PDA

View Full Version : The EGOT

chuckrh
09-18-2020, 11:01 AM
I seriously doubt Trent gives a shit about this but just for fun what sort of project could Trent & Atticus do for Broadway? One path would be providing instrumental music for someone else's production. The more interesting possibility would be adapting an existing work for that forum, much like Bowie did with Lazarus. I think TDS, TF & YZ all could be candidates for that treatment. Something truly radical. Remember, this is just fantasy but what does everyone think? DISCLAIMER: I am not a fan of Broadway musicals! That being said, the original cast recording of Lazarus has some really good & interesting stuff on it. I got it due to a bad Bowie addiction. Who knew Dexter could sing?

Toadflax
09-18-2020, 11:05 AM
I mean, we’re still holding out hope for the Fight Club musical, right?

botley
09-18-2020, 11:23 AM
Year Zero on Ice

botley
09-18-2020, 11:26 AM
Ghosts I–IV performed by the cast of STOMP! and featuring Lil' Nas X (I would actually go see this)

botley
09-18-2020, 11:31 AM
Scenes from The Roadhouse starring Balthazar Getty

allegate
09-18-2020, 11:40 AM
I mean, we’re still holding out hope for the Fight Club musical, right?
why did you make me remember this? on top of the fact there's a Fight Club 2?

https://collider.com/fight-club-musical-david-fincher-julie-taymor/

never mind Fight Club 3...

sonic_discord
09-18-2020, 11:41 AM
So, now Trent has a Golden Globe, an Emmy, three Grammy awards, and an Oscar sitting on his mantle. Plus he's been inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, too. That's pretty impressive!

paul_guyet
09-18-2020, 01:14 PM
As long as Reznor and Ross weren't in direct competition with Miranda, I feel like this wouldn't be that tough for them to win. And I'd love to see a Fight Club musical that skewers the uber-manliness of it. "Is That What A Man Looks Like?" could be a "trying on hats" number when increasingly beefy men are brought out wearing less and less clothing until the most naked, most Tom of Finland fuccboi walks out and the song ends.

Toadflax
09-18-2020, 01:25 PM
I think there's a solid chance some NIN songs/lyrics were originally conceived for the Fight Club musical. Every Day Is Exactly The Same, Demon Seed, Copy of A, In Two, The Idea of You, Shit Mirror... there are recurring themes of ennui/repetition/feeling like you can't wake up along with themes of having an Other growing inside you getting out, controlling you, and making you forget you did something.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ed/46/ea/ed46ea7d20411c06b7be3fccbbd612f0.gif

Toadflax
09-18-2020, 01:26 PM
why did you make me remember this? on top of the fact there's a Fight Club 2?

https://collider.com/fight-club-musical-david-fincher-julie-taymor/

never mind Fight Club 3...

Fight Club 2 is pretty bad. I haven't picked up 3 yet, because I'm afraid it'll be more of the same.

AThousandDaysBefore
09-18-2020, 04:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RgR0-EWuNY

Toadflax
09-18-2020, 05:57 PM
Seriously, though, how cool would it be to see Trent on this very short list?

Richard Rodgers
Helen Hayes
Rita Moreno
John Gielgud
Audrey Hepburn
Marvin Hamlisch
Jonathan Tunick
Mel Brooks
Mike Nichols
Whoopi Goldberg
Scott Rudin
Robert Lopez
Andrew Lloyd Webber
Tim Rice
John Legend
Alan Menken

onthewall2983
09-18-2020, 07:43 PM
That being said, the original cast recording of Lazarus has some really good & interesting stuff on it. I got it due to a bad Bowie addiction. Who knew Dexter could sing?

Anybody who watched Michael C. Hall on Six Feet Under.

TheBang
09-18-2020, 09:33 PM
Seriously, though, how cool would it be to see Trent on this very short list?
They're already in pretty rarified company. There are only 114 people (including TRAR) who have competitively won at least 3 of the 4 awards (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_who_have_won_Academy,_Emmy,_Grammy, _and_Tony_Awards#Three_competitive_awards).

zecho
09-18-2020, 10:18 PM
Year Zero on Ice

Is that not just the current state of the US?

allegate
09-18-2020, 11:10 PM
No, most of the US is on fire.

At least the rains today helped with some of that.

chuckrh
09-18-2020, 11:31 PM
Anybody who watched Michael C. Hall on Six Feet Under.

I missed 6 Feet Under. Didn't have the premium channel it was on. I have managed to catch Dexter in small pieces over the years.

paul_guyet
09-18-2020, 11:57 PM
Anybody who watched Michael C. Hall on Six Feet Under.And anyone who saw him star in Hedwig & The Angry Inch.

