PDA

View Full Version : Bill Maher

Hazekiah
02-23-2012, 09:26 PM
WTF is WRONG with you?Why aren't you already getting ready to watch THIS live:http://screen.yahoo.com/crazystupidpolitics/

Yeah, I think that stopped working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Yek9-nBos

AND MIGHT I ALSO RECOMMEND:

BE MORE CYNICAL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifiqTlpJgsc

VICTORY BEGINS AT HOME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q52y41Mifro

I'M SWISS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYWfIblFEZ4

THE DECIDER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAkXElqzHIA

littlemonkey613
02-24-2012, 04:21 AM
WTF is WRONG with you?

Why aren't you already getting ready to watch THIS live:

http://screen.yahoo.com/crazystupidpolitics/

got to admit I love his arrogance, I love his humor and I LOVE REAL TIME. The reason I love his show has more to do with the fact that his guests are always intelligent and interesting. Hahaha more so than him most of the time which makes for a really interesting show.

theruiner
02-24-2012, 05:39 AM
Bill Maher's great. If I'm not busy Saturday, I'll have to try to watch this. Also, I really miss Real Time since I don't have HBO any more.

onthewall2983
02-24-2012, 05:56 AM
What was his surprise?

danebraddy
02-24-2012, 06:30 AM
He donated $1,000,000 to Obama's super PAC - putting his money where his mouth is methinks

Hazekiah
09-05-2012, 08:34 AM
Updated the OP.

:)

sweeterthan
09-05-2012, 12:31 PM
I love Bill and his show. My husband calls him my boyfriend. I don't always agree with him and sometimes think he can be a douche but he always tries to look at the other side of issues. On last friday's real time, he called out the Obama 2016 guy for thinking we should take his word on what obama thinks. He also said its hard to discuss issues with people who don't see facts as facts.

Kodiak33
09-05-2012, 12:56 PM
I don't agree with much with Maher (besides the drug war and that the GOP is crazy right now). But his show is great, he brings together a bunch of people from all sides to debate. No one else does this as good as Real Time.

Kodiak33
09-05-2012, 12:57 PM
I love Bill and his show. My husband calls him my boyfriend. I don't always agree with him and sometimes think he can be a douche but he always tries to look at the other side of issues. On last friday's real time, he called out the Obama 2016 guy for thinking we should take his word on what obama thinks. He also said its hard to discuss issues with people who don't see facts as facts.

That was GREAT. The guy was a total nutcase. I can't believe people are falling for that "documentary". When Bill slammed his head on his desk about the other guy repudiating facts, I actually felt bad for Bill.

PooPooMeowChow
09-05-2012, 01:05 PM
I like Real Time and I like Bill. But there's something about his stand up I don't like. I think it's the way he delivers his jokes.

littlemonkey613
09-05-2012, 01:36 PM
I too do not agree with everything this man says but man is his show awesome! Seriously of all the political shows I can think of he consistently has interesting people with completely varying views. I learn a lot from his first sit down guest especially every week. Awesome stuff.

edit: Oh also Religulous helped my sister bond b/c it made us admit to each other we were both closet atheists. Now we watch it for sisterly laughs having both been subject to Catholic bullshit (albiet somewhat liberal Catholic bullshit) our entire lives. To me no amount of good justifies telling us that a man rose from the dead to die for our sins. Idc if world peace is achieved. People do not rise from the dead. This indoctrination will never be fair to my brain because I spend 80% of my intellectual labor trying to rid myself of the bs.

Magtig
09-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Bill Maher repeatedly bashes NASA and arts funding (damn those new ideas and technologies!). How fucking blind can you be? Neil DeGrasse Tyson himself has explained to Maher how NASA funding is an investment in the future, and a solution not a problem, but he still refuses to come around. In fact, he hasn't even really offered a defense other than the incredibly short sighted, 'we should focus on our problems here' argument. How trite and tired is that?

I hate that his show is one of the only ones with decent debates. I'm sick of his smug bullshit, and I wanted to wring his neck when he said, "New rule, Mars sucks." No, Bill, you suck.

