PDA

View Full Version : The X-Files

Pages : [1] 2 3

richardp
01-16-2012, 11:34 PM
Let's all reminisce on how much this show freaked us out as kids, and how goddamn awesome that opening title sequence was.

This thread approved by Eugene Tooms.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080221052613/x-files/images/0/0b/Eugene_Victor_Tooms.jpg

opal
01-17-2012, 01:41 AM
"MULDER!!" ... "SCULLY!!"

My favourite TV series.

slave2thewage
01-17-2012, 02:44 AM
MULDER, IT'S ME.

Is the third movie happening or what?

Ryan
01-17-2012, 03:10 AM
Clyde Bruckman ftw.

jmtd
01-17-2012, 03:22 AM
Bought the complete DVD set a few years ago; watched 3-4 seasons outright, then picked out only the conspiracy episodes right to the end. Big mistake. I really believe that the best episodes were the "monster of the week" ones. Fringe owes more than a lot to X-Files; not least, because the super soldiers thread is very similar, but executed so much better. I don't know whether Carter was completely burned out or taking the piss by the time that story arc came in.

I thought the last two seasons were refreshing; Doggett and Reyes were compelling characters IMHO; they should have made more of an effort to break away from Mulder/Scully, I think their inability to do so is what doomed them.

slave2thewage
01-17-2012, 03:25 AM
I was obsessed with this as a kid, but season 8 turned me right off and I couldn't manage more than two episodes of season nine. Perhaps I should revisit.

kdrcraig
01-17-2012, 08:57 AM
I rewatched the whole series a year or two ago as I hadn't seen the last few seasons at all. There were still some good episodes in those last seasons but overall I'd say the end of this show sucked. The series finale was very disappointing.

richardp
01-17-2012, 04:39 PM
I've only ever seen the first 6 seasons. I quit watching it on TV right around the time Moulder was leaving and then just didn't give a shit about it after that because it didn't feel like X-Files without him. But I'm currently going through the entire series start to finish and plan on watching the final few seasons.

Blackbookpress1984
01-17-2012, 04:46 PM
I still love the show, I have all the easons on DVD and would love to trade em in and get that nice looking box set they put together. droooool.

Fixer808
01-17-2012, 07:00 PM
When I moved to Vancouver in '99, I started recognizing EVERYWHERE THEY EVER WENT while I was watching an episode. It was fun playing "spot the BC Transit bus in the background"! Side note: Apparently in an episode of Fringe you can see B.C.'s flag in the background of one episode. lol.

JessicaSarahS
01-17-2012, 07:04 PM
I was obsessed with this as a kid, but season 8 turned me right off and I couldn't manage more than two episodes of season nine. Perhaps I should revisit.

Same here. Only watched the finale on Season 9. Might go back and watch them, but I said the same thing in the old XF thread two years ago. :p

vvdravenvv
01-17-2012, 07:42 PM
It all went downhill after they killed off Krycek...coincidence?

marodi
01-17-2012, 08:45 PM
I quite like the episodes Dick Patrick's brother is in. That guy can act!

Overall, I think I did enjoy the "monster of the week" episodes more than the mythology ones. That mythology stuff just confused the heck out of me. To this day, I would find it very hard to explain what really happened to Mulder's sister without looking it up.

Remember the episode with the inbred family? That was creepy. And the one with the cockroaches? "They" had a cockroach run over the screen just like it would have done so if it really was in the room with you. I still hate "them" for that.

Bastards!

JessicaSarahS
01-17-2012, 09:21 PM
Remember the episode with the inbred family? That was creepy. And the one with the cockroaches? "They" had a cockroach run over the screen just like it would have done so if it really was in the room with you. I still hate "them" for that.

Bastards!

Those were great episodes. Season 3 and 4 were my favorite.

marodi
01-17-2012, 10:12 PM
Oh my God: I just looked at the clock and it was 11:11! :eek:

Highly Psychological
01-17-2012, 11:02 PM
I liked the episode think it was called Hunger. Where the guy could not stop eating. He starts eating everyone and had to go to Overeaters Anonymous, and his landlady is there and she says 'small world'. I preferred the camp horror episodes with the monsters. I used to wanna have sex with Gillian Anderson.

The first series was brilliant. They must have worked their asses off, each episode felt like a small film, and there were about 20 a season. Kept coming up with loads of well written ideas.

Some of the darker ones were brilliant and quite disturbing too like the one with the telepathic girl who could tell when women were being raped and murdered. She collapses at work whenever it happens, at the movie theater with the popcorn and all that. The Simpsons spoofed it with Nelson.
Also liked the one with the missing airplane was called Flight Tempus or something. I loved the 1998 movie too.
90's TV at its best, it should have ended in 1999.
Also the last film was a bit disappointing wasn't it?

Blackbookpress1984
01-17-2012, 11:12 PM
Best episode was home.
So dark and creepy.

JessicaSarahS
01-18-2012, 12:22 AM
Neisei/731 and Anasazi/The Blessing Way/Paper Clip are my favorite episodes. It's difficult to pick just one.

And for the record, this is the only television series where I know the names of the epsiodes :p. But I do not know many of the season 8 or 9 titles.

ambergris
01-18-2012, 01:56 AM
When the show came over to Europe we didn't know if the cases were real or not. Si much hype was around this show. I was obsessed with it for about 2 years. I was always interested in aliens but this show fed my obsession and scared me a lot, I really couldn't sleep sometimes because I thought that I might get abducted. The show fizzled once Mulder left (in my opinion) and at some point, all the patience was gone. You can only take these mystery series' so far, Twin Peaks was the original one and too short, X-Files was maybe 2 seasons too long. 5-6 seasons are ok, which is what Lost and Fringe were/are going for.

themethatyouknow
01-18-2012, 04:11 AM
The episode that always freaked me out the most was "Field Trip" where they investigated two skeletons found in a field that was basically a giant psychedelic mushroom. It wasn't really a great episode, but I still can't fucking use hotel shampoo without thinking about it.

The show definitely had its ups and downs, but 9 years is a long time to be on the air and most of it was great.

jmtd
01-18-2012, 05:24 AM
The episode that always freaked me out the most was "Field Trip" where they investigated two skeletons found in a field that was basically a giant psychedelic mushroom. It wasn't really a great episode, but I still can't fucking use hotel shampoo without thinking about it.

I may have to dig that one out, thanks!

kdrcraig
01-18-2012, 07:07 AM

That episode is awesome. I didn't remember it at all when I re-watched the series and that episode kind of fucked with me.

GoodSoldier333
01-19-2012, 03:10 AM

YEEEEESSSSS!!!

This was by far my favorite episode. I saw this episode when i was 10 or 12, and it totally messed with my mind. I had NO CLUE what was going on until the end.
One word: memorable.

Piko
02-12-2012, 06:04 PM
When the show came over to Europe we didn't know if the cases were real or not. Si much hype was around this show. I was obsessed with it for about 2 years. I was always interested in aliens but this show fed my obsession and scared me a lot, I really couldn't sleep sometimes because I thought that I might get abducted. The show fizzled once Mulder left (in my opinion) and at some point, all the patience was gone. You can only take these mystery series' so far, Twin Peaks was the original one and too short, X-Files was maybe 2 seasons too long. 5-6 seasons are ok, which is what Lost and Fringe were/are going for.

I actually liked seasons 8 and 9. 8 had some mulder but I really enjoyed Doggett. 9's story was kinda meh but had some good moments there as well. The ending was pretty whatever too. So many open ends. What happened to Doggett and Reyes? One thing that really bugs me. And I'm assuming Kersh was killed?

Ryan
02-13-2012, 01:09 AM
Just bought William B. Davis' (Cigarette Smoking Man) autobiography released late last year. It's called "Where There's Smoke... Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man" if you want to amazon search it.

Lutz
02-13-2012, 04:07 AM
It all went downhill after they killed off Krycek...coincidence?

Krycek was my boyhood crush. He really knew how to dress.

theruiner
02-13-2012, 04:14 AM
I don't remember much about the show any more, but I really liked it when I was a kid. I saw the first movie in theaters. I remember that movie was a huge deal when it came out.

Fixer808
02-13-2012, 03:21 PM
Krycek was awesome, he was such a flexible character because he was playing all sides to help his own ass out! His involvement with the "colonists" was great (as was that whole storyline).

One episode that I really remember was when Mulder was trapped in a VR program or something. Great use of The Platters' "Twilight Time"!

Wretchedest
02-13-2012, 03:35 PM
My wife and I marathoned these last year and it was just so consistently awesome. we'd watch as many as 6 or 7 in a day, all in orderm including the movies. That second movie was just awful though... there's really no point in having a movie that doesn't tie into the canon somehow I think. That said, most of the best episodes are monster-of-the-week deals.

