PDA

View Full Version : Random score thoughts

Pages : [1] 2

sheepdean
01-26-2012, 06:46 PM
For thoughts of score most random

How awesome would it be for Tratticus to do Peer Gynt, Opus 23 (the piece that In The Hall Of The Mountain King is from) in full?

GoodSoldier333
10-18-2012, 10:00 AM
"Impromi...IMPROVISE a little."

"My wonderful lif....WIFE."

Love that guy.

wizfan
10-20-2012, 09:20 AM
How awesome would it be for Tratticus to do Peer Gynt, Opus 23 (the piece that In The Hall Of The Mountain King is from) in full?

Tratticus worked so hard on In The Hall Of The Mountain King that Trent said "I almost got divorced because of that song. It was like, 'if I ever hear that song again'..." If they make the entire thing, Mariqueen will probably murder them.

talkingnothing
11-12-2012, 06:00 PM
saw bond last night... would be sweet if TR/AR scored the next one, with theme by NIN. won't happen, but man...

Shnoorum
11-12-2012, 07:51 PM
saw bond last night... would be sweet if TR/AR scored the next one, with theme by NIN. won't happen, but man...

That would be very odd. Particularly the theme song. I couldn't imagine Trent singing in that particular style that Bond themes are so well known for...

sheepdean
06-05-2013, 07:09 AM
Atticus is going to be at the LA Film Festival doing a Coffee Talk. Tickets: http://www.lafilmfest.com/festival-event/coffee-talks-composers/#.Ua8pYUCG2So

If anyone goes and feels like recording it, that would be totally cool~*cough*

cynicmuse
06-09-2013, 01:17 AM
Atticus is going to be at the LA Film Festival doing a Coffee Talk. Tickets: http://www.lafilmfest.com/festival-event/coffee-talks-composers/#.Ua8pYUCG2So

If anyone goes and feels like recording it, that would be totally cool~*cough*
Thanks for posting about this; it should be interesting. I'm not sure if I'll be able to record it, but I'll see what I can do.

cynicmuse
06-17-2013, 12:28 AM
The Coffee Talk was really interesting (http://www15.zippyshare.com/v/93977635/file.html). There was a person with a video recorder in the front row, so there may be some video clips posted on the LA Film Festival website later this week. I saw some people whom I've seen previously at NIN concerts, but the audience was mostly film makers and composers.

The three composers were Brian Taylor (Iron Man 3, Fast Five, The Expendables), David Sardy (Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengenance, End of Watch, Zombieland), and Atticus Ross. The panel was moderated by Doreen Ringer-Ross from BMI. All three have different backgrounds in music and composition. Brian Taylor has done mostly film work, while David Sardy has done production on a bunch of albums, and Atticus Ross has done a mix of both.

Here's a summary of the questions and AR's responses, along with the time codes; if he didn't answer the question, I haven't listed it. The coffee talk was about 45 minutes of discussion between the composers and the moderator, followed by 15 minutes of Q&A from the audience. The responses of the other two composers were interesting and funny and I think that it's worth listening to the whole discussion. Taylor especially had some funny cracks about people basically using his previous music for temp music and him being forced to essentially copy himself, or how he'd hear music in a film and realize that it was something that he had written previously and that the studio had licensed for another film. He also talked about writing a score when sections of the film had no visuals, just text that said "space ship flies by" for nine seconds. AR seemed to have had more control over the music and sound design than the other two, but he's also worked with only two directors. It also could have been the type of films that he has worked on as well. He also seemed to be more interested in art for the sake of art.

The first question asked was how they got into music and film composing.
(7:34) AR talked about about his childhood, how he got a degree in art history, and the interplay between music and art. He then discussed how he had connected with Trent Reznor/NIN through 12 Rounds, along with some bitching about the legal mess that resulted in the still unreleased 12 Rounds record.

The next question was about the use of temp music for film scores and whether the composers were composing music after seeing the movie with the temp track.
(20:35) AR said that he had mostly used the script for composing and that he'd usually gotten involved before the film was shot, so he didn't use a temp track.

This question was about how the director gave direction to the composer.
(30:15) A director told him that the music "... should sound like a screaming bird."

The next question was about weaving together sound design and the music. This question showed the difference in control over sound design and music between the three; Sardy and Taylor both focused on the music working around the elements of sound design like explosions. For example, Sardy said "There's a lot of bombs going off here, you might want to stay high." However, I don't think that there have been many explosions in the films that AR has done.
(32:43) AR talked about how the sound of the floor cleaner before the blowjob scene in TGWTDT was worked into the music leading into the scene.

The next question was if they tended to study the masters to get ideas.
(35:50) AR talked about this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgXLEM8MhJo) in which Angelo Badalamenti discusses the composition of Laura Palmer's theme from Twin Peaks.

The next question asked about how styles of music go in and out of fashion and how the availability of digital recording equipment for low cost has made music more egalitarian.
(42:12) AR talked about how the current recording technologies have leveled the playing field. However, he didn't think that they had lead to better music. He said that great music is timeless and then cited the sound tracks from Taxi Driver, Midnight Express, and Risky Business.

At this point there was a Q&A session.
Someone asked how composers connected with the director.
(45:07) AR responded that the score was a collaboration between director and composer.

Someone asked about how much control the composer had over the score during the editing process.
(47:28) AR said that he could insist on there not being a music editor, at which point Sardy said, "You can?" AR definitely seemed to have had more control here... I'm not sure if it was due to the directors with which he has worked, the type of movies on which he has worked (aka not summer block busters like IM3), or if there were fewer people working on the music in these films.

Someone asked what the earliest stage was that the composer had become involved with the process.
(51:32) As AR had previously stated, he had been involved after the script was written but before the movie was shot.

Someone then asked about how foreign tax credits were influencing the choice of composer and the location where music was recorded (aka not in LA). I'm not involved in the film or music industry, so I hadn't realized that this was a problem for musicians in the area.
(57:14) AR agrees with Taylor's assessment that music is being recorded elsewhere due to these tax credits, and they are affecting the music industry.

At this point the moderator wrapped up by asking the composers to share their one piece of advice for aspiring film composers.
(59:26) AR said that you have to be happy with being able to write music and then put it in a drawer and no one else seeing it; you have to be happy doing art for its own sake.

eversonpoe
06-17-2013, 08:14 AM
At this point the moderator wrapped up by asking the composers to share their one piece of advice for aspiring film composers.
(59:26) AR said that you have to be happy with being able to write music and then put it in a drawer and no one else seeing it; you have to be happy doing art for its own sake.

i have tried to maintain this attitude in regards to my music for the entire 12 years i've been writing & recording. it's really hard, sometimes, but if you make music that YOU really want to hear, then its definitely its own reward.

Erik
06-17-2013, 12:46 PM
Many thanks to cynicmuse for the comprehensive coverage of the Coffee Talk. I had tickets already to see Atticus' little brother Leopold and IO Echo in San Francisco, else I would have tried to make the trip myself.

sheepdean
06-17-2013, 07:49 PM
The Coffee Talk was really interesting (http://www34.zippyshare.com/v/27426177/file.html). There was a person with a video recorder in the front row, so there may be some video clips posted on the LA Film Festival website later this week. I saw some people whom I've seen previously at NIN concerts, but the audience was mostly film makers and composers.The file isn't up anymore, can you re-up (I'll happily put it onto my google drive if you're worried about copyright stuff)

Thanks for the upload and info though!

fillow
09-09-2013, 09:04 AM
Dragon Tattoo and Social Network can be a perfect background music for reading books.
For example, I'm currently deep into Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Smilla's_Feeling_for_Snow) and combined with TGWTDT music, it just gives me goosebumps. The setting of the book (Denmark/Greenland) match the tone of music perfectly.

icecream
10-28-2013, 03:44 PM
I think it would be fun and interesting if Trent and Atticus did a score for a Pixar movie. My random though..

onthewall2983
11-06-2013, 08:46 PM
I'd like to see Atticus score Michael Mann's upcoming Cyber as it's the kind of high-tech thriller I think either he or Trent (who's busy elsewhere obviously) would be perfect for.

sheepdean
02-11-2014, 06:32 AM
So all three TRAR scores will be to films based on books. I don't know if that means anything. But that's statistically unusual.

fillow
02-11-2014, 06:56 AM
Three films isn't enough for statistics, I'd say. This is also not so much TRAR scores, but rather David Fincher project choices.
And does it really surprise you? I mean, Hollywood is running out of good original ideas, hence relying more on adaptations.

WorzelG
02-26-2014, 11:13 AM
David Fincher is directing a biopic on Steve Jobs. Wonder if they'll ask T&A to do the score?

http://www.slashfilm.com/david-fincher-direct-aaron-sorkins-steve-jobs-biopic/

sheepdean
02-26-2014, 11:26 AM
David Fincher is directing a biopic on Steve Jobs. Wonder if they'll ask T&A to do the score?

http://www.slashfilm.com/david-fincher-direct-aaron-sorkins-steve-jobs-biopic/
I think Trent would throw himself into that, he's got a macboner after all

WorzelG
02-26-2014, 11:38 AM
I think Trent would throw himself into that, he's got a macboner after all
I'm really fed up with apple right now after I upgraded my iPad to ios5 and everything just keeps crashing, it's driving me mad

gorast
02-26-2014, 11:42 AM
That biopic already sounds so, so much better than the Ashton Kutcher one. It would be awesome if Trent and Atticus continued their streak of Fincher films.

sheepdean
04-08-2014, 06:58 PM
http://www.screendaily.com/festivals/other-festivals/lisa-cholodenko-named-laff-guest-director/5070550.article?blocktitle=HEADLINES&contentID=40295

Los Angeles Film Festival will present a series of Master Classes, kicking off with composer Atticus Ross, who will perform an original electronic soundscape created for the festival and discuss his creative process scoring films such as The Social Network and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

So, jealous of everyone who can go, bring a recording device if you do, etc

cynicmuse
04-09-2014, 01:28 AM
This should be fun. I'm glad I stayed on the mailing list for LAFF. I'll definitely do my best to get a ticket. I really enjoyed his coffee talk last year.

sheepdean
04-09-2014, 02:35 AM
This should be fun. I'm glad I stayed on the mailing list for LAFF. I'll definitely do my best to get a ticket. I really enjoyed his coffee talk last year.
If you can smuggle in a recording device for the whole thing, I'll owe you a pint

cynicmuse
04-09-2014, 03:56 AM
I'll give it a shot. I should have access to ticket pre-sales tomorrow.

