View Full Version : Mastodon

Pages : [1] 2

LaneSax
01-24-2012, 09:16 AM
check out their new video for Dry Bone Valley

http://www.nme.com/nme-video/mastodon---dry-bone-valley/1410696668001

october_midnight
01-24-2012, 06:12 PM
First date of Mastodon's upcoming tour with Opeth and Ghost (which sounds sick as hell to me) has been revealed:

House Of Blues - Las Vegas, NV - April 25

Space Suicide
01-24-2012, 10:17 PM
Mastodon makes my metaphorical music dick hard.

richardp
01-24-2012, 10:57 PM
Mastodon is definitely my favorite modern metal band. Everyone seemed to hate The Hunter, but I thought The Hunter was probably the best album of theirs they've done yet. I love how they've been touring with such great bands lately. Deftones, Dillinger, and now Opeth? Really hope that tour comes to KC.

Kid Charlemagne
01-24-2012, 11:10 PM
I liked The Hunter actually. I know a lot of people think it's their weakest and I do too, but I still thought it was a great album. It was pretty much straight forward rock and roll which was a nice change and the riffs were still pretty sick. Opeth though? This is going to be nuts.

LaneSax
01-25-2012, 01:39 AM
overall, love all their albums but i really like The Hunter best. It's a very complete album to me and doesn't hurt that it's bloody catchy.

Ripe(withdecay)
01-25-2012, 05:47 PM
Big fan of Mastodon. Love "Crack The Skye" and "The Hunter". I'd love to see them anytime soon.

Pillfred
01-26-2012, 12:11 PM
I've been wanting to go to a good show for a while now and the only thing coming around in Gigantour, which while decent isn't what I'm looking to hear. Mastadon and Opeth however would fill that void nicely.

cashpiles (closed)
01-27-2012, 12:53 AM
I've always seen the potential awesomeness of Mastodon, but many of their songs simply don't suit my tastes. However, there are 2 songs that combine their brutal sound with mind-warping riffs and compositions that completely rock: Sleeping Giant and Curl of the Burl.

october_midnight
01-31-2012, 10:02 AM
BOOM.

01-31 Berlin, Germany - C-Club/Astra
02-02 Cologne, Germany - Essigfabrik/E-Werk
02-03 Tiburg, Holland - 013
02-05 Bristol, England - O2 Academy Bristol
02-06 Manchester, England - Manchester Academy
02-07 Glasgow, Scotland - Barrowlands
02-09 Norwich, England - University of East Anglia
02-10 Birmingham, England - HMV Institute
02-11 London, England - O2 Academy Brixton
02-25 Brisbane, Australia - Soundwave Festival
02-26 Sydney, Australia - Soundwave Festival
02-27 Melbourne, Australia - Billboard
03-01 Sydney, Australia - The Hi-Fi
03-02 Melbourne, Australia - Soundwave Festival
03-03 Adelaide, Australia - Soundwave Festival
03-05 Perth, Australia - Soundwave Festival
04-04 Portland, ME - State Theater * #
04-05 Boston, MA - Orpheum Theater * !
04-06 Montreal, Quebec - Metropolis *!
04-07 Toronto, Ontario - Sony Centre * !
04-09 Philadelphia, PA - Electric Factory * #
04-10 Wallingford, CT - The Dome * #
04-11 New York, NY - Roseland Ballroom * #
04-13 Chicago, IL - Riviera Theatre * #
04-14 Grand Rapids, MI - The Intersection * #
04-15 Pittsburgh, PA - Stage AE * #
04-16 Knoxville, TN - TN Theater * !
04-18 Oklahoma City, OK - Diamond Ballroom * #
04-19 Dallas, TX - Palladium Ballroom * !
04-20 San Antonio, TX - Back Stage Live * !
04-21 Corpus Christi, TX - Concrete Street * !
04-23 Denver, CO - Fillmore Auditorium * !
04-25 Las Vegas, NV - House of Blues * #
04-26 Los Angeles, CA - Gibson Amphitheatre * !
04-27 Oakland, CA Fox Theatre * !
04-28 Reno, NV - Grand Sierra Resort * #
04-30 Seattle, WA - The Paramount * !
05-01 Vancouver, British Columbia - Orpheum Theatre * !
05-03 Edmonton, Alberta - Edmonton Events Center * !
05-04 Calgary, Alberta - MacEwan Hall * #
05-05 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan - The Odeon * !
05-06 Winnipeg, Manitoba - Burton Cummings Theatre * !
05-09 Washington, D.C. - The Fillmore * #
05-10 Charlotte, NC The Fillmore * #
05-11 Myrtle Beach, SC - House of Blues * #
05-12 Atlanta, GA - Masquerade Music Park * #
* with Opeth and Ghost
# Mastodon closes show
! Opeth closes show

Pillfred
01-31-2012, 01:17 PM
Well thats fucked.... I guess i could try to make it to one of the shows in Canada.

october_midnight
04-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Less than a month now, fuck yes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkcL1yP3qGI

Maximilian
04-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Hell yes, a little over 2 weeks for me. I bought all three band's albums last year, so fucking rare that I like every band on a line-up.

LaneSax
04-21-2012, 12:26 PM
Feistodon sounds great! Personally love the Flaming Lips cover more

check them out here

http://fuckyeahmastodon.tumblr.com/

Wretchedest
04-21-2012, 02:04 PM
The sets make me sad. Very new album intensive. Didn't like the hunter at all... Heritage was good but... not for an ENTIRE set....

bobbie solo
04-23-2012, 01:16 AM
i like The Hunter, but jeez. practically the whole album? barely any old stuff? not cool dudes. you could cut 5 or 6 Hunter tracks and you'd still have a Hunter intensive setlist. Oh well.

Space Suicide
05-09-2012, 05:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6F2SSWRdG0

cahernandez
07-29-2012, 02:16 PM
Pictures from the Ghost, Opeth, Mastodon show in Seattle (April 30 2012):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38440152@N06/sets/72157629674691490/

LaneSax
07-31-2012, 09:59 PM
Feistodon available on digital now

neat video too

http://www.listentofeist.com/feistodon/

SM Rollinger
08-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Damn, their not coming any where near me. Last time i saw these guys was when they were touring for Blood Mountain. Oh well.

I really like Dry Bone Valley and Bedazzled Fingernails off the Hunter, but thats about it. Its not a bad album, it just doesnt get me excited like Levithan and Crack the Skye did. Seems like its every other album with these guys for me.

LaneSax
12-10-2013, 11:48 PM
Live at Brixton is truly awesome. Such a shame it's not gonna be released on physical formats.

Perfect setlist too.

eversonpoe
12-11-2013, 04:55 PM
Damn, their not coming any where near me. Last time i saw these guys was when they were touring for Blood Mountain. Oh well.

I really like Dry Bone Valley and Bedazzled Fingernails off the Hunter, but thats about it. Its not a bad album, it just doesnt get me excited like Levithan and Crack the Skye did. Seems like its every other album with these guys for me.

wait, you didn't like blood mountain? i love both leviathan and crack the skye, but i feel like blood mountain is just a fucking masterpiece.

also, i feel like the hunter is a good album for a casual or new mastodon listener to start with and then work backwards, but it's by no means up to the standards of their previous efforts.

(sorry i'm replying to a post that's over a year old)

henryeatscereal
12-11-2013, 04:57 PM
I'm glad someone bumped this because Mastodoon is awesome!

I need a new album, ASAP

october_midnight
02-03-2014, 01:21 PM
New album on the way, new tour dates with Gojira and Kvelertak (who you should see if you have the chance...they SLAY live).

02-22 Brisbane, Australia - RNA Showgrounds
02-23 Sydney, Australia - Olympic Park
02-28 Melbourne, Australia - Flemington Racecourse
03-01 Adelaide, Australia - Boynthon Park
03-03 Perth, Australia - Claremont Showgrounds
04-29 Portland, OR - Roseland Theater *
05-01 Oakland, CA - Fox Theater *
05-02 Los Angeles, CA - Nokia Theater *
05-03 Las Vegas, NV - House of Blues *
05-07 Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue *
05-08 Chicago, IL - The Riviera Theater *
05-09 Pittsburgh, PA - Stage AE *
05-12 Buffalo, NY - The Town Ballroom *
05-13 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club *
05-15 New York, NY - Terminal 5 *
05-16 Boston, MA - The Palladium *
05-17 Philadelphia, PA - Electric Factory *
05-18 Columbus, OH - Rock On The Range
06-04 Hamburg, Germany - Imtech Arena
* with Gojira and Kvelertak

LaneSax
03-07-2014, 09:24 PM
looks like the only way to get a physical copy of Live at Brixton is on Record Store Day.