Toadflax
09-19-2020, 09:43 AM
On A Roll: The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Ashley O

paul_guyet
09-19-2020, 11:19 AM
On A Roll: The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Ashley OOh fuck...did...did you just win TR/AR their Tony?

allegro
09-19-2020, 12:54 PM
I do think there could be a Broadway production of The Downward Spiral. No, REALLY.

I can see the "Reptile" production in my head right now.

There'd be advance "Seizure" warnings for lighting in the "Mr. Self Destruct" intro segment.

Toadflax
09-19-2020, 01:37 PM
I do think there could be a Broadway production of The Downward Spiral. No, REALLY.

That kind of thing might happen someday, but I doubt it would get enough attention to garner a Tony. NIN's fan base is only so big when compared to Billy Joel or Queen or other bands who've had massively successful musicals based on their music. NIN simply doesn't have the mass appeal to bring the audience needed for a major Broadway production. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but it would have to really be a lighting in a bottle scenario for it to all the way to a Tony.

Aside from TR/AR writing original music for a totally new theatrical production, another option would be something like Watchmen or Soul getting a theatrical treatment. I don't think they'd be eligible for a Tony if it was just their existing music being used, but for something like that, it would make sense for them to be brought on board to expand on what they've already written. Like maybe there's a legit musical composer doing the heavy lifting, but Trent and Atticus are contributing enough to be eligible for an award.

eachpassingphase
09-19-2020, 01:37 PM
I always felt a teensy bit out of place among NIN fans as a teen because I was a theater dork and not the dangerous, dark and cool kid that I wanted to be when listening to this music.

But this thread shows me that i've been good company the whole time. Ya'll are fucking NERDS. :p

chuckrh
09-19-2020, 02:31 PM
On A Roll: The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Ashley O

As long as they get Miley to star in it!

laz001
09-19-2020, 03:08 PM
Honest question though - broadway is normally about songs that can be sung along to. All the West End shows i've been to - there's only a little bit of a 'background' score - and even if there is, it's very much performed by a live orchestra/band. Maybe i've not seen enough theatre.

Since 90% of TRARs score work has been the 'electronic' ambient type sound - does this work for theatre?

ltrandazzo
09-19-2020, 08:01 PM
Honest question though - broadway is normally about songs that can be sung along to. All the West End shows i've been to - there's only a little bit of a 'background' score - and even if there is, it's very much performed by a live orchestra/band. Maybe i've not seen enough theatre.

Since 90% of TRARs score work has been the 'electronic' ambient type sound - does this work for theatre?

https://youtu.be/yMLL23l79KU

allegro
09-19-2020, 09:41 PM

If someone ADAPTED some of their work for Broadway, then yes.

e.g. They got a CMA for Old Town Road.

AThousandDaysBefore
09-19-2020, 11:56 PM
when trent announced the backup singers for tension tour, I imagined something bizarre, crazy , but in the end the idea was amazing, Trent slapped my face and told me shut up, so maybe a musical cant be bad idea if Trent is happy with that.
I would prefer something instrumental and not that kind of broadway musical with everybody singing

paul_guyet
09-20-2020, 12:49 PM

Since 90% of TRARs score work has been the 'electronic' ambient type sound - does this work for theatre?If they simply write the music or lyrics or any aspect of a musical (doesn't have to be Broadway, could be off or off off), they would be considered for a Tony. So there's actually a lot of freedom here.

allegro
09-20-2020, 01:03 PM
That kind of thing might happen someday, but I doubt it would get enough attention to garner a Tony. NIN's fan base is only so big when compared to Billy Joel or Queen or other bands who've had massively successful musicals based on their music. NIN simply doesn't have the mass appeal to bring the audience needed for a major Broadway production. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but it would have to really be a lighting in a bottle scenario for it to all the way to a Tony.

Aside from TR/AR writing original music for a totally new theatrical production, another option would be something like Watchmen or Soul getting a theatrical treatment. I don't think they'd be eligible for a Tony if it was just their existing music being used, but for something like that, it would make sense for them to be brought on board to expand on what they've already written. Like maybe there's a legit musical composer doing the heavy lifting, but Trent and Atticus are contributing enough to be eligible for an award.