The Curiosity landing is the sole single event in my life where I can say I was actually proud of my government and country. Bill Maher wants to piss all over that because the photos coming from Curiosity, before it's even off the "runway," aren't exciting enough for him? Really? If you're not on board with the future, what the fuck are you on board with? Blame is not a trail blazer.

Jinsai
09-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Yeah, well, Maher can be really arrogant and misguided on some topics. The most bizarre one was his paranoid conspiracy about vaccines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB5DLf1Qt78

Still, it was really nice to see him destroy Dinesh D'souza last week.

neorev
09-06-2012, 05:33 PM
I dont find that his stance on vaccines means he is completely paranoid
I dont believe in all vaccines and there is building evidence against them
Have you read some of the ingredients in these things?
No flu shots or swine flu shots for me sorry

Magtig
09-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Still, it was really nice to see him destroy Dinesh D'souza last week.
Fair enough, and I did enjoy that. But then again, there are all those comments about how he would rather have been molested by Michael Jackson than beaten up on the playground as a kid. I'll take the beating, thanks.

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
09-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Bill Maher's kind of a shithead. That he's 'our' shithead doesn't provide much relief when he can be just as calloused and bloviating as the likes of, I don't know, Bill O'Reilly. They're smart guys—Maher and O'Reilly—but both also have severe blind spots and are kind of two-dimensional TV characters and spend most of their time pandering to the lowest common denominator in their respective audiences.

I dont find that his stance on vaccines means he is completely paranoid
I dont believe in all vaccines and there is building evidence against them
Have you read some of the ingredients in these things?
No flu shots or swine flu shots for me sorry
No, it doesn't mean he's completely paranoid. It means that he's a little paranoid, and mostly willfully ignorant. There is no building evidence against vaccines: there's a building *campaign* against them in some segments of the public, which is far from the same thing. The ingredient lists don't mean what you think and you have no idea what you're talking about.

theruiner
09-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Fair enough, and I did enjoy that. But then again, there are all those comments about how he would rather have been molested by Michael Jackson than beaten up on the playground as a kid. I'll take the beating, thanks.I lost a huge amount of respect for him for that one.

littlemonkey613
09-06-2012, 07:37 PM
OH my main gripe with him would have to be that one time that he was actually trying to explain why the rape of a 13 year old girl by a male is inherently worse than the rape of a 13 year old boy by a female. I lost my shit. I think that day they were talking about teacher rape.

Like in order to say this you have to have no understanding of what actually makes rape a horrible experience and why the nature of consent is the end all be all when discussing these kinds of things. His ignorance was on display like no other time when he was making these abhorrent comments.

Hazekiah
09-06-2012, 08:50 PM
Did he address it on "Real Time..." too with basically the same material or is THIS what's got everyone so worked up?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkCqXMCLbaQ

themethatyouknow
09-07-2012, 12:43 AM
OH my main gripe with him would have to be that one time that he was actually trying to explain why the rape of a 13 year old girl by a male is inherently worse than the rape of a 13 year old boy by a female. I lost my shit. I think that day they were talking about teacher rape.

Like in order to say this you have to have no understanding of what actually makes rape a horrible experience and why the nature of consent is the end all be all when discussing these kinds of things. His ignorance was on display like no other time when he was making these abhorrent comments.

That particular arguement went on here too. Or at least at the old ETS. You should know that the vast majority of users on this site took Maher's side. It's the typical opinion of both macho males, and strangely also feminists. That men(or boys) are good with anything sexual, and as long as someone doesn't force something up their ass, it's perfectly fine.

littlemonkey613
09-07-2012, 01:23 AM
That particular arguement went on here too. Or at least at the old ETS. You should know that the vast majority of users on this site took Maher's side. It's the typical opinion of both macho males, and strangely also feminists. That men(or boys) are good with anything sexual, and as long as someone doesn't force something up their ass, it's perfectly fine.

You gotta be fucking kidding me...This is the shit that keeps me up at night. WOW. What a sad excuse for human thinking and FEMINIST thinking of all things. I am a raging feminist so this is beyond troubling. WOWWWW.