Vinyl set will come with a dvd and only 2,000 copies

FernandoDante
03-07-2014, 09:30 PM
looks like the only way to get a physical copy of Live at Brixton is on Record Store Day.

Vinyl set will come with a dvd and only 2,000 copies
FUCK that's ridiculous. I really want that damn DVD. Fuck digital-only.

LaneSax
04-03-2014, 08:25 AM
from their Facebook

Dearest Mastodon fans, after many hours in the studio riffing out,We are excited to announce our new album is almost complete. It is in the finals of being mastered.
We are gearing up for our US tour with Gojira and Kvelertak next month!
Looking forward to seeing you all out there on the High Road in May!

LaneSax
04-04-2014, 08:42 PM
new album title is "Once More Round the Sun"

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/04/mastodons-troy-sanders-talks-new-album-once-more-r.html

very excited to read that there is at least enough leftover material for an additional EP!

october_midnight
04-17-2014, 10:42 AM
New single 'High Road'. (http://www.mastodonrocks.com/highroad)

LaneSax
04-17-2014, 12:05 PM
interesting song, didn't quite like it til I heard the chorus.
cannot wait for this album!

dvdglss
04-17-2014, 12:26 PM
Oh man.. that guitar bridge/solo at 3:15 in? AWESOME!!!

eversonpoe
04-18-2014, 12:47 AM
holy fucking shit that is a good song.

why does it say "see you on the high road april 29th"? the album's not coming out that soon, is it? i can't find pre-order info anywhere...

side note: live at brixton is probably my #1 most desired item for record store day. i'm getting up at 5am to take the train to my favorite record store in chicago and wait outside for 4+ hours so i don't have a repeat of 2012 when i couldn't get anything i wanted.

LaneSax
04-18-2014, 06:17 AM
why does it say "see you on the high road april 29th"? the album's not coming out that soon, is it? i can't find pre-order info anywhere...

I believe that is when the single will be officially released. As for the album, I been reading June.

all the best getting Live at Brixton too, I am still praying for a physical release on cd and blu ray !

cahernandez
04-18-2014, 08:16 AM
holy fucking shit that is a good song.

side note: live at brixton is probably my #1 most desired item for record store day. i'm getting up at 5am to take the train to my favorite record store in chicago and wait outside for 4+ hours so i don't have a repeat of 2012 when i couldn't get anything i wanted.

The tour starts on April 28th, maybe it's that?

SM Rollinger
04-18-2014, 04:04 PM
May 7th at 1st Avenue? Fuck that, thats the same place I saw them last, on 2 hits of LSD (i already told the story in the drug thread.)

Sweet new track though, im excited for this one!!

Wretchedest
04-18-2014, 11:16 PM
so, am I the only one who thinks this song is godawful?

thevoid99
04-19-2014, 12:02 AM
I fucking dig it. The riffs, the solos, the drumming. Mastodon is for fucking real. Plus, they're from Atlanta. I'm proud of those guys.

LaneSax
04-19-2014, 01:38 AM
I hope the new album has more of Brann singing besides awesome drumming.
He is quickly becoming one of my all time favorite musicians.

ibanez33
04-19-2014, 03:56 AM
so, am I the only one who thinks this song is godawful?

Definitely not. I really like it, but I've seen a lot of people that don't. The fact is, though, the first song put out is always only decent at best. The first song we got from CTS was Divinations, and the first from The Hunter was Curl Of The Burl. I like both of those songs, too, but the rest of those albums were loaded with WAY better stuff.

eversonpoe
04-19-2014, 05:41 PM
I believe that is when the single will be officially released. As for the album, I been reading June.

all the best getting Live at Brixton too, I am still praying for a physical release on cd and blu ray !

i got it! the record store i went to actually had 5 copies, but i got up at 5am and got there at 6am just to make sure i could get it (and everything else i wanted).

really looking forward to spinning it.

LaneSax
04-19-2014, 09:46 PM
i got it! the record store i went to actually had 5 copies, but i got up at 5am and got there at 6am just to make sure i could get it (and everything else i wanted).

really looking forward to spinning it.
Congrats! Enjoy your very loud weekend!

dunebug81
04-20-2014, 04:31 AM
Anyone get the vinyl/DVD release today? I slept in til 11 today and didn't bother trying to go downtown to Criminal Records to get it. 50+ copies on ebay going for about $60 a pop. Im not sure what the instore price was but I guess thats not too outrageous.

eversonpoe
04-20-2014, 10:00 AM
Anyone get the vinyl/DVD release today? I slept in til 11 today and didn't bother trying to go downtown to Criminal Records to get it. 50+ copies on ebay going for about $60 a pop. Im not sure what the instore price was but I guess thats not too outrageous.

i said right above that i got it :p

it was $40 in-store, which is pretty good for 180g 2xLP with a DVD that's limited to, what, 1000 copies?

dlb
04-21-2014, 05:19 AM
I've totally lost any connection to this band since crack the skye came out up to the point where I can't understand the general praise they get. Mastodon have changed their sound so radically that I just don't care about the new direction they are heading since. They have progressed, that's for sure, but not in a way that I seem to appreciate.

The new song sound cool and all that but that is absolutely not the band anymore that I so fell for in the past. Does anyone else feel like this? I'll once in a while get back to them and see if something clicks but it hasn't since.

eversonpoe
04-21-2014, 09:10 AM
I've totally lost any connection to this band since crack the skye came out up to the point where I can't understand the general praise they get. Mastodon have changed their sound so radically that I just don't care about the new direction they are heading since. They have progressed, that's for sure, but not in a way that I seem to appreciate.

The new song sound cool and all that but that is absolutely not the band anymore that I so fell for in the past. Does anyone else feel like this? I'll once in a while get back to them and see if something clicks but it hasn't since.

i feel like the progression of their sound has been pretty organic, but i also didn't get into them until crack the skye came out, and then i worked my way backwards. are you saying you did or did not like crack the skye?

also, what you're describing is kind of what happened to me with incubus; the last album of theirs i liked was a crow left of the murder, which took them in a brilliant direction, and then their next album was just so fucking BORING.
i don't personally feel like mastodon has done that, so i'm sorry you've lost touch with their music. maybe the new album will click with you?

50 Volt Phantom
04-21-2014, 11:03 PM

I am with you. This band peaked with "Leviathan," after that it's been hit or miss, this new track is a big miss.

LaneSax
04-21-2014, 11:38 PM
I been a fan since Blood Mountain and while I miss some of their heavier styles, I am really glad that they sound like they're singing now more than just gibberish screaming.

Personally I think Crack the Skye is their weakest album but as long as the music still sounds good, I don't care if Troy is even rapping on the next album.

cahernandez
04-27-2014, 01:53 PM
For those who are going to see Mastodon this tour, and haven't heard anything by Gojira or Kvelertak (like me), here's a free split live EP:
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/splitliveep

LaneSax
04-28-2014, 01:21 AM
bit of a review for the new one

http://www.media.wmg-is.com/media/portal/media/cms/docs/201404/mastodon-bio--april-2014_1397762855119.pdf

The Doctor
04-28-2014, 09:36 AM
Does anyone else think the mix for the new Brixton live recording sounds awful? It seems like the vocals are barely audible. Great set list, but the buried vocals kill it for me...

eversonpoe
04-28-2014, 03:15 PM
Does anyone else think the mix for the new Brixton live recording sounds awful? It seems like the vocals are barely audible. Great set list, but the buried vocals kill it for me...

i haven't listened to the digital version yet, but on vinyl, it sounds pretty good. if anything, the guitars are a tiny bit muddy, but that was my only complaint.

LaneSax
04-28-2014, 11:47 PM
we have a release date! sick sick artwork as usual!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/10269461_10152422434607948_1931390262052847159_n.j pg

more awesomeness with their guide of Atlanta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t6lx6oZ1qc

artwork and tracks on amazon too!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71WZXcHSAUL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Once-More-Round-The-Explicit/dp/B00JTHY2YA/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_tnr_1

cahernandez
04-29-2014, 10:52 AM
Went to the Seattle show last night. Holy cow that setlist was stacked, the first 5 songs were straight punches to the face. Since it was the first show of the tour I'll put the spoilers tag:

Setlist (confirmed, order is correct)
Hearts Alive
Divinations
Crusher Destroyer
Capillarian Crest
Black Tongue
Bladecatcher
Crystal Skull
Trampled Under Hoof
Siberian Divide
Naked Burn
Megalodon
Oblivion
Octopus Has No Friends
Chimes at Midnight (new song)
High Road
Aqua Dementia
(Encore)
The Sparrow

I was definitely not expecting them to open with Hearts Alive...what a way to kick off the night. Fourth Mastodon concert, second time I get to see this song*, which has eventually become my second favorite off of Leviathan. They actually played quite a bit of Leviathan songs (4). The (recorded) banjo intro for Divinations also got me suuuper excited, and then for Crusher Destroyer they had the T-Rex intro, which prepared me for what was next. I was on a high for a good portion of the show, I think I calmed down until "Octopus Has No Friends" (some of the material in The Hunter does not hit me as hard as stuff from previous records).

