PDA

View Full Version : Record Store Day 2012

Blackbookpress1984
03-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Anyone here excited for anything that's coming out? I can't seem to find anything of major interest.

Space Suicide
03-07-2012, 04:44 PM
Anyone here excited for anything that's coming out? I can't seem to find anything of major interest.

Me either, at the moment.

Dissonance
03-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Meshuggah - Koloss at the end of the month.

richardp
03-07-2012, 10:33 PM
I'm pretty excited for the Arcade Fire release. I really like both of those remixes. Might be neat to own them on vinyl. Also, I'm sure The Flaming Lips will release something ultra cool.

Blackbookpress1984
03-08-2012, 09:07 AM
Last year just seemed so much cooler. I got the Day to Remember picture disc 7'' the rise against picurter disc 7'' an their full length. and there seemed to be more people talking about it. From what I've read this year is gaining steam on past years, but as of now it seems like it might be a dissapointment.

frankie teardrop
03-08-2012, 10:05 AM
captured tracks is nailing it this year:

http://capturedtracks.com/news/record-store-day-bundle-up-for-pre-order/

definitely getting the wake boxset, likely the medicine one, too!

ManOfAtom
03-08-2012, 02:30 PM
I'm after the mclusky do dallas reissue but I won't be near a record store, so I'm just hoping I can grab one online.

hologram parade
03-08-2012, 02:50 PM
gonna pick up a amanda palmer ltd 7" (polly/idioteque)

dlb
03-08-2012, 03:10 PM
that Tomahawk LP box set looks nice. Hope I can fetch one. Somehow.

Kid Charlemagne
03-08-2012, 03:23 PM
Looking forward to getting Mastodon's 7 inch of their cover of "A Spoonful Weighs a Ton", that's about it though.

october_midnight
03-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Full record list released. (http://www.strictlydiscs.com/page/about/us/intheknow?id=105)

Space Suicide
03-18-2012, 11:00 PM
Only things that really caught my eye were the David Bowie, Crosses and Gorillaz releases. A few other things I seen would be nice but the aforementioned ones are the only ones I'd be interested in.

blackholesun
03-19-2012, 02:07 AM
Definitely gonna make it out this year. Wants: Botch, Tallest Man On Earth, Pelican, Sigur Ros

hologram parade
03-19-2012, 07:36 AM
Very excited abt the new Beach House

october_midnight
03-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Well there's just one thing I'd even be interested in buying.

Tom Waits designs a shirt for sale on Record Store Day. (http://eyeballkid.blogspot.ca/2012/03/tom-waits-designs-t-shirts-for-record.html?spref=fb&m=1)

Deadpool
03-20-2012, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the list of all the releases! I just looked at it again, and somehow I missed the 7" that The Black Angels are putting out, which has 2 new tunes and a cover woo! I'm gonna need that. My brother snagged the "Another Nice Pair" exclusive for me last year which I still love, if only for the translucent red vinyl.

As far as the other new stuff goes, I'm very interested in the releases from Beach House, Bowie, Crosses, St. Vincent, School of Seven Bells, Pelican, M83, Mastodon/Feist, My Brightest Diamond, Neon Trees, and Steven Wilson. Hopefully I'm able to get at least one of these. I'd probably rank The Black Angels, School of Seven Bells, and Beach House 7"s at the top of my list in that order however.

NotoriousTIMP
03-20-2012, 06:52 PM
Misfits, The Cure, and maybe the Iggy Pop....thats about it. Kinda weak :(

InsectGod
03-27-2012, 09:59 AM
I'm really excited for the Black Angels release! Two (3) songs that are new and it's on orange vinyl. :D

richardp
03-27-2012, 11:01 AM
I'm excited about the Sigur Ros releases, the Flaming Lips Heady Fwends set, and a few 7"s including Crosses and St Vincent. I'm expecting to not really actually get any of them, but, you know, it's still fun trying.

InsectGod
03-28-2012, 09:40 AM
I'm expecting to not really actually get any of them, but, you know, it's still fun trying.

Yeah, me too. I live in Greensboro North Carolina. Not much comes this way

Deadpool
03-28-2012, 11:26 AM
InsectGod knows what's up. The Black Angels are amazing. Everybody hop on the Black Angels train.

New song is a departure for them in the best way. Can't wait to hear the other tracks!

