PDA

View Full Version : Storm Corrosion (Mikael Åkerfeldt/Steven Wilson)

onthewall2983
01-27-2012, 09:44 AM
Announced release is April. Some more details were shared on their Facebook page this morning

Storm Corrosion will be issued on CD, limited deluxe double vinyl LP in gatefold sleeve with poster (which will be issued by Roadrunner, but curated by vinyl experts ToneFloat), and blu-ray. The blu-ray will include stereo and 5.1 mixes, demos and instrumental mixes, all at 96K high resolution. Confirmation of exact release date and pre-ordering info soon.

aggroculture
01-27-2012, 09:50 AM
This needed its own thread?
http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/225-Steven-Wilson-catch-all-thread-%28Porcupine-Tree-No-Man-Blackfield-Bass-Communion%29?highlight=porcupine

onthewall2983
01-27-2012, 09:57 AM
I think so, since it could easily be posted on the Opeth thread as well. Giving it it's own space makes it equal. If the mods don't feel this way, then by all means close it and I'll post about it there.

onthewall2983
03-09-2012, 04:37 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-qbYJBxv88-Q/T8FB0ge8emI/AAAAAAAABRc/vRhrknk7ldo/s1600/Storm-Corrosion.jpg

1. Drag Ropes - 9:52
2. Storm Corrosion - 10:12
3. Hag - 6:28
4. Happy - 4:53
5. Lock Howl - 6:09
6. Ljudet Innan - 10:20

Pre-Order starts today. Here (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/storm-corrosion-preorder-20120309) are the details.

Deadpool
03-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Somehow I missed the thread for this - whoops! But yeah, super excited for Storm Corrosion. Looks like it got pushed back a week or two? Or maybe that's just the physical release. In any case, it's not long now. I mentioned in the Steve Wilson thread how surprising the cover art is: I don't dislike it, I was just expecting lots of cold/dark blues and not so many warm colors. Anybody else reminded of Jane's Addiction when they see the cover?

So just to clarify, Steven and Mikael have never taken co-lead vocals on a song, right? I wouldn't be surprised if Steven maybe provided some back-ups on the Opeth records he produced, but this should be historic for their sharing of vocal duties alone. I really can't wait to hear it. The description of it being melancholy has me particularly excited. I would love to see Lasse Hoile shoot a video for these guys, too. That would be awesome.

onthewall2983
03-12-2012, 02:56 PM
You're right about Steven singing backup on some Opeth stuff, and I know Mikael sung backup on songs on both In Absentia and Deadwing. I actually don't think Steven is singing on any of it, just Mikael.

onthewall2983
03-19-2012, 01:00 PM
Website is live (http://www.stormcorrosion.com)

onthewall2983
04-04-2012, 09:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0_GvMyfd3A&feature=player_embedded

ViN
04-04-2012, 09:52 PM
I'm hoping they actually release a song from it before it leaks or comes out. I'm really looking forward to it, and all I've heard regarding this collaboration is a song called Wet Ribbon that Steven and Mikael recorded years ago around the time of In Absentia and Deliverance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TmHa9m47mI

Not expecting this album to sound like this. But if it did it would be amazing.

seasonsinthesky
04-05-2012, 11:04 AM
i don't think Mike ever touched "Cut Ribbon", actually — the demo from 2002 was SW-only with the intention of fitting in the project with Åkerfeldt, there was another version done a bit later and released through SW's (or was it PT's?) Myspace, and then this final version is still SW-only (it was recorded in the Grace for Drowning sessions).

onthewall2983
04-13-2012, 10:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=M0lQN6pczbY#!

henryeatscereal
04-13-2012, 01:37 PM
This is going to be an awesome record, love Opeth and Porcupine Tree, i think its going to be a mix between "Blackwater Park" and "Fear of a Blank Planet", can't wait to hear it!

think i'm a fire engine
04-13-2012, 02:35 PM
This is going to be an awesome record, love Opeth and Porcupine Tree, i think its going to be a mix between "Blackwater Park" and "Fear of a Blank Planet", can't wait to hear it!

Yes totally, except every indication is that it will not sound much like either of those two records at all.

henryeatscereal
04-13-2012, 02:52 PM
Yes totally, except every indication is that it will not sound much like either of those two records at all.

well if they want to surprise me, they're welcome! SW last solo album sounds different from "Fear of a Blank Planet" that's for sure and the last Opeth album has a 70's prog direction so maybe that's a more accurate description of what we'll hear... still im hoping for elements of "Blackwater Park" and "FOABP" in the album, mostly because i love those records

eversonpoe
04-13-2012, 02:53 PM
well if they want to surprise me, they're welcome! SW last solo album sounds different from "Fear of a Blank Planet" that's for sure and the last Opeth album has a 70's prog direction so maybe that's a more accurate description of what we'll hear... still im hoping for elements of "Blackwater Park" and "FOABP" in the album, mostly because i love those records

all of the interviews (some above) and reviews of the album describe it as being lush and orchestral, light on the drums, and very, very dark.

