PDA

View Full Version : Prince sample in Sanctified?

blake_aux
06-27-2021, 01:24 PM
I asked this on Reddit a while ago but should have thought to come here as well. We know a car swerving noise from Prince's Alphabet Street was used in Ringfinger. I'd like to submit that TR used another Prince sample (from "Kiss") at the end of Sanctified. The tinny percussive thing over the last chorus. I discovered this while listening to the multitrack files.

Am I way off here? Or has someone already found this long ago?

I made this little audio clip so you can get an idea what I'm talking about: https://soundcloud.com/youngnightdrifters/nin-sample

I make the case in a lot more detail on my podcast, Nailed. So yeah, this is half self-promotion and half trying to discern whether I'm full of shit here by asking the community. Lemme know if you want more info on hearing the episode.

butter_hole
06-30-2021, 11:03 PM
Sounds right to me! I haven't heard anyone else mention it before.

Leviathant
07-01-2021, 12:12 AM
I asked this on Reddit a while ago but should have thought to come here as well. We know a car swerving noise from Prince's Alphabet Street was used in Ringfinger. I'd like to submit that TR used another Prince sample (from "Kiss") at the end of Sanctified. The tinny percussive thing over the last chorus. I discovered this while listening to the multitrack files.

Am I way off here? Or has someone already found this long ago?

I made this little audio clip so you can get an idea what I'm talking about: https://soundcloud.com/youngnightdrifters/nin-sample

Similar rhythm, but the drums in Kiss are much less busy, and much less punchy. I can hear multiple hits to the kick drum in the sample in Sanctified, Kiss has very simple, single kick drum hits, with gated reverb. I think you're going to have to look at hip hop records for the actual sample.

henryeatscereal
07-01-2021, 12:56 PM
Has Trent sampled Prince in other songs?, just curious...

FULLMETAL
07-01-2021, 01:20 PM
HAs Trent sampled Prince in other songs?, just curious...

Off the top of my head, the Opal remix of HLAH has obvious samples from "Release It" & "Tamborine."

Dave Constant
07-02-2021, 10:28 PM
Ring Finger samples heavily from Prince's Alphabet Street.....starting from the Jane's Addiction drum and mother fucker in the back half.

blake_aux
07-03-2021, 03:33 PM
Similar rhythm, but the drums in Kiss are much less busy, and much less punchy. I can hear multiple hits to the kick drum in the sample in Sanctified, Kiss has very simple, single kick drum hits, with gated reverb. I think you're going to have to look at hip hop records for the actual sample.

Yeah, after listening about a thousand times and messing with EQ and stuff, I think there's layering going on here, but I still hear the Kiss beat and gated chords beneath. I also hear the "Ooh!" from the beginning of Kiss--almost undeniably Prince's voice--but perhaps chopped up and moved around?

In Keyboard magazine in 1990, Trent said this sample at the end of Sanctified would be "Obvious," so I figured it's more likely to be an identifiable pop song than something more obscure.

ecirb
07-04-2021, 02:59 AM
"Release It" is actually sampling "Squib Cakes" by Tower of Power. So Trent is sampling Prince's sampling of Tower of Power