PDA

View Full Version : The Killer (2023)

simonn
12-27-2022, 02:24 AM
Trent mentioned on the Edith Bowman soundtracking podcast released on 26/12 that they were working on this with David Fincher, which is scheduled to be released in 2023, at the same time they were working on Empire of Light and Bones and All. Around the 28 minute mark.

https://twitter.com/soundtrackinguk/status/1607498316731785216

cahernandez
12-27-2022, 11:41 AM
Trent mentioned on the Edith Bowman soundtracking podcast released on 26/12 that they were working on this with David Fincher, which is scheduled to be released in 2023, at the same time they were working on Empire of Light and Bones and All. Around the 28 minute mark.

https://twitter.com/soundtrackinguk/status/1607498316731785216

I love how they casually spilled the beans on a podcast, thanks for the link, it was a great listen while cleaning up the kitchen this morning. Has anyone read the comic books on which this movie is based on, and do you recommend any particular volume (there are twelve of them)? Looking forward to this film.

BJM
12-27-2022, 02:40 PM
Has anyone read the comic books on which this movie is based on, and do you recommend any particular volume (there are twelve of them)?

12 albums (of about 40 pages each), collected in 5 volumes for the English market. But right now the series has been revived.

I've read the first couple of them: it's good, but nothing spectacular. Can't say they left much of an impression, and I didn't feel the urge to read on.

sonic_discord
12-27-2022, 10:21 PM
I fucking KNEW they'd be working on this! (Well, I hoped they would.) It's almost too perfect. Really looking forward to this – the movie AND the score!

scribnation
12-29-2022, 10:42 PM
I wonder if this soundtrack will be more energetic than chilling. Looking forward to checking it out and the film once they drop next year!

BRoswell
12-30-2022, 11:39 AM
I like how Trent just casually mentioned it on the podcast. It's almost like a "no duh we're working on it" moment.

howdidislipinto
12-30-2022, 01:14 PM
he mentioned it so casually that i thought i missed some news somewhere 🤣 i didn't even know we knew the title of the movie fincher was working on

Zimbo
01-07-2023, 11:28 PM
I wonder if this soundtrack will be more energetic than chilling. Looking forward to checking it out and the film once they drop next year!

hoping for same! I have my chill albums from T&A filled. I need another Watchmen score

BRoswell
01-18-2023, 08:15 PM
Looks like the film is going straight to Netflix. (https://variety.com/2023/film/news/netflix-original-studio-film-chiefs-david-fincher-the-killer-zack-snyder-rebel-moon-knives-out-3-1235492634/)

explodey
02-02-2023, 10:58 AM
Further confirmation on the Fincher page (https://store-uk.nin.com/collections/david-fincher) in the store:

REZNOR AND ROSS HAVE ALSO DONE THE SCORE FOR FINCHER'S NEXT PROJECT "THE KILLER" WHICH IS SET TO PREMIERE NOVEMBER 10, 2023

Mank
02-02-2023, 05:54 PM
Further confirmation on the Fincher page (https://store-uk.nin.com/collections/david-fincher) in the store:

The fact they made a page specifically for Fincher gives me hope about the cancelled re-release of Dragon Tattoo on vinyl. Especially since Sony planned on releasing the 4K last year, so if they kind of release the 4K and the score on vinyl around the time The Killer is out, that would make sense.

explodey
07-26-2023, 09:07 AM
It's getting a premiere in just over a month at the Venice Film Festival (https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/david-fincher-the-killer-debut-venice-film-festival/), although guess we will still have to wait for the release on Netflix for the soundtrack to be released.

arsenic
08-23-2023, 07:13 AM
Heads up: there are still a handful of tickets available on the biennale website

Looks like I'm going to Venice :eek: I also managed to get a ticekt for the new Harmony Korine film

fillow
08-28-2023, 09:07 AM

pcpunk
08-29-2023, 08:31 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vs1epO_zLG8

fillow
08-29-2023, 10:09 AM
Why isn't it getting wide release for christ's sake? I love that Netflix allows big directors make more films as much as the next person, but I'm getting real tired of this "limited theatrical release" model, which means it isn't gonna be showing anywhere close to me. (The Irishman, Roma, Mank are just very few that come to mind immediately)

Is there any website to check where these limited screenings happened in the past for such films?

hologram parade
08-29-2023, 02:21 PM
Why isn't it getting wide release for christ's sake?

