PDA

View Full Version : The xx

The Reason Being
01-20-2012, 09:37 AM
The second album will be here soon, hopefully before summer:

" Work on the xx's as-yet-untitled sophomore set began in November with Smith recently telling the Creators Project blog that he was aiming to have the record out in time for the summer festival season. "We've all come back off tour and [have] kind of been partying a little bit more," the 23-year-old said, adding that, as a result, "club music has definitely had an influence on the next record." The band uploaded a demo recording of a mellow new song, "Open Eyes," to its website in December. Its live return is scheduled for Barcelona's Primavera Sound Festival (May 30-June 3), with further European and international touring expected throughout the summer and fall. "

I can't wait for the new album. Jamie xx's stuff is seriously good and it's nice to know that 'club' sound is influencing the band as a whole. Funny then that the demo they uploaded a few weeks back was basically just more of the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B9VnfaUV6g

carpenoctem
01-21-2012, 10:14 AM
Club-infused xx music? I like the sound of that.

The Reason Being
05-16-2012, 09:02 AM
New xx live review for one of the secret shows this week:

http://thequietus.com/articles/08807-the-xx-live-review

Sounds like Jamie's solo work has had a big impact on the new tracks, as promised. The total lack of footage from these gigs on youtube (or anywhere else really) is killing me!

AgentofChaos
07-05-2012, 01:48 PM
So they announced a Toronto gig a while back. I ask the fiance if she wants to go, as last time they played Massey Hall and we both aren't big fans of that venue, plus the tickets available were shitty so we missed out, but we've both wanted to see them live for a while. This time she says its too close to our wedding, so I say ok, don't want to push my luck as I'm sure she'll be stressed as fuck that week, so we pass.

Couple days later, she changes her mind and thinks it would be a nice break to go and see them for a few hours amidst everything else. Clearly I didn't do a good enough job convincing her. Too late though, it's already sold out. Bummer. Today I randomly checked after the TM well was dry for weeks, and was able to snag a pair. Think I'll save them as a surprise for her.

In other news, new album is titled 'Coexist' and will be released on September 10th.

The Reason Being
07-17-2012, 05:17 AM
New track, "Angels".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nW5AF0m9Zw

slave2thewage
07-17-2012, 09:43 AM
Loving it.

Pillfred
07-17-2012, 04:16 PM
Recently became aware of these guys via Pandora, is it something worth looking into if so any standout tracks i should be keen on?

carpenoctem
07-17-2012, 04:43 PM
Recently became aware of these guys via Pandora, is it something worth looking into if so any standout tracks i should be keen on?

VCR, Crystalised, and Islands are good places to start, but really the whole first album is great, and sounds better when you listen the whole way through.

The Reason Being
07-18-2012, 06:55 PM
VCR, Crystalised, and Islands are good places to start, but really the whole first album is great, and sounds better when you listen the whole way through.

The Jamie xx & Gil Scott-Heron album is awesome too, imo. I know its an opinion splitter, but thats my favorite record of last year for sure.

sa_nick
07-19-2012, 02:45 AM
http://vimeo.com/45129712

Thought this was pretty cool. Definitely different to the original, but cool. They have a cool cover of Hurt on there too.

carpenoctem
07-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Yep they're great live, preferably in a fairly small venue. The smoke and lights they use are perfect companions to the music.

bobbie solo
07-22-2012, 01:21 AM
i'd be afraid of seeing them live b/c the assholes around me would inevitably ruin such a quiet show by not shutting the fuck up.

cahernandez
07-29-2012, 06:57 PM
Pictures from the show in Seattle at the Showbox at the Market (July 25 2012). The show was great, they played the entire first album plus five songs of the new album (including Angels, the latest "single"). The rest of the new songs they played were more upbeat and club-friendly, as one of the guys mentioned in an interview: http://www.flickr.com/photos/38440152@N06/sets/72157630811926962/

johnbron
08-20-2012, 11:27 PM
Drip drip drip. I'm about half way through and it's very good so far. I'm hoping to find a ticket to see them in Portland.

