PDA

View Full Version : The Menstruation Thread

Lunatica
01-28-2012, 06:21 PM
Ay puñetaaaaa!!!!!!!

halloween
02-05-2012, 08:53 PM
Hi.

PMS has made me extremely depressed. I can't even be motivated about my school work, and i'm feeling like everything i do sucks. I can't stop crying when i think i'm going to fail because i suck.

make it stop =[

miss k bee
02-06-2012, 04:49 AM
Maybe try taking Evening Primrose Oil supplement, it helps me sometimes.

Hula
02-06-2012, 09:40 AM
I started Microlite a week ago to artificially stop my periods. I was on my period when it was prescribed; I've started bleeding again today. I guess this is that spotting bullshit I was warned about >:|

Eos
02-08-2012, 03:35 AM
Getting your period while fighting off a horrible horrible upper respiratory infection really sucks. :\

halloween
02-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Getting your period while fighting off a horrible horrible upper respiratory infection really sucks. :\

yikes! i'm sorry to hear that, i know nothing about respiratory infections, but i hope you get well soon!

aurelius
03-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Does anyone here use Lunapads? My period is fairly light since I started the pill again. I'd like to switch to a greener, more lady-positive product.

icklekitty
03-09-2012, 05:49 AM
Chugging pineapple juice because I'm on my period and tonight's outfit requires me not to wear underwear.

JessicaSarahS
03-15-2012, 01:21 AM
Anyone have personal experiences with an IUD? I am so done with hormonal contraceptives. They are the worst.

millionmilesaway
03-15-2012, 03:30 PM
i was thinking the same thing, I hate taking bc, I was off it for the past few months and my body felt awesome. now that Im back on it I feel like shit, and have been having very messed up periods. Once I get my insurance issues squared away I definitely want to discuss the IUD route, or at least change brands. the free state provided generic is not working so well.

JessicaSarahS
03-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean! I was switched to the mini pill earlier this year from ortho-lo because of my migraines and stomach issues but it's still not working for me. I've taken so many pills, patches, rings, shots, and back to pills. I think I'll go with a copper IUD. I can deal with heavier periods than have to worry about the stroke/migraine risk all of the time. I've made an appointment to have it done for next week.

NINmuffin
03-16-2012, 09:47 PM
Been off birth control since having my son.. I looked into IUD too... Same problems with the pills and such. Before my doc would give me the IUD she made me try the birth control version of the hormones in the IUD to make sure I wouldn't get this thing in and have to have it taken out.. anyway, I am super glad she suggested this bc the hormones that come along with the IUD were the craziest out of all the pills I have tried... Not only was I crazy (like trying to kill things) I was super lethargic and could barely eat.. still searching for best birth control solution :(

halloween
03-17-2012, 01:35 AM
pms depresses me. i feel bloated and generally feel shitty. why do you hate me, body?

Dra508
03-17-2012, 01:31 PM
I have had very good experiences with IUDs. Insertion hurts like childbirth for 5 seconds, but after that, it's forgotten. I used to have Paragard (copper) and now have Mirena (hormonal). Having used the pill in the past, I too wanted to stay away from any hormones, but my doc convinced me that the hormone is local to the uterus rather then raging through you and your period (flow-wise) literally goes away. I highly recommend for pregnancy prevention, buy obviously it does nothing to protect from STDs.

Been off birth control since having my son.. I looked into IUD too... Same problems with the pills and such. Before my doc would give me the IUD she made me try the birth control version of the hormones in the IUD to make sure I wouldn't get this thing in and have to have it taken out.. anyway, I am super glad she suggested this bc the hormones that come along with the IUD were the craziest out of all the pills I have tried... Not only was I crazy (like trying to kill things) I was super lethargic and could barely eat.. still searching for best birth control solution :(I don't understand, your doc gave you a progestogen pill to test out your tolerance to Mirena IUD? Maybe every women has a different experience with hormones (that's not a maybe - I'm sure that the case) because I have not had that sensitivity. I'm crossing my fingers since I've only had Mirena for 8 months, but I'm pretty sure I did not PMS this month and usually I'm good for one raging bitchy day a month.

http://www.winkpass.com/iperiod.html

Because I might be regular, but I'm terrible at keeping track - I have this app

Dra508
05-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Awesome. I'm the last one to post in this thread. Better here then in the how fucked was your day or whatever. Just need to hormonally vent.

It is quite amazing how sideways I can go in one day. Hopping along being busy, day nice and lined up, end with yoga and a nice salmon dinner. No. I miss an appointment with my therapist, get a snide message from the soon to be x, have a work task given to me by my boss, taken away by another person cause they thought I was too busy and I dissolve into a puddle. YEAH PMS. I knew you were right around the corner but I thought eating healthy and exercising would stave you off, but noooooooooo. I do not like to feel this way. I want control and whatever that hormone is just gives me the finger and says "no, right now, we want you to be our bitch."

I'm still going to yoga and eating that salmon after dam it.

:(

Lunatica
05-15-2012, 07:50 PM
I'm like that today too. I have 3 photography projects coming up and they all suck ass! Nothing inspires me anymore and those feelings of self doubt are bitting me in ass again big time. Where as last week I was regularly doing exercise and eating well. My mood was through the roof!

