because he used to be pretty beastly.

wight rabbit
04-21-2012, 01:46 AM
I don't know if Cornell is capable of his classic screams anymore. His voice definitely sounded worn out in any live performances I saw from him in the Audioslave days. Shame, because he used to be pretty beastly.

When you wail the way he did, eventually your voice says, "I'm sorry, man... I just can't do it anymore." What he has been doing recently has been nice when he's not strained, but I don't think we'll ever hear him scream like that again.

Failure
04-21-2012, 10:00 AM
When you wail the way he did, eventually your voice says, "I'm sorry, man... I just can't do it anymore." What he has been doing recently has been nice when he's not strained, but I don't think we'll ever hear him scream like that again.

He can still scream. Check out "Songbook" (particularly "As Hope And Promise Fade" and "Call Me A Dog"). His voice is back in top form. I mean, it's never going to be like "Jesus Christ Pose" in 1990 at the Paramount. But clean living has done him well.

wight rabbit
04-21-2012, 11:23 PM
That's exactly what I mean. The reunion show proved he can hit those notes again, he just can't do it the same way that he used to (i.e. "Jesus Christ Pose"). Example video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crILNt7-kj8

Hearing that first wail gave me chills the first time I heard it.

Edit: And the "Black Rain" performance on Conan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ISX9T8dG00

Kodiak33
08-21-2012, 12:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZbYRIJIm4w

New song!

LaneSax
08-21-2012, 12:43 PM
finally! It's alright yeh but hard to judge with 35 seconds.

Madmya
08-22-2012, 07:25 AM
I'm just glad it doesn't sound generic. Excite!

Madmya
09-17-2012, 07:04 AM
http://youtu.be/KkecIBT7hME

Love it.

Kodiak33
09-17-2012, 07:15 AM
I'm ready for the radio rip today...

Madmya
09-18-2012, 05:30 AM
Tracklisting:

Been Away Too Long
Non-State Actor
By Crooked Steps
A Thousand Days Before
Blood On The Valley Floor
Bones of Birds
Taree
Attrition
Black Saturday
Halfway There
Worse Dreams
Eyelid’s Mouth
Rowing

Deluxe edition bonus tracks:
Spoonman (Fiera De Milano, June 4, 2012)
Black Hole Sun (Fiera De Milano, June 4, 2012)
Rusty Cage (Fiera De Milano, June 4, 2012)

The general consensus is that the song in the trailer is 'Rowing', purely from the lyrics you hear in the background.

Kodiak33
09-18-2012, 06:50 AM
I guess the new song was supposed to come out tomorrow, and not yesterday. My bad...

LaneSax
09-18-2012, 09:03 AM
must say the Deluxe bonus tracks are kinda disappointing

PooPooMeowChow
09-18-2012, 01:04 PM
I guess the new song was supposed to come out tomorrow, and not yesterday. My bad...

Digital version will be released next week.

Kodiak33
09-18-2012, 01:51 PM
Supposedly radio stations can start playing it tomorrow. We'll see...

henryeatscereal
09-18-2012, 04:46 PM
Just crossing my fingers this isn't as mediocre as the Avengers track... (or Cornell's "Scream" for that matter...)

Madmya
09-19-2012, 06:55 AM
Disappointed about the deluxe songs too, we've heard live versions of those songs a million times in various forms... yawn.

Quietly confident it won't be like the Avengers track, Chris has kinda said that it was a throw away song without actually saying it. But we'll see. The teasers don't suggest generic songs.

Madmya
09-20-2012, 04:33 AM
Delayed for a week :(

Everyone has been calling, texting, and emailing from all over the world, asking about the new Soundgarden song "Been Away Too Long". Mike Hsu (http://www.waaf.com/pages/11790511.php)and I had a chance to hear it last week, and once we sent out a few tweets about it... the questions started. Well, we were told that it was coming sometime this week, but that has changed. Bands have to be ready to launch a new song. They need to have it up online for purchase, because they know that once it gets played on the radio, if it's good, you guys will want to buy it right away. And trust me, you'll want to buy this new Soundgarden. Well, I guess the song hasn't been uploaded to all of the online music sites in time to release it this week, so they have delayed the release until next Thursday 9/27. So, until then... here is the press release with all of the details on the album, and a video teaser to hold you over.

http://www.waaf.com/More-details-on-the-NEW-Soundgarden-song-and-album-/11278803?pid=266436

Kodiak33
09-26-2012, 06:47 AM
This is out on Mexican iTunes, but here is a snippet...

http://a1.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/120/Music/f0/94/2b/mzi.ofsfnzwi.aac.p.m4a

I got this from Grunge Report.

LaneSax
09-26-2012, 08:36 AM
http://www.speedyshare.com/xV72F/01-Been-Away-Too-Long.m4a full track.

It's pretty good!

Madmya
09-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Yeah not bad. The last half of the song is awesome, just not a huge fan of the stop start stuff at the start. Still hyped for the album!

bobbie solo
09-27-2012, 12:41 AM
wow...that was really really boring. i'm very disappointed. still waiting for something new from them that actually kicks some butt.

Madmya
09-27-2012, 05:06 AM
The song's grown on me a lot. That bridge is awesome.

wight rabbit
09-27-2012, 12:21 PM
It's not bad... Cornell's voice weirds me out a bit, though, as he sounds like he's straining a bit to hit some notes.

BenAkenobi
09-27-2012, 03:02 PM
i like opening tracks of all three audioslave albums more
throw potatoes at me

henryeatscereal
09-27-2012, 05:06 PM
i like opening tracks of all three audioslave albums more
throw potatoes at me
No problem, i like them too, so sad the third album is so mediocre

The Doctor
09-28-2012, 02:55 PM
No problem, i like them too, so sad the third album is so mediocre

I think the third is way better than Out of Exile. It bored me a LOT.

PooPooMeowChow
09-28-2012, 03:20 PM
Revelations had some great songs like Wide Awake, Jewel of The Summertime, Original Fire, Broken City and Moth.
BUT the songs One and the Same, Sound of a Gun, Shape of Things to Come all sound the exact same.
Until We Fall,Nothing Left to Say But Goodbye, Somedays are complete forgettable.

I'm not sure about Been Away Too Long but I don't like Pretty Noose or Let Me drown.

DF118
09-28-2012, 03:30 PM
I really like the two newest Soundgarden tracks I know of. I think I prefer the song for the Avengers soundtrack though.

That said, if this album has any dubstep on it anywhere, I'm done with music forever.

henryeatscereal
09-28-2012, 05:54 PM
I think the third is way better than Out of Exile. It bored me a LOT.
I think they took more chances with "Out of exile", it's not an awesome album but they surely went other places sonically
"Revelations" sounds a bit like a generic version of their first album to me, it bores me more and i hardly play it for that reason, but there's a couple awesome tracks in that one

Madmya
09-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Self-titled is Audioslave's best, no doubt about it. I do love Nothing Left to Say But Goodbye though, since someone rubbished it above. Having said that, I hate Jewel of the Summertime. Each to their own I guess!

I've got complete faith that this Soundgarden album is going to be awesome though. I've listened to the King Animal trailer more times than I care to mention.

aggroculture
09-29-2012, 08:21 AM
On first listen new song is kind of meh. Certainly doesn't have that wow factor of Spoonman or Black Hole Sun, but I guess 20 years later there's no reason why it should. I will check out this album with low expectations, and perhaps find a couple of good tracks.