“Netflix limits theaters & weeks so a film can play enough in theaters to qualify for oscars, but slightly less than what contractually would make it a “theatrical release” by union rules

This allows them to avoid paying actors writers & directors higher theatrical residual rates”

Zimbo
08-29-2023, 08:40 PM
Holy fuck that trailer and score rips. WOW

cahernandez
09-04-2023, 10:05 AM
It has already screened in Venice. Some people that have seen it had the following to say about the score (go to the comments of this post): "The tension is nerve-wracking. Fassbender is absolute prime. The thriller is stripped down and taught. Mean. Soundtrack really pushes. Photography and psychological characterization of our protagonist are top notch" and someone else "I didn't like it (the film). Except for the score".

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2023/9/3/oa5zhb65a8oetrjgqakvuhgcftm4uh

Personally I won't watch the trailer, I want to go in cold to this one. Looking forward to it.

simonn
10-19-2023, 06:59 AM
Presumably this score release is just 8 days away?

BRoswell
10-19-2023, 08:15 AM
Presumably this score release is just 8 days away?

It's possible, although I'm guessing it'll drop when it comes out on Netflix, so in about three weeks.

sonic_discord
10-19-2023, 12:05 PM
Well, the writers' strike is over, but the SAG-AFTRA strike is still ongoing, so unfortunately, there probably won't be any promotion for this one, either. I'm looking forward to hearing this score and seeing the movie, though! I just hope the strike ends soon (with a favorable outcome for the actors, of course) so they can share their thoughts and experiences on this and the TMNT score.

cahernandez
10-25-2023, 11:38 PM
It's possible, although I'm guessing it'll drop when it comes out on Netflix, so in about three weeks.

The movie comes out tomorrow on limited release, we may be hearing this one sooner. I may try to catch it in the cinemas, but it's a bit far from where I live.

sonic_discord
10-26-2023, 12:52 PM
I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but my money's on the score not releasing until November 10 when the movie hits Netflix.

simonn
10-26-2023, 01:00 PM
I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but my money's on the score not releasing until November 10 when the movie hit Netflix.

Hope you are!

Still, the new Duran Duran album will keep me going...

botley
10-27-2023, 03:01 PM
Fucking great score. Lots of tense drones and thuds, and also surprisingly full of weird stomach-growl gurgles and other body-horror type noises just on the periphery. Wild stuff! Stay to the end, if you're lucky enough to catch it in the theatre — big long cue plays over the end credits with all sorts of wild surround panning in it.

Toadflax
10-27-2023, 04:33 PM
Fucking great score. Lots of tense drones and thuds, and also surprisingly full of weird stomach-growl gurgles and other body-horror type noises just on the periphery. Wild stuff! Stay to the end, if you're lucky enough to catch it in the theatre — big long cue plays over the end credits with all sorts of wild surround panning in it.

Seeing it in 5 hours!

Santos L Halper
10-27-2023, 07:01 PM

Awesome! Seeing it tomorrow! I've heard great things about not only the score but also the sound design overall. Can't wait!

simonn
10-28-2023, 12:30 AM

Is it more keyboard than guitar centred again, albeit Great Destroyer-y type of keyboard, rather than Empire of Light-y?

allegate
10-29-2023, 12:39 AM
gives me hope of an Atmos release

botley
10-29-2023, 04:45 AM
Is it more keyboard than guitar centred again, albeit Great Destroyer-y type of keyboard, rather than Empire of Light-y?

Not much discernable guitar, it's very sparse for the most part. Lots of Gone Girl vibes.

Santos L Halper
10-29-2023, 09:03 AM
Much more of an ambient score...even more so than usual. Will still pick it up when available though.

Toadflax
10-30-2023, 09:21 AM
Not much discernable guitar, it's very sparse for the most part. Lots of Gone Girl vibes.