I really don't have anything to bitch about, my life is awesome right now, but I just want to kill myself and my uterus hurts.

I HATE my PMS it's really the worst.

Oh, and apparently my boyfriend has noticed that when I'm PMS'ing my voice goes up another decimal. It's annoyingly shrill as it is so he just gets pissed off for nothing, I could be talking about bread and all of a sudden he just hates bread and wants to kill me and doesn't want to talk to me about bread or anything. I think he has dog hearing or something...

miss k bee
05-17-2012, 01:55 PM
aggh achy, tired, and miserable !

halloween
10-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Anyone else have their boobs hurt up to THREE WEEKS before the actual period? I have been off the pill for months now and it just continues to astounds me the extent of my PMS. I just don't understand this at all, I have basically one week of being normal. I don't know why it's called a Syndrome when it takes up the majority of being. I'm just going to reverse it all and call my one week of normalcy, "Post Menstrual Neutrality Syndrome".

I feel so pissy and short of patience with any little thing right now. It's really hard to chalk up the mood swings that I feel the majority of every month to stupid PMS, and not just say I'm a moody person. I feel so jealous of my friend who had crazy emotional swings while ON the pill and then felt completely stable and better when she was off it. I feel the opposite has happened to me, yet I really don't feel comfortable going back on a hormonal form of birth control.

EDIT. Is it still PMS when it's your first day of the period? Ugh this is fucking obnoxious.

miss k bee
10-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Thanks lord for making my period start a whole week early!

icklekitty
11-04-2012, 01:09 PM
Welp, looks like I'll be having tantric sex with a tampon for the next few days!

melodywhore
11-04-2012, 05:47 PM
damn i thought this was the masturbation thread. my bad.

halloween
11-04-2012, 06:03 PM
my boobs starting hurting last week and today it increased to shooting pains from under my right breast (the bigger one, which isn't saying much since I'm size 34A) to my nipple, every so often. Two more weeks of this shit until my actual period comes along. yay...

Baphomette
11-04-2012, 06:31 PM
I am going to murder somebody if these cramps don't stop.
Seriously... once you've decided you're not gonna breed, nature should give you a PMS pass.

Bluegirl
11-04-2012, 08:30 PM
my boobs starting hurting last week and today it increased to shooting pains from under my right breast (the bigger one, which isn't saying much since I'm size 34A) to my nipple, every so often. Two more weeks of this shit until my actual period comes along. yay...
You know what, I get pain in my breasts every once and a while but they have never been at the exact time of my period so I never thought to pay attention to if there was a correlation. I probably should do that. I normally get pangs in my uterus on and off for about a week before my period. Sometimes it can be really painful but it is not the same type of pain as cramps, just more annoying. It is like my uterus is going 'warning, warning, period coming'.

halloween
11-04-2012, 11:00 PM
It's really bizarre, my boobs felt normal during the week of and the week after my period, but then sure enough, it started again like clockwork. I don't generally notice it because I don't wear a bra, so I have to feel myself up to check if they still hurt, and sure enough...

Fixer808
11-04-2012, 11:05 PM
i'm size 34a... My boobs felt normal... I don't wear a bra... Feel myself up...
Go oooooon?

halloween
11-04-2012, 11:19 PM
go oooooon?
then there's horrid pain and bleeding and oh GAWDMURDEREDBABIESEVERYWHERE!!!!

Fixer808
11-04-2012, 11:27 PM
Goooo OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON?! ;p

ManBurning
11-05-2012, 12:14 AM
Goooo OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON?! ;p

Goo Gone???

orestes
11-17-2012, 06:30 PM
For the first time that I can remember in a long time I'm late.

Hula
11-21-2012, 04:44 AM
Went to the doc about the fact that I was getting my period every other week while on my old pill (Microlite), which I'd been on for aaaaages and had been taking correctly the whole time.

Doctor: [Mess of crap about safe sex, STDs and going to the nurse who is really fucking incompetent so that she can stick instruments inside me to see if I have an STD even though it would be really fucking bizarre and/or impossible if I did; lecture about using condoms in conjunction with birth control in spite of the fact that the main reason I'm taking the pill is so that a) my periods are less intolerable and b) if I'm assaulted I won't get pregnant and not be able to have an abortion because Irish Catholic Church yaaaaay]

Me: Uh, sure. I'll make an appointment (but probably with someone else to do it because apparently that nurse is really inappropriate and I don't really like having people I don't trust touching my bits).
Doctor:I'll put you on Yasmin. It should help the irregularity. If you get a period before the end of the pack, just take pills through the week you would've had your period instead.

Me: Er, but I'm taking it through so that I don't get periods (because I fucking told you and the other doctor you work with that periods are painful and inconvenient and are not something I would ever like to have to go through again and it was agreed that I could use these types of pills to skip it).

Doctor: You shouldn't do that.

Me: ...

A week later I've reached the efficacy stage of Yasmin and wow, suddenly everything's terrible! Mood swings (to the point of actually contemplating self-harm, which hasn't been an issue in at least a year), generally 'feeling weird', stomach cramps, ZERO LIBIDO, heart flutters...

