PDA

View Full Version : The Apple Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

allegro
11-23-2011, 10:29 PM
The battery life on my iPhone 4S sucks. News at 11.

NotoriousTIMP
11-24-2011, 05:43 AM
Have you done the 5.0.1 update? It helped mine out quite a bit....I'm now just waiting to for the Dev Team to jailbreak this version so I can get my iPhone back to the way I like it.....

Sent from your girl's iPhone

konstantin
11-24-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm just glad the long song titles in the Music app (formerly iPod) FINALLY scroll! Wish they'd do something about the on-the-go Playlists though, which still can not be saved.

allegro
11-24-2011, 06:20 PM
Have you done the 5.0.1 update?
Yeah, I avoided it because I'd read that some people thought the update made it worse, but then it kept bugging me where it seemed like things were fucking up because I didn't do the update, so I updated and I think it's actually a little worse, now. I went through all the recommended motions per various tech sites to change various defaults. But coming home last night in heavy traffic with 10% left on my battery and my car's lighter is broke and I'm screwed, and I hadn't used the iPhone all day and I started at 100% - I hope this improves because I do really love everything else about this 4S.

konstantin
11-24-2011, 06:23 PM
if you're using your iPhone for work emails, make sure you disable email fetching altogether. i was so excited when my work enabled iPhone support, until about 3 hours later...

allegro
11-24-2011, 09:15 PM
So turn fetch to "manual?". It sucks that fetch drains the battery when it was fine on my old iPhone (push ate the battery).

konstantin
11-24-2011, 11:53 PM
So turn fetch to "manual?". It sucks that fetch drains the battery when it was fine on my old iPhone (push ate the battery).

Settings > Mail, Contacts... > Fetch New Data > Push OFF/Fetch Manually

works for me.

allegro
11-25-2011, 01:17 AM
Yeah, that's what I did, hope it helps, thanks.

Amaro
11-25-2011, 02:05 AM
I love my iPhone 4 on Sprint.

K?

Been lovin' it.

Next up is that damn expensive MBP.

NotoriousTIMP
11-25-2011, 02:22 AM
I love my iPhone 4 on Sprint.

K?

Been lovin' it.

Next up is that damn expensive MBP.

Mind posting screen caps of the speed test app? I'd like to see what you're getting on sprint

Amaro
11-25-2011, 12:18 PM
Mind posting screen caps of the speed test app? I'd like to see what you're getting on sprint

Sure, when I'm in an area with a better signal to perform that test with the fairness (vacationing).

I'm not saying that to tout anything from Sprint's speed... I know it's not king in that department. But I'm very happy with my monthly rate for the reliable unlimited service I get. And the iPhone 4 is exquisite coming from my old Samsung Moment.

Dra508
11-25-2011, 04:40 PM
Settings > Mail, Contacts... > Fetch New Data > Push OFF/Fetch Manually

works for me.I have just an iphone4 with exchange/sync for my work emails and I've always only done fetch.

I did the OS5 update and now have this iMessage. Not sure what the benefit is since everyone seems to have unlimited SMS these days anyway.

allegro
11-26-2011, 12:43 PM
I just double-clicked the home button and found about 900 processes running. Deleted nearly all of them (except email, calendar), now I'll see if battery life improves. I also bought the "Battery Doctor" app which shows me currently-running processes.

konstantin
11-26-2011, 12:55 PM
I have just an iphone4 with exchange/sync for my work emails and I've always only done fetch.

I did the OS5 update and now have this iMessage. Not sure what the benefit is since everyone seems to have unlimited SMS these days anyway.
Well, with iMessage you can just stop paying for a txt plan ($10 at least), see when the other person is typing, and you get delivery confirmations. The only thing it doesn't do is group messaging. I use WhatsApp (cross platform) for that.

heroicraptor
11-30-2011, 11:27 PM
I just double-clicked the home button and found about 900 processes running. Deleted nearly all of them (except email, calendar), now I'll see if battery life improves. I also bought the "Battery Doctor" app which shows me currently-running processes.

What's in the multitasking tray is different from what you see in a process list on a computer. The multitasking tray is more akin to a recent documents accessed list. Only apps that are actually doing something in the background (playing music, uploading files, etc.) will use processing power.

Rémy
12-01-2011, 02:04 AM
I just ordered a new tricked out MPB 13" which will be waiting for me when I arrive back in the UK for holidays. I picked up an iPad 2 from Geneva when I was there a couple of months ago, and I really can't imagine life without this thing now. Especially for people who travel a lot and work in areas where internet access is tricky, having Instapaper on my iPad to save all the articles I want to read later is a god-send. I'd never be able to stay up to date with news and current affairs without it.

botley
12-01-2011, 03:29 PM
What's in the multitasking tray is different from what you see in a process list on a computer. The multitasking tray is more akin to a recent documents accessed list. Only apps that are actually doing something in the background (playing music, uploading files, etc.) will use processing power.
Is this true? That's not what a guy at the Genius Bar told me.

allegro
12-02-2011, 12:27 AM
Is this true? That's not what a guy at the Genius Bar told me.
Yeah, the apple forums told me that they're processes running. So did my new battery app.

I killed the processes, and got my battery life back. Noticeably.

Edit: Oh, and we found a vi app, heh, fun.

Euphemism
12-02-2011, 12:39 AM
Just got shipping confirmation on my 21.5" imac with the 2.8ghz i7 processor and only 4g of RAM...I may upgrade to 8g eventually but should be fast enough for my purposes...for now. I had the 2008 macbook and a 1st gen iPhone (Still works!), so I think once I get my old MB fixed and upgrade to the iPhone 5 next year I should be set up with an Apple trifecta of awesomeness!

Clownboat
12-02-2011, 01:56 PM
I just ordered a new tricked out MPB 13" which will be waiting for me when I arrive back in the UK for holidays. I picked up an iPad 2 from Geneva when I was there a couple of months ago, and I really can't imagine life without this thing now. Especially for people who travel a lot and work in areas where internet access is tricky, having Instapaper on my iPad to save all the articles I want to read later is a god-send. I'd never be able to stay up to date with news and current affairs without it.
How would you rate having an iPad if you already own a smartphone? I want an iPad so badly it hurts, but I haven't taken the plunge yet because I always think I have the perfect system going with an 11.6" Air and an iPhone 4. Would love to hear your (or anyone's!) thoughts.

allegro
12-02-2011, 02:19 PM
You will pry my iPad from my cold, dead hands. I wanna marry it.

Rémy
12-03-2011, 12:16 AM
Well, living where I do, the reasons why the iPad works for me might not necessarily work for someone living in the US or Europe. I also have an iPhone 4, but I use it for totally different things than I do my iPad.

As I said before, I use the iPad primarily for content consumption: I use Flipboard (http://flipboard.com/) to keep up to date with news from the online versions my favourite newspapers and magazines, and also to mine through all the links that come up on my Twitter feed to find any articles worth reading. I also use Reeder (http://reederapp.com/ipad/) to keep up with RSS feeds from personal blogs I follow which don't update as often and are more manageable keeping up with through a traditional RSS reader. I don't read on any of these apps though. As they both require an internet connection when you're reading and switching between articles, I send the relevant articles to Instapaper, which downloads and stores offline copies of them, free of ads and other distractions, to my iPad for reading at a later time.

I also subscribe to digital magazines from Newsstand. This area is still a bit tricky, as some magazines just put up scanned versions of the print magazine which aren't really worth bothering with, but the two main magazines I subscribe to, Vanity Fair and GQ, are formatted with little extras for the iPad. Now, if you don't live in a warzone and have access to a cornershop where you can get whichever magazines you want in print, this probably isn't a big deal, but it's one area for me that the iPad is very useful.

I currently have a 17" MBP with me out here, and despite the bigger screen size, I prefer watching TV shows and films on my iPad. I just transfer my AVI and MKV files over to an app like AV Player HD (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/avplayerhd/id407976815?mt=8) over USB, watch them, and delete them when I'm done. As I'm often flying around the country or undertaking long-ish field trips by road, it's more practical for me to carry around my iPad to watch stuff on during travel than it is to carry around a laptop.

I am also a comics person, and again, since out here I don't have any access to comic stores, the iPad once again acts like a lifeline. There are plenty of apps where you can download the latest issues of comics from, but there are also apps like Comic Zeal (http://www.comiczealapp.com/) which you can use to read scans of classic comics in the traditionally used online comic sharing formats.

The only consumption-related activity that I don't like using the iPad for is reading literature. The Kindle wins on this front every single time.

So yeah, those are the four main things that I use my iPad for which I couldn't use my iPhone for (comics, movies, magazines), and which using a laptop for would really mess with my workflow and reduce my efficiency (news).

dogsipod
12-03-2011, 03:22 AM
Initially I found that after I got the iPhone I really stopped using the iPad, however now that the newness has worn off I use both. iPhone wins on things like twitter and foursquare. iPad I use heavily at work for work related things (Evernote, Dropbox, goodreader, and notepad are primary productivity tools). I am also trying to find a way to get my iPad involved with my web comic.

Rossva
12-03-2011, 03:28 AM
Had an iPad 2 on 5.0.1 for couple days now and digging it for sure;
Still running 4.3 on me iPhone 4 though, waiting for the untethered JB; tethered JB is a pain in the ass

Clownboat
12-04-2011, 04:09 PM
words
Fantastic post, man, and wonderfully thorough as always. Thanks for the reply, it's actually helping me consider a (new) iPad purchase!

bruised
12-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Anyone using the cloud for iTunes? It's pretty sweet, but I hate scrolling through ALL of my music, to get to what's actually on my phone. Other than that it's cool.

Pillfred
12-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Have completely fallen in love with my MBP. That is all.

classicgirl
12-04-2011, 06:17 PM
After all this time, I'm finally going to be able to get an iPhone! My upgrade is on Dec. 13th. I'm just not certain what size to go for. My thought is to go with the 32G but I'd appreciate any insight.

bruised
12-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Always better to get more than enough, you never know. 32 is plenty for most people.

dogsipod
12-04-2011, 06:50 PM
After all this time, I'm finally going to be able to get an iPhone! My upgrade is on Dec. 13th. I'm just not certain what size to go for. My thought is to go with the 32G but I'd appreciate any insight.

I went with the 32gig version and feel it was the right size. I really love the camera on the iPhone 4s. I don't really do a lot of gaming, but I do have the common ones(angry birds, tiny tower, etc). With iTunes match and iCloud I really don't have any music on it either. Personally, i have a 16gig iPad and while I don't have memory usage problems, I wish I would have gotten the 32. It really comes down to what you can afford. My advice for most computer/electronics purchases is get the most you can afford. Nobody ever wishes the laptop was less powerful or there phone had less storage space. :)

The Becoming
12-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Anyone using the cloud for iTunes? It's pretty sweet, but I hate scrolling through ALL of my music, to get to what's actually on my phone. Other than that it's cool.