Oblivion...oh my word. Sounded a lot better than when I saw them during the Crack the Skye tour. Maybe because it was during the middle of the set the guys were more confident about it (as y'all know bands typically work out the kinks of the sound during the first songs, which was the case for "Oblivion" during the Crack the Skye tour).

They played a new song (besides High Road), Chimes at Midnight, in my opinion it sounded a lot better than High Road (I didn't like the vocals of this past song that much). In fact, during High Road Brann sang a little bit off key, and I was standing by the soundboard, the sound guy made a gesture to the lights tech while Brann was singing, something like "what the hell?". But based on Chimes at Midnight (which wasn't introduced by the band), I think we can expect a solid record from Mastodon.

What else...glad to hear Siberian Divide, it took time for me to fully appreciate this song but now it's become one of my favorites off Blood Mountain. First time for me to hear it live. It's so refreshing to go to the first show of a tour, you absolutely do not know what to expect (although I'm kinda good about not looking at setlists before going to a show in a tour). Band was on fire.

Kvelertak was alright, and so was Gojira. Gojira was a tiny bit too samey for me, but nonetheless these two bands set the stage properly for Mastodon. Merch? Kvelertak had some good looking shirts, there was a tour sampler (CD) with a song from each band, Mastodon was selling vinyl for Call of the Mastodon, Leviathan, Crack the Skye (and maybe something else). Shirts-wise, I didn't see anything that related to the artwork of Once More 'Round the Sun.

*When I first wrote this post I thought it had been my first time watching this song live, BUT I just checked the setlist for their 2006 show in Munich (which I attended with a friend) during their stint opening for Tool, and they closed their set with Hearts Alive (that set turned me onto Mastodon, but since I wasn't acquainted with the songs it made me forget what they played that night, it was a long time ago!).

eversonpoe
04-29-2014, 04:01 PM
really wish it wasn't $70. i'd drop $50 on it for sure...but $70 for a 2xLP is a bit much...

more info (http://store.warnermusic.com/once-more-round-the-sun-2lp-vinyl.html?intcmp=140428%2Fmastodon%2Fwbr%2Fspl%2F s_pr%2Fbut%2Fbdy%2Fus%2Foncemoreroundthesun_splash _lp)

Space Suicide
04-29-2014, 04:26 PM
I always love their album covers. This one, however, looks like it'll make my eyes bleed about five times more likely than the past ones.

LaneSax
04-29-2014, 09:31 PM
yup that LP is a little too expensive for me since Im just buying it for the art.

Will stick to the cd, disappointed there isnt gonna be a bonus dvd

Conan The Barbarian
04-29-2014, 09:38 PM
Really?? 70 fucking bucks?

cahernandez
04-29-2014, 11:24 PM
Picture from last night

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5534/14041224346_d265073eae_b.jpg

eversonpoe
04-30-2014, 08:36 AM
wow! that is a teeny, tiny stage! i would have been so stoked to see them in a venue like that instead of at the aragon in chicago (in 2009).

Madmya
05-01-2014, 09:54 AM
Personally I think Crack the Skye is their weakest album but as long as the music still sounds good, I don't care if Troy is even rapping on the next album.

If Crack the Skye is their weakest album then holy fuck that's a good band right there.

LaneSax
05-01-2014, 10:11 AM
If Crack the Skye is their weakest album then holy fuck that's a good band right there.
exactly, from my point of view anyways.

I think all their albums are 5 star ones and I don't think many bands are that consistent.
Mastodon are really THAT GOOD to my ears.

digging these videos from Metal Hammer too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t6lx6oZ1qc

LaneSax
05-01-2014, 10:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjMbxl0RmQI

eversonpoe
05-01-2014, 05:26 PM
if you haven't seen this, it'll make you love brent even more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wy_mXuEsP0

eversonpoe
05-01-2014, 05:28 PM
and, of course, bloopers, which are 5 times as long as the commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7zpD6kP7oE

Damian
05-05-2014, 02:14 PM
Was guested listed by Brent for the SLC gig, had some fun preshow but they had to head out to Denver right after our show, so didn't hang for more than an hour or so after the gig. Got to meet all the guys, mainly partied with Brent but they were all really cool guys. Played a great set, the venue they were at sounded top notch too. Gojira was the tightest band I've ever seen, so god damn heavy.

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1.0-9/1959340_10203388777577824_219705650645720649_n.jpg

eversonpoe
05-05-2014, 04:59 PM
does anyone own the 2xLP version of crack the skye? i refuse to buy the single disc version (with shortened songs) but i'm also having a really hard time justifying dropping $150 on the deluxe version. which is also making me wonder if i should just spend the $70 on the new album so i don't have the same issue down the line. :/

Madmya
05-06-2014, 12:04 AM
I think the LP might be a good investment. Might not be either.

Had no idea the 2xLP version of Crack the Skye had longer songs.

richardp
05-06-2014, 02:07 AM
I think the LP might be a good investment. Might not be either.

Had no idea the 2xLP version of Crack the Skye had longer songs.

hmm. I didn't either and I don't think I even recall noticing any missing sections or anything like that. Is there any proof to this?

LaneSax
05-06-2014, 02:28 AM
Wasn't aware a longer CTS existed

There is an instrumental CTS though.

eversonpoe
05-06-2014, 08:40 AM
i'm pretty sure it's not longer, it's that the single disc vinyl version is shorter, or at least that's my understanding.

here's the 2xLP on discogs (http://www.discogs.com/Mastodon-Crack-The-Skye/release/1769108).

on amazon's product page (http://www.amazon.com/Crack-Skye-Vinyl-Mastodon/dp/B001RP22G2) for the single disc version, all the tracks are listed as "vinyl album version" which i've never seen before, so i assumed they were shorter edits of the songs. especially because putting that album on only two sides of vinyl is really pushing the time limits.

also, i'm assuming that, much like the 2xLP 45rpm version of blood mountain vs. the single disc version at 33rpm (i own both), the sound quality is VASTLY improved by the heavyweight pressing and 45rpm mastering.

eversonpoe
05-08-2014, 08:01 PM
so, shop radio cast has the new album for $36.99 (http://www.shopradiocast.com/products/Mastodon-%252d-Once-More-Round-The-Sun-2XLP.html), and it's still a 2xLP, but it doesn't say anything about it being 180g or the double-gatefold sleeve...thoughts? i'm thinking of just getting it from them.

cahernandez
05-10-2014, 01:28 AM
I got the Live at Brixton LP at my local record store today. Was surprised to see it, RSD was like a month ago, right? And they still had two copies! I don't even have a record player, or a vinyl collection, but I think I'm going to have to buy a record player now.

Hey eversonpoe, the venue where I saw Mastodon is called the Showbox @ Sodo, it's by the Mariners and the Seahawks stadium. For me is not the best venue in Seattle, I was close to the stage for that picture but the venue is actually quite big (long), and still it was packed. And for some reason there were lots and lots of tall people at the concert (and I'm short) so it was quite difficult to find a vantage point where I could watch the concert. It's kinda difficult to describe that place, but it's not the best place to catch a show if you're short.

ibanez33
05-10-2014, 01:52 AM
Wasn't aware a longer CTS existed

There is an instrumental CTS though.

The "longer" one is the regular songs, they were just shortened a bit for the single-disc vinyl pressing because of time restrictions.

LaneSax
05-10-2014, 07:40 AM
The "longer" one is the regular songs, they were just shortened a bit for the single-disc vinyl pressing because of time restrictions.
thanks for the clarification!

Damian
05-10-2014, 11:27 AM
The 2xLP Crack 45RPM and the 1xLP 33RPM I believe are the same length. I don't own the 2xLP but bought the 1xLP at the show to have the band sign (the one posted above) and listen to it last night and no difference in song lengths/segues/etc.

henryeatscereal
05-14-2014, 11:54 PM
Holy crap, this Toronto poster rules!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-mYLitzwJVN8/U3B3rreHXiI/AAAAAAABEQU/rX5bhOSkIhk/s1600/mastodon-Miles-Tsang-Toronto-Poster-1.gif

LaneSax
05-16-2014, 10:05 PM
the Winter EP could potentially be pushed back for a studio album next year

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/mastodon_hoping_to_release_another_full-length_album_next_year.html

LaneSax
05-23-2014, 12:30 PM
wow...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKLZIWcfYug&feature=youtu.be&eml=2014May23/1582253/6010951

LaneSax
05-28-2014, 12:06 AM
and Chimes at Midnight has leaked

http://celestialfrequenciesalign.tumblr.com/post/86864235297/mastodon-chimes-at-midnight

Maximilian
05-28-2014, 12:21 AM
So far this album is reminding me of The Hunter Part II, not that it's a bad thing in my book........

