PDA

View Full Version : The UK Thread

scorpiusdiamond
02-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Resurrection.
Did anyone care at all about The Brits tonight? I actually procrastinated less because I was avoiding people talking about it...

miss k bee
02-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Watched the last hour meh, Blur didn't have ramble on for their acceptance speech

liquidcalm
02-27-2012, 06:40 AM
I found out I will be meeting Nick Clegg soon. Debating whether to pat him on the shoulder and tell him its okay, or berate him.
I'll probably just offer tea and be quiet.

jmtd
02-27-2012, 08:18 AM
I found out I will be meeting Nick Clegg soon. Debating whether to pat him on the shoulder and tell him its okay, or berate him.
I'll probably just offer tea and be quiet.

I saw a repeat of "have I got news for you" last night, originally broadcast just after the first debate, back when clegg suddenly appeared out of nowhere and floored the other two. The stark contrast to now was remarkable.

Part of me thinks the guy really needs some kind of vote of confidence. I don't think he has his party behind him and I think that plays an enormous role in how he's perceived. The lib dems dont have a pr machine anywhere near as powerful as the other two and I don't think even what they've got is being deployed in clegg's favour. Half the party must be trying to figure out how do portray themselves as outside the coalition to try and protect their votes.

In short, optimistic me thinks he needs one helluva motivation speech and maybe we'll see a rocky-style comeback.

liquidcalm
03-01-2012, 11:10 AM
indeed. I still have a little faith in him, and his party. The way I see it, if there was a full Tory gov in power, things would be worse. A lot worse. The Libs have toned down many things, yet people still seem to blame them (more than the Tory's in some cases it seems) for the shitty situation we are in.
If we had a hung parliament, all that would have occurred is another election, and another round of dick waving, more debates and we would have probably gotten into the same situation again.

So yeh, I'm still a liberal, with a small 'l' guy. I believe in many of the things the Lib Dems stand for, I dislike nearly all the things the Tory's favor, and would not be comfortable with the labour party being in again. My wife is full on Green Party, but I have problems with some of their policies too, so hell, what the hell is there to do? Lose my train of thought and possibly the point it seems. Government. Boo.

DF118
03-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Engelbert Humperdinck.

liquidcalm
03-03-2012, 03:21 AM
Oldies remember him for his songs. I remember him as 'that song from 'The Fast Show'.

halloween
03-05-2012, 04:27 PM
I just felt like sharing this here.
http://i.imgur.com/JtjLw.jpg

scorpiusdiamond
03-14-2012, 11:46 AM
I'm going to Reading Festival this year for the first time, mainly because of At The Drive-In...
Am I going to hate it?
lineup if anyone hasn't seen it:
http://media.livenation.co.uk/reading/2012/hightraffic/reading_fest_lineup.jpg

GibbonBlack
03-14-2012, 12:29 PM
I'm going to Reading Festival this year for the first time, mainly because of At The Drive-In...
Am I going to hate it?

Based on the line up I would hate it. But the atmosphere and people will be fun. You just gotta ask yourself if that's worth the price

sukey
03-14-2012, 04:17 PM
Am I going to hate it?

It depends how old you are...
I did the full weekend in 08 and 09 and a day in 10 and I'm doing the Sunday this year. Basically, I stopped going because I felt like I'd grown out of it (and I wanted to try Glasto, Bestival, Latitude etc). Certainly in recent years it's been very teenage, and not in a good way.

jmtd
03-14-2012, 04:19 PM
Frustrated because I really CBA with Leeds/reading anymore but the cure...

sukey
03-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Frustrated because I really CBA with Leeds/reading anymore but the cure...

This (http://www.optimusalive.com/musica/lineup) is how I'm solving that problem.

WorzelG
05-21-2012, 05:10 AM
Anyone else agree with Nick Clegg about extremism being fuelled across Europe with the economic situation? I'm getting worried loads of fascist groups are going to get more support. I see the problem being the euro currency, all the countries economies are totally different, too different to have this 'one size fits all' approach to get them out of recession

owinn
05-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Anyone else agree with Nick Clegg about extremism being fuelled across Europe with the economic situation? I'm getting worried loads of fascist groups are going to get more support. I see the problem being the euro currency, all the countries economies are totally different, too different to have this 'one size fits all' approach to get them out of recession

I find it hard to believe that fascism is caused by people having no money, it is caused by people with a lack of sense. Supporting a fascist party under the pretence of it being for economic policies is incredibly convenient for some. That's not to say I don't think people are stupid enough, they are.

miss k bee
06-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Went to the Jubilee River Pagent - didn't see the river but St Katherine's Dock was nice. Yay four day weekend!

miss k bee
06-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Fed up with the amount of stuff on sale with the Union Jack flag on !!! enough already ffs!!!