You can toggle a switch in the Music section in the Settings to only show songs that are downloaded to your device.

Also, I just ordered a Thunderbolt display so that I can hook up my 13" MBA to when I get home. I also ordered the BookArc Air from Twelve South to put the MBA in while it's connected to the display. Has anyone had any experience with the BookArc. Worth the $40 or not?

dogsipod
12-05-2011, 06:03 PM
It's official. New iMac 21.5 inch i7 coming my way this weekend.

Chris_CDN
12-05-2011, 07:57 PM
I just got my first iPhone (well, iAnything really). Any suggestions for awesome apps?

bruised
12-05-2011, 10:06 PM
You can toggle a switch in the Music section in the Settings to only show songs that are downloaded to your device.
Thanks pal.

Space Suicide
12-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Since the death of the old ETS I acquired a nice and shiny 15.5 Inch Macbook Air.

Lurve it.

DVYDRNS
12-07-2011, 09:58 AM
thats amazing that you got a 15" macbook air! Last I checked, those were just rumors! sure its not a 13"? or a Macbook Pro? Either way, congrats on your mac!

Space Suicide
12-13-2011, 09:21 PM
I hit 5 instead of 3 when I typed that. Whoops.

On that note...

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lw4iblqyt61qzmowao1_500.png

heroicraptor
01-02-2012, 11:58 AM
iOS 5 multitasking/background information (http://speirs.org/blog/2012/1/2/misconceptions-about-ios-multitasking.html)

NotoriousTIMP
01-03-2012, 09:54 AM
iOS 5 multitasking/background information (http://speirs.org/blog/2012/1/2/misconceptions-about-ios-multitasking.html)

Now I know this was all explained to me when we first started selling iPhones with iOS5, but I honestly feel I get better battery life with my jailbroken iPhone 4 running disable multitasking + backgrounder. Since installing these two apps a couple of night's ago I've noticed that my iPhone doesn't chew through the battery like crazy. Before I would have to charge my phone before my shift was over and now when by the time I'm heading home it still has more than 50% remaining. I hammer down on my phone almost daily too so it sees a bunch of usage....anyone else running any applications from Cydia that improve battery life?

Tapatapa?

MAD
01-05-2012, 07:05 AM
Dissapointed: http://www.buzzfeed.com/abrams/the-steve-jobs-action-figure-does-not-come-with-an

carpenoctem
01-07-2012, 06:38 PM
I love my MacBook Pro. I never make big investments or purchases, this is probably my first one, like ever. And I have no buyer's remorse, which is why I never make big purchases in the first place. It's so user friendly and just awesome. Really glad I made the decision. So sick of every PC ever just crashing around me all the time.

Kid Charlemagne
01-07-2012, 06:52 PM
I have an interview with Apple tomorrow to be a supervisor at the largest location in San Antonio. I'm extremely excited.

heroicraptor
01-07-2012, 07:02 PM
I have an interview with Apple tomorrow to be a supervisor at the largest location in San Antonio. I'm extremely excited.

That's awesome! You'll do great!

DVYDRNS
01-07-2012, 07:23 PM
get everything you can out of them. get as much training as you can. then quit and work for yourself. best thing i ever did. otherwise they suck your soul.

Kid Charlemagne
01-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Thanks to the both of you. I don't plan on making this something for the rest of my life, but it's something for the time being, I'll be in college for at least the next two years, and I'll be making a bigger chunk of change in order to help me move out of my house. Plus, I'm pretty sure Best Buy (who currently signs my checks) is going to be bought out soon.

Amaro
01-08-2012, 09:29 PM

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/803/firstiphonepics359.png/

Or just https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=827&q=sprint+iphone+speed+test&gbv=2&oq=sprint+iphone+speed+test&aq=f&aqi=g-S2&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=2746l5753l0l5865l24l19l0l3l3l0l261l2624l2.9 .5l16l0

for a good laugh.

lol

I love it though. $50 a month works for me.

heroicraptor
01-10-2012, 11:41 PM
I want an iPhone wallpaper similar to this one (in that it "interacts" with the display). Any suggestions?http://img.tapatalk.com/4842263f-2100-354e.jpg

The Becoming
01-20-2012, 12:02 PM
The jailbreak for A5 devices has been released for anyone interested.

DVYDRNS
01-20-2012, 02:17 PM
yep. awesome sauce. heres a link to "instructions" http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/how-to-jailbreak-iphone-4s-20120120/

richardp
01-29-2012, 02:12 PM
Can someone please tell me how to change the Network Name and Password on my WiFi?
I cannot figure it out for the life of me.

heroicraptor
01-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Can someone please tell me how to change the Network Name and Password on my WiFi?
I cannot figure it out for the life of me.

Change them on your router.

allegro
01-30-2012, 07:19 PM
Change them on your router.
Or, more specifically, as my ex-husband, Satan, used to say:

RTFM

(Read The Fucking Manual) :)

Go find the manual for your router.

allegro
02-06-2012, 09:39 PM
hey wait, CNET just tweeted this:

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57349899-285/how-to-find-your-wi-fi-password/

heroicraptor
02-09-2012, 04:21 PM
TWEETBOT FOR IPAD WOOOOOOOH!
http://t.co/rQ75yAjr

The Becoming
02-16-2012, 10:54 AM
http://9to5mac.com/2012/02/16/apple-announces-mac-os-x-10-8-mountain-lion-developer-preview-with-deeper-ios-integration/#more-138695

I did not see this coming at all.

And download the iMessage for Mac beta here:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/mountain-lion/messages-beta/

DVYDRNS
02-18-2012, 02:56 PM
Just jail broke my apple tv. epic.

liquidcalm
02-19-2012, 04:40 AM
Just jail broke my apple tv. epic.
if you jailbreak.. what else can it do?

DVYDRNS
02-21-2012, 12:30 AM
it just opens the functionality up.i don't have to have iTunes running to stream anything. also you can install plex and xbmc which allows you to stream all kinds of other formats. and then theres the general nerdery of customization...

liquidcalm
02-21-2012, 02:50 AM
it just opens the functionality up.i don't have to have iTunes running to stream anything. also you can install plex and xbmc which allows you to stream all kinds of other formats. and then theres the general nerdery of customization...

Pretty neat. I thought I heard of it being able to stream/play games etc from the ios store.. though I might have dreamt that. I'm kinda looking forward to see if Apple use it as an inroad to the home console market.

Mech
02-22-2012, 12:48 PM
I haven't been really keeping up with everything Mac recently. I've had two generations of mac pros however, with the last being my 2006 model. I am having a weird problem where when my mac turns off or goes to sleep, my monitor's backlight stays on but monitor 2's shuts off. So, instead of replacing the monitor, I am thinking it might just be time for a new computer. I have an iPad 2 so I am leaning more towards switching to an iMac and I don't really like working on laptops, anyway. I mainly do graphic design on it and sometimes video and photo editing as well.

I love having dual monitors, but I think if I went with a 27" imac, that'd be plenty of desktop space for me. The 21.5" is appealing because of the price, but think in the long run, I would be happiest with the 27". I also have all 4 of the hard drive bays full of video/music/photos, etc. I think I would just pull those bays and get an external enclosure for them (I think they make that?)

I also have an apple TV and a PS3 that I do a lot of streaming from. Someday I may want to pick up gaming again (one of the other reasons I'd like to switch, my current computer has a hard time processing even facebook games when there's a lot of graphics on screen, and had a lot of trouble with SC II when I tried the beta a while ago). I also don't think it's an HD video card.

Otherwise, my gf does homework on my computer and I use it occasionally as well for web surfing.

Given this info, does the iMac sound like the best choice? Also, should I wait to buy? How new was the latest iMac revamp? I understand Mountain Lion is coming, and I haven't even gotten around to getting Lion yet. Thanks in advance for any input!

novacide
02-22-2012, 10:25 PM
I have a 27" iMac and I wouldn't have it any other way. I absolutely love it.

allegro
02-22-2012, 11:28 PM
27" iMac, here, too. Love mine. LOVE.

I'm pretty jealous of G's Mac Pro. It's a beast. But it doesn't sound like you need anything that powerful (and expensive) anymore, though.

Mech
02-23-2012, 09:22 AM
Thanks you guys! The iMacs have definitely come a long way since I had my Lime 233mhz iMac back in highschool. Do either of you have the solid state drive? I hear they can make a big difference, but not sure I would want to pay the $450 extra Apple asks for.

Will probably wait until Summer to see if the iMac gets a refresh and go from there. Guess I will keep unplugging the monitor from power after use :D

klyrish
02-23-2012, 02:17 PM
I finally upgraded my MBP to Lion last Friday and, on the whole, I really like it but there are a few changes that just boggle my mind. For instance: why the hell does closing the lid now put it into single-monitor mode instead of putting it to sleep like it used to? I could understand if, like the change to how scrolling on the trackpad works, it was changeable back to the old way, but from everything I've seen, it's not.

It's just annoying that they've changed something so fundamental without an option to change it back. It's annoying to close the lid without thinking only to have everything push over to my second monitor, then have to reopen the lid, re-detect the monitors and, finally, put it to sleep with ctrl + shift + eject.

Other than that, I love the iCloud integration, the iOS features and all the other little things changed to make it better (like being able to resize a window from ANYWHERE on the border, not just the lower-right corner).

carpenoctem
02-23-2012, 03:09 PM
I love my MacBook Pro 13" and cannot imagine how I have survived so long without a decent piece of hardware to keep my music all in one place. I've only had it for two months but it's like a new baby: after a while it feels like it's always been there.

DVYDRNS
02-26-2012, 08:21 PM
apple tv jailbreak update. Free Cable and Hulu. Nuff said.. awesome

redshoewearer
02-26-2012, 08:33 PM
I still have a 3Gs iphone and never updated my OS after I got it - just never bothered! Today I updated it to OS 5 and it all worked fine. Very thrilled. I needed to do it so I could install Square so I can swipe credit cards on my iphone at my business. It is really cool. I saw that I'll need to upgrade to Lion on my Mac though if I want to use icloud, so that will be next weekend's project. I want this macbook to last a little longer; my next purchase will probably be an air.