Jinsai
09-07-2012, 02:17 AM
You gotta be fucking kidding me...This is the shit that keeps me up at night. WOW. What a sad excuse for human thinking and FEMINIST thinking of all things. I am a raging feminist so this is beyond troubling. WOWWWW.

Ok... I can tell I'm about to walk into a minefield here, and while my better judgment is telling me to not weigh in at all, I'm going to try to very carefully offer a perspective on this.

Statutory rape is a different thing than rape. I'm not coming anywhere near close to saying that statutory rape isn't incredibly wrong, but there's a very large difference. Most of the cases that I've heard about where an older woman is engaging in inappropriate sex with a male minor, it's still consensual. I agree that it's ludicrous to imply that a minor's consent is true "consent" in the general sense of the word, but still, there's a very obvious difference.

And sure, people discuss this issue in varying ways. Yeah, some insane jackasses approach it with the ridiculous attitude that "shit, when I was a boy all I thought about was pussy." To be fair though, I don't think that the majority opinion on the issue is really stopping there... it enters into a territory that requires unthinkable specifics to truly gauge the horrific totality of the act.

To be more direct about it... yes, I think there's a very obvious difference between a child (male or female) being forcibly dominated and violated (or drugged or otherwise non-consensually assaulted), and statutory rape. I hate to even go here, because it makes it sound like I'm diminishing the seriousness of the issue of statutory rape (and I'm not).

Please don't get me wrong, but I think the distinction is being mostly dodged here, and I consider it to be important to the topic.

littlemonkey613
09-07-2012, 03:46 AM
Ok... I can tell I'm about to walk into a minefield here, and while my better judgment is telling me to not weigh in at all, I'm going to try to very carefully offer a perspective on this.

Statutory rape is a different thing than rape. I'm not coming anywhere near close to saying that statutory rape isn't incredibly wrong, but there's a very large difference. Most of the cases that I've heard about where an older woman is engaging in inappropriate sex with a male minor, it's still consensual. I agree that it's ludicrous to imply that a minor's consent is true "consent" in the general sense of the word, but still, there's a very obvious difference.

And sure, people discuss this issue in varying ways. Yeah, some insane jackasses approach it with the ridiculous attitude that "shit, when I was a boy all I thought about was pussy." To be fair though, I don't think that the majority opinion on the issue is really stopping there... it enters into a territory that requires unthinkable specifics to truly gauge the horrific totality of the act.

To be more direct about it... yes, I think there's a very obvious difference between a child (male or female) being forcibly dominated and violated (or drugged or otherwise non-consensually assaulted), and statutory rape. I hate to even go here, because it makes it sound like I'm diminishing the seriousness of the issue of statutory rape (and I'm not).

Please don't get me wrong, but I think the distinction is being mostly dodged here, and I consider it to be important to the topic.

Statutory rape is not rape between a 13 year old and an adult. Have you ever spoken to these kinds of rape victims? Honestly I believe you have no idea what you are talking about. This is not an argument about statutory rape vs. "rape rape" or w/e you think the fuck is actually happening. 13. THIRTEEN. THIRTEEN. We are not talking about 17 year olds with 30 year olds. Bill's argument was based around the sole fact that he thinks being raped in the vagina is inherently worse than being rubbed off (b/c that's what rape between women and BOYS looks like no matter what). His argument completely ignores the nature of consent. Consent DOES NOT EXIST if you are 13 and the person is in a position of authority with their age AND their authoritarian position in your life. END OF STORY. I cannot even. You actually have no idea what you are talking about. If you want to pretend there's no gendered component to his specific argument that's fine, but you are wrong. Sorry. Also, statutory rape and being completely dominated and violated are not mutually exclusive. When distributions of power are at the heart of this debate the answers become fairly clear. Idk what you are defending at this point but I know more rape victims than I can count and half of them are afraid to admit it because society frames it as "consent". Ugh. I'm only being so stern and emotional about this because I'm arguing against Bill's specific batshit points. He was NOT making a distinction between statutory rape and other forms of rape. That was not the basis of his argument. Idk exactly what you are trying to argue but in terms of this particular situation your comments don't really point to any truth concerning rape.

