PDA

View Full Version : Trent leaves shithole website; Professional troll pays $44B to respond with sick burn

trollmanen
11-19-2022, 09:59 PM
Trent Reznor on Desire to Bail on Twitter After Elon Musk Takeover: “We Don’t Need the Arrogance of the Billionaire Class”
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/digital/trent-reznor-twitter-elon-musk-takeover-1235262227/

sweeterthan
11-20-2022, 09:32 AM
Trent Reznor on Desire to Bail on Twitter After Elon Musk Takeover: “We Don’t Need the Arrogance of the Billionaire Class”
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/digital/trent-reznor-twitter-elon-musk-takeover-1235262227/

someone tell him he can just block musk. right now he follows him so that’s why he’s getting too much elno.

WorzelG
11-20-2022, 02:56 PM
someone tell him he can just block musk. right now he follows him so that’s why he’s getting too much elno.
Yes I keep getting Elon Musk in my timeline just because Trent and a few others follow him. It’s very annoying

Khrz
11-20-2022, 04:18 PM
Yes I keep getting Elon Musk in my timeline just because Trent and a few others follow him. It’s very annoying
Well you can block Musk as well, voilà, problem solved !

WorzelG
11-20-2022, 04:45 PM
Well you can block Musk as well, voilà, problem solved !
I should have said ‘kept’. I have blocked him, thanks for the advice

MrLobster
11-20-2022, 04:49 PM
I should have said ‘kept’. I have blocked him, thanks for the advice

And then there's also muting words, that can also really help.

WorzelG
11-20-2022, 04:54 PM
And then there's also muting words, that can also really help.
I can’t think of any words I could mute to make the experience better. I’m only on there to follow music, entertainment anyway, I’ll just have to ignore the extraneous stuff

otnavuskire
11-20-2022, 06:32 PM

Looks like he did. His account is gone.

jmtd
11-21-2022, 12:13 PM
Looks like he did. His account is gone.

Good. Anything short of that is implicitly supporting that asshole. We should all be as brave.

tony.parente
11-21-2022, 01:07 PM
This just in: arrogant millionaire who charges $50 for a T-shirt annoyed by arrogant billionaire who charges $8 for a check mark.

trollmanen
11-21-2022, 01:58 PM
Elon Musk calls Trent Reznor a "crybaby". (https://loudwire.com/elon-musk-roasts-nine-inch-nails-trent-reznor-twitter-crybaby/)

Khrz
11-21-2022, 02:03 PM
This just in: arrogant millionaire who charges $50 for a T-shirt annoyed by arrogant billionaire who charges $8 for a check mark.

Smartassery is disingenuity balanced by awareness. Another version of that is "the failure point of clever is asshole".

So yeah I get your point, but we're both aware that's not really the point.

fillow
11-21-2022, 02:14 PM
It's history in the making, people. This will be quoted on the ninternet ad infinitum from now on.

Findus
11-21-2022, 02:39 PM
Newsflash!: Thousandaire and hundredaire NIN fans are still willing to buy $50 T-shirts.

botley
11-21-2022, 02:41 PM
It's history in the making, people. This will be quoted on the ninternet ad infinitum from now on.

Prime meme fodder, just need that scene from Before the Flood of Leo touring the Tesla factory with recent batshit Musk quotes underneath.

fillow
11-21-2022, 03:12 PM
Elon Musk calls Trent Reznor a "crybaby". (https://loudwire.com/elon-musk-roasts-nine-inch-nails-trent-reznor-twitter-crybaby/)

ultimatebdp
11-21-2022, 03:47 PM
Sorry, TR looks weak minded by canceling his account and apparently supporting censorship. I’m old enough to remember when he fought censorship during the TDS days, and now he’s gone full circle. Sad to see, but not surprised.

BRoswell
11-21-2022, 03:51 PM
Sorry, TR looks weak minded by canceling his account and apparently supporting censorship. I’m old enough to remember when he fought censorship during the TDS days, and now he’s gone full circle. Sad to see, but not surprised.

Censorship of who? Oh, you mean the billionaire president who tried to stage a coup last year and who now has his own social media site to rant on? Yeah, we definitely need to hear MORE from him.

Good for Trent for leaving, although I have to say that it's pretty easy for him. He rarely uses social media these days. Also, the fact that Musk claims to have been a fan is hilarious given how many songs are about guys like him. He and Paul Ryan need to share a beer sometime and lament over why their musical heroes failed them.

ryanmcfly
11-21-2022, 04:00 PM
Nothing says free speech like burying posts in the feed because you didn’t subscribe to twitter blue!

glad Trent did this. I’ve been trying to wind down my twitter use to go just sports related stuff at this point, but at some point I’ll be leaving too.