RocketScience
03-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Got the iphone 4s yesterday. Where the fuck has this thing been all my life?! I love it.

october_midnight
03-07-2012, 12:29 PM
The new iPad has retina display and 3.1 million pixels. Looks pretty slick. (http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/07/the-new-ipad-is-official/)

The Becoming
03-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Has anyone else noticed that with the iOS 5.1 update they added a 4G status symbol for the 4S? Caving to AT&T's false data monikers are we Apple?

Edit: Pic
http://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4c32a-74d4-060c.jpg

Harry Seaward
03-09-2012, 03:34 PM
Jokes on you for getting an iPhone and AT&T.

DVYDRNS
03-10-2012, 08:58 AM
apple pushes out whatever AT&T advertises. if att is calling it 4g. apple isn't going to argue about it.

att are the tools here.

The Becoming
03-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Oh shit.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/03/18/apple-decides-what-it-is-going-to-do-with-its-cash-announcing-tomorrow-via-6am9am-conference-call/#more-153764

Amaro
05-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Is there an iPhone camera app that is like Camera+ but has the video camera toggle integrated as well? I like Camera+, but I want a one-stop app like the original Camera offers.

Edit: I just read that Genius Camera has what I seek. Damn my impulsive app shopping thumb.

Edit: Of course Genius Camera has more stupid qualities. If only I could design apps...

Edit: Procamera wins. Video camera. With zoom, even. Practical access to view the pics/videos you just shot, very important. One qualm I can detect is its inability to delete from the Camera Roll view. Kinda strange... Also, due to supposed technical reasons, you have to have Location Services turned on to view the Camera Roll through the app.

Dra508
05-15-2012, 07:17 AM
I'm breaking down and getting a tablet. Everyone who knows me says I should get a iPad. I'm just not sure I should get one with mobile data or just be happy running around looking for wifi.

allegro
05-15-2012, 07:30 AM
Depends on how much money you have or want to spend. I have the wi-fi only version (1st gen) and sometimes I really do wish I had 3G on it.

Dra508
05-15-2012, 08:21 AM
When do you wish? When you sitting at a park bench with no free wifi? And I'm pretty much already committed to buying an iPad rather than a Nook or Kindle. But, I just can't get past the added month cost to ATT or VZW.

I'm seriously considering dropping my cable tv to justify adding monthly expense elsewhere. I'm so frugal right now, but I really want to get one.

Also, I saw a comment above about ATT putting 4G on their phones and iPads. That'll end soon in some places.

http://www.mobileburn.com/19572/news/apple-capitulates-drops-4g-moniker-from-new-ipad-in-a-number-of-countries

Minpin
05-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Do you have a smart phone? I'm too technically un-savvy to really know what I'm talking about, but if you bought just a wifi iPad maybe you could tether the two and use your phones 3G if the need arose...

I bought a 3G iPad2, thought it may come in handy, only ever used wifi...

Wish the iPad could see through ETS' spoilers short of quoting them /small gripe

Dra508
05-15-2012, 11:55 AM
Hmmm, interesting. I do have a iPhone, but it doesn't do tethering right?

That's sort of what I'm wondering, if I had service, would I actually use it or just stick with the wifi.

Truth be told, I have a friend who will drive up next to a McDonald's to use their wifi just to play a turn of Words With Friends.

allegro
05-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Yes, the 4S does do tethering, but it's an extra monthly fee. But that fee is smaller than the monthly fee for the 3G (I'm still highly dubious that it's doing 4G) on the new iPad. Your own contract and grandfathered clauses vary.

For instances? At my mom's, where she has no wi-fi. At my office, with no wi-fi. On the train, with no wi-fi. If you're primarily using the iPad as a Kindle, then it probably doesn't matter, but if you need the web for whatever reason at all (email, research, calendar updates), you're screwed without wi-fi. In those cases, I just use my iPhone as a teeny iPad.

I have the Kindle wifi and THAT works out for me just fine; I've never really run into a situation where I HAD TO DOWNLOAD THAT BOOK RIGHT NOW! (and if I did, I'd go to Starbucks or something)

Minpin
05-15-2012, 12:37 PM
A friend got a little wifi generator thingy when he bought his iPhone, which was unattached to his phone plan. Essentially just like a prepaid USB Internet thing for a laptop I guess... Probably more expensive to use regularly.

Guess it totally depends on how you'll use it, but I'd be more inclined to just go wifi if I was buying again... I haven't even bought the little sim card for mine, and won't, so essentially spent an extra $100 for nothing.

EDIT: looks like google calls this gadget a MiFi, probably a bit easier to market than little-wifi-generator-thing :rolleyes:

Dra508
05-15-2012, 04:57 PM
I'm reading your post thinking "it's a mifi"

yes, that's what you get when you get a ipad with Verizon service. ATT's is integrated.

I think I'll just wifi. allegro nailed it with the "use your iphone" which is exactly what I do. Mine is only a 4 BUT - I don't pay for it - company benefit. Bwahhaha - unlimited data.

The next question is buy old used one or suck it up and get a new one with all its bells and whistles?

dogsipod
05-16-2012, 11:09 AM
I'm reading your post thinking "it's a mifi"

yes, that's what you get when you get a ipad with Verizon service. ATT's is integrated.

I think I'll just wifi. allegro nailed it with the "use your iphone" which is exactly what I do. Mine is only a 4 BUT - I don't pay for it - company benefit. Bwahhaha - unlimited data.

The next question is buy old used one or suck it up and get a new one with all its bells and whistles?

I have a iPad 2 and don't feel any need to upgrade to the new one. Perhaps the one that comes out next year. The improved camera is a non issue for me since I never have taken a photo with my iPad and probably never will. The retina screen would be nice, but I can live fine with what I already have. I use a kindle for reading and the iPad for web and work stuff, Evernote is my favorite app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dra508
05-16-2012, 02:01 PM
^^ Curious, do you use the Kindle for reading just because you already had it when you got the iPad or some other reason? I don't have a reader and am wondering if I would actually use the iPad that way.

WSJ says that the next iPhone will have a larger screen 4", up from 3.5".

danebraddy
05-16-2012, 07:38 PM

I'd be disappointed if that's the case, after playing around with other phones (especially the Samsung models), 4" will still make is smaller that the other 'premium' smartphones. After using a 4.5" - 5" phone for little while, the iPhone screen is annoyingly small, and an extra half inch won't fix that.

There was a lot of talk that if they introduced a screen larger than that the screen resolution would need to change and developers would get pissy, and that's a weak excuse.

It would be 'interesting' if Apple do swap out the 30-pin port for a new type of port.
That change screws all the accessory companies who as of October will have a bunch of stock nobody wants and they'll have to start again.

dogsipod
05-16-2012, 08:29 PM
^^ Curious, do you use the Kindle for reading just because you already had it when you got the iPad or some other reason? I don't have a reader and am wondering if I would actually use the iPad that way.

I use my kindle for reading because it is so much easier in my eyes. I find reading for a long period of time on a backlight device to be straining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amaro
05-22-2012, 12:08 PM
I think only a half inch bigger screen is plenty fine. If you go too big...it's just not going to be as charming ie comfortable to hold up to your head or have in your pocket.

Broadbent
05-22-2012, 05:02 PM
I played with the new iPad today...... I still can't justify the cash for one, especially with my new iPhone 4S. I mean shit I'd be downgrading the camera... still doesn't make much sense.

allegro
05-22-2012, 05:22 PM
^^ Curious, do you use the Kindle for reading just because you already had it when you got the iPad or some other reason? I
You can't see shit on an iPad outdoors in the sun. The glare is ridiculous. Also, I read in bed at night and the backlit iPad keeps me awake longer (computer lighting fools your body into thinking it's still daytime or something which I've found to be really true, personally). If I'm not reading a physical book, I read Kindle at night before sleep, never iPad.

I have an original iPad and have zero interest in upgrading right now. I don't need facetime or a camera on my iPad and for what I use it for, the processor is fast enough.

Mech
07-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Question:

We recently got some new iMacs at work in our graphics department, but our company runs on a PC Server. We have LOADS of files on the network, which is shared by at least 50-60 other people. I feel anytime we have to access the server, it feels like I am on an ancient piece of hardware. I think I have a resolution which would involve getting an external hard drive or some small server to run between the 5 of us here in graphics, that would only store our customer files. I wonder though, if we do have some sort of file server that would allow only the 5 of us access, do you think that would greatly improve our performance? Also, we would need to still have access to the PC server for email/internet/etc, and is that still possible? Thanks!

johnbron
09-12-2012, 01:21 AM
I'm pretty fucking excited about tomorrow's iPhone 5 announcement. This will be the first time I pre-order an iPhone. I've been running the iOS 6 betas for a few months now on my iPhone 4 and I love it. Looking forward to a faster phone and hopefully a big jump forward with the camera/video. I anticipate being quite happy.

Amaro
09-12-2012, 07:40 AM
Oh today's the day?! Coool... Finally.

DF118
09-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Great, now I'll probably have to re-build all my published iPhone apps to accommodate the larger screen size. Thanks a fucking bunch Zombie Steve.

october_midnight
09-12-2012, 02:12 PM
I had read that there shouldn't be many scaling issues, but it wouldn't surprise me. Also, #firstworldproblems lol.

Amaro
09-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Great updates all around. KEWL.

Mech
09-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Maybe someone has been in the same boat and can help me.

I've been with AT&T for a while and still on a family plan with my parents. My fiance however now works for a company that gets a discount on Verizon so I am planning on switching. I've gotten the new iPhone every other year, so I still have the 4. I want to get the 5 and my contract would be up with AT&T by now anyway. So, if I want to preorder the iPhone 5 with Verizon, can I do that on Friday and add on to my fiance's account and still keep my iPhone 4 activated on AT&T until next Friday (if I get it that soon)? Or what's the best way to do this? I would like to keep my ph# the same.

DVYDRNS
09-12-2012, 03:54 PM
this is definitely the phone Jesus would buy.

allegro
09-12-2012, 04:11 PM
Maybe someone has been in the same boat and can help me.

I've been with AT&T for a while and still on a family plan with my parents. My fiance however now works for a company that gets a discount on Verizon so I am planning on switching. I've gotten the new iPhone every other year, so I still have the 4. I want to get the 5 and my contract would be up with AT&T by now anyway. So, if I want to preorder the iPhone 5 with Verizon, can I do that on Friday and add on to my fiance's account and still keep my iPhone 4 activated on AT&T until next Friday (if I get it that soon)? Or what's the best way to do this? I would like to keep my ph# the same.

If you're on family plan with parents, the contract is probably under the name of one of your parents, not you.