Rdm
08-21-2012, 03:45 AM
The new album is really good. I really wish I had a better experience when I saw them live though. I am hoping it was a one off show. I will probably see them again in San Fran

Basically if you liked the first one you will defiantly like this one. Its pretty close to the first one.

Mantra
08-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Definitely one of the very best albums of the year so far. It's basically everything I could have hoped for from their second album. There's a certain amount of progression (the subtle dance/house elements) just to keep things interesting, but it's not like they've abandoned that sound that made them so cool.

This'll be a great late-night vinyl album. I'm also looking forward to listening to it on my ipod while riding the bus this winter.

richardp
08-21-2012, 11:23 PM
This album is unbelievable. It's what I wanted the first album to sound like after hearing Intro. Cannot quit listening to this.

The Reason Being
08-23-2012, 06:20 AM
Love it. 'Fiction' is awesome..

I wonder what happened to 'Open Eyes'.

the duder
08-23-2012, 06:38 AM
Found this version of Angels yesterday via twitter. I need to see them live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dYXejsku99Q

carpenoctem
08-23-2012, 02:54 PM
Love it. 'Fiction' is awesome..

I wonder what happened to 'Open Eyes'.

Oh yeah, forgot about that one.

This album is like the ghost of the previous one. Barely there, just floating, occasionally showing glimpses of what came before. It's an interesting choice to pare back their music even further, considering how sleepy the first album was. So far I'm not that into it, but I'll keep trying.

Morad
08-28-2012, 05:54 PM
I've tried so hard to like Coexist, but it's just so inept, it's infuriating. I wrote a review of it for Antiquiet too, if anybody's interested. Really disappointed by it. The sophomore record is the one where you actually get to prove yourself, and this one just falls flat all over.

Here's my review, by the way: http://www.antiquiet.com/reviews/2012/08/the-xx-refuse-ingenuity-with-coexist/

strwbrryjam
08-28-2012, 11:08 PM
xx-Angels-I love this song!!!

Leviathant
08-29-2012, 12:19 AM
I'm having a listen to the album now... my experience with The xx consisted of figuring out that they were the ones behind what I learned was "intro" - then I listened to the rest of that album on Spotify, and thought it really forgettable. Yup, sorry. Still, I thought it was worth giving the sophomore effort a listen. We'll see how it goes.

I've tried so hard to like Coexist, but it's just so inept, it's infuriating. I wrote a review of it for Antiquiet too, if anybody's interested. Really disappointed by it. The sophomore record is the one where you actually get to prove yourself, and this one just falls flat all over.

I think your review slathers it on really heavy - it seems reactionary. I know that part of what makes writing great is exploring language through composition, but "forced despondence mired in repetition"? You're giving away that you're a NIN fan there ;) I'm not telling you that you have to like the album, but I think you give it way too hard a judgment, and I'm only halfway through my first listen. Your railing against the minimalism reminds me of a pair of long-lost reviews for one of my favorite bands, Macha. I saw them open for The The at the House of Blues in New Orleans the weekend after the NIN Fragility stop in NOLA.

The first review poo-poo'd the self-titled debut album, with words like 'insufferable' and referred to the drummer as 'lazy.' Then, the following year, the same guy reviewed the follow up, 'See It Another Way.' The tone was apologetic, repentant. "I get it now," and gushed about the follow-up.

Personally, the thing I like least about the xx is the singing. Oh, you melodramatic, pining actor-vocalists, strain for just the right emotional face... I thought that for the first album, too. But I don't find the music on this album to be terribly repetitive. Minimal? Sure. It's interesting, the song you give top billing in your review sounds out of place and amateur to my ears.