Some of my favorites:
The one where Mulder and Scully get eaten by a psychadelic fungus, because just read the description. It's great. Season 5 I think
The one where mulder and Scully investigate a town of circus freaks, played by actual circus freaks, again, the awesomeness is self explanitory. Season 2 IIRC
The one with the lightning kid and Jack Black. Loved for it's overall 90ness.

There are so many but those really still stand out. I actually don't hate dogget but the series really does fall apart in those last two seasons where it just stops making sense and everything becomes a stretch. Another great one is when they reveal the smoking man's back story in like season 4 or something and you find out that he's basically the major player in exactly every conspiracy ever, which was laughable but still a good watch.

*edit* oh yes Kryceck! that guy was pretty good. He kept fucking coming back which was always like "He's still around! how the fuck?" good times.

Piko
02-13-2012, 05:08 PM
Season six is probably my favorite. So much happened. Again, though, too many plot holes. Really liked how the first movie served as a bridge between seasons. One thing, though, that I find pretty random and hilarious. Terry O'Quinn (aka John Locke) was killed TWICE in the series. Once in the movie and once again in season 9. Not sure if it was a coincidence or the sake that he might have survived the first time for certain reasons...

Fixer808
02-13-2012, 07:11 PM
I'm preeeetty sure he didn't survive the movie! ;)

Leviathant
02-14-2012, 12:24 AM
Melissa had the episode "Without" on in the room, and folks involved in the set design for that had to have seen the Happiness in Slavery video.

Also, the episode titled "3" from the second season, has a very obvious March of the Pigs knockoff playing when Mulder shows up at the goth club.

Piko
02-14-2012, 07:48 AM
I'm preeeetty sure he didn't survive the movie! ;)

I didn't think so, heh. Guess they decided to just cast him again later as someone else for the hell of it.

Deepvoid
02-15-2012, 12:06 PM
Started from the beginning not too long ago. I'm early in season 4 now. Good stuff.

Wretchedest
02-15-2012, 02:12 PM
Other goodies

Arcadia (Season 6) Creepy uptight housing people kill people for breaking the homeowners association rules... classic
X-Cops: Mash up with Cops

So many...

Conan The Barbarian
02-15-2012, 02:20 PM
yea I would have to say x-cops is one of my all time favorite episodes.

dpeters
02-16-2012, 08:14 PM
The peacock family episode with the old-timey music during the murder of the Sheriff is one of my favorite X-Files moments.

Leviathant
02-16-2012, 10:27 PM
Tempus Fugit & Max always stood out as really great episodes to me.

perceptionnexus
02-17-2012, 12:16 AM
i read last year that there's still a possibility of a third movie to tie up the series and chris carter said it would be mythology related.
not sure how itd be handled though, as it wouldnt be released this year and 2012 is kind of important to the story. Unless CSM was lying
again to Mulder and Scully of course, tee hee......

perceptionnexus
02-17-2012, 12:18 AM
http://www.xfilesnews.com/oldXFNbackup/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5735:and-so-we-went-to-fox&catid=25:recent-news&Itemid=106

Piko
02-17-2012, 08:27 AM
Best moment, ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLR8t1_y-0o&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Ryan
02-20-2012, 04:39 AM
Arrived today.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/p480x480/406570_10150633487678713_540763712_8940740_4081504 71_n.jpg

opal
02-20-2012, 05:19 AM
I started watching season 7 (which I hadn't seen before) and man, does it start out slow ...

Is it getting better after the first two episodes?

Ryan
04-13-2012, 07:57 PM
Chris Carter talks about giving Mark Snow a copy of How Soon Is Now?
and how Morrissey's whistling served as blueprint for the X-Files theme tune!

http://emmytvlegends.org/interviews/people/chris-carter (http://emmytvlegends.org/interviews/people/chris-carter)

[41.45 onwards] - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjMblGZXGyo#t=41m45s

Elke
04-14-2012, 03:31 AM
I just watched all seasons (I started out in January, in my defense) and I have to say that my favourite seasons are 4 and 5.

Favorite episodes... mmm.... I think I love the funny ones most, like Humbug, D.P.O., Jose Chung's From Outer Space, Unusual Suspects, Bad Blood and X-Cops (probably two of my favourite episodes tout court).

The scariest episodes I thought were The Host (or maybe that was just gross), Duane Barry / Ascension, Firewalker, Pusher, Home, Tunguska / Terma, Folie à deux, Signs and Wonders, Chimera, Within/Without and (maybe surprisingly) Roadrunners.

And some episodes were simply brilliant because of the acting: I loved Beyond the Sea because it was a Scully-scentric episode and because of Brad Dourif's excellent Luther Lee Boggs. Zeljko Ivanek as Roland was also brilliant, and the story with the girl he was in love with was so well done... I think that's what season 8 and 9 lacked most: those subtle backstories for minor characters.

And of course there are the rare episodes that are actually moving or interesting beyond the thrill and chill of the show's scope, like Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, Oubliette, Quagmire, Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man, Gethsemane / Redux / Redux II (I'm probably the only person who loves this arc :)), The Post-Modern Prometheus, Drive, Tithonus, Hungry, all things and Audrey Pauley.

Ryan
04-14-2012, 04:23 AM
"Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" and "all things" really stood out to me.

Elke
04-14-2012, 06:10 AM
Yeah, I read online that all things got some pretty bad critical reviews, but that it's a fan favourite and I can absolutely see that: I just thought it was really, really beautiful and a very good glimpse into how Gillian Anderson herself envisions Scully.
I think Scully's by far the most fascinating of all the series' regulars too, so that's probably why I loved that episode so much.

richardp
04-15-2012, 02:10 PM
I've been rewatching the series lately, and I've completely lost count of how many times Scully has been kidnapped, abducted, beat up, and quarantined, in season 2. Poor ol' girl just can't catch a break.

owinn
04-24-2012, 12:37 PM
There was a guy on these forums about a century ago, who claimed the only way to watch The X-Files was to make sure you changed the setting of your TV to Black and White... he was not wrong. So amazing.

Space Suicide
06-23-2013, 01:14 PM
I watched this show eons ago in bits and pieces and just now started buying season sets (I own 1 and 2). I bought season 3 this morning and I just started on Season 2 last night, finishing The Host.

I full endorse the Eugene Victor Tooms initial sentiment.

Favorite episodes in what I've watched (don't remember from long ago!) are probably E.B.E. and Gender Bender. Especially the latter when Mulder goes into the barn and into the catacomb like area where the recently dead man was in the wall.

Piko
06-23-2013, 03:39 PM
I'll never forget the one with inbreds...

Blackbookpress1984
06-24-2013, 07:09 AM
its called Home. probably one of he darkest episodes they made.

marodi
06-28-2013, 12:06 PM
I'll never forget the one with inbreds...

And the one with the cockroaches.

JessicaSarahS
06-28-2013, 12:07 PM
Can't wait to rewatch TXF, I last watched all the DVDs again in 2007, I'm well overdue.

Nice! I started watching it over on netflix. I need to complete my XF dvd collection, but I've been waiting for a possible blu-ray release. I have seasons 1-4 and the mythology collections and a bunch of seasons on VHS, but I'm missing a lot of the later seasons.

And:
http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/06/27/comic-con-x-files-panel/

Kicking myself for not going this year!

Space Suicide
06-29-2013, 11:19 AM
I'm about halfway through season two at the moment. What's everyone's opinion on Excelsis Dei? Creepy episode to me.

I got season 3 the other day. Time to order season 4 soon.

slave2thewage
06-29-2013, 11:30 AM
^Have you watched "Die Hand Die Verletzt" yet? I love that one.

Space Suicide
06-29-2013, 11:35 AM
^Have you watched "Die Hand Die Verletzt" yet? I love that one.

I'm one episode away. Last episode I watched was Aubrey.

JessicaSarahS
06-29-2013, 12:46 PM
I'm about halfway through season two at the moment. What's everyone's opinion on Excelsis Dei? Creepy episode to me.

I got season 3 the other day. Time to order season 4 soon.

It was good, but it wasn't one of my favorites from that season. Lots of good stuff in season 2 though. I love the Duane Barry/Ascension/One Breath and Colony/End Game storylines.

Piko
06-29-2013, 03:02 PM
And a lot of people give seasons 8-9 a lot of flack. Season 8 was pretty good. Season 9 had it's moments...

JessicaSarahS
06-29-2013, 03:39 PM
And a lot of people give seasons 8-9 a lot of flack. Season 8 was pretty good. Season 9 had it's moments...

Hmmm, I'll have to watch those again. I stopped watching routinely around season 7 and I've missed quite a few episodes in season 8 and 9. The show didn't hold my interest like it used to. :(

slave2thewage
06-29-2013, 04:23 PM
The Super Soldiers thing was the WORST PLOT DEVELOPMENT EVER.