Audioslave were horribly bland corporate radio rock. Even the good songs (Cochise and Dandelion come to mind) weren't that good.

Kodiak33
10-01-2012, 11:53 AM
They are playing a clip of "Crooked Steps" during Monday Night Football tonight...

Madmya
10-02-2012, 03:32 AM
Audioslave were horribly bland corporate radio rock. Even the good songs (Cochise and Dandelion come to mind) weren't that good.

I wouldn't call them 'the good songs'.

BenAkenobi
10-02-2012, 05:10 AM
i meant those other songs were way more recognizable, with their own character. maybe you just were never in the right mood for them?

Kodiak33
10-16-2012, 06:58 AM
http://grungereport.net/?p=17028

I cannot wait.

Madmya
10-16-2012, 05:15 PM
Cool shit, cant wait for November 9!

i meant those other songs were way more recognizable, with their own character. maybe you just were never in the right mood for them?

Well I've listened to a lot of Audioslave, so chances are I would have listened to them in a variety of moods. I don't hate those songs, they just don't rank when it comes my favourite Audioslave songs. Songs like Getaway Car and The Last Remaining Light, which aren't corporate radio rock, are excellent.

Madmya
10-23-2012, 07:39 AM
http://youtu.be/caKJw223pu4

Kodiak33
10-31-2012, 11:52 AM
http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/live/soundgarden-song-check-non-state-actor-exclusive-interview-155804275.html

Fuck, that sounds awesome. Pretty complex.

PooPooMeowChow
10-31-2012, 01:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KIDInlJJFb0

LaneSax
11-01-2012, 04:08 AM
for some reason it reminds me of "Live to Rise".

Really not impressed by any of the new songs so far

Madmya
11-01-2012, 11:08 AM
No way, Non-State Actor is nothing like Live to Rise. So much better.

Here's a fresh one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkPPgDTyucE

Kid Charlemagne
11-01-2012, 11:55 AM
I hated Audioslave, which makes me feel so dirty for admitting that I think "Cochise" was dope.

wight rabbit
11-01-2012, 03:52 PM
I hated Audioslave, which makes me feel so dirty for admitting that I think "Cochise" was dope.

Why? "Cochise" sounded a little bit different than the rest of what they put out...

As for the new song... It's okay. If those two tracks are indications of what the rest of the album will sound like, I vote "meh." Something just seems empty... I don't know if it's the mix, the instrumentation, or Chris' vocals.

Kodiak33
11-01-2012, 04:45 PM
I think the vocal mix is the only issue. Everything else sounds awesome, Cornell still has the pipes, so I assume it's a radio thing.

PooPooMeowChow
11-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Halfway There sounds like a Carry On demo, which by the sounds of it the rest of band had nothing to do with it.

officially expecting this album to suck.

Madmya
11-03-2012, 07:31 PM
Yeah it does sound like Carry On. I don't see that as a necessarily bad thing though, it sounds alright in the preview.

I'm expecting it to be good, not Superunknown or Down on the Upside great, but good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDFr1n9epeg

Kodiak33
11-04-2012, 06:11 PM
http://www.amazon.fr/gp/recsradio/radio/B009AZZEU2/ref=pd_krex_dp_001_002?ie=UTF8&disc=001&track=002

A poster on at ease Web found these 30 second previews.

perch
11-05-2012, 02:13 AM
No matter how much I like Cameron's footprint in Pearl Jam, in the end his home is with Soundgarden. That said, I'm pretty damn excited about King Animal and if the so far heard song are any indication, the album is taking off where Down On The Upside finished. More than fine with me.

Madmya
11-05-2012, 04:49 AM
http://www.amazon.fr/gp/recsradio/radio/B009AZZEU2/ref=pd_krex_dp_001_002?ie=UTF8&disc=001&track=002

A poster on at ease Web found these 30 second previews.

Oh wow, that is excellent. Thanks heaps for posting that! Sounds fucking good!

Madmya
11-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Apparently this is starting to leak now but I'm deliberately avoiding until I get the CD in my hands on Friday. But those 30 second clips have me pretty damn excited. Love the sound of A Thousands Days Before, Bones of Birds, Taree and Rowing. Even the demos of Worse Dreams and By Crooked Steps sound amazing.

Kodiak33
11-05-2012, 06:48 PM
http://www.dr.dk/p3/programmer/smag-paa-p3/2012/11/05/eksklusiv-snigpremiere-hor-de-fem-forste-numre-fra-soundgardens-nye-album?clip=been-away-too-long#clip14779

Three more full songs.

henryeatscereal
11-05-2012, 08:57 PM
No matter how much I like Cameron's footprint in Pearl Jam, in the end his home is with Soundgarden. That said, I'm pretty damn excited about King Animal and if the so far heard song are any indication, the album is taking off where Down On The Upside finished. More than fine with me.
I would like that too, but judging from the released tracks it seems the album will sound more like "Louder than Love" and "Ultramega OK" ...and Audioslave's first titled album :(

Madmya
11-06-2012, 01:16 AM
Are you basing that off Been Away Too Long and Non-State Actor henryeatscereal? If so I can probably understand that, I love Louder than Love and Ultramega OK anyway so I wouldn't have a problem with that. But By Crooked Steps reminds me of Rhinosaur and Thousand Years Before is definitely more reminiscent of Down on the Upside, as is both Bones of Birds and Taree.

In fact other than Been Away Too Long I don't think any of it is like Louder Than Love and Ultramega OK.

I fucking caved and listened to By Crooked Steps and A Thousand Years Before from the link above, fucking amazing songs. Fully pumped. This might actually rival Koi No Yokan (wasn't expecting it to at all).

perch
11-06-2012, 03:32 AM
This might actually rival Koi No Yokan and Crystal Castles (III).Bring it on! :D

My earlier point was not (just) that it sounds similar to Down On The Upside but that they stayed more or less true to their sound and did not cave in and made super-easily accessible album which strongest selling point would be "the return of the grunge band from the 90ies known after their smash hit 'Black Hole Sun' ".

Madmya
11-06-2012, 05:46 AM
Full album stream. I've caved and listened to Taree. Dying to listen to Bones of Birds in full, as well as Worse Dreams and Rowing. But holding off.

http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?blog=1&title=soundgarden_king_animal_album_stream

scotty79
11-06-2012, 08:25 AM
full album available on a certain torrent site aswell, says its 320kbps will find out soon enough

BrokenSpiral
11-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Makes me miss my computer. Can't listen to the NME stream, iTunes stream apparently doesn't work on the iPhone. And can't download. Bummer.

BenAkenobi
11-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Non-state actor sounds like Chris was limiting his voice throughout all song and i totally expected the bubble to burst. Needless to say, i got fooled. Nice guitars tho

BrokenSpiral
11-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Have computer access. Can anyone point me in the direction of one of those dripping pipes?

scotty79
11-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Have computer access. Can anyone point me in the direction of one of those dripping pipes?

Pm'd you, attrition is superb, probably my favourite so far

BrokenSpiral
11-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Thank you kind sir.

henryeatscereal
11-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Are you basing that off Been Away Too Long and Non-State Actor henryeatscereal? If so I can probably understand that, I love Louder than Love and Ultramega OK anyway so I wouldn't have a problem with that. But By Crooked Steps reminds me of Rhinosaur and Thousand Years Before is definitely more reminiscent of Down on the Upside, as is both Bones of Birds and Taree.