"Most of the cases that I've heard about where an older woman is engaging in inappropriate sex with a male minor, it's still consensual."

.................................................. .................................................. ........
GENDERED BATSHIT
Could it be that males are told from the time they are born that they always SHOULD want sex with a woman? Could it be that patriarchy has framed our ideas of male sexuality so much that it is literally WRONG for them NOT to want to have sex with an older woman? NOPE. -_- I seriously fear for our children knowing so many people think like this. This is about POWER and INFLUENCE, not about whether some kid happens to say "yes" or happens to be sexually turned on and stimulated by some predator ass hole.

If you want to go case by case in terms of statutory rape I understand that. But NOTHING in this conversation so far has even pointed to that. Statutory rape with 13 year olds... Really? Do you even remember being that young and how much power adults had over you?

Again sorry for seeming so crazy and emotional about this. Rape is a particular interest and obsession of mine b/c it becomes clearer by the day how much people are actually affected by this and it makes me feel uber helpless and nuts. o.O

Hazekiah
09-07-2012, 04:32 AM
^ Touchy, touchy.

For what it's worth, since you seem a bit hung up on this point, I myself actually have a bit of first-hand experience in the matter, as it were.

But firstly, pretty much any consensual sex between an adult and a minor is considered statutory rape AND Maher's point was not SOLEY as you described but also that statutory rape and/or a grabby-handjob is significantly preferable to a viciously violent blunt trauma in the form of a relentlessly overwhelming schoolyard beatdown at the hands and fists of one's physical superiors.

In short, consensual statutory rape is a lesser crime than outright rape and consensual statutory rape is vastly more desirable than being violently assaulted and beaten.

Huzzah for NUANCE!

\o/

If you can't agree with those simple principles then you should probably talk to a professional about that.

But back to the finer points at hand, nyuk-nyuk.

When I was a boy of BARELY A YEAR older than 13 I lost my virginity to a woman of probably something-around-30 (fucking AWESOME, btw, thanks!) and shortly after THAT engaged in a few sexual dalliances with a MUCH older school faculty employee. Were they in a position of authority over me? Sure. Was I legally able to give consent? No. Were they hoping to "take advantage" of me? Possibly. But the FACT of the matter is that I was a lonely, horny, and curious young man who was politely offered an experience I desired, went in with my eyes open, and then left satisfied and untraumatized with no-strings-attached and no harm done.

WIN/WIN.

:D

That is a FAR cry from being RAPED-with-a-capital-R and, frankly, I'd even readily agree with the statement-in-question that especially as a hypersexed teenager I'd certainly rather fall prey to some heavy-petting and a little bump-n-grind than the not-so-tender mercies of the worst schoolyard bullies who maliciously and routinely beat the shit out of me while nary an authority figure batted an eye.

So there. I know what I'm talking about here personally and although he may have been a bit crude and crass in his delivery -- at a stand-up comedy show by the host of "Politically Incorrect" of all places, the horror! -- I can easily and quite comfortably stand in solidarity with Mr. Maher in this particular case, no problem whatsoever.

Hope that helps clarify things.

Jinsai
09-07-2012, 04:38 AM
Statutory rape is not rape between a 13 year old and an adult. Have you ever spoken to these kinds of rape victims? Honestly I believe you have no idea what you are talking about.

Yes, actually I have friends (male and female) who were damaged by this form of abuse (statutory rape), and since I'd rather not delve further into this conversation, I'm just going to say that I have already addressed the point that minor consent is not "true consent." You might be assuming too much. One of the reasons I didn't want to contribute to this conversation is because I saw this sort of response coming. I'm going to say that you haven't infuriated me yet, but you're being presumptuous.