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/13359-id-rather-be-lonely/

orestes
04-21-2012, 12:32 PM
Well, today was a bust. Next year, I'll reserve copies of what I want to buy.

blackholesun
04-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Got 4 of the 6 I wanted. Not bad. Also picked up a few old Neil Young recs. Score.

richardp
04-21-2012, 03:39 PM
Hit the goddamn jackpot today!
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/535228_10150673551717823_597877822_9332115_1243302 463_n.jpg

blackholesun
04-21-2012, 03:40 PM
Goddamn so jealous of the Sigur Ros!

perceptionnexus
04-21-2012, 03:57 PM
didn't get any new releases, but i did manage to snag something i've wanted for years: the tweaker doom 3 theme song 7", mint condition, autographed, number 445/500. got it for only $15

richardp
04-21-2012, 04:05 PM
Goddamn so jealous of the Sigur Ros!

I literally got the last copy the store had. They only received 8 of them. I was so excited. The only release that I wasn't able to get that was on my list was the Crosses 7".

NotoriousTIMP
04-21-2012, 05:40 PM
Jackpot!

http://img.tapatalk.com/a6fa0122-3719-3b86.jpg

Also, my buddy flew out to Third Man Records and scored the first ever liquid filled vinyl :) I'm super fucking jealous and look at the prices it's fetching on eBay :(

http://img.tapatalk.com/a6fa0122-375c-93f3.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/a6fa0122-376a-6b45.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/a6fa0122-3776-9a1b.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/a6fa0122-3781-6d34.jpg

Sadly these records have already started to leak :( I guess they used a really weak cork under the label and that's why the sticker says to keep this upright while in storage

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk

NotoriousTIMP
04-21-2012, 05:43 PM
didn't get any new releases, but i did manage to snag something i've wanted for years: the tweaker doom 3 theme song 7", mint condition, autographed, number 445/500. got it for only $15

Was this released for RSD?

Space Suicide
04-21-2012, 06:02 PM
I'd love to participate in this every year but no where close participates at all. I'd love to have some of these limited special releases that hit one day a year.

perceptionnexus
04-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Was this released for RSD?

No, it came out back in 2004 when doom 3 was released. i snagged this one on discogs.com and it just happened to arrive today. not sure what the actual value is but i rarely see them come up for sale.

hologram parade
04-21-2012, 10:21 PM
i went down to strictly discs in madison, wi. i picked up:

beach house - lazuali/equal mind
karen elson - milk and honey/winter going
lcd sound system - losing my edge/beat connection
st. vincent - krokodil/grot
edwarde sharpe & magnetic zeros - one love to another/a letter to the american democrat
amanda palmer - polly/idioteque

Blackbookpress1984
04-21-2012, 10:33 PM
NOT A RSD release, but did score Year Zero on vinyl for a semi decent price. That Jack white liquid vinyl is ridiculous though. Props to whoever got one.

richardp
04-21-2012, 11:28 PM
st. vincent - krokodil/grot

Man how fucking good are those two songs? I've probably listened to that 45 at least 6 times today. I want an entire album of angry St. Vincent.

The Reason Being
04-22-2012, 08:20 AM
This was my first record store day, so didnt know what to expect. I was only in it for the Gorillaz 10", so woke up at 5am and queued from 6 til 8:30 when it was announced, 15 people from the front, that it had sold out. Went home feeling really frustrated, dont think i'll bother next year haha :)

eversonpoe
04-22-2012, 08:34 AM
i was running sound for a play on friday night, got home at midnight and found out that the store near me was doing a midnight sale, so i hopped on my bike and went over there. i then stood in line, freezing my ass off for an hour, only to get up to the counter to find they had sold out of the one thing i really, really wanted: the Tomahawk box set.
so, i went back to plan A, got up at 7am on saturday and went into the city to Reckless Records on broadway, where there was already a decent sized line. and, once again, by the time i got up to the counter, it was sold out. i think the guy behind the counter thought i was going to cry or scream or explode, because he looked terrified after he told me it was gone.

let me just say that i've been a mike patton fan since i was 8 years old. so you can imagine how badly i wanted this.

last night, i checked on eBay last night and there were at least 30 copies of it, the cheapest of which was going for $75 with free shipping. so i said fuck it, and bought it. but i also sent a message to the guy from whom i bought it informing him that people like him ruin record store day for true collectors, and people who actually want the music, not to make money off people. paying way more than i should have had to pay because some people just don't understand compassion and decency is fucking ridiculous.