Needless to say I'm not taking Yasmin any more. I haven't had the chance to go in to talk to my doctor yet to get something else but fuck it if I was going to wait a month for the side effects to 'settle down' like everybody recommends. I think it's acceptable if someone who has a history of depression decides not to continue with medication that makes them depressed.

Ugh. Anyway, kind of at a loose end for what to do. Apparently there are progesterone-only pills that I haven't tried yet but I'm scared something like this will happen again. My friend recommended Implanon (the bar) but apparently that can cause wildly irregular periods for the first year (or, you know, for the entire duration) and I wouldn't want to get an implant if it gave me the same sort of side effects long-term. To cap it off I feel like my doctor doesn't listen to me half the time so I'm worried she won't actually take into account my susceptibility to symptoms and particular preferences before prescribing me with something.

It'd be so much easier if I didn't have a uterus -_-

miss k bee
12-29-2012, 02:53 PM
Great my period is going to start a day before NYE and just before I go back to work!! No wonder I have been feeling like a moody cow for the past couple of days!

halloween
01-04-2013, 09:12 AM
I got the shot birth control and it's doing miracles to my PMS. Hopefully it will eliminate my period as well as it is reported to do. It would be normally due on around next week, so I'm crossing my fingers! I got a bigger dosage this first time so I'll be hopefully free of the stain for atleast 5 months. Then I have to make an appointment with a doctor and get it again. I recently learned that while lieing down our blood can seep back into our ovaries and can cause a lot of problems for some women. Gross gross gross. Unless we live in a primitive society where we are basically pregnant continously, I really don't find any reason to let myself keep bleeding. Fuck. That.

miss k bee
08-05-2013, 01:25 PM
Damn this thing! Feels like someone is scraping out the bottom of my uterus with a teaspoon! agggh!

Baphomette
08-26-2013, 10:19 PM
If i don't bleed tonight, the earth is in peril.

nin5in
08-26-2013, 11:26 PM
My periods are shorter ever since I had my tubal ligation done.

icklekitty
08-27-2013, 06:36 AM
If i don't bleed tonight, the earth is in peril.

S'alright, I'll fly over and push you down the stairs.

Dra508
08-29-2013, 04:14 PM
My periods are shorter ever since I had mytubal ligation done. got a Mirena IUD.my story and I'm sticking to it.

Baphomette
12-12-2013, 09:16 PM
OMG first period w/out ibuprofen (pretty much since it was invented) and I'm ready to murder the entire planet. If the cramps stay this bad, my liver's just gonna hafta deal.

Charmingly Miserable
12-23-2013, 04:28 PM
I honestly hate my IUD (fucking thanks, Mirena). I thought it was gonna do away with my periods. No. I still have them and they last for about 10 days. On top of that, I get my period every 3 weeks. I'm so tempted to pull it out but I'm "insured" for another 3 years with the IUD.

icklekitty
12-24-2013, 06:24 AM
A week later I've reached the efficacy stage of Yasmin and wow, suddenly everything's terrible! Mood swings (to the point of actually contemplating self-harm, which hasn't been an issue in at least a year), generally 'feeling weird', stomach cramps, ZERO LIBIDO, heart flutters...

I've been taking Yasmin for 12 years. It's fine. And I do often run 3 packs together to not get a period.

Edit: huh. That was from a year ago.

Dra508
12-24-2013, 07:25 AM
I honestly hate my IUD (fucking thanks, Mirena). I thought it was gonna do away with my periods. No. I still have them and they last for about 10 days. On top of that, I get my period every 3 weeks. I'm so tempted to pull it out but I'm "insured" for another 3 years with the IUD.

Interesting, not my experience at all.

Charmingly Miserable
12-24-2013, 09:19 AM
Interesting, not my experience at all.

So, what is your experience?

playwithfire
12-24-2013, 10:08 AM
PULLING IT OUT? D: I hope you mean going in for that. I can't imagine how much it's gonna suck when I get mine removed.

I've had Paragard for 4 years and I'm beginning to really really seriously consider switching to the implant (http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/birth-control-implant-implanon-4243.htm). While I love not being on hormones and not having to take a pill daily, I feel like stuff is DRASTICALLY more prone to getting screwed up down there with an IUD (given that things have spent way more time off than on in the past 4 years. Nothing too bad, and taking a probiotic daily would help significantly, I'm sure, but yeah.) and my periods are absolutely insane. They last a week+ and the first few days are insanely, INSANELY heavy. Pad and tampon heavy.

I noticed my sex drive was slightly decreased while on the pill, but guess what depression due to my hormones being unregulated results in? YEP.

The fact is, when I was on the pill I didn't have the issues with hormonal depression I do now.

So, while I'm wary of being on hormones again, it seems like something I should look into.

