PDA

View Full Version : Andrew WK

aggroculture
04-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Saw him play the other day. Very happy that the flame he lit a decade ago is still burning strong. It was an awesome show, lots of positive energy.
Good to know he hasn't let industry/legal bullshit get the better of him. Go AWK!

REPLICA
04-04-2012, 07:45 PM
I agree! Andrew is one of my favorite artists. I got the chance to meet him back in 2010 @ The Disc Exchange in Knoxville, TN, he's a pretty good guy. We spoke about Gary Numan and he actually signed one of my Numan records as well as Close Calls With Brick Walls vinyl. I love the fact that he's all about doing what you want and not worrying about what people think. I do wish I could see him tomorrow night in Atlanta... Strange... I have met him but never seen him perform.

Also, I would have thought there was an Andrew WK thread already up. I haven't been looking...

REPLICA
05-09-2012, 09:56 PM
I forgot to mention this way earlier in the day... HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ANDREW WK!

REPLICA
05-30-2012, 09:50 PM
Well, I better mention this now... I usually like to listen to Andrew when I drive or drink, it's just the party spirit!

EDIT: But I don't drink and drive while listening to Andrew... That would just be crazy.

Space Suicide
05-30-2012, 10:12 PM
Meh, he's ok....nothing special to me.

aggroculture
06-12-2012, 07:13 PM
Um, OK:

ANDREW W.K.
CONFIRMS MOTIVATIONAL SPEAKING APPEARANCE AT MY LITTLE PONY CONVENTION
ANDREW ANSWERS “WHAT WOULD PINKIE PIE DO?” AT CANTERLOT GARDENS 2012!
“I GET WET – 10th ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL DELUXE EDITION” THIS SUMMER, FEATURING "EAR-CANAL" LIVE RECORDINGS

New York, NY - (June 12, 2012): Rock 'n' roll party man, Andrew W.K., has announced that this fall, he will bring his special brand of fun to Canterlot Gardens in Ohio, the premiere My Little Pony fan convention! Celebrating the national resurgence of My Little Pony popularity since the release of Hasbro’s “Friendship Is Magic” cartoon, W.K. will attempt to answer the question “What Would Pinkie Pie Do?” In this panel, W.K. who's beloved for such anthemic songs as “Party Hard” and “We Want Fun,” considers himself to be the living embodiment of the positive, party pony, Pinkie Pie, and will talk about how to make your work as fun as your party and your party as important as your work.

W.K. has spoken in the past of his support for the growing “Brony” sub-culture, which is the unexpected male obsession with My Little Pony and “Friendship Is Magic”. This fan-base if comprised of men in their teens, up to 40 years of age. Lauren Faust, who helped to draw adults to Cartoon Network with her work on The Power Puff Girls and Fosters Home For Imaginary Friends, also helped to revamp the My Little Pony franchise with sophisticated writing and nuanced characters. The results are drawing animation fans of nontraditional ages, genders, and lifestyles.

Andrew W.K.’s work also crosses the traditional boundaries of entertainment, including his unique style of music, TV, and more. Most recently, the party ambassador completed a world tour with his rock band in support of the 10th Anniversary of his landmark debut album, “I Get Wet.” The tour was Andrew's biggest and most successful to date, and saw W.K. and his six-piece group performing throughout the U.S., Europe and Australia, selling out venues across the globe. The record label, Century Media, will be releasing a special 10th Anniversary Special Deluxe Edition of the album this summer, which includes a second disc of never-before-heard live performances, recorded with a special technology aimed at recreating the sound inside Andrew's own ear-canals while he performs on stage. The release also contains extremely rare early versions of his "I Get Wet" songs, as well as alternate mixes and other previously unavailable material. Due to Andrew's own perfectionism with mixing the final "ear-canal" recording technique, the release date has been pushed back from its original July date to August 14th, 2012.

To Register for Canterlot Gardens: https://www.canterlotgardens.com/ (http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001tUiYeaqgjpNnf8yw2S7ClDQYmmHjwMFjxNtypF 2NqC72BSrc34WOfHLaZkHR3p9Qto-unAGFC8SH1SXXKPAzMGi-uvkWjpu67GsaTG1OmCc1Dzn-N0Dz0RH4V7tjRoTv)

poinoup
06-13-2012, 11:47 PM
No one can deny the awesomeness of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBwvuSQ6l6o

Great shit.