i'm over record store day. i shop for records all the time, at various different stores. give me the ability to buy limited edition stuff online, or any time at the stores...but don't turn something i love into something that causes frustration and disappointment. shame on you, record store day...

hologram parade
04-22-2012, 09:27 AM
I too would love a album of angry St. Vincent, but I doubt she will do a whole album in that direction. I bought the single because Ive been listeing to shitty live versions of the song and it was driving me nuts - its nice to finally listen to it in decent quality. KROKODIL kinda reminds me of Mercy street by Fever Ray,idk why. Also, I am very much looking forward to her collaborative album w/ David Byrne coming out in the fall. Idk if it will be heavier per se, but it will be good none the less.

dlb
04-22-2012, 10:04 AM
Wanted to get my hands on the Tomahawk box set, but the only two shops participating didn't carry it. Bummer...

richardp
04-22-2012, 10:22 AM
i'm over record store day. i shop for records all the time, at various different stores. give me the ability to buy limited edition stuff online, or any time at the stores...but don't turn something i love into something that causes frustration and disappointment. shame on you, record store day...

I get your frustration entirely, but if RSD were to offer the choice of allowing people to buy the records online, that would simply defeat the purpose of Record Store Day. The point is to actually get out of your house, avoiding the digital realm, and to go actually shop at the brick and mortar stores. The exclusives are just a way to help bring in the business. The real point of the day is going into local music shops and exploring their collections. Yes, there are A LOT of assholes out there that stand in line all morning just to turn it around and sell it on ebay, but the people that run RSD and shop owners are actually putting out a lot of continuous effort in order to stop the scalpers.

Deadpool
04-22-2012, 11:02 AM
This was the first Record Store Day I was able to participate in, and it was cool! My local shop is frankly run by a jerk, but I got some stuff I didn't think would even be available, namely the "Blood For Poppies" single from Garbage and "Tebowie." Luckily, my brother called me later in the afternoon to see if I wanted anything from the Connecticut shop he was in, and he was able to snag me the new Black Angels single! Fuck yeah. That was definitely at the top of my list, so I'm psyched get my mitts on that.

I'd have liked to get the School of Seven Bells, St. Vincent and Beach House 7"s, among others, but I at least know the Seven Bells single will be available digitally this Tuesday.

Congrats to those of you who managed to get what you wanted!

richardp
04-22-2012, 02:44 PM
he was able to snag me the new Black Angels single! Fuck yeah. That was definitely at the top of my list, so I'm psyched get my mitts on that

I wish I would have picked that up. I heard both tracks earlier, and they are phenomenal. Especially I'd Rather Be Lonely. I really like this new sound of theirs.

orestes
04-22-2012, 06:20 PM
Not too impressed with the Gorillaz single, which is the polite way of saying it's shite.

Blackbookpress1984
04-22-2012, 09:19 PM
Wanted to get my hands on the Tomahawk box set, but the only two shops participating didn't carry it. Bummer...

That was a nice set. The buddy i went with bought it. I was impressed.

eversonpoe
04-23-2012, 09:02 AM
I get your frustration entirely, but if RSD were to offer the choice of allowing people to buy the records online, that would simply defeat the purpose of Record Store Day. The point is to actually get out of your house, avoiding the digital realm, and to go actually shop at the brick and mortar stores. The exclusives are just a way to help bring in the business. The real point of the day is going into local music shops and exploring their collections. Yes, there are A LOT of assholes out there that stand in line all morning just to turn it around and sell it on ebay, but the people that run RSD and shop owners are actually putting out a lot of continuous effort in order to stop the scalpers.

you're right. and that makes sense. but there really is no way to distinguish the people who are there because they love the music and want the records from the people who are going to turn around and sell stuff on ebay. i mean, like i said, when i checked on saturday night, there were already at least 30 copies of that box set listed.

the worst part of it was that the guy from whom i bought it sent me a message telling me i was the "dumb fuck" for buying it from him, and that i should know that he enjoyed spending my money...so, just...really not a nice guy.