I have tried from the onset here to maintain a civil discourse on the issue. I'm not interested in going down the outrage route with regards to this. On some level, I'm confused as to why you miss how much I actually agree with a great majority of the points you're spitting in my face here.

littlemonkey613
09-07-2012, 04:39 AM
Yeah touchy touchy. My question is this. Did you ever have a chance at saying no? Did you feel that saying no was a possibility. Could you honestly say with confidence that had you not been so jazzed at the opportunity that you could combat these older people whom had no business doing this with you? You are LUCKY. THAT is the difference. It's like its impossible for you guys to even look at this from the perspective of the person who has the authority. How easy would it be for you to convince any kid to do things sexually with you? Again I frame this around power not by the reaction you happen to have.

Edit: Yeah I'm sorry for being so hostile and rude. I seriously apologize and I really trust what you guys are saying. The problem is just so pressing, common and normative that I have trouble not going crazy over it. Really sorry sorry.

Hazekiah
09-07-2012, 04:54 AM
I had multiple opportunities to decline the offers and in fact might easily have been subjected to abuses of their authority and/or physically overpowered should they have opted to go that route. But that's not what happened nor is it what I described.

I think it's also important to note that it's not like Bill was lecturing at a middle school, a psych ward, or a prison when he launched into that routine. He was performing for his audience of generally well-adjusted adults or at the least fairly sharp teenagers, I'd imagine.

It may have been a bit of a quasi-controversial yet relatively-commonsense approach to hot-button issues, but then that's pretty much his stock-in-trade and generally what his audience tunes in for, in case you missed that subtlety.

At worst it should elicit a groan or a boo...I think it's okay to call off the hounds here.

But hey, w/e. It's an open thread, have at it.

:-\

littlemonkey613
09-07-2012, 03:28 PM
It's really the only time I've released the hounds on him (being such a huge fan of the guy).

All this being said I'm super excited for the show tonight now that both conventions are over.

Harry Seaward
09-07-2012, 05:37 PM
If my hot teacher blew me when I was 13, I don't think I'd be too broken up about it.

littlemonkey613
09-07-2012, 05:46 PM
It would still make your teacher a disgusting excuse for an educator, a complete disgrace for an adult, and a horrible predator.

Hazekiah
09-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Not if it's a GOOD blowjob.

Anyway, I think that tangent's pretty much run its course.

Moving on, a lot of you seem to have caught Maher vs. D'Souza.

Here's a repeat performance for those who didn't and the Overtime episode which followed afterward:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09i2YvLPZuE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P9h4PspWDQ

littlemonkey613
09-07-2012, 07:58 PM
^Those clips are so full of awesome. Also, I had no idea that the comment Maher made that got him fired was in fact a reply in agreement. Oh well, HBO will always be a better network for him.

Hazekiah
09-08-2012, 02:02 AM
Okay, maybe it's a bit early but I've been trying like mad to find the just-after-9/11 episode of "Politically Incorrect" to which Maher referred on "Real Time..." last week, and so far it sadly seems to have been an episode overlooked by YouTube uploaders save for the exceedingly brief, controversial, and ultimately unfortunate soundbyte in question.

However, THIS turned up.

Almost exactly 11 years ago today, this was filmed within a week of 9/11 when Maher already knew the hammer was coming down and was still keeping a seat empty in honor of his guest who was killed in one of the planes which went down that day.

He does MENTION the D'souza comment, at least.

An extremely somber and touching episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSVElacXWjE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XFwPrJL5UA

Jinsai
09-08-2012, 04:04 AM
it's a little weird to see Maher praise Clint Eastwood's chair routine. His argument is that he "went out there with a chair and killed, with his talent and routine." No, he "killed" because that audience would have applauded if Clint had pissed himself and whistled into the microphone for thirty minutes.

His "routine" wasn't so successful for the people sitting at home watching it. Even my most hardline conservative friends (who love Clint Eastwood) admit the whole thing was embarrassing and a little difficult to watch.

EDIT: the "new rules" segment ended really poorly with that "It's a wonderful life" thing. Whenever Maher resorts to the "look what michelle bachman's new movie is about! It's about stupid people being stupid!" sort of comedy bits, the show falters for me. If you're not sure what I'm referring to, it's the bits where he does the fake laugh at the end of the delivery of a bad joke. I remember when the show first started out, and it was intersected more obviously with these comedy bit interludes that destroyed the flow of the show and ruined the momentum of the discourse. I'd prefer if he kept his standup comedy material separate from what I think he's actually good at, but I'm sure there's people who disagree.