I was mostly being sarcastic. But, on the other hand, on Broadway, a narrative would be required; characters, dialogue, a script. There'd have to be a protagonist, a "journey" of sorts, a theme, and I was thinking along the lines of Cirque du Soleil meets Hamilton. The music wouldn't be the total focus, not the Beatles "Love" in Vegas, so much as bringing the TDS character to life, and underlying narrative and power-struggle, and then adapt the music in some "theater" way. With choreography, even. And circus performers and dancers, maybe in the audience, like Cats. :D

Weirder shit has won Tonys.

All this being said, some of these EGOT winners got Tonys and didn't perform or contribute artistically at all. They received honorary awards or were just "involved" in some way, via production ($$), etc.

Or, someone takes the Social Network movie and turns it into a play about what a dick Zuck is and uses some of the same music, adapted, and TR/AR do absolutely nothing, and it wins a Tony.

leo3375
09-20-2020, 05:03 PM
The Tonys aren't just musicals. They also cover plays. It's entirely possible that TR/AR could come up with a play or create a score for a play, such as last year's stage adaptation of To Kill a Mockingbird.

Remember, a lot of people thought Lin-Manuel Miranda was insane to come up with a hip-hop musical about America's first Treasury Secretary. Looked what happened with that. And a musical or play from TR/AR could be one of those things that, like Hamilton, is so crazy it works!

Toadflax
09-21-2020, 10:09 AM
Yeah, there are a number of surprising ways this could happen, but keep in mind Trent and Atticus aren't writers, so it's unlikely they would win in any category other than music (an exception could be something like Year Zero, where someone else writes it, but they get original story credit).

But yes, there is a Tony for Best Original Score, so it's not impossible that they could provide the score to a play without even having to be otherwise involved in its production. It could be as simple as someone they respect contacting them, TR/AR sending some music back, and voila, they win a Tony without doing anything beyond providing some tunes.

But then it becomes a question of them not running in theater circles, so there probably aren't a dozen theater people they're dying to work with like with film and television. But that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. They could get contacted by someone they've never heard of and decide to take it on, or someone they've worked with or respect in film could be working on a theatrical project and reach out to them.

And of course, all of this depends on, you know, theater existing again.

chuckrh
09-21-2020, 10:26 AM
I could see them wanting to work with the guy who worked with Bowie on Lazarus.

botley
09-21-2020, 11:46 AM
Yeah, there are a number of surprising ways this could happen, but keep in mind Trent and Atticus aren't writers, so it's unlikely they would win in any category other than music (an exception could be something like Year Zero, where someone else writes it, but they get original story credit).

But yes, there is a Tony for Best Original Score, so it's not impossible that they could provide the score to a play without even having to be otherwise involved in its production. It could be as simple as someone they respect contacting them, TR/AR sending some music back, and voila, they win a Tony without doing anything beyond providing some tunes.

But then it becomes a question of them not running in theater circles, so there probably aren't a dozen theater people they're dying to work with like with film and television. But that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. They could get contacted by someone they've never heard of and decide to take it on, or someone they've worked with or respect in film could be working on a theatrical project and reach out to them.

And of course, all of this depends on, you know, theater existing again.
Yes, all of this. Scott Rudin is the producer whose name springs immediately to mind; he's worked a lot with Fincher on his films and also does plenty of Broadway stuff. It looks to me as though the earliest we're going to see the Tony Awards return is in Year Zero itself, 2022.

allegro
09-21-2020, 12:16 PM
Yeah, there are a number of surprising ways this could happen, but keep in mind Trent and Atticus aren't writers, so it's unlikely they would win in any category other than music

Not true. There’s adaptation. Someone could take, say, TDS or YZ, turn it into a play. He still gets the Tony, even if he has nothing to do with the Broadway show.

Or, there’s investing. Putting money into a Broadway show also wins you a Tony if it wins a Tony.

Toadflax
09-21-2020, 12:32 PM
Not true. There’s adaptation. Someone could take, say, TDS or YZ, turn it into a play. He still gets the Tony, even if he has nothing to do with the Broadway show.

Yeah, I said that.

fillow
09-21-2020, 04:29 PM
Can they win if someone adapts Johnny Cash life to theater and it has Hurt in it?

_T_B_W_
09-21-2020, 06:06 PM
Dive And Slam: The Newest Number In STOMP

leo3375
09-21-2020, 07:33 PM
Can they win if someone adapts Johnny Cash life to theater and it has Hurt in it?