REPLICA
06-14-2012, 03:34 PM
There is an awesome three video acoustic set of Andrew at a music store performing I Came For You, You Will Remember Tonight, Party Hard, I Get Wet and one song which it's name escapes me right now. I will try to post the link or embed the vid(s) if the computer will allow me... I hate using the computer here at work - it runs Internet Explorer...

aggroculture
07-15-2012, 04:02 AM
https://origin.ih.constantcontact.com/fs091/1102707682383/img/53.jpg
“I GET WET” SPECIAL DELUXE ANNIVERSARY EDITION COMING AUG 28th!
ANDREW W.K.

ANNOUNCES CREATION OF WORLD’S 1st PIZZA GUITAR WITH ESP!

GIVES PITCHFORK TV 1st IN-DEPTH LOOK!
LINK HERE (http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001aZBj1EcVAolWOerIPL6tdeo_yrTLjUMikFwOzv 4hUa_lvsNjo-qzBLB0wi6373i2sXqyv0wA3_ZnFsYttzYK0lGpqAQlv-_LZmeCJ8YlZUNjV6n8ntY6VzmHWRH9aV6Hp73LgOrEecVu7efV F40UCZyqSVMrkVAzKTNHY_SjWZUaPnDcIaveNkyPsgBk6hZUC0 O0ZFzfS8CJbdcC3JN4cWVdwG_4lciX)
FROM CENTURY MEDIA RECORDS!

“Andrew W.K. just saved the entire fucking world.” KERRANG Live Review (6K Score!)

New York, NY- (July 10, 2012): Andrew W.K. has announced the completion of his custom-made Pizza Guitar with the ESP Guitar company! In an exclusive Pitchfork TV appearance (taking place in a midtown NYC pizza parlor), Andrew shows off the world’s first ever guitar designed in the shape of a New York Style Pizza Supreme Deluxe slice. Hand painted by W.K. himself, the guitar features extra spicy garlic marinara sauce, double mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, black olives, green peppers, mushrooms, and Andrew’s favorite pizza topping of all, jalapeno peppers (link to episode above). As to the playing capabilities of the ESP model, W.K. shreds the fretboard to the extreme through a double-stack of amplifiers (to the glee of the patrons and employees at Ray’s pizza parlor in Times Square).

In a statement on the guitar W.K. said, “For over 8 years, I dreamed of creating a guitar made out of a slice of pizza supreme. This dream has finally come true, thanks to the incredible ESP guitar company. I first remember meeting with ESP in Japan, back in 2003, and I think they thought I was a little crazy. Well, they were right... I'm crazy like a pizza! After years of design, hand-crafting, and fine-tuning, the amazing guitar masters at ESP have finished the world's first ever pizza shaped guitar, and it's as beautiful as it is delicious.”

Allen Steelgrave, ESP director of marketing and artist relations, said, "We love Andrew's pizza guitar, not only because it's one of the more unique instruments we've ever made, but it shows off Andrew's amazing personality as a musician and performer, and it also is a great example of how there really are no limitations for people who dream of creating a custom guitar from ESP!"

Also of note is Andrew W.K.’s custom “PARTY” guitar strap is made of deer-skin leather by the craftsmen at the Native BMX leather crew.

The Pizza Guitar made its live debut on stage during Andrew W.K.’s “I Get Wet” 10Year Anniversary Tour this past spring, in which W.K. performed his classic debut album in its entirety with his full band. The tour hit the full United States, Canada, Europe, Japan, and Australia to sold-out audiences everywhere. Top UK music magazine, Kerrang, who reviewed Andrew’s London show at The HMV Forum, rated it a rare and perfect “6K” score and proclaimed W.K. “The undisputed god of partying”, and named Pizza Guitar “The greatest guitar of all time.”