BRoswell
04-15-2014, 11:37 AM
After experiencing beautiful weather this past weekend, Mother Nature decided to shit all over that and give us an inch of snow last night. Slightly depressed, I decided to do something today that I haven't done in a while: listen to the entire Girl With The Dragon Tattoo album from beginning to end.

BRoswell
04-21-2014, 12:46 PM
Does anyone happen to know what's being said in the last third of Eventually We Find Our Way? There's a female voice speaking under all the layers (ala A Warm Place), but for the life of me I can't quite make out what she's saying. That's probably the intent, but I figured the geniuses on this here board should have cracked this one by now. :p

WorzelG
05-03-2014, 10:40 AM
^^^when I listened to that on my train commute to work I would always have to take my headphones off as it sounded like a train announcement.
my random thought - I would love for Trent and Atticus to score a straight up horror film rather than just the thrillers they seem to be doing of late

sheepdean
05-07-2014, 10:46 PM
Standalone tickets are onsale for Atticus' talk/music thing at LA Film Fest http://filmguide.lafilmfest.com/tixSYS/2014/xslguide/eventnote.php?EventNumber=9094

Still happy for someone to buy me a plane ticket to go.

cynicmuse
05-16-2014, 12:46 PM
I've got my ticket. The masterclass will be on Friday June 13 at 8pm at the Grammy Museum. Tickets go on sale to the general public on May 20th.

Erik
05-20-2014, 11:46 AM
General Public tickets for the Atticus Ross Music in Film: A Sound Journey master class are now on sale.

http://filmguide.lafilmfest.com/tixSYS/2014/xslguide/eventnote.php?EventNumber=9094

sheepdean
06-12-2014, 06:23 PM
Was there ever a null number given to the promotional downloads for TSN and TGWTDT?

gorast
06-12-2014, 07:29 PM
The samplers? I don't think so.

lyzaard
06-16-2014, 02:35 PM
I attended the Masterclass. It was one of THE most inspiring musical performances I've ever seen. The interview was awesome too. Fun to see Rosamund Pike, Brooke Langton, and Allen Hughes in the audience too. What a night. Best $20 I've spent in many many years! Atticus rules.

wizfan
06-22-2014, 01:35 PM
I'm currently scoring a short film. Today, I listened to TGWTDT for inspiration and I began toying with prepared piano samples. I'm now in love with prepared piano. I understand why Trent and Atticus used it so heavily in Tattoo.

Fangster_
06-23-2014, 01:52 AM
Spotify is driving me nuts with its two separate artist pages for T&A, one for each score. Wonder if I should just email them in ALL CAPS.

sheepdean
06-23-2014, 01:56 AM
Spotify is driving me nuts with its two separate artist pages for T&A, one for each score. Wonder if I should just email them in ALL CAPS.
It's not spotify, it's tunecore - they're kinda bad at what they do

BenAkenobi
06-23-2014, 02:06 AM

Dear Sir or Madame,

SPOTIFY IS DRIVING ME NUTS WITH ITS TWO SEPARATE ARTIST PAGES FOR T&A, ONE FOR EACH SCORE.

Sincerely,
Fangster_

Reznor2112
06-23-2014, 12:55 PM
Dear Sir or Madame,

SPOTIFY IS DRIVING ME NUTS WITH ITS TWO SEPARATE ARTIST PAGES FOR T&A, ONE FOR EACH SCORE.

Sincerely,
Fangster_

I always did think tits and ass should be on the same page…wait…are we on the same page?

BRoswell
07-08-2014, 04:02 PM
I think I've finally figured out what the voices are in the background on Eventually We Find Our Way. It sounds like dialogue from the scene it plays in. There's a lot of reverb on the surround sound version, so I can't make out what they're saying, but it does sound like Jesse Eisenberg and Rooney Mara to me. Not sure if it was a mistake on Trent and Atticus' part or just another cool sound idea, but it works.

sheepdean
07-18-2014, 11:34 AM
Does anyone know who won this? http://fuckyeahatticusross.tumblr.com/post/21643110457/sheepdean-charity-ebay-auction-for-signed-sheet

simonn
07-19-2014, 07:44 AM
Until today I had no idea that there was a 5.1 Blu Ray audio of TSN, for fucks sake. The only place I appear to be able to buy it is from Nullco, and their webpage is fucked. Have aletered the powers that be, so hopefully this will get sorted soon. For those that have it, is it as awesome as I'm assuming?

[73]
07-19-2014, 08:10 AM
For those that have it, is it as awesome as I'm assuming?
I took the Blu-ray disc and inserted it into a very modest 5.1 speaker system. I enjoyed the results much more than the standard CD version.

[73]
07-19-2014, 08:16 AM
Does anyone know who won this? http://fuckyeahatticusross.tumblr.com/post/21643110457/sheepdean-charity-ebay-auction-for-signed-sheet

I wouldn't be surprised if the winner bought it only because they collect rare academy award winning memorabilia. I think if an ETS member won it, we would have read about it by now.

sheepdean
07-19-2014, 10:07 AM
Until today I had no idea that there was a 5.1 Blu Ray audio of TSN, for fucks sake. The only place I appear to be able to buy it is from Nullco, and their webpage is fucked. Have aletered the powers that be, so hopefully this will get sorted soon. For those that have it, is it as awesome as I'm assuming?
It was sold out a long time ago, and now goes for a pretty penny. It's also the only physical version of the soundtrack I own :P

Vertigo
07-19-2014, 11:04 AM
Were the vanilla and awards sampler versions just too physical (for you)?

sheepdean
07-19-2014, 11:36 AM
I have no idea why I've not bought the CD version other than it's money spent on a worse quality version of an album I already own. And I'd love the award show sampler, if you've got a copy, feel free to send it to me :P

Vertigo
07-19-2014, 12:08 PM
I could slap a "For Your Consideration" label onto my Baby One More Time single.

Scarlet Siren
07-23-2014, 11:41 PM
I think I'm more excited for the Gone Girl score than I was for Hesitation Marks. Hmmm....

BRoswell
08-01-2014, 05:05 PM
We don't really have a "score spotting" thread, so I'll post this here:

https://vine.co/v/MEEwPaXXHhn

wizfan
10-18-2014, 08:41 AM
Regarding the bashing that TRAR's scores get by film score critics: what annoys me the most is the assumption these people make: if TRAR are not composing in a traditional style, they must have very limited musical skills. "They're rock stars, they just play loud guitars, they have no idea about what Alan Silvestri or Alexandre Desplat can do".

onthewall2983
10-18-2014, 09:05 AM
Or more specifically they're rather jaded against electronic scores, or composers who employ modern recording techniques like they do. Some of that specific criticism is valid, but not as it applies to TRAR.

Frolick Shiawase
10-23-2014, 05:13 PM
Gone Girl's score has been on constant repeat in my computer, and I have not watched the movie as of right now...
They did give me the poster of the movie, though... It was retired from the local cinemas, so I snagged it before they disposed of it.
It's a nifty way to start my Trent/NIN collection, IMO.

WorzelG
10-25-2014, 07:30 AM
Regarding the bashing that TRAR's scores get by film score critics: what annoys me the most is the assumption these people make: if TRAR are not composing in a traditional style, they must have very limited musical skills. "They're rock stars, they just play loud guitars, they have no idea about what Alan Silvestri or Alexandre Desplat can do".
The worst was that Film Tracks review of TSN - he really seemed to think a score should highlight every single thing happening on screen in a real Peter & the Wolf sense. He complained the score didn't bring out the humour, but then when discussing the obviously humorous set piece rowing scene he said they weren't bringing out the 'determination' enough - just facepalm, it's a throwback to finchers music video days, stylised! It's like his lack of acknowledging any of this stuff was bordering on boorish

blassster
10-26-2014, 09:02 PM
I am going to play the Quake soundtrack (some tracks edited), a few tracks from TGWTDT and a few from GG in my porch on Halloween night. I've been meaning to do this with Quake for a while. Got a boomy Bluetooth speaker I can easily throw somewhere with an old phone playing it back. Should make things spooky.

Aywok
10-27-2014, 03:38 AM
I am going to play the Quake soundtrack (some tracks edited), a few tracks from TGWTDT and a few from GG in my porch on Halloween night. I've been meaning to do this with Quake for a while. Got a boomy Bluetooth speaker I can easily throw somewhere with an old phone playing it back. Should make things spooky.

Nice. You should loop Consummation and see if you can really scare some kids on Halloween.

onthewall2983
12-06-2014, 05:22 PM
Anyone else thinking Trent and/or Atticus might be involved with Fincher's new project at HBO? I know he used someone different for House of Cards, but he only directed two episodes so far.

onthewall2983
12-23-2014, 11:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSAF9_ZHjfc

Also featuring Marco Beltrami and John Powell.

WorzelG
12-23-2014, 12:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSAF9_ZHjfc

Also featuring Marco Beltrami and John Powell.

Hans Zimmer seems to have a very similar relationship to Christopher Nolan, that Trent / Atticus do with David Fincher.

slave2thewage
12-23-2014, 07:42 PM
Just got the dispatch email from Modlife. Great time of the year to start sending these out!

sheepdean
01-09-2015, 12:32 AM
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/santa-barbara-film-festival-announces-full-program-artisans-awards-1201396045/

TRAR are getting an award, but it seems to be for more than just GG so I put it here.