Also, I had no idea they were doing "Season 10" comics. Just read the first issue and it's quite good.

Piko
06-29-2013, 10:52 PM
The Super Soldiers thing was the WORST PLOT DEVELOPMENT EVER.

Also, I had no idea they were doing "Season 10" comics. Just read the first issue and it's quite good.

Yeah, the super solider storyline did kinda suck. The season did have some pretty awesome episodes though (brady bunch).

ltrandazzo
06-29-2013, 11:53 PM
Season 10 has started off really well. Can't wait to see where this is heading.

Piko
06-30-2013, 09:11 AM
So, they're doing a season 10 comic. I thought you were trolling at first until I googled it, heh. All I want is a third movie that gives some sense of closure (Doggett and Reyes). Maybe I'll check out the comics at some point though.

Piko
07-03-2013, 07:47 AM
Seasons 1-4 in widescreen would be great.

Jon
07-03-2013, 08:18 AM
Much like thousands of other TV shows, this one would have to be redone from the cutting room floor for a proper HD release (e.g. Star Trek: TOS, Star Trek: TNG, Firefly, etc.). Last I heard anything about blu's for this was the end of last year, with a projected release date of Q4 2013. It will happen, just give it time.

Seasons 1-4 were shot, produced, blah blah blah, in 1.33:1; I wouldn't hold your breath for widescreen, as I think that doesn't exist.

Piko
07-03-2013, 09:16 AM
Yeah, kinda figured as much... Awesome idea though, if it were possible. I think when I'm caught up with my other shows, I may rewatch the series. It's about time.

Shadaloo
07-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Playing The Last Of Us, with its fungus zombies, has made me flash back to that episode with the throat-spore stalks. GAH.

Space Suicide
07-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Playing The Last Of Us, with its fungus zombies, has made me flash back to that episode with the throat-spore stalks. GAH.

Firewalker you mean. That episode was weird and kinda reminded me of Ice...only a little.

JessicaSarahS
07-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Firewalker you mean. That episode was weird and kinda reminded me of Ice...only a little.

Yup, it was very Ice-ish, but Ice was a much better episode.

Space Suicide
07-04-2013, 04:27 PM
Yup, it was very Ice-ish, but Ice was a much better episode.

Agreed even if it is a Thing knock-off...ssssshhhhhh. Still a great one regardless.

I just finished the Colony. I have to watch the second part now. I'm not having much luck finding season 4 for a cheap price. Ugh.

JessicaSarahS
07-04-2013, 06:05 PM
Agreed even if it is a Thing knock-off...ssssshhhhhh. Still a great one regardless.

I just finished the Colony. I have to watch the second part now. I'm not having much luck finding season 4 for a cheap price. Ugh.

Haha, definitely a Thing knockoff, but I didn't mind. I love how X-Files was inspired by some great sci-fi/horror movies, and now x-files inspires the new movies. Most recently, I remember XF being mentioned as an influence in the commentary for Prometheus.

Aaah, Colony/End Game is so good. Season 4 is my favorite season of the show, and it probably is for a lot of people, so that could explain the higher price?

Space Suicide
07-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Haha, definitely a Thing knockoff, but I didn't mind. I love how X-Files was inspired by some great sci-fi/horror movies, and now x-files inspires the new movies. Most recently, I remember XF being mentioned as an influence in the commentary for Prometheus.

Aaah, Colony/End Game is so good. Season 4 is my favorite season of the show, and it probably is for a lot of people, so that could explain the higher price?

No idea. I still need to plow through season 3 before I even get to 4. I'll find and buy 4 soon as well as the others!

slave2thewage
07-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Memento Mori never fails to bring the tears.

Space Suicide
07-05-2013, 11:12 PM
I have yet to bother with the 2008 film(and I heard to stay away from it too) but this was a cool re-imagining:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cIADV6kfTw

The remix on my Songs in the Key of X soundtrack is a personal fave too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhPjSn7Ny38

Piko
07-06-2013, 12:16 AM
The second movie isn't that bad. Problem is, people probably expected answers and a follow-up to the mythology, which it didn't do. It's mostly an extended "monster of the week" episode. If you can go into it without super high expectations, you should be alright.

greyskies13
07-06-2013, 09:12 AM
i'm excited about the panel at comic con this year

Space Suicide
07-06-2013, 10:14 PM
Humbug...great to see the Jim Rose Circus. :p

Piko
07-07-2013, 12:07 AM
Humbug...great to see the Jim Rose Circus. :p

That was an awesome episode.

JessicaSarahS
07-07-2013, 12:19 AM

Yeah! I'm looking forward to the next one.

Space Suicide
07-11-2013, 04:21 PM
Just finished Paper Clip this afternoon and obviously am in the third season.

I now have come to terms to state that Walter Skinner is my favorite character, minus the obvious Mulder and Scully of course.

Space Suicide
07-16-2013, 02:05 PM
2shy is 2gross. :p

Yuck.

Still trekking along season 3.

Space Suicide
07-22-2013, 02:57 PM
So, found great priced copies of Season 4 and Season 5. Bought them both.

Just finished War of the Coprophages.

Exceptionally nasty....haha.

Space Suicide
07-24-2013, 12:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5C8tRqEe6U

Why have I never heard of this before?

I keep bumping this thread. :p

Space Suicide
08-09-2013, 11:41 PM
Top 20 X-Files Villains (http://www.buzzfeed.com/louispeitzman/the-20-scariest-x-files-monsters)

I got my hands on a few more season sets. Now I own 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 7. I still need to get 6, 8 and 9.

Currently just finished Unruhe.

Fixer808
08-10-2013, 12:19 AM
I gotta watch that show again, I don't think I missed an episode as they aired up until like season 5 or so. Flukeman freaked me out.

slave2thewage
08-10-2013, 01:13 AM
Unruhe is one of my favourite episodes. Season 4 is tied with 2 as being my favourite season as well.

Ryan
08-10-2013, 03:10 AM
Clyde Bruckman and Pusher have always resonated with me.

Space Suicide
08-11-2013, 12:49 PM
I gotta watch that show again, I don't think I missed an episode as they aired up until like season 5 or so. Flukeman freaked me out.

Everyone is by Flukeman, mostly...

Unruhe is one of my favourite episodes. Season 4 is tied with 2 as being my favourite season as well.

It is a good one. I also think Season 2 was really good as well. I just got finished Sanguinarium so I'm not all that far into Season 4 yet.

Minus a few throwaways, Season 3 is top notch. War of the Coprophages, 2shy, Quagmire, etc. are all great.

Clyde Bruckman and Pusher have always resonated with me.

The Clyde Bruckman episode is all right, I enjoyed it but it didn't grab me as much as it does other people. Pusher was also good.

As for as criminals I couldn't stand at all to where I wanted him dead by the end of the episode; I've only ever encountered one of them. That's Leonard Trimble from The Walk. I hated that guy. Astral projection asshole.

Space Suicide
08-16-2013, 12:57 AM
I'm a random bumper for this thread but I don't care. This is an extremely well done tribute video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxfd_rk2eV8

Ryan
08-16-2013, 01:26 AM
I'm a random bumper for this thread but I don't care. This is an extremely well done tribute video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxfd_rk2eV8

Fuck me that's good!

marodi
09-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Excellent article about the 20th anniversary of The X-Files and the show's impact on tv shows even today (http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/the-x-files-20th-anniversary-the-truth-was-out-there)

It's been 20 years already? I think I'll go through the entire series again to mark that anniversary.

Space Suicide
09-11-2013, 03:32 PM
Excellent article about the 20th anniversary of The X-Files and the show's impact on tv shows even today (http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/the-x-files-20th-anniversary-the-truth-was-out-there)

It's been 20 years already? I think I'll go through the entire series again to mark that anniversary.

Times flies!

On the subject, I just finished watching Fight the Future. So I will resume my trek through the seasons tonight when I begin season 6. I own all seasons now minus the ninth. I need to get on that.

burninglard
09-12-2013, 12:01 AM
Huge fan of the show when it was on air. I was only 7 when it first came on, but my dad let me watch it. Anyways after season 7 I lost interest and moved on to other tv shows in the past decade. But over the past year I have gotten back into the show, and I remember why I loved it so much. Great writing, performances and just a fun yet creepy show.
Also I am looking forward to watching seasons 8 and 9, I'll give them a fair chance.

Space Suicide
09-12-2013, 12:13 AM
Bit late but worth posting:

http://31.media.tumblr.com/ddaab51d4750db1062a1507dcc2037d4/tumblr_msz1xltswS1rc2cqjo1_500.jpg

Maximilian
09-12-2013, 12:59 AM
I only started watching it weekly back when Season 6 began, but now I've probably seen every episode at least twice. One of my favorite shows ever.

marodi
09-12-2013, 11:14 AM
Mulder in a Speedo; dear god. Rabid fangirlism wasn't born with the Internet; it just helped it spread. I remember reading an article in a magazine, back then, examining a capture of a pic of Mulder in his Speedo, discussing if he was carrying left or right. I thought I had seen it all and that nothing would ever top that.