Dra508
12-24-2013, 11:40 AM
So, what is your experience?Prior to Mirena, I had the copper IUD for awhile with no problems whatsoever. A really regular woman with a one solid day of flow that was killer. When I got the Mirena, I stayed completely regular but maybe even more predictable - 26 days without fail. I was told that flow could completely go away which I had mixed feelings about, but after two years, it never has really gone away but that one solid day turned into a minor moment. Virtually no cramps or back pain too. As much as I know some folks don't believe PMS is real, I still have my completely irrational day.

millionmilesaway
12-31-2013, 08:23 PM
stopped taking my BC and am happy to be less hormonal and have more money in my pocket but not happy about going from zero acne to a new zit or two every day. And I forgot that my cramps get extremely painful when not on the pill. hopefully in another month or so my body will reset itself back to normal

JessicaSarahS
01-01-2014, 12:51 AM

Fuck Mirena. Constant bleeding for 5 months and zero libido that didn't even out for another handful of months.

Charmingly Miserable
01-03-2014, 05:28 PM
Fuck Mirena. Constant bleeding for 5 months and zero libido that didn't even out for another handful of months.
It really killed your libido? I dunno about that one. I don't know if it's the Mirena or me being in my early 30s but I'm hornier than in my 20s.

rhet
01-03-2014, 05:45 PM
Any type of hormonal birth control can mess with your libido. Thats why I switched from the pill to a hormone free IUD. If I remember correctly the Mirena is an IUD that also distributes hormones So maybe try just the copper IUD?

Charmingly Miserable
01-03-2014, 05:51 PM
I have no idea what's up anymore. I was supposed to be on my period this week but it didn't happen as of yet. Maybe next week, next month, who knows these days.

Dra508
01-03-2014, 07:45 PM
Mirena is the hormonal one and it hasn't messed my libido one bit. Everyone is different I guess.

JessicaSarahS
01-06-2014, 02:28 AM
It really killed your libido? I dunno about that one. I don't know if it's the Mirena or me being in my early 30s but I'm hornier than in my 20s.

Any type of hormonal birth control can mess with your libido. Thats why I switched from the pill to a hormone free IUD. If I remember correctly the Mirena is an IUD that also distributes hormones So maybe try just the copper IUD?

Yep. I thought it was age related too, but these last few months have proven that wrong. Everything is back to where it was before and I feel like a horny teenager once again. ;) Going to do the copper thing soon.

rhet
01-06-2014, 06:04 AM
I'm glad that worked for you :D unfortunately mine never really returned to the way it was before..went from everyday to a few times a month :(

Charmingly Miserable
01-07-2014, 09:51 PM
^Buzzkill.

I feel like my periods are getting heavier. My periods were so light that I wouldn't have to wear a tampon. But this month, and after about 2 1/2 years, I'm gonna have to wear one. I don't want to pull out the Mirena because I can't afford the patch and my insurance totally covered Mirena. Ugh. So frustrating.

Dra508
01-08-2014, 09:41 PM
^Buzzkill.

I feel like my periods are getting heavier. My periods were so light that I wouldn't have to wear a tampon. But this month, and after about 2 1/2 years, I'm gonna have to wear one. I don't want to pull out the Mirena because I can't afford the patch and my insurance totally covered Mirena. Ugh. So frustrating.

You still got 2.5 years to go. Get a pad.

I keed I keed.

I remember completely embracing my mense. Then my gyno gave me historical context. Back in the day, a woman was always pregnant so "periods" really didn't happen.

Charmingly Miserable
01-08-2014, 09:59 PM
Back in the day, a woman was always pregnant so "periods" really didn't happen.
Fuck that shit!!!! lol

Dra508
01-08-2014, 10:26 PM
Fuck that shit!!!! lol

Seriously, from 12 to 35 preggo and then You died of some public health issue.

rhet
01-09-2014, 04:16 AM
Watching Call the Midwife (a show about you guessed it..midwives..set in the 50's based on a true story) definitely made me appreciate how good we have it now in comparison.

Birth control isn't perfect but Jesus at least I don't have 10 kids.

icklekitty
01-09-2014, 06:42 AM
Seriously, from 12 to 35 preggo and then You died of some public health issue.

I wouldn't mind being pregnant all the time. It's the whole birth and having a child thing.

Charmingly Miserable
09-08-2014, 10:27 PM
I had to bring this thread back into light because I hate my hormones today. Why can't I just get my period and be over with it? My period is a few days late. I'm fine with that. What I am not fine with is me crying in the parking lot at the health food store one minute and then trying to look hot as hell with my frizzy hair and pimples every where so that some guy can notice me. I'm crying to Tori Amos thinking the worst. Then, I'm dancing to the Doors, pretending like I'm the happiest fucker in the planet. Fucking bloody hell.

Sarah K
09-08-2014, 10:44 PM
Ugh... My skin is kind of always shitty now. But for like a week before my period, it is so, so awful. It's so goddamn depressing. I went until like 25 without ever having a zit. And now I basically have them all the time. I've tried countless soaps, scrubs, cleansers... Nothing. Sometimes, it makes me want to cry.

Baphomette
09-08-2014, 11:26 PM
Hello hot flashes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34QVPwRLRKU

jessamineny
09-09-2014, 05:08 AM
Ugh... My skin is kind of always shitty now. But for like a week before my period, it is so, so awful. It's so goddamn depressing. I went until like 25 without ever having a zit. And now I basically have them all the time. I've tried countless soaps, scrubs, cleansers... Nothing. Sometimes, it makes me want to cry.

these people (http://www.reddit.com/r/SkincareAddiction/) seem almost religious about the subject. Might be worth a look

JML9
09-09-2014, 08:02 AM

Ive been going through the same thing! I was on the pill from 15 - 32. I decided to get my tubes tied since I knew I didn't want kids. It's been two years and my face and shoulders are always broken out. I was prescribed Adapaline it kinda cleared my shoulders up but not my face. I break out especially bad about a week before my period. I get really depressed about it too, being in my mid 30s and having acne. It's so embarrassing and frustrating. I hope you find something that works for you!