Mr. Blaileen
05-28-2014, 08:16 PM
In the words of the great Larry David...prettay, prettay, prettayyyyyy, pretty good.

LaneSax
06-01-2014, 10:20 AM
some info on the new EP

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/mastodons-brent-hinds-on-the-bands-upcoming-album-and-ep-598643/

and a picture from the High Road video!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t1.0-9/10314700_10152491610322948_4711875117371213794_n.j pg

eversonpoe
06-02-2014, 12:29 AM
review on bloody disgusting (http://bloody-disgusting.com/reviews/3296825/album-review-mastodon-round-sun/) (for some reason) that's positive but not very well-written...

LaneSax
06-02-2014, 11:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6zU87xJoBk

https://31.media.tumblr.com/37b535c0be5c1e688ea59c0debcfd7bf/tumblr_n6lf26NRqL1qa91dpo1_1280.jpg

eversonpoe
06-03-2014, 12:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6zU87xJoBk

ok, yeah, i'm definitely pre-ordering the deluxe version.

also, the image that pops up near the end (of the band) is HILARIOUS.

LaneSax
06-05-2014, 03:26 AM
New bundle available for pre-order

http://store.warnermusic.com/catalog/product/view/id/583044/s/mastodon-once-more-round-the-sun-prehistoric-chopper-mirror/

LaneSax
06-06-2014, 03:03 AM
damn I love stuff like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ5W-64P2wg

ibanez33
06-06-2014, 03:20 AM
^^ Bretts little riff at the end there was awesome. If the album has a lot of his twangy surf type stuff like he did on Crack The Skye or with West End Motel, I'll be in heaven.

They also did "behind the scenes" stuff for Blood Mountain, CTS, and The Hunter, too. Also possibly Leviathan, I can't remember. The BM and CTS extras are pretty shit quality videos though, not sure if they were ever part of any official releases or what the deal is with those. IIRC the band added the Hunter extras to YouTube themselves.

LaneSax
06-06-2014, 03:47 AM
^^ Bretts little riff at the end there was awesome. If the album has a lot of his twangy surf type stuff like he did on Crack The Skye or with West End Motel, I'll be in heaven.

They also did "behind the scenes" stuff for Blood Mountain, CTS, and The Hunter, too. Also possibly Leviathan, I can't remember. The BM and CTS extras are pretty shit quality videos though, not sure if they were ever part of any official releases or what the deal is with those. IIRC the band added the Hunter extras to YouTube themselves.
The making of BM, CTS and Hunter were included with the album versions that came with the dvd.
I was hoping the new one would have a dvd too. Oh well glad they are on Youtube at least.

ibanez33
06-06-2014, 04:03 AM
I was hoping the new one would have a dvd too. Oh well glad they are on Youtube at least.

I'm gonna hold out a bit longer for them to announce a deluxe CD version. If there isn't one by the end of the end of the month, I'll just grab the regular version I guess. The deluxe LP looks gorgeous, but I can't afford a turntable setup at the moment.

eversonpoe
06-09-2014, 08:45 AM

there's a DVD called "the workhorse chronicles" that's about the making of leviathan (might have some live footage, too, but i can't remember).

LaneSax
06-09-2014, 01:18 PM
there's a DVD called "the workhorse chronicles" that's about the making of leviathan (might have some live footage, too, but i can't remember).
Yeh that dvd has live footage from various venues.
Its a great dvd and recommend anyone who hasn't got it to get it now. It's pretty cheap wherever I see it online.

Wretchedest
06-10-2014, 12:33 PM
I don't know what happened here... but somewhere after Crack the Skye these guys just stopped giving a fuck. That "This is just a job" quote holds a lot of truth, it seems, because this new material, and everything on "The Hunter" was bland, boring and effortless as hell. Like they literally aren't even trying with these. These are just formulaic, simplified versions of songs they've already made.

It's a shame because there is so much talent in those first four albums, and there are a lot of brilliant ideas there.

SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY
06-10-2014, 04:45 PM
I don't know what happened here... but somewhere after Crack the Skye these guys just stopped giving a fuck. That "This is just a job" quote holds a lot of truth, it seems, because this new material, and everything on "The Hunter" was bland, boring and effortless as hell. Like they literally aren't even trying with these. These are just formulaic, simplified versions of songs they've already made.

It's a shame because there is so much talent in those first four albums, and there are a lot of brilliant ideas there.

No disrespect intended but I totally disagree with that whole post. It is hard task when you are as innovative as they were to not repeat yourself a bit but I really feel like they grow with each release. I love what they have become and I am glad they are heading more down the road of classic-prog rock rather than being more and more aggro like some bands do. It is a nice evolution and I can't wait for the new album. A friend of mine convinced me to go to their show on the Remission tour and I have been truly hooked every since! They are going to have to do something pretty shitty to lose me as a fan. I think Crack The Skye is my favorite but it really depends on the mood.

P.S. I would love to hear those lost Jonah Hex tracks!

50 Volt Phantom
06-10-2014, 08:18 PM

Totally agree, but I also think they peaked at "Leviathan" so.... Regardless this is the first album where nothing about the first couple tracks has even interested me.

LaneSax
06-11-2014, 11:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Aw1WnNVcYw

eversonpoe
06-11-2014, 11:16 AM
finally broke down yesterday and pre-ordered the deluxe edition vinyl. it better sound fucking fantastic.

SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY
06-12-2014, 12:31 AM
I'm gonna take the "HIGH ROAD" on this one!

Totally agree, but I also think they peaked at "Leviathan" so.... Regardless this is the first album where nothing about the first couple tracks has even interested me.

mwt
06-12-2014, 05:57 PM
drip, drip, and all.

armogi
06-12-2014, 08:11 PM
drip, drip, and all.

cool, i wasnt expecting the leak until this week-end, listening now!

Reznor2112
06-13-2014, 09:14 AM
Could someone PM me a non-torrent version as I am at work and the 2 links I have found say that the files have been removed due to copyright. I'd really appreciate it.

theSplinter04
06-13-2014, 02:05 PM
128kbps though

thevoid99
06-13-2014, 03:00 PM
As well as 256kps as well. Sorry but it has to be 320kps, FLAC, Apple Lossless, or nothing.

Reznor2112
06-13-2014, 03:32 PM
I guess i'll just wait then.

LaneSax
06-13-2014, 10:26 PM
I will wait til the CD is in my hands

LaneSax
06-16-2014, 03:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR7icis_13M

LaneSax
06-16-2014, 02:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqgNVNDi5iQ

ibanez33
06-16-2014, 08:58 PM
"Asleep In The Deep" is pretty fucking cool, favorite song so far. I'm probably just going to be listening to this album all night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Aw1WnNVcYw

Fuck, I wish the band was in the big LARP fight :(

the duder
06-17-2014, 09:12 AM
Ember City is my favorite thus far.

LaneSax
06-17-2014, 12:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6hqOpJd0K8&feature=youtu.be

richardp
06-18-2014, 01:20 AM
The Motherload is transcendent as hell. Can't get enough of this track.

LaneSax
06-18-2014, 05:29 AM
The Motherload is transcendent as hell. Can't get enough of this track.
I caved and listen to that track only cos it sounded so good in the "making of" video.
If there are tracks better than that on the album, I am gonna be a very very happy man.

looks like the mystery of why Brent is balding has been solved too..

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/10425087_648442781896695_2262447316861874342_n.jpg

richardp
06-18-2014, 12:30 PM
Jeeeeesus fuck that had to have resulted in the worst headache ever.

Reznor2112
06-18-2014, 01:24 PM
Jeeeeesus fuck that had to have resulted in the worst headache ever.

Troooof! Haha

But in all seriousness, where the FUCK did "The Motherload" come from? Thats some badass 80's hair metal fuckin awesome if I've ever heard it.

Album is worth that damn song alone. Pre-ordering now!

EDIT: Man, I've had The Motherload on repeat. Thats some optimistic shit...

LaneSax
06-24-2014, 03:37 AM
dont forget to buy the album!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QjewRNSwkQ

LaneSax
06-24-2014, 03:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxTMSUmdjOA

ibanez33
06-24-2014, 04:40 AM
I caved and listen to that track only cos it sounded so good in the "making of" video.
If there are tracks better than that on the album, I am gonna be a very very happy man.

looks like the mystery of why Brent is balding has been solved too..