I have never heard of these awards, anyone know if recipients attend traditionally?

sheepdean
01-19-2015, 01:25 PM
As Atticus has a competent distro company now ( http://www.dmpgroup.com/2015/01/downtown-signs-academy-award-winning-film-composer-producer-atticus-ross/ ) I wonder if the unreleased score work will finally get some daylight?

sheepdean
07-15-2015, 01:36 PM
http://www.nerdacy.com/2015/07/15/fear-walking-dead-atticus-ross-composer/

Don't think it deserves its own thread as it's only theme for the titles, but Atticus is doing the theme for "Fear the Walking Dead"

WorzelG
07-15-2015, 02:17 PM

Don't think it deserves its own thread as it's only theme for the titles, but Atticus is doing the theme for "Fear the Walking Dead"
Thats a fantastic coup for Atticus!

sheepdean
08-05-2015, 06:17 AM
http://www.worldsoundtrackawards.com/en/awards

Totally forgot the WSA voting was on - the Public Choice awards can be voted on by anyone, and Gone Girl & Love and Mercy are both options.

Ryan
08-05-2015, 08:54 PM

Damn! It better be as epic as the one for the regular show version.

blitzkrieg
08-20-2015, 11:54 AM
Check out the first 3 minutes of Fear The Walking Dead.
I don't know if the very end of the sequence can gives clues about the Atticus' Theme
https://www.facebook.com/FearTWD?fref=ts

blitzkrieg
08-31-2015, 03:03 AM
Here is a leak of fear the walking dead's theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v58guaOOwSQ

m15a
09-03-2015, 01:47 AM
The main Fear The Walking Dead score is "not Atticus Ross", right?

sheepdean
09-03-2015, 08:33 AM
The main Fear The Walking Dead score is "not Atticus Ross", right?
Yeah he only did the theme - it's basically a precursor to him fully scoring Robert Kirkman's next series, OutCast

m15a
09-03-2015, 05:24 PM
Yeah he only did the theme - it's basically a precursor to him fully scoring Robert Kirkman's next series, OutCast
Thanks. I wanted to make sure I wasn't fooling myself, thinking that the soundtrack of the show sounded like a bad Trent & Atticus ripoff. (Although maybe those are just the parts that stand out to me.)

wizfan
10-27-2015, 09:16 PM
I'm getting such a "Painted Sun in Abstract" vibe from this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTXCu3kIu88

BRoswell
10-27-2015, 09:24 PM
I'm getting such a "Painted Sun in Abstract" vibe from this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTXCu3kIu88

Yes! I just saw the film two days ago, and when I heard this particular piece, I got a bit of deja vu. I have to wonder if they used that track when they were working on the film...

wizfan
10-28-2015, 08:47 PM
Yes! I just saw the film two days ago, and when I heard this particular piece, I got a bit of deja vu. I have to wonder if they used that track when they were working on the film...

Possibly. "Drive" (2011) used TSN music as temp tracks, and Steven Soderbergh used TSN and Tattoo tracks for his black-and-white-and-silent version of Raiders of the Lost Ark, so I suspect directors love using TRAR's scores for all their temp/ambient needs.

BRoswell
12-06-2015, 08:52 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bre2ut0gv4I

sheepdean
12-07-2015, 04:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bre2ut0gv4I
I guess they need a bit more cash! I'll actually back this time, annoyed that I missed it before anyways.

RocketScience
01-10-2016, 01:59 PM
So I'm quite sure Bobby Krlic, The Haxan Cloak, has become Atticus Ross's go to guy (in addition to Leopold Ross and Claudia Sarne) when not scoring a project with Trent. Triple 9 would mark their third collaboration, previously having worked together on blackhat and Crocodile Gennadiy. I'm very much in love with this fact, The Haxan Cloak is definitely one of the more interesting talents to emerge during recent years.

sheepdean
01-10-2016, 02:18 PM
So I'm quite sure Bobby Krlic, The Haxan Cloak, has become Atticus Ross's go to guy (in addition to Leopold Ross and Claudia Sarne) when not scoring a project with Trent. Triple 9 would mark their third collaboration, previously having worked together on blackhat and Crocodile Gennadiy. I'm very much in love with this fact, The Haxan Cloak is definitely one of the more interesting talents to emerge during recent years.
Haxan Cloak and Leo are both playing moogfest this year too, seems they're swimming in the same circles

Ryan
01-11-2016, 06:59 AM

During the first season of FTWD I didn't ever really hear a theme, just a foreboding sound as the title screen was shown. Am I missing something here?

sheepdean
03-23-2016, 05:28 PM
http://filmmusicreporter.com/2016/03/23/tnts-animal-kingdom-to-feature-theme-by-atticus-ross-score-by-alexis-sam/

wizfan
03-23-2016, 06:26 PM
http://filmmusicreporter.com/2016/03/23/tnts-animal-kingdom-to-feature-theme-by-atticus-ross-score-by-alexis-sam/

The man is EVERYWHERE.

sheepdean
03-24-2016, 02:39 PM
Tempted to make a thread for Atticus interviews at this point

Anyways, http://www.awardscircuit.com/2016/03/24/interview-oscar-winning-triple-9-composer-atticus-ross-thrives-collaboration/

And the tl;dr for people who only care about TRAR:

You only seem to collaborate with Trent Reznor on David Fincher films when it comes to scores. Is that a sacred relationship or simply a coincidence for now?

You might see something else.

I assume you’re working on his next one, whatever that may be.

Well, Trent and I are working together at the moment and things will be revealed when the time comes. That’s all I can say, but I’m very excited on the work we’re doing. It doesn’t matter what’s going on even if we’re completely on disparate things, we always do one day a week together. It’s been an amazing journey and obviously he’s my best friend.

eversonpoe
03-24-2016, 10:10 PM
It’s been an amazing journey and obviously he’s my best friend.

atticus is the cutest and i wish he was my best friend :}

Deadpool
03-25-2016, 03:48 PM
atticus is the cutest and i wish he was my best friend :}

That line about them being bffls is the most adorable quote ever. I love imagining the cool things they create together when they're on different projects. <3 <3 <3

bobbie solo
03-27-2016, 12:56 AM
this isn't good news if the work they're doing is for NIN. I think Trent needs to completely shake up everything on this next NIN project. Get completely out of his comfort zone and do not fall into the non-aggressive, repetitious, loopy work he's been doing with Atticus for far too long. It does not seem like that is the case at all though. Not good.

onthewall2983
04-17-2016, 01:18 PM
How fucking cool would it be if Affleck got them for his Batman movie?

hologram parade
04-21-2016, 03:55 PM
Im sure its been brought up before, but I would love if TR\AR did the score for the Blade Runner sequel

Deepvoid
04-25-2016, 12:54 PM
David Fincher will direct the premiere of Mindhunters and serve as EP for the series.
Was wondering if this could be the "other stuff" Trent was talking about. Scoring a TV series would be something new to try.
I guess time will tell.

WorzelG
04-25-2016, 02:05 PM
David Fincher will direct the premiere of Mindhunters and serve as EP for the series.
Was wondering if this could be the "other stuff" Trent was talking about. Scoring a TV series could would be something new to try.
I guess time will tell.

It could give an opportunity to win an emmy and get him three quarters of the way to EGOT!

bobbie solo
04-25-2016, 08:33 PM
or...ya know...Twin Peaks.

onthewall2983
04-26-2016, 09:09 PM
Badalamenti was not on that list, so unless it was an oversight that he wasn't included it's possible.

Hopefully they can get Vangelis for the Blade Runner sequel, but I'd love it if Jóhann Jóhannsson was doing it. His work on Sicario in particular made an immediate impression.

Mindhunters would be a terrific fit for TR/AR. Would be interesting to see how their work could translate to the format of serialized television.

elevenism
04-26-2016, 10:02 PM
I wonder how much of the TR/AR scores and the modern NIN sound are actually AR.

sheepdean
04-26-2016, 10:27 PM
I wonder how much of the TR/AR scores and the modern NIN sound are actually AR.
It really varies on what you're listening to - if it's wandering piano, that's Trent 100%. If it's programmed beats, 100% Atticus. And everything inbetween is a big ol' mixture.
Compare Hand Covers Bruise (No Piano) and Hand Covers Bruise basically

elevenism
04-26-2016, 10:37 PM
It really varies on what you're listening to - if it's wandering piano, that's Trent 100%. If it's programmed beats, 100% Atticus. And everything inbetween is a big ol' mixture.
Compare Hand Covers Bruise (No Piano) and Hand Covers Bruise basically
whoa, goddamn, seriously? Atticus makes all the beats.
What a trip. Thanks Sheepy.

emptydesk
04-28-2016, 06:39 PM
Is there some sort of interview where it's stated that AR exclusively does "beats"? That seems far-fetched to me.

sheepdean
04-28-2016, 06:41 PM
Is there some sort of interview where it's stated that AR exclusively does "beats"? That seems far-fetched to me.
He doesn't exclusively do beats, but he does most of the beats. Much like Trent doesn't just do guitar and piano, but he does most of that.

Note his role on most nin albums is programmer, a role Trent never holds

emptydesk
04-29-2016, 06:34 AM
"Programmer" seems like it could be a nebulous term in NIN-world. Like, Keith Hillebrandt would make entire textures and soundscapes that ended up on THE FRAGILE. It could also mean co-ordinating software and hardware and making sure anything called upon is ready to go on demand.

Then there's what we've seen is that AR records TR live performances and takes, TR goes out for lunch and comes back to see that AR has reconstructed an entirely new track from those takes.

I can only assume it's a catchall because each song or project has varying workflows.

wizfan
04-29-2016, 08:17 AM
Trent has said that he is more of a performer than a programmer these days, improvising on instruments or creating loops, and Atticus is the "computer guy" who collects it all and puts song structures together.

fillow
04-29-2016, 10:15 AM
That just confirms my fears... TR really needs to drop Atticus from the next NIN record and invite some new people on board. You know, just for the change. Keep him for scores and HTDA though.