In fact other than Been Away Too Long I don't think any of it is like Louder Than Love and Ultramega OK.

I fucking caved and listened to By Crooked Steps and A Thousand Years Before from the link above, fucking amazing songs. Fully pumped. This might actually rival Koi No Yokan (wasn't expecting it to at all).
Yes i said that mostly because "Been Away Too Long", i do love "Louder than Love" and "Ultramega Ok" but as you guys said: it would make more sense to continue the path from "Down on the Upside", i can hear the "Rhinosaur" connection in "By Crooked Steps" and i think it's the best song i've heard yet.

Haven't listened to the stream, is it any good?

PooPooMeowChow
11-06-2012, 02:36 PM
This album is awesome just because it doesn't suck.

How many other bands have reunited after 15 years and produced an album that's (at least) equal to their past efforts?

scotty79
11-06-2012, 03:15 PM
for anyone in the uk they're on later with jools holland tonight on bbc2 at 10pm

Madmya
11-06-2012, 04:20 PM

Hahaha so true. I think that's what I'm so pumped about. Been Away Too Long is definitely one of the worse songs on the album... that's great.

imail724
11-06-2012, 06:28 PM

How many other bands have reunited after 15 years and produced an album that's (at least) equal to their past efforts?Primus. Although only 12 years for them.

PooPooMeowChow
11-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Primus. Although only 12 years for them.

good call.

so Rowing is catchy as fuck.

Madmya
11-07-2012, 02:48 AM
Just listened to Rowing. Holy fuck that is one rad song.

Shnoorum
11-08-2012, 03:46 AM
I adore the new album. Reminds me alot of Down On The Upside

Madmya
11-08-2012, 03:58 AM
Yeah I'm in love with A Thousand Days Before and Rowing. I'm now convinced that Been Away Too Long is the weakest on the album. Only 13 more hours and I'll have this and Koi No Yokan in my hot little hands. The two best albums in god knows how long for me on the same day.

November 9. I love you. Love Mads.

fillow
11-08-2012, 09:10 AM
Primus. Although only 12 years for them.
also Bauhaus

Kodiak33
11-08-2012, 10:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RpziCYz2iU&feature=related

Chris hasn't lost his pipes. I don't know why they put so many effects on his voice on the album.

scotty79
11-08-2012, 12:49 PM
When watchin that I thought there was too much echo on his voice and with rusty cage which ruined it for me

Madmya
11-09-2012, 08:28 AM
So I've had the hard copy of the album for a while now (and Deftones) and wow. Can't get into deftones, constantly thinking about this. I think deftones needs more time because I'm sure it's going to be a cracker, but this just exceeded my expectations. Every song is a grower (cept Been Away Too Long).

cahernandez
11-09-2012, 11:55 AM
New tour dates are up: http://www.soundgardenworld.com/tour

Feb 7 Seattle, WA @ Paramount Theater

Feb 8 Seattle, WA @ Paramount Theater

Feb 10 Vancouver, BC @ Queen Elizabeth Theatre

yeeeeees!

aggroculture
11-09-2012, 02:38 PM
I was ready to buy a ticket for Irving Plaza on Tuesday. But then I saw it was $74. I would love to see Soundgarden - never did back in the day - but that's too expensive for a club show.

cashpiles (closed)
11-12-2012, 04:50 AM
The Soundgarden groove is back. I'm feeling that this album is better than Down On The Upside, which I feel was rushed out too quickly. More than anything, I never thought I'd be hearing a new album from Soundgarden. But here I am, 32 years old, walking down the road with a new Soundgarden rocking in my ears. Favorite songs: Non State Actor and Blood on the Valley Floor.

Shnoorum
11-12-2012, 08:06 PM
The Soundgarden groove is back. I'm feeling that this album is better than Down On The Upside, which I feel was rushed out too quickly. More than anything, I never thought I'd be hearing a new album from Soundgarden. But here I am, 32 years old, walking down the road with a new Soundgarden rocking in my ears. Favorite songs: Non State Actor and Blood on the Valley Floor.

I'm amazed at how well they've kept their old sound intact. I've got Non State Actor as my alarm on my phone. Thats how you start the day right

Kodiak33
11-13-2012, 07:02 AM
$3.99 on Amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B009YU62H2?t=slicinc-20&tag=slicinc-20

kdrcraig
11-13-2012, 08:16 AM
I was ready to buy a ticket for Irving Plaza on Tuesday. But then I saw it was $74. I would love to see Soundgarden - never did back in the day - but that's too expensive for a club show.

Wow, yeah I'd love to see them at the Tower Theater but $74 is a bit much for that.

Space Suicide
11-13-2012, 09:07 AM
Downloading this now, excited and cannot wait! Soundgarden is/was one of my favorite 1990's bands.

fortheloveofgod
11-13-2012, 01:27 PM
November is turning about be a good month for new music.

sentient02970
11-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Playing Boston Orpheum in January. That is a tiny place and the acoustics were terrible on the With_Teeth small venue tour. Bet it will sellout fast. I'm hedging. This is what age does to you. Love the new music by the way.

Madmya
11-14-2012, 07:38 AM
Fark I'm desperate to get my hands on the video of the letterman set, so far all I've got is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ8uExr1gsY

Edit: And this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUL-m9aLZjA

Edit 3:

http://www.cbs.com/shows/liveonletterman/artist/194340/soundgarden/

Shadaloo
11-16-2012, 08:12 PM
Managed to not listen to anything at all until Tuesday.

Sweet mother of god do I ever love Bones of Birds.

Totally
11-17-2012, 02:28 PM
'the album is awesome cuz it doesn 't suck!'

yeap. scored 4th row tix to the Queen E show

BrokenSpiral
11-17-2012, 07:46 PM
I really enjoy the album. Bones of birds, taree, worse dreams, and eyelids mouth are stand out for me at the moment.

LaneSax
11-21-2012, 10:45 PM
album is a grower, I share the sentiments that Bone of Birds, Taree, Worse Dreams and Eyelid's Mouth (sounds like it could be a PJ song so no surprises Matt wrote it) stand out as well as By Crooked Steps.
In fact I think track 3-7 are the best moments of the album.

BrokenSpiral
12-18-2012, 12:50 PM
Dave is a busy guy lately.

@soundgarden: Soundgarden is filming the official music video for By Crooked Steps today with Dave Grohl at the helm. #CrookedSteps #KingAnimal

cahernandez
01-24-2013, 03:41 PM
Hey guys, I'm selling one ticket for the Vancouver show. Section L, row 3, Seat 117. Face value of course, $86.75. I'll be in Vancouver next week, to see "Sound City", so I can personally deliver it (and it'd be fun to meet an ETSer). PM me for questions.
ps. I'm going to the Seattle show with my brother :)

LaneSax
01-25-2013, 10:06 PM
By Crooked Steps music video...

http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2013/01/see-soundgardens-by-crooked-steps-music-video-here-first/

october_midnight
04-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Chris Cornell hosts a Reddit 'AMA' (quickly becoming the best thing on the internet) and the top rated question?

Are you currently still stealing bread? (http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1bxp4f/hey_reddit_im_chris_cornell_from_soundgarden_ama/)

LOLZ! Love it.

thefragile_jake
05-18-2013, 07:39 PM
I won free tickets to go see Soundgarden next Tuesday. Haven't listened to this band really since junior high and all, but those tickets were close to 100 dollars. Should be a fun evening. I hope they play Ty Cobb!