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/10425087_648442781896695_2262447316861874342_n.jpg

You know that almost his entire head is tattooed, right? Check out some pictures or videos from the early days when his hair was short, or even in that video posted early when he's driving to the studio, you can see a lot of it. *edit* actually I think like 80% of Brent in general is probably tattooed at this point.

LaneSax
06-24-2014, 07:34 AM
You know that almost his entire head is tattooed, right? Check out some pictures or videos from the early days when his hair was short, or even in that video posted early when he's driving to the studio, you can see a lot of it. *edit* actually I think like 80% of Brent in general is probably tattooed at this point.
Yes I know about Brent's tattoos and how his face and head area got inked pre Crack the Skye

There has been an online debate since the Pinkpop performance as to why the top of his head was bald...hence the picture to solve that mystery.

eversonpoe
06-24-2014, 02:57 PM
(sorry for the crappy picture quality, there was something stuck on the lens and i didn't notice until after i took them)

http://photos-a.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xfp1/10467931_736384523089112_1160449675_n.jpg

the lithographs are awesome, too, even though one of them had gotten inserted way too far and was stuck in the glue (but i managed to get it out without ruining anything). also, the presentation of the CD in the package is really nice. usually they just throw them in a plain paper sleeve and stick them in one of the sections with the record, but this had its own little cardstock envelope with artwork, and a special slot on one side of the outer-inner gatefold.

can't wait to listen to it when i get home.

Mr. Blaileen
06-24-2014, 03:06 PM
After the first listen, honestly, I wasn't that thrilled with it. A higher quality leak and a few listens later, I'm loving it. Tread Lightly, Halloween, and Aunt Lisa are my favorites so far.

ibanez33
06-24-2014, 05:15 PM
Yes I know about Brent's tattoos and how his face and head area got inked pre Crack the Skye

There has been an online debate since the Pinkpop performance as to why the top of his head was bald...hence the picture to solve that mystery.

Ahhhh, okay. I didn't realize this one was new, didn't watch the Pinkpop show so I didn't know he was currently bald. I kinda want him to just shave his whole head for a while so we can see everything.

eversonpoe
06-25-2014, 04:58 PM
oh, man...i'm only two tracks in and this record is slaying me. so fucking good. a perfect evolution of their sound from the hunter (which i liked a lot). the vocals on "the motherload" are fantastic. hot damn.

also, the double 180g turned out to be a really good investment, because it sounds pristine.

seasonsinthesky
06-25-2014, 06:56 PM
that's great to hear after the bullshit they pulled with the Crack the Skye vinyl editions.

LaneSax
06-25-2014, 11:20 PM
album of the year... no doubts

I am amazed how the band keeps up with this consistency.

As a Ramones fan..I love how "Aunt Lisa" ends!

eversonpoe
06-26-2014, 01:09 AM
that's great to hear after the bullshit they pulled with the Crack the Skye vinyl editions.

could you elaborate? i had posted something a while back wondering if the tracks on the single-disc version of crack the skye were shorter, since the album is too long (in digital/cd form) to fit on two sides of a 12" 33.

nothing8
06-26-2014, 06:26 AM
album of the year... no doubts

Agreed 100%. Every song on this album is awesome in its own way, although I will admit I'm not the greatest fan of "Asleep In The Deep". The whole thing just sounds amazing, I've listened to the whole thing start to finish about 5 times since I got my free download code (apparently Warner decided it was a great idea to let me know on the day it was released that my pre-order LP package has "been delayed" with no indication of when this "delay" will end). If I don't hear anything by mid-next week I think I'll push for a refund of some sort and just go and buy it at my 'local' record store.

LaneSax
06-26-2014, 07:48 AM
although I will admit I'm not the greatest fan of "Asleep In The Deep".
same here, not a fan of that and Feast Your Eyes yet.
The chorus of Asleep in the Deep threw me off alittle but after reading the lyrics, it's growing on me

armogi
06-26-2014, 03:26 PM
Remission remaster coming in August, and no new music as bonus content it seems....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pweZw1vYzZE

eversonpoe
06-26-2014, 03:57 PM
i really can't decide if it's worth it...i already have the gold 2xLP version of the album, but it would definitely benefit from a remastering treatment. plus, it's actually re-mixed (but not remixed, ha), and not just remastered.

ugh, and i just bought the deluxe version of "once more round the sun" so i'm having a hard time justifying this purchase (money-wise). stupid wedding... :p

SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT TO DO!

edit: forgot my copy is signed...i could totally sell that to pay for this!

eversonpoe
06-26-2014, 04:16 PM
sorry for the double post:

i put my copy up on discogs (http://www.discogs.com/marketplace?release_id=2113129&ev=rb) for $50, but if anyone here wants it, it's yours for $30 + shipping! (that's what i paid for it when i bought it in 2010, and i've kept it in marvelous condition)

PM me for more info!!!

Swykk
06-26-2014, 05:58 PM
Halloween is so fucking rad! I'm really digging the whole album.

LaneSax
06-26-2014, 09:57 PM
Remission remaster coming in August, and no new music as bonus content it seems....

that purple Remission tee is awesome!

eversonpoe
06-30-2014, 12:59 AM

the gold sold out, but instead of putting up something that said that, they literally just took down the page, so you get a 404 error. i should have bought it when i had the chance (i was trying to sell my original copy first to help pay for it), so now i'm getting the oxblood (without the slipmat :( ) for the same price. le sigh.

eversonpoe
06-30-2014, 04:10 PM
more proof that mastodon is the best. (http://greenmeatsound.blogspot.hu/2014/05/mastodon-and-kitty-from-motley-zoo.html)

LaneSax
06-30-2014, 09:43 PM
more proof that mastodon is the best. (http://greenmeatsound.blogspot.hu/2014/05/mastodon-and-kitty-from-motley-zoo.html)
I really dig seeing some of my idols with animals or doing good deeds for them.

LaneSax
07-12-2014, 02:43 AM
finally got my hands onto a RSD Live at Brixton vinyl set.

Just curious is the 2000 copies a US thing alone or worldwide? I have seen numbers in the 3000 range online and mine too.
Is it an interntational edition thing?

thanks

cahernandez
07-16-2014, 02:28 PM
The Sad But True Fate of 'Pop-Metal', an interesting read that deals a lot with Mastodon: http://grantland.com/features/mastodon-pop-metal-metallica-once-more-round-the-sun-review/

eversonpoe
07-31-2014, 03:23 PM
listening to the new, remastered version of Remission (got the oxblood box set) and HOLY SHIT does it sound good. so, so much better than the original mix. i am really glad i dropped the money on this (though i wish i had gotten the gold/black version that came with the slipmat).

mrselfdestruct94
08-01-2014, 12:28 PM
I'm late to the party but I'm absolutely loving Once More 'Round The Sun. I've only listened to the album twice but I'm really enjoying the entire body of work. It's similar to The Hunter (which I listened to for the first time in two years before buying this one, and holy shit, I forgot how excellent that one was too) in that it combines different musical aspects from their previous albums while using those borrowed elements as a foundation to make a sound of its own. Favorite tracks: The Motherload, Chimes at Midnight, Asleep in the Deep, Aunt Lisa (weirdest track on the whole album), Ember City, Diamond in the Witch House. Least favorite: Once More 'Round The Sun and Feast Your Eyes. I think selecting The High Road as the lead single was a mistake. It took me some listens to start liking it, and I wasn't all that impressed with the track. That's why I made the mistake of not buying the album for a month. It didn't get me psyched to hear it. But where it sits on the album, I actually find I enjoy it a lot more.

This one's certainly a contender for the best metal album of 2014. I didn't think anything could top Behemoth's The Satanist, which up until I listened to this great album would have been my pick, but holy shit, great job Mastodon. I can't believe I was so hesitant with buying this album. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go listen to it again.

GulDukat
08-06-2014, 06:42 AM
Best rock album of 2014. Why haven't I been listening to this band more?

LaneSax
08-31-2014, 03:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sdVhfn6-O8

LaneSax
09-02-2014, 10:08 AM
The Motherload is gonna have an awesome video, glad to see the boys back in their videos!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwLWHrdCEAEzbaM.jpg

Reznor2112
09-02-2014, 10:25 AM
GTO in the studio yesterday with Ross Robinson

http://www.theprp.com/2014/09/01/news/giraffe-tongue-orchestra-the-dillinger-escape-planmastodon-in-the-studio-with-ross-robinson/

LaneSax
09-02-2014, 10:50 AM
very excited for GTO, huge fan of Eric Avery too.