Charmingly Miserable
09-09-2014, 11:14 AM
I get really depressed about it too, being in my mid 30s and having acne. It's so embarrassing and frustrating. I hope you find something that works for you!

That's my life right there. When I was in my 20s, I was on the patch and my skin was flawless. Not a single damn pimple was to be found. Now, I'm on the IUD and even though my periods are virtually non existent, I have break outs like I'm 15 year old again and my PMS moods swings are ridiculous.

Sarah K
09-09-2014, 11:16 AM
I never had a zit until I started using hormonal birth control... Like, the opposite of most people. And then when I stopped using it, the shitty skin remained.

millionmilesaway
12-08-2014, 05:44 PM
just got the Mirena IUD put in and holy shit that was painful! and the warning of some slight bleeding was an understatement. There seem to be mixed results with it both here and on other sites online, but I hope I go the way of no periods... I know everyone is different but for those of you with it are the first six months really full of unpredictable bleeding spells or is that my doctor just covering herself for a worst case scenario?

Sarah K
12-08-2014, 06:07 PM
I have the copper one, so I'm still stuck with periods. But I for sure had bizarre periods for about the first year. Now it has calmed down a lot.

Also yes, that pain. Ugh.

Dra508
12-08-2014, 10:21 PM
just got the Mirena IUD put in and holy shit that was painful! and the warning of some slight bleeding was an understatement. There seem to be mixed results with it both here and on other sites online, but I hope I go the way of no periods... I know everyone is different but for those of you with it are the first six months really full of unpredictable bleeding spells or is that my doctor just covering herself for a worst case scenario?

Covering. I've had mine for 4 years and still get a little something. Though nothin like before.

Charmingly Miserable
12-08-2014, 11:55 PM
Oh dear! I have the Mirena. It will be 3 years next month and I still get have a period. I totally wanted it to go away as a former coworker only had her period for two months on it and it went away. But no. My body is so fucked that I still have my period. Granted, my periods are virtually non existent: I don't have to wear a tampon at all. My cycle is completely goofy and it's hard to predict when I'm gonna start my period. But yeah, I still have my period.
Sorry to rain on your parade. I've often thought about ripping it out and going back onto the patch, but I can't afford the patch and I good to go for another 2 years on the Mirena. Hopefully your periods will subside soon.

playwithfire
01-28-2016, 08:48 AM
This is much more like... lady parts related than menstruation related, but it's very frustrating and I don't have too many people I can talk to about it, so. TMI ahead.

I have OCD. My hands are generally under much more stress than most people. I take VERY GOOD CARE OF them, so they generally don't seem like it, but when you wash your hands as intensely as I do post-bathroom... yeah. So like, logic does follow that the other parts of my body DIRECTLY INVOLVED with that process that I try to wash all traces off of my hands when I'm done also undergo a similarly bad time. Now, I know how to take care of that part of my body. I don't need advice. At all. Just like I know how to wash my hands and generally still need to take it farther. I've been trying to ease myself off of some of my habits, though I'll never let go of some of them completely (I refuse to not be dry down there after using the bathroom, for instance, fuck that one-swipe bullshit as far as I'm concerned -- but at least I know how to do that way more gently now).

Anyway, being the owner of my parts was a lot easier in a relationship -- because I had a partner who was used to what I deal with and also I didn't have to be as aware of being irritated down there in terms of it upping my STI-contraction risk. FUN EXCITING BONUS: my muscles are fucked. I know why, and it's also related to OCD. But like... getting two fingers in there currently is a really tight fit. Sigh. :( I'm not even that interested in penetrative sex, but I want to be ABLE TO HAVE IT. So for now I'm literally practicing dilating with my smaller dildo and ordered a bigger one off of Amazon I can move up to.

Anyway, I thought I was going to get laid on Tuesday but it's looking like anything on my end is off the table. And, because I just had a bunch of dental work done/stuff shoved into my gums, I'm a bit wary of doing un-barriered oral, so... :/ Yay my body. And I have a lump in my breast I have to go get a sonogram for (though I'm sure I'll be fine -- 26 years old) and I've been having way more anxiety this year and ugh. My body is not on my side.

icklekitty
03-04-2016, 10:24 AM
I got a surprise period halfway through my cycle because I forgot to take my pill for two days.