I've known people who've switched from AT&T to Verizon and kept the same number so you SHOULD be able to do that but you can check with Verizon or Apple. You may need authorization from AT&T family plan contract owner (one of your parental units). Check with AT&T. This is all more about keeping your number and switching than it is about ordering the phone.

Mech
09-13-2012, 08:45 AM
Gotcha. Yes, contract has been under my Dad's name for family plan for probably 10 years. I am sure it will be no biggie if I drop but will definitely check with AT&T to see what I need to do. Thanks for your input!

scotty79
09-14-2012, 07:45 AM
has any non devs installed iOS 6 gm yet? might give this a bash later

Mech
09-14-2012, 08:44 AM
Hoping to make it in to Verizon after work today to preorder. Not sure i will get in soon enough to make for next Friday's launch, but hopefully soon after! I'd like to think that they have this problem of supply and demand taken care of though.

Also, if anyone is curious about switching, here's what I found out from Verizon. Basically, when I preorder the phone being a potential new customer, I will be buying the phone at whatever price would be for new customers ($199, etc). They give it a temporary number. Then, when the phone arrives I can go in to the store to activate it, at which time I can port my number over from AT&T and voila, sounds easy as that! Let's hope anyway.

The Becoming
09-14-2012, 02:52 PM
has any non devs installed iOS 6 gm yet? might give this a bash later

I have. It's running flawlessly. GMs are usually the exact same version that will be released to the public so I'd say go for it.

scotty79
09-15-2012, 12:31 AM
I did go for it and done my gf's iPhone 4, I'm on the 4s, runs perfectly, no problems updating, didn't have to do a full restore as I've read some people have had to

danebraddy
09-15-2012, 02:35 AM
Pre-Ordered a 64gb Black iPhone 5 last night from a local provider. Should be in my hands by the 24th. Super pumped.

The Becoming
09-16-2012, 02:17 PM
It's that time of year again where people religiously check tracking numbers. I'm guilty of it. Bring on Friday.

johnbron
09-16-2012, 02:21 PM
It's that time of year again where people religiously check tracking numbers. I'm guilty of it. Bring on Friday.

Haha! Same here. It's pathetic. ;)

bruised
09-17-2012, 11:19 PM
Pre-Ordered a 64gb Black iPhone 5 last night from a local provider. Should be in my hands by the 24th. Super pumped.
Heh, I got the same. Really excited!

johnbron
09-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Holy fucking christ I love this phone. AT&T's LTE speed here in Portland is kind of blowing my mind. I'm still so used to 3G speeds. Absolutely beautiful phone. SO LIGHT AND PRETTY!

Ax Mr. L
09-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Holy fucking christ I love this phone. AT&T's LTE speed here in Portland is kind of blowing my mind. I'm still so used to 3G speeds. Absolutely beautiful phone. SO LIGHT AND PRETTY!

How's the finish on the edges, I've read that they get easily scuffed, but i'm rather skeptic towards it. I'll try to get the 64/32Gb black one on next friday when the phone is released here in Finland. Can't wait!

johnbron
09-21-2012, 03:37 PM
How's the finish on the edges, I've read that they get easily scuffed, but i'm rather skeptic towards it. I'll try to get the 64/32Gb black one on next friday when the phone is released here in Finland. Can't wait!
It looks perfect in person. Not sure about scuffing but I'll post if I find it to scuff or scratch easily. I don't expect it to.

The Becoming
09-21-2012, 04:16 PM
It looks perfect in person. Not sure about scuffing but I'll post if I find it to scuff or scratch easily. I don't expect it to.

My black model and a very tiny scuff on the chamfered edge next to the aluminum back. It's only visible if you're really looking for it. The phone is mostly alluminum so I'm expecting it to scuff and nick. Hopefully that scuffing looks good with age like an old Leica camera. I'm extremely happy with this phone. Battery life seems great. It's remarkably faster than the 4S. And goddamn that extra half an inch of screen really makes it look gorgeous.

Space Suicide
09-21-2012, 05:26 PM
Traded my 3rd gen 32 GB iPod Touch two weeks ago since the mandatory upgrade to the 5.1.1. update made my wi-fi options in the options settings grey out. Whatever.

johnbron
09-21-2012, 06:36 PM
My black model and a very tiny scuff on the chamfered edge next to the aluminum back. It's only visible if you're really looking for it. The phone is mostly alluminum so I'm expecting it to scuff and nick. Hopefully that scuffing looks good with age like an old Leica camera. I'm extremely happy with this phone. Battery life seems great. It's remarkably faster than the 4S. And goddamn that extra half an inch of screen really makes it look gorgeous.
The scuffing concern does make sense. Hoping for the best. I am absolutely in love with this device. Light years faster than my 4 (processor wise) and the LTE is so nice. Everyone at work is suddenly now looking at their contracts to see when they can upgrade. ;)

DVYDRNS
09-21-2012, 06:53 PM
its a nice phone. nobody is talking about how apple just kicked microsoft and sonys ass with the screen sharing to the apple tv. play need for speed on this thing and throw it on the apple tv. no lag. and total perfection. this is gonna change a lot.

it wasnt quite so smooth before. but now its just perfect.

allegro
09-21-2012, 10:27 PM
I really LOVE my Apple TV.

We can't get the upgrade rate on the new iPhone 5, so we have to wait. (We have the 4S.)

We're waiting for the mini iPad.

bruised
09-21-2012, 11:38 PM
I love this phone! My 4s feels like a brick now.

johnbron
09-22-2012, 12:06 AM
I love this phone! My 4s feels like a brick now.
This all amuses me because one day ago, I felt pretty good about my iPhone 4. Now it feels like a clunky worthless brick. Amazing how this happens in a matter of a few hours. The new phone is perfect. Just restored my 4 and gave it to my oldest daughter. She's a very happy kid right now and her younger sister is quite jealous. :D

Mech
09-27-2012, 09:35 AM
Finally received my phone yesterday and got it activated. Switched from AT&T to Verizon, too, as it's more prominent in my area. This thing is AWESOME. I had the 4 previously and the upgrade to the 5 and the switch to Verizon LTE all at once just blows my mind. I got a speed test app and was getting 11.5 mbps download/ 7.79 mbps upload. That's faster than a lot of people's internet! I have fibre optic at home so I was getting 40 mpbs download but for comparison, Verizon's LTE service is 3x faster than my home internet for upload speed.

I originally planned to go naked, but due to "scuffgate" I decided to pick up a case at best buy. Got a griffin with a clear back and white trim. I have a black phone so the white trim really looks nice and makes it pop. After the case wears out and the phone isn't so new to me anymore, I'll probably go naked with it. The phone is still super light, even cased, and I just love the overall feel and look to it.

Also, I sold my original 5 gb iPod 1st generation a couple weeks ago so the phone was paid for in it's entirety by that alone (Who'd have thought, it was just sitting in a drawer!) Hope to get my 4 sold on eBay soon.

botley
09-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Speaking as a 4S user, the update to iOS6 really feels like a brand new phone. Amazing improvement in load times and functionality (except for the quite-rightly excoriated Maps cluster-fuck — sure it's kind of fun to see tall buildings in 3D... that's why I LIVE IN A FUCKING CITY... I SEE THEM IN REAL LIFE. OH, AND I NEEDED THOSE PUBLIC TRANSIT DIRECTIONS TOO, YOU FUCKS. DON'T SEND ME TO SOME CLUNKY THIRD-PARTY APP FOR THEM).

Rdm
09-27-2012, 02:29 PM
I got my new iPhone in the mail. It really is a huge step up from my 4s. The screen is much more clear and the Internet 4LTE is pretty quick . I made 50 dollars from the upgrade so I'm pretty excited .

NotoriousTIMP
09-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Speaking as a 4S user, the update to iOS6 really feels like a brand new phone. Amazing improvement in load times and functionality (except for the quite-rightly excoriated Maps cluster-fuck — sure it's kind of fun to see tall buildings in 3D... that's why I LIVE IN A FUCKING CITY... I SEE THEM IN REAL LIFE. OH, AND I NEEDED THOSE PUBLIC TRANSIT DIRECTIONS TOO, YOU FUCKS. DON'T SEND ME TO SOME CLUNKY THIRD-PARTY APP FOR THEM).

Am I the only one who imagined somones voice slowly getting louder to the point of yelling the further I read this post? Lol

Rdm
09-28-2012, 12:58 AM
How many of you guys jailbreak your phones, and if so do you guys think it messes with the iPhone's performance?i have done it once and I felt like it seemed a little glitchy

botley
09-28-2012, 08:20 AM
Am I the only one who imagined somones voice slowly getting louder to the point of yelling the further I read this post? Lol
Hehe, that is EXACTLY WHAT IT'S LIKE USING THE NEW MAPS.

In related news: Apple's CEO issues a public apology for putting out shitty, unfinished software (http://www.apple.com/letter-from-tim-cook-on-maps/).

heroicraptor
09-28-2012, 02:21 PM
How many of you guys jailbreak your phones, and if so do you guys think it messes with the iPhone's performance?i have done it once and I felt like it seemed a little glitchy

I jailbroke my 4 on day one, and haven't had any problems with it.

NotoriousTIMP
09-28-2012, 10:16 PM
^^^^
Me too....jailbreaking the iPhone is a must if you ask me. I enjoy the mods like shrink, 5icon dock, and biteSMS is 1000x better than the stock text app

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/29/ga9apuqa.jpg

heroicraptor
09-29-2012, 09:22 AM
It's all about LockInfo and Zephyr (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZEypDIqekQ) for me.

Amaro
09-29-2012, 01:44 PM
Hmmm...I may wanna JB my 5, when I get my 5... Is it complicated?

NotoriousTIMP
09-29-2012, 05:04 PM
Hmmm...I may wanna JB my 5, when I get my 5... Is it complicated?

No, not now. Back in the day it was crazy what you had to do but now it's done in less than 30seconds :)

iOS6 isn't completely JB'd yet but give it time, it'll happen :)

DVYDRNS
09-30-2012, 02:39 PM
just sold my 4s yesterday. picked it up out of the box for the first time since i got the 5. wow was it heavy.

NotoriousTIMP
10-01-2012, 12:09 AM
just sold my 4s yesterday. picked it up out of the box for the first time since i got the 5. wow was it heavy.

How much did you get for your 4s?

Mech
10-02-2012, 10:36 AM
I got $225 for my 4. I think the 4s was going for $300 or so on eBay when I checked.

