PDA

View Full Version : Trent to Take part in 'BBC Introducing Masterclass' - Jan 19th 2012

The Reason Being
01-11-2012, 03:04 PM
"Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails, Wretch 32 and Jamie Cullum are all confirmed to take part in this year’s masterclass.
In addition, Maverick Sabre, Friendly Fires, Magnetic Man and Frank Turner will also be involved with the special event, taking place on Thursday, January 19 at the legendary Abbey Road Studios and BBC Maida Vale Studios, London.

Now in its second year, the BBC Introducing Masterclass supports unsigned and undiscovered artists by giving them access to, and insights from, high-profile musicians and industry professionals."

http://www.musicweek.com/story.asp?sectioncode=1&storycode=1048086&c=1

carpenoctem
01-11-2012, 03:07 PM
Very cool! Never heard of this before. (Insert Meet Your Masterclass joke here)

sheepdean
01-11-2012, 03:09 PM
God, more Zane Lowe. Cool though, I'll need to figure out how to rip from iPlayer at some point.

Shame it's only audio though, means I can't just turn on subtitles whenever Zane fucking Lowe opens his mouth

jmtd
01-11-2012, 03:31 PM
God, more Zane Lowe. Cool though, I'll need to figure out how to rip from iPlayer at some point.

Shame it's only audio though, means I can't just turn on subtitles whenever Zane fucking Lowe opens his mouth

That, at least, means that the ripping will be easier :-)

sheepdean
01-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Wait, rereading it, it might be video?

Also, as it's 90 minutes long, me transcribing this is an option if someone says please, but realistically I think a rip would be easier for all of us

Torgo
01-11-2012, 04:26 PM
Can someone explain what this is? It sort of sounds like a 'The Voice'... but I can't be fucked to do a quick search about it.

sheepdean
01-11-2012, 04:38 PM
It's a thing where musicians talk to people trying to get into the biz about making music and surviving in the actual music industry. I think I could probably predict the exact things Trent'll say, but it'll be cool regardless

onthewall2983
01-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Steve Rothery from Marillion is doing this as well.

icklekitty
01-11-2012, 04:52 PM

<3
I have to admit, when I first saw the title, I read "Trent to take part in Masterchef".

This isn't The Voice - we're getting that too. To give you an idea of what to expect, here's Zane Lowe interviewing another anal piano player from last year's series. Note the run time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFBrvs2GCIQ

sheepdean
01-11-2012, 05:06 PM
Trent's runtime will be 90 minutes according to the official site.

icklekitty
01-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Sure; you've got to add the additional 40 minutes for Zane's extra fap noises.

sheepdean
01-11-2012, 05:21 PM
From my experiences seeing him live, he will spend 20 minutes telling trent to "bounce" to really dull music too

The Reason Being
01-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Fuck Gary Barlow.

I wonder if Trent will pop up anywhere else throughout the course of the day. Seems cool of him to cross the pond specifically (I assume) for this.

sheepdean
01-11-2012, 07:03 PM
It's going to be prerecorded, unlike other segments, so I doubt it. And I think it's more likely that Zane flew over to Trizzle Rizzle's pad, assuming this was recorded during either OST recording or promotion.

Leviathant
01-11-2012, 08:33 PM
In a strange way, Zane Lowe reminds me of Matt Pinfield. When I was younger, I really didn't want to like Matt Pinfield, his eagerness seemed strange, sort of annoying. But he knows his shit. Sure, Zane gets his fap on when he's talking to Trent, but when they talk, I feel like Zane does a good job of balancing the process of keeping his audience interested in this guy they probably don't know anything about, with talking about stuff that illustrates that he's definitely done his research. Like, if he didn't have better things to do, Zane would be on ETS, obsessively keeping us posted on stuff that even I don't keep track of. And then he takes the opportunity, interviewing Trent about Dragon Tattoo, to play March of the Pigs on BBC1. I don't know why I want to knock him, but I can't really. But then, maybe that's because the only times I've ever listened to Zane Lowe is when he's talking about NIN ;p

cashpiles (closed)
01-11-2012, 09:20 PM
I enjoyed the Gary Barlowe interview. I think Zane did a great job of drawing out and engaging him. Zane did have some peckerish tendencies towards the beginning of the interview, but I think that was part of getting Gary into it and the core of Zane's interviewing skills are solid.

Saying that, I'm interested to see and hear how Trent will respond to Zane. As everyone here probably knows, Trent can man-handle just about any interviewer. If Zane is actually a pecker and he is only kept down by the dominance level of the interviewee, then Trent is going to destroy him.

icklekitty
01-12-2012, 03:24 AM
But then, maybe that's because the only times I've ever listened to Zane Lowe is when he's talking about NIN ;p Probably! He tends to be all over any kind of TV or radio "young people" music broadcast here. I'm sure there's an irritating version on your side of the pond somewhere.