How naive I was.

Space Suicide
10-23-2013, 09:06 PM
Obvious talk has been running rampant for a third movie after this year's Comic Con but recent events and appearances have fueled it further.

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2013/oct/12/gillian-anderson-david-duchovny-x-files-film

Shall see!

In other news, I'm in the middle of season 7. I just watched Closure today…is it sad that I cried during the final scene with Mulder and Samantha's spirit reuniting?

Piko
10-24-2013, 03:20 PM
They've all been wanting to do another movie for awhile now. They need a greenlight from Fox though. My guess is Fox is skeptical after the last movie. I want closure dammit!

Space Suicide
10-25-2013, 01:51 AM
They've all been wanting to do another movie for awhile now. They need a greenlight from Fox though. My guess is Fox is skeptical after the last movie. I want closure dammit!

I know and true but honestly, true fans will flock. Guaranteed.

Maximilian
10-25-2013, 05:57 AM
Well, I wish true fans would've flocked to I Want to Believe, despite what the general consensus is on it. We wouldn't be wondering whether or not there will ever be another one....

Space Suicide
10-25-2013, 09:03 AM
Well, I wish true fans would've flocked to I Want to Believe, despite what the general consensus is on it. We wouldn't be wondering whether or not there will ever be another one....

Agreed but I mainly blame that on people expecting and comparing it to the first movie from 1998. That was a Mythology based film and IWTB was more Monster of the Week flavoring. The first gave you more to sink into. Just my two cents.

I like IWTB honestly.

Piko
10-25-2013, 10:38 AM
I liked it. Just wasn't the movie people wanted.

Blackbookpress1984
10-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Watched "Hell Money" last night. totally of the beaten x-files path, but I think Lucy Liu is in it, and the Asian cop, pretty sure that's the guy from saw. yes?

Ryan
10-25-2013, 05:13 PM
Watched "Hell Money" last night. totally of the beaten x-files path, but I think Lucy Liu is in it, and the Asian cop, pretty sure that's the guy from saw. yes?

No, he's the guy from Law and Order.

Blackbookpress1984
10-26-2013, 03:10 PM
No, he's the guy from Law and Order.

ahh good call. knew i knew him from somewhere. :)

Piko
10-26-2013, 06:56 PM
Biggest mistake they made was doing a "monster of the week" movie, when they knew full well what their fanbase really wanted. Hopefully, they can do another one and do another mythology movie, like they should've done last time. I enjoyed the movie though.

jmtd
10-27-2013, 07:48 AM
Disagree. IWTB was a better movie, the mythology is dead and buried.

Piko
10-27-2013, 10:40 AM
Disagree. IWTB was a better movie, the mythology is dead and buried.

I don't think so. A little while back, when they started talking about a third movie, they mentioned the alien colonization, etc., which would follow the mythology. That was a year or so ago, so it could change by the time it happens, if it happens.

Space Suicide
11-01-2013, 06:26 PM
New comic book and hobby shop opened in town finally.

Helllo!

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/522024_10201848748332257_119546848_n.jpg

Ryan
11-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Is it any good?

Space Suicide
11-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Is it any good?

Good so far. Picks up directly after season 9.

I read it already and it was a good, quick read really. The comic "episode" is called "Believers" and is the first part of a five part serial (first five issues). The store I got it from has issues 2 and 5. I will get them sometime soon and order the rest online somewhere.

Space Suicide
12-19-2013, 10:20 PM
Still reading the Season 10 comics. The current serial is about the return of the Flukeman, whom is recreating a colony by replicating itself using human hosts. Pretty creepy and definitely something I could see happening.

On topic of season 10, I found this awesome fan made intro to a would-be season 10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B-04-_iezw

slave2thewage
12-20-2013, 03:05 PM
I've started a rewatch, and I'm in the latter half of season 5 (watching "Bad Blood", to be precise). This season is a lot better than I remembered it to be.

Space Suicide
12-20-2013, 08:05 PM
I've started a rewatch, and I'm in the latter half of season 5 (watching "Bad Blood", to be precise). This season is a lot better than I remembered it to be.

I like(d) all the seasons but season 6 was the last really great season. 7 onwards began to have snoozers while 8 and 9 had moments of greatness and boredom.

Hazekiah
12-29-2013, 03:48 PM
Bit late but worth posting:

http://31.media.tumblr.com/ddaab51d4750db1062a1507dcc2037d4/tumblr_msz1xltswS1rc2cqjo1_500.jpg

Nice thoughts, but damn, girl...proofread much?

Ryan
01-19-2014, 08:20 PM
http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/01/19/gillian-anderson-doesnt-think-an-x-files-movie-would-happen-until-2016-possibly-too-late-for-an-invasion-storyline

Gillian Anderson Doesn't Think a Third X-Files Movie Would Happen Prior to 2016; Possibly Too Late for an Invasion Storyline The actress is still interested in doing the film.
by Roth Cornet
January 19, 2014
Submit (http://www.reddit.com/submit) Tweet (https://twitter.com/share) Share (https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php) +1 (https://plus.google.com/share) Share (http://www.tumblr.com/share)

Gillian Anderson is busy shooting NBC's midseason thriller Crisis in Chicago. Set to debut this March, the high-concept series follows the kidnapping of several children of Washington D.C.'s elite. Anderson has also been featured in a fascinating guest-starring role on NBC's horror series Hannibal.
Even in the midst of the actress' increasingly busy schedule, though, it's possible that a third X-Files movie may move forward. It was reported last summer that The X-Files creator Chris Carter was developing script and that he, Anderson, and David Duchovny were all interested in reunited for the long-awaited film.
IGN was able to sit down with Anderson today to talk about her new drama Crisis (stay tuned for more on that). During the course of our conversation, we touched on oft-discussed X-Files movie. The actress indicated that she's still very open to returning to that world for a third film, but that she felt that it was unlikely to go into production in the near future.

"I'm sure it is being thought out," the actress said when asked if discussions about the film continued. "Looking at my schedule it's probably unlikely to happen before 2016, but that's the way things go."
http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2014/01/x-files-in-article-610x457.png (http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2014/01/x-files-in-article.png) Classic Mulder and Scully.

Anderson said that she isn't sure which storyline the film may draw from, as she doesn't get involved in those specifics, but that she felt that it may be "too late" to pursue the 2012 alien colonization through-line that the series established. "I'm not sure people would be interested in that anymore," Anderson reflected. "I don't know."
The date has come and gone, of course. It's possible that the film could be set in the recent past, though, or that Carter may find some other way to deal with the invasion.
In an August interview with Empire (http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=38546), the creator said he felt that it was important to address the colonization in some way. "The date (which was December 22, 2012 in the series) has passed, and that is something we wouldn't ignore," Carter explained. "For the second movie, we only had the budget for a standalone story, but we want to go back to the mythology."
We will keep you updated as details on the third X-Files film emerge.

Space Suicide
01-19-2014, 08:44 PM
Hopefully they get to it! I'm game!

Piko
01-19-2014, 10:16 PM
Explains why the second movie was the way it was.

fillow
06-23-2014, 08:43 AM
I was going to finally start watching this show, but its length kinda holds me off. Is there much of story development going on in monster-of-the-week episodes, as opposed to mythology episodes? Will I miss much if just stick to the mythology?

Piko
06-23-2014, 08:58 AM
Monster of the week are most contained storylines. But, you would be missing a lot of great stuff if you skipped through. Why not just enjoy the series at your own pace?

Space Suicide
06-23-2014, 09:38 AM
I was going to finally start watching this show, but its length kinda holds me off. Is there much of story development going on in monster-of-the-week episodes, as opposed to mythology episodes? Will I miss much if just stick to the mythology?

Most Monsters Of The Week episodes are standalone BUT a lot do have mentions, details, foreshadowing, plotlines and events that spill into Mythology.

Like revealing of Sully's cancer in the season 4 episode Leonard Betts.

I'd watch them all. Some of the ones without Mythology are some of the best like Home, Bad Blood, Humbug and Gender Bender (some of my faves).

Conan The Barbarian
06-23-2014, 11:29 AM
I think the monster of the week episodes are the best thing about the show.

Wretchedest
06-23-2014, 11:37 AM
The mythology never quite stacks up, definitely was a make it up as you go along sort of thing. But their cover isn't blown on that until about the beginning of season 7, and until that happens it's pretty intriguing.

blackholesun
06-24-2014, 05:13 PM
I've just started binge watching the show. Just finished the first season. I've heard bad things about where the mythology goes, but they were among my favorite episodes in the first season. Can't believe I'd never seen an episode of the X-Files until recently.

perceptionnexus
06-24-2014, 06:42 PM
I've been an XF dork since around when the first movie came out, and the whole thing kinda fell off my radar after the second movie. Still have all the original huge dvd season sets from like 15 years ago, which are now effectively useless due to netflix. They look cool lined up next to each other on my shelf tho. I remember they were like $90 a pop brand new at the time. Crazy.