Anyway... if you don't like it, I'm not out on a quest to change your mind about that. The first album wasn't a keeper for me, and I don't know that I'll be putting this one on my iPhone either, but for whatever reason, I felt like replying and suggesting a little more empathy next time you're really put off by an album. Maybe it's not to your taste, maybe it's more evolutionary than revolutionary, but that doesn't necessarily make it a failure.

dominik
09-28-2012, 05:37 AM
This album is really good, especially Chained and Swept Away.

fillow
07-04-2013, 05:15 AM
So, these guys are headlining the third day of Pukkelpop (which I'm attending) and I'm seriously worried.
Are they any better live than on record? I checked both their albums recently and was totally unimpressed. It felt like the same song repeated 20 times.

Canuckle
07-04-2013, 08:42 AM
So, these guys are headlining the third day of Pukkelpop (which I'm attending) and I'm seriously worried.
Are they any better live than on record? I checked both their albums recently and was totally unimpressed. It felt like the same song repeated 20 times.

From my experience, they are much better live. Last time I saw them in Massey Hall in Toronto (I've seen them live three times now?), there was a D&B breakout in the middle of their set.

They like to add significant percussion to their live sets. Not all songs get the treatment, but enough do to change the sound of their overall concert flow. If you are bored by their albums, the live show wont change that but you should be able to tell when they change songs. :)

richardp
07-04-2013, 11:21 AM

I'm not the biggest xx fan, but I saw them last month and it was genuinely one of the best sets I've seen all year. Their live entity and studio identity are practically like comparing apples to oranges. Their live set is like a giant rave. It was a total blast.

konstantin
07-04-2013, 06:57 PM
yep, they sure know what they are doing live (unlike 90% of the bands i see live). and they sell pillow cases!!! since they're playing pavilions at this point in the US (and they've been touring relentlessly,) i guess they have a pretty good label support. somehow they've managed to keep the sensual indie vibe untouched. the visuals are tasteful and coherent, and they've done a lot of work reworking their songs (from the first album especially.) i still get annoyed when electronic bands just play a live version of their record, one to one. not the case with The xx

october_midnight
11-10-2016, 08:23 AM
Third album "I See You" announced, drops on January 13th.

https://consequenceofsound.files.wordpress.com/2016/11/the-xx-i-see-you.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_oA9UmRd4I

01. Dangerous
02. Say Something Loving
03. Lips
04. A Violent Noise
05. Performance
06. Replica
07. Brave For You
08. On Hold
09. I Dare You
10. Test Me
11. Naive (Bonus Track)
12. Seasons Run (Bonus Track)
13. Brave For You (Marfa Demo) (Bonus Track)

october_midnight
11-21-2016, 09:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmZFhaDHZ_Q

Rubeninphoenix
11-21-2016, 12:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmZFhaDHZ_Q

I, for one, am glad they're back. Same goes for Justice too.

october_midnight
01-05-2017, 10:23 AM
Apr21

CoachellaIndio, CA

Buy Tickets

Apr23

Rose QuarterPortland, OR

RSVP

Fan Pre-sale Starts 1/10

Apr24

WaMu TheaterSeattle, WA

RSVP

Fan Pre-sale Starts 1/10

Apr25

Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports CentreVancouver, Canada