Ruined
11-21-2022, 04:12 PM
Saying Trent leaving because of censorship is ridiculous. From what he's posted, he (like many) are leaving because Twitter is an even more toxic place now. If a certain platform has become something you despise, why stay? Good for him, and others, doing what is best for them.

Deacon Blackfire
11-21-2022, 04:22 PM

TR: "I'm about to depart Twitter, we don’t need the arrogance of the billionaire class to feel like they can just come in and solve everything, it's a toxic environment and I don’t feel good being there anymore"
tony.parente: "Yet you have millions of dollars and have T-Shirts that cost $50. Curious! I am very intelligent."

I know bitching about NIN prices and constantly framing TR as a money-grubbing rich asshole is like, your thing, but these are basically the same asinine talking points that shithead Musk himself used when he pointed out that AOC had (union-made) merch that cost more than his stupid Twitter Blue verification subscription, as if that proved literally anything, and if that's not enough to make you embarrassed of this rube-status take, frankly, it should be. To frame TR and Musk as being comparable in terms of wealth (entertainers' income is a drop in the bucket next to billionaires like Musk but please continue to miss the forest for the trees) and "arrogance" (Musk has proven himself to be one of the most insufferable, obnoxious, unjustifiably egotistical people on the entire planet but TR is arrogant because, what, the Vinyl Mission Statement you like to make fun of?) is at best knowingly reductive, at worst idiotic.

The funny thing is TR barely used his Twitter account anymore so this really isn't much of a story.

Khrz
11-21-2022, 04:30 PM

Supporting censorship what where ? Point on the doll where Reznor touched the censorship. Also, point on the dolll where you think the censorship is.

BRoswell
11-21-2022, 04:42 PM
The censorship of billionaires has to end! They deserve to have their shitty ideas heard too!

Wretchedest
11-21-2022, 04:45 PM
While I'm sympathetic to the idea that Trent is a part of an elite wealthy class, albeit, a smaller one than musk, I'm not sure the t-shirts are the item to point to in saying that the pot is calling the kettle black. I don't know that I think Trent is so much more greedy than your average successful rockstar. Indie bands sell shirts for just as much, I just bought like two from Lightning Bolt and Dreadnought, so I think that's just what t-shirts cost. Tax the rich.

Also Trent Reznor is rich *because* he is a crybaby. From Head Like a Hole to She's Gone Away, they're all crybaby songs for crybabies and this is where us crybabies go to cry about them.

marodi
11-21-2022, 05:53 PM

Dear fellow Trent fans: am I the only one who remembers the glory days of the Photoshop thread on Old ETS? We invented CryBaby Trent over 12 years ago! We should have copyrighted that shit.

Example:

https://64.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kzva6z1QgQ1qb61xho1_400.jpg

We also came up with Pointing Trent, which has its own entry in the urban dictionary: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pointing%20Trent

It just prove how out of touch Musk is; thinking he is so clever by trying to mock TR. Only us, his "true fans" get to mock him! / sarcasim

poinoup
11-21-2022, 06:22 PM
Coming soon: A remake of Cry-Baby... Starring Trent Reznor. Tell me you would not watch him in a teen romcom. Money.

"Drapes & Squares" is a perfect opening track on the TR/AR score.

zecho
11-21-2022, 06:40 PM
The fact that Elon just had to shoehorn an insult towards TR out of nowhere is so fucking funny. You can tell this one bothered him.

otnavuskire
11-21-2022, 06:44 PM

sweeterthan
11-21-2022, 06:50 PM
nothing lasts forever. certainly not any space where we can find reznor. i feel like i should mention he made no posts about quitting twitter. he was asked about it in an interview and this is what happens. the whole thing is rather over the top.

i did like his twitter but mostly for his likes. there were funny and cool and endearing stuff in there. it was really the only place you could see him “liking” anything.

allegate
11-21-2022, 07:50 PM
While I'm sympathetic to the idea that Trent is a part of an elite wealthy class, albeit, a smaller one than musk, I'm not sure the t-shirts are the item to point to in saying that the pot is calling the kettle black. I don't know that I think Trent is so much more greedy than your average successful rockstar. Indie bands sell shirts for just as much, I just bought like two from Lightning Bolt and Dreadnought, so I think that's just what t-shirts cost. Tax the rich.