Incoming facepalms in 3.. 2.. 1

WorzelG
04-29-2016, 10:32 AM
That just confirms my fears... TR really needs to drop Atticus from the next NIN record and invite some new people on board. You know, just for the change. Keep him for scores and HTDA though.

He did that for the last record and invited the Arcade Fire guy to be a producer and obviously thought it sucked. He talked at length about it on the In Conversation With extra worrying that he was getting too comfortable with Atticus and Alan Moulder

sheepdean
04-29-2016, 11:36 AM

Atticus needs to drop Trent from the next NIN record tbh, get some new blood in

Khrz
04-29-2016, 12:12 PM
Nine Inch Nails with the leader of Error at the helm ? I came.

sheepdean
04-29-2016, 12:28 PM
Nine Inch Nails with the leader of Error at the helm ? I came.
NIN really need to cover Brains Out tbh, just to crush Closer as the most pole-dancable NIN song

wizfan
04-29-2016, 12:50 PM
nin really need to cover brains out tbh, just to crush closer as the most pole-dancable nin song

ḷ̷̺̟͓ͧͬ̿̓ͮ͛ͦ̌̐͋͋̔͒̒ͧ́ę̷̷͚̰̮̩͉͇̱͆ͨ͒ͯͥ͐͆͋́ͭ̔̓̎̏ͬ͡ͅ ̣̝̝͕t̸̺̬̦͈͇͈͉͎͈̟̞̪̪̅̂̾̓̇ͨͣ͌̽ͣͮ̂ͪ̔̉͂̉ͬ̀'ͫ̂ͪ̽̈́̋̽̋̐̍̐ ̐ͮͦͮ̔̀̔ͪ͏̧҉̭͕̯͙ş̡̙̙̜̩̺͕̞͇͓̬̤͖̺̰ͯ̾̏̐ͬ̔͊ͧ̆̿̄̍ͩͮͤ̂͗̋ ͈̺̗ ̦͉͎̰̜̯̮̼̣̖̣̠̥̜̳̘͓̇̑ͧ̔ͪ͆̓́ͩ̈ͣͥͬ̂͘̕j̴̨̧̅̅̌͋ͦ̒̔̋ͩ̈͛̔͘ ͇͚͔ͅů̮͎̙̮̳̱̺̤̞̺͙̦̓̓ͧͮͦ̅͟͞s̳̙̲͙͕̖͎͔̜͔͙͙̀ͦ͋͛͗̐̐͠t͛͊ ̶̧̛͍̗͍̲̜̲͕̳͂́͌̈́̑ͪ͑͜ ̵̨̫̺̤̻̖̠͈̟͙̟̹̮̣̫̥͓͍͇ͥͧ͊̉́ͥ̿̐͌͒̐ͪ̅͂ͬ̉̾̃͠ͅf͐ͪ͌͛͛̃͂̚̚ ͗ͬͫ̏ͤ͑̂́͢͜҉̤̠̘̜̯̲̦̙͖͙̭̰͈̫u̴͂͊̈͑͑ͣͤ̾͗͋͐̓͌̇̆̾̍̉͏͎͉͕̳ ̬̼̟͉͎̩̳̳ͅc̷͖̤͎̲̰̼͔̯̯̭̹̭̟̝̺̫͕͈ͬ̉ͬ̆̌̇̋̊̅͞ͅk̸̨̡̺̔ͮ̾͗ͥ ̥̖̘̬̘̣͓̫̖͚͕͎̞̖̪̟͎ ̧͖̦̫̬̰ͦͤͯ̓̽͛ͧͣͦ́ͬ́̆̀ͦ͟͝ͅǫ̸̨̝͓̣͈̣̝̱̹̣͎͈̞̞̀ͤ̔̓ͧ͡u̒̎ ̡̢̛̖͚̜̤̳̗̗ͮͯͪ̀ͤ̏̏̐̿̃͠r̵̨̹̹͓͓̠̫̊́̆̀̃̒̆ͮ͊̇ͨ͂̂͂́͡ ̪ ̛̻͖̩͎̞̣̼̱͖̬͉̬̹̠͗̀̐̔͌͛̀̔ͨ̚͘͘b͓̖̟̣̥̯̘̹̼̭̌̋̓ͥ̅ͤ̈́̔̃̕͢͠ ̳r͂̃̂̍̽ͫ̎̐̐͂̅͢҉̠̖͎̞̼̦̞̞̦͓̘̫͕͉̬̥ͅͅȃ̛̘ͪͩͣͪͩͦ̐̋ͫͬ̿͢͠ ͎̟̬̯͓͙̗̮͔̺i̳̰̬̠ͤ̽̀ͥ͒͋̇̓̕ņ̊̆̄ͨ̾ͨ̃͐ͪͮ̌ͥ̌̚͜͏̸̹̠͔̪̰͜ͅ ̯̖͔s̤̲̗͇̃̐̉̽́̎͋ͣͧ̋̂̉͆̇́̚̚ ̴̴͔͈͔̮̼͌̒̋̋͒ͥ̄̋̄̊ͧ͂̌̚͘o̶̟̫͍̘̅̈ͮ̄ͣ̅̽̀̍͝uͨ̽̋ͪͩ̐̾̓̃͗̚ ̴̵̱͚̹̯̹̫̬̝̏̆̚̕tͭ̃̃ͫͯ͊̀ͧ͛͂ͮ̂͗͊͗̿ͬ̊̊͘͏͕̘̦̼tͤ̋͊ͦ̒͑͒̾͒ ̸̠̬̹̭̗̫͕͓̜̻̤͖̱͙͑̏ͩ͗ͦ́́́͘t̢̢̜̱͕͙̳͒̍̾̍ͬ͌̃ͅt̥̑ͧ̌ͯ̏ͪ̕͢ ̝̤͙͉̯̠̭̟̻̟͓̳̫̫̦̟t̷̨̨̡͎̪̲͙̺̮̜͇͉͕ͫ̆̑ͪͯ͋͐̏̏͒̓ͪ͑̊͐ͮ͊ͥͥ t̷̛̞̯͕͈̹̠̫̞̜̙̩̞͇̘̮͐̈́̎ͮ̑ͬ͟͠

Bachy
05-11-2016, 02:59 PM
Ranking all of the songs the two have composed for film, I'd have to put Intriguing Possibilities at #1, and it really isn't close.

xfocalinx
06-29-2016, 11:42 AM
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/juno-single/id1128945204

"Juno" By Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross... anyone know anything about this??

definitely sounds like them.

DVYDRNS
06-29-2016, 12:49 PM
its maybe probably for twin peaks

Toadflax
06-29-2016, 12:51 PM
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/juno-single/id1128945204

"Juno" By Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross... anyone know anything about this??

definitely sounds like them.

Seems legit... or I just spent 99 cents on a nice ambient track by a really good faker.

What do we think? First guess would be soundtrack, but it seems weird they'd release it as a single with no mention of the movie it's tied to. Another option is they've made an instrumental album together (possibly a soundtrack that never went forward). It could just be a standalone single, but it doesn't seem meaty enough for that.

witte
06-29-2016, 12:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgEsf4QcR0Q

&

https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/media-gallery/jupiter-orbit-insertion

BRoswell
06-29-2016, 01:01 PM
Annnndddd it's gone from iTunes.

icklekitty
06-29-2016, 01:26 PM
I've managed to purchase it on my phone and it's still there but indeed I cannot download it on my PC.

xfocalinx
06-29-2016, 02:09 PM
I managed to Download it. PM me for it.

Microwave Jellyfish
07-10-2016, 11:02 AM
http://i.imgur.com/qqB5BEr.png

eversonpoe
07-18-2016, 03:41 PM
have a friend who's going through a rough time right now so i made her a mix the other day. put driver down on there because i still think it's one of the best things trent has ever done. it's also insane to me that it was created around the same time and for the same soundtrack as the perfect drug, since it is so drastically different.

ninlive
08-15-2016, 09:24 PM
So, with the "For Your Consideration" versions for each score, does any of them have additional tracks that didn't make the main cut? Or just some had different titles?

Substance242
08-17-2016, 01:13 AM
I'll put it here...

Atticus Ross On The Role Of Music And Sound In Film
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2016/08/16/atticus-ross-on-the-role-of-music-and-sound-in-film/

SarahConnor
08-21-2016, 09:38 PM
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/22270-almost-holy-ost/

I find this Atticus-only soundtrack encouraging re: new music, if he is occupied with a soundtrack then he's likely got extra material for consideration. That excess as music makers know can produce other projects, Angels or NIN. If Reznors not on this soundtrack then perhaps he's relegated himself to the band.

eversonpoe
08-22-2016, 09:49 AM
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/22270-almost-holy-ost/

I find this Atticus-only soundtrack encouraging re: new music, if he is occupied with a soundtrack then he's likely got extra material for consideration. That excess as music makers know can produce other projects, Angels or NIN. If Reznors not on this soundtrack then perhaps he's relegated himself to the band.

the more i listen to atticus' scores that trent doesn't have a hand in, the more i wonder how much trent is really doing when they work on stuff together. atticus is fucking brilliant.

SarahConnor
08-22-2016, 12:49 PM
I think that Reznors handles the production, rhythm sections & dissonance, which are the strengths of NIN. I'll have to give this record a listen, but the other Ross LP I've heard left me with the impression of a trad-sounding Hollywood production. I'm happy for Reznor in that he's found collaborators and a pal that are on the same level. Ross is great

sweeterthan
09-09-2016, 02:52 PM
http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/09/trent-reznor-gustavo-santaolalla-mogwai-team-up-for-film-score-and-collaborative-album/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vertigo
09-09-2016, 03:42 PM
With Reznor and Ross also serving as the music supervisors, the group worked in tandem to “compose a blend of music with a cohesive vision, resulting in the score for Before the Flood along with an album to be released in October.”