Kodiak33
05-18-2013, 09:40 PM
They played Ty Cobb at the Indy show last weekend. They are awesome live, you will have a good time.

LaneSax
09-04-2013, 05:52 AM
not my favorite song, but I can see why they chose this as a single.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxYCQJW89Wc

Digital Twilight
09-04-2013, 02:14 PM
Seeing them next Friday in Manchester, so looking forward to it.

KingDeathMachine
09-04-2013, 02:36 PM
Saw them at Hammerstein Ballroom in NYC back in January. One of the best concerts I've ever been to - these guys are still on top of their game. Love the new album, too. Right up there with NIN as my all-time favorites.

Charmingly Miserable
11-16-2013, 11:05 PM
Matt is taking time off from Soundgarden to focus on family and his commitment to Pearl Jam. They should have Matt Chamberlain replace Matt.
https://www.facebook.com/Soundgarden/posts/10151990609550600

Space Suicide
11-16-2013, 11:19 PM
Odd this was resurrected since I just listened to Down on the Upside today. As much as I love and think Superunknown is a masterpiece, I can't deny my huge love for DOTUS!

Kodiak33
02-24-2014, 10:08 AM
http://soundgardenworld.com/superunknown20/

Digital Twilight
02-24-2014, 10:22 AM
http://soundgardenworld.com/superunknown20/

Very nice package.

BenAkenobi
02-24-2014, 11:08 AM
Glad i didn't buy that A perfect circle boxset :)

LaneSax
02-24-2014, 11:18 AM
I might get that boxset! Would love a remaster of Badmotorfinger more though

Space Suicide
02-24-2014, 12:39 PM
Definitely gonna get the 2 cd standard deluxe version!

armogi
02-24-2014, 01:01 PM
another expensive one for sure.
I am so done with those overpriced reissues.

Shadaloo
02-24-2014, 01:26 PM
If it's under a hundred bucks (yeah right) and not unmercifully brickwalled, I might bite.

Madmya
02-24-2014, 08:06 PM
Yeah I'm a bit worried about pricing too. All hail the greatest album ever!

Charmingly Miserable
02-24-2014, 08:21 PM
I am definitely gonna grab this. I just remember being mesmerized by the cd booklet. I bet the reissue will just aesthetically match the original issue. Super, super excited for this.

barkhammer
02-24-2014, 09:44 PM
I am definitely gonna grab this. I just remember being mesmerized by the cd booklet. I bet the reissue will just aesthetically match the original issue. Super, super excited for this.

I'm slightly worried about this. The pics of the super deluxe on Antiquiet (http://www.antiquiet.com/music/2014/02/soundgarden-superunknown-20-deluxe-tracklist-new-drummer/) featured artwork looking worryingly like the awful stuff on Telephantasm....

Charmingly Miserable
02-24-2014, 09:55 PM
barkhammer I agree. I just hope that they do a good job. The cd booklet was absolutely incredible and I have very fond memories of it.

ManOfAtom
02-25-2014, 07:37 AM
I'm slightly worried about this. The pics of the super deluxe on Antiquiet (http://www.antiquiet.com/music/2014/02/soundgarden-superunknown-20-deluxe-tracklist-new-drummer/) featured artwork looking worryingly like the awful stuff on Telephantasm....

it's the same guy doing the artwork, Josh Graham.

Madmya
02-25-2014, 09:45 PM
I thought he did a fantastic job on King Animal, but yeah I'd like Superunknown to keep its style.

Kodiak33
02-26-2014, 09:03 AM
Well, Soundgarden is playing Superunknown front to back at the iTunes festival in Austin. I would LOVE to see that.

Digital Twilight
02-26-2014, 10:15 AM
Well, Soundgarden is playing Superunknown front to back at the iTunes festival in Austin. I would LOVE to see that.

With Matt Cameron too.

Still no word on who his replacement is for the upcoming Euro tour...

GulDukat
02-27-2014, 08:01 AM
I've been listening to Superunknown a lot lately. What a great album. It rocks, it's ageless and is, IMHO, better than anything else offered by today's rock bands.

Madmya
02-27-2014, 08:13 PM
Ageless being the key word. I feel like listening to some 4th of July right now.

GulDukat
02-28-2014, 09:02 AM
Some people prefer Badmoterfinger to Superunknown, but I'd go with the latter. I also never understood why people give Down on the Upside a lot of shit. And when I saw Soundgarden a year ago they only played one song off it. That was a very good album too, IMHO.

Digital Twilight
02-28-2014, 10:25 AM
For a long time I would have said Down on the Upside was my favourite SG album.

henryeatscereal
02-28-2014, 10:31 AM
Some people prefer Badmoterfinger to Superunknown, but I'd go with the latter. I also never understood why people give Down on the Upside a lot of shit. And when I saw Soundgarden a year ago they only played one song off it. That was a very good album too, IMHO.
I like Badmotorfinguer better, but then again i prefer Soundgarden better in their "hard-rock-grunge" era...

And i know nobody asked but i would rate the Soundgarden albums like this:

1. Badmotorfinger
2. Superunknown
3. Louder than love
4. Down on the upside
5. Ultramega OK
6. King Animal

Charmingly Miserable
02-28-2014, 10:34 PM
Man, it's so hard to rank SG's albums. Some days I think that DOTU is the bees knees, then other days I think Screaming Life is ace. Hard call.

LaneSax
02-28-2014, 10:49 PM
I think Superunknown is their best album. As some have said, it is timeless!

Also feel King Animal is a good album, perhaps just too predictable and came across as a lazy cash grab.

Although I have had their cds for years, I just can't seem to get into their material before BMF, including Screaming Life/FOPP. Not giving up though!

1. Superunknown
2. Badmotorfinger
3. Down on the Upside
4. King Animal
5. Ultramega OK
6. Louder than Love

Shadaloo
03-02-2014, 02:00 PM
Superunknown
Down On The Upside
Badmotorfinger
Louder Than Love
King Animal
Ultramega OK

King Animal's not bad. I enjoy Eyelid's Mouth and Rowing, and Bones of Birds I feel is one of their very best. I had a 'holy shit' moment when it came on.

Charmingly Miserable
03-10-2014, 11:23 PM
Even though Superunknown is getting it's 20th anniversary moment here, DOTUS is such a damn fine album.

LaneSax
03-11-2014, 02:18 AM
http://soundgarden.shop.bravadousa.com/Dept.aspx?cp=58631_65477

so the boxset alone is USD$99

NotoriousTIMP
03-11-2014, 03:00 AM
$54.99 for a remastered LP with nothing special? HA, what a joke.....

GulDukat
03-11-2014, 08:54 AM
http://soundgarden.shop.bravadousa.com/Dept.aspx?cp=58631_65477

That's actually not bad.

LaneSax
03-11-2014, 10:21 AM
That's actually not bad.
I actually like the t shirt a lot.
All depends on shipping for me to decide if I should get the bundle.

skullboy0
03-11-2014, 10:29 AM

I was interested in the Blu-Ray, but not $99 worth of interested.

GulDukat
03-11-2014, 11:15 AM
Anyone ever hear KISS's Seattle album, Carnival of Souls? It was recorded in 94/95 and released in '97. It sounds a lot like Badmoterfinger-era Soundgarden:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEM-1kKcg7g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0F-yyT4XZo

henryeatscereal
03-11-2014, 01:13 PM
^woa! nice observation, wouldn't be surprised that Gene and Paul are Soundgarden fans... actually i've always considered "Carnival of Souls" the "grunge kiss" album

Charmingly Miserable
03-11-2014, 07:50 PM
$54.99 for a remastered LP with nothing special? HA, what a joke.....
For $5 more, you can get the vinyl/t shirt bundle. I think that $55 for the vinyl is kind of a rip off. Now, I don't know if I want to get this at all. I kind of want to save my money to see them play with NIN.