Also Trent Reznor is rich *because* he is a crybaby. From Head Like a Hole to She's Gone Away, they're all crybaby songs for crybabies and this is where us crybabies go to cry about them.

https://media.tenor.com/prYVjmht9VUAAAAC/cry.gif

TheBang
11-21-2022, 08:03 PM
It's weird seeing all these people defending every thing Musk does, licking his boots, and insisting he's the smartest man in the world, as he makes some of the objectively worst management decisions I've ever seen, and pisses away his $44B purchase.

BRoswell
11-21-2022, 09:20 PM
It's weird seeing all these people defending every thing Musk does, licking his boots, and insisting he's the smartest man in the world, as he makes some of the objectively worst management decisions I've ever seen, and pisses away his $44B purchase.

It's just the cult of personality. Same with Trumpy. People like him because he's a vapid dickhead. They think that's something to aspire to be.

nooneimportant
11-21-2022, 09:30 PM

For those people they see that this guy is right because he has the money, the success and is the loudest voice in the room. He could shit in an ice cream cone and people would praise him. Shit is annoying as hell.

Ruined
11-21-2022, 10:00 PM
nothing lasts forever. certainly not any space where we can find reznor. i feel like i should mention he made no posts about quitting twitter. he was asked about it in an interview and this is what happens. the whole thing is rather over the top.

i did like his twitter but mostly for his likes. there were funny and cool and endearing stuff in there. it was really the only place you could see him “liking” anything.
Random TR Tweet--his post about recommending we watch Raid: Redemption turned me on to that amazing movie. I just recall the image of the Mad Dog fight Trent posted. Good stuff.

Erneuert
11-21-2022, 10:26 PM
Trent’s account is showing as suspended now? lol

allegate
11-21-2022, 11:15 PM
Trent’s account is showing as suspended now? lol

so there are two Trent Reznor accounts that are making the rounds.

Official: https://twitter.com/trent_reznor

Suspended: https://twitter.com/trentreznor

https://i.redd.it/1hy1s48h281a1.jpg

jmtd
11-22-2022, 01:01 AM
Now will they delete the nineinchnails account? Should they?

Khrz
11-22-2022, 02:07 AM
I feel like he always had a strong love/hate relationship with social anything. He seems really eager to share and engage, but after a short while he remembers that interactions come inevitably with a lot of bullshit and he just vanishes until the next time. Whenever he shows up somewhere he feels very enthusiastic, but that enthusiasm wanes fast. I'm not surprised by his reaction, it feels less like a sudden ragequit and more like an "oh well I didn't really give a fuck anyway".

chuckrh
11-22-2022, 04:37 AM
I'm glad Trent got out. He doesn't need it.

chuckrh
11-22-2022, 05:48 AM
Elon lashes back. Fuck him.

https://consequence.net/2022/11/elon-musk-crybaby-trent-reznor/

Tom
11-22-2022, 07:27 AM
Yikes! I'm not a Twitter user, but reading through the comment thread below Musk's dumb tweet I can see why TR would want to bail, if it's any indicator of the general tenor of discourse over there. Jeez.

ekrekel
11-22-2022, 08:14 AM

You can in IG, but I don't think you can stalk his likes there, just need to stumble upon them.

WorzelG
11-22-2022, 08:37 AM
I had a look at the tweets under that Musk comment and far more than I expected were defending Trent

cdm
11-22-2022, 09:18 AM
Doesn't seem like a ragequit to me. He barely used his account to post and basically all of his retweets were of NIN account posts. I'm sure the harassment prior to his first deactivation is still somewhat fresh and probably makes the decision an easy one.

trollmanen
11-22-2022, 09:39 AM
Whomever moved my post to a new thread, thanks!

As I'm sure someone has already pointed out, TR was asked a question about it at a movie premiere and gave a simple answer. If you read what he said, it seemed to be more about his mental health and how in general, social media brings out the worst in society. His comment about Musk seemed to be secondary, but of course, media will take that quote and run with it for clicks. The fact that Twitter seems to be crumbling as there is a mass exodus of employees leaving, and Musk feels the need to respond to something like this says all you need to know. It's really obvious why he bought Twitter, other than "because I can", which is that he wants to turn it into a place where the far right can roam free and say whatever they want. It seemed like for a moment, Musk was maybe starting to understand that while he can certainly do that, the flip side is that advertisers can choose to not spend their money on the platform. That is capitalism and the free market, but because he doesn't like it, it's apparently an attack on free speech. I hope Twitter tanks, and epic crash and burn would be fitting. I'm guessing that it will be a slow end though, and it will eventually just cease to be relevant.

Teleblaster18
11-22-2022, 10:39 AM
This is only about two things:

1) Musk driving whatever traffic he can to Twitter. He's a huckster, first and foremost. Manufacture controversy, but just keep going to Twitter.