!!!

Other stuff!!!

wizfan
09-14-2016, 10:00 PM
So, Tony Zhou of Every Frame a Painting has made two (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vfqkvwW2fs) excellent (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEfQ_9DIItI) videos of soundtracks resembling other soundtracks which were probably used as temp, so I tweeted to his Sounds Like Temp (https://twitter.com/SoundsLikeTemp) account about the similarity between TSN's "Painted Sun in Abstract" and The Martian's "Making Water". Let's hope he responds!!!

ryanmcfly
10-07-2016, 11:11 PM
I think it's crazy that the deluxe edition of the Dragon Tattoo score hasn't sold out yet.

Arcspiral
10-08-2016, 12:37 AM
I think it's crazy that the deluxe edition of the Dragon Tattoo score hasn't sold out yet.

Where are you finding it for sale for under $500? Cause I would totally buy it...

ryanmcfly
10-08-2016, 01:34 AM
Where are you finding it for sale for under $500? Cause I would totally buy it...

Lol. Nevermind. I'm a dumbass. If you lick on it on nullco's site, it says it's out of stock. I blame it on the lack of sleep.

totom
10-13-2016, 04:35 AM
This statement could also be in threads like "Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions" or "Random NIN Thoughts" but here is my confession:

I actually never listened to any other TR/AR soundtrack than "The Social Network" (I also listened to Juno and both covers by Karen O and HTDA as they don't count as a soundtrack material really). The main reason being I don't want to listen to any soundtrack before I see the movie. And the drawback is I barely see any movie nowadays except when I take a plane (barely once a year). And it's not like I don't like TSN soundtrack, I actually listened to it more than most NIN albums since its release.

Am I the only fan stubborn enough to remain trapped in that situation? :P

fillow
10-13-2016, 05:30 AM
I also didn't listen to any soundtrack material (even free samplers) before the movies, but I watched all thee movies during their first or second week of theatrical run.
I barely ever check any singles posted online before the full album is available for any band, for that matter.

r_z
10-13-2016, 05:51 AM
In my opinion listining before/without seeing the movie doesn't take away from the music or the film.

TGWTDT especially (as I've not listened to GG yet) is a great score, but it's great music, too!

totom
10-14-2016, 04:19 AM
I'm sure about that it's great music but I can't. And as I also love Fincher's movies, so it's like on top of my list for movies I want to watch. That's most probably because I don't want to spend my own spare time watching a movie alone and that's not the first thing I want to do anyway when I have 2 hours of time on my own.

jmtd
10-24-2016, 05:07 AM
NIN have released 8 studio albums (excluding Broken and I guess Still) and TR has worked on 7 soundtracks (including NBK and LH, but excluding Juno, Bullet Man).

So obviously you can jitter both counts a little but we're rapidly approaching the point where he'll have done more soundtrack work than NIN studio work.

slave2thewage
10-24-2016, 05:25 AM
Anyone know when this is showing in UK/Ireland?

Also, loving the soundtrack. I feel that it's the most refined of the TR/AR soundtrack work on a musical level.

Vertigo
10-24-2016, 08:42 AM
Anyone know when this is showing in UK/Ireland?

Also, loving the soundtrack. I feel that it's the most refined of the TR/AR soundtrack work on a musical level.

Sunday 9pm, both National Geographic and NatGeo Wild for some reason.

WorzelG
12-14-2016, 12:26 PM
So Before the Flood isn't in 2017 Oscars eligibility list, but A Minute to Breathe is eligible in the song category. Patriot's Day is eligible
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.billboard.com/amp/articles/news/7624427/2017-oscars-145-original-scores-eligible?client=ms-android-samsung

Dimitri.
12-19-2016, 05:53 AM
Is this where people are discussing the TR/AR "Vietnam" soundtrack? Couldn't find it elsewhere.

https://play.spotify.com/user/johnkraw/playlist/4sEW8tCPsKapD5tqAmCI0J

Trent & Atticus recorded a soundtrack for a movie called "Vietnam" (the album in the Spotify playlist made by John Crawford is called "Vietnam WIP 2-5-16")

Here's the tracklist:

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/663490TRARVIETNAM.jpg
*03 - Other Ways to Get to the Same Place

In the same playlist, there is an album called "Breadwoman & Other Tales", by Anna HOMLER and Steve MOSHIER, released in february. Here's a documentary about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssf7fR5bfeU

bobbie solo
12-19-2016, 12:08 PM
Steve MOSHIER

So, so metal.

implanted_microchip
12-25-2016, 12:33 PM
It seems to have not been noted yet, but if you go to the discography section on nin.com, Gone Girl mentions that it's " THEIR PERSONAL FAVORITE FILM SCORE."

eversonpoe
01-13-2017, 09:10 AM
"Hypomania" makes me super uncomfortable. more than any other piece of music either of them have written, and probably moreso than any piece of music any other artist i like has written. it is so deeply unsettling.

WorzelG
03-23-2017, 03:52 AM
Atticus and Leopold Ross are scoring a manga Netflix film released on August 25th. Wonder how this fits in with the NIN tour
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Note_(2017_film)

sheepdean
04-19-2017, 10:12 AM
Can't find anything outside of iMDB but apparently the boys are scoring "The Black Ghiandola" which is some all star charity film?http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6244528/combined

Jon
04-20-2017, 09:24 AM
Can't find anything outside of iMDB but apparently the boys are scoring "The Black Ghiandola" which is some all star charity film?http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6244528/combined

The Cannes website (http://sub.festival-cannes.fr/SfcCatalogue/MovieDetail/d4b59795-fa83-4e43-9965-e970f0e4c819) backs up that info.

EDIT: so does Richard Chamberlain's official page.

Deepvoid
04-20-2017, 10:48 AM

Looks like it's a short so don't expect a separate release for the score.

Jon
04-25-2017, 09:51 AM
Post (http://leonardmaltin.com/johnny-depp-and-zombies-make-a-boys-dream-come-true/) on Leonard Maltin's site about "The Black Ghiandola".

niggo
04-28-2017, 02:19 AM
David Fincher is officially directing the World War Z sequel with Brad Pitt.

Post-apocalyptic zombie music by Trenticus?

Jon
05-13-2017, 11:38 AM
Cross-post from the "ninwiki" thread. Reposting here because of relevance, consolidation, and overall OCD:

BEFORE THE FLOOD SOUNDTRACK

01 - Before The Flood = 130 BPM
02 - A Minute To Breathe = 116 BPM
03 - Between Two Poles = 74 BPM
06 - And When The Sky Was Opened = 66 BPM
08 - Trembling = 125 BPM
11 - At Dusk = 137 BPM
12 - Thin Ice Reimagined = 74 BPM
13 - Disappearing Act = 146 BPM
15 - 8 Billion = 135 BPM
16 - One Perfect Moment = 70 BPM
17 - A Minute Later = 89 BPM

PATRIOTS DAY SOUNDTRACK

01 - Them And Us - 178 BPM
02 - We Forget Who We Are = 71 BPM
03 - The Place You Are Right Now = 132 BPM
04 - Inquiries = 72 BPM
05 - Trails = 76 BPM
06 - Broken Glass = 102 BPM
07 - Nobody Cares About Me = 88 BPM
08 - The Night Drive = 120 BPM
09 - Escape = 120 BPM
10 - Terminus = 169 BPM
11 - Long Shadows On The Street = 67 BPM
12 - Resolve = 126 BPM

cynicmuse
06-07-2017, 11:56 PM
Atticus Ross will be one of the composers at this year's "Coffee Talk" at the LA Film Festival. I've got my ticket! I guess this means that I need to finally get around to listening to the soundtrack for Patriot's Day.

WorzelG
07-14-2017, 03:08 AM
David Fincher is officially directing the World War Z sequel with Brad Pitt.

Post-apocalyptic zombie music by Trenticus?
trent said in the iTunes interview they were weighing up some film score offers, hope its this one. A horror themed blockbuster score would be a new experience surely?

sheepdean
07-14-2017, 05:04 AM
Atticus Ross will be one of the composers at this year's "Coffee Talk" at the LA Film Festival. I've got my ticket! I guess this means that I need to finally get around to listening to the soundtrack for Patriot's Day.
Psst. Sneak in a recording device, they're not recording this year's one

Toadflax
07-14-2017, 05:31 PM

This was a month ago.

Toadflax
07-14-2017, 05:39 PM
trent said in the iTunes interview they were weighing up some film score offers, hope its this one. A horror themed blockbuster score would be a new experience surely?

I'm sort of confused that Fincher is taking on a sequel to a ho-hum blockbuster. I guess if the sequel ends up being a masterpiece, I'd want T&A to score it, but otherwise I'd rather they take on something more interesting.

Toadflax
07-14-2017, 05:50 PM
P.S. WWZ2 hasn't even entered production yet, which means they won't be looking for a composer for quite some time.

cynicmuse
07-14-2017, 08:28 PM
The event was interesting, but I didn't hear anything that I hadn't heard at the previous two LAFF events. The previous Coffee Talk had 3 composers and this one had 4. There was less time for each composer to speak.

sonic_discord
07-15-2017, 01:32 AM
I'm sort of confused that Fincher is taking on a sequel to a ho-hum blockbuster. I guess if the sequel ends up being a masterpiece, I'd want T&A to score it, but otherwise I'd rather they take on something more interesting.
I have to say, I agree with you (and maybe TR has the same reservations, which is why he's not sure if he's doing it yet). The first movie was fairly mediocre. Brad Pitt was good, but the CGI zombies kind of killed it for me. Also, if he's going to continue to work with Fincher (and I hope they do, it's a perfect match and he's my favorite director in Hollywood), I'd almost rather it be something more unique and interesting as well.