Kodiak33
03-13-2014, 06:23 AM
Concert is streaming tonight. http://www.vevo.com/itunesfestival

Charmingly Miserable
03-13-2014, 11:39 PM
Just saw the iTunes performance. I thought it was great but I felt that Kim's guitar wasn't as loud enough.

The Doctor
03-14-2014, 07:42 AM
Just saw the iTunes performance. I thought it was great but I felt that Kim's guitar wasn't as loud enough.

I completely agree, the show was fantastic! And yes, his guitar was way too soft. There was a song in particular, maybe it was, "Fell on Black Days" where there should have been some sweet solo and it was barely audible. But Chris was in great voice and the show was very awesome from the comfort of my couch.

If anybody comes across a copy of it on the interwebs, please PM me. Thanks!

Charmingly Miserable
03-15-2014, 03:03 PM
I totally called it back in November! Matt Chamberlain will be touring with SG (http://www.antiquiet.com/music/2014/03/soundgarden-new-drummer-matt-chamberlain/)!!!!

think i'm a fire engine
03-15-2014, 10:47 PM
I totally called it back in November! Matt Chamberlain will be touring with SG (http://www.antiquiet.com/music/2014/03/soundgarden-new-drummer-matt-chamberlain/)!!!!

It appears you did, but you didn't really elaborate then on why that's the first name you threw out there. Why was that.

Charmingly Miserable
03-15-2014, 10:51 PM
It appears you did, but you didn't really elaborate then on why that's the first name you threw out there. Why was that.

Matt is an exceptional and versatile drummer and being from Seattle, he is a natural fit.

Madmya
03-15-2014, 11:18 PM
Superunknown
Down On The Upside
Badmotorfinger
Louder Than Love
King Animal
Ultramega OK

King Animal's not bad. I enjoy Eyelid's Mouth and Rowing, and Bones of Birds I feel is one of their very best. I had a 'holy shit' moment when it came on.

I think that list is perfect. Badmotorfinger is 3rd for me too, despite it having some of my favourite Soundgarden songs over any album (i.e. Slaves and Bulldozers + Jesus Christ Pose).

Madmya
03-16-2014, 08:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dwBXFUYhVY

Music at its best.

GulDukat
03-30-2014, 07:25 AM
Listening to Euphoria Morning--great album. Hadn't given it a listen in years and forgot how good it is.

Digital Twilight
03-30-2014, 12:44 PM
Sabbath, Soundgarden, Faith No More, Motorheard and Soulfly on the same bill?

AMAZING!

http://www.bst-hydepark.com/

miss k bee
03-31-2014, 01:20 PM
Sabbath, Soundgarden, Faith No More, Motorheard and Soulfly on the same bill?

AMAZING!

http://www.bst-hydepark.com/

Yep I know, I am badly going to try and get tickets for that for Soundgarden and Faith No More esp!!!

Digital Twilight
03-31-2014, 04:56 PM
Yep I know, I am badly going to try and get tickets for that for Soundgarden and Faith No More esp!!!

I got my ticket today. £79 including fees and postage. Worth every penny.

I saw Sabbath in Sheffield last December and they were incredible. FNM is the only band there I haven't seen so I'm looking forward to them.

cahernandez
03-31-2014, 08:09 PM
I got my ticket today. £79 including fees and postage. Worth every penny.

I saw Sabbath in Sheffield last December and they were incredible. FNM is the only band there I haven't seen so I'm looking forward to them.

You're going to have a blast with FNM.

Charmingly Miserable
04-01-2014, 11:57 PM
Does anyone know if their Live from the Artists Den show will be released to dvd? I missed out on watching the episode last year. :(

Your Name Here
04-02-2014, 12:10 AM
I have to admit I am looking forward to seeing Soundgarden on the upcoming NIN/Soundgarden tour. I have never seen Soundgarden live before and I have seen NIN quite a few times. I did see Soundgarden on the Conan Show two or three years ago and I thought they kicked ass for a tv performance. I think it should be a fun show.

Kodiak33
04-02-2014, 06:56 AM
They are great live, if you like Soundgarden...which I do.

Your Name Here
04-02-2014, 05:12 PM
As I stated I have never seen them before and they were amazing on Conan in fact if you go to Conan's website I still believe you can watch Soundgarden on Conan. Personally I think the Soundgarden performance on Conan to this day is the best musical performance by an artist on that show. I watch Conan almost every night and have seen most of his shows, NIN has never been on Conan.
As for Soundgarden and being someone who has never seen them live before I love the songs Black Hole Sun, and Fell On Black Days, so I hope they play them but I guess that's like saying I hope NIN plays Closer and Hurt. But I have never seen Soundgarden before so let me have my fun.

Madmya
04-03-2014, 11:34 PM
They usually play Black Hole Sun and Fell On Black Days so you should be alright. If they don't, it won't matter because they're very much like NIN in that they can have wildly different setlists and they'll still be awesome shows.

I'm gagging to see Like Suicide live and it looks like they're doing that lately. Come back to Australia ya wankers!

Digital Twilight
04-04-2014, 06:46 AM
They'll play Black Hole Sun and Fell on Black Days don't you worry. They do change the setlist around but they also don't neglect the 'hits'. Great live band, can't wait for this show.

ninedead
04-04-2014, 09:36 AM
http://youtu.be/jqeMtV7yFEw so many soundgarden songs i love but if they play this aug 8 i dont know what i would do haha

armogi
04-04-2014, 12:01 PM
Am i the only one hoping for a front to back superunknown + TDS this summer?
I don't know but this pairing of bands is so odd to me that it seems the only logical explanation for it would be some kind of double celebration for those two 20yrs old records.

ninedead
04-04-2014, 09:24 PM
on the soundgarden front, i hope not, so many other good songs i want to hear.

Charmingly Miserable
04-07-2014, 08:50 PM
on the soundgarden front, i hope not, so many other good songs i want to hear.
I agree. Like NIN, Soundgarden has a huge catalogue. I think it would be a disservice to the band if they solely played Superunknown on the upcoming tour. I wanna hear Beyond the Wheel and Big Dumb Sex live.

cahernandez
04-09-2014, 11:01 AM
Amazing interview with Kim Thayil on the song writing process in Soundgarden, really in-depth. In general interviews with Greg Prato are fairly good: http://www.songfacts.com/blog/interviews/kim_thayil_of_soundgarden/

Digital Twilight
04-09-2014, 02:36 PM
I agree. Like NIN, Soundgarden has a huge catalogue. I think it would be a disservice to the band if they solely played Superunknown on the upcoming tour. I wanna hear Beyond the Wheel and Big Dumb Sex live.

You will probably hear Beyond the Wheel. They like closing the show with this one. Very doubtful on Big Dumb Sex but you never know. They mix their setlists up and play material from all their albums.

cahernandez
04-09-2014, 03:22 PM
You will probably hear Beyond the Wheel. They like closing the show with this one. Very doubtful on Big Dumb Sex but you never know. They mix their setlists up and play material from all their albums.

