PDA

View Full Version : The Sega thread (aka the greatest gaming system ever)

Blackbookpress1984
02-14-2012, 04:36 PM
Anyone have any good game recomendations or favorites from Sega Genesis? I have a lot of the popular stuff but I'm always on the lookout for cool "new" games as well.

theruiner
02-14-2012, 04:39 PM
My Genesis is buried in a box somewhere and I've been wanting to play it for months. It's been years since I've played it, but I remember Sonic (the first one) and Pitfall being my favorite games.

virushopper
02-14-2012, 09:02 PM
Gunstar Heroes is a must have on the Genesis!

Delusional
02-14-2012, 09:27 PM
I remember having fun with Vector Man.

theruiner
02-14-2012, 09:46 PM
^^That game is cool as hell. I remember thinking the graphics were amazing at the time. It still looks pretty cool today.

Jinsai
02-14-2012, 10:04 PM
I'm confused about the point here... new Genesis games?

really though, the Sonic's Ultimate MegaDrive/Genesis compilation for PS3/X360 (http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Ultimate-Genesis-Collection-Playstation-3/dp/B001G33V8S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329275261&sr=8-1) has 99% of the great genesis games on it.

Kid Charlemagne
02-14-2012, 11:17 PM
The Streets of Rage series still consumes me till this day.

Conan The Barbarian
02-14-2012, 11:42 PM
I'm confused about the point here... new Genesis games?

really though, the Sonic's Ultimate MegaDrive/Genesis compilation for PS3/X360 (http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Ultimate-Genesis-Collection-Playstation-3/dp/B001G33V8S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329275261&sr=8-1) has 99% of the great genesis games on it.

That compilation is lacking earthworm Jim and the mutant league sports series. Would have made that perfect and would never have to rely on roms.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

xmd 5a
02-15-2012, 05:14 AM
Phantasy Star II and IV are untouchable.

Vertigo
02-15-2012, 06:02 AM
That compilation is lacking earthworm Jim and the mutant league sports series. Would have made that perfect and would never have to rely on roms.

Roms are still the best solution in my opinion, because of the flexibility of saving games, applying hacks, taking screenshots and most importantly the ability to apply Game Genie / PAR cheat codes. The Sonic games in particular have a virtually endless list of ways to enhance the game with codes, and have a vast community of hackers churning out cool stuff on a regular basis.
The one exception I know of is Sonic CD; the 2011 'port' actually remakes the game in a new engine, which sidesteps the various technical issues and loading pauses of the Mega CD original and adds numerous extra features.

On the subject of great Megadrive/Genesis games, Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the most obvious example, which fuses the last two of the original series into one giant game. Aside from having far more features than any of its predecessors, I think it has the best-flowing levels and the most entertaining gameplay.

The big one for me though is Ecco 2: The Tides Of Time. Everyone with the console has played the first Ecco at some point, and 95% of its players were burnt by the monstrous difficulty and samey levels/gameplay. The second game, however, appeared near the end of the console's lifespan, and received almost no publicity. Which is a shame, because in every respect it blows the first game out of the water. It's staggeringly beautiful, the difficulty's more manageable (and automatically scales up/down depending on how the player's doing), has a ton of new gameplay aspects which appear throughout the game, and is tied together by an epic storyline. It also features a level in which you have to knock around a giant testicle until it turns blue and disintegrates. Can't recommend Tides Of Time strongly enough.

kdrcraig
02-15-2012, 07:13 AM
Toe-Jam and Earl was awesome

Conan The Barbarian
02-15-2012, 10:07 AM
Was i the only one here that ever had the sega channel as a kid?

Do you guys even remember that?

The fact that sega never got praised for that still shocks me. That device was epic for its time and one of many reasons i always thought the Genesis was just a magnificent system.

sadpanda
02-15-2012, 10:33 AM
Anyone have any good game recomendations or favorites from Sega Genesis? I have a lot of the popular stuff but I'm always on the lookout for cool "new" games as well.

Ranger X

frankie teardrop
02-15-2012, 11:01 AM
comix zone was a (latter day) genesis favorite. released as the system was dying, so mostly ignored.

Vertigo
02-15-2012, 03:58 PM
comix zone was a (latter day) genesis favorite. released as the system was dying, so mostly ignored.

Awesome game, just a shame it's so short, and that there's so little you can do with PAR codes for it.
That said, it doesn't feel short when you're still learning the ropes and getting violated by Fung's fingernails every time.

nemesiswontdie
02-15-2012, 11:18 PM
I remember playing Decap Attack on my Sega and finding it really hard. I also remember playing Splatterhouse 3. Good times. Another game that was really good but I never played until about 2 years ago was Snatcher on the Sega CD. Like a mixture of Blade Runner and Terminator and was made by the guy who makes MGS.

Kid Charlemagne
02-15-2012, 11:43 PM
Was i the only one here that ever had the sega channel as a kid?

Do you guys even remember that?

The fact that sega never got praised for that still shocks me. That device was epic for its time and one of many reasons i always thought the Genesis was just a magnificent system.I remember the Sega Channel. I had Paragon Cable and it was offered. Of course I could never get my dad to pay for it, which was unfortunate.