LaneSax
09-07-2014, 01:41 AM
new adultswim track featuring Butthole Surfer's Gibby Haynes

https://soundcloud.com/adultswimsingles/atlanta

LaneSax
09-29-2014, 10:34 AM
for some reason I thought the guitar solo scene with the butt was hilarious...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp7CYvh8FwA

Space Suicide
09-29-2014, 12:03 PM
Psychedelic Ass

henryeatscereal
09-29-2014, 04:47 PM
Mastodon twerking, wtf?

Space Suicide
09-29-2014, 05:15 PM
Mastodon twerking, wtf?

Blatantly obvious satire

thevoid99
09-29-2014, 07:28 PM
I'm sorry but I don't like the video. I'm just so over with twerking and fat-asses.

henryeatscereal
09-29-2014, 08:39 PM
I know it's a parody, but the video is still weird, reminded me of Metallica's "Until it sleeps" and Nick Minaj's Anaconda, lol...

I have always liked this band's sense of humor, yet i think the twerking was forced but what the hell? "Once more 'round the sun" is an awesome album, and the videos are secondary to the awesome music contained in the album

dvdglss
09-30-2014, 04:00 PM
I thought that the video is a mini-tribute to Atlanta.

Kinda is according to Brann - http://pitchfork.com/news/56917-mastodons-brann-dailor-talks-the-motherload-video-its-not-to-be-taken-so-seriously/

Mr. Blaileen
10-24-2014, 10:43 PM
Got to see Mastodon live yesterday...great show, great setlist. The guys were super tight and the sound quality was actually much better than I expected. The set was heavy on the newer three albums, but I'm cool with that.

Set: Favorites were Megalodon, Halloween, and Bladecatcher.

Tread Lightly (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/mastodon-3d669a7.html?song=Tread+Lightly)

Once More ’Round the Sun (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/mastodon-3d669a7.html?song=Once+More+%E2%80%99Round+the+Sun )

Blasteroid (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/mastodon-3d669a7.html?song=Blasteroid)

Oblivion (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/mastodon-3d669a7.html?song=Oblivion)

The Motherload (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/mastodon-3d669a7.html?song=The+Motherload)

Chimes at Midnight (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/mastodon-3d669a7.html?song=Chimes+at+Midnight)

High Road (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/mastodon-3d669a7.html?song=High+Road)

Aqua Dementia (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/mastodon-3d669a7.html?song=Aqua+Dementia)

Ol'e Nessie (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/mastodon-3d669a7.html?song=Ol%27e+Nessie)

Halloween (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/mastodon-3d669a7.html?song=Halloween)

Aunt Lisa (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/mastodon-3d669a7.html?song=Aunt+Lisa)

Divinations (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/mastodon-3d669a7.html?song=Divinations)

Bladecatcher (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/mastodon-3d669a7.html?song=Bladecatcher)

Black Tongue (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/mastodon-3d669a7.html?song=Black+Tongue)

Ember City (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/mastodon-3d669a7.html?song=Ember+City)

Megalodon (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/mastodon-3d669a7.html?song=Megalodon)

Crystal Skull (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/mastodon-3d669a7.html?song=Crystal+Skull)

Blood and Thunder (http://www.setlist.fm/stats/songs/mastodon-3d669a7.html?song=Blood+and+Thunder)

Space Suicide
10-25-2014, 11:55 AM
Surprised to see no Colony of Birchmen.

SM Rollinger
10-25-2014, 03:00 PM
Aqua Dementia and Megalodon? Badass, those are two of my favorites. Too bad no Mother Puncher or more stuff of Remission.

LaneSax
10-30-2014, 07:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WRemUuyw4g

eversonpoe
10-31-2014, 12:54 AM
brann's vocals sound awesome. for their performance of "oblivion" on letterman a few years back, he sounded SO pitchy. didn't even realize he sang the lead on this song!

brent dressed as Gene Frenkle is pretty amazing. i wonder whose idea that was.

Al_Hunter
12-01-2014, 04:17 PM
Anyone know how long their live headline slots usually last?

LaneSax
02-10-2015, 07:57 AM
Hahaha, didn't know they even bothered to go to the Grammy's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcSIvp4fGX0

http://www.metalinjection.net/gossip/so-mastodons-brent-hinds-got-kicked-out-the-grammys-last-night

armogi
02-10-2015, 11:37 AM
http://www.stereogum.com/1736244/tool-and-mastodon-members-form-nautical-themed-supergroup-legend-of-the-seagullmen/mp3s/

eversonpoe
02-10-2015, 01:21 PM
http://www.stereogum.com/1736244/tool-and-mastodon-members-form-nautical-themed-supergroup-legend-of-the-seagullmen/mp3s/

i posted a similar article in the "what are you listening to?" thread because I CAN'T STOP LISTENING TO THOSE TWO SONGS

seasonsinthesky
02-10-2015, 03:18 PM
they're p. insane and unexpected

LaneSax
03-09-2015, 09:44 PM
clip of the upcoming song for Games of Thrones
I dig the vocals!

https://instagram.com/p/0BBxOBJXYq/?modal=true&utm_source=partner&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=video

Space Suicide
03-09-2015, 09:58 PM
clip of the upcoming song for Games of Thrones
I dig the vocals!

https://instagram.com/p/0BBxOBJXYq/?modal=true&utm_source=partner&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=video

Yum, cannot wait!

LaneSax
03-11-2015, 10:40 PM
here's the full version

http://www.stereogum.com/1786935/mastodon-white-walker/mp3s/

beautiful stuff!

ldeaf2
03-14-2015, 09:22 PM
^^Awesome song! Looks like Atlanta is finally getting a proper Mastodon release with some awesome artwork!

http://s3.amazonaws.com/broadtime_photo/418456373792

Mr. Blaileen
03-15-2015, 12:02 AM
I love "White Walker."

When the band was doing interviews for 'Once More..., they mentioned they had a bunch of material that was slower and moodier..stuff that didn't quite fit on that release. They mentioned it would surface in the form of another album or EP. I hope it's more stuff like this! I love everything Mastodon has done, but I can't wait for a slower, mellow record from them. I think they'd knock it out of the park.

LaneSax
03-18-2015, 09:27 AM
White Walker is available for free download at iTunes for those interested

eversonpoe
04-29-2015, 04:05 PM
FUCK YES

https://igcdn-photos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t51.2885-15/11192979_1429924810657331_535666606_n.jpg

FINALLY own this beauty! Crack the skye 2x12" 45rpm, so now my mastodon album collection is complete, and all of them are the highest quality versions!!! it sounds SO GOOD!

LaneSax
05-13-2015, 10:39 PM
looks like there is gonna be a video for Asleep in the Deep

LaneSax
06-19-2015, 01:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBXWBj7hIzg

Space Suicide
06-19-2015, 01:22 PM
I hate to say it but minus Crack the Skye this is probably my favorite album. So much fucking great shit on it.

Loved that video.

armogi
06-19-2015, 02:55 PM
that song is much better as a stand alone than in the contaxt of the album, I really like the record but the second half doesn't flow as well as the first.

LaneSax
06-19-2015, 11:10 PM
I definitely enjoyed The Hunter and OMRTS more than Crack the Skye

Asleep in the Deep is one of my faves off the record but never been a fan of the chorus

Reznor2112
08-12-2015, 12:08 PM
The Hunter is getting another repressing on RED vinyl

http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Red-Colored-Vinyl/dp/B00ZCIQ3OW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439399035&sr=8-1&keywords=mastodon+the+hunter+vinyl+lp

eversonpoe
08-12-2015, 01:00 PM
The Hunter is getting another repressing on RED vinyl

http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Red-Colored-Vinyl/dp/B00ZCIQ3OW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439399035&sr=8-1&keywords=mastodon+the+hunter+vinyl+lp

i'd still recommend the 2xLP 45rpm version if you can find it. sounds AMAZING.

eversonpoe
11-05-2015, 10:28 AM
not my tattoo, but just saw it on the fuck yeah tattoos tumblr (http://fyeahtattoos.com/post/132604858557/aj-fosiks-design-for-mastodons-album-the):

http://41.media.tumblr.com/41e1000c6a5055ec51ab28ce7be4d42e/tumblr_myumzeNNqR1qzabkfo1_1280.jpg

Rabbit
11-05-2015, 11:02 AM
once more around the sun is probably my least favorite Mastodon album. They need to stop spitting albums out and take some time to actually work on songs.

eversonpoe
11-05-2015, 11:07 AM
once more around the sun is probably my least favorite Mastodon album. They need to stop spitting albums out and take some time to actually work on songs.

man, you're just all over the board with negativity today :p

Rabbit
11-05-2015, 01:19 PM
man, you're just all over the board with negativity today :p
i am lol.

nothing has excited me musically recently.