P.S. WWZ2 hasn't even entered production yet, which means they won't be looking for a composer for quite some time.
True, but that doesn't mean that Fincher hasn't asked them about it/offered it to them, especially given their relationship. I'm still wondering about that Fight Club musical...

acrid avid jam shred
07-29-2017, 04:52 AM
How cool would it be if Trent and Atticus created a soundtrack for a game? I can see their style working well with a cinematic Naughty Dog game, or even a fast and frenetic Doom-esque FPS.

sheepdean
07-29-2017, 08:13 AM
How cool would it be if Trent and Atticus created a soundtrack for a game? I can see their style working well with a cinematic Naughty Dog game, or even a fast and frenetic Doom-esque FPS.
A doom-esque FPS scored by Trent sure would be cool :P

But I would love to hear them work on one, listening to the ambient filler from Comes Forth In The Thaw's stuff from Dragon Tattoo shows they know how to make a soundscape, more than just a straight score.

And considering how they work in a same soundscape as Graeme Norgate, get them to do the Timesplitters reboot!

acrid avid jam shred
07-30-2017, 08:31 AM
I can't think of many videogame soundtracks that have stood out in recent times for me, apart from Gustavo Santaolalla's score for The Last of Us, which was brilliant. Who knows, maybe there's a developer out there right now hoping to get T&A involved with their project...

Oh, forgot to mention that HEALTH's soundtrack for Max Payne 3 is another one that's fantastic.

sheepdean
07-30-2017, 09:29 AM
I can't think of many videogame soundtracks that have stood out in recent times for me, apart from Gustavo Santaolalla's score for The Last of Us, which was brilliant. Who knows, maybe there's a developer out there right now hoping to get T&A involved with their project...

Oh, forgot to mention that HEALTH's soundtrack for Max Payne 3 is another one that's fantastic.
Second Sight
Okami
Doom (2016)
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
Farcry 4
Farcry Blood Dragon
Watchdogs 2
Gone Home
Scanner Sombre

(I could go on)

There's amazing ones out there - just gotta keep an ear out

muse-lyre candy
08-03-2017, 06:34 PM
on a recent road trip my son and i listened to some soundtracks. he likes the book of eli best and i like the social network best.

sheepdean
08-03-2017, 06:44 PM
on a recent road trip my son and i listened to some soundtracks. he likes the book of eli best and i like the social network best.
Your son wins

implanted_microchip
08-05-2017, 03:21 PM
Before the Flood has some of their best instrumental work ever. Gustavo really adds something to the mix and I hope they collaborate again.

onthewall2983
08-05-2017, 09:21 PM
The music on Netflix's Ozark owes the worst kind of debt to Trent and Atticus. As well as Dave Porter too, because of the obvious comparisons to Breaking Bad, but it felt like during the show whenever it goes to a score cue it's just lots of clicks and bangs and booms that feel lifted from TRAR's repetoire.

clarktrent
10-08-2017, 01:47 PM
The Gone Girl OST is halloween incarnate

PhoenixML
10-11-2017, 09:24 AM
So do we have anything on Death Note soundtrack by Atticus and Leopold?

sheepdean
10-11-2017, 06:46 PM
So do we have anything on Death Note soundtrack by Atticus and Leopold?
Signs point to no right now

opal
11-16-2017, 04:34 AM
Funny how some of their score work is now my go-to music to put my little baby boy to sleep. :D

Deacon Blackfire
03-17-2018, 05:35 PM
A few days before the recent BBC interview, someone on reddit made a (since deleted) post with a list of 11 tracks that they claimed were from an upcoming NIN "LP", and despite how dubious the source, others have since pointed out that the track titles that were listed are registered to ASCAP. But while the OP seemed to think this would encompass the next NIN release, to me they looked a lot more like the kind of track titles Trent and Atticus have for their scoring work...

Might be that at least one of those "sizable projects" in scoring Trent mentioned to BBC is closer than we think.

EDIT: If you're curious about the tracklist PM me, I'm not sure posting it would be kosher.

Ruined
03-28-2018, 01:47 PM
I've been binging The Path (very good show, IMO) and noticed the score was very similar to Atticus/Trent's score work. I was surprised to see that the score was by some other guy: the keyboard work, in particular, just sounds like the score from TSN.

SchwarzerAbt
03-28-2018, 03:49 PM
I watched "The Captain" in cinema recently. Some of the score is quite electronic and particularly one scene near the end is very TR/AR-like. At first I thought they reused some material, but I couldn't spot it in the credits.

The film is scored by Martin Todsharow.

Shunt
03-28-2018, 04:17 PM
Currently listening to TGWTDT on CD, and my OCD is having a hard time with the lack of consistency in tags for scrobbling in last.fm along the different soundtrack albums. The Social Network and TGWTDT CDs have "Atticus Ross; Trent Reznor", as artist, but Gone Girl has an "unknown artist"one, while the most popular iteration in last.fm is "Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross". Not good for stats. Wish I could edit the tags easily while listening to the CDs.

sheepdean
03-28-2018, 08:04 PM
Currently listening to TGWTDT on CD, and my OCD is having a hard time with the lack of consistency in tags for scrobbling in last.fm along the different soundtrack albums. The Social Network and TGWTDT CDs have "Atticus Ross; Trent Reznor", as artist, but Gone Girl has an "unknown artist"one, while the most popular iteration in last.fm is "Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross". Not good for stats. Wish I could edit the tags easily while listening to the CDs.
Isn't that based on your rip though? All of their albums are on last under the correct name of Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross https://www.last.fm/search?q=trent+reznor+and+atticus+ross

Shunt
03-29-2018, 03:42 AM
Isn't that based on your rip though? All of their albums are on last under the correct name of Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross https://www.last.fm/search?q=trent+reznor+and+atticus+ross

I know there's a "correct" Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross page, and that most user listens refer to that page. Problem is, I'm listening directly from the original CD, so I can't edit the metadata, and the aforementioned are the tags I get by default. I could rip them and edit my own tags, but I'd like to avoid the hassle and save some space in my hard drive.

eversonpoe
03-29-2018, 08:29 AM
I know there's a "correct" Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross page, and that most user listens refer to that page. Problem is, I'm listening directly from the original CD, so I can't edit the metadata, and the aforementioned are the tags I get by default. I could rip them and edit my own tags, but I'd like to avoid the hassle and save some space in my hard drive.

if you are using itunes you can actually edit the metadata before you rip the CD...but i'm not sure if you're using itunes.

fillow
03-29-2018, 08:42 AM
^^
That's that thing, he isn't ripping the CD.
Anyway, one of these days last.fm will implement proper mergers/redirects... a feature that has been added and broken a million times by now (currently there only a redirect from '&' version to 'and' version). Until then, the only solution would be to manually delete all the wrong scrobbles and then fake the correct ones via Universal scrobbler or just scrobble from the ripped files with fixed tags. That's what I actually always do - my mp3 player (walkman) doesn't support scrobbling so I scrobble everything I listened in it from PC, while not actually listening (like just leave it on mute while I'm away). Yes I'm weird like that.

eversonpoe
03-29-2018, 09:19 AM
^^

no, i know. i just meant that it will let you edit the metadata on the page where the CD in the drive shows up.

sheepdean
03-29-2018, 10:48 AM
On all services I've ever used, metadata is easily editable, ID3 tags are just plaintext. Check where the program is getting the info from, might be a shitty source

Shunt
03-29-2018, 12:31 PM
^^
Anyway, one of these days last.fm will implement proper mergers/redirects... a feature that has been added and broken a million times by now (currently there only a redirect from '&' version to 'and' version). Until then, the only solution would be to manually delete all the wrong scrobbles and then fake the correct ones via Universal scrobbler or just scrobble from the ripped files with fixed tags. That's what I actually always do - my mp3 player (walkman) doesn't support scrobbling so I scrobble everything I listened in it from PC, while not actually listening (like just leave it on mute while I'm away). Yes I'm weird like that.

Yeah, I've done that, but it's so tedious I gave up. Implementing native editing couldn't be that hard, could it?

On all services I've ever used, metadata is easily editable, ID3 tags are just plaintext. Check where the program is getting the info from, might be a shitty source

Thanks so much, I tried that before, but it seems I desisted before I could find the right fields to edit. Tags are correct now!

BRoswell
04-10-2018, 08:01 PM

BRoswell
04-16-2018, 02:46 PM
Barry Jenkins (director of last year's Best Picture winner "Moonlight") lists Gone Girl in his top ten favorite film scores:

Bachy
04-23-2018, 09:36 PM
I really hope Trent & Atticus are doing some work on the Halloween score.

BRoswell
04-23-2018, 09:43 PM
I really hope Trent & Atticus are doing some work on the Halloween score.

Looks like they aren't. John Carpenter said somewhere that he was doing it with his son and godson.

Bachy
04-23-2018, 09:47 PM
Yeah, I’d heard that. I just hope they’re involved in some way.

WorzelG
04-24-2018, 12:16 AM
I’m hoping they’re going to be doing the World War Z zombie film that Fincher has signed up for. TRAR + zombies sign me up

BRoswell
04-24-2018, 11:42 AM

Looks like this isn't a new interview (most likely taken from the Score documentary), and it's only a small part in the middle of the podcast, but still...

fillow
05-05-2018, 03:16 PM
I really miss listening to TRAR scores in the actual theater. Patriots Day and Before the Flood weren't in the theaters in my area, so it's been a long wait since Gone Girl.

Lerxto
05-09-2018, 01:17 AM
I'd really love to see The Walled Off Hotel being released sometime soon (with the 3rd EP if possible), not necessarily on vinyl. Digital only release would be okay with me.

sheepdean
05-09-2018, 07:10 PM
I'd really love to see The Walled Off Hotel being released sometime soon (with the 3rd EP if possible), not necessarily on vinyl. Digital only release would be okay with me.
...huh? Why would you prefer digital only, digital as an option I get but why would you want a smaller release?

Lerxto
05-09-2018, 09:09 PM
...huh? Why would you prefer digital only, digital as an option I get but why would you want a smaller release?
Of course I'd love to see a wider, physical release but considering how long the Patriots Day on vinyl + hi-res audio is being teased, I'd take digital only over vinyl since they must have the hi-res files already on one of their hard drives.