Much more of an ambient score...even more so than usual. Will still pick it up when available though.

Yeah, there are one or two "cool" cuts (i.e. Watchmen & TMNT), but most of it is sort of ambient and uneasy in that Gone Girl, Waves, some of Bones and All kind of way.

Also, very minor spoiler, but the phrase "nine inch nails" is actually spoken in the movie. :)

Zur En Arrh
11-01-2023, 09:02 AM
When is this on Spotify and is there any vinyl news?

Toadflax
11-01-2023, 09:29 AM
When is this on Spotify and is there any vinyl news?

It'll be on this thread when we know! The movie drops on Netflix on the 10th, so expect to know more around then.

gorast
11-01-2023, 07:31 PM
If it's hitting Netflix on the 10th I would imagine that's the day we'll get it, but we'll see.

cynicmuse
11-02-2023, 10:16 PM
I went and saw it over the weekend. I enjoyed the score and sound design; there was always a good mix between the sound track and the "local color sounds". I'm looking forward to getting the sound track.

Off topic, I got a little distracted by the supposed Breaux Mart in fake FL; that's a New Orleans only institution.

sonic_discord
11-06-2023, 09:24 PM
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross’ The Killer score also comes out this week (https://www.avclub.com/reznor-and-ross-the-killer-score-also-comes-out-this-w-1850997167)

cdm
11-09-2023, 02:47 PM
Tracklisting per Australian iTunes:

Toadflax
11-09-2023, 03:04 PM
Looks to be 45-50 minutes. The movie full of The Smiths' music, so the score isn't as prevalent as other Fincher movies. That said, I was wondering if we might still get a longish score as a result of them just composing a bunch of music that never got used. Either way, looking forward to hearing it!

blitzkrieg
11-09-2023, 06:15 PM
available

shagg_187
11-09-2023, 08:09 PM
Trailer track is also on OST. YESSSS

Lerxto
11-09-2023, 10:15 PM
Fuck.

That other guy
11-09-2023, 11:14 PM
So far its great.

Wulgaren
11-09-2023, 11:19 PM
empathy is weakness and stick to the plan are pretty nice so far. but it sounds like a big rehash of the usual ideas - it pains me to say this but i’m really disappointed, especially as this is for a fincher movie

edit: ok never hesitate is great

okok the brute is amazing, i’m glad this is picking up lol

nmitchell86
11-09-2023, 11:19 PM
Just got it on bandcamp.. listening now... I wish they would drop some vinyl or a cd.

richardp
11-09-2023, 11:34 PM
"Fuck." is so damn awesome.

Wulgaren
11-09-2023, 11:49 PM
holy fuck "one of the many” is amazing

Ascender
11-10-2023, 04:16 AM
Its out! I only know that because of the messages on here, I did kind of think we might get an email from NIN.com or something?

BJM
11-10-2023, 06:49 AM
Bandcamp: https://trentreznor-atticusross.bandcamp.com/album/the-killer-original-score

cdm
11-10-2023, 07:57 AM
Its out! I only know that because of the messages on here, I did kind of think we might get an email from NIN.com or something?

We'll probably get one in the 10-11am Est timeframe.

Zur En Arrh
11-10-2023, 08:07 AM
It's really good. Can't wait to watch the film tonight..

PhoenixML
11-10-2023, 08:35 AM
Well, this is a soundtrack, neither a good or bad thing. But I am afraid it'll be one of those TR&AR soundtrack I won't listen to again.

cdm
11-10-2023, 11:30 AM
After one listen I think Stick To the Plan is my favorite track. Overall the score is very nerve wracking and tense. The Brutes, especially pt 2, is some incredible sound design. I like this a lot but at the same time I'm not sure how often I'll listen to it...the tension is through the roof.

caca
11-10-2023, 12:21 PM
After one listen I think Stick To the Plan is my favorite track. Overall the score is very nerve wracking and tense. The Brutes, especially pt 2, is some incredible sound design. I like this a lot but at the same time I'm not sure how often I'll listen to it...the tension is through the roof.

This... except my favorite track after one listen is "One of the Many."