LaneSax
07-04-2016, 08:59 AM
please let Brent be right...

http://loudwire.com/brent-hinds-new-mastodon-disc-shaping-up-double-album/

LaneSax
09-15-2016, 09:25 PM
good video, might pick this record up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtJbgV3pGkI

LaneSax
11-23-2016, 09:34 PM
Atlanta progressive metallers MASTODON have finished recording the follow-up to 2014's "Once More 'Round The Sun". Once again, MASTODON worked with famed producer Brendan O'Brien, who first collaborated with the band on their 2009 groundbreaking concept album "Crack The Skye".MASTODON recorded the new disc in Atlanta before moving to Los Angeles for the mixing stage. An early 2017 release is expected.

MASTODON bassist and vocalist Troy Sanders tells Metal Hammer (http://teamrock.com/news/2016-11-23/mastodons-new-album-is-in-the-bag): "We've got it in the bag. We're just putting a timeline together of when and where. So that's all coming together now. So 2017's going to be an incredibly busy and fruitful year in the world of MASTODON MASTODON. I'm fortunate to be able to say that. I'm very excited for what the New Year will bring."

Regarding the musical direction of MASTODON's next album, guitarist Bill Kelliher told GuitarMania: "It's a little bit of the same as the last album, but I think it goes even deeper in certain areas — a couple of more psychedelic parts, a little more technical parts. There are a couple of new places we haven't gone before. So it's just kind of a continuation of the last record to me, but even deeper."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mastodon-new-album-is-in-the-bag/#3EruvERKXXy1JF9e.99

good way to start 2017

Space Suicide
11-23-2016, 10:37 PM
I loved Once More 'Round the Sun so hearing it's the same is awesome.

LaneSax
01-22-2017, 08:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN3eHJ5mEyM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rL1jOCHDOQ

SaintNoir
01-23-2017, 07:12 PM
The one from today made me laugh (space). I hope some music drops soon (obviously going to, but I am ready).

LaneSax
01-23-2017, 08:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZp3TzIKpqM

LaneSax
01-24-2017, 10:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4G3_D1uJ5I

LaneSax
01-25-2017, 09:19 PM
Oh yehhhhh

http://eos360.mastodonrocks.com/

armogi
01-26-2017, 01:49 PM
sultan's curse has leaked!!!!! total CTS vibe, easily their best song since.

LaneSax
01-26-2017, 08:12 PM
March 31st motherfuckers!

01. Sultan's Curse
02. Show Yourself
03. Precious Stones
04. Steambreather
05. Roots Remain
06. Word To The Wise
07. Ancient Kingdom
08. Clandestiny
09. Andromeda
10. Scorpion Breath
11. Jaguar God

http://assets.blabbermouth.net.s3.amazonaws.com/media/mastodonemperorofsandcover.jpg

LaneSax
01-26-2017, 08:17 PM
sultan's curse has leaked!!!!! total CTS vibe, easily their best song since.
I get the CTS vibe too

bobbie solo
01-26-2017, 11:01 PM
song is really good. Debating that epic show in Philly now with them, Opeth, Gojira, EoDM & Devin Townsend

LaneSax
01-26-2017, 11:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og39iIBeOHI&feature=share

The Doctor
01-27-2017, 11:17 AM
In preparation for new album and being hyped by the awesome new song, can we rank how we feel about the albums? I'll start and I have a feeling maybe my order is a little weird?

Crack the Skye
Blood Mountain
Leviathan
The Hunter
Remission
Once More 'Round the Sun
Call of the Mastodon

rampface
01-27-2017, 12:06 PM
Crack the Skye
Once More 'Round the Sun
Blood Mountain
The Hunter
Leviathan
Remission
Call of the Mastodon

SaintNoir
01-27-2017, 12:15 PM
Dig the new song. Get a bit of CTS for sure. And while CTS is my favorite overall album (album feel especially), I am not dying to get back there (not complaining, just thought the last two albums were super rad as well).

I think I have the same list as you, Rampface. I LOVE Once More Round the Sun.

Crack the Skye
Once More 'Round the Sun
Blood Mountain
The Hunter
Leviathan

LaneSax
01-27-2017, 01:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=MuAaxqmJVMA

dvdglss
01-27-2017, 01:48 PM
Blood Mountain
Leviathan
Crack the Skye
Once More Round the Sun
Remission
The Hunter

i think... but i'm not sure... they're all really good...

cahernandez
01-27-2017, 01:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=MuAaxqmJVMA

This looks epic! For me, the last great Mastodon record was Crack the Skye (The Hunter and Once More Round the Sun were just ok for me) so it's great to see them going back to that direction.

seasonsinthesky
01-27-2017, 01:52 PM
Song is great, art is great, return to CTS style is great – the documentary is trash. It's 6:38 of the same exact thing over and over and over said in slightly different ways. Once you get the lyrical and conceptual background in the opening, that's it, turn it off because nothing else is new. (Unless you wanna watch them play in the studio. Then keep watching.)

EndlessLoveless
01-28-2017, 09:28 AM
Crack the sky, tied with....Blood mountain
Leviathan
The hunter
Remission
Once more round the sun

I have tried over and over to get into OMRTS but can't. Other than 3 or 4 tracks I think it's not up to par with the standard they've set. That being said I love the new track and am getting a BM vibe just as much as CTS. Sounds like a return to what they do best, prog rock/metal. And the artwork rules. Can't wait.

SM Rollinger
01-28-2017, 09:36 AM
Leviathan
Remission
Crack the Skye
and id rate TH + BM on the same level. havent heard OMRTS yet.

I absolutely love Workhorse, Mother Puncher and March of the Fire Ants.

Megalodon and Aqua Dementia are among the bands best material. Seabeast is great too.

LaneSax
02-03-2017, 04:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdxZ4YXFcpQ

SaintNoir
02-03-2017, 09:26 AM
Dig this one too! This one is obviously a little breezier which lends a bit more to OMRTS (ha. haters :P ). Either way, new stuff is dope.

LaneSax
02-03-2017, 11:44 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98u510deA7s&feature=share

henryeatscereal
02-03-2017, 12:31 PM
My Mastodon ranking:

1. Crack the Skye
2. Leviathan
3. Blood Mountain
4. Once More 'Round the Sun
5. Remission
6. The Hunter

Both new songs are great, liking this so far!

50 Volt Phantom
02-03-2017, 05:19 PM
The first song they released plus the concept and return of the old band logo gave me a little hope, but the second song sucks.

Leviathan
Remission
Blood Mountain
Crack The Skye
The Hunter
Once More Round The Sun

Space Suicide
02-03-2017, 06:07 PM
The first song they released plus the concept and return of the old band logo gave me a little hope, but the second song sucks.

Leviathan
Remission
Blood Mountain
Crack The Skye
The Hunter
Once More Round The Sun

Not even gonna lie, the moment I seen you were the last post I figured it'd be a negative comment. You didn't disappoint.

50 Volt Phantom
02-03-2017, 07:21 PM
I'm optimistic that it's better than the last two albums, I just think the second song is completely forgettable. These guys are talented as fuck and funny, they just haven't given me that "holy shit" feeling since "blood and thunder" first premiered. I think Baroness does the southern rock metal thing better at this point honestly. But hey, I bet the Scott Kelly track will at least be awesome.

eversonpoe
02-03-2017, 09:10 PM
I'm optimistic that it's better than the last two albums, I just think the second song is completely forgettable. These guys are talented as fuck and funny, they just haven't given me that "holy shit" feeling since "blood and thunder" first premiered. I think Baroness does the southern rock metal thing better at this point honestly. But hey, I bet the Scott Kelly track will at least be awesome.

i just can't get into baroness, man. you say mastodon has become forgettable to you? that's what baroness is to me.

i like this second song. it's simple, but that doesn't mean it's BAD. i think the arrangement is interesting, and it's fun to listen to...that's better than a lot of stuff out there.

you want good southern metal? check out Windhand. fucking incredible, and dorthia, the vocalist, is otherworldly (listened to her solo album today and it was also fantastic).

50 Volt Phantom
02-03-2017, 09:29 PM
That's cool, I know I'm in the minority in the Baroness vs. Mastodon battle, but I would take a plodding rock track like "march to the sea" from Baroness over that second song all day, everyday.

I think in all honesty I just prefer Mastodon heavy cause that's when they caught my attention, back in their Relapse Record days, that's just how it goes. For me their peak album is Leviathan with Remission at its heels.

I'll check out Windhand, thanks.

center27j
02-06-2017, 04:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdxZ4YXFcpQ

yikes...mastodons "Everything"

dvdglss
02-07-2017, 10:01 AM
yikes...mastodons "Everything"

not their strongest song, but I don't think so... It's more like an 80's power metal song. I do think the final verse has a copy/paste feel with how sudden it comes in. Besides, "Everything" is an amazing song

Mr. Blaileen
02-08-2017, 02:30 PM
Yeesh. I liked the first song alright, but this newest one.... not so much.

