PDA

View Full Version : Elysium

NIN64
01-21-2012, 07:27 AM
Neill Blomkamp's follow up to "District 9". Set to come out Spring 2013.

Possible viral marketing (http://armadyne.net/) I just found.

Sallos
01-21-2012, 11:59 AM
no documentary direction stlye this time please.

aggroculture
04-10-2013, 07:58 AM
http://io9.com/first-trailer-for-elysium-proves-that-neill-blomkamps-471862542

Hazekiah
04-10-2013, 09:24 AM
District 9 was instantly one of my all-time favorite movies so I'm totally psyched for this.

:)

aggroculture
04-10-2013, 09:34 AM
Yeah it was an instant classic. I hope he hasn't gone too mainstream boring Hollywood on this.

onthewall2983
08-09-2013, 04:43 PM
Saw it today. It had it's moments for me (someone needs to put that Copley dude in a Western), but wasn't blown away. I haven't seen District 9 so I can't really compare.

rhet
08-09-2013, 05:08 PM
oh i saw an ad thing on the tube today which said something about Elysium having an unemployment rate of 0 and I wondered what that was about.

Dra508
08-09-2013, 05:27 PM
I heard this yesterday. I was sort of hoping Jodie Foster did well as a villain, but... Oh well

http://www.npr.org/2013/08/07/209812846/a-future-where-class-warfare-is-much-more-than-a-metaphor?sc=ipad&f=1008

Denim Chicken
08-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Meh I was pretty disappointed. I'd give it a C+ I guess. Like that review above stated it just seems like most of the premise didn't make much sense. There were way too many cheesy, corny lines and scenes. The action was very well done and the movie looked great. Jodie Foster was awful. I also was not a fan of Sharlto Copley. His lines were terrible and his delivery did not help.

exilajei
08-13-2013, 10:09 PM
Yeah, I thought Copley was great in District 9, but he seemed totally out of place in this. Really though, I didn't think there was a single well-written character in the film.

Blomkamp has talent, but he really needs to try something a little different next time. This seemed like a hollow shell of a movie, especially contrasted with his previous work.

Alexandros
08-22-2013, 05:25 AM
Have you guys played a recent old-school adventure game called Deponia (and its sequel, Chaos on Deponia)? Haven't seen the movie yet, but I find it extremely weird that the premises of both game and film are so similar. A garbage wasteland of a planet and an orbiting paradise/space station for the privileged called Elysium, and a guy from the surface trying to illegally get to Elysium. I haven't been able to track down anything linking the two but I'd be amazed if one was not aware of the other in some way.

schteph
08-22-2013, 07:11 AM
This movie was disappointing. I mean at least have a bit more depth to your dystopia, give Matt Damon something to work with too. His performance was only slightly better than his voice work in Team America.
Jodie Foster was boring and her accent was ridiculous.

Hazekiah
08-22-2013, 11:06 AM
Missed a TON of movies while I've been on the road, but I'm getting pretty close to winding up my 3-month roadtrip so I've been using the downtime lately to finally start catching up. Until last week I pretty much hadn't seen shit since Iron Man 3 last May! So I've been relieved to get back into the cinemas at last but it's been a bit of a letdown so far. My lady was curious to see The Conjuring but it sucked. Went to see The Wolverine by myself and it was kinda disappointingly just okay.

But Elysium was fucking awesome! Huzzah!

\o/

Good solid sci-fi action. And killer effects, of course. I also enjoyed seeing Sharlto's Copley's turnaround from being the put-upon dweeb in District 9 to suddenly playing the badass heavy in this instead, too. Didn't even realize it was him at first! Loved how the worlds of both movies seemed like they could co-exist perfectly otherwise, though. And switching it up from the apartheid metaphor to the immigration/health care plot this time around was pretty cool. Definitely enjoying what Blomkamp's up to with his career so far and can't wait to see what's next! Pretty consistently engaging and great quality stuff.

Still have my fingers crossed for District 10 or whatever, btw. It's been over three years, Christopher should be back by now. Let's go!

And the trailer for Gravity looked AMAZING. Looking forward to finally seeing Man of Steel at a cheap-o last-run theater today, too.

Oh, but one last thing.

I was SO FUCKING EXCITED to see that the theater I saw this in yesterday offered it IMAX. Until I paid my almost-twenty-bucks and discovered it wasn't on a REAL badass IMAX screen but just projected on a slightly-bigger-than-usual screen. And then I realized it wasn't even in proper IMAX dimensions, ffs. WTF is THAT shit?!? Ugh. Still a killer movie. But that theater's so-called "IMAX" presentation of it was bullshit. Beware.

sentient02970
09-02-2013, 04:14 AM
Good solid action flick. Effects very believable. Don't expect deep character development though.

DVYDRNS
09-02-2013, 09:10 AM
pretty good flick. rife with illuminati and elite symbolism. straight outta that whole playbook.

cashpiles (closed)
09-23-2013, 03:47 PM
Sucked. District 9 was great and then they had to release this pile of shit.

GoodSoldier333
09-25-2013, 11:14 AM
What a shit film. All that wait since 2009, all for nothing.