They did play 'Big Dumb Sex' when I saw them at the Paramount in Seattle in 2012. I may post pictures of this show later.

Charmingly Miserable
04-09-2014, 10:49 PM
Yeah, I saw them play Big Dumb Sex back in LA of '12 too. It was amazing. Really looking forward to seeing them this summer.

Did anyone notice that Soundgarden and NIN are gonna play Pemberton Music Festival together?

Shadaloo
04-15-2014, 11:21 AM
82 dollars to see them alone in my town after I'm paying just about a hundred to see them AND NIN? No thanks.

Maul
04-16-2014, 05:09 AM
Two years ago, I saw them on their European Reunion tour and they played Live to Rise live. Such an awesome song,they should play it more often!

Charmingly Miserable
04-16-2014, 10:27 PM
You can listen to a demo of Black Hole Sun over at Pitchfork (http://pitchfork.com/news/54792-soundgarden-share-black-hole-sun-demo/).

Charmingly Miserable
04-23-2014, 11:41 PM
Another demo from Superunknown has popped up. You can hear a demo of the title track on NME. I really like it.

LaneSax
05-08-2014, 07:17 AM
a Soundgarden documentary in the works?

http://badfeelingmag.com/2014/05/05/exclusive-heres-the-first-info-on-the-upcoming-soundgarden-documentary/

cahernandez
05-08-2014, 10:07 AM
a Soundgarden documentary in the works?

http://badfeelingmag.com/2014/05/05/exclusive-heres-the-first-info-on-the-upcoming-soundgarden-documentary/

Good interview, it seems like Matt Cameron may be playing some of the NIN-SG shows...

Charmingly Miserable
05-08-2014, 09:54 PM
Super duper excited for the possibility of this!!!

Sarah K
05-12-2014, 02:11 PM
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2014/05/soundgarden_pla_9.html

They're playing "Superunknown" at Webster Hall on June 2nd for $19.94... If any of you are into that.

Madmya
05-12-2014, 07:14 PM
Ohhhh would be all over that if it were in Australia. Sigh.

imail724
05-12-2014, 08:57 PM
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2014/05/soundgarden_pla_9.html

They're playing "Superunknown" at Webster Hall on June 2nd for $19.94... If any of you are into that.
Kind of interesting to note that this is the same venue NIN played TDS in full for the first time back in '09.

Sarah K
05-12-2014, 10:09 PM
I will cut numerous people to get in if Trent plays such a show.

Charmingly Miserable
05-28-2014, 12:44 AM
Chris reflects on 20 years of Superunknown on RS (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/chris-cornell-looks-back-on-20-years-of-soundgardens-superunknown-20140527).

cahernandez
06-08-2014, 09:44 AM
Yesterday I got the deluxe edition of the Superunknown. Goddamn is it amazing. Now this is how you do a reissue. I would go as far as calling it better than Smashing Pumpkins' Mellon Collie: better paper, better layout, and most importantly (to me at least) better text content...it's as if I'm reading a super detailed Wikipedia entry for the album, and I'm a sucker for books related to my favorite music. It is AWESOME. Seeing that TDS was released the same day as Superunknown, I wish Trent had done something like it for the reissue (a book with the story behind the recording of TDS). Oh well. I think The Fragile reissue will be more along this (Superunknown's reissue) vein.

richardp
06-08-2014, 11:46 AM
The Superunknown reissue is definitely NOT a good reissue. At all. Brickwalled masses of clipping. The original album needed no remastering what-so-ever. This "remaster" is actually ruining the sound of that record for you.

armogi
06-08-2014, 12:00 PM
The Superunknown reissue is definitely NOT a good reissue. At all. Brickwalled masses of clipping. The original album needed no remastering what-so-ever. This "remaster" is actually ruining the sound of that record for you.

Agreed, i'm so sick and tired of these brickwalled expensive reissues, 90s records for the most part don't need any remastering and they usually dont really provide anything new in terms of extras, scrapped live or demos of existing songs are not worth that kind of money.

cahernandez
06-08-2014, 12:07 PM
Agreed, i'm so sick and tired of these brickwalled expensive reissues, 90s records for the most part don't need any remastering and they usually dont really provide anything new in terms of extras, scrapped live or demos of existing songs are not worth that kind of money.

I was only talking about the book, haven't had the chance to sit down and listen to the CDs themselves. I'm actually quite excited about listening to the Blu Ray, haven't done that before and in the house I live there's a 5.1 system.

richardp
06-08-2014, 01:06 PM

Plus, none of the bonus material provided is really all that interesting. Just a total ridiculous cash grab. The fact that they Re charging 60 dollars for a standard 2xLP vinyl rerelease is fucking asinine.

LaneSax
06-08-2014, 08:52 PM
I usually enjoy buying remasters and stuff but yeh this Superunknown one has nothing that justifies its price tag.

Rather save up for the potential B-side collection that Kim keeps talking about

Charmingly Miserable
06-08-2014, 11:45 PM
I haven't gotten it yet. Sad day for me.

Space Suicide
06-09-2014, 12:11 AM
I seen the reissue at Best Buy the other day. It looked pretty much like the TDS remaster from 2004, slipcase and all for the most part. Looking at the track listing didn't really do much for me, I have most, if not all of the demos and b-sides from a torrent I got a few years ago. Le sigh.

Then again, I did buy Telephantasm when I didn't need to so who knows.

BenAkenobi
06-09-2014, 03:18 AM
...Then again, I did buy Telephantasm when I didn't need to so who knows.

Well, for me paying for Superunknown was justified because i didn't bite their other cashgrabs: Live on I-5, Telephantasm, King animal deluxe, King animal plus, and Screaming life/Fopp reissue :)

Space Suicide
06-09-2014, 08:38 AM
Well, for me paying for Superunknown was justified because i didn't bite their other cashgrabs: Live on I-5, Telephantasm, King animal deluxe, King animal plus, and Screaming life/Fopp reissue :)

I won't buy Live on I-5. I got the deluxe version of King Animal (I like the album). I didn't buy the other reissue.

Then again, I justified buying Telehpantasm for the 3 disc version which had the DVD with the music videos/live performances. So it worked out.

cahernandez
06-09-2014, 09:53 AM
Live on I-5 is pretty great, I liked the sound :)

Madmya
06-09-2014, 08:48 PM
Yeah I liked Live on I-5 a lot. Of all the 'cash grabs', that was probably the least 'cash grabby'.

Anyway all these cash grabs helps Ben get off his friend's couch so in a way it's charity.

LaneSax
06-09-2014, 08:52 PM
Besides the Superunknown boxset, I thought the only cash grab was King Animal Plus!

Madmya
06-10-2014, 01:00 AM
It's also the only one I haven't purchased. Besides, I've seen Mars Volta and Queens do the same thing with Era Vulgaris and Bedlam in Goliath (i.e. re-release the album with live tracks). Shits me.

elevenism
06-10-2014, 06:31 AM
I kinda lost touch with Soundgarden after Badmotorfinger.
I've heard Superunknown a lot because my mom is into it.
Do they have more good albums?

Digital Twilight
06-10-2014, 06:31 AM
I can't really consider Live on I-5 a cash grab since its the only official live album from Soundgarden. I think the fans have waited a long time for that release.

I'm not into re-releases myself but it does give a whole new generation the nod to go check out a band they might not have heard before.

GulDukat
06-10-2014, 06:38 AM
Besides the Superunknown boxset, I thought the only cash grab was King Animal Plus!
I just bought the standard edition of King Animal. I like the album, but don't feel the need to pay more for a couple of demos. I would have bought it for additional new songs.

