PDA

View Full Version : Artists that you have seen in concert who are deceased

GulDukat
11-20-2021, 11:03 AM
1. Eddie Van Halen. Saw VH several times. I was on the fence about seeing them in 2015 because it's in Mansfield (the middle of nowhere in MA). Glad I did. Great show, glad I got to see Eddie and Dave on stage one last time.

2. Scott Weiland. Saw him many times with STP, Velvet Revolver and solo. The last few years were rough. Saw him and his band play at a small club in Boston in 2015, several months before he died. He put on a good show, and sounded good, but there was something joyless about his performance. He really should not have been touring.

3. Chris Cornell. Saw Soundgarden a few times and Cornell once, in 2015. It was the most intimate show I've ever been to. Didn't even feel like a concert. It was more like a few thousand fans hanging out in Chris's living room. He had such and easy going, warm maner, and such a powerful voice.

4. Chester Bennington. Never saw Linkin Park, but saw Chester twice with STP and once with The Kings of Chaos, which is an all-star tribute band. Saw them in Boston in December of 2016. Chester sang some Billy Idol (Steve Stevens was in the band), STP (Robert DeLeo was the bassist), and some other covers. He was fantastic, a true rock star.

5. Peter Tork. Saw The Monkees in 2013. They were great and Peter was super fan friendly/warm.

imail724
11-20-2021, 11:45 AM
There are far more artists that I'm bummed I never got the chance to see, or did have the chance but didn't go for one reason or another. But there are 2 big ones I'm proud to tell people I got to see before it was too late.

Prince and MCA/Beastie Boys.

WorzelG
11-20-2021, 01:08 PM
I’ve also seen Linkin Park and Soundgarden. Some I would add to the list are Alice in Chains in 1991 with Layne Staley, Type O Negative and Pantera, there are probably more

botley
11-20-2021, 03:55 PM
Cornell w/Soundgarden (opening for NIN in 2014). BB King. Charlie Watts (multiple times with the Stones). David Bowie.

This is a bummer, just going to stop there.

wizfan
11-20-2021, 06:55 PM
Thanos Anestopoulos of the Greek rock band Diafana Krina. He was in the final stages of cancer, and still performed his heart out. One of the most unforgettable concerts I've ever seen. Not even ten thousand posts would be enough for me to describe that experience...

SM Rollinger
11-20-2021, 09:34 PM
Linkin Park and Drowning Pool at Ozzfest 2001.

Original Slipknot lineup multiple times.

I'm sure there are others.

sonic_discord
11-21-2021, 12:12 AM
Tom Petty – This one is heartbreaking for me, but I am grateful I got to see him & the Heartbreakers four times – 2002 on The Last DJ tour, 2006 with Pearl Jam on the Highway Companion/30th Anniversary tour, 2010 on their Mojo tour, and 2017 in their 40th anniversary tour)

Chris Cornell – I saw Soundgarden open for NIN in 2014, but wish I had seen them a few more times. He had one of the best voices of the '90s.

Chester Bennington – I was never a huge Linkin Park fan (I liked a few songs here & there), but I saw them open for Metallica in 2003 on the Summer Sanitarium tour.

Artists who I wish I'd had the chance to see:

Layne Staley – I have seen Alice in Chains three times (and they're always good, even without him), but I never got to see them before he died.
Bradley Nowell – I have seen Sublime with Rome twice, but Brad died before I'd even heard of Sublime.
Kurt Cobain – I was aware of Nirvana and liked them, but didn't really get into them much until after he died.
Cliff Burton – Of course it would have been amazing to see Metallica in their prime with their best bassist! But he died when I was 3 years old.
David Bowie – My appreciation for Bowie mostly came later in life. He certainly would have been nice to see live.

LaneSax
11-21-2021, 01:44 AM
Jeff Hannemann of Slayer

fillow
11-21-2021, 04:38 AM
Flint with The Prodigy x 3

Everyone else I've seen is thankfully still alive (unless it was someone from opening or festival bands that I don't keep up with)

Jord
11-21-2021, 08:01 AM
Type O, got to see them a few years ago and it was brilliant. I also saw Slayer with Jeff which was a hell of a gig.

NotoriousTIMP
11-21-2021, 09:54 AM
Saw INXS three months before Michael died in 1997

botley
11-21-2021, 10:27 AM
Tom Petty – This one is heartbreaking for me, but I am grateful I got to see him & the Heartbreakers four times – 2002 on The Last DJ tour, 2006 with Pearl Jam on the Highway Companion/30th Anniversary tour, 2010 on their Mojo tour, and 2017 in their 40th anniversary tour)

Sadly, 2017 was the only show of theirs I actually saw, though I got to work backstage at the 2006 gig in Toronto. The stage setup on those outdoor shows looked so glorious, I'm sad not to have been out front:

https://i.imgur.com/aEb5gok.png

Jinsai
11-21-2021, 11:52 AM
Sparklehorse, LFO, David Bowie, Type O Negative, Slayer w/ Jeff Hannemann, Soundgarden w/ Chris Cornell, Beastie Boys w/ Adam Yauch, Pantera w/ Vinnie Paul and Dimebag, Elliott Smith, Tribe Called Quest w/ Phife Dawg, Dave Rosser from Afghan Whigs / Gutter Twins, 808 State w/ Andy Barker, Ray Charles...