I was digging through and found my old Sega. I found The Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers :The Movie Video Game and was playing it. That game was fucking righteous.

Wretchedest
02-16-2012, 12:38 AM
Comix Zone, Echoed once more.

Both Earthworm Jim games... maybe the best of their generation...

Vectorman, totally awesome.

Sonic and Knuckles + Sonic 3 is the best of the series.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
02-16-2012, 01:08 AM
Pitfall was awesome
Battletoads & Double Dragon
Maximum Carnage
Spider-Man and Venom: Separation Anxiety
X-Men
X-Men 2
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Road Rash
Sonic 2

ManBurning
02-16-2012, 01:56 AM
Toe-Jam and Earl was awesome

I came here to write this... but it's already been written, so I will quote this to show my appreciation for this game.

BEST SEGA GAME EVER!

Also TMNT: Hyperstone Heist was pretty good, even though it was a Turtles in Time clone for the most part with a few new bosses.

kdrcraig
02-16-2012, 07:13 AM
I was digging through and found my old Sega. I found The Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers :The Movie Video Game and was playing it. That game was fucking righteous.

Agreed, I remember playing the shit out of that game. The last time I tried to dig my Sega out and play it I couldn't find the cords to plug it into the TV. I'll have to look into that again when I'm at my parents' house this weekend.

Jinsai
02-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Phantasy Star II and IV are untouchable.

Agreed. I remember when I finally beat Phantasy Star II... it's still probably the most challenging RPG I've ever played. I'm sure nowadays you could just download a walkthrough that would hold your hand through the crazier segments, but as a kid, it took me well over a year to finish.

october_midnight
02-16-2012, 02:03 PM
SNES > Genesis

*ducks out*

sadpanda
02-16-2012, 02:32 PM
http://i.imgur.com/HarYk.jpg

ManBurning
02-20-2012, 01:04 PM
SNES > Genesis

*ducks out*

Well, this thread died pretty quickly. Something tells me you didn't need to duck out. As soon as you made your comment, it shut everyone up to the point where we just heard the crickets chrip and then we all slowly just exited the thread and never spoke about it again...

I don't really see another "Retro" gaming thread to discuss all things retro, so I wonder if we should just turn this thread it everythign retro.

For those in the Vancouver, BC area, next month on March 17th they are having a retro gaming expo. Here is the website: http://www.vancouvergamingexpo.com/

Here is what to expect:

MAIN HALL
11am-6pm : Vendors
11am-1am : Free-play Gaming
11:30am-6pm : Tournaments (Goldeneye N64 and Street Fighter 2 SNES)
6pm-8pm : Child's Play Charity Auction
8pm-9pm : Tournament Finals
9pm-2am : PARTY with Nerd Burlesque

I'm looking forward to it, it's the first of this kind of thing for Vancouver.

Blackbookpress1984
02-20-2012, 05:32 PM
i think your being a little harsh there. Its not like this is a main topic here or anything its just a side note. And apparently no one was interested in SNES to make a thread about it, but people were excited about the sega games. Just a little point or two for you to consider.

theruiner
02-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Well, this thread died pretty quickly. Something tells me you didn't need to duck out. As soon as you made your comment, it shut everyone up to the point where we just heard the crickets chrip and then we all slowly just exited the thread and never spoke about it again...I'm hoping that's a joke.

Fixer808
02-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Ranger X
This one.

Now I have to get my Genesis out of storage. Also, the Sonic games were all great fun.

theruiner
02-20-2012, 05:44 PM
I swear to God, as soon as I find my Genesis I'm going on a game buying spree. I don't own Columns, for God's sake. I don't own Columns! WTF.

ManBurning
02-21-2012, 12:50 AM
i think your being a little harsh there. Its not like this is a main topic here or anything its just a side note. And apparently no one was interested in SNES to make a thread about it, but people were excited about the sega games. Just a little point or two for you to consider.

OK, so October_midnight makes the SNES post, then nobody wrote in here for 4 days and I try and crack a joke about it and break the silence, and I get the flack for it, love it!

Dr Channard
09-25-2014, 10:14 PM
So much of my youth devoted to the Sega. Some personal favorites,

Almost anything Sonic The Hedgehog
Ghouls 'N Ghosts
Zero Tolerance
Road Rash
Toe-Jam and Earl
Fatal Labyrinth
Star Control

Ah nostalgia!

spiralout
09-26-2014, 02:09 PM
I was seriously the only kid in my neighborhood with a Sega CD and I loved that damn thing....as well as the Genesis. I recently picked one up with a few games on Ebay just for the nostalgia factor. Man those FMV games are brutal but so awesomely cheesy....Sewer Shark comes to mind. Also Sonic CD is amazing.

Looking to collect more Genesis/Sega CD games down the road.

liquidcalm
09-26-2014, 02:19 PM
The only Sega console I owned was the Dreamcast, several years after it had the cord cut.. Powerstone 2... thats a classic right there. the best character was the British guy who could explode into missiles..