I bought the Superunknown box-set and will give it a listen today. I've been listening to the original CD recently and it sounds great to me--not really sure it needed a remaster. I've been a fan of that album since it was released and it still sounds fucking great.

armogi
06-10-2014, 12:22 PM
I listened to I-5 in MP3 and thought it was a terrible mix, with fake audience crowd added in between songs, poor fades... maybe I need to locate a better copy and try again...

miss k bee
07-04-2014, 09:03 PM
Saw Soundgarden play BST Hyde Park yesterday along with Faith No More and Black Sabbath headlining.
They played the whole of the Superunknown album in full.. it was amazing!!!

Madmya
07-05-2014, 06:59 AM
Goddamn I would have lost my shit.

Sutekh
07-06-2014, 11:35 AM
I really don't like them, but having seen them at hellfest & then hyde park the other day I can honestly say they sound incredible live... really on top of their game

miss k bee
07-07-2014, 06:02 PM
Superunknown at Hyde Park

http://youtu.be/B5CbkNp40ck

Mr. Blaileen
07-19-2014, 01:03 AM
Not a huge Soundgarden fan or anything, but I hate sitting through a band's set without knowing most of the stuff. I've got a week to get a crash course..where do I begin/what's most important?

Madmya
07-19-2014, 01:53 AM
Ahh dude they can vary it up greatly like NIN. Certainties are probably Jesus Christ Pose and Outshined, but since this is the Superunknown20 tour you're probably best served just to listen to Superunknown. It's a classic anyway.

Digital Twilight
07-19-2014, 03:39 AM
Not a huge Soundgarden fan or anything, but I hate sitting through a band's set without knowing most of the stuff. I've got a week to get a crash course..where do I begin/what's most important?

Superunknown and Badmotorfinger

Charmingly Miserable
07-19-2014, 06:03 PM

Superunknown and Badmotorfinger

Agreed. Or go with A-Sides for bare bones SG.

Madmya
07-20-2014, 12:06 AM
I started my Soundgarden love with A-Sides, what a fantastic album. Love that it has old shit like Nothing to Say and Flower.

Digital Twilight
07-20-2014, 05:41 AM
A Sides was my first SG album I think. You're right some of the earlier work is fuckin' awesome too. A sides would be a good place to start however BMF and Superunknown are essential albums to own IMO.

We may get that elusive B side collection one day...

GulDukat
07-20-2014, 06:32 AM
Shows just how amazing Cornell is. What a voice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQOOgQtLI4M
From their second album, Louder than Love.

LaneSax
07-20-2014, 12:26 PM
crazy to think Chris turns 50 today.

damn I feel old....

GulDukat
07-20-2014, 01:21 PM
Happy Birthday, Chris. Love this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPaAlAL8Z50

Charmingly Miserable
07-20-2014, 01:23 PM
Happy birthday to the man I've had a rock & roll crush since I was 13.

Charmingly Miserable
07-20-2014, 11:26 PM
So, in celebration of Chris' birthday today, I've been listening to a lot of SG today and even after all these years, DOTUS has aged well. DOTUS makes it hard for me to choose my favorite SG album.

Digital Twilight
07-21-2014, 12:46 PM
So, in celebration of Chris' birthday today, I've been listening to a lot of SG today and even after all these years, DOTUS has aged well. DOTUS makes it hard for me to choose my favorite SG album.

For a long time I said that DOTUS was my favourite SG album but now I don't think I could pick one over the other. Some of the material on that album is just mind blowing. Blow up the outside is probably my favourite SG song of all time (Spoilt for choice mind)

Kodiak33
07-21-2014, 12:53 PM
I think Pearl Jam when Camerson joined really sounds quite a bit like DOTUS. I think he really changed their sound.

Digital Twilight
07-21-2014, 12:56 PM
Matt Cameron is the best drummer I have ever seen. He suits SG better than PJ but he does give PJ something different on stage. He's also a songwriter himself so he does have input to the whole process for both bands.

Charmingly Miserable
07-21-2014, 09:30 PM
Matt Cameron is the best drummer I have ever seen. He suits SG better than PJ but he does give PJ something different on stage. He's also a songwriter himself so he does have input to the whole process for both bands.

Wellwater Conspiracy's The Scroll and it's Combinations is a really good album.

Digital Twilight
07-22-2014, 01:24 AM
Wellwater Conspiracy's The Scroll and it's Combinations is a really good album.

It is as is Declaration of Conformity. Matt Cameron singing in Japanese. Enough said ;)

Have you ever checked out Hater? Great band with Ben Shepherd and a few others. Quite Soundgarden esq.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hater_%28band%29

Charmingly Miserable
07-25-2014, 09:26 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Halfway There is like NIN's Everything as far as the fan dislike goes.

Madmya
07-25-2014, 09:42 PM
That's probably an accurate assessment, although I like Everything. Halfway There is a bit of a nothing song, forgettable. I definitely don't hate it though.

What I do hate is that both versions of Superunknown I own have 'She Likes Surprises' tagged on at the end (both the original and the re-release). It's an average song bringing down the rest of the album. The re-release shouldn't have it, it should be on one of the many other discs they've released with it. The album finishes perfectly with Like Suicide. It irks me. Rant over.

Yoshata
07-25-2014, 10:02 PM
Seeing the Vegas show last week just reaffirmed for me how much I adore Soundgarden. There are still albums I have to hear and bond with, but I love what I've heard of Badmotorfinger, and I love the entirety of Superunknown, Down on the Upside, and King Animal. I didn't end up listening to King Animal until recently, but I've heard it a number of times now and I love every single song. It's right up there with everything else, to me.

I hope to see another show by them in the future, if I can. :)

Charmingly Miserable
07-26-2014, 04:21 PM
What I do hate is that both versions of Superunknown I own have 'She Likes Surprises' tagged on at the end (both the original and the re-release). It's an average song bringing down the rest of the album. The re-release shouldn't have it, it should be on one of the many other discs they've released with it. The album finishes perfectly with Like Suicide. It irks me. Rant over.
I remember back in high school that I had got my hands on a Malaysian edition of Superunknown where She Likes Surprises was on it. Back then, I did too think it was an album killer. I got over it but it definitely changes the mood of the album.

zerokreap
08-10-2014, 09:18 PM
Just found this thread...

mfte
08-11-2014, 08:20 AM
I was a casual fan BUT have recently really got into DOTUS big time. I have been listening to it front to back for a week. I tend to skit Zero Chance (not a bad song) Applebite (great song but weird pacing on the album) Switch Opens (i dont like this too much).

There are so many amazing moments and I even have learned BootCamp to cover with my band. The musician ship among them 4 is extraordinary and Cornell really elevates them high up high.

I am going to get into Badmotorfinger next and when i am done with that I think I will be ready for Superunknown. I feel that getting to know the band in that order of recordings will give me a pretty good perspective.

Charmingly Miserable
08-11-2014, 06:20 PM
I was a casual fan BUT have recently really got into DOTUS big time. I have been listening to it front to back for a week. I tend to skit Zero Chance (not a bad song) Applebite (great song but weird pacing on the album) Switch Opens (i dont like this too much).

There are so many amazing moments and I even have learned BootCamp to cover with my band. The musician ship among them 4 is extraordinary and Cornell really elevates them high up high.