Only if they either were commissioned to create original music for it, or either financed or produced it. The Original Score award goes to music written specifically for the stage, so most songs in jukebox musicals don't qualify. The Best Orchestration award goes to arrangements and orchestration of the music. In other words, if TR/AR were tasked with converting the music to be played by an orchestra they could qualify. Then again, would Rosanne Cash and John Carter Cash want to have TR/AR do the music for a jukebox musical about their father?

allegate
09-21-2020, 10:01 PM
I mean, what you just described is basically the reverse of the American Recordings albums where instead of Johnny Cash doing other artist's songs you have TR/AR doing Johnny Cash songs. how do we bug the Cash family to get this going?

though if we get them doing a version of his cover of "Hurt" I'm pretty sure a singularity will be formed.

Shadaloo
09-21-2020, 10:29 PM
With Rent

Discobunny
09-23-2020, 01:55 AM
TRAR are hopefully on their way to an EGOT, but at least they have an EGGO right now! :LOL:

I think we can't limit our thinking as to what they might come up with for a theatre production, and its inspiring to see David Byrne and
others pave the way.

Trent has held critical acclaim for a long time, it's nice to finally see more of it bubble to the surface in recognition.

All I know is, if I ever become President, I promise I'll award them the Presidential Medal of Freedom and make a few calls to the Kennedy Center Honors committee.

onthewall2983
09-23-2020, 01:51 PM
There was talk awhile of Roger Waters and Harvey Weinstein (yeah, it was awhile ago) producing a version of The Wall for Broadway. I thought Trent would have made a perfect Pink, if he had to do as much acting as Geldof did for the movie.

Hazard
09-29-2020, 06:20 PM
If they ever did a Broadway version of Metropolis I think TRAR would be perfect to score it.
It's such an amazing movie. I saw it performed live with the Alloy Orchestra and it was heavily percussive, fit the movie perfectly. There are so many intense scenes and so much about machinery they could really do something incredible.

I mean I don't know if you can top the original, but updating it and placing it in a new medium like live performance could be really amazing.... Man I want to help write it and make this happen.

https://tenor.com/view/metropolis-gif-8003591

allegro
09-29-2020, 09:59 PM
Yeah, I said that.

A playwright can take a NIN song and use it as the “inspiration” for the basis of a play (not musical), even if the original material is nearly unrecognizable is what I meant.

You’re right, though, that none of this is very likely. It’d end up like Sting’s “The Last Ship.” Eek.

icklekitty
10-02-2020, 05:22 AM
The Tonys aren't just musicals. They also cover plays. It's entirely possible that TR/AR could come up with a play or create a score for a play, such as last year's stage adaptation of To Kill a Mockingbird.

Remember, a lot of people thought Lin-Manuel Miranda was insane to come up with a hip-hop musical about America's first Treasury Secretary. Looked what happened with that. And a musical or play from TR/AR could be one of those things that, like Hamilton, is so crazy it works!

See also what PJ Harvey did with All About Eve

snaapz
10-02-2020, 08:06 AM
My primary genre is alt rock/metal/grunge. My vinyl collection and Spotify playlists include various OSTs and composers, classical/chamber/baroque, jazz, country rock, pop, etc... I've even listened to traditional Iranian chants.... I like to think I am pretty open...

... but fucking musicals I cannot stand.

They are entertaining and all... but... ugh.

leo3375
10-02-2020, 06:52 PM
My primary genre is alt rock/metal/grunge. My vinyl collection and Spotify playlists include various OSTs and composers, classical/chamber/baroque, jazz, country rock, pop, etc... I've even listened to traditional Iranian chants.... I like to think I am pretty open...

Have you listened to Hamilton? It's a musical, but it has a lot of hip-hop and R&B in it. I've seen plenty of reaction videos on YouTube from people who don't generally like musicals say that they really enjoyed it.

WorzelG
10-03-2020, 12:29 AM

I started to watch La La Land because of all the hype and had to turn it off because the first song routine annoyed me so much! I’m totally with you on musicals but I’m convinced a TRAR scored Fight Club musical could work

fillow
10-03-2020, 05:57 AM
Just take some acid and go watch Cats. 100% Rob Sheridan-approved method to get into musicals.

chuckrh
10-03-2020, 08:05 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlmzUEQxOvA

chuckrh
02-05-2021, 04:40 AM
I'm thinking that there's some sort of chance that "Soul" will get the Broadway treatment. I realize that these things don't matter in the big picture (the music does!) but it would be pretty cool if Trent & Atticus reached the EGOT milestone just to show what a diverse talent they have. I think Bowie would be proud of them if he was still with us. I think teaming up with Jon Batiste was pretty cool, too & very successful. Batiste is another super talented guy & the pairing up worked well. DISCLAIMER: I'm not a fan of Broadway musicals with very few exceptions. I did enjoy the "Soul" film though & think that maybe it could be adapted into something worthwhile in that medium.