Blackbookpress1984
04-23-2012, 04:41 PM
^^ People are and will awlays be assholes. Just look at the douchebag from Molecular records whos always trying to sell common NIN discs for $30 a pop (and up) on ebay and discogs. But, even though i feel your pain, about some of these itmes I / you / we want being so expensive, if you bite the bullet and buy it for a high price, maybe that just means you really really wanted it. And if you wanted it, maybe the money part shouldn't be such a large peice of the picture. Although, him calling youa a dumb fuck is a bit out if hand. I would report his ass to ebay. maybe they'll ban him or something. Then hell have to start over with new ratins and what not. Anyhow, enjoy the tomahawk box set. I held one for a bit and that was good enought for me, since im not the bigges tpatton fan. How is the TGWTDT vinyl set BTW? IS IT HEAVY? LOL

eversonpoe
04-23-2012, 05:29 PM
How is the TGWTDT vinyl set BTW? IS IT HEAVY? LOL

it still hasn't shipped yet. at this point, it's supposed to ship on friday...but we'll see.

Blackbookpress1984
04-24-2012, 09:31 AM
Damn. Howw late is that now?

Ryan
04-24-2012, 08:36 PM
About 2 months.

jmtd
04-26-2012, 02:27 PM
The problem I have with rsd is that the exclusives are pretty much the antithesis of why I like vinyl today. I enjoy finding a bargain, digging out something old, perhaps taking a chance on something I haven't heard before (recent examples: a rush album, a bauhaus comp). For me record fairs work best. I understand what they're trying to do with rsd but the exclusives don't work for me. I occasionally visit my local stores anyway, but they don't put much effort into categorising their stock (everything in hoppers labelled "new stock / unsorted") so it's a pain in the ass to go regularly.

NotoriousTIMP
04-26-2012, 02:43 PM
^^ People are and will awlays be assholes. Just look at the douchebag from Molecular records whos always trying to sell common NIN discs for $30 a pop (and up) on ebay and discogs. But, even though i feel your pain, about some of these itmes I / you / we want being so expensive, if you bite the bullet and buy it for a high price, maybe that just means you really really wanted it. And if you wanted it, maybe the money part shouldn't be such a large peice of the picture. Although, him calling youa a dumb fuck is a bit out if hand. I would report his ass to ebay. maybe they'll ban him or something. Then hell have to start over with new ratins and what not. Anyhow, enjoy the tomahawk box set. I held one for a bit and that was good enought for me, since im not the bigges tpatton fan. How is the TGWTDT vinyl set BTW? IS IT HEAVY? LOL

Speaking of Molecular Records, I sold a bunch of NIN silver pressed bootlegs on eBay a month or so back only to see the lot being resold on MR's name a week later. When I messaged the guy who bought them and asked if he also goes by MR on eBay, I received a nasty reply telling me to mind my own business and that he can sell the discs to whoever he wanted to. Then I got a follow up message saying that he had burned copies of each disc then gave them to the MR guy so he could sell them (or something along those lines) - anyways, the name he goes by when not using the MR name is 'crippleplaything' - the guy is a serious douche and gets all defensive when you ask him questions

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Blackbookpress1984
04-27-2012, 04:47 PM
wow. well, now that we know another one of his handles, maybe his sales will continue to drop. :)

NotoriousTIMP
05-09-2012, 07:39 AM
So I've been slowly filling my collection from RSD2012 with items I missed out on when I was at the store. I just got my hands on The Knack's 10" which is pretty badass...you can find these on ebay for $15-20 which is a killer deal for something that looks so cool

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/fc155dc6.jpg

My buddy Gary (the guy who got the liquid filled record on the first page) managed to snag the following for me directly from Third Man Records :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/a90cff9d.jpg

new rolling record store slipmat!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/39f37aa2.jpg

and the "Sixteen Saltines" etched 12" from Jack White
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/6aa6d045.jpg

and I remember someone saying they wanted the Tomahawk boxset. Well, they've come down in price BIG TIME and you can snag them as low as $40 (this isn't my auction)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOMAHAWK-Eponymous-to-Anonymous-3-Vinyl-LP-Box-Set-Record-Store-Day-RSD-2012-/261017441410?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item3cc5da1482#ht_500wt_1156

eversonpoe
05-09-2012, 08:32 AM
and I remember someone saying they wanted the Tomahawk boxset. Well, they've come down in price BIG TIME and you can snag them as low as $40 (this isn't my auction)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOMAHAWK-Eponymous-to-Anonymous-3-Vinyl-LP-Box-Set-Record-Store-Day-RSD-2012-/261017441410?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item3cc5da1482#ht_500wt_1156

thanks, man...but i (unfortunately) already paid some asshole $75 for one. i still need to get around to reporting him on ebay for calling me a "dumb fuck" and reminding me how much better than me he thinks he is...