Swykk
11-10-2023, 03:24 PM
“Intruder” absolutely rules as does “One Of Many.”

caca
11-10-2023, 10:56 PM
After watching the movie, the score (which I enjoyed on its own) is significantly better in the context of the film. It fits right in and keeps the tension dialed up to 11.

Wulgaren
11-11-2023, 01:27 AM
After watching the movie, the score (which I enjoyed on its own) is significantly better in the context of the film. It fits right in and keeps the tension dialed up to 11.

yeah agreed

BRoswell
11-11-2023, 08:29 AM
Enjoyed the film. It's definitely a more subdued score compared to the other Fincher films, but I loved the way it bubbled and churned in the background. Nice to hear the saxophone return on Never Hesitate too. Reminded me a bit of Colin Stetson's music.

Zimbo
11-11-2023, 09:19 PM
Great film. Score is mixed way low compared to what I expected from the trailer.

Lastentrance
11-12-2023, 02:05 AM
Although probably not one I will revisit as much as others, in some ways this is a perfect score. It doesn’t draw attention to itself and works as sound design/pure atmosphere, a perfect compliment to the film. The production especially is fantastic. It is note-worthy that 2-time Oscar winning, big name composers are more concerned with serving the film by preparing a more ambient score than something that is more ‘in your face’ or traditionally them. Brilliant work.

jmtd
11-12-2023, 07:09 AM
I think I’m likely to relisten to this more than “bones and all”

Toadflax
11-12-2023, 09:43 AM
Also, very minor spoiler, but the phrase "nine inch nails" is actually spoken in the movie. :)

UPDATE: It appears to be “nine *gauge* nails.” Someone get on making those t-shirts!

Zimbo
11-12-2023, 07:10 PM
I think I’m likely to relisten to this more than “bones and all”

Same.

Something Underneath
11-13-2023, 12:46 PM
This one is probably only gonna get better on repeat. Subtle and very fitting of the film.

Indefinite_Cure
11-14-2023, 08:12 AM
I read through the whole thread to see if this had been caught, but it seems not:

The track "Consequences Are Automatic" reuses a lot of the samples/drones from the NIN track "The Cursed Clock". It almost sounds like a rethink of the track as much as "A Familiar Taste" was of "35 Ghosts IV"

Toadflax
11-14-2023, 09:09 AM
I read through the whole thread to see if this had been caught, but it seems not:

The track "Consequences Are Automatic" reuses a lot of the samples/drones from the NIN track "The Cursed Clock". It almost sounds like a rethink of the track as much as "A Familiar Taste" was of "35 Ghosts IV"

Ah yeah, I noticed there was a similarity to one of their other instrumental tracks but didn't dig around to see what it was. Good call!

Reznor2112
11-22-2023, 08:16 AM
Loved the movie, watched a few times since the Netflix release -- LOVE Tilda Swinton in this. And the score has been on repeat as well. Good stuff all around.

Now...

V I N Y L R E L E A S E P L E A S E

(edit):

Also, is it safe to say that neither this nor Mank will get physical blu-ray/4k releases?

cdm
11-22-2023, 08:36 AM
Also, is it safe to say that neither this nor Mank will get physical blu-ray/4k releases?

Criterion released blu-ray and dvd versions of The Irishman so not all hope is lost...but that may be our only chance unless Netflix rethinks their strategy. A physical release does kind of undercut their whole business model, so who knows.

imail724
11-22-2023, 04:52 PM
I read recently that the main reason Mike Flannigan cut ties with Netflix was because they refused to release physical versions of his shows, so I wouldn't count on it. Scorsese may be an exception because he's Scorsese.

raptors661
11-22-2023, 05:45 PM
I read recently that the main reason Mike Flannigan cut ties with Netflix was because they refused to release physical versions of his shows, so I wouldn't count on it. Scorsese may be an exception because he's Scorsese.
Netflix is weird with their bluray releases. Stranger things 1 and 2 get releases, but not 3 and 4. Haunting of Hill House and Bly Manor get releases, but not Flannigan's other shows. Wednesday just got announced for a release. Disney is releasing their streaming stuff to disc now, so maybe the good word of mouth on those will cause Netflix to loosen their grip a little.