Having a weird problem with my 5. Once every other day or so, the phone reboots itself. No other problems besides that!

frankie teardrop
10-02-2012, 01:02 PM
bring it back. my 4 did this for a bit, got to be unbearable. they replaced it for free.

edit: that is, if you have a store near you... definitely worth contacting apple about.

frankie teardrop
10-02-2012, 01:14 PM
http://imgace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/luke-youve-switched-off-your-targeting-computer-is-something-wrong-yeah-it-uses-apple-maps.jpg

Mech
10-02-2012, 03:17 PM
bring it back. my 4 did this for a bit, got to be unbearable. they replaced it for free.

edit: that is, if you have a store near you... definitely worth contacting apple about.

No Apple store near me unfortunately, only Verizon.

frankie teardrop
10-02-2012, 03:43 PM
same applies though. bring it back to where you got it and/or contact apple. my iphone 4 only did that here or there but then started turning off regularly in my pocket. no questions asked, they replaced it with a new one that has been fine ever since.

waiting till may for a more reasonable upgrade/contract renewal on the 5 myself.

Mech
10-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Alright cool, I'll probably take it back to Verizon then and see what they say!

DVYDRNS
10-02-2012, 04:34 PM
400. it was a 32Gb in near perfect condition with the box and all accessories.

NotoriousTIMP
10-02-2012, 04:35 PM
400. it was a 32Gb in near perfect condition with the box and all accessories.

Damn I gotta hurry up and sell mine :)

DVYDRNS
10-02-2012, 07:07 PM
whats funny is, i bought it off craigslist last year the week it came out from a dude who preferred his blackberry for only 300 bucks... he wasnt very bright...

NotoriousTIMP
10-13-2012, 08:17 PM
So I went to see the new Apple store at the Bellevue Square mall in Bellevue, WA (which is a 2nd home city for Microsoft) and this place is HUGE. It seriously is 3x the size of the original location and it now when you walk out the front, it looks down on the Microsoft store. Talk about trying to out shine your competition lol....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/F43A4E99-9172-4341-8CCC-745CB62DAFCE-36600-000011C1B573269F.jpg

We picked up an AppleTV finally and I look forward to messing around with it tonight :)

hobochic
10-17-2012, 12:10 PM
"AppleInsider briefly mentions that Apple appears set to launch updated iMacs on October 24, the day after the company's rumored media event."

Hopefully it's true this time around. My student discount ends October 30th!

From Macrumors:

As part of its report (http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/10/16/ipad-mini-skus-reveal-apple-will-release-12-models-in-two-colors) detailing part numbers for the "iPad mini" (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/16/part-numbers-reveal-apples-plan-for-24-different-ipad-mini-models/), AppleInsider briefly mentions that Apple appears set to launch updated iMacs on October 24, the day after the company's rumored media event.The person also added that Apple is rumored to begin selling new iMac desktops on Oct. 24, one day after the anticipated Oct. 23 event.
http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/09/imacs_2011_mountain_lion-500x334.jpg
While there have been rumblings of an iMac update for some time, and earlier this week we shared a report (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/14/2012-imac-said-to-carry-thinner-design-alleged-internals-photo-surfaces/) claiming that the new models will be thinner than current ones, today's report appears to be the first to specifically claim that they will launch next week.

For those keeping track, Apple's plans for next week now appear to include the iPad mini, updated iMacs, a 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/15/more-claims-of-13-inch-retina-macbook-pro-coming-at-next-weeks-media-event/), and updated Mac mini models (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/15/apple-to-launch-new-mac-mini-at-next-weeks-media-event/).

Update 8:49 AM: 9to5Mac has now posted the four new iMac model numbers (http://9to5mac.com/2012/10/16/new-imacs-hitting-retail-ship-dates-may-be-weeks-away-for-some/), which presumably correspond to two different standard configurations each of the 21.5-inch and 27-inch models, although the report claims that at least some configurations may not ship until several weeks after their introduction. This would presumably refer to the 27-inch models, which have reportedly been suffering from lower yields on the display-glass lamination process and have been rumored to be seeing a later launch than their smaller counterparts.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/16/imac-reportedly-set-to-receive-updates-next-week/

Amaro
10-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Guesses on a 13" MacBook Pro Retina price?

theimage13
10-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Guesses on a 13" MacBook Pro Retina price?

Somewhere between "too much" and "waaaaay too much".

Typed from my dented, cracked, overheated, and noisy as hell first gen Macbook Pro. So take that pricing information with a grain of salt.

cashpiles (closed)
10-20-2012, 08:52 AM
I can't believe how shitty the quality of the iPhone 5's case is. I know all the hardware has been improved, but the iPhone 5 itself looks and feels cheap compared to the iPhone 4S. I wish they just would have kept the design of the iPhone 4S and enlarged the dimensions to the ones of iPhone 5.

NotoriousTIMP
10-21-2012, 03:06 AM
The girlfriend and I went big today....

New MacBook Air for her....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/FFAE3A42-0D7A-42CC-B9DF-C233772F13E8-585-0000002B0726BFDE.jpg

64GB iPhone 5 (full retail) for me!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v412/cingularrox/C140E5F6-F02A-40D3-81E1-9538BCEA8631-585-00000035B268BDEE.jpg

DVYDRNS
10-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Better put a case on that butch. Mines scratched to hell after 2 weeks. And I NEVER had a case on my 4s.

NotoriousTIMP
10-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Better put a case on that butch. Mines scratched to hell after 2 weeks. And I NEVER had a case on my 4s.

I'm super protective over my phones :) I bought what I feel has been one of the best case styles for the iPhone 4/4s/5. It's the double cover from Icipio. Now I'm just waiting on my body armor to come in :)

DVYDRNS
10-21-2012, 04:43 PM
I hate cases. But I've been waiting for a battery case. With my business the phone is dead by noon. But there are no cases available yet. So I've just been waiting. And in the meantime the phone now looks like total shit. So I'm going to break it and use my contacts at the Genius Bar to swap it. As soon as one is available.

Shady but I don't care. I spent 500 bucks on this thing.

NotoriousTIMP
10-21-2012, 09:59 PM
I hate cases. But I've been waiting for a battery case. With my business the phone is dead by noon. But there are no cases available yet. So I've just been waiting. And in the meantime the phone now looks like total shit. So I'm going to break it and use my contacts at the Genius Bar to swap it. As soon as one is available.

Shady but I don't care. I spent 500 bucks on this thing.

Did you get AppleCare? They will swap that shit out no matter what.

DVYDRNS
10-21-2012, 10:38 PM
Apple care is a waste of money to me. I used to work at the store. I know everybody there. They do what I need to have done.

For the average person tho... I suggest Apple Care...

Mech
10-22-2012, 02:41 PM
I read about all of the scuffing and got a decent one that's done a great job protecting so far. Went with one from Best Buy, Griffin reveal I think. Got a black phone so I got the white bumper. Looked pretty sick for the first few days, but now being in my pants, the white has gotten all blue and dirty. Hope someone comes out with a sweet case soon that doesn't break the bank.

richardp
10-30-2012, 03:09 PM
So my Gmail accounts have decided to randomly quit working on my iMac and my iPhone out of the blue, and I cannot for the life of me figure it out. I can send email through the webbrowser but cannot access the accounts through the Mail program or my phone. I was able to set up the gmail account on someone else's phone and access my mail but yet, I am unable to on my own phone.

Every time I try to access I get this message:

The Google IMAP server “imap.gmail.com” is not responding. Try checking the network connection, and that the server name is correct. Otherwise, the server might be temporarily unavailable. If you continue, you might not be able to receive messages.

Does anyone know what the hell that means and how I can fix that?

NotoriousTIMP
10-30-2012, 04:19 PM
I read about all of the scuffing and got a decent one that's done a great job protecting so far. Went with one from Best Buy, Griffin reveal I think. Got a black phone so I got the white bumper. Looked pretty sick for the first few days, but now being in my pants, the white has gotten all blue and dirty. Hope someone comes out with a sweet case soon that doesn't break the bank.

Incipio Double Cover.....

allegro
11-02-2012, 09:35 AM
BEHOLD my IPAD MINI

NotoriousTIMP
11-02-2012, 09:57 AM
^^^^
Nice!!

allegro
11-04-2012, 10:12 AM
I *love* this iPad Mini. The big iPad now seems ridiculously huge; I'm giving that one to my Mom (her cat LOVES it).

NotoriousTIMP
11-04-2012, 11:24 AM
I *love* this iPad Mini. The big iPad now seems ridiculously huge; I'm giving that one to my Mom (her cat LOVES it).

Don't tell me this! I haven't even had my iPad 3 for a year and I know if I play with a mini I most likely will want it

DVYDRNS
11-04-2012, 11:46 AM
I bought the first gen 64 gig 3g iPad. I never ever use it because I have my loaded MacBook Pro with me everywhere I go for work.

I pretty much just turned it over to my wife. She uses it a lot.

I might actually get this mini as a reader.

NotoriousTIMP
11-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Im posting from an ipad mini! I so want one of these :)

*EDIT*

So yeah, I was at the apple store tonight and played around with the mini for a bit. I loved it! The size is perfect and the device itself was very responsive. I did however find that the screen is a bit 'meh' and looked grainy.The keyboard worked well which was nice, I was worried that the smaller screen would make it difficult to type since I have bigger hands.

If I didn't have the iPad 3 already I would get this little guy :)

allegro
11-04-2012, 11:08 PM
I don't see grainy at all.

I just see AWESOME. :p

I think eventually they'll drop the big iPad and just sell these minis.

DVYDRNS
11-05-2012, 10:09 AM
I don't see them dropping the full size at all.

the duder
11-05-2012, 10:14 AM
Just got a 32 GB iPad 3 for my birthday and completely love it, and feel I've barely scratched the surface on how I'll use it. Very solid pick-up, Mom and Dad!

allegro
11-05-2012, 10:22 AM
I don't see them dropping the full size at all.

When I look at my old iPods I think, ugh, this thing is HUGE. Seems like everything is getting smaller. I have the first gen iPad and that thing seems like it weighs 5 pounds more than the 4th gen ipads.

Anyway, the mini isn't THAT much smaller than the standard iPad, but it's small enough and light enough to fit into one of my smaller purses, turning into a much more portable computer. BUT, as you kinda pointed out, it's still not really a computer. I still end up at my desktop or laptop for serious computer work.

NotoriousTIMP
11-05-2012, 01:54 PM
My girlfriend hated the mini. She said it felt cheap and lacked the solid feeling that Apple products are known for. I agreed that it doesn't feel like its made from the best material out there, but it still felt like it could hold up to some abuse

allegro
11-05-2012, 03:33 PM
The feel of the "material" composing this iPad mini is absolutely no different than any of my 12 other Apple products. The type and weight of the steel and glass used in this mini is obviously identical to that of my first gen iPad. The iPad, itself, is just thinner (just like the difference between the 1st gen and 3rd gen iPad).