“I Get Wet” itself will receive a special deluxe anniversary edition via Century Media Records on August 28th, 2012. This special reissue will include not only the full-length original album, but also a second disc featuring a generous helping of never- before-heard live recordings, early demo recordings, alternate mixes, and other previously unreleased material. There will also be a limited number of autographed deluxe editions each containing a very special "SOMETHING" directly from Andrew's private collection - including everything from a lock of his hair to a world tour airplane ticket stub. In addition to the special CD release, I Get Wet will also be reissued as a special double gate-fold vinyl LP.

themethatyouknow
07-15-2012, 06:50 AM
Holy crap, this guy is still around? I used to think that he was just some complete moron who stumbled upon a style and got famous. Then I saw some MTV thing where he went to an historically black college and realized he was actually a fairly smart guy who was just playing the part. At that point i figured that his persona was entirely a joke(I mean how could it not be) and that he was in on it. Seeing this now, I'm confused. I mean there's no way anyone could take this guy seriously, yet I don't see how the joke could go on this long. Are people actually still listening to this?

aggroculture
07-15-2012, 08:52 AM
It's not a joke. If you see his motivational talks, or read his interviews, you will see that what he does is humorous, but serious. I think he brings a real message of positivity.
I agree his music hasn't really evolved with the rest of his other activities, but there's time: AWK is in no hurry.

REPLICA
07-15-2012, 05:07 PM
“I GET WET” SPECIAL DELUXE ANNIVERSARY EDITION COMING AUG 28th!

“I Get Wet” itself will receive a special deluxe anniversary edition via Century Media Records on August 28th, 2012. This special reissue will include not only the full-length original album, but also a second disc featuring a generous helping of never- before-heard live recordings, early demo recordings, alternate mixes, and other previously unreleased material. There will also be a limited number of autographed deluxe editions each containing a very special "SOMETHING" directly from Andrew's private collection - including everything from a lock of his hair to a world tour airplane ticket stub. In addition to the special CD release, I Get Wet will also be reissued as a special double gate-fold vinyl LP.

!!!!

I NEED THAT LP!

I will also be putting up the cash for the CD release but we'll see about the limited. I think if I bought a limited version and found guitar picks or a subway coupon (signed of course) in the packaging, I would be happy.

DF118
07-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Is it true that Andrew WK is actually 2 dudes? And that one of them's actually called Steev Mike?

REPLICA
07-15-2012, 05:40 PM
Is it true that Andrew WK is actually 2 dudes? And that one of them's actually called Steev Mike?

He went over that in one of his party chats, he cleared it up for us. He did an interview of it too...

EDIT: He said there was a lot of stuff that happened with that. But Steev Mike was someone who he knew back in the day and it didn't turn out so great.

DF118
07-15-2012, 05:55 PM
He went over that in one of his party chats, he cleared it up for us. He did an interview of it too...

So, did he admit it or what then? Because if this is true, it's amazing.

He went further on to say: "Andrew W.K. was created by a large group of people. They met, and I was there, and we talked about how we could come up with something that would move people. It was done in the spirit of commerce. It was done in the spirit of entertainment, which usually goes hand in hand with commerce. I was auditioned, along side many other people, to fill this role of a 'great frontman', 'a great performer'. On the one hand it may be a little scary to admit this to you all, that I may not be exactly who you thought I was, and that the guy who was, in fact, first hired as Andrew W.K. is a different person than the guy sitting here on the stage tonight. I'm the next person who is playing Andrew W.K."[58] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_W.K.#cite_note-rockfeedback.com-57)

Does anyone reckon that's true?

aggroculture
07-16-2012, 12:03 AM
To me all that doppleganger stuff is his way of talking about major label marketing of an artist: everything that goes on behind the scenes to create an artist's persona.
It also appears to be the case that a fight with his dad, who was his lawyer at the time, prevented him from releasing music under the Andrew WK name in the US over the last decade...

PQHooligan
07-16-2012, 04:26 AM
I saw him on Friday, and they were one of the better concerts I've seen lately - tons of energy, 6 total guitarists, and an amazingly sexy woman singing backup/headbanging to boot!

aggroculture
11-27-2012, 04:38 PM
AWK is at the center of another weird story. Go figure...
http://andrewwk.com/news/official-statement-andrew-shares-facts-from-his-side-of-state-dept-controversy

Conan The Barbarian
11-27-2012, 05:06 PM
He is awesome. He will have the whole middle east partying and doing his headbang

henryeatscereal
11-27-2012, 05:21 PM
It comes as a shock to me he has 5 studio albums i wasn't aware of... (I just own "I Get Wet" and "The Wolf")

Sutekh
11-29-2012, 01:01 PM
not a massive fan but the whole steev mike thing was a great bit of rock soap opera! To this day I'm not so sure what's going on there