RSVP

Fan Pre-sale Starts 1/10

Apr28

Palace TheatreSt. Paul, MN

RSVP

Fan Pre-sale Starts 1/10

Apr29

Eagles BallroomMilwaukee, WI

RSVP

Fan Pre-sale Starts 1/10

May1

Aragon BallroomChicago, IL

RSVP

Fan Pre-sale Starts 1/10

May2

Masonic TempleDetroit, MI

RSVP

Fan Pre-sale Starts 1/10

May3

Jacobs Pavilion at NauticaCleveland , OH

RSVP

Fan Pre-sale Starts 1/10

May5

EXPRESS LIVE!Columbus, OH

RSVP

Fan Pre-sale Starts 1/10

May6

Merriweather Post PavilionColumbia, MD

RSVP

Fan Pre-sale Starts 1/10

May8

South Side BallroomDallas, TX

RSVP

Fan Pre-sale Starts 1/10

May9

Revention Music CenterHouston, TX

RSVP

Fan Pre-sale Starts 1/10

May10

ACL Live at The Moody TheaterAustin, TX

RSVP

Fan Pre-sale Starts 1/10

May14

Red Hat AmphitheaterRaleigh, NC

RSVP

Fan Pre-sale Starts 1/10

May16

Stage AEPittsburgh, PA

RSVP

Fan Pre-sale Starts 1/10

May17

Skyline Stage at the MannPhiladelphia, PA

RSVP

Fan Pre-sale Starts 1/10

May19

Forest Hills StadiumNew York, New York

RSVP

Fan Pre-sale Starts 1/10

May23

TD Echo BeachToronto, Canada

RSVP

Fan Pre-sale Starts 1/10

May24

Parc Jean DrapeauMontreal, Canada

RSVP

Fan Pre-sale Starts 1/10

May26

Thompson's PointPortland, ME

RSVP

Fan Pre-sale Starts 1/10

bobbie solo
01-06-2017, 02:34 AM
Still afraid to see this band. Don't want drunk, loud morons to ruin the show for me. Seeing them at a large outdoor venue in Queens seems very risky for those reasons.

Kodiak33
01-13-2017, 07:35 AM
Their new album is surprisingly really really good. It has more Jamie xx influences, but it sounds incredible. I wasn't a fan of "On Hold" either.

decadent
01-13-2017, 07:56 AM
They sound happy. I dont like this.

october_midnight
01-13-2017, 08:37 AM
Wasn't a huge fan of the entire album on the first listen (other than 'On Hold' and 'I Dare You'...those tracks slay)...but after another I started to pick up some of the hooks and little nuances and dug it more. Definitely influenced by Jamie xx more than the first two albums.

Rubeninphoenix
01-13-2017, 08:59 AM
Here's a really good interview with the three. It details how they were feeling as they made I See You and why it sounds the way it does.

http://www.thefader.com/2017/01/10/the-xx-interview-i-see-you

Kodiak33
01-13-2017, 09:53 AM
Wasn't a huge fan of the entire album on the first listen (other than 'On Hold' and 'I Dare You'...those tracks slay)...but after another I started to pick up some of the hooks and little nuances and dug it more. Definitely influenced by Jamie xx more than the first two albums.

Those were like the two songs I didn't like...not sure why.

cashpiles (closed)
01-13-2017, 10:54 PM
Replica is the stand out for me. I find with this album there are too many slow numbers. Saying that, there are like 3 or 4 really good tracks on this that I'll be adding to a mix playlist.

Dr.Z
01-14-2017, 04:47 AM
Their new album is surprisingly really really good. It has more Jamie xx influences, but it sounds incredible. I wasn't a fan of "On Hold" either.
Agreed. In the album context, "On Hold" and "I Dare You" work much better than on their own. Still, my favourites are the first four tracks.

Rdm
01-16-2017, 12:03 AM
I think it's their best album. Jamie did a good job with the production.

richardp
01-16-2017, 11:03 AM
I think this is the album I've always wanted The xx to make. It's more representative of their live show. It's also nice to hear everyone in the band sound like they're all in really great places in life.

cashpiles (closed)
01-17-2017, 07:33 PM
I did my first spin of the album today. My rules dictate five un-preoccupied listens—listens where I'm actually paying primary attention to the music, not just playing in the background while I focus on something else—with anything before I officially declare that I don't like something and give up on it. That said, aside from "Replica," the first listen was...not a good time for me.

I agree that Coexist felt a little too one-trick-pony and that the band needed to evolve. But I thought In Colour was a shitty LP even for that genre (which admittedly, I don't really enjoy under the best of circumstances, so I'm not exactly a qualified critic) and this album fucking reeks of Jamie. On first blush, the samples are distractingly gaudy and half of the songs would work better without his dance beats.