2) Musk is jealous that Grimes played "Still" on repeat whenever they fucked.

I look at Musk, and all I can think of is Daniel Plainview. Fuck that guy.

thefragile_jake
11-22-2022, 12:11 PM
Elon Musk reminds me of every piece of shit boss I've ever had, and his handling of Twitter over the last few weeks has been obnoxious. The fact that a off hand comment by Trent about not wanting to use something he barely used in the first place was newsworthy enough to make the rounds and actually get a response by him is stupid.

Khrz
11-22-2022, 12:15 PM
Elon Musk reminds me of every piece of shit boss I've ever had, and his handling of Twitter over the last few weeks has been obnoxious.

AND hilarious. God I love seeing those narcissistic tits play 4D chess in public, really does a lot of good to my self-esteem and impostor syndrome.

scorpiusdiamond
11-22-2022, 12:22 PM
https://twitter.com/verybadllama/status/1595113200839954433

raptors661
11-22-2022, 01:32 PM
I had a look at the tweets under that Musk comment and far more than I expected were defending Trent
The tide must have shifted, because soon after Elon's initial tweets were thousands of bootlickers going "lol never heard of him".

elevenism
11-22-2022, 01:47 PM
It's just the cult of personality. Same with Trumpy. People like him because he's a vapid dickhead. They think that's something to aspire to be.

I thought he was cool...elon, i mean, because i thought he was gonna advance society...you know, get us to mars and such.
He says and does some annoying shit, but hey, so did Mozart.

I assumed he was doing the twatter thing to make MONEY, for such endeavors, but now, i'm not sure WHat the fuck he's doing.

and then, i saw this little doc from a creator who SERIOUSLY does his research, and it made me sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAU1l7iEpoU

Frozen Beach
11-22-2022, 03:52 PM
Twitter has always been shit, even before Elon Musk. Elon Musk has pretty much just made it cool to hate it. And no, I don't say that to defend Elon Musk.

shagg_187
11-22-2022, 04:27 PM
Elon Musk : The Fragile.
Twitter : Somewhat Damaged.

redwingsrock
11-22-2022, 05:56 PM
Elon Musk calling Trent a crybaby like its news....as if Pretty Hate Machine was never released.

allegate
11-22-2022, 06:26 PM
https://twitter.com/Eve6/status/1595171852455972901

There are more tiers to this than on my wedding cake.

Erneuert
11-22-2022, 07:09 PM
tbh I don't think TR cares whether you like his music or not tbh.

sonic_discord
11-22-2022, 09:30 PM
elon musk : The fragile.
Twitter : Broken

ftfy.

poinoup
11-22-2022, 10:30 PM
Broken, bruised, my ego's sore
Too bankrupt to care any more

muad'nin
11-23-2022, 01:17 AM
Trent laments Twitter’s impact on his mental health. Elon responds by calling him a “cry baby”.

Elon’s a cunt lacking in empathy.

sonic_discord
11-23-2022, 02:31 AM
Trent laments Twitter’s impact on his mental health. Elon responds by calling him a “cry baby”.

Elon’s a cunt lacking in empathy.

Elon proved Trent's point for him. Musk is looking more and more like Trump every day (publicly firing employees on Twitter, being a terrible leader, attacking anyone who disagrees with him, running his companies into the ground and toward bankruptcy...), which might explain why he's somehow become a champion for right-wingers recently.

TheBang
11-23-2022, 03:32 AM
I feel like this is such a nothingburger. Trent hadn't even used his account in any meaningful way for years, and makes some offhanded comments to an off-topic question on the red carpet which then got turned into a headline. He didn't make a big deal about it.

Yet here we are, still talking about it, with more discussion about this than the 2 new soundtracks released this month. People who haven't posted here for years are coming to the thread to weigh in. Discord and Reddit are still talking about it. I am shocked that this is getting so much attention, but I guess that's what Musk thrives on.

scorpiusdiamond
11-23-2022, 05:01 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221123/aaf5378570363c5e3eecb59ff97ee6d2.jpg

Khrz
11-23-2022, 07:35 AM
I feel like this is such a nothingburger. Trent hadn't even used his account in any meaningful way for years, and makes some offhanded comments to an off-topic question on the red carpet which then got turned into a headline. He didn't make a big deal about.

Yet here we are, still talking about it, with more discussion about this than the 2 new soundtracks released this month. People who haven't posted here for years are coming to the thread to weigh in. Discord and Reddit are still talking about it. I am shocked that this is getting so much attention, but I guess that's what Musk thrives on.