Amaro
11-07-2012, 11:03 PM
I want a mini...

But getting my first MacBook Pro soon should keep me plenty content. Looooong time wanting.

Not sure if I should get the 13" i5 or 13" i7...either with the intention of some basic modding later on, but I wouldn't be able to mod the base model 13" to i7. Both are dual-core, but is that processor spec difference worth the 300 price climb? May as well...? Hmm... Student loan.

Amaro
11-24-2012, 08:45 AM
I went ahead and sided with a new 2012 13' i7 MBP! $150.00 off the Apple retail price. (That's $50.00 more off from education pricing.) No tax.

<<<<<<< Amazon Priiiiiiime.

NotoriousTIMP
11-24-2012, 06:04 PM
I went ahead and sided with a new 2012 13' i7 MBP! $150.00 off the Apple retail price. (That's $50.00 more off from education pricing.) No tax.

<<<<<<< Amazon Priiiiiiime.

Congrats! I have the 15" and I wish I had the 13"

DVYDRNS
11-24-2012, 08:03 PM
I had a 13. Sold it and bought a 15 with hi res anti glare . It's my main portable.

13 is just too damn small to get any serious work done. Buy if its your first mac, you're gonna love it.

I've got macs coming out of my ears in this house. And I pretty much use the Mbp 90% of the time.

Amaro
11-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Trust me, bros...I'm fucking hard for this thing coming my way.

Amaro
11-27-2012, 08:44 PM
I'm on it.

"FINALLY."

:rolleyes:

I accidentally deleted the iTunes icon from the dock by dragging it on the desktop. How do I make the icon stay in the dock for good now?

Edit: I got it. I think I remember how I did it, too...

Also, how do I make sure I have Mountain Lion or how do I go about getting it? I believe I should be offered it free of charge with this purchase.

ItsJustDave
11-27-2012, 09:33 PM
I'm on it.

"FINALLY."

:rolleyes:

I accidentally deleted the iTunes icon from the dock by dragging it on the desktop. How do I make the icon stay in the dock for good now?

Edit: I got it. I think I remember how I did it, too...

Also, how do I make sure I have Mountain Lion or how do I go about getting it? I believe I should be offered it free of charge with this purchase.

http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/

Amaro
11-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Err...I think I already have Mountain Lion? I have...Version 10.8.

Looks like that's it. Cool then.

ItsJustDave
11-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Err...I think I already have Mountain Lion? I have...Version 10.8.

You've probably got a few patches to apply (I'm on 10.8.2), but yeah that's Mountain Lion.

DVYDRNS
11-28-2012, 01:40 AM
.3 should be out any day now.

Amaro
11-28-2012, 08:38 PM
I've got a bit to learn...but I already am feeling at home. ;)

One thing that's bugging me is my Mozilla icon in the dock keeps turning into a "?" before I've opened it in a given session. I feel like it was something I did in the time of downloading/installing, not sure what, but naturally I'm trying to wipe it clean from my system, bring it back as brand new, and hope it doesn't do that. I tried this process once, but it does "?" again after a shutdown... Did I fail to wipe it away completely before reinstalling, or was this icon picture never my fault?

Also, I get a little irritated because I can't find out what makes a command+tab not want to visibly switch to the program you're trying to switch to while working in another...like iTunes. And yet sometimes it does achieve the full switchover like I intend. I'm sure I'm missing a point... Right now though I do the combo and highlight over iTunes, but it doesn't bring up the program in my face, though iTunes is clearly what it switched to due to top bar now saying "iTunes."

allegro
11-28-2012, 09:06 PM
After you downloaded Firefox, and you started up the installer from the DMG icon that looks like a little drive on your desktop, did you do as it instructed and drag the Firefox app to the Apps folder? If not, each time you click on the Firefox icon you will get the ? because the OS is looking for the DMG, which you probably ejected from your desktop?

Edit: see this ...

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-firefox-mac

Amaro
11-29-2012, 07:58 PM
After you downloaded Firefox, and you started up the installer from the DMG icon that looks like a little drive on your desktop, did you do as it instructed and drag the Firefox app to the Apps folder? If not, each time you click on the Firefox icon you will get the ? because the OS is looking for the DMG, which you probably ejected from your desktop?

Edit: see this ...

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-firefox-mac

I think that may've worked. I never did do the drag... Now I see the illustrative arrow. I shall see if that did the trick at the start of the next session. Thank you.

Also, I think I now understand my other issue, about the command+tab function... I simply had iTunes minimized earlier, so when it switched, it brought me to the program exactly how I left it, tucked away.

DVYDRNS
11-30-2012, 12:22 AM
For what it's worth. Give safari a shot. It integrates really well with the os. And syncs with your iOS devices wonderfully I don't even deal with Firefox anymore.

Jinsai
11-30-2012, 12:44 AM
I rarely say things like this, but Apple customer service is super awesome.

allegro
11-30-2012, 07:58 AM
For what it's worth. Give safari a shot. It integrates really well with the os. And syncs with your iOS devices wonderfully I don't even deal with Firefox anymore.
I agree. I have Firefox for certain things, but mostly use Safari on my Mac machines.

Meanwhile, I finally caved and upgraded to the newest OS on my iPhone 4S last night.

Amaro
11-30-2012, 11:34 AM
No, that's good to hear coming from you guys. I just automatically went for what I had on PC. Good to know.

One thing I noted liking about Safari is the tabs don't show the X until you hover over the tab or have it clicked (can't remember at the moment). Whichever it was, I preferred it over having accidentally closing a tab on Mozilla because of how the X always appears on their tabs.

Edit: By the way, allegro, the Mozilla instructions you gave me worked. The simple drag to Applications.

DVYDRNS
11-30-2012, 06:18 PM
if you really wanna impress the girls, start playing with automator. i love that stupid script maker.

imail724
12-01-2012, 03:32 PM
So what's up with the new itunes, not sure I like it. I miss cover flow

liquidcalm
12-01-2012, 05:19 PM
So what's up with the new itunes, not sure I like it. I miss cover flow
I actually dig it, its much much faster than it used to be and I like the new search... took a while to find my way around tho.

Clownboat
12-01-2012, 05:56 PM
I hate that scrolling with a non-Apple mouse is really slow in the new iTunes.

allegro
12-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Jesus the new iTunes is WEIRD wtf

imail724
12-03-2012, 06:00 PM
On previous versions, you used to be able to highlight a bunch of songs, and it would say on the bottom how long that selection of songs is and how long it will take you to listen to it all. Is there no way to do this anymore?

cashpiles (closed)
12-03-2012, 10:44 PM
first iPhone 5... then the iPad mini... now this "upgrade".... hurray!!

Broadbent
12-05-2012, 07:27 PM
thanks for the heads up guys I almost downloaded it without thinking, but was using itunes and didnt wanna wait for the update. And then I just happened to read this thread and all the shitty things about it. dodged a bullet there.

darktemplar007
12-05-2012, 10:12 PM
I hate the new iTunes. It's annoying to have to only have your playlists open or the library, and I don't like the album or artists view at all. Ugh.

V Thanks Ax! You can also bring the old bottom status bar back. Whew, I like it a little more now. I guess my only complaint now is the lack of album art in the regular list view.

Ax Mr. L
12-06-2012, 06:58 AM
I hate the new iTunes. It's annoying to have to only have your playlists open or the library, and I don't like the album or artists view at all. Ugh.
On iTunes go to 'view' then 'show sidebar' and you have the old sidebar back!

Amaro
12-06-2012, 09:41 AM
On iTunes go to 'view' then 'show sidebar' and you have the old sidebar back!

I meant to like.

Yes, this is one step to comfort.

imail724
12-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Is it just me, or does the iTunes window not fit the screen properly when fully expanded? (I'm on Windows)

koz-ivan
12-07-2012, 08:44 AM
On previous versions, you used to be able to highlight a bunch of songs, and it would say on the bottom how long that selection of songs is and how long it will take you to listen to it all. Is there no way to do this anymore?

itunes 11 still does that, but you may need to trigger an option from the view menu. "show status bar"

---

i kinda miss cover flow, at the same time i can't say i ever used it much for browsing, once you get too the point of "too many albums" it gets in the way.

don't miss ping, or itunes dj.

looking into album view now, i do have to say that is pretty nice i like the way that view uses the colors from the album art and tries to use them for the text, that is pretty clever & looks slick.

Deadpool
12-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Hi ladies and gents,
Ever since trying to download the newest version of iTunes I've been getting this pesky message:

"This version of iTunes has not been correctly localized for this language. Please run the English version."

I've tried switching to 'British English', logging out, logging back in, switching to 'English', and that whole spiel but I still can't download the newest version successfully, and (most annoyingly) I can't open iTunes at all. Any advice? Thank you!!

imail724
12-08-2012, 10:44 AM
itunes 11 still does that, but you may need to trigger an option from the view menu. "show status bar"
Yeah I figured that out after posting, thanks. But it turns out I wasn't seeing it because the iTunes window doesn't fit the screen properly when fully expanded, anyone else notice this? (I'm on Windows)

koz-ivan
12-08-2012, 07:09 PM
Hi ladies and gents,
Ever since trying to download the newest version of iTunes I've been getting this pesky message:

"This version of iTunes has not been correctly localized for this language. Please run the English version."

I've tried switching to 'British English', logging out, logging back in, switching to 'English', and that whole spiel but I still can't download the newest version successfully, and (most annoyingly) I can't open iTunes at all. Any advice? Thank you!!

looks like something similar happened with some itunes updates in the past, https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3837992?start=0&tstart=0

what seems to have worked there is just to download the installer from apple.com/itunes and re-install.

carpenoctem
12-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Got my first iPhone today. I'm so happy! I will never go the Android route again. I had nothing but issues with that thing - super slow, terrible battery life (to the point where I'd never use it for fear it might die on me at an inopportune time), not user-friendly. The only thing I'll miss is the pull-out keyboard. I don't know how I feel about the touch screen keyboard yet. I have a feeling much typo-ing will ensue.

NotoriousTIMP
12-08-2012, 07:28 PM
^^^^

Welcome to the winning side! :)

Android has some great features but I agree that battery life has always been terrible with that OS. As far as use friendliness goes; it depended on what phone you had. The biggest gripe I have with Android is the fact that its so damn fragmented. For example, when you go from a Motorola phone to an HTC, the user shouldn't have to relearn where "setting" menu is located. HTC loves to bury important stuff like that and it always drove me nuts.