liquidcalm
06-08-2012, 10:10 AM
I'm becoming very bitter about most things involving royalty and the Olympics. Please, just be quiet about it, no I don't think we are that great, no I don't care about sport so why should I care about more sport. "oh but you must at least care about it being in the UK this year?!" "Oh but you have to admit they are great for tourism!"
No, I don't.
*rage*

miss k bee
06-09-2012, 12:29 PM
I dont mind the Olympics so much, will be watching some bits from the comfort of my house, but the Union Flag on everything - dresses, shoes, trousers, pens, cakes, bottles, food packaging etc, etc, too much! Will be interesting to see how London Transport cope or should that be not cope with the Olympics.

aggroculture
06-16-2012, 05:05 AM
Well I'm in the UK, and it's threatening rain, of course. Just went to Barclays, WH Smith, Sainsbury's, Boots. Ha!
Must stay away from prawn cocktails and other mayonnaisy things.

miss k bee
06-16-2012, 12:59 PM
This is British Summer so is always threatening rain!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s480x480/303388_10150964700899054_1862909197_n.jpg

miss k bee
08-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Yay for Team GB at London 2012 on 'super saturday', six golds, 3rd in the medals table!!

Sutekh
08-04-2012, 07:43 PM

They're all dying on their arse now... A pan-euro meetup of the various (fuckwitted) "defence leagues" only attracted 1-200 in sweden, less than that turned up for an EDL demo today up north.

Meanwhile in London, 3 brits - a black muslim, a ginger bloke and a mixed race woman win 3 gold in less than half an hour

miss k bee
08-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Well thats London 2012 done now, well done Team GB and all athletes - think half of London and the UK may need antidepressants this week!

Hope the Paralympics gets good coverage when it starts.

Vertigo
08-13-2012, 03:37 AM
Well, the closing ceremony did a good job of providing a high to get over the downer. I just can't believe how well it was all done - I expected some sort of mini-Armageddon in which the entire city ceased functioning, the banks shut down because all the British Patrick Batemans couldn't get in to work, the ghost of Osama bin Laden gave Boris Johnson a wedgie, mob rule took over and everyone walked away talking about how shitty England is. Or, at least, a Millenium Dome-style exhibition of humdrum mediocrity.
But no! Rather random opening ceremony and a few small issues aside, it came off beautifully, and something to be really proud of.

And then you have the athletes... so many incredible performances from all around the world, and our own best showing since 1908, back when only the host country bothered to send a proper contingent (so it might as well be our best ever). Again... really, really proud, which isn't something you can say too often as a Brit these days.

dlb
08-13-2012, 10:45 AM
The ceremony was pure awesomeness! Of course I had wished for on or two different artists and Jessie J singing with Queen was astrocious in my eyes, but I just loved how confident Britain presented itself and how heavily they relied on their music having something in their bag for every generation that was there. Hell, even the Spice Girls were a joy to witness on the TV! Two thumbs! The Olympics as a whole made me want to buy a plane ticket pretty much every single the day. The closing ceremony convinced me even more to do so. London definitely did it right! :)

Great games, great athletes and a truly great Britain with a great third place in the international ranking! If only my country would be able to pull something like this off. So lightheartetly and tongue in cheek. Just amazing! Things like this make you forget all the shitty things happening around the world. Too bad that some people tried overshadow this event especially after those weird games in China 4 years ago.

miss k bee
08-13-2012, 05:00 PM
Most people are suffering Olympic withdrawal symptoms now, bring the torch back!! lol.

miss k bee
09-10-2012, 11:06 AM
A lot of people must have taken sickies from work today for the victory parade! Don't know about the choice of Pet Shop Boys and the Noisettes for the music outside Buckingham Palace. Princess Anne did a Mobot lol! :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/9532817/Olympic-and-Paralympic-Athletes-Parade-live.html

sukey
09-10-2012, 11:21 AM
I am now officially a British expat. It's weird.

miss k bee
09-10-2012, 11:53 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2200820/Olympic-parade--Boris-praises-Team-GB-inspiring-generation--beating-France-Germany-Australia-Olympic-parade-ONE-MILLION-Londoners-ends-glorious-summer-sport.html

DF118
10-01-2012, 11:27 PM
Jimmy Savile.

Holy shit, BBC.

miss k bee
10-02-2012, 07:41 PM
It would not surprise me if he was a perv, using the charity work as a cover.

staleincense
08-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Would anyone mind answering this (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1uWzRMFLKonJoh34x4sbC_c2zsCf9_0oV8mhDwoPQ9qo/viewform) questionairre for an A-Level Sociology research project? Posting it here because it's quite UK-specific. Thanks.

owinn
08-06-2013, 07:33 PM
This thread needs new management.

slave2thewage
08-06-2013, 07:43 PM
I suggest BBC management from the 70s.

icklekitty
08-07-2013, 06:42 AM
Big black cock?