:mad:

Lew
03-04-2016, 11:32 AM
i must be entering the very exciting menopause, as my cycles have gone haywire. my whole life was: warning cramps up to 24 hours ahead. three days on. done.
now it is 6 weeks of cramps with no bleeding. then a period. then another. then normal. then cramps with no bleeding. then no cramps and bleeding. my last "cycle" was bleeding for five days which has never happened before.

i never could take birth control as i am sensitive to estrogen and the pill always had me throwing up for days on end.
pregnancies were a riot. hyper emesis for the first five months of the first one, then hospitalized at 7 and half months. the second pregnancy was nightmare-ish. hospitalized for at least half of every week until the 7th month, then it was a picc line and permanent gravol iv bag plus liquid food through the second line, and a gravity line with zofran in it when the gravol wasn't cutting it. ugh. i remember after having him, hysterically crying and asking the nurses "when is this going to stop???" as i still had a few days of constant nausea and vomitting post birth.
needless to say i was fixed after the second one.

Lew
03-05-2016, 11:20 AM
http://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love/news/a41402/what-its-really-like-to-free-bleed-during-your-period/

anyone tried this?
sounds hella messy.
i think i would rather fuck around with sphagnum moss and make my own pad or something.
done the diva cup...back in my uni days and that was a suction nightmare.
oh, and i truly love the "idea" of parking my snatch on a patch of moss and free bleeding into that for three days...while amusing and intelligent men bring me peeled grapes, chocolate and hot stone massages. lol.

halloween
03-06-2016, 02:02 PM
I like the woman's brave attempt at giving those a try! I already have my thick black cotton underwear for my "light" days, haha! Otherwise, I'm with the author when she wrote "Yeah, I'll just stick to my hippie-ass menstrual cup forever, thank you."

Also, is anyone else's menses in tune with the lunar cycle? because mine has been and I feel like a pagan Goddess, hahaha! I bleed when it's no-moon and am ovulating during full moon. It's so poetic it hurts.

Edit, I'm not on any form of birth control either so I'm not controlling my cycle at all.

orestes
03-06-2016, 05:08 PM
I've been thinking of trying those menstrual panties but they are expensive.

Sarah K
03-06-2016, 05:18 PM
I don't understand the cups. They are SO HUGE. Like how the shit is that supposed to comfortably sit in there? I have a hard enough time tolerating tampons.

halloween
03-06-2016, 07:35 PM
There's two versions of the cup, a smaller and a larger ones. If tampons are an issue for you though, perhaps the cup would be uncomfortable as well. Worth a shot though if you're willing to spend $20 on an experiment. (That's how much my cup cost anyways.) I have had no issues with the suction aspect. I mean, part of using a cup is knowing that you just don't pull it out, you have to pinch it first so it releases the suction. Other people have issues with sticking their fingers all up in there especially when it's bloody. I've been using those tiny o.b. brand tampons for ages so it wasn't much of a transition for me. A friend asked me for a tampon once a few years back and I noticed her apprehensive look when I pulled out the o.b. tampon, so then I said "I have a pad too if you want." (She chose the pad.)

I'm totally pro-cups, but do some research and watch some videos on techniques and such, because there is a learning curve. The first method of insertion I used wasn't very effective and caused leaks, then I tried another "fold" and that turned out better and I haven't had problems since.

Lew
03-07-2016, 02:31 PM
There's two versions of the cup, a smaller and a larger ones. If tampons are an issue for you though, perhaps the cup would be uncomfortable as well. Worth a shot though if you're willing to spend $20 on an experiment. (That's how much my cup cost anyways.) I have had no issues with the suction aspect. I mean, part of using a cup is knowing that you just don't pull it out, you have to pinch it first so it releases the suction. Other people have issues with sticking their fingers all up in there especially when it's bloody. I've been using those tiny o.b. brand tampons for ages so it wasn't much of a transition for me. A friend asked me for a tampon once a few years back and I noticed her apprehensive look when I pulled out the o.b. tampon, so then I said "I have a pad too if you want." (She chose the pad.)

I'm totally pro-cups, but do some research and watch some videos on techniques and such, because there is a learning curve. The first method of insertion I used wasn't very effective and caused leaks, then I tried another "fold" and that turned out better and I haven't had problems since.

see, we were just beginning the internet when i tried the cup, lol. it was alt.music.nin back then, so no videos how to do it. i admit i had/have problems putting my fingers inside of myself for any reason (triggers). so it was probably not the best choice for me, but i didn't know. i just could not pinch it properly to break suction and would have to haul it out (always complete with illogical visions of my uterus coming with it lol).
i liked seeing the blood, though, in a weird way. it made me realize how little we actually (or me, i guess, lol) bleed. my plants loved it lololololololol.
i wonder how different they are now?

halloween
03-07-2016, 07:00 PM
Ah, yeah, if that were the case for me, I would have probably would have abandoned the cup as well! Although mine came with instructions that mentioned the different folding methods, but I don't think it said anything about pinching it to get it out.

I watched a video of a lady who talked about using your pelvic muscles (as if you're gonna poop!) to help push the cup down when you're getting ready to pinch it to remove it, and that makes it so I don't have to stick my fingers as far up. This trick also helps when inserting it because then it ends up much higher than I was being able to get it before, which helps to avoid leaks. That's DEFINITELY not something that was mentioned in the little "manual", haha!

