PDA

View Full Version : King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard

AndItKeepsRepeating
04-22-2022, 01:58 AM
Listening to the new album Omnium Gatherum right now, have loved this band for a few years and wondering if we have any other fans here? Didn’t see a thread already

kdrcraig
04-22-2022, 06:57 AM
I got into them for a few years starting with Nonagon Infinity. They put out so many fucking albums it was honestly hard to keep up with all of them. Ha. Great band though, very unique.

AThousandDaysBefore
04-22-2022, 03:16 PM
Thats my problem with King Lizard, there are good songs, but come on, one new album every week, and thats not a good thing necessarily, they change the setlist every night but you dont know the songs because some of them arent released yet, you need to wait the next 3 albums of the next week.
I dont know what to expect from them, Metal songs, psychedelic songs, pop, folk, come on, I really like some songs but a lot of them are just ok or meh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M9OoEUgjrQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH6RYUOYW2s

bobbie solo
04-23-2022, 02:26 AM
can't support a band with this name. You ever try and bring them up in an actual conversation? I have. the LOOK you get.

henryeatscereal
04-23-2022, 09:43 PM
Where can i start with this band? they have so many albums i don't even know...

AThousandDaysBefore
04-23-2022, 09:58 PM

Omnium Gatherum is the last album and its like a recopilation from all the albums, because you will find all the genres they used to play and even a rap song.
Actually is a good album and most of the slow songs in this album are a lot better than other albums.

henryeatscereal
04-23-2022, 11:19 PM
Omnium Gatherum is the last album and its like a recopilation from all the albums, because you will find all the genres they used to play and even a rap song.
Actually is a good album and most of the slow songs in this album are a lot better than other albums.
Thanks! will check it out!

rampface
04-25-2022, 10:06 AM
can't support a band with this name. You ever try and bring them up in an actual conversation? I have. the LOOK you get.

lol So what? Why do you care what others think? The name is great and fits. You would rather not listen to some of the best current music simply because some normie looked at you weird? Fuck that. I'm a huge proud Gizzhead. Don't let anyone persuade you from enjoying something for any reason (especially something as absurd as a band name lol).

Omnium Gatherum is growing on me but I still think it's a lesser album. The first half is strong. I could have cut this down to 40 or 50 minutes. Seems like a Oddments situation and this record is a bunch of tracks that didn't really fit on their previous (and future) cohesive albums. I'm hoping the next one is focused. Please give us Infest the Rats Nest 2, Stu!

I would start with Nonagon Infinity, Polygondwanaland, Infest the Rats Nest or Flying Microtonal Banana. I tend to like the heavier Gizz but they have plenty of soft stuff as well (and it's great!).

chuckrh
04-25-2022, 10:31 AM
I think they are trying to be the Aussie Guided by Voices. Absolutely no self edit function, haha.

Jon
04-26-2022, 04:07 PM

No worse than the looks you get when you give the full name of a Les Claypool side project.

TinDefacto
04-26-2022, 10:11 PM
I got into them about a year and a half ago when K.G. came out, and they're such a fun and fascinating band. I agree that they're totally hit-or-miss when it comes to my personal tastes, but I think they're extremely talented musicians and writers nonetheless. None of their albums feel rushed or banged out, and I disagree that they have "no self edit function" -- I'm sure they have gallons of unreleased material they've deemed not good enough to be released; they just love what they do and are really damn good at it.

I'm lucky to be going to Primavera in Barcelona in June; I'm so excited to see them for the first time! I just hope they play songs I like, haha.

Omnium Gatherum is a fantastic album, and miles better than Butterfly 3000, which I thought I'd be into but found a bit lackluster. I second that it'd be a good entry point! (I just... don't like the Dripping Tap. There, I said it!! Just not my thing.)

bobbie solo
04-27-2022, 02:14 AM
lol So what? Why do you care what others think? The name is great and fits. You would rather not listen to some of the best current music simply because some normie looked at you weird? Fuck that. I'm a huge proud Gizzhead. Don't let anyone persuade you from enjoying something for any reason (especially something as absurd as a band name lol).

it was mostly a joke guy.

AndItKeepsRepeating
04-28-2022, 01:40 PM
They clearly put a lot of care and work into their songs, both musically and lyrically, as well as the albums and their respective concepts as a whole.

This is not a "throw shit at the wall and see what sticks" situation. They're just prolific.

I bought all their albums on vinyl once I started getting into them mostly just as a collector, then once I started sitting down and giving them the standard "at least once" cursory listen I was pleasantly surprised at just how deep some of the cuts are, and how much I've found myself coming back to them since.

Surely they're not everyones cup of tea, but it's impressive none the less

AThousandDaysBefore
04-28-2022, 01:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGHgpVU3UuU

This is the King Lizzard I really like it.

thefragile_jake
04-29-2022, 10:01 AM
I feel like being a fan of Ty Segall, Thee oh Sees and Lil B trains you to appreciate wildy prolific artists who drop a million albums. King Gizzard is no exception.

I think the two records that I always revisit though are Nonagon Infinity and Infest the Rats' Nest ... but I really like all of their albums a lot. This new one is really fun.

think i'm a fire engine
05-03-2022, 08:16 AM
Some years ago somebody recommended me Polygondwanaland as their album of check out if I was into Tool, which I am, and it's a pretty awesome album. A few years later all my buddies into metal got into them when they put out Infest the Rats Nest, which is also pretty awesome and so strange for a non-thrash band to put out a thrash album. I've seen thrash bands branch out into not thrash territory, but not the other way around. Overall, I've delved into a relatively small portion of their output but I do really enjoy Polygondwanaland, Infest, Nonagon Infinity, and Fishing for Fishies.