And sure, "New Rules" is the go-to for his standup bit... but don't resort to justifying those lame "what if?!" or "did you see this fake thing?!" parts of his routine.. because that shit just sucks. I'm mixed on Maher's ability as a standup comedian, but I have to say it isn't his strongest point.

sweeterthan
09-09-2012, 02:04 PM
I get what he's saying about Eastwood but, yeah I don't agree. The empty chair improv was excruciating to watch at home.

New rules can be funny sometimes but I enjoy it more when he makes a political point that I agree with. I wish he would've let that Simon guy talk more instead of interrupting as much as he did. I also loved that he apologized to O'Donnell and that she admitted the 'i am not a witch' commercials were a mistake.

My biggest problem with the show is that it's become too scripted. Instead of focusing on panel discussion, he interrupts to make his cheesy jokes. I could do without that part of the show everytime. It's rarely funny enough to justify breaking up the discussion.

neorev
09-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Bill Maher's kind of a shithead. That he's 'our' shithead doesn't provide much relief when he can be just as calloused and bloviating as the likes of, I don't know, Bill O'Reilly. They're smart guys—Maher and O'Reilly—but both also have severe blind spots and are kind of two-dimensional TV characters and spend most of their time pandering to the lowest common denominator in their respective audiences.

No, it doesn't mean he's completely paranoid. It means that he's a little paranoid, and mostly willfully ignorant. There is no building evidence against vaccines: there's a building *campaign* against them in some segments of the public, which is far from the same thing. The ingredient lists don't mean what you think and you have no idea what you're talking about.

and for the guy who said that I don't know what I am talking about with some vaccines causing more harm than good. all i was saying was to be more careful about what the government says is ok to stick in you...
Vancouver researcher finds flu shot is linked to H1N1 illnesshttp://www.vancouversun.com/health/Vancouver+researcher+finds+shot+linked+H1N1+illnes s/7217609/story.html

enjoy

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
09-11-2012, 02:03 AM
Cool. Thing is, there's published no paper, yet, so it hasn't gone through any peer-review. It's something presented at a conference, and so we don't have any access to the study to examine the methodology or results or whether there's a good basis for the conclusions drawn from the research. And that's not even addressing reproducibility.

But let's look at this story. Actually, let's look at this story from another website, one that provides more information and the words of the author:
http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/ICAAC/34674

The 16 ferrets vaccinated against seasonal influenza experienced significantly greater weight loss -- 7.4% versus 5.2% for the 16 ferrets given placebo (P=0.02), Danuta Skowronski, MD, a fellow in epidemiology at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, and her colleagues reported here at the Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy.

The vaccinated ferrets also accumulated significantly greater lung virus titers -- 4.96 plot forming units/ml versus 4.23 pfu/ml (P=0.01).
So the effect achieves, by a close shave, statistical significance. Note that the author has no interest in trashing vaccines, but is wondering (and looking for reasons) why this effect might be observed in the first place, so that the next round of vaccines might be more effective:

"There may be a direct vaccine effect in which the seasonal vaccine induced some cross-reactive antibodies that recognized pandemic H1N1 virus, but those antibodies were at low levels and were not effective at neutralizing the virus," she continued, explaining that instead of killing the new virus it actually may facilitate its entry into the cells.

A second hypothesis is an indirect vaccine effect, she said. "The vaccine is effective against protecting against seasonal influenza, but seasonal infection can give cross-protection against an array of other viruses," Skowronski said. That effectiveness may block the cross infection and may explain why vaccinated people were at higher risk of more severe acute infection with H1N1, she suggested.

Laurent Kaiser, MD, a member of the ICAAC program committee from the Central Laboratory of Virology at the University Hospitals of Geneva, commented, "Vaccination can change the face of disease -- can prevent disease -- and that's the goal of vaccination. But we have to learn when it can change disease in ways we do not expect."