TheBang
11-24-2023, 07:38 PM
The Killer FYC is available now. No WAVs this year, just MP3s:
https://film.netflixawards.com/the-killer
https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/35418-2023-for-your-consideration-studio-sites-featuring-music/&do=findComment&comment=1994359

I haven't compared it yet, but it looks different from the OST album.

BRoswell
11-24-2023, 08:29 PM
Haven't listened to all the tracks, but the Brute tracks have the film audio removed from them.

Paul
11-29-2023, 11:04 PM
Has anyone else played the (excellent) game Inscryption? Some of the dub sounds throughout the soundtrack, especially in songs like "Rolodex" and "Fight", remind me of Leshy's "voice" in the game

Toadflax
11-30-2023, 09:34 AM
Has anyone else played the (excellent) game Inscryption? Some of the dub sounds throughout the soundtrack, especially in songs like "Rolodex" and "Fight", remind me of Leshy's "voice" in the game

I have! Didn't make that connection, though!

cdm
11-30-2023, 12:17 PM
I watched the movie on Netflix last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. The ending caught me off guard but I appreciated it after I thought about it some more, by design I suppose. Regarding the score I thought it was buried in the mix, at least that's how I experienced it without a surround system...does it stand out more in the 5.1 mix? Overall, decent film and I'll probably re-watch but I don't see it winning any awards.

BRoswell
11-30-2023, 04:36 PM
Regarding the score I thought it was buried in the mix, at least that's how I experienced it without a surround system...does it stand out more in the 5.1 mix?

I'd say so, yeah.

botley
12-01-2023, 01:35 PM
I don't think Netflix is streaming a stereo version (in English anyway), the version you're hearing is the 5.1 mix folded down, however your TV or sound bar does that... possibly imperfectly.

spahn
12-06-2023, 08:14 AM
I'd say so, yeah.

I agree with this. Although I caught snippets of the soundtrack, the Smiths playing constantly throughout the movie was more front of mind in terms of music. Generally, I can tell a TR/AR score but if I were to go in not knowing they scored this, I probably would not have noticed. The movie was good but not Fincher's best by any stretch. Definitely worth watching but you won't come out of the movie saying "what a masterpiece"

fillow
02-20-2024, 09:10 AM
The Killer FYC is available now. No WAVs this year, just MP3s:
https://film.netflixawards.com/the-killer
https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/35418-2023-for-your-consideration-studio-sites-featuring-music/&do=findComment&comment=1994359

I haven't compared it yet, but it looks different from the OST album.

did you do it yet? any differences that make it worth ripping this whole version? (or at least extras)

TheBang
02-20-2024, 01:55 PM
did you do it yet? any differences that make it worth ripping this whole version? (or at least extras)
I haven't. There are definitely differences though, so if you collect/keep track of those kinds of things, you'll want to download this version.

fillow
02-20-2024, 04:47 PM
I haven't. There are definitely differences though, so if you collect/keep track of those kinds of things, you'll want to download this version.
I guess I'm not that much of a completist. From the entire collection of FYIs that were available, I only kept In Evidence and Dinner With Sean from Social Network. Nothing else.

TheBang
02-20-2024, 09:44 PM
I guess I'm not that much of a completist. From the entire collection of FYIs that were available, I only kept In Evidence and Dinner With Sean from Social Network. Nothing else.
Ah, yes, if you're mostly interested from a musical perspective, the soundtrack albums are better bet. Trent and Atticus seem to put a lot of care in assembling the released albums, to make sure that they present a coherent experience as a musical album. The FYC's (usually) represent the score as it has been assembled in service of the picture, and while that may be good for the movie, it doesn't necessarily make for the best music listening experience. On a technical note, it seems like a lot of the FYC's have been assembled by studio personnel, as there have been errors and mastering problems with some of them.

BRoswell
02-27-2024, 07:25 PM
Surprised no one posted this yet. Ren Klyce talks about the score a bit starting at 6:35.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yF5rtOmUtc