henryeatscereal
04-13-2012, 03:10 PM
i gotta check the interviews, thanks

onthewall2983
04-16-2012, 07:17 PM
I'm glad very little has been released so far. Makes the anticipation even more great. I don't expect this to set the world on fire, but considering what's been said about how this is basically the third in a trilogy of albums that include Grace For Drowning and Heritage, I am excited to hear what they both have in store.

henryeatscereal
04-16-2012, 10:48 PM
I just saw Steven Wilson live last weekend and he debuted a new track called "Luminol" or something, it's pure no holds barred prog, i think Storm Corrosion is going to make Ian Anderson blush!!!

plus: New interview about the writing process

http://www.planetrock.com/news/rock-news/exclusive-interview-with-storm-corrosion/

eversonpoe
04-17-2012, 01:51 PM
^ that interview was already posted earlier in the thread. also, right on that page, it says "Their self titled debut album is released on 7 May and its style can best be described as orchestral, ambient and epic." that doesn't sound proggy at all.

onthewall2983
04-17-2012, 01:55 PM
Actually, the video on the page now is new, about the writing process.

henryeatscereal
04-17-2012, 02:06 PM
^ that interview was already posted earlier in the thread. also, right on that page, it says "Their self titled debut album is released on 7 May and its style can best be described as orchestral, ambient and epic." that doesn't sound proggy at all.
Gezz, the "new" interview is from the same sessions but this bit wasn't released, i know that they said the new album is going to be "orchestral, ambient and epic" that's just a description, it could easily fit as "Prog", still none of us has listened to the album so dont act like you know more about me because you dont

eversonpoe
04-17-2012, 02:35 PM
Gezz, the "new" interview is from the same sessions but this bit wasn't released, i know that they said the new album is going to be "orchestral, ambient and epic" that's just a description, it could easily fit as "Prog", still none of us has listened to the album so dont act like you know more about me because you dont

please understand that i wasn't getting personal or criticizing you (i've seen you post in a lot of the same sections of the board as me and you seem pretty cool)...i was just stating that everything that has been said about this album in the interviews and early descriptions leads me (and many others) to believe it's not going to sound very much like prog rock or either of their two main bands...it's going to be very unique.

henryeatscereal
04-17-2012, 02:44 PM
please understand that i wasn't getting personal or criticizing you (i've seen you post in a lot of the same sections of the board as me and you seem pretty cool)...i was just stating that everything that has been said about this album in the interviews and early descriptions leads me (and many others) to believe it's not going to sound very much like prog rock or either of their two main bands...it's going to be very unique.
hey no problem here! just getting "emotional" understand i come from a Wrestling forum, hahahaha...

I agree with you, and talking about "unique" it's a shame Steven and Michael are not looking beyond the release of this album :(

onthewall2983
04-20-2012, 05:05 PM
SW posted on his Facebook today that the 10-minute video for the opening track "Drag Ropes" will be released by the end of the month.

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g457/Roadrunner_UK/drag_2_b.jpg

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g457/Roadrunner_UK/drag_1_b.jpg

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g457/Roadrunner_UK/drag_5_b.jpg

onthewall2983
04-23-2012, 02:20 PM
It'll premiere on the official RoadRunner YouTube page at 4pm UK time (11am EST).

ldeaf2
04-23-2012, 05:23 PM
Came home and drip drip! So stoked to give this a few listens tonight!

henryeatscereal
04-24-2012, 10:15 AM
Awesome track and video, cant wait for the album!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZhP9Mtxo5c

darktemplar007
04-24-2012, 10:15 AM
*edit* ah damn you beat me to it by seconds haha

onthewall2983
04-27-2012, 04:33 PM
Great video, and the song is quite mind-blowing. The harmonies, arrangement, guitars, strings. Everything just perfect. May 8th can't come quick enough.

Piko
05-07-2012, 08:08 AM
I couldn't resist the leak. This album's amazing! Definitely buying this tomorrow.

henryeatscereal
05-07-2012, 08:42 AM
I couldn't resist the leak. This album's amazing! Definitely buying this tomorrow.

im tempted, but if i download it Steven Wilson will destroy my iPod...

think i'm a fire engine
05-07-2012, 08:59 AM
It's really dark. I think that's what was missing from Heritage.

Piko
05-07-2012, 01:46 PM
Very dark. I'm really enjoying this though. Not your typical album.

onthewall2983
05-08-2012, 06:13 AM
Really impressed on the first listen. That doesn't happen often. I'm on the last track now, and damn does Mikael show his range vocally. I could kind of tell it was him, but if I had no idea about this project I'd be floored if you told me. On Steven's end, this really feels more in the vein of Insurgentes than Grace For Drowning. It's really an unfair comparison, but the minimalist approach to such a wide range of instruments is more present here than it was on the latter of those two records.