I absolutely love seeing how much I bleed and I'm fascinated seeing how the blood changes from the beginning to the end of the cycle. I can already judge that by the third night, I can sleep cup-free, and by the fourth day, I'm almost done with the cycle. I would almost consider just buying liners for my fifth/sixth day if it wasn't for the fact that I say a lot of money by NOT buying it and I can leave the cup in ALL DAY without any medical worries, unlike tampons which I used to literally freak out over after four hours thinking I was going to die of toxic shock syndrome.

ldopa
03-08-2016, 01:35 AM
i've been on depo provera for a little over ten years, recently when i re-upped the nurse suggested i go on the new 'norplant.' it has the same hormones as depo, but less "match sticks." (there's only one.) has anyone had any experience with it? i love depo, and have had no problems but she suggested the shot is becoming obsolete. or maybe i should nut up and get a tubal ligation. i really (for real) don't see children in my future. but i'm a creature of habit and bad with change. if it's not broken, leave it the fuck alone.

so my question(s) are has anyone here been on depo longer than me? or has anyone tried this alternative i described? (the trade name is beyond me right now)

edit 2: nexplanon

Lew
07-14-2016, 12:03 PM
blood bubbles.
whadda riot.
not.

playwithfire
10-04-2017, 09:59 AM
I'm back to considering sterilization again (which if I did I would 100% want a salpingectomy, I've done my research here), and weighing if I'm down to get monthly periods (uterine ablation is a big nope for me because of the long term risks) and deal with the d e p r e s s i o n pms brings on, compared to the increased fibrocystic breast problems and seemingly cranky circulation the pill creates. :/

playwithfire
04-18-2018, 11:11 AM
I'm so fucking torn about getting back on hormonal bc. I've been off of it for like 5 months and all the breast problems went away, but I'm really tired of spending a week a month as an unhappy, easily upset person. And my libido has been *dead* since like winter and I'm having a very hard time with that. :/ But, the boob stuff scares me.

allegro
04-26-2018, 09:44 PM
I'm so fucking torn about getting back on hormonal bc. I've been off of it for like 5 months and all the breast problems went away, but I'm really tired of spending a week a month as an unhappy, easily upset person. And my libido has been *dead* since like winter and I'm having a very hard time with that. :/ But, the boob stuff scares me.

Were you ever on a triphasic hormonal pill?

I have dense breasts, which means I have fibrocystic breast tissue, which means I'm 6 times more likely to develop breast cancer, so I not only have to have mammograms each year, I also have to have ultrasounds because mammograms can't see much in a dense breast.

I was also on the pill for over 20 years, primarily a triphasic. My OB/GYN also advised me to watch my diet (low fat, low alcohol, and also low caffeine for pain although I guess the jury's still out on that one).

edit: One thing I learned the hard way is that sleeping in weird positions and wearing a bra that is cute but causes pressure causes all kinds of discomfort in dense breasts; like, omg, I think I might have cancer kind of pain.

playwithfire
04-27-2018, 02:33 AM
Were you ever on a triphasic hormonal pill?

I have dense breasts, which means I have fibrocystic breast tissue, which means I'm 6 times more likely to develop breast cancer, so I not only have to have mammograms each year, I also have to have ultrasounds because mammograms can't see much in a dense breast.

I was also on the pill for over 20 years, primarily a triphasic. My OB/GYN also advised me to watch my diet (low fat, low alcohol, and also low caffeine for pain although I guess the jury's still out on that one).

edit: One thing I learned the hard way is that sleeping in weird positions and wearing a bra that is cute but causes pressure causes all kinds of discomfort in dense breasts; like, omg, I think I might have cancer kind of pain.

Monophasic and would typically skip the placebos, but I'd also fuck up the pill A LOT and I think that contributed to it. Getting back on it, I'm definitely going to commit to taking it when I wake up vs. other random times.

I also have fibrocystic breasts and did get a sonogram over the lumps a couple of years back, but the whole thing is just so obnoxious. Why do boobs need to be like this. :/ I also did *not* know that 6x fact. Christ. D:

Also like, wait what, are sonograms more effective? I can't for the life of me understand why we wouldn't standardize that. So much less painful, I'd imagine. Just a wand + pressure vs. the clampy thing (I'm 29 so haven't done the clampy thing just yet but I am not looking forward to clampy thing)

allegro
04-27-2018, 10:23 AM
Monophasic and would typically skip the placebos, but I'd also fuck up the pill A LOT and I think that contributed to it. Getting back on it, I'm definitely going to commit to taking it when I wake up vs. other random times.

I also have fibrocystic breasts and did get a sonogram over the lumps a couple of years back, but the whole thing is just so obnoxious. Why do boobs need to be like this. :/ I also did *not* know that 6x fact. Christ. D:

Also like, wait what, are sonograms more effective? I can't for the life of me understand why we wouldn't standardize that. So much less painful, I'd imagine. Just a wand + pressure vs. the clampy thing (I'm 29 so haven't done the clampy thing just yet but I am not looking forward to clampy thing)

There IS standardization, now, see lists of states here (http://www.diagnosticimaging.com/breast-imaging/breast-density-notification-laws-state--interactive-map) (it's somewhat outdated, there are more updated lists somewhere but I'm working on a home security system now, LOL, sorry). If you are determined to have “dense” breasts, they must now notify you (in writing) after your mammogram and advise you to get an ultrasound. Then, you get both the mammogram and the ultrasound automatically after that (I do same day). The new ultrasound machines are AWESOME, they’re automated, like a copy machine on your boob while you’re on your back, but they don’t hurt at ALL. Did you have that kind? The old kind was manual, with a tech using a hand-held and pushing it down rolling it on your boob, holy shit it was no fun. At the hospital I use for the new kind, they put a warm blanket on me while I’m getting it done, it’s like a friggin’ SPA. And the best part with the ACA is that they aren’t supposed to charge you a fortune for this shit, either. My insurance covers all of it. I believe this applies to you, too (https://www.itnonline.com/article/new-york-passes-insurance-bill-requiring-coverage-breast-screening-supplemental-imaging).