What version of the iPhone did you get?

Conan The Barbarian
12-08-2012, 07:32 PM
That's why you root your phone.

NotoriousTIMP
12-08-2012, 07:39 PM
That's why you root your phone.

Even with rooting the OS always felt clunky to me. The only time I rooted my droid tablet was to remove the shit apps that came pre-installed. This is another reason why I love my iPhone. Apple doesn't install shit apps (ie: blockbuster app) and lock them to the device. Also, the camera has ALWAYS been better on the iPhone. The GS3 is the first android device to give the iPhone a run for the money when it came to the camera.

Amaro
12-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Got my first iPhone today. I'm so happy! I will never go the Android route again. I had nothing but issues with that thing - super slow, terrible battery life (to the point where I'd never use it for fear it might die on me at an inopportune time), not user-friendly. The only thing I'll miss is the pull-out keyboard. I don't know how I feel about the touch screen keyboard yet. I have a feeling much typo-ing will ensue.

Give it time with the touch-only! I was only hesitant about switching to an iPhone because of this, over a year ago, and I have really been more than fine since I went for it. I still do a typo often enough but it's mostly because I'm too lazy sometimes to really focus or, like now, I'm laying on my side and it's hard to be lined up perfectly straight. (I always prefer typing with the iPhone vertical.) The point is the autocorrect becomes a good, generally smart friend in these times. It's really a very well done touch keyboard though. The Apple touch interface in general is the best (let's be real lol), so, of course the keyboard rocks.

carpenoctem
12-09-2012, 10:56 AM
What version of the iPhone did you get?

The 4S. I remember vaguely hearing about an iPhone 5 recently but I guess Sprint is only offering last generation phones. Which is totally fine with me. I'm just getting my feet wet so I don't need anything super new. And to be honest I would be overwhelmed just with the iPhone that came out in 2008.

Give it time with the touch-only! I was only hesitant about switching to an iPhone because of this, over a year ago, and I have really been more than fine since I went for it. I still do a typo often enough but it's mostly because I'm too lazy sometimes to really focus or, like now, I'm laying on my side and it's hard to be lined up perfectly straight. (I always prefer typing with the iPhone vertical.) The point is the autocorrect becomes a good, generally smart friend in these times. It's really a very well done touch keyboard though. The Apple touch interface in general is the best (let's be real lol), so, of course the keyboard rocks.

Ooh, thanks, I think I will try it vertical and see if that's any better. I've only sent a few texts so far, and other than the spell-check suggesting "Omar" in place of "moar" (is there an in-built dictionary I can add my terrible Internet language to?) it was fine.

I've been spending the whole morning making awesome ringtones. I'm sure there was a way to do that with the Android phone but it was probably a lot more complex. This is super simple, can be done in a snap on iTunes (or on GarageBand if I'm looping 10-second samples, to be converted into AAC files on iTunes), and synced to your iPhone right away. If anyone doesn't already know how to do this, here's the video I used. (Though I will helpfully suggest you do not use Aerosmith as your ringtone. For your sake and for the sake of all those who are around you when you get a call.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjloDiNAWjc

Leviathant
12-09-2012, 11:52 AM
This is another reason why I love my iPhone. Apple doesn't install shit apps (ie: blockbuster app) and lock them to the device.

I disagree, and present the following for your consideration:

Newsstand
Game Center
Safari

And to a lesser extent...
iOS6 Maps (note: I live in a city where I walk and take transit everywhere I go)
Weather
YouTube
Compass

screwdriver
12-09-2012, 12:21 PM

Newsstand
Game Center
Safari

iOS6 Maps (note: I live in a city where I walk and take transit everywhere I go)
Weather
YouTube
Compass

Game Center doesn't get nearly enough hate. That thing automatically (and forcibly) links to some of my games and makes them buggy as hell.

NotoriousTIMP
12-09-2012, 02:27 PM

Newsstand
Game Center
Safari

Ah yes, I forgot about the Game Center and Newstand. At least with these apps they don't eat up a truck load of space and cause the device to run slower. Besides, I JB my iPhone and remove/hide those two apps so its all good.

How is safari a crap app?

Weather
YouTube
Compass

Maps is pretty weak and Apple has admitted this, but before that it was a great app. If you're looking for a good public transit app, get a free app like OneBusAway (however, this is only for the Seattle area. I'm sure there are other apps out there). I use this daily and have no issues getting around town via public transit.

The Weather app is fine. What more do you want it to do? It's better than any app that you can download and it gives you accurate weather reports. The Wearher.com app on Android is a huge resource hog and crashes constantly.

The YouTube app is now no longer pre-installed. Even before this change, the original app was great. I never had any issues and it worked flawlessly.

Compass: ok....this one might be pointless to the vast majority who own an iPhone. Lol

DVYDRNS
12-09-2012, 05:00 PM
I've just finished a project in San Francisco where I had to migrate 250 real estate agents over to google apps from a dated exchange system in less than 5 days... this was quite a project... but now after all is said and done... I have a new love for my iPhone

Of course I've always loved my iPhone, but now that im planning to move back into San Francisco, based on my usage of it this past week, its absolutely the most important device i own.

I use it obviously to communicate, but also, my soundcloud links to it, which is fantastic because im working with 3 bands right now that send me private tracks which i can listen to while im commuting around.

The timer function is a really obvious one, but i never had much use for it before this week. Setting the timer to remind me to feed the meter saved my ass a few times this week.

MESSAGES in sync with mountain lion on the mac is the most useful piece of software for communicating with team mates no matter where i am.

REMINDERS! This app is JUST FANTASTIC! I can sync reminders with other team members for different locations, and when I get to a location, im alerted to something i need to do there. It drains the battery but my phone is plugged in as much as possible, and i intend to get a battery case as soon as they are available for the 5. It syncs with my MBP and i can just check things off no matter what device im near.

I finally let go of my unlimited Data (Screw you att) because I needed to tether while im around the city. The LTE is damn amazing in SF. and it allowed me to be ultra efficient and deal with remote sessions via gotomeeting and logmein, on my macbook pro. You can spend a lot of time on public transit in the bay area. And to be able to work while traveling is gigantic.

Speaking of LTE, I had stellar connection pretty much everywhere in SF. I know att gets a lot of hate for connectivity in certain places, but San Francisco is not an issue as far as i can see...

Maps screwed me once this week. so im a little annoyed about that. But other than that, since i've lived in the bay area, there are some areas that have changed and I wasnt sure where to go. Maps 99% of the time had my back.

I got hungry for a burrito, so i asked siri, and i found that a block away i could get a burrito and a beer for lunch...

Gmail offers an exchange client for free when using Gmail accounts. I dont know if android offers that (i cant see why they wouldn't) but its an absolutely magnificent tool for synchronization.

Voice Memo's are great. I actually use them quite frequently

Occasionally when i need to use BART, the BART app lets me know where all the trains are and if they are on time.

When I'm over it all at the end of the day and i dont want to work anymore, I can play a stupid game or watch hulu and netflix. Or stream from my gigantic music library stored in iCloud. And then when i get home I turn my TV on and control my stereo and TV with the Apple Remote App.

When i want to hammer out a basic music idea, I've got a crap load of synths and DAWS that work really well....

The device is just amazing. I've always known it. But this week definitely solidified itself as the most important device i own.

Hello Future. I've been waiting for you...

Sutekh
12-09-2012, 05:18 PM
No Cover Flow!!! Aaargh

I'm going to revert ASAP. iTunes is total crap, coverflow was all it had going for it

DVYDRNS
12-09-2012, 06:14 PM
I don't know why people hate on iTunes. On windows it sucks. But it's a perfectly capable media library organizer and player on the Mac.

DVYDRNS
12-09-2012, 06:39 PM
Also can we drop the rip Steve. It's been long enough.

ItsJustDave
12-09-2012, 06:40 PM
I don't know why people hate on iTunes. On windows it sucks. But it's a perfectly capable media library organizer and player on the Mac.

My only gripe with it continues to be the lack of native support for FLAC.

Also can we drop the rip Steve. It's been long enough.

Agreed, done.

DVYDRNS
12-09-2012, 06:54 PM
My only gripe with it continues to be the lack of native support for FLAC.

Agreed, done.

I hear ya. that used to be an issue for me, but then i just started converting everything to ALAC. and im pretty pleased with that. honestly i just want my stuff to work and sound good. and if thats what i have to do to achieve that, then thats no big deal...

darktemplar007
12-09-2012, 11:30 PM
I got an iPhone 5 today. First smartphone I've ever owned. I have wanted one for awhile, but now I am just overwhelmed. It can do so much compared to my crappy little flip phone it's replacing. WHAT IS THIS FUTURE TECHNOLOGY!?

heroicraptor
12-10-2012, 12:01 AM
I got an iPhone 5 today. First smartphone I've ever owned. I have wanted one for awhile, but now I am just overwhelmed. It can do so much compared to my crappy little flip phone it's replacing. WHAT IS THIS FUTURE TECHNOLOGY!?

Welcome to this decade. :P

allegro
12-10-2012, 09:16 AM

Newsstand
Game Center
Safari
See also this on my iPhone 242

edit: wow, choosing the "small" image attachment via Tapatalk doesn't work out too well, does it? haha

NotoriousTIMP
12-13-2012, 01:10 AM
GoogleMaps has returned to iOS devices with turn-by-turn directions, public transit information, and a sleek interface!

http://www.zagg.com/community/blog/google-maps-once-again-available-on-iphone/

allegro
12-13-2012, 05:18 AM
Thank god!!! (runs to App Store)

Ahhhhhhhhh Google Maps is back on my iPhone again, ahhhhhhh

klyrish
12-13-2012, 08:56 AM
Anyone else running into major sync issues with iTunes/iPhone? Every time I try to add new music from my MBP, it deletes any playlists I've created on my phone and often randomly chooses an album or two to sync again unnecessarily, causing the songs to double up. I don't have any of the auto-sync options enabled in iTunes. I like to manage it closely.

Also, the album art is COMPLETELY messed up. Even on a song-by-song basis. It's getting extremely annoying.

NotoriousTIMP
12-13-2012, 09:57 AM
Anyone else running into major sync issues with iTunes/iPhone? Every time I try to add new music from my MBP, it deletes any playlists I've created on my phone and often randomly chooses an album or two to sync again unnecessarily, causing the songs to double up. I don't have any of the auto-sync options enabled in iTunes. I like to manage it closely.

Also, the album art is COMPLETELY messed up. Even on a song-by-song basis. It's getting extremely annoying.