Skowronski said, "It is inevitable there will be another pandemic influenza virus outbreak. It is crucial that we understand what is that interplay, how do these seasonal viruses interact with these novel viruses such as H5N1 andH7N1 and H3N2 [that] are out there? We have to learn what happened in 2009 in order to prepare for the next time."
Which is cool. Because it's the continuing development of vaccines that renders them safe. So we basically eradicated polio and smallpox with them, and we have a host of other diseases they protect us against, but some things require more research. In this case, we need to figure out why this particular H1N1 shot is linked to increased complications. Note also that the author's second hypothesis. Again: there's no building evidence against vaccines. The overwhelming weight of the evidence shows that vaccines are, on the whole, safe (some individuals have adverse reactions to certain vaccines, the same as some people are allergic to latex, or bee venom, etc.). What if the results come out of the ferret study and we see the higher percentages are the result of just a very small handful of individuals? (16 is a small population size; just a couple ferrets could have a significant effect on the averages.)

So, no, when Maher talks about vaccines, he talks out of his ass.

Enjoy.

orestes
09-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Saw this retweeted on my twitter feed and did a hard eye roll.

These riots and protests across the middle east are terrible news for the vacation plans of nobody

My god, that's such in insular way to look at events, considering the fact the US embassy in Yemen was attacked. I'm sure drone attacks by our military wasn't an underlying factor.

Jinsai
09-22-2012, 03:24 AM
well, the show tonight was ok, but I was expecting something a little more intense given the current climate and the fact that Rushdie was a guest.

And I'll say it again, his mid-period comedy bits are complete bullshit and they ruin the show. There was an actual heated debate happening there, and Maher cuts it short because, as he said, "I have a bit I need to do." Really man, your jokes about the Romni voice service on your phone sucked, and there goes the whole point of the show.

sweeterthan
09-23-2012, 09:41 AM
Agreed! That bit was not funny and not worth interrupting the real discussion taking place. I did enjoy the interview at beginning. That guy made some great points about the drug war and the private prison system.
Bill and Chris Matthews really gave it to that republican radio guy about facts and living in the bubble.

Two things that bothered me the most:
- bill saying that what happened to Daniel Tosh is similar to Romney being secretly taped. Tosh wasn't taped as far as I know and Romney isn't a comedian. How is that related?
- his new rule about the undecided voters. Yes, kardashian and octomom are dipshits but they dont represent the average american voter. the reason why some voters are undecided is because there are only two choices and they don't like either. The lack of choice in our political system is always stark during presidential elections. Make jokes about that Bill! Not two morons no one watching your show cares about.

Hazekiah
11-08-2012, 03:36 AM
Great new format for Larry King where he has an excellent and relaxed conversation with Bill Maher about the recent debates and election, etc.

Anyone who's not so into his comedy or his shows would probably enjoy this a lot more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=fCQmaY5H0YQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtQOviXw5Ag&feature=relmfu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKMq-5uFy7o&feature=relmfu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5yyOj7bBx4&feature=relmfu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCsyczqm5sU&feature=relmfu

Hazekiah
11-17-2012, 05:23 AM
A
POLITICALLY
INCORRECT
DEATHBED TRIBUTE
TO
TIMOTHY LEARY
WITH
DAVID CROSS, ROBERT ANTON WILSON
MICHELLE PHILLIPS, AND BOB GUCCIONE, JR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYzfSzYbmAE&feature=related

elevenism
04-29-2013, 12:49 PM
Bill grates on my fucking nerves for some reason, but our political viewpoints are pretty damn similar.

I recently watched Religulous , and i got a BIG kick out of it.
i'm a christian, but i love all things theological...any religion, any side of the argument.
In fact, if i won the lottery, if i could do anything i wanted to do in this world, i would get a doctorate in theology.

Hazekiah
09-12-2014, 08:32 PM
IT'S FINALLY HERE!!!
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10626509_10152387306857297_1537189080146281102_n.j pg?oh=3699031284c66be23b5cd3e4bb74ce0e&oe=548C3A03

w00t

Hazekiah
04-20-2015, 05:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y00AQ2ZI3MA