He would be a lot more bearable with some kind of gasp/squeal filter. But then, I imagine so would all NIN fans.

jmtd
01-12-2012, 03:37 AM
Zane is basically the only person on Radio 1 I could tolerate listening to: I say could, because I only tune into R1 once in a blue moon anyway, these days. Well, I guess I enjoyed Rob Da Bank and Annie Nightinggale now and then. RIP Peel!

sheepdean
01-12-2012, 05:34 AM
You're showing your age if you're saying RIP Peel :P

Leviathant
01-12-2012, 10:05 AM
Probably! He tends to be all over any kind of TV or radio "young people" music broadcast here. I'm sure there's an irritating version on your side of the pond somewhere.

Sounds a bit like Carson Daly. Dude was on MTV's ... Peoples Choice? No that's not it. I don't even remember what the program was. You call in to vote on your favorite video (oh, life before YouTube...) Very much in the public eye for stuff I didn't really care about, but underneath that veneer of glossy crap, there was a sense that he had a really decent taste in music. And that came to show more when he got his own late night network TV show, and started booking bands of all types there.

Jon
01-12-2012, 10:18 AM
Sounds a bit like Carson Daly. Dude was on MTV's ... Peoples Choice? No that's not it.

Won't get off-topic for too long, I promise...

You're thinking of TRL (Total Request Live). Between 120 Minutes and TRL, those were THE places to premier a music video "back in the day". And yes, Carson Daly comes off as a douche most of the time but he does know his music "stuff"

onthewall2983
01-12-2012, 10:40 AM
And now he's stuck in the wilderness with a 1:30 timeslot following Jimmy Fallon on NBC.

Highly Psychological
01-12-2012, 10:45 PM
So is Trent going to be in London at Abbey Road Studios?, like actually be there talking and giving a speech and all that? Or was it prerecorded in L.A? Wonder if this is with an audience? And i cannot fucking stand Zane Lowe. I believe he is genuinely enthused about Nine Inch Nails, but he always crosses the line and just is literally just asslicking, he has an orgasm over the most mundane acts out there too. He is like that with everyone...very annoying. Too Much.

sheepdean
01-13-2012, 05:31 AM
So is Trent going to be in London at Abbey Road Studios?, like actually be there talking and giving a speech and all that? Or was it prerecorded in L.A? Wonder if this is with an audience? And i cannot fucking stand Zane Lowe. I believe he is genuinely enthused about Nine Inch Nails, but he always crosses the line and just is literally just asslicking, he has an orgasm over the most mundane acts out there too. He is like that with everyone...very annoying. Too Much.
Pre recorded, no audience - and likely to be LA, but it could as easily be in London

JessicaSarahS
01-14-2012, 12:45 AM
Pre recorded, no audience - and likely to be LA, but it could as easily be in London

Could have been recorded before/after that BBC audio interview for TGWTDT?

sheepdean
01-14-2012, 02:47 AM
Possible, but that was on the phone, and I think this is going to be in person

The Reason Being
01-19-2012, 08:04 AM
well the stream is going awfully for me, just jumping all over the place. The talk with Trent isn't for another 2 hours though. Will anyone be able to to rip this somehow?

icklekitty
01-19-2012, 09:03 AM
It's working fine for me at the moment. Jamie Cullum, bless.

Trent's slot is currently down as 75 minutes long, but that's a timeslot also shared with the boss of XL recordings, so I'd assume it would be half or two-thirds of that.

sheepdean
01-19-2012, 10:11 AM
28 minutes he'll be

sheepdean
01-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Nothing really special, but then again it wasn't for fans but for musicians, so I guess useful for some

acidpolly
01-19-2012, 10:40 AM
not available in your area :mad:
GODDAMN shithole I live in
will wait for your recording, guys...

jmtd
01-19-2012, 10:55 AM
You're showing your age if you're saying RIP Peel :P

I was alive in 2004, and that makes me *OLD*?!?!

princessomega
01-19-2012, 11:55 AM
<3
I have to admit, when I first saw the title, I read "Trent to take part in Masterchef".

I have to admit that I would actually like to watch TR doing something like cooking a favorite recipe.
That might make for some interesting Television. Something out of the ordinary.

But back on topic Im looking forward to hearing this interview...whenever someone can get it up.
Thanks.

DigitalChaos
01-19-2012, 12:08 PM
I have to admit that I would actually like to watch TR doing something like cooking a favorite recipe.
That might make for some interesting Television. Something out of the ordinary.

But back on topic Im looking forward to hearing this interview...whenever someone can get it up.
Thanks.

http://cookingwithrockstars.com/artist/dresden-dolls-brian-viglione

princessomega
01-19-2012, 01:10 PM
I know its off topic...but thanks for that link DigitalChaos!
I NEVER knew that existed...interesting.

liquidcalm
01-20-2012, 02:12 AM
if you are in the UK (it's probably blocked overseas) here is the link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/introducing/advice/masterclass/2012/video/#p00nf05m

JessicaSarahS
01-20-2012, 02:28 AM
if you are in the UK (it's probably blocked overseas) here is the link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/introducing/advice/masterclass/2012/video/#p00nf05m

Yep. Blocked. Can someone rip the video and share? I can try to do it tomorrow, if nobody else can.

sheepdean
01-20-2012, 05:30 AM
Anyone ever heard of Tunnelbear?
*cough*

Indefinite_Cure
01-20-2012, 10:17 AM
there's a copy circulating on youtube...missing a few minutes at the beginning...

