PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galactica

slave2thewage
01-09-2012, 11:20 AM
I'm rewatching this again and thought we should have a thread about this amazingness.

Tyrol still pisses me off. Ugh.

Mech
01-09-2012, 12:20 PM
My gf is interested somewhat in watching it, so we'll see how long it goes!

Has there been any new news on the Blood and Chrome series? Is it still in development? Did they axe the idea?

Deadpool
01-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Wow, I almost forgot about Blood & Chrome - I hope it hasn't died.

My brother recently shared this awesome "Portlandia" bit with me (note the top comment from Bear McCreary himself!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQttrkzWOo4&feature=share

Also, less flattering and funny, but still very well done: BSG as an old-school RPG.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6683770/battlestar-galactica-rpg

And, yes, Battlestar Galactica is my all-time favorite TV show. Love Tyrol (freaked out when I met Aaron Douglas at Comic-Con), but I think Poppa 'Dama and Baltar will always be my favorites. However, Helo rocks my world, Hotdog is my hero, and nearly every other character has a place in my heart... except Roslyn. I hate her so much towards the second half of the series. Mary McDonnell is amazing, but my Gods does Roslyn piss me off sometimes.

slave2thewage
01-09-2012, 09:03 PM
Decision on "Blood and Chrome" is probably coming next month. (http://trekweb.com/articles/2011/12/17/Doug-Drexler-Gives-an-Update-on-Battlestar-Galactica-Blood-and-Chrome-TV-Series.shtml)

bobbie solo
01-10-2012, 03:35 AM
stop watching at some point during season three, for your own sake. whenever you start to feel it starting to suck, just stop watching. And def. do NOT go all the way to the finale. i know you will probably ignore me, but prepare to get pissed off and insulted. Huge downward spiral over the course of this show.

Mech
01-10-2012, 08:46 AM
stop watching at some point during season three, for your own sake. whenever you start to feel it starting to suck, just stop watching. And def. do NOT go all the way to the finale. i know you will probably ignore me, but prepare to get pissed off and insulted. Huge downward spiral over the course of this show.

If you're talking to me, I've already seen it, but wanted the gf to see it, too. I would disagree, though. While I agree that season 3 had some slow points, I really enjoyed season 4 and I thought the ending, although maybe somewhat abrupt, it was satisfying.

I would never tell someone to stop watching BSG partway through, but would encourage them to make it through the slow parts!

slave2thewage
01-10-2012, 10:53 AM
And def. do NOT go all the way to the finale. i know you will probably ignore me, but prepare to get pissed off and insulted.
HDU, the finale is amazing. I was sobbing like a bitch for the last twenty minutes.

Alexandros
01-10-2012, 01:25 PM
I enjoyed it all the way through (it remains one of my favourite tv shows ever), despite a few less than great moments. But come on, the finale was insulting. It's not that it was not effective, since you were saying goodbye to characters you knew and loved for 4 seasons, but that's just about all you can say about it. They had made a mess of things, didn't know how to wrap up and basically went the Lost route and based it all on emotional impact and little sense. And that's all I'm going to say without a spoiler tag.

For a series that prided itself (and usually rightfully so) for inserting interesting points of philosophical, political, social, spiritual and religious debate in a sci-fi drama, prompting the viewer to contemplate on the grey areas, the finale was disappointingly one-sided: "You know what, fuck the debate, it was God, or a higher power or something, all the way through. And God's little angels running around making things happen". That was a big FUCK YOU to all the viewers who were waiting several loose ends to be resolved and at least a semi-rational explanation be given. I would not mind the presence of a supernatural element, but here we had complete supernatural domination.

Alexandros
03-22-2012, 04:55 AM
Trailer for Blood and Chrome (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=88245)

I find it a bit lame that they used Trent's Immigrant Song and fast editing in an apparent immitation of the trailer of TGWTDT, but otherwise it looks ok.

profane
03-22-2012, 05:50 AM
http://www.airlockalpha.com/node/9022/syfy-officially-fraks-blood-chrome-out-of-series-pickup.html

Mech
03-22-2012, 07:54 AM
Pretty lame they are not putting this on TV. The trailer looked good and exciting, even if it was fast cut, the content looked good. I definitely hope the online series or if they do put it on TV during December or something, that it gets a higher viewer rating and something comes of it!! They have some crap on SyFy right now, and don't see how this couldn't replace Lost Girl or some shit like that.

