PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon! Should I catch'em all?

REPLICA
01-19-2012, 11:54 AM
So, I didn't see a thread for this particular franchise, I don't even know if many of us really care about the new games or not. I for one, am getting back into the older Pokemon games. I have ordered Yellow from someone on ebay along with a Game Boy Advance + I've been watching walkthroughs of Pokemon FireRed and Crystal recently. I actually thought about getting White with a 3DS but I dont think I want to go out on that much money just yet. However if a Pokemon game with all the pokemans came out, you better believe I would buy it up.

What are your thoughts on the franchise? My friends and I are pretty nostalgic over it, I still have two decks and a bunch of promo cards from the TCG.

P.S. A few of my favorite Pokemon
Psyduck
Slowpoke
Bulbasaur
Squirtle
Krabby
Cyndaquil
Onix
Steelix

.....yeah.... I'm cool like that.

Wretchedest
01-20-2012, 12:48 PM
Pokemon white has MOST of them. But if your gonna catch em all you have to start back at first or second generation and pass certain pokemon up the line, which will take literally hundreds of hours. My friends and I set out to fill up our B/W pokedexes and soon gave up at like 360-400 each. It can be very tough, although we had some backstock from third and fourth generation...

any Pokemon White. It's very fun, very different from other games, although in some ways its just more of the same. If you're into the games, there's no reason you shouldn't get it.

Space Suicide
01-20-2012, 12:58 PM
I only liked the first and second incarnations. I was a fan when I was 8. Kinda fell out of this craze and series after I was 11 or so. Meh to me now.

Harry Seaward
01-20-2012, 01:13 PM
if a Pokemon game with all the pokemans came out, you better believe I would buy it up.

That completely ruins the whole experience, imo.

Collecting Pokemon shouldn't be that easy.

Anyway, I suggest playing White of Black, too. They're very cool. If you've played the old games, it should really be like riding a bike. If you can't go all out and get a 3DS and a game, just download an NDS emulator.

Pokemon is awesome. I've beaten basically all the games, but never really had the patience to catch all the Pokemon. Though, I suppose I should do that some time, because why not. With DS/3DS internet compatibility, it's easy to trade/battle online, so that makes it a bit simpler.

If you don't want to jump into the newer games yet, download VBA with FireRed/LeafGreen. Those games are bad ass.

REPLICA
01-20-2012, 04:14 PM

I know... but I am going to hate having to buy another game boy and transferring pokemon to Crystal.

But for the time being, I got my yellow version today so I'm pretty happy. Now I get to spend the weekend reliving my childhood.

Jinsai
01-20-2012, 04:28 PM
I've never played a Pokemon game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AlhaJF5Afw

and now I never need to

Torgo
01-20-2012, 04:37 PM
I've been playing the Pokemans on my cellphone using an emulator whenever I'm bored. It brings back some pretty awesome memories AND it includes a gameshark codes area where you can enter in cheats.

Wretchedest
01-21-2012, 12:34 AM
That completely ruins the whole experience, imo.

Anyway, I suggest playing White of Black, too. They're very cool. If you've played the old games, it should really be like riding a bike. If you can't go all out and get a 3DS and a game, just download an NDS emulator.

Pokemon is awesome. I've beaten basically all the games, but never really had the patience to catch all the Pokemon. Though, I suppose I should do that some time, because why not. With DS/3DS internet compatibility, it's easy to trade/battle online, so that makes it a bit simpler.

If you don't want to jump into the newer games yet, download VBA with FireRed/LeafGreen. Those games are bad ass.
I agree that it shouldnt be easy but some pokemon are just epic hard to get. Regigigas for instance. Give me a fuckin break.

Did anybody see that pokenon romance of the 3 kingdoms cross over that theyre inexplicably making? It looks so wierd and yet kind of awesome.

carpenoctem
01-21-2012, 10:35 AM
I think I have Black, but I can't remember. I got to the last city, like right after the final Pokémon gym where you're about to go challenge the Elite Four, but then I kind of just got bored. I'm not sure who I should have on my team and I think the set I've been training with for most of the game aren't going to be that effective against the Elite Four, and it takes so long to get anyone to level up at this stage, I just lost interest.

I used to be obsessed with this for a couple of years as a child. I even cried because my friend who had just started collecting the cards got a Charizard. Like, it was in the first pack of cards she bought. I was so mad. For those of you who don't know, this:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100819163456/1kbwc/images/6/69/Charizard.jpg

was literally the most exciting thing that could ever happen to a nine-year-old.