It's not garbage, but I don't think it'll end up on my list of favorites.

Still can't wait for this album to come out. I don't like much metal anymore in my advancing age, but Mastodon will always be close to my heart.

LaneSax
02-22-2017, 07:33 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MctuLdWtwos&feature=youtu.be

dvdglss
02-22-2017, 09:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MctuLdWtwos&feature=youtu.be

Thats a good song

thevoid99
02-22-2017, 04:59 PM
I'm liking what they're doing as I love the fact that they're coming up with great riffs. They should be playing the new Braves stadium and sell that place out. They're my local homies.

cahernandez
02-22-2017, 09:18 PM
There's a pre-order bundle for the Emperor of Sand that comes with coloring pencils and a color-in vinyl jacket...I may go for it!

http://mastodon.warnerbrosrecords.com/emperor-of-sand-bonus-color-in-vinyl-jacket.html

LaneSax
03-04-2017, 09:27 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGCWTcBM4QI&feature=share

ldeaf2
03-07-2017, 03:43 PM
This is fucking sweet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ry7FStwey4

bobbie solo
03-08-2017, 01:47 AM
excellent song. Awesome riffs & drumming (duh, it's Mastodon). I cringe at them attempting it live though, part. if the alcohol quotient has already been hit before they hit the stage.

LaneSax
03-13-2017, 06:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73wEeDA1ncU&feature=youtu.be

thevoid99
03-16-2017, 03:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUGda7GdZPQ

Honestly, this video is fucking hilarious.

ZeroSum
03-19-2017, 02:53 PM
Easily their best album since Crack the Sky. Most of the songs remind me of Blood Mountain. "Show Yourself" seems to merely have been the obvious single from the bunch, and not really indicative of the album as a whole. (that being said, I still liked it quite a bit.) Steambreather is a total beast.

Mr. Blaileen
03-20-2017, 01:18 PM
Echoing ZeroSum, one listen through is all I needed to determine that Emperor of Sand is my favorite of theirs of theirs since Crack the Skye. 'Show Yourself' didn't even bother me as much this time around, and the rest of the album is a banger. Can't wait to listen to this again.

Wish the beginning part of 'Jaguar God' was stretched out to be a whole song.

botley
03-31-2017, 09:02 AM
Just echoing what was said above... streaming this album now for the first time, and it's GREAT.

center27j
04-05-2017, 04:35 PM
great album....clandestiny, roots remain, jaguar god all among their finest work.

eversonpoe
04-06-2017, 10:22 AM
http://68.media.tumblr.com/5a7350128b8616a508a3f929de313d91/tumblr_onv1434TEb1qzcvl5o1_500.jpg

spun this on monday night with headphones on, absolutely excellent. definitely their best since "crack the skye"

bobbie solo
04-07-2017, 12:52 AM
Spun it in full yesterday while vacuuming. Not the same effect, but the album is great. Good mix of alot of their different styles over the years.

LaneSax
04-13-2017, 09:23 PM
Finally had time to listen to the record with full attention and I think it's really good.

Steambreather, Roots Remain and Jaguar God are stand outs so far

and for the ets mandatory ranking for now...

1. Blood Mountain
2. The Hunter
3. Leviathan
4. Emperor of Sand
5. Once More Round the Sun
6. Crack the Skye
7. Remission
8. Call of Mastodon

bobbie solo
04-16-2017, 02:59 AM
anyone else attempting to get into this sold out, absolutely sick monster of a show?

http://www.electricfactory.info/Media/Default/Images/Performers/Philly%20artwork%2018%20(1)%20websized.jpg

Maximilian
04-16-2017, 08:14 AM
After a few listens, I like the new album a lot. Certainly more than the last album.

I'd like to hear Brent sing more than Troy, but he's only on a few tracks. Brann's all over this thing.

center27j
05-05-2017, 11:43 AM
has anyone seen them so far this tour?

october_midnight
05-05-2017, 11:48 AM
Lineup for that show tomorrow is straight bonkers.

bobbie solo
05-06-2017, 01:05 AM
Prices on Stubhub are dropping by the hour!

armogi
05-24-2017, 08:55 AM
anybody else enjoying this weird stuff from brann: https://arcadea.bandcamp.com/releases

LaneSax
06-11-2017, 03:15 AM
Just curious, is Lifesblood cd rare?

eversonpoe
06-11-2017, 08:43 AM
Just curious, is Lifesblood cd rare?

doesn't seems like it - https://www.discogs.com/Mastodon-Lifesblood/release/983776

LaneSax
06-12-2017, 01:04 AM
doesn't seems like it - https://www.discogs.com/Mastodon-Lifesblood/release/983776
Thanks. I came across a new copy for $16 and decided to get it even though I have "Call of the Mastodon"

captainbeyond
06-12-2017, 05:09 AM
I've been a Mastodon fan since 2004 when I first heard Leviathan and Remission and saw the Relapse Contamination Fest DVD. I remember waiting for Blood Mountain with great expectations and although there are some amazing songs on that album, it wasn't what I expected it to get from this band at the time. But Crack the Skye, for the most part, was everything I wanted from this band after Leviathan. That album rules. The Hunter is also like Blood Mountain for me - some really great songs but not really a stand out album. I hardly even listened to Once More.

I wasn't even interested in hearing Emperor of the Sand...especially after hearing another poppy weak single from this band. But I threw it on one day and fell in love with it. I probably listened to this album 20 times in 2 weeks a few months ago. I fell asleep to it a few times. Definitely on par with Crack the Skye. I think Steambreather, Clandestiny, and Jaguar God is some of the coolest shit they have ever done. Precious Stones really gets to me as well - Brent's vocals really shine on this one. Scorpion Breath has like Remission style riffs mixed with Neurosis - Through Silver in Blood tones. Definitely didn't expect it to be so good.

ManBurning
06-12-2017, 01:36 PM
another poppy weak single from this band.

Hey! It was that "poppy weak single" that finally made me enjoy this band. Time and time again, over the years, I have heard nothing but praise for this band, so I would always check out a song or two every time I heard the positive feedback, however, the songs NEVER stuck with me (and I like Metal music). The songs just weren't jiving with me. I didn't understand the hype around this band.

So, last week the Aftershock festival gets announced and I bought tickets to attend, obviously for NIN haha. So, I decided it's time to get acquainted with some of the other bands on the bill as well, so I type in Mastodon into YouTube, first thing that comes up is the music video for "Show Yourself" OK, sure....

I was like "THIS is Mastodon???? I always remember this band being something else... hmm..." So I went straight for Emperor of the sand... I quickly discovered that his song stuck out like a sore thumb, but on the other hand, I liked what I was hearing otherwise. I was able to listen to the whole record and was quite impressed. I've went back to it a few times this week already. I'm probably in the majority here, but I really like that poppy single, but I also like the whole record as well.

captainbeyond
06-12-2017, 06:02 PM
I quickly discovered that his song stuck out like a sore thumb, but on the other hand, I liked what I was hearing otherwise. I was able to listen to the whole record and was quite impressed. I've went back to it a few times this week already. I'm probably in the majority here, but I really like that poppy single, but I also like the whole record as well.

It's not a bad song. It's just so weird for this band when you think about their Remission sound. If you had been introduced to this band via the Relapse Contamination Fest DVD where they played on the same bill as Neurosis, High On Fire, and Bongzilla you would have never expected to hear a song like Show Yourself from this band. Even 13 years later. Divinations from Crack the Skye was the first time they really hit the "pop" aspect of their sound. Show Yourself and High Road are also just like that.

LaneSax
08-02-2017, 11:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc3lSH7KRPQ

LaneSax
08-05-2017, 10:41 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQDUYKm66_A&feature=share

Space Suicide
08-05-2017, 12:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc3lSH7KRPQ

Loved that shit!

I really wanna see Mastodon in October but it's a work night :(

Actually fuck it. I still might go.

I bought it. (LOL!)

Space Suicide
08-18-2017, 10:05 AM
New album already...kinda

http://teamrock.com/news/2017-08-18/mastodon-new-album-cold-hard-place-september-2017

http://assets.teamrock.com/image/5a2697d4-2a94-4496-9b2d-98b2a5618969?w=800

Mr. Blaileen
08-18-2017, 03:07 PM
Brent teased the release of this earlier in the year when EotS was coming out..glad it's actually going to see the light of day. Mastodon's mellow tracks (Joseph Merrick, Elephant Man, Sleeping Giant, Creature Lives, The Sparrow, Jaguar God) have always been some of my favorites of theirs.

october_midnight
08-25-2017, 04:00 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEubrZV04b0

LaneSax
08-28-2017, 10:24 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZPTsDsIFwg&feature=share