Sure, but first let's not downplay our inherent morbid interest for drama of any kind. Hell, that's why social places thrive, that's what drive the sacro-saint "engagement".

Also, this topic packs a lot of subjects at once : Our relationship with Twitter and social micro-blogging ; our respective views on two celebrities, one that is voluntarily very divisive and the other being the subject of this very forum ; how we deal with the media takeover by mercurial billionaires with an agenda ; the politics of free speech ; the plain instrumentation and appropriation of what we foolishly think of as neutral discussion spaces...

Okay there are two new scores out, but really there's not a lot that can be said about that beside "I like it" or "not my thing". I don't know how many of us are trained musicians, but we don't really have the skills necessary to dissect music to a composition level. I find scores harder to assess than rock albums, as far as I'm concerned.

Honestly, as futile as it is, I'd rather have a discussion about this drama than suffer another NIN spotting where it's just a screengrab of some rando on TV sporting a downward spiral T-shirt in 1998... I get the annoyance, it's childish and petty and as you said, fundamentally a nothingburger. But at least it's something, as poor an excuse as it is.

mfte
11-23-2022, 08:21 AM
Having listened to Pretty Hate Machine recently, I think Elon might have a point.

Zur En Arrh
11-23-2022, 08:38 AM
What is a twitter? I'm still trying to figure out myspace, this myspace is going to be huge I can tell!

sweeterthan
11-23-2022, 10:54 AM
no, musk does not have a point. name calling isn’t a point.

Teleblaster18
11-23-2022, 01:33 PM
no, musk does not have a point. name calling isn’t a point.

Name calling in this instance is precisely the point. It's clickbait.

Musk is attempting to stir up any controversy he can to drive business and further traffic to Twitter. It's about as subtle, rehearsed and contrived as Justin Timberlake/Janet Jackson's halftime performance on the Super Bowl.

There's a simple solution: don't click on ANY Twitter link. Not a one. Deprive the site of the oxygen that it needs, and let it become whatever it's going to become, but above all: give it your utter and complete indifference.

Demogorgon
11-23-2022, 05:45 PM
There's a simple solution: don't click on ANY Twitter link. Not a one. Deprive the site of the oxygen that it needs, and let it become whatever it's going to become, but above all: give it your utter and complete indifference.

I must be ahead of the curve; i've been doing this for years.

chuckrh
11-23-2022, 06:08 PM
I must be ahead of the curve; i've been doing this for years.
Except for this & a few other music sites I avoid social media. Don't have accounts on any of it & don't miss it.

butter_hole
11-24-2022, 04:01 PM
People love to come into threads about social media websites they don't use and make sure everyone knows they don't use it. You want a medal or something? You want a little handshake from God?

Khrz
11-24-2022, 04:17 PM
Well in a thread where everyone is saying Twitter is shitty and toxic and shouldn't deserve any clicks, they're participating in the discussion by saying they're satisfied with their decisions.

So if that triggers any negative emotions, that might be your responsibility to deal with that ?

Demogorgon
11-24-2022, 06:49 PM
You want a medal or something? You want a little handshake from God?

Sure, why not? i'd value it as much as i ever valued a website that was trash long before it was bought out by a billionaire for his own amusement.

Khrz
11-24-2022, 07:37 PM
I see a lot of you talking like that about Twitter and honestly I don't quite get it. It's shitty compared to what ? As opposed to what ?
My point is, which online space (or even space at all for that matter) isn't trash, by the same metric ? Tumblr, Facebook, Reddit, Pinterest, TikTok, Instagram, Youtube, Wikipedia... Which one is the safe harbor against which Twitter gets compared and deemed particularly trash ?

Look at the size of the user base, what do you guys expect ? Even here, this speck of antique BBcode dust, we get feuds and trolls and big "The fuck did he just say ?!" moments, and how many active users is that ?

butter_hole
11-24-2022, 07:50 PM
So if that triggers any negative emotions, that might be your responsibility to deal with that ?
I thought this thread made it pretty clear that people's negative emotions are for others to deal with.

nooneimportant
11-30-2022, 09:50 PM
I've been using the internet for over 20 years. Twitter is as shitty and toxic as the internet has always been, in fact dare I say it was way worse back in the early 2000's. You just gotta stay away from the bad parts of the Internet. Twitter is what it is and that's a website where people post things like anywhere else.

Trent always didn't really like Twitter and I don't blame him, he's a celebrity and reaching out to fans can get real hectic sometimes. I seem to remember he quit Twitter years ago because he was being harassed about his marriage, which is a very understandable move.