Regardless, I'm not even arguing that evolving in this manner was a bad choice for them, but it sure as hell doesn't look like it's going to work for me. Still, I'm really hoping it will grow on me. It's got at least four more chances before I condemn it to the section of my iTunes library where Grimes and Cymbals Eat Guitars live.

EDIT: "Lips" is also a winner, on second pass. I don't know how I missed that one the first time through.

I agree with you on everything you say here, except I'm revising my previous statement and saying that only Replica is good. This album sounds amateurish, like a group who can portray certain traits of professionalism and good song-writing...but doesn't quite reach a professional level. I guess what I'm saying is that the songwriting is mostly crap. The xx seem like a cheesy band....very child-like... the first album was good. It was back to basics, song first. This one is a bad mash-up of Jamie XX's input and the rest of the band's input. It doesn't quite gel. It's not quite symbiotic. Jamie XX seems to be taking these songs in a direction that wasn't originally intended by the other song writers. Overall, the XX seem like a one-trick band... dramatic heart on the sleeve love songs... but... cheesy... I don't know how this album got such high reviews by professional critics.

edit: I like On Hold too.

Kodiak33
01-18-2017, 08:05 AM
http://consequenceofsound.net/2017/01/the-xx-perform-on-say-something-loving-on-fallon-watch/

theimage13
01-18-2017, 09:55 AM
Alright. Well,l'm revising my statement to say that this album is much better than it first appears. The only things I truly despise are "Say Something Loving" and "On Hold" and "amateurish" doesn't feel too far off the mark to me. That's actually more or less how I felt about Jamie's solo LP. It felt over the head and passe, but I refrained from (and probably should still refrain from) officially offering that opinion because, like I said, I'm not well-equipped to criticize that genre since I'm predisposed towards not liking it regardless of quality.

I still think a good number of the pieces that feature his...pretty basic dance beats would function better with no percussion at all. At any rate, it's probably not a bad thing that I can easily remove those parts in my head. That does speak to how "not quite symbiotic" it is. But I'm sure he contributed more than that. And 4 out of 10 songs are definitely winners in my book--"Dangerous," "Lips," "Performance," and "Replica." It's still saying something that I picked the most "old XX" sounding songs, with the exception of "Dangerous," as the winners.

But overall, after four listens, I like the album a great deal more than I did at first pass. I still think it's lacking. And I still don't like Jamie's effect on the group. But even if it never grows on me any more than it already has, I'm glad they did this one, and I'm interested to see where they'll go from here.

Dangerous almost made me turn the album right back off, but otherwise I feel like I largely agree with you. Not at all a fan of the songs that sound more heavily influenced by Jamie. A lot of the beats sound so forced and out of place. Amateurish is a good word for some of these tracks. I still remember watching the TV debut of On Hold and actually laughing when they got to the DJ chorus. It had this feeling of "hey guys we just got this cool DJ gear, let's use it because we have it".

Hoping BER will pick up a better track to go with when they're done with the official single.

theimage13
01-18-2017, 01:29 PM
And BER? The station?

That's the one. Been a fan for decades. Even worked there for a brief period in college. They're largely responsible for my unbelievably eclectic taste in music.

theimage13
01-18-2017, 03:52 PM
Did I already know you and I share a city?

Pretty sure I just saw that last night and went "wait, WTF?"

I also don't live there anymore. Hope to return someday, but sadly it's not up to me.

Rdm
01-26-2017, 05:10 PM
I kind of figured people would be critical on the immature lyrics/production but I kind of think it's the albums strong point. I think when a band reaches an area where they can sound poppy but still holds onto integrity is very impressive to me. My opinion of bands doing the same thing is Radiohead - In Rainbows, Arcade fire- the suburb, NIN - with teeth . I get these bands are obvious picks but it's the best way my example works, for me.

Maybe more accessible is the better word for some of these examples

Rubeninphoenix
04-20-2017, 12:59 AM
I just got home from seeing them. If you can see them on this tour, do yourself the favor and go check them out! The new stuff works out a lot better live than on the record.