Reznor2112
05-10-2018, 08:44 AM
Of course I'd love to see a wider, physical release but considering how long the Patriots Day on vinyl + hi-res audio is being teased, I'd take digital only over vinyl since they must have the hi-res files already on one of their hard drives.

I keep bugging Lakeshore Records about Patriots Day and their only response is to 'like' my comments...

Annoying as hell. I just really hope it doesn't get shelved. The ONLY thing I can think of is that they is an issue with the track listing as far as time fitting onto the the 2 LPs and they are working on an alternate sequence...OR...they are happy with the pressings.

Really hope it comes out eventually.

Damage
06-07-2018, 05:16 PM
I keep bugging Lakeshore Records about Patriots Day and their only response is to 'like' my comments...

Annoying as hell. I just really hope it doesn't get shelved. The ONLY thing I can think of is that they is an issue with the track listing as far as time fitting onto the the 2 LPs and they are working on an alternate sequence...OR...they are happy with the pressings.

Really hope it comes out eventually.

Good job on pressing the issue!

TheBang
06-07-2018, 06:21 PM
Good job on pressing the issue!
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/002/144/fry.jpg

Lerxto
06-20-2018, 02:56 AM
Now that Bad Witch is out, what TR/AR releases should be released next?
So far the materials that we know they exist but haven't got an official release are:
Patriots Day (Vinyl)
Quake (Vinyl)
The Walled Off Hotel
The Fourth Estate (Theme Song)
The Black Ghiandola

Anything missing?

sheepdean
06-20-2018, 03:48 AM
Now that Bad Witch is out, what TR/AR releases should be released next?
So far the materials that we know they exist but haven't got an official release are:
Patriots Day (Vinyl)
Quake (Vinyl)
The Walled Off Hotel
The Fourth Estate (Theme Song)
The Black Ghiandola

Anything missing?
Patriots and Quake, the others I don't see getting one

Lerxto
06-20-2018, 05:15 AM
Patriots and Quake, the others I don't see getting one
Hope they do, The Walled Off Hotel being the most likely candidate. Green Lines had an artwork and a track number.
The Walled Off Hotel also had a very interesting concept - NIN & TR/AR songs reimagined on piano.
And the others could be released as a digital single, like Juno and Halloween.

botley
06-20-2018, 10:22 AM
A digital single for the Fourth Estate theme is unlikely, but I'd buy it. The version in the series is less than a minute long, hopefully they have more than that...

hologram parade
06-20-2018, 01:56 PM
Halloween really deserves its own 7” single through Sacred Bones for the movie’s 40th anniversary!

eversonpoe
06-20-2018, 10:13 PM
Halloween really deserves its own 7” single through Sacred Bones for the movie’s 40th anniversary!

i'm kind of hoping they use it for the upcoming new film

caca
06-20-2018, 10:23 PM
i'm kind of hoping they use it for the upcoming new film

I heard John Carpenter is doing the score himself. His Lost Themes albums were great, and after catching him on tour a couple of years ago, he’s definitely still got it. I can’t wait to hear what he does.

As for the Trent/Atticus version, I still listen to it all the time. I’d kill to have it on vinyl... though I’d want a 12” 45 instead of a 7”.

BRoswell
06-20-2018, 10:36 PM
I heard John Carpenter is doing the score himself.

Yep, though I doubt they will use Trent & Atticus' rendition of the theme. It sounds like they might stick closer to the sound of the original themes.

eversonpoe
06-21-2018, 06:50 AM
I heard John Carpenter is doing the score himself. His Lost Themes albums were great, and after catching him on tour a couple of years ago, he’s definitely still got it. I can’t wait to hear what he does.

As for the Trent/Atticus version, I still listen to it all the time. I’d kill to have it on vinyl... though I’d want a 12” 45 instead of a 7”.

yeah, i saw him on the first tour he did and it was one of the best concerts i've been to in a while. i'm glad he's gonna be doing the score for the new film, as his film scores are some of my favorites of all time. it might be cool if the TRAR version was like a bonus track, or was used in the end credits or something? idunno, pipe dreams.

Bachy
06-22-2018, 09:44 AM
I’ve always been of this belief, and after listening to Bad Witch, my stance is even more firmer. Trent and Atticus really need to score whatever David Lynch’s next project may be.

thevoid99
06-22-2018, 03:07 PM
I’ve always been of this belief, and after listening to Bad Witch, my stance is even more firmer. Trent and Atticus really need to score whatever David Lynch’s next project may be.

That is true although Lynch usually leans towards Angelo Badalamenti to do the score. I wouldn't mind a TR/AR collaboration with Badalamenti as long as all of their music is in whatever new project Lynch is doing.

Bachy
06-22-2018, 06:29 PM
While Trent & Atticus won’t be scoring Halloween, I definitely think they would be perfectly suited for a good horror film, and I mean a GOOD horror film. Like just imagine what they could have done with something like Hereditary.

Findus
06-24-2018, 11:52 PM
'Alongside the new Nine Inch Nails material, Reznor says the pair have been working on “two major things and two minor things”, neither of which he can disclose.'

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jun/21/trent-reznor-nine-inch-nails-youre-seeing-the-fall-of-america

Bachy
06-27-2018, 06:49 PM
'Alongside the new Nine Inch Nails material, Reznor says the pair have been working on “two major things and two minor things”, neither of which he can disclose.'

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jun/21/trent-reznor-nine-inch-nails-youre-seeing-the-fall-of-america

Given Trent’s brief connection with the Sharon Tate House, I wouldn’t mind one of those “minor things” be a bit of contribution to the Soundtrack to Tarantino’s Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

Henrie_Schnee
06-28-2018, 04:56 AM
I was pretty busy when the Vietnam-Score dropped a while back, so it wasn't until a few months ago that I had the undisturbed time to sit down and get into it (unlike NIN, the lack of lyrics and hooks in the scores forces me to spend way more focus to get into them).

Long story short, last weekend my gf was gone (away), so I started watching the actual Ken Burns documentary. I still have one or two episodes to watch, but damn... I never thought Ghosts could haunt me even more than it did all those years before. Like the story of the viet-min woman hiding from the american bombs, with 1 Ghosts I in the background? Or the few times 19 Ghosts III pops up? Jesus H. Christ. The downside is that during some segments, I felt like having flashbacks to the infamous Ghosts-Youtube-Festival...

Anybody reads this post and hasn't watched the docu yet, skip bingewatching Netflix for a weekend and sit down with this, you won't be disappointed.

buckaroo
06-28-2018, 12:59 PM
Anybody reads this post and hasn't watched the docu yet, skip bingewatching Netflix for a weekend and sit down with this, you won't be disappointed.

This was recently added to Netflix (US), so you can do actually both now!

hologram parade
06-28-2018, 02:11 PM
Sorry if this is the wrong thread/

I’ve been fixated, and daydreaming about the possibility that TR & Co will bust out their Halloween cover track - and open a show with it! On this up coming tour... specifically in Chicago near Halloween ��

Bachy
06-28-2018, 08:03 PM
I would really like to see Trent & Atticus work on one of Jordan Peele’s projects.

Findus
06-29-2018, 11:31 PM
Maybe one of their secret projects is something more whimsical...... like ambient alien music for Galaxy's Edge in Disneyland and Walt Disney World.

Haysey_Draws
07-02-2018, 02:31 AM
I'd love for them to have a go at a game. The Quake OST was excellent back in the day, but imagine how good it would be now if they tried it with Ross this time?

BRoswell
09-03-2018, 02:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcJZ1YHcMvE

eversonpoe
10-19-2018, 10:04 AM
New stereogum interview.

https://www.stereogum.com/2019319/trent-reznor-interview-nine-inch-nails/franchises/interview/

Their latest work is the score for Jonah Hill’s Mid90s (https://www.stereogum.com/2018629/jonah-hill-morrissey-trent-reznor-emails/video/) — out today and streaming below — and their upcoming projects include HBO’s Watchmen (https://www.stereogum.com/2015392/trent-reznor-atticus-ross-scoring-hbos-new-watchmen-series/news/) series; the Netflix release Bird Box, with Trevante Rhodes, Sarah Paulson, and John Malkovich; and the thriller Woman In The Window, which is based on the bestselling A.J. Finn novel and stars Amy Adams.

uh...that's the first we've heard about Bird Box & Woman In The Window, yeah?

bobbie solo
10-19-2018, 10:40 AM
Certainly the first time I've heard about them.

Reaps
10-19-2018, 10:47 AM
"Bird Box is an upcoming American post-apocalyptic Horror film"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_Box_(film)

yay!

botley
10-20-2018, 03:07 AM
Good news about more scoring projects to come next year. I imagine they'll keep working on NIN alongside all this other work, but if the Stereogum interview mentioning their workload is any indication, I imagine it's going to be a while before another NIN tour. Rest and come back at it after next year sometime, fellas! I keep hearing that maybe Robin has a solo album of stuff under his own name that hasn't come out yet, perhaps he'll want to tour it with his own band.

I was listening to TR & AR's parts of Before the Flood again as a chaser to Mid90s. Parts of BtF, particularly the title track and "A Minute to Breathe" really feel like a nice follow-up EP to Still.

Deepvoid
12-19-2018, 05:45 PM
Is there a reason that there is not a topic for The Woman In The Window? It was announced on Oct. 30 that they would be scoring it.

spahn
12-26-2018, 07:21 AM
Is there a reason that there is not a topic for The Woman In The Window? It was announced on Oct. 30 that they would be scoring it.

Here you go: https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/5341-The-Woman-in-the-Window?p=443900#post443900

WorzelG
01-16-2019, 09:26 AM
Aaron Sorkin considering writing a sequel to The Social Network
http://www.film-news.co.uk/news/UK/61040/Aaron-Sorkin-contemplating-The-Social-Network-sequel
I would go with this, although the film took a lot of liberties, the reality turned out way way darker than the film implies!

roolfdriht
01-16-2019, 10:59 AM
I would be VERY interested in how TRAR might approach a score that demanded prominent and recurring character themes, a la Star Wars or Burton's Batmans.