Trains
05-09-2012, 10:08 AM
An amazing record, full of gorgeous sounds, subtle textures and absolutely brimming with ideas. I love it.

onthewall2983
05-09-2012, 10:34 AM
"Lock Howl" was the real surprise, I didn't expect an instrumental track. I was also surprised Steven sang on more of the material than Mikael, as I was pretty sure SW was just going to do everything but the guitars and singing.

pulse
05-11-2012, 11:48 PM
This album is fucking brilliant. The title track is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I have heard in years. And Mikael straight up pulls a Marvin Gaye on Ljudet Innan. Totally unexpected. I had no idea he had that kind of vocal range. I had hopes this would be something really odd and unusual and it is absolutely that in a nutshell. I'll be listening to this for a long time.

You've got to hear the 96kHz 24bit LPCM 5.1 mix on the Blu-ray. Might I suggest some really excellent wine or anything else that suites your tastes. That is all.

Goldfoot
05-17-2012, 10:26 PM
Somehow, though I'm a HUGE fan of both Opeth and Porcupine Tree, I managed to forget this was being released. I saw someone mention it in the Album Recommendations or What Are You Listening To? thread (or maybe both). I've decided that I am going to write down my thoughts as I listen to it for the first time.

I'm listening to the first song now (Drag Ropes), and it's pretty cool. There's some vocal techniques here that I've never heard from either of them. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it might take some getting used to. I'm definitely hearing each person's style in terms of the music, and I fucking love it. This is very atmospheric and rich.

Onto the second track now (Storm Corrosion), and I really like the subdued tone this album has thus far. Though I love me some percussion, it's very interesting that there's almost none of it. It allows for the music to have a much softer tone to it. Though now there's actual drums, whereas the last song seemed to only have brass in it. I wonder if the amount of percussion will slowly build, track to track, and culminate in a really heavy section, then trail off, mirroring the buildup. I think that would be pretty badass and shit. Wow, that was a really neat effect entering the last two minutes of this song.

And now the song Hag. And now I'm hearing some snare, along with the brass and toms. The guitars even got heavier, but the drums are a bit muted. That may have been the section I was hoping for, but time will tell if there's any others like it. I like the people in the background.

Onto track four, which is titled Happy. Somehow I don't think the music is going to portray the mood the title suggests.

Track five is titled Lock Howl and I don't know what I even think that suggests in terms of how this will sound. Starts off nicely, though. This one sounds like a storm is coming. It is so much a blend of their styles, I can't tell which one I think it sounds more like. And now there's like four different melodies going at the same time. Definitely liking this, though I'm not sure I like how it ends.

The last track is called Ljudet Innan, which I imagine is Swedish for something depressing. Based on the first minute or so, I wouldn't say that I'm wrong. It's a very mellow, drawn out piece that I might even describe as contemplative. The last two minutes are simply beautiful.

In conclusion, I really liked it upon first listen. I'm sure I will be listening to it a lot more in the future, and if my history with the rest of their stuff is any indication, I will only like it more each time I hear it.

onthewall2983
05-23-2012, 04:34 PM
Currently #47 on Billboard's Top 200, #18 on Rock Albums, and #4 on Tastemaker Albums.

henryeatscereal
05-23-2012, 10:47 PM
Currently #47 on Billboard's Top 200, #18 on Rock Albums, and #4 on Tastemaker Albums.
Welcome to the Twilight Zone i guess...

On Topic: Just heard the album while driving nightly in a dark and desolate highway, it was beautiful/frightening...

onthewall2983
12-06-2012, 08:29 AM
Grammy-nominated for Best Surround Mix.

henryeatscereal
12-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Grammy-nominated for Best Surround Mix.
It's the third time? or fourth time he has been nominated?
I hope he wins, i could care less about the Grammy's but is a well deserved mainstream acclaim, he's slowly getting recognition without having to sell himself...

onthewall2983
12-06-2012, 08:56 AM
He isn't up against The Beatles or Derek & The Dominoes so it's a more even playing field this year.

onthewall2983
10-31-2013, 04:14 AM
Giving the album a spin right now. Perfect for a gloomy rainy October morn.

henryeatscereal
10-31-2013, 10:40 AM
Giving the album a spin right now. Perfect for a gloomy rainy October morn.
Its a bit sunny around these parts but i'll give it a spin in the afternoon! (right now the weather is so nice i'm listening to Dire Straits, lol)

onthewall2983
09-28-2015, 06:29 PM
Mikael joined Steven and his band on stage at the Royal Albert Hall for a performance of "Drag Ropes" tonight.

pulse
09-28-2015, 07:40 PM
Mikael joined Steven and his band on stage at the Royal Albert Hall for a performance of "Drag Ropes" tonight.
So damn jealous. That had to be stunning.