The clampy thing (mammogram) is now digital and still required and hurts if you’re dense / fibrocystic, but learn to TELL THEM THAT and they’ll be nice. I once had a tech who was learning the new digital machine and instead of letting UP on the vice grip, she went DOWN and clamped it harder; I had bruises on my boob for days; I cried in the hospital parking lot for 20 minutes, I was so upset. The next year, I told that tech what happened and if it hurts, I’m leaving and I’m never coming back for another mammogram so they better get this shit right. She was really nice, said that should have NEVER happened; she said taking a few ibuprofen first helps women like me and she said to tell techs if stuff hurts, etc. But, really, it has NEVER hurt bad again, so don’t worry, the digital is way better than the old way; I believe 35 is the "baseline" age for your first one, then you get them annually after that, so you have a while. But, you SHOULD do monthly self-exams, natch, so you know what is "normal" for you.

While I’m sitting there naked from the waist up, except for my pink gown, reading ancient magazines in the waiting room, wearing no antiperspirant (it affects mammograms), waiting for my name to be called, I remind myself that it’s ALL better than having breast cancer.

I used to take my BC right after brushing my teeth at night, I put them right by my tooth brush and tooth paste; I never ever skip that, and the visual of seeing them were reminders, a daily “routine,” which really helped me, for what it’s worth.

playwithfire
04-27-2018, 11:33 PM
Ooh, this is all hella helpful, thanks.

I'm really diligent about self exams since I typically just check what's going on in the shower, and I am dense/fibrocystic -- so I guess when I see my PCP I should ask about getting on a cadence, or if I need to.

The sono I had was with the rolly thing and a tech -- it also came with the special gowns and all that -- weird experience but once I should get used to, I suppose. And it's reassuring that they're not supposed to be painful! I'm so sorry you had such a shit experience with yours.

allegro
04-27-2018, 11:40 PM
Before the digital mammograms, they attached these metal stickers to your nipples, it was the weirdest shit. I guess it was for a "map" in the X-Ray. In the dressing room, you'd see these nipple stickers all over the floor, LOL LOL. But, those days are gone, no longer necessary with digital mammograms. But, they still have free deodorant in little envelopes in the dressing rooms.

It's mostly just boring and non-eventful, until you get a dreaded "callback." They say, can you come back in? Sometimes while you're in the waiting room, sometimes after you're at home. It's TERRIFYING. You have NO idea if it's for real cancer, or if it's just to double check something they're not sure about.

I've had TWO callbacks.

Both turned out to be nothing. I had to wait DAYS to get in after the callback each time, and it was anxiety beyond anxiety

My PCP is my Internist, but my mammograms etc. are handled by my Gynecologist, whom I have as my specialist for these types of matters, including my prior usage of BC pills, my breast problems, my hormonal issues, and any other nether region issues I've ever experienced (endometriosis, etc.); the BCs greatly helped the endometriosis. I wish you luck in getting your issues under control.

Sarah K
04-28-2018, 02:09 PM
I thought the mammograms didn't happen until you're in your 40s unless you have other risk factors.

I had a pretty big lump removed from my boob when I was 19 or something. I honestly just assume that I am going to have breast cancer at some point.

Sarah K
04-28-2018, 02:10 PM
Also, WHY IS IT 2018 AND THERE IS NO WAY FOR HORMONE INTOLERANT PEOPLE TO GET RID OF THEIR PERIODS?

This is a travesty.

allegro
04-28-2018, 10:49 PM
Good question: I keep asking why the only way we can test for breast cancer is by flattening our boobs in a copy machine but nobody has an answer. I asked my former GYN why we don’t have a tricorder machine like Dr Beverly Crusher on Star Trek where she scans you with a hand-held device and knows what’s wrong with you, but my Doc said hey, we still have MRIs that BANG BANG BANG so it’s not promising

My lifelong childhood friend had phlebitis in her teens so she could never be on any hormonal birth control, so she used a diaphram. She had two kids.

allegro
04-28-2018, 10:52 PM
I thought the mammograms didn't happen until you're in your 40s unless you have other risk factors.

I had a pretty big lump removed from my boob when I was 19 or something. I honestly just assume that I am going to have breast cancer at some point.
You get your first “baseline” mammogram when you’re 35, which establishes your “normal” and it stays in your records as a comparison in the future. Then you don’t start having regular annual mammograms until after you turn 40. The exception to that is if you have found an abnormal lump which turns out to be cancer before this schedule, then it’s changed.

Benign lumps don’t make you more susceptible to cancerous lumps, luckily.