NotoriousTIMP
10-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Hello RSD fans! Black Friday is almost here and slowly the lists of releases is popping up on the net. So far I plan on getting the White Stripes 7" collection, the skrillex banarang ep, maybe the nirvana release, and this bad boy:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/841c2b72c528ca6783c2d34d6d6528d4.jpg

http://download.recordstoreday.com/free/2012BLACK_FRIDAY_PUBLIC.pdf

smokey_mcpot
10-22-2012, 05:16 PM
^sweet find. does a pulp fiction exist?

NotoriousTIMP
11-23-2012, 05:09 PM
Just got back from RSDBF and I must say that I'm almost ready to never do one of these again. Just seeing people push and shove one another for records sad. :( I miss the good old days when everyone was friendly and people helped one another get what they were looking for.

There was one guy at the shop this morning that clearly planned on selling his stuff on eBay. He literally grabbed one of everything and was pushing people out of his way to get what he wanted.....

/rant

Anyways, I got what I wanted and I did it by waiting patiently for the horde to pillage the pile before digging through the remains. :)

Reservoir Dogs OST on splatter orange vinyl!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/2CFD2162-02F1-492A-8C64-5469EC6432EB-7288-0000063147D45DB1.jpg

All three White Stripes 7"s on red wax!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/129AB440-7D22-4243-8D1D-5417F927F32B-7288-00000631453CEDB8.jpg

richardp
11-23-2012, 05:48 PM
^^^... That's super unfortunate. I didn't participate in the Black Friday exclusives just because there was nothing that I wanted, but when I did RSD earlier this year, it was great. Everyone was helping each other out. Our store had a 5 at a time rule going and people at the table were asking people at the front of the line if they wanted anything, and the shop owner was literally taking requests from people in line and he was bringing items to the people waiting to get to the table. It was really nice and well mannered.

There was ONE guy who did a dick move when someone in line asked if there were anymore Beefhart 7" and some guy said "yeah I think this is the last one" and instead of handing it to the guy he said "naw I think I want it now" and the shop owner literally called him out loudly in front of the whole store and if I remember correctly actually made the guy put his shit back.

NotoriousTIMP
11-23-2012, 06:28 PM
^^^
Good for that shop owner! I wish the Easy Street Records here would do a 5 at a time rule. Instead, we waited in line for for 30+ minutes only to have a few assholes push everyone out of the way. *ugh* I'm still kinda upset about today....

richardp
11-23-2012, 11:47 PM
^^^
Good for that shop owner! I wish the Easy Street Records here would do a 5 at a time rule. Instead, we waited in line for for 30+ minutes only to have a few assholes push everyone out of the way. *ugh* I'm still kinda upset about today....

You should contact that shop with the suggestion of implementing rules! The shop that I go to every year for RSD has a fantastic system in place. 5 people at the table at a time, each person gets 5 picks. When one person leaves, another goes up. It's a practically perfect system and I've only ever seen that one problem.

NotoriousTIMP
03-22-2013, 09:47 PM
*bump* for 2013!!!!

Pretty excited about the following release

http://s3.amazonaws.com/broadtime_photo/418455338512

The Reason Being
03-22-2013, 10:11 PM
I'll pick up the Jamie xx remix 12", seeing as everything that dude touches turns to gold.

Space Suicide
03-22-2013, 11:09 PM
*bump* for 2013!!!!

Pretty excited about the following release

http://s3.amazonaws.com/broadtime_photo/418455338512

Grrrrrrr, I wish we had a good store in town. I'd love to have that.

hologram parade
03-23-2013, 11:14 AM
things im hoping to pick up:

Grizzly Bear - Horn of Plenty 12”
David Bowie - The Stars (Are Out Tonight) 7”
Sharon Van Etten - We Are Fine 7”
Bob Dylan - Wigwam (Demo) 7”
Elliott Smith - Either/Or (Alternate Versions) 7”
The Band - The Last Waltz 3x12”
Brian Eno X Nicolas Jaar X Grizzly Bear 12”