BRoswell
01-16-2019, 11:04 AM
I would be VERY interested in how TRAR might approach a score that demanded prominent and recurring character themes, a la Star Wars or Burton's Batmans.

They kind of did that with Hand Covers Bruise in The Social Network.

roolfdriht
01-16-2019, 11:24 AM
They kind of did that with Hand Covers Bruise in The Social Network.

Fair point that recurrence is already evident in their body of work thus far. I should have underscored prominent - or said a bit differently, hummable - rather than recurring as my main area of interest. I can hum multiple John Williams and (early) Danny Elfman themes on the spot, but I wouldn't dream of trying the same for even the more melodic existing TRAR scores. Since TRAR obviously know their way around hooky melodies and bombast, I'd be interested to hear that expertise applied in a film context as well.

Max
01-16-2019, 06:25 PM
Fair point that recurrence is already evident in their body of work thus far. I should have underscored prominent - or said a bit differently, hummable - rather than recurring as my main area of interest. I can hum multiple John Williams and (early) Danny Elfman themes on the spot, but I wouldn't dream of trying the same for even the more melodic existing TRAR scores. Since TRAR obviously know their way around hooky melodies and bombast, I'd be interested to hear that expertise applied in a film context as well.

That’s a good point.

botley
01-17-2019, 08:41 AM
Roger Daltrey is talking about (https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-ca-ms-roger-daltrey-memoir-conversation-20190117-story.html) producing a film about Keith Moon and specifically mentioned Love and Mercy as being one of the only good biopics. It would be AWESOME to hear what Atticus' montage approach to scoring that film would sound like in the context of The Who.

sheepdean
01-20-2019, 11:19 PM
Roger Daltrey is talking about (https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-ca-ms-roger-daltrey-memoir-conversation-20190117-story.html) producing a film about Keith Moon and specifically mentioned Love and Mercy as being one of the only good biopics. It would be AWESOME to hear what Atticus' montage approach to scoring that film would sound like in the context of The Who.
I want to hear that approach for so many artists, like imagine if they'd done that for Bohemian Rhapsody instead of making a sing a long

jmtd
01-21-2019, 02:50 PM
Just learned that Atticus did the theme tune for "manhunt: unabomber" on Netflix. I really enjoyed the series and also the score, which I think was by Gregory Tripi. Although I'm not sure whether they carved up the theme within episodes too. It doesn't seem to be available in the UK iTunes store, but it is in the US one.

Ascender
01-23-2019, 09:13 AM
I really want to find the time to make some mix-tape playlists from the scores, but part of me genuinely doesn't know where to start given its such a large and ever-growing body of work. Which is fantastic as a fan, but I feel like I need to take stock before it grows any further! I thought about some playlists based on themes or moods to start with so need to knuckle down and get on with it.

BRoswell
02-03-2019, 11:36 AM
Can we talk about how Justified Response sounds like it would have been right at home on a lost Nine Inch Nails album made between The Downward Spiral and The Fragile?

nmitchell86
02-06-2019, 10:35 AM
So are the Null numbers dead? No Null number for Mid90s or Bird Box... Anyone else contemplating this? OR should we wait for that self-indulgent physical copy of Bird Box to find out?

BRoswell
02-06-2019, 11:11 AM
So are the Null numbers dead? No Null number for Mid90s or Bird Box... Anyone else contemplating this? OR should we wait for that self-indulgent physical copy of Bird Box to find out?

I could be wrong, but I thought Null numbers only applied to physical releases. The last score with a Null number is Before The Flood, and that was also the last score with a physical release. (Patriots Day had a promo release, but those usually don't count.)

zecho
02-06-2019, 12:34 PM

I could be wrong, but I thought Null numbers only applied to physical releases. The last score with a Null number is Before The Flood, and that was also the last score with a physical release. (Patriots Day had a promo release, but those usually don't count.)

While only the physical releases have been officially named Null numbers, they've skipped the numbers reserved for the scores released digitally only, therefore the implication is that there are currently eight Null numbered albums, with Gone Girl (the only one of these to have a physical release) being 3, Patriots Day being 5, mid90s being 7, and Bird Box being 8. Because of the official numbers, we know that at least Gone Girl and Patriots Day have numbers, but anything after The Vietnam War is guesswork. I personally believe that the numbers will continue, though.

sonic_discord
02-06-2019, 02:35 PM
Well, David Fincher's sequel to World War Z was just cancelled by Paramount (https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1036745-paramount-pulls-the-plug-on-world-war-z-sequel), so anyone hoping for another Fincher collaboration (like me) will have to wait a while longer. I honestly wasn't too impressed with the first movie, so hopefully Fincher finds something more worthy of his time and talent for his next project.

BRoswell
02-06-2019, 10:14 PM
Well, David Fincher's sequel to World War Z was just cancelled by Paramount (https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1036745-paramount-pulls-the-plug-on-world-war-z-sequel), so anyone hoping for another Fincher collaboration (like me) will have to wait a while longer. I honestly wasn't too impressed with the first movie, so hopefully Fincher finds something more worthy of his time and talent for his next project.

No surprise there considering how long it was taking to get it off the ground.

onthewall2983
02-11-2019, 07:19 AM
Plus it sounds like he was pretty deep into production on S2 of Mindhunter. I honestly wouldn't be shocked if for his next film he uses someone else for music, if for the fact that TR/AR might be too busy on something else or he wants to go in a different direction.

BRoswell
02-11-2019, 10:18 AM
Fincher has a tendency to mix things up after a while in terms of who he works with. Howard Shore scored three films for Fincher, but they haven't worked together since 2002. That said, the rapport that Trent & Atticus have with him seems to be different compared to other composers, so I think it's possible they'll work together again. It may or may not be his next film though.

onthewall2983
02-14-2019, 09:32 AM
I wonder if they'd work for Soderbergh. He did do that edit of Raiders Of The Lost Ark using the TSN soundtrack and he's friends with Fincher so it wouldn't be out of the range of possibilities. It would be kind of a no-brainer since he goes often for that minimal style of composing, especially when he has Clint Martinez doing the soundtrack.

BRoswell
02-14-2019, 09:44 AM
It would be kind of a no-brainer since he goes often for that minimal style of composing, especially when he has Clint Martinez doing the soundtrack.

I'd love to see them work for Soderbergh, but I think he has a pretty strong working relationship with Martinez (although they haven't worked together in eight years), so I don't see that happening necessarily. That said, Soderbergh has worked with a few different composers over the years, so anything is possible.

Reznor2112
04-04-2019, 12:59 PM
I'm feelin it. 2019 is going to be the year. Bird Box (super ultra deluxe expanded cut) vinyl set, Patriots Day vinyl and The Social Network repress. Who's with me?!

Hidden bonus: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo repress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

_

wakes up. still hopes at least one of these happens.

sheepdean
04-04-2019, 02:49 PM
I want the lads to score a silent film

botley
04-04-2019, 07:56 PM
I want the lads to score a silent film

Like this one (http://extension765.com/soderblogh/18-raiders)!

elevenism
04-04-2019, 10:34 PM
Even though they didn't exactly score it, I loved the version of Nosferatu with Type O Negative.

So, I could.definitely get behind this idea

sheepdean
04-05-2019, 09:45 AM
Like this one (http://extension765.com/soderblogh/18-raiders)!
Actively score and original film, but yes!
This might be because I was watching Strike! last night

NotinCnStopMeNow
04-13-2019, 02:13 PM
Is it spring yet?

sheepdean
04-13-2019, 03:30 PM
Is it spring yet?
Did you forget how NIN time works

StockAvuryah
04-13-2019, 07:19 PM
i want more tracks like A Hidden Moment with that quiet, almost imperceptible wooshing sound which makes the whole piece stand out

botley
05-09-2019, 12:50 AM
Is it possible that the most obscure IMDB credit between them is TR's piano contributions to a little-seen bomb called World Traveler (https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0262911/) released in 2002? Has anybody here seen that movie?

zecho
05-09-2019, 08:36 AM
Is it possible that the most obscure IMDB credit between them is TR's piano contributions to a little-seen bomb called World Traveler (https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0262911/) released in 2002? Has anybody here seen that movie?

That's weird. Was he doing work as a session musician for Clint Mansell?

botley
05-09-2019, 10:15 AM
That's weird. Was he doing work as a session musician for Clint Mansell?

Kinda, I guess. This would have been around the same time as the Still recordings, so it's possible they just did the cues on TR's piano at his home in NOLA.

simonn
05-29-2019, 01:38 AM
So upcoming announced score work for Trent and Atticus is Earthquake Bird, The Watchmen and The Girl In The Window. Is there anything else?

botley
05-29-2019, 08:12 AM
So upcoming announced score work for Trent and Atticus is Earthquake Bird, The Watchmen and The Girl In The Window. Is there anything else?

They're credited with scoring this (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8652728/), too... dunno if that's accurate. And Trent alone is credited on this one (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1621415/).

sonic_discord
05-29-2019, 10:40 AM
So many score projects, it makes you wonder if there will be any NIN material included in the "lots coming in 2019" comment he made on New Year's Day. I'm definitely excited for the score projects, but I really hope there's a new NIN album or EP in the works, too!

BRoswell
05-29-2019, 11:38 AM
Never say never when it comes to Trent & Atticus, but after the EP trilogy and touring, I feel like they're taking a break from the NIN world for a while.

WorzelG
05-29-2019, 01:20 PM
So many score projects, it makes you wonder if there will be any NIN material included in the "lots coming in 2019" comment he made on New Year's Day. I'm definitely excited for the score projects, but I really hope there's a new NIN album or EP in the works, too!
Maybe he was referring to Old Town Road!