PDA

View Full Version : Dark Shadows

Hazekiah
03-16-2012, 06:40 PM
So I was just looking for something else ENTIRELY on YouTube when I got THIS as a surprise ad along the way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isjg9O7ifwM

Somehow it hadn't even OCCURRED to me that that Burton would be turning it into a 70s period comedy, lol.

I dig it.

:)

october_midnight
03-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Had to sit through this earlier. Holyyyyy crap what a turd. I know Burton no longer directs a movie without his wife...Johnny Depp, but come on. Rehashed dark set pieces from ________ (insert any other Burton movie), have a shitty joke followed by a silent three seconds of Depp raising an eyebrow, 70's rock (or strangely Barry White in this case)...I know it's nothing new to say 'He always does the same thing!' but unless you're 13 years old.......at this point, he always does the same fucking thing.

Deadpool
03-16-2012, 06:49 PM
I will see this for Eva Green. She is amazing.

thevoid99
03-16-2012, 07:03 PM
I will see this for Eva Green. She is amazing.

Same here. This might actually be a Tim Burton film I'd want to see along with <i>Frankenweenie</i>. It looks really funny.

Lutz
03-18-2012, 05:28 PM
That trailer is one fart/poo joke away from Alvin and the Chipmunks.

aggroculture
03-18-2012, 05:59 PM
Looks like a cross between Beetlejuice and Sleepy Hollow. Will almost certainly give this a miss. But I did like Big Fish. Wish he'd gone more in that direction than re-hashing himself ad nauseam.

marodi
03-18-2012, 08:21 PM
I've never seen the original 60s series but I saw the 1991 revival and I loved it (little trivia here for those of you who are Joseph Gordon-Levitt's fans: he had quite an important role in it and it is one of his earliest work) so I was hopeful when I learned that it was given the movie treatment but when I saw that trailer...

I just sat there flabbergasted. I almost wanted to gouge my eyes out. I did expect something out of ordinary from Burton but not this mess! It looks like a really bad Burton-Depp movie parody made by someone who doesn't know what he's doing. The "jokes" fall so flat it made me want to cry. It feels like when someone takes all of last week's leftovers, throws them all together to make some sort of indigestible goo and wants to force it down your throat. It's horrible!

I feel bad for the cast because there are very good actors in it. How could this go so wrong?

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
03-18-2012, 11:09 PM
To be fair, almost everything Burton's done for the past two decades has played like a parody of a Tim Burton movie, so in that respect this is really nothing new or especially egregious.

Conan The Barbarian
03-18-2012, 11:34 PM
Glad to see that I am not the only one who thinks Burton has completely lost his touch. He fucking sucks.

hobochic
03-19-2012, 06:19 AM
Burton has sucked since Planet of the Apes. Even Sleepy Hollow had me sensing something was about to go sour.
Depp has made a big deal about his choice to not watch his own movies, maybe he should start watching them to realize what a generic character actor he has become. His growly voice sounds like my 13 year old cousin trying to sound badass.

Anyway, aside from Depp's character, I think this movie is starting to go back to the early style and scenography that I used to like about Burton movies. 60's 70's sets, big hair, black comedy, sorta like Beetlejuice, Mars Attacks, Scissorhands. Wishful thinking maybe...

Lutz
03-19-2012, 04:17 PM
After the recent success of both Hugo and The Artist I bet everybody involved in this is regretting their judgement of what kind of market there is for a serious Dark Shadows remake.

harrismonkey
03-22-2012, 01:10 AM
To be fair, almost everything Burton's done for the past two decades has played like a parody of a Tim Burton movie, so in that respect this is really nothing new or especially egregious.

Yeah, I wasn't surprised.

I LOVED Sweeney Todd (which really surprised me), otherwise the Burton magic seems like it dried up somewhere around Ed Wood.

I am for what ever reason intrigued by Frankenweenie. The idea actually dates back to his good years, I'm generally a stop motion fan and it looks cool. I'm keeping my expectations in check though.

EDIT: I haven't been around in a while, but I love how I'm back to just one post (and apparently flaccid now).

Mech
03-22-2012, 03:50 PM
looks like every other tum burton film as of late. He can't even be bothered to find new a new lead actor. I don't know which looks worse, this or Frankenweenie, the animated one where a boy reincarnates his dead dog. Gross!!

Lutz
05-18-2012, 09:17 PM
I thought this was a reasonable two hour movie that could have been an amazing five hour movie :P.

I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed the moments where the characters are just sitting around talking. I think the real problem with this is the overwritten plot. It is never given the appropriate amount of time to air or add gravitas by using the abundance of characters and fantastic actors which are it's true strength but instead relies too much on weak set pieces to tell the story in shorthand.

And I think that might also be what Tim Burton's main problem is - Tim Burton can't direct set pieces.

Sutekh
05-18-2012, 09:39 PM
I don't want to pry too far for fear of spoilers... does it have anything to do with the old TV series?

october_midnight
05-18-2012, 09:56 PM
Whereas I'm not sure about any real specifics (as I don't plan on seeing this), yeah it's based on the old soap opera.

Lutz
05-18-2012, 11:59 PM
The humour in this isn't too distracting either. As a comparison all the dreadful scene stopping humour in The Lord of the Rings films was much worse.

(It's also better directed, acted and more enjoyable than something like The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo remake.)

NIN64
05-19-2012, 05:57 AM
It's also better directed, acted and more enjoyable than something like The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo remake.

Please elaborate. . .