So is there still any potential for the 3rd movie happening? I thought like a year or two ago it was in the works and it was going to supposedly wrap up the mythology. They honestly should have done that with the second film imo. It was a cool story and all and was great to see the characters together again, but to me it came off way more like it should have been an episode arc or miniseries instead of a fucking feature film. To this day I don't know how the execs at Fox didn't expect it to flop in theaters considering the fan base, the majority reaction to how the series ended, the 6 year period in between, and the movie being a MOTW story.

Piko
06-24-2014, 07:05 PM
It depends on Fox. They really seem to have the final say on it. Everyone wants to do it. Last I saw was that a script was being worked on, and it depends on Fox giving them the green light. No matter the budget, they should've known better than to make a monster of the week movie.

Space Suicide
06-24-2014, 07:21 PM
I've been an XF dork since around when the first movie came out, and the whole thing kinda fell off my radar after the second movie. Still have all the original huge dvd season sets from like 15 years ago, which are now effectively useless due to netflix. They look cool lined up next to each other on my shelf tho. I remember they were like $90 a pop brand new at the time. Crazy.

I do too. The foil slipcase Collector's Edition copies. They're awesome. I love them, I didn't buy them that expensive though. I think Season 9 was the most I paid for, which was like maybe 24.96 or some shit.

I'm game for a third film if they make it.

Anyone interested in an upgraded quality of the show should watch re-runs airing on Robert Rodriguez's El Rey Network channel. I watch it in the background here and there, although they skip random episodes and only seemed to have aired seasons 1-4 before they restarted with 1 again.

They just started season 2 on the channel; I watched The Host earlier on it. <3

themethatyouknow
06-24-2014, 08:38 PM
I've just started binge watching the show. Just finished the first season. I've heard bad things about where the mythology goes, but they were among my favorite episodes in the first season. Can't believe I'd never seen an episode of the X-Files until recently.

The mythology is good for the first 6 years, it just doesn't wrap up well.

I recently started listening to Kumail Nanjiani's "X-files files" podcast and it's made me want to go back and rewatch along with them. Kind of bizarre that he'd launch an X-files pod this long after the show ended, but it's pretty good.

Piko
06-24-2014, 09:14 PM
Duchovny's departure had a massive impact in the decline of the mythology. Not sure they knew what they were going to do with him leaving and after. We got super soldiers...

perceptionnexus
06-24-2014, 11:13 PM
Duchovny's departure had a massive impact in the decline of the mythology. Not sure they knew what they were going to do with him leaving and after. We got super soldiers...

And a mutant baby lol. One of my favorite characters other than ol' smokey that I always thought was awesome through the whole series was Gibson Praise. It was so cool how he could fuck with people just by....ehhh that's kind of a spoiler for those on here who are new to the show so I won't say anything. That's caring, folks.

William B. Davis is still the man though. "You can't threaten me Mulder, I've watched presidents die."
Best line of tv dialogue ever.

Piko
06-24-2014, 11:24 PM
Cancer Man was awesome.

Space Suicide
06-24-2014, 11:27 PM
Cancer Man was awesome.

http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab330/with_nail/inne/hipstercsm.jpg

Yes he is, best quotes of the show too.

blackholesun
06-25-2014, 11:16 AM
The mythology is good for the first 6 years, it just doesn't wrap up well.

I recently started listening to Kumail Nanjiani's "X-files files" podcast and it's made me want to go back and rewatch along with them. Kind of bizarre that he'd launch an X-files pod this long after the show ended, but it's pretty good.

The podcast is the reason I started watching actually. I planned to just watch along with the podcast, but got hooked almost immediately and decided to just watch them all.

Throw_it_away9
08-27-2014, 06:46 PM
The podcast is the reason I started watching actually. I planned to just watch along with the podcast, but got hooked almost immediately and decided to just watch them all.

Literally listening X Files Files right now. I was such a big fan growing up and am super stoked to rewatch these again [although I did a good amount of rewatching last year, oh well].

It's so funny, I've been finding that Kumail & the guest sometimes have the exact same conversations that my gf and I have after we watch the episode.

In case anyone is looking for the link go here (http://www.feralaudio.com/show/x-files-files/) for the podcast.

Space Suicide
08-27-2014, 09:05 PM
If anyone wants a slightly used, barely damaged copy of the Collector's Edition version of Season 8, give me a PM.

slave2thewage
08-27-2014, 09:32 PM
Crap, I have to catch up on the podcast. Gotta say, I disagree with some of the coverage choices regarding season one. And what if they cut one of my faves?

IF YOU SKIP UNRUHE, I WILL HURT YOU, NANJIANI!

Space Suicide
08-27-2014, 09:38 PM
Crap, I have to catch up on the podcast. Gotta say, I disagree with some of the coverage choices regarding season one. And what if they cut one of my faves?

IF YOU SKIP UNRUHE, I WILL HURT YOU, NANJIANI!

I never asked but what'd you think of seeing Gerry Schnauz on True Blood at Vamp camp? :p

slave2thewage
08-27-2014, 09:49 PM
I never asked but what'd you think of seeing Gerry Schnauz on True Blood at Vamp camp? :p

Holy crap, I had no idea it was the same actor. Asshole should have used Twilight Sleep on Pam if he wanted to get at her brain demon thingies.

Space Suicide
08-27-2014, 09:51 PM
Holy crap, I had no idea it was the same actor. Asshole should have used Twilight Sleep on Pam if he wanted to get at her brain demon thingies.

Yeah, he was the Psychiatrist.

http://media.sfx.co.uk/files/2013/07/true-blood-6.05-f-the-pain-away-shrink.png

Ryan
08-27-2014, 11:44 PM
Ich habe keine unruhe!

Ryan
08-27-2014, 11:45 PM
http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab330/with_nail/inne/hipstercsm.jpg

Yes he is, best quotes of the show too.

He's still looking good. Hurry up and make another X-Files movie with him in it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTA6VHMshws

It was nice to see him as the Sheriff in this movie too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tall_Man_%28film%29

Space Suicide
09-14-2014, 11:26 AM
Flipping through channels and finding that Chiller airs the show now! So both El Rey Network and Chiller air reruns.

Speaking of which, I find it surprising Chiller's airing "Home" tonight at 9. So bad it was aired once originally and never showed in syndication again on Fox as far as I know.

Well, Chiller is a horror channel so maybe it's not too surprising.

jmtd
09-14-2014, 02:38 PM
Fun episode that

Throw_it_away9
09-14-2014, 03:01 PM
This is a great week to catch up with the podcast and check out the Glen Morgan episode!

Just in case: X Files Files (http://www.feralaudio.com/show/x-files-files/)

blackholesun
09-19-2014, 04:18 PM
Sounds like Kumail said he's not skipping any episodes anymore. I'm glad. I loved the Glen Morgan episode. The Kevin Smith episode that dropped this week was pretty good too. I felt like they could have talked even longer.

I just finished season 5. So the first movie is next. Too bad it's not on Netflix.

Space Suicide
11-22-2014, 10:34 PM
This was too awesome to not share and necropost:

https://33.media.tumblr.com/bc03982a2f82fa4c212adaa7126d2e99/tumblr_ndthhtgqBe1qjptn9o1_400.jpg

Piko
11-22-2014, 10:41 PM
While that is cool. CURSE YOU!!!

Piko
01-17-2015, 07:44 PM
Looks like hope of a reboot. Wouldn't be surprised to see a limited series return. Seems to be the trend (24, Twin Peaks, etc). I'm all for another season. Anderson is a regular on Hannibal though...

http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/17/fox-x-files/

Space Suicide
01-17-2015, 09:20 PM
Looks like hope of a reboot. Wouldn't be surprised to see a limited series return. Seems to be the trend (24, Twin Peaks, etc). I'm all for another season. Anderson is a regular on Hannibal though...

http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/17/fox-x-files/ (http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/17/fox-x-files/)

I wouldn't hold your breath.

Khrz
01-17-2015, 09:23 PM
Holding other people's breath is very much illegal anyway...

I just rewatched the original serie, and the last two seasons were a drag, the mythos was a mess. For the time the serie was great, but they would have to seriously rewrite the whole thing and start fresh.

Piko
01-17-2015, 09:26 PM
Happens or not, I'll be fine. Seems pretty sure that the third movie isn't happening. I'm just hopeful (at some point) that maybe they bring it back for one season to give it a proper send off. And on a side note, if you plan on watching the series on netflix, you better hurry...