I am going to get into Badmotorfinger next and when i am done with that I think I will be ready for Superunknown. I feel that getting to know the band in that order of recordings will give me a pretty good perspective.
I agree with Switch Opens but Zero Chance and Applebite?

If you want to go deeper, try Ultramegaok.

GulDukat
08-12-2014, 02:29 AM
It's a great album. I've always felt that it was severely underrated, probably because Superunknown is such a classic and it was a hard album to follow-up.

GulDukat
08-12-2014, 02:31 AM

I like their entire body-of-work but Superunknown is their masterpiece.

mfte
08-12-2014, 08:17 AM
I agree with Switch Opens but Zero Chance and Applebite?

If you want to go deeper, try Ultramegaok.

I like Zero Change enough and I really really like Applebite but I find taking those songs out of the playlist makes the album flow much better for me.

Charmingly Miserable
08-18-2014, 12:15 AM
Visuals of SG's backgrounds for the tour are up here (http://suspendedinlight.com/soundgarden-2014-visuals).

mfte
08-19-2014, 09:01 AM
Visuals of SG's backgrounds for the tour are up here (http://suspendedinlight.com/soundgarden-2014-visuals).

Oh cool. I thought they were just a media player screen saver or something.

I spent this weekend listening to Superuknown. FUCK! what an incredible record. Everything about it is just so top notch.

Superunknown, Head Down, Limo Wreck. Those are my jams right now.

Madmya
08-19-2014, 10:58 PM
Coming to Australia! Yes!

GulDukat
08-20-2014, 04:55 PM
I listened to Audioslave's Out of Exile ​today for the first time in ages--it's held up well and is a very good album. It has a rocking, yet laid back feel.

Charmingly Miserable
08-20-2014, 05:48 PM
Didn't really get into Audioslave although I had their first album and I was all about them when they were gonna call themselves Civilian (anyone remember that?).

Kim is still beefing with Billy Corgan. (http://www.stereogum.com/1699633/soundgardens-kim-thayil-wont-name-names-but-hes-still-pissed-at-billy-corgan/franchises/wheres-the-beef/)

implanted_microchip
08-20-2014, 07:16 PM
Didn't really get into Audioslave although I had their first album and I was all about them when they were gonna call themselves Civilian (anyone remember that?).

Kim is still beefing with Billy Corgan. (http://www.stereogum.com/1699633/soundgardens-kim-thayil-wont-name-names-but-hes-still-pissed-at-billy-corgan/franchises/wheres-the-beef/)

Him complaining about bands where one person does almost everything is pretty funny considering they're touring with Trent, a guy who at the end of the day calls all the shots within NIN.

Madmya
08-20-2014, 11:10 PM
Well not quite. I'd say Trent IS Nine Inch Nails whereas Smashing Pumpkins were a band.

GulDukat
08-21-2014, 01:56 AM
Well not quite. I'd say Trent IS Nine Inch Nails whereas Smashing Pumpkins were a band.
Sort of. The others may have had some input, but SP was and is Billy's band.

GulDukat
08-21-2014, 02:03 AM

To me the first album basically sounded like RATM with C.C. singing and the band didn't really gel until their second album. They sounded much looser and more like a band on OOE a Revelations.

Madmya
08-21-2014, 09:28 PM
Sort of. The others may have had some input, but SP was and is Billy's band.

Was it? Wikipedia says there were two founding members, but yes it seems Corgan took control over the band... hence Kim's barbs.

implanted_microchip
08-21-2014, 10:39 PM
Was it? Wikipedia says there were two founding members, but yes it seems Corgan took control over the band... hence Kim's barbs.

There was constant in-fighting and discussion over how Billy actually would stay in the studio late after everyone else left just to re-record other members parts, so a lot of the performances on the early albums are actually just Billy playing, and most of the songwriting credits point towards him doing the vast majority of it. The other members were important and helped give the band a particular shape and feel, but the actual writing and much of the in studio performance that you hear when you put on Siamese Dream is Billy with some help here and there. The other members were vastly more important to the live portion of SP than the studio version of SP.

Charmingly Miserable
10-01-2014, 10:27 PM
I was listening to King Animal the other day and I think Rowing has got to be one of the finest rock songs that has come out in a long time.

Shadaloo
10-02-2014, 12:24 AM
There was constant in-fighting and discussion over how Billy actually would stay in the studio late after everyone else left just to re-record other members parts, so a lot of the performances on the early albums are actually just Billy playing, and most of the songwriting credits point towards him doing the vast majority of it. The other members were important and helped give the band a particular shape and feel, but the actual writing and much of the in studio performance that you hear when you put on Siamese Dream is Billy with some help here and there. The other members were vastly more important to the live portion of SP than the studio version of SP.

With the possible exception of the MCIS sessions. Although Billy was still the driving force, it's been stated in the MCIS deluxe book and elsewhere that the recording thereof was the time they collaborated most in the studio.

Failure
10-02-2014, 08:42 AM
I was listening to King Animal the other day and I think Rowing has got to be one of the finest rock songs that has come out in a long time.

This comment surprised me. I always thought that Rowing was a boring/generic/uninspired song. And an unsatisfying way to end the record. It reminds me a bit of "Soldier On" from Dig Out Your Soul or "Riviere" from "Saturday Night Wrist" in that sense.

Not trying to shit on your opinion though. Different strokes I guess.

Madmya
10-03-2014, 02:09 AM
King Animal is a pretty safe album for Soundgarden, bar Rowing. Boring and generic do not belong to this song, it's the definitive album highlight to me.

Space Suicide
10-03-2014, 02:17 AM
King Animal is a pretty safe album for Soundgarden, bar Rowing. Boring and generic do not belong to this song, it's the definitive album highlight to me.

I freaking love that song. It's awesome.

I liked King Animal for the most part, doesn't hold a candle to the 90's material but it was a fine album to me.

GulDukat
10-03-2014, 05:24 AM
King Animal ​ was most definitely a "grower" for me.

Digital Twilight
10-26-2014, 03:18 PM
Judging by their recent pics on instagram/facebook I'd say a live album/dvd is imminent.

Charmingly Miserable
10-26-2014, 09:25 PM
Judging by their recent pics on instagram/facebook I'd say a live album/dvd is imminent.

I know they are getting their own documentary with highlights from the NIN/SG tour.

I hope their recent Bridge School Benefit performance goes up on YouTube.

Digital Twilight
10-27-2014, 05:41 AM
New song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSmDcnJW9Fo#t=56

Digital Twilight
10-27-2014, 05:43 AM
I know they are getting their own documentary with highlights from the NIN/SG tour.

I hope their recent Bridge School Benefit performance goes up on YouTube.

Of course I forgot about the documentary. Maybe its that then? Either way any new SG related stuff is great news.

I'm sure it will be youtube at some point. I saw Chris w/ Pearl Jam do Temple of the Dog on youtube. Such a great moment.

LaneSax
10-27-2014, 07:57 AM
wow a new song, did not expect it at all!

video seems to have gone private too.

Digital Twilight
10-27-2014, 01:18 PM
Here it is on Spin

http://www.spin.com/articles/stream-storm-soundgarden-new-song/?utm_source=spinfacebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=spinfacebook

armogi
10-27-2014, 07:24 PM
B-sides album announced for Nov 21, 3CD!!!!

GulDukat
10-27-2014, 07:52 PM
B-sides album announced for Nov 21, 3CD!!!!
Hell yeah!

New song is fucking great.