PDA

View Full Version : The Grey

Hazekiah
02-04-2012, 05:49 AM
Anyone else here catch this?

I'd definitely recommend it, although the trailers and teasers kinda shit the bed a bit (anyone who HAS seen it should understand what I mean there).

It was a surprisingly tight and sharp, personal little movie.I know a lot of people like to rag on that sort of thing these days, but I think it's great. I don't know...I guess I just really love a well told story in the classic, '80s-lo-budget vein:

"Here's your people, here's your tools, here's your problem...now GO!"

And I think I even noticed a nod to the Alien films in this movie!

There's one guy in the group who's wearing a baseball cap with "W Y" in a rectangle on the front. Maybe it means something else I just don't know, and it doesn't QUITE seem to fit the appropriate logo/font...but I still just couldn't HELP but think of Weylan(d)-Yutani a.k.a. "The Company" every time I saw it.

Plus, it's basically the same damned movie as Alien.

A bunch of corporate grunts get stuck in the wilderness with a ravenous beast that hunts and kills them one-by-one.Just a thought.

Anyway, curious to hear what everyone else thought about it and wanted to give it some good word-of-mouth since it TOTALLY deserves it and it's still in theaters.

Oh, and one more thing...STAY FOR THE CREDITS.

;)

SeeOhDeeWhy
02-04-2012, 03:24 PM
I'm about to post a lot of spoilerific things but will hide them. I heard about this movie since I started working at a movie theater two months ago. We have a huge cutout of Liam Neeson staring directly at me while I work in Concessions. I listened to a podcast where one of the people in it saw it at Butt-Numb-A-Thon in Austin, Texas. He said in the podcast not to watch any of the trailers because (SPOILERS)The ending is in the fucking trailer(/end spoilers) So I had no idea why I shouldn't watch the trailer or what the movie was about for about a month and a half. Then some girl on my facebook gave away everything about the movie after she saw it. So I saw it with a friend of mine on Wednesday. Holy shit, I wasn't expecting how intense the movie was. (SPOILERS)The plane crash scene had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. (/end spoilers) I loved the movie, and to everyone who hasn't seen it yet, try your best to avoid spoilers and please don't read mine.

(SPOILERS)In a way though, I guess I'm grateful the movie was spoiled for me. If it hadn't, I would have had hope that at least one person would've lived. (/END MAJOR SPOILERS)

bobbie solo
02-06-2012, 02:00 PM
will not watch this dreck, but i do love the idea of Neeson reinventing himself as a badass action star at the age of 50 (or rather, 48 if you go with Taken as the start of this). He's such an accomplished actor that can do much more serious roles, but this is a cool and unique turn he's had over the past few years.

Hazekiah
02-06-2012, 08:26 PM
^ Don't wanna spoil too much...but you're letting the misleading ad campaign and your biased preconceptions rob you of a worthwhile moviegoing experience.

The trailers make it LOOK like a kinda silly action movie.

It is NOT that movie.

And his role in this film is QUITE serious. Surprisingly tender and melancholy, actually.

Give it a chance sometime, I'll think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

:)

aggroculture
02-07-2012, 12:50 AM
The grey in question is a grey alien? Pretty stupid of them not to give any indication of this on the posters. I had no idea this is a sci fi movie.

Deadpool
02-07-2012, 11:45 PM
will not watch this dreck, but i do love the idea of Neeson reinventing himself as a badass action star at the age of 50 (or rather, 48 if you go with Taken as the start of this). He's such an accomplished actor that can do much more serious roles, but this is a cool and unique turn he's had over the past few years.

Yes, Neeson is clearly the man, but why is The Grey dreck exactly? I saw it today and loved it. The commercials make it look like a badass action movie to rally behind, which I have no problem with when it's Neeson (I do have a problem when it's Mark Wahlberg), however, as mentioned above, it's not that. It is a character driven, highly dramatic epic. Emphasis on the character-driven. The best scenes in this movie really breathe and go on as long as they deserve to. It's all about these men and their will to survive, NOT "Let's fight some wolves! YEAHHHH!" I really, really liked this movie - as of now, I don't think there's anything I would change about it. Highly recommended.

*Spoiler*
arguably the best line in the movie: "I'm about to beat the shit out of you in 5 seconds, and you're gonna swallow a lot of blood."

Hazekiah
02-10-2012, 05:47 AM
*Spoiler*
arguably the best line in the movie:"I'm about to beat the shit out of you in 5 seconds, and you're gonna swallow a lot of blood."

Haha, yeah, that was fucking tense and awesome as hell, lol.

If any other character had said it the line probably would've sounded retarded, but coming from a dead-serious BEHEMOTH like Ottway/Neeson you can't help but listen the fuck up and back the fuck down. Definitely a line a tucked away in a pocket of my memory for future use, not that I'm expecting the same deference, lol.

Glad to hear your thoughts about the rest of the movie, too. We're definitely on the same page there.

I wouldn't have minded a little change towards the end, though.

Significant I don't think it would have necessarily been a detriment to the point of the movie for it to have met its wider audience in the middle a little more than it did.

The way it was advertised just sets the movie's ending up for SO MUCH hatred that I think it would have been smart to at least let us hear some more of the struggle while the credits rolled over a black screen, possibly with brief glimpses of bloody teeth gnashing away and stuff like that, too...or, hell, even a brutal-ass ALL OUT BRAWL like the trailers suggested STILL wouldn't have wrecked the intellectual and emotional heft of the scenes before it if handled properly.

I think the less superficial moviegoing crowd would have been fine with an over-the-top HOLY SHIT ending like that given all the quiet, melancholy genius leading up to it still being present and the focus of the movie, but anyone who went into the theater based on the trailers, probably the vast majority of the audience, is really getting swindled. And HELL, YES what they got is 1,000x better and more interesting than what they wanted, but still. Being the primary market and focus of the ENTIRE ad campaign as well as considering the fact that crowds looking for that sort of thing are generally going to be a LOT less forgiving when they find out what they got than the cinephile crowd would be I really think it would've behooved them to throw the MAN vs. WOLF crowd a bit more of a bone to chew on with that extended ending, so to speak.

;)

But OH, WELL...we got what we got and I'm more than happy with that.

Still, I'll DEFINITELY be checking out the deleted alternate ending footage of the wolf fight in the bonus features as soon as I possibly can.

>:)

sentient02970
02-10-2012, 12:23 PM
After watching the trailer and noticing the title started with "The" I immediately thought: "oh yay, it's The Edge without edge". Maybe I'm wrong?

onthewall2983
02-11-2012, 08:50 PM
I'm of the opinion shared here that the advertising does no justice to the profundity of the film. I went in expecting something different, and my expectations were blown clear away.

The last 30 minutes or so of the movie, starting around the fire when Mulroney's character talks about her daughter and Neeson's talks about his father and the poem which ends and begins the film, just fucking blew me away. The succession of Diaz's last stand, Hendrick's death and Ottway going over the wallets almost had me in tears at the end. And I almost have never cried at a movie as an adult, so that should tell you what kind of impact it had on me.

Jinsai
02-12-2012, 09:39 PM
thanks a lot Brett Easton Ellis, for your twitter comment which completely spoiled the movie. Thanks.