Ryan
01-17-2015, 09:42 PM
I'd prefer a third movie like they've been talking about since forever.

Piko
01-17-2015, 09:54 PM
I'd like another movie as well. Not very optimistic though. A reboot for a season would be more realistic. I don't see it coming back permanently or for a movie. Last movie flopped.

Fixer808
01-17-2015, 09:55 PM
This can only end in disappointment.

GulDukat
01-18-2015, 07:24 AM
I have never watched an episode of this show, but I just bought the complete series from Amazon. I love sci-fi and need something new to watch. Looking forward to starting season 1.

Sutekh
01-18-2015, 10:47 AM
it takes a little while to get going but stick with it, the 2nd and 3rd seasons are some of the best TV i've ever watched - and the cliffhangers to each season are intense

GulDukat
01-18-2015, 11:23 AM
it takes a little while to get going but stick with it, the 2nd and 3rd seasons are some of the best TV i've ever watched - and the cliffhangers to each season are intense
That's how I felt about DS9.

Space Suicide
01-18-2015, 11:23 AM
Season 2, 5 and 6 are my favorites.

Even though people shit on the show past season 4, season 6 had some of the BEST episodes of the series.

Sutekh
01-18-2015, 12:17 PM
for me the resolution to s3's cliffhanger was a bit of a ball drop, but at the end of the day it's good to the end. Plus you get random episodes written by people like William Gibson

DS9 is a good comparison, with both DS9 and the x files, you'd never know how awesome the show gets if you just watched the first few episodes

Plus did anyone mention Scully is like the fittest woman alive? Because she is

GulDukat
01-18-2015, 01:43 PM
for me the resolution to s3's cliffhanger was a bit of a ball drop, but at the end of the day it's good to the end. Plus you get random episodes written by people like William Gibson

DS9 is a good comparison, with both DS9 and the x files, you'd never know how awesome the show gets if you just watched the first few episodes

Plus did anyone mention Scully is like the fittest woman alive? Because she is
I'd add Babylon 5 to the list. Season 1 was pretty bad.

GulDukat
01-20-2015, 11:49 PM
Started season 1 tonight and watched the pilot. I'm not blown away, but I enjoyed it and look forward to watching the entire series. I can't believe I never watched an episode until now.

Space Suicide
01-21-2015, 12:08 AM
Started season 1 tonight and watched the pilot. I'm not blown away, but I enjoyed it and look forward to watching the entire series. I can't believe I never watched an episode until now.

I love the dark, gritty feel and low budget aspect of season 1. Squeeze, Ice, Gender Bender, Lazarus, Shapes, Tooms and The Erlenmeyer Flask are classic X Files. You should dig those.

Thinking about it now, I forgot how dark the earlier alien conspiracy episodes were like Deep Throat.

The show definitely comes into it's own for season 2. It runs amazing till season 6. I love 6 as stated but for some 6 onwards is where it falters. I honestly think season 7 is pretty weak (the last one with Mulder as a regular which isn't a spoiler really). I really loved season 8 as well. 9 is a mixed bag but has some great episodes as well.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is keep at it. You'll finally catch that one episode that's going to hook you and you won't be able to resist watching. I guarantee it. tell us all what episode that starts with as well.

@RhettButler (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3921) added more quintessential episodes!

Ryan
01-21-2015, 02:04 AM

Keep watching!

Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose is a masterpiece.

Wretchedest
01-21-2015, 02:12 AM
The first time you binge this show the mythos is really interesting, and as time went on i got more and more frustrated as the mythos got larger but more ambiguous. In retrospect, and by their admission, they were just writing things as they went along, as was the fashion at the time anyway.

In retrospect, its the monster of the week episodes that really shined and told great stories.

Blackbookpress1984
01-21-2015, 08:01 AM
I would love a reboot. Been a fan for a long time. The movie might be possible, but they have been talking about it for 2 years, and there is still no script written.

GulDukat
01-25-2015, 07:50 PM
I love the dark, gritty feel and low budget aspect of season 1. Squeeze, Ice, Gender Bender, Lazarus, Shapes, Tooms and The Erlenmeyer Flask are classic X Files. You should dig those.

Thinking about it now, I forgot how dark the earlier alien conspiracy episodes were like Deep Throat.

The show definitely comes into it's own for season 2. It runs amazing till season 6. I love 6 as stated but for some 6 onwards is where it falters. I honestly think season 7 is pretty weak (the last one with Mulder as a regular which isn't a spoiler really). I really loved season 8 as well. 9 is a mixed bag but has some great episodes as well.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is keep at it. You'll finally catch that one episode that's going to hook you and you won't be able to resist watching. I guarantee it. tell us all what episode that starts with as well.

@RhettButler (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3921) added more quintessential episodes!
Thanks, man, for the head's up. Working my way through season one now. As debut seasons go, I'm warming up to it.

dolemite
01-26-2015, 01:04 AM
My favorites were always the creature of the week episodes. I felt like the alien conspiracy stuff just got old and dragged things down after a while.

GulDukat
01-31-2015, 01:10 PM
Just finished "Eve," and that's my favorite so far. Great twist.

Space Suicide
01-31-2015, 02:41 PM
My favorites were always the creature of the week episodes. I felt like the alien conspiracy stuff just got old and dragged things down after a while.

When the Syndicate storyline was solved in Season 6 it was perfect. The Super Soldier and abduction storylines were good but not quite at that top quality level like previously.

Piko
01-31-2015, 08:03 PM
Season nine just showed they had run out of ideas.

Space Suicide
01-31-2015, 08:14 PM
Speaking about newer episodes (8 and 9), Roadrunners (from season 8) is quite possibly one of my absolute favorite episode of the series. It's so good.

Ryan
01-31-2015, 08:28 PM
Speaking about newer episodes (8 and 9), Roadrunners (from season 8) is quite possibly one of my absolute favorite episode of the series. It's so good.

Why would people worship a slug!?

Space Suicide
01-31-2015, 08:28 PM
Why would people worship a slug!?

Because they're whack in the head. Duh.

Ryan
01-31-2015, 10:16 PM
Lots of Scully Skin in that episode.

Space Suicide
02-08-2015, 07:00 PM
https://40.media.tumblr.com/206191b807fbb76c0a87000989bb94c9/tumblr_nj404stiNY1ssgr2ko2_1280.png

https://41.media.tumblr.com/b82367672c4618111fce0825fdd93c8f/tumblr_nj404stiNY1ssgr2ko1_1280.png

Ryan
02-18-2015, 07:14 PM
http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/david-duchovny-on-the-x-files-revival-it-s-looking/370087

Space Suicide
02-18-2015, 07:33 PM
http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/david-duchovny-on-the-x-files-revival-it-s-looking/370087

I'd prefer a mini-series or another film.

theimage13
02-18-2015, 07:53 PM
Since no one else has mentioned it in this thread, I will:

Chinga creeped the fuck out of me when it first aired. Jesus.

Space Suicide
02-18-2015, 07:57 PM
Since no one else has mentioned it in this thread, I will:

Chinga creeped the fuck out of me when it first aired. Jesus.

It was stronger of the two guest written episodes. I didn't care too much for Kill Switch, though the concept was excellent. The entire nightmare sequence with an amputated Mulder and Kung-Fi fighting Scully was a great little thing haha.

Piko
02-18-2015, 08:07 PM
I'd prefer a mini-series or another film.

Said it before and I'll say it again, if it comes back, it'll probably come back as a limited series. Probably not the usual 24 episodes. Maybe a 12 episode run.

Ryan
02-18-2015, 08:57 PM
Chinga was cowritten with Stephen King right?

Space Suicide
02-18-2015, 09:06 PM
Chinga was cowritten with Stephen King right?

Yes it was.

GulDukat
02-19-2015, 12:23 PM
Working on season 2. Just saw "3" and that was not one of the better episodes. Vampires? :eek:

Edo
02-19-2015, 03:35 PM
Working on season 2. Just saw "3" and that was not one of the better episodes. Vampires? :eek:

I distinctly remember liking Mark Snow's music in that one. And Mulder got laid. Jesus, I remember all that and I haven't even seen it since... 1997? :eek:

Space Suicide
02-19-2015, 05:46 PM

It has a creepy premise and good chemistry (but Perry and Duchovny were in a relationship at the time, hence how she was cast). The episode wasn't very good overall though sadly.

Liking the show any better?

I distinctly remember liking Mark Snow's music in that one. And Mulder got laid. Jesus, I remember all that and I haven't even seen it since... 1997? :eek:

The episode was from 1994, so way to go you. :p

GulDukat
02-19-2015, 08:42 PM
It has a creepy premise and good chemistry (but Perry and Duchovny were in a relationship at the time, hence how she was cast). The episode wasn't very good overall though sadly.

Liking the show any better?