Maybe try uninstalling iTunes and reinstalling it? I had this issue before on my PC and that fixed it.

NotoriousTIMP
12-18-2012, 08:39 AM
Well, this (http://www.ibtimes.com/ios-6-untethered-jailbreak-iphone-5-dream-jb-fake-claimed-jailbreak-video-removed-youtube-935476) is sad news :( I was really hoping on getting my iPhone 5 JB'd

Leviathant
12-18-2012, 09:27 AM
Stopping by to drop this turd: wifi sync is completely ineffective. Yes, I googled and followed various instructions about resetting this, being plugged in while doing that. I should be able to plug my phone into the power outlet next to my bed, and when I wake up in the morning, all of my music should have synced, not ~17 songs.

NotoriousTIMP
12-18-2012, 09:28 AM
I completely forgot that wifi sync was a new feature....sounds like its a half assed feature at that lol

DVYDRNS
12-18-2012, 09:32 AM
I just use itunes match. best 25 bucks i ever spent. Leviathant NotoriousTIMP klyrish

allegro
12-18-2012, 09:51 AM
I got iTunes Match when it first came out. Then I canceled it. The delay in my car was really annoying.

DVYDRNS
12-18-2012, 07:19 PM
i dont have much delay at all. but im on LTE... although i didnt have much delay on my 4s either...

Clownboat
12-18-2012, 09:36 PM
iTunes Match is a convenient service, but I have a few nitpicks with it. I think I'd love it if it let me decide which albums to put on the cloud. I get that iTunes might have the same Converge album that I just added to my library, but when my rip is from a better source and is higher quality, it's a real pain to end up with a low bit-rate iTunes source with two-second gaps between each track. Trying to figure out what "version" of the album I'm using on my iPhone could really be more transparent—I'd love to use a chunk of that 25GB for higher quality files if I had the choice.

It's rare that I have this issue, but when it happens, it's really bothersome. I don't mind it (or even notice it!) with some of my tracks, but when it comes to my favorite bands it stands out like a sore thumb.

I hope I'm just missing something obvious!

allegro
12-19-2012, 11:14 PM
i dont have much delay at all. but im on LTE... although i didnt have much delay on my 4s either...

This is pretty much all the stuff that happened to me with Match back then: http://m.nbcnews.com/technology/technolog/itunes-match-review-not-made-heaven-119038

carpenoctem
01-02-2013, 06:09 PM
Does anyone have any tips for how to optimize performance in GarageBand? I didn't realize that a project could be too "complex" and stop playing altogether, but that's what's happening with some of my recent projects. I have just downloaded a ton of music though, so that might be what's affecting it. I have a MacBook Pro, by the way. Should I buy an external hard drive and move all my music/movies to that? I'd like to figure out the pros/cons before I drop the cash on an external hard drive though - if it's not going to help then I don't want to waste money.

allegro
01-02-2013, 06:49 PM
GarageBand is s total cache hog, less ram more problems. The hard drive isn't the problem

DVYDRNS
01-02-2013, 08:56 PM
Run logic in 64 bit.

bruised
01-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Picked up an iPad mini today - so awesome!

DVYDRNS
01-02-2013, 09:54 PM
more memory wont help. iLife is all 32 bit. throw all the ram in the world at any of those apps, and it wont make a lick of difference.

johnbron
01-03-2013, 12:43 AM
I bought an iPad mini today. After a few hours with it, I'm very happy. I've wanted an iPad for a long time now, but it was a Dungeons and Dragons app that finally pushed me over the edge. I'm so used to the display on the iPhone 4 and 5 that it's going to take a little while for me to get used to this lower PPI screen, but it's not terrible, even if it is very noticeably lower res. I love how easy this is to hold up and type on and I don't think I'd like a full sized iPad as much as I do this. Bitchin'!

NotoriousTIMP
01-03-2013, 12:58 AM
wow....the new iTunes interface blows :( anyone else not digging it?

DVYDRNS
01-03-2013, 02:07 AM
I think it's fine. They need to tweak a few things. But overall you can get the old interface back by turning on the proper options in the menus. NotoriousTIMP

DVYDRNS
01-03-2013, 02:08 AM
I bought an iPad mini today. After a few hours with it, I'm very happy. I've wanted an iPad for a long time now, but it was a Dungeons and Dragons app that finally pushed me over the edge. I'm so used to the display on the iPhone 4 and 5 that it's going to take a little while for me to get used to this lower PPI screen, but it's not terrible, even if it is very noticeably lower res. I love how easy this is to hold up and type on and I don't think I'd like a full sized iPad as much as I do this. Bitchin'!

Baldurs gate?

allegro
01-03-2013, 06:45 AM
more memory wont help. iLife is all 32 bit. throw all the ram in the world at any of those apps, and it wont make a lick of difference.
They really do suck. I know, though, that when I was doing art projects in college using required iLife elements, I seemed to have less problems with GarageBand on the Mac Pros at school (whereas nothing in GarageBand worked worth a shit on my MacBook), so processor and memory did seem to have big effect, This was several years ago, though. I had GarageBand on my iPads but it was so useless (and I don't have fun making music, it bores me after 5 minutes), I deleted it from all devices.

Speaking of iLife:
I really really hate the newest versions of iPhoto, particularly after the introduction of "Events" which is integral and can't be shitcanned. And "faces" ugh ugh ugh so dumb.

allegro
01-03-2013, 07:10 AM
I don't notice the lower PPI as much, probably because I'm not a gamer. But I looooooove reading on my mini (books and magazines). The only complaint I have when comparing it to my Kindles or books: it's COLD. I mean on my hands. It's very cold here in the Midwest right now and this mini seems to retain cold. I try to hold it only via the smart cover but that's kinda hard to do sometimes. I'm thinking of knitting it a sweater cover.

DVYDRNS
01-03-2013, 08:57 AM
They really do suck. I know, though, that when I was doing art projects in college using required iLife elements, I seemed to have less problems with GarageBand on the Mac Pros at school (whereas nothing in GarageBand worked worth a shit on my MacBook), so processor and memory did seem to have big effect, This was several years ago, though. I had GarageBand on my iPads but it was so useless (and I don't have fun making music, it bores me after 5 minutes), I deleted it from all devices.

Speaking of iLife:
I really really hate the newest versions of iPhoto, particularly after the introduction of "Events" which is integral and can't be shitcanned. And "faces" ugh ugh ugh so dumb.

Processor speed had a big effect. Mac pros have typically 8+ cores. Whereas your MacBook had maybe 2.

Also MacBooks have 5200 rpm hard drives. As opposed to 7200 rpm 3gps link speed.

So that's a significant boost that isn't related to ram.

You could put an ssd in the machine. That would help significantly. But those are pricey still.

Presideo
01-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Does anyone have any tips for how to optimize performance in GarageBand? I didn't realize that a project could be too "complex" and stop playing altogether, but that's what's happening with some of my recent projects. I have just downloaded a ton of music though, so that might be what's affecting it. I have a MacBook Pro, by the way. Should I buy an external hard drive and move all my music/movies to that? I'd like to figure out the pros/cons before I drop the cash on an external hard drive though - if it's not going to help then I don't want to waste money. Locking individual tracks in Garageband helps a lot. Also, try closing every other application before loading Garageband, including web browsers, iTunes, etc. I use a dated duel-core Macbook so I'm used to errors in Garageband and Logic (wish I had gotten a quad-core when I had the chance; constantly crashing applications are no fun)

DVYDRNS
01-03-2013, 10:59 AM
I recommend to anybody that is even remotely serious about video or photos or audio. buy the pro apps.

Why apple pushes their flagship iLife software without updating it to 64 bit is beyond me. essentially you can buy the most awesome computer they have and the software that they ship with it, doesn't even utilize a fraction of a % of the machines power. Instead it just crashes constantly. Its beyond me why.

Especially when they build these apps to constantly be indexing your library. Its the most bassakwards shit software known to man. And it could all be fixed if they simply enabled 64 bit support. Its not like they haven't already written the support for it.

Garageband is the same kernal as Logic which is 64 bit.
Final Cut X is 64 Bit and thats based on iMovie
Aperture is 64 Bit and thats basically the exact same kernal as iPhoto.

So the only thing that makes sense is they are simply not putting that support in because they want people to pay for the Pro Apps.

Which is stupid because most people aren't going to do that. Instead everyones just gonna sit around and bitch about how much iLife apps suck. And rightfully so.

Just spend the money. Or find a torrent. Apples piracy control is practically nonexistent.

allegro
01-03-2013, 12:07 PM
Locking individual tracks in Garageband helps a lot. Also, try closing every other application before loading Garageband, including web browsers, iTunes, etc. I use a dated duel-core Macbook so I'm used to errors in Garageband and Logic (wish I had gotten a quad-core when I had the chance; constantly crashing applications are no fun)
True, back when I had to use GarageBand for a college class, I tried some of those fixes and they did help, although they were mostly a pain in the ass.
http://www.thegaragedoor.com/setup/improving.html

Just spend the money. Or find a torrent. Apples piracy control is practically nonexistent.
I've been messing with some of the other photo Apps to see if I like something better. I am not interested in pro level anything, but I cannot STAND iPhoto and I'm sick of paying for upgrades hoping they'll finally take away fucking EVENTS and other useless shit designed for braindead socker moms. Can you even GET full iLife, anymore? The only way I've bought any portion is via individual Apps for a few years.

DVYDRNS
01-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Aperture is solid allegro

allegro
01-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Aperture is solid allegro
Okay, I took your advice and bought Aperture. Gonna have to study this and see how I can organize these billions of photos in my library in some way.

allegro
01-17-2013, 11:46 AM
Okay, guys, any ideas?

iTunes on my iMac is apparently haunted. It's been doing this for the last few iTunes updates so it ain't the update. But, I thought there may be some link to Firefox. iTunes just starts playing out of nowhere.

Mech
01-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Is this happening when you aren't even using the computer? If you are using it and this is happening, are you maybe accidentally pressing the "Play/Pause" button right above the letters? Otherwise, I have no clue!

allegro
01-18-2013, 11:00 AM
It happens when I'm nowhere near the computer.

edit: it could be related to the audio jack and my Bose external speakers. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2218516?start=15&tstart=0

DVYDRNS
01-18-2013, 11:17 AM
if you have an apple tv and use the remote anywhere near the computer, it will activate itunes on the computer. just throwin that out there. you can disable this if you need.

allegro
01-19-2013, 05:18 PM
Yea, I do have an Apple TV but when this happens I'm nowhere near it. I rarely use Apple TV. But I did see that as a possibility when I was doing research. Thanks, though.