DigitalChaos
01-20-2012, 10:44 AM
i will rip it later today if nobody else has done so by then
can't rape my cell modem for that right now

acidpolly
01-20-2012, 01:09 PM
*cough*
hey, thanks for the tip!
installed it and watched the video! very nice interview (nothing really new but anyway)
something seems to be wrong with their camera, faces look 1.5 wider than their actual size :)

DigitalChaos
01-20-2012, 01:23 PM
*cough*
nice, i hadn't heard of this one before. I will definitely take some free proxy action! If only they had a Canadian node too. Really needed one of those lately. Any suggestions there?

Ripping now
http://dc.moose.cc/temp/rippp-20120120-112241.jpg

DigitalChaos
01-20-2012, 02:12 PM
So which of you wants to be the uploader? :)

DigitalChaos
01-20-2012, 03:19 PM
Also, this file is a pain in the ass. I cant figure how to reencode the FLV without the sound massively drifting. I have the interview cut out and the aspect ratio fixed but this sound drift is killing me... Someone else will have to take a stab at this. As it stands now there is a 1 hour 750mb FLV that plays just fine.

[Shep]
01-20-2012, 06:23 PM
ha!
"The Head of the label who I won't mention... STEVE GOTTLIEB"

YKWYA
01-20-2012, 06:57 PM
Awesome. I chuckled at that. Heard a lot of what was said before, but still, interviews like that are why I love TR.

JessicaSarahS
01-20-2012, 06:58 PM
*cough*

*spit* I have it but I felt lazy yesterday and didn't feel like watching/ripping.

Bonedwarf
01-20-2012, 11:51 PM

I bet it would involve pork.

TheBang
01-21-2012, 06:24 AM
I extracted the stream and created the following video and audio-only files.

The video was broadcast at the wrong aspect ratio (everything looks squished). I saved the file such that QuickTime Player 7 will playback the video in the proper aspect ratio, so I recommend using that for playback.

BBC Introducing... Masterclass 2012 - Trent Reznor (Video) - 28 min, 297 MB http://www.sendspace.com/file/y9199f
BBC Introducing... Masterclass 2012 - Trent Reznor (Audio) - 28 min, 25 MB http://www.mediafire.com/?ddsfcjjjz6xcxxz

Technical details:

Direct RTMP stream rip with Replay Media Catcher. Demux to elementary streams with FLV Extract. Remux to proper MPEG-4 container with mp4box. Because it required both editing (trim start and end) and aspect ratio correction (during playback, NOT re-encoding), I made the changes in QuickTime Pro and saved the movie in a QuickTime container which can perform both without re-encoding.

acidpolly
01-21-2012, 12:01 PM
Thank you, TheBang! And thank you for correcting aspect ratio, it was really crazy to watch online version :)

sadpanda
01-21-2012, 10:59 PM
tahnks yo

redshoewearer
01-22-2012, 07:42 PM
That was good - thanks for posting

TheBang
01-23-2012, 06:10 AM
So, I just assumed that the proper aspect ratio for the video was 16:9, but upon further reflection and testing, it looks like it should actually be 4:3.

I've reuploaded the video again, with the corrected playback aspect ratio information. Again, only QuickTime Player 7 will read this playback information properly. I recommend that you redownload the new video file if you downloaded previously.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/y9199f

If you are using a different player, you'll want to set the movie playback dimensions to approximately 640 x 617.

fillow
01-23-2012, 06:32 AM
Anything new in this interview, or just rehashing whatever has been already said recently about music industry, soundtracks, etc. ?

DigitalChaos
01-23-2012, 11:28 AM
I extracted the stream and created the following video and audio-only files.

The video was broadcast at the wrong aspect ratio (everything looks squished). I saved the file such that QuickTime Player 7 will playback the video in the proper aspect ratio, so I recommend using that for playback.

BBC Introducing... Masterclass 2012 - Trent Reznor (Video) - 28 min, 297 MB http://www.sendspace.com/file/y9199f
BBC Introducing... Masterclass 2012 - Trent Reznor (Audio) - 28 min, 25 MB http://www.mediafire.com/?ddsfcjjjz6xcxxz

Technical details:

Direct RTMP stream rip with Replay Media Catcher. Demux to elementary streams with FLV Extract. Remux to proper MPEG-4 container with mp4box. Because it required both editing (trim start and end) and aspect ratio correction (during playback, NOT re-encoding), I made the changes in QuickTime Pro and saved the movie in a QuickTime container which can perform both without re-encoding.

And this is why I failed.
Out of curiosity, was there some massive audio shift in the FLV for you or did mine somehow get screwed up?

TheBang
01-23-2012, 02:41 PM
Out of curiosity, was there some massive audio shift in the FLV for you or did mine somehow get screwed up?
No, there wasn't, but I did experience audio drift before with the New York Times interview last year, which I was never able to correct properly. So, I was dreading the drift on this video after your comments, but pleasantly surprised when there wasn't any.

ZootZap
01-29-2012, 04:18 PM
@TheBang

Thanks for the upload! and it it looks better now after correcting the aspect ratio.