The episode was from 1994, so way to go you. :p
Yes, I am enjoying the series.

Hazekiah
02-26-2015, 05:50 AM
Skip to 2:09...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1t0wE2avOs

Hazekiah
02-26-2015, 05:51 AM
Annnd looking for an excerpted version I found THIS, too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxJceRFKHuU

XD

GulDukat
03-13-2015, 07:04 AM
Working my way through season 2 and there have been some really fantastic episodes. "Irresistible" was just creepy as hell and "Die Hand Die Verletzt" was also very good.

GibbonBlack
03-24-2015, 12:24 PM
http://www.fox.com/the-x-files/thexfiles

Space Suicide
03-24-2015, 12:25 PM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/x-files-revived-at-fox-783960?facebook_20150324

Confirmed! Six Part Limited Series Run

Piko
03-24-2015, 12:58 PM
Six episodes?

telee.kom
03-24-2015, 01:10 PM
I'm curious which way will they go. If this will be run of only MOTW episodes, or some new myth-arc. I doubt they will try to resolve the old arc of alien invasion in only six episodes. They would need to set up the story again for new viewers and I don't see that very plausible. I'm also curious if they will be willing to continue doing another limited series if this will have success. I'm sure ratings of Fox will skyrocket when new x-files will be airing, just don't fuck it up and x-files could continue as miniseries in style of True Detective or Fargo

perceptionnexus
03-24-2015, 01:37 PM
Based on what Chris Carter has said over the past few years, this isn't going to be a 6 ep. monster of the week thing, it's going to be the proper conclusion to the mythology arc. I'm so stoked, I think this is the best way that this could happen. I think there's too many questions that another 2 hour feature film could possibly answer. Hopefully Vince Gilligan will be a part of it, and it'd be awesome if they could work William B. Davis in somehow.

Space Suicide
03-24-2015, 02:44 PM
it'd be awesome if they could work William B. Davis in somehow.

Flashbacks, they'd have to be. He done died by a Black Hawk.

P.S. LOL my avatar for the past month is relevant.

Piko
03-24-2015, 03:30 PM
With only six episodes, there's no way isn't can't all be mythology. Hopefully they will let us know what happened to Doggett and Reyes, or Kirsch. And for people wondering about the 2012 date, I wouldn't be surprised for them to make 2012 the timeline anyway. But, there's no way they can do monster of the week episodes.

perceptionnexus
03-24-2015, 04:52 PM
Flashbacks, they'd have to be. He done died by a Black Hawk.

P.S. LOL my avatar for the past month is relevant.

That was one of my favorite scenes!

Carter said they wouldn't ignore the 2012 date. Probably wouldn't be hard to write around it. Any number of reasons could be a sufficient explanation for the.....uhhhh.....whats the limitation with tagging spoilers here? I don't wanna be a dick or anything, I know some people are just experiencing the show via netflix, but its been 13 years and stuff. :p

Piko
03-24-2015, 05:05 PM
You would think someone would steer clear to avoid spoilers of any sort if they haven't seen it. If they haven't, they better get to it.

Space Suicide
03-24-2015, 05:31 PM
That was one of my favorite scenes!

Carter said they wouldn't ignore the 2012 date. Probably wouldn't be hard to write around it. Any number of reasons could be a sufficient explanation for the.....uhhhh.....whats the limitation with tagging spoilers here? I don't wanna be a dick or anything, I know some people are just experiencing the show via netflix, but its been 13 years and stuff. :p

Eh, use your judgment. Certain things like Samantha's fate, Scully's abduction and cancer, CSG's doings and fate, who Jeffrey Spender is related to, Syndicate's work and fate, Krycek's plans and Mulder's abduction and subsequent death and resurrection would best be left on the table as far as spoiler tags are concerned. Other random junk that isn't a major alert like say Deep Throat's death, X's death and Gibson praise related shit should be fine to leave open.

Ryan
03-24-2015, 06:04 PM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/x-files-revived-at-fox-783960?facebook_20150324

Confirmed! Six Part Limited Series Run

Fuck yeah!

Jon
03-25-2015, 11:30 PM
Can Gillian Anderson please keep her mole?

I know that sounds ridiculous, but I mean it sincerely.

Ryan
03-26-2015, 02:27 AM
Can Gillian Anderson please keep her mole?

I know that sounds ridiculous, but I mean it sincerely.

Was that a fake mole?!

elevenism
03-26-2015, 02:41 AM
I'm also curious if they will be willing to continue doing another limited series if this will have success. I'm sure ratings of Fox will skyrocket when new x-files will be airing, just don't fuck it up and x-files could continue as miniseries in style of True Detective or Fargo

i hope they do.
i am so fucking thrilled about this.
i can't believe it!

Jon
03-26-2015, 09:22 AM
Was that a fake mole?!

It's good to be the king!

I guess I meant please don't cover her birthmark with make-up. Anywho, I'd love to see a small part by Lance Henriksen/Frank Black.

Sutekh
03-26-2015, 12:05 PM
I feel uneasy about this... with good writers (and by good writers I mean vince gilligan), the main 2 leads and mark snow, it could be cool. But I dunno... I felt it was lame how the 2nd movie sidestepped what happened in the finale. I want to see M&S surviving in the post 2012 world (which you get that brief glimpse of when the smoking man is watching it all from a high window in that one episode)

Space Suicide
03-26-2015, 12:22 PM
Was that a fake mole?!

http://www.ew.com/sites/default/files/i/2014/10/14/Gillian-Anderson_0.jpg

No, see ^

Sutekh
03-26-2015, 01:32 PM
she must hold some super gene that simply must proliferate, it doesn't make sense how fit she is

GibbonBlack
03-26-2015, 09:31 PM
she must hold some super gene that simply must proliferate, it doesn't make sense how fit she is

And her personality was SO cute when she was on Top Gear. I haven't seen her in any interviews apart from that

Jon
03-27-2015, 12:53 AM
And her personality was SO cute when she was on Top Gear. I haven't seen her in any interviews apart from that

There should be plenty around the end of this year. The X-Files miniseries and season 3 of The Fall probably won't be far apart.

Sutekh
03-27-2015, 06:22 AM

she was on the one show too (with dave grohl) but I can't remember what she said because I was just cooing the whole time

Ryan
03-27-2015, 06:42 AM
I remember watching interviews of her on YouTube a while back, and in the earlier days she was a lot more quiet and uptight, then totally got relaxed as she got older (e.g. That Letterman interview where she gives him a kiss). She had her American accent on in that interview and I think I prefer when she sticks to that; the British one sounds a bit stuck up, I think.

fillow
03-27-2015, 07:13 AM
Meanwhile the new Hannibal season is just around the corner...

Space Suicide
03-27-2015, 09:18 AM
I always dug this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evAaRyeBIVU

GulDukat
03-29-2015, 01:32 PM
Just watched "Fearful Symmetry" and I hated it. It was preachy, went on forever and was just plain upsetting. 45 minutes of watching animals getting killed with some half-baked abduction angle thrown in. Worst episode that I've seen so far.

Jon
04-05-2015, 12:07 AM
Just watched "Fearful Symmetry" and I hated it. It was preachy, went on forever and was just plain upsetting. 45 minutes of watching animals getting killed with some half-baked abduction angle thrown in. Worst episode that I've seen so far.

That episode and "Darkness Falls" from season 1 both won Environmental Media Awards. "Darkness Falls" is/was excellent; wasn't "Fearful Symmetry" some weird William Blake-inspired episode?

---------------------------------

In a recent interview with David Letterman, David Duchovny stated that William B. Davis and Mitch Pileggi will be in the new miniseries.

Space Suicide
04-05-2015, 12:30 AM

That episode and "Darkness Falls" from season 1 both won Environmental Media Awards. "Darkness Falls" is/was excellent; wasn't "Fearful Symmetry" some weird William Blake-inspired episode?

---------------------------------

In a recent interview with David Letterman, David Duchovny stated that William B. Davis and Mitch Pileggi will be in the new miniseries.

I like Fearful Symmetry but I am not fond of Darkness Falls. That was one of the worst episodes of season one along with Young at Heart and Fire.

Hazekiah
04-05-2015, 12:33 AM
....wasn't "Fearful Symmetry" some weird William Blake-inspired episode?

Kinda hoping that's a rhetorical question.

Piko
04-05-2015, 01:20 AM
I actually like Fire...

Jon
04-05-2015, 04:03 AM
Kinda hoping that's a rhetorical question.

Ha, hush you! ;)

----------------------------

What was wrong with "Darkness Falls" as a MOTW episode?

telee.kom
04-05-2015, 04:09 AM
I like Fearful Symmetry but I am not fond of Darkness Falls. That was one of the worst episodes of season one along with Young at Heart and Fire.