It's always really surreal to think about.

bobbie solo
12-21-2021, 03:24 AM
I saw many of the artists listed here before they passed. The two I feel luckiest about were Chris Cornell, Beastie Boys & Prince. I am also very happy but also sad to add Riley Gale of Power Trip, Peter Steele of Type O/Carnivore, Dimebag/Vinnie of Pantera, ODB, MF Doom, Nipsey Hustle, Sean P of BootCamp/Heltah Skeltah & Deftones with Chi. Oh, and of course...Don Rickles.

imail724
12-21-2021, 11:02 AM
Oh, and of course...Don Rickles.
If we're including comics, I'm glad I caught Norm Macdonald 5 times, the first of which was a book signing where I got to meet him and get his autograph. Was planning on seeing him a sixth time a month or two ago...

GulDukat
12-21-2021, 11:37 AM
I really wish that I had seen The Monkees when they came to the area a month or two ago. It was billed as their final tour, but I figured that they might come back.

Saw them in 2013--still can't believe that Peter and now Mike are gone.

ickyvicky
12-21-2021, 11:48 AM
Scott Weiland, Chris Cornell, DMX, Walter Becker from Steely Dan, and Ronnie James Dio.

dinkle50
12-22-2021, 03:50 PM
BB King. Scott Weiland, solo & with STP. Chris Cornell with Soundgarden. Charlie Watts with The Rolling Stones. Bryan St. Pere from Hum. And of course, Tom Petty. RIP. This list makes me sad....

botley
01-07-2022, 07:46 PM
I was at this show. Extraordinary.

https://youtu.be/AgBMPZDUlqM

richardp
01-07-2022, 10:34 PM
I didn't actually see this show, and it's now one of my absolute biggest regrets, in regards of missed concerts. A bunch of friends all got together to go see The Dillinger Escape Plan and Soundgarden, but I passed in order to save money. It would have been my fifth time seeing Dillinger and as great as Soundgarden were, they weren't the most visually interesting band to watch, so that was my justification for not going.

Little did I know, that ended up being the second to last Soundgarden performance ever, as Chris died three days later.

GulDukat
01-07-2022, 11:26 PM
botley,

I would have loved to have seen Lou Reed.

elevenism
01-08-2022, 12:34 AM
Damn. Ruff subject.

Off the top of my head, Neil Peart of Rush, three times.
And good god, that shit just HURTS. I don't even like talking about it.

Lost Boyz with Freaky Tah being shot shortly thereafter: that show was UNREAL. It was a second stage thing, but I'll bet 90% of the 300 people who saw it bought the record: those guys hyped up/drew an all white crowd at Lolla, and won them over to the point that Tah was stage diving.

Type O on October Rust (and actually chilled and chatted with Peter for a bit,)

Gang Starr, before Guru died of cancer. I know there's new "Gang Starr," and even fairly RECENT Gang Starr: it seems like DJ Premiere thinks he IS the group, but Guru was the only original member when I saw them in the 90's.

Keef from Prodigy: I finally saw them for the first and last time (with Keith at least) when they toured on Fat of the Land, when they had the crossover hits.

STP with Scott in 1993, when I was barely thirteen.

AND, Daisy Berkowitz from the old school MM (if you're 40 and over and saw the FDTS tour, you may have seen him too,)

Edit: This is kind of a Dallas thing, but, Carter Albrecht, of Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians. I also knew him as the frontman from Sparrows and Sorta, and was pretty friendly with him. He died in a horrible, violent way that had to do with an antidepressant turned smoking cure. That one hit pretty damn hard.

Yeeeeeeah, this thread is GRIM, @...wait a minute.. @GulDukat (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3921) ! You grim bastard! :p

botley
01-08-2022, 12:29 PM
@botley (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=469) ,

That band he had for the 2008 shows (and also the Lollapalooza 2009 gig (https://www.discogs.com/release/15272070-Lou-Reed-Lollapalooza-Live), but with a different sax player) was just sensational. I wish they would put out the whole gig if it's been filmed like the clip above, because it was amazing. Zorn was just wailing on about 75% of the show (https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/lou-reed/2008/highline-ballroom-new-york-ny-63d652df.html), which was unbelievable. Mike Rathke and Rob Wasserman from the New York/Magic and Loss era on guitar and bass, Steve Hunter (the lead guitar player from Berlin and Rock n Roll Animal), Tony "Thunder" Smith on drums, that guy from Metal Machine Trio and multi-instrumentalist Kevin Hearn. It was mesmerizingly good.

chuckrh
01-08-2022, 12:35 PM
@botley (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=469),

Lou bummed a cigarette from me once :D I was like "here Lou, take the pack!".

chuckrh
01-08-2022, 12:39 PM
Sadly, too many to count. Everyone from Muddy Waters to Layne Staley. Most recently, Charlie Watts. If I get undepressed I'll do a list of late musicians I've met. There's a real lot of those, too. David Bowie & Kurt Cobain spring to mind immediately since I still play them all the time.

botley
01-08-2022, 07:41 PM
Been about ten years since I saw Levon Helm at Massey Hall, and I just watched the Ain't in It for My Health film again. I've been revisiting The Band's albums because they've put out remixed versions of them lately, and just marvel at Levon's musicianship.

buckets of lube
01-08-2022, 07:51 PM
Chris Cornell (twice solo and once with Soundgarden)

Chester Bennington (with LP)

Keith Flint (with The Prodigy)

Leon Russell

SOPHIE

Mac Miller

Clarence Clemons (with Bruce and the E-Street Band)