ImTheWiseJanitor
01-23-2012, 12:43 AM
I went on a random kick and bought Crystal and Yellow on my old Gameboy Color, playing 'em off and on for a couple weeks. That led me to also get Pokemon Snap to play on N64.

I never realized how unbelievably short that game was when I was little. Completed the story with 61 out of 63 pokemon photographed in less than an hour and a half.

Also, I'll never forget the day my brother and I bought a little booster pack each, and that guy got a holographic Lugia card right on top. Insane jealousy was felt.

Harry Seaward
03-30-2012, 05:20 AM
Marathoning the first season. Ash is about to battle Lt. Surge.

Ryan
03-30-2012, 05:56 AM
I've never played a Pokemon game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AlhaJF5Afw

and now I never need to

...wow............

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Marathoning the first season. Ash is about to battle Lt. Surge.

First Pokemon merch/First movie I ever bought was the video tape with this episode on it.

Space Suicide
03-30-2012, 05:56 PM
Pokemon was great and then I turned 10.

Harry Seaward
03-30-2012, 10:22 PM

Yes, now you play Gears of War and Mass-Effect, real grown-up games.

Space Suicide
03-31-2012, 08:56 AM
Yes, now you play Gears of War and Mass-Effect, real grown-up games.

Fock yeah!

But on topic, I know for a damn fact if I bothered to take out my gameboy and my game stash from my closet I'd play Yellow, Silver or Crystal for nostalgia. After those games I lost interest majorly.

carpenoctem
03-31-2012, 10:08 AM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WWG5L1Pe-Xg/TtOtxsmGvoI/AAAAAAAAFhM/W831CoEd4jc/s320/watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

Wretchedest
10-02-2013, 04:53 PM
Pokemon XY comes out a week from Friday!

Totally stoked! The game just looks like a massive improvement. Especially with the addition of the Pokebank: a cloud based storage box that will make carryin pokemon across generations less of a pain in the ass, and make the daunting task of filling out the pokedex seem a bit for worthwhile.

Halo Infinity
10-04-2013, 03:56 PM
Whoa, this thread straight-up takes me back to middle school. I think I only got as far to the Blue and Red version, and perhaps some Pokemon Stadium before completely falling off it. I sort of regret that now, but if I were to go back, I'd get the Red, Blue and Yellow versions for pure nostalgia, right up there with any of the Pokemon Stadium games for the Nintendo 64. (I had more games in the past, but they got stolen from other students "borrowing" them at the time.)

reznovka
11-06-2016, 01:02 PM
Anyone hyped for Sun/Moon coming out in a few days? :D

reznovka
11-06-2016, 04:33 PM
Played Yellow and Gold on my GBC and Stadium on the N64 back then. Lost interest after getting an XBox but when I found an emulator for the GBA I was back on the train. Just bought an 3DS and played X and Omega Ruby. PreOrdered Moon. Feels good to be home. The only game series which managed to never disappoint me. Great game <3

reznovka
11-29-2016, 02:46 PM
Anyone else playing Pokemon Moon (or Sun) now?
What's your starter? :D

tony.parente
11-29-2016, 03:10 PM
Anyone else playing Pokemon Moon (or Sun) now?
What's your starter? :D

I am! And Popplio!

reznovka
12-10-2016, 05:06 AM
I am! And Popplio!

Started with Rowlett and made it through without problems.
Now I am playing with Litten.
Always played with a fire type starter but my love for owls brought me to Rowlett this time.
But grass types never felt good to play with imo.

How do you like it so far? I haaate the tutorial. 2 hours of useless information and 3 second walks until the next video starts...

tony.parente
12-10-2016, 10:57 PM
It's OK. It really seems like at least 30% of the game is reading and cut scenes.

reznovka
12-11-2016, 02:25 PM
It's OK. It really seems like at least 30% of the game is reading and cut scenes.

Yesh right :D
But I like it a lot. Cool new features (no HMs anymore and knowing how effective an attack is after you fought another Pokemon)
Great game with some flaws...can't wait for the next one ;)

Iran_Ed
12-27-2016, 01:54 PM
I haven't been on ETS in years, and surprisingly never posted in this thread. I finished the entire pokedex in X on Christmas last year, and spent this year grabbing all the event only pokemon. Working on Sun and Moon now.

halo eighteen
12-27-2016, 02:18 PM
Moon here, only have about 40 in my Pokedex so far, but I'm making a little progress.

0430-8382-3137 if anyone wants to add IDs :)