I don't know why Darkness Falls get so much hate from some people, it always was my absolutely favourite episode from season 1

Space Suicide
04-05-2015, 09:17 AM
I don't know why Darkness Falls get so much hate from some people, it always was my absolutely favourite episode from season 1

I don't know, it just failed to grab me or hold my attention to where I didn't care if I ever watched it again.

howdidislipinto
04-05-2015, 01:50 PM
I always thought Darkness Falls was a shameless redo of Ice... and yet, I love both of them. They're both S1 highlights in my opinion.

Jon
04-06-2015, 10:42 AM
I always thought Darkness Falls was a shameless redo of Ice... and yet, I love both of them. They're both S1 highlights in my opinion.

You should explain that more if you're willing because I'm genuinely interested why it felt that way to you. They are both alien organism stories, but distinctly unique parasites.

Then there's the influence(s) for the episode:

Ice = The Thing
Darkness Falls = The Birds / Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Blackbookpress1984
04-06-2015, 01:16 PM

One of my all time favorites, I also don't understand the hate. It was a cool idea, and pretty well executed.

Shadaloo
04-08-2015, 03:40 PM
Chalk me up as another Darkness Falls fan, it's one of my favorites. I thought the episode did a good job of setting up a very tense and suspenseful atmosphere, especially when they were basically living by the light of the generator. The revelation that the hostile force was luminescent bugs may seem silly to some, but I enjoy that for all the series dealt with supernatural or extraterrestrial threats, it toyed with the notion that there could still be undiscovered species out there equally deadly, right in our backyard.

Also, the fact that no solution was found; no protection or any real shelter. They survived because they were lucky. Gave me chills the first time I saw it.

Space Suicide
04-08-2015, 07:35 PM
Some disliked episodes I really love and fancy are Agua Mala, Trevor, Rush, Syzygy and Surekill.

Some episodes I cannot stand and I HATE are Chimera, Young at Heart, Audrey Pauley (worst episode in the entire series to me) and All Souls.

Know what underrated episode is great? The Pine Bluff Variant.

Jon
04-23-2015, 11:05 PM
Netflix has upgraded The X-Files to 16:9 5.1 HD... Binge time!

Wretchedest
04-23-2015, 11:20 PM
The best episode is obviously and undisputedly the one with the Inception fungus that makes them think theyre ok, until they have to be pulled out of the ground.

Also the one with the voodoo worshiping neighborhood comitee with the strict rules, and mulder and scully have to pretend to be a new move in.

Jon
04-24-2015, 09:15 AM
The best episode is obviously and undisputedly the one with the Inception fungus that makes them think theyre ok, until they have to be pulled out of the ground.

Also the one with the voodoo worshiping neighborhood comitee with the strict rules, and mulder and scully have to pretend to be a new move in.

That neighborhood one I remember standing out.

They've been converting their database for the show over the past 2 days, Netflix should have it all switched over by now or very soon.

EDIT: Mark Snow's score work comes through nicely on the surround speakers. They also did not do anything funky with the dialog so it's front and center for the most part.

elevenism
04-24-2015, 11:48 AM

That is my favorite episode, without a doubt.
funny you should mention it, because since the mrs has never seen the xfiles, we have been watching them and i have been waiting for that episode. :)

Space Suicide
04-24-2015, 12:09 PM
Ah you're talking about Field Trip. Hilariously the episode takes place in "Boone County" which is obviously referring to the city of Boone here in North Carolina. Roughly only an hour north of where I live. Maybe I can find it, eh? :p

Arcadia is good too, the one Wretchedest mentioned about them faking being a couple in the gated community. That was another season 6 episode. So was Field Trip. Season 6 had a TON of great, underrated episodes.

imail724
04-24-2015, 12:12 PM
Sweet. Do they have the captions again too? I've been watching on Amazon Prime because of that.

elevenism
04-24-2015, 12:13 PM
sure enough., Space Suicide . i also love the one about the bank where time keeps resetting

seasonsinthesky
04-24-2015, 02:22 PM

it's about time. the quality is HORRID on the old encodes, like they uploaded YouTube FLVs! (maybe they did...)

Piko
04-24-2015, 02:31 PM
My dvds seem useless now..

Space Suicide
04-24-2015, 02:35 PM
My dvds seem useless now..

I really hate double dipping but unless the blu-rays make some substantial special features or amazing things happen, I'll just stick with my special edition digibook dvd sets.

Piko
04-24-2015, 03:28 PM
First I've heard about a blu ray set. Can't imagine the quality being a major difference aside from the first four seasons going from 4:3 to 16:9.

seasonsinthesky
04-24-2015, 04:51 PM
i sorta see these quality upgrades of pre-HD videos as the best preservation of every detail that exists, akin to the argument of having FLACs above 48kHz when available despite not hearing further quality increases. you don't want to reduce the quality that IS there. there are obviously exceptions, though, and the best for older stuff is always to scan the original film at high res like Baraka was, which is very cost-prohibitive most of the time. (you'd figure The X-Files would make that money back!)

with that said, best it's on a streaming service, imo. too bad nobody does this with music yet.

Jon
04-24-2015, 05:27 PM
i sorta see these quality upgrades of pre-HD videos as the best preservation of every detail that exists, akin to the argument of having FLACs above 48kHz when available despite not hearing further quality increases. you don't want to reduce the quality that IS there. there are obviously exceptions, though, and the best for older stuff is always to scan the original film at high res like Baraka was, which is very cost-prohibitive most of the time. (you'd figure The X-Files would make that money back!)

with that said, best it's on a streaming service, imo. too bad nobody does this with music yet.

I completely see where you're coming from with your statement in the first sentence. The X-Files quality-wise now looks equal to MPEG2 Blu-ray (which I know isn't all THAT spectacular), but like you said, it's by far the best it's ever been. I've been waiting as they've had House M.D., Bones, and Glee available in HD for quite some time now.

----------------------------------------

1. DVD vs. HD streaming vs. Blu-ray = do NOT throw out your DVD's! Several years down the road it will be the only way to see The X-Files in 4:3. Also, I wouldn't hold your breath for a Blu-ray (though it could happen). If you follow The Simpsons or Fox HD releases in general, you'll know that they only release "successful" seasons of series on Blu-ray. Look at any of the shows I listed above as examples.

2. They did NOT upgrade the SFX to HD. This is not too big of a deal as they are at least still present; if you want to see how bad it could be check out the Highlander TV series on Blu-ray.

3. I actually prefer the 16:9 as opposed to 4:3. I'd rather have the very tops of heads cut off than whole sides of a person's body missing. There are A LOT of shots of Mulder and Scully standing "side-by-side" that "make sense" now in 16:9. Facial close-ups are nice and tight.

4. This is not the same as the 16:9 HD version they are showing on German television. The Netflix version has a significantly "warmer" look, which is how I remember the show looking and seems more faithful to the Panavision work of that era.

5. I think it was Imail that asked: I have not noticed any problems with the CC so far. I have around 70 percent hearing loss in my left ear so I need the captioning much of the time myself.

elevenism
04-24-2015, 08:21 PM
back to favorite episodes, i LOVED existence.
It gave me goosebumps and made me choke up a bit...the part about them both knowing the truth :) .

Conan The Barbarian
04-24-2015, 11:45 PM
So is it still the first 13 episodes or are they going to remaster the whole series?

Jon
04-25-2015, 06:35 PM
So is it still the first 13 episodes or are they going to remaster the whole series?

You might need to clear your cache; they were at that point around 2 days ago.

EDIT: S1E14 and S2E24 are not showing up as HD for some people.

Ryan
05-11-2015, 06:47 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but the casting guy mentioned that Gillian will be covering up her mole like she did previously.

Space Suicide
05-12-2015, 04:52 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xft1/t31.0-8/885908_840416479329420_7488856237728168711_o.jpg

Together again! David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson and Chris Carter at the FOX Upfront presentation.

Wretchedest
05-12-2015, 05:40 PM
David Duchovny looks like David Duchovny but Gillian Andersen does NOT look like Gillian Andersen.

WorzelG
05-12-2015, 05:43 PM
I think Gillian Anderson looks amazing there

Jon
05-12-2015, 06:10 PM
David Duchovny is looking at Chris Carter's hair with amused alarm.

Throw_it_away9
05-12-2015, 06:45 PM
Ahhhhh, I'm so stoked for new X Files! Got myself a brand new spiffy t-shirt (http://shop.fox.com/the-x-files-logo-t-shirt/detail.php?p=829099) from the Fox store!

Gillian Anderson still looks amazing as ever!

-Started rewatching Undeclared (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0273028/), I had totally forgotten about Jay Baruchel tearing up his X Files poster before going off to college!

GulDukat
05-28-2015, 06:29 AM
Just finished season 2. Overall I liked the second season better than the first (which I did enjoy). The series is uneven, IMHO, but I'm looking forward to starting season 3.