NIN64
03-22-2012, 08:08 AM
Sci-Fi, or "syfy", or syphilis, or what ever they are calling their network these days doesn't have any room on their schedule for something that looks this good. They are all full up with wrestling, and shitty shows that nobody watches. . .

harrismonkey
03-22-2012, 09:48 AM

We tried to watch the full series.

The pilot was amazing. The first season and a half wasn't quite as good, but still amazing and as addictive as crack. Sometimes we'd watch two episodes in a night. We couldn't stop.

Somewhere around halfway through season two we started enjoying the show less. By the time we were knee deep into season three we were forcing ourselves to watch it. At some point in season three we finally just gave up. I think the one where they're all boxing for some reason was one of the last ones we saw.

That and my wife read ahead (she does this all the time) and was horrified at how the show ended.

harrismonkey
03-22-2012, 09:51 AM
Trailer for Blood and Chrome (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=88245)

I find it a bit lame that they used Trent's Immigrant Song and fast editing in an apparent immitation of the trailer of TGWTDT, but otherwise it looks ok.

That looked pretty cool. Assuming SYFY does air the pilot (as the article claims they will), I may have to watch it.

Deus Ex Machina
03-22-2012, 11:32 AM
HDU, the finale is amazing. I was sobbing like a bitch for the last twenty minutes.

I'll freely admit to being in this camp. The 'robot montage' and exposition from Six and Baltar in Times Square was unnecessary. But as for the rest. Amazing. I was disappointed with the invocation of the supernatural at first . . then I watched the series a second time: They flat out tell you, over and over again, that God is involved and that Season 4 Kara, Head Six, and Head Baltar are angels.

kdrcraig
03-22-2012, 12:53 PM
I just started watching this series after my sister and brother in law have been bugging me to do it for a couple years. I'm a little over half way through the first season and I'm having trouble getting into it. Some episodes are cool but some I just haven't liked at all. And for some reason number 6 being in that scientists'(Gaius?) head is annoying the hell out of me. Does it get progressively better as it goes or should I just give up now if I don't really like the first season?

harrismonkey
03-22-2012, 01:47 PM
I just started watching this series after my sister and brother in law have been bugging me to do it for a couple years. I'm a little over half way through the first season and I'm having trouble getting into it. Some episodes are cool but some I just haven't liked at all. And for some reason number 6 being in that scientists'(Gaius?) head is annoying the hell out of me. Does it get progressively better as it goes or should I just give up now if I don't really like the first season?

Gaius and 6 grew on me. That was my least favorite thing for a while. But I really thought the first season and about halfway into the second season was the best stuff. There's definitely a point in the second season where it starts going downhill. Supposedly things start to improve in the 4th season, but my wife and I gave up in the 3rd season. (we LOVED the first season though)

NotoriousTIMP
11-06-2012, 01:57 AM
YES YES YES YES!!!!!!

Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome is finally coming out!!!!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/11/05/battlestar-galactica-prequel-blood-and-chrome-premiere_n_2079219.html

Fixer808
11-06-2012, 02:13 AM
Fuck YEAH it does!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=Qj50xJhWdcM

Mech
11-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Awesome!!! Sucks it will only be 10-12 minute doses at a time, but hey, better than nothing right?

darktemplar007
11-06-2012, 12:45 PM
I just started watching this last night, killed the pilot in one sitting. Loving it so far, I know absolutely nothing about it other than what I have seen in the first episode, so i am going in dark. Excited to see where it goes.

Fixer808
11-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Good idea! That's how I did it, and that's how I'm doing Fringe! Totally cold.

orestes
11-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Me too, although I wouldn't suggest plowing through all seasons in like a month's time. :p

orestes
11-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Just watched the first episode of Blood and Chrome- too much lens flare.

ltrandazzo
11-11-2012, 11:56 AM
Not enough lens flare.

I really dug it, especially hearing the good ol' Bear McCreary percussion and all. It's interesting to see the differences between young Adama and who he ends up becoming later on. The action was great as well. Definitely going to pick up the Blu Ray for this as long as the rest of the series stays on par with the first episode.

orestes
11-11-2012, 12:33 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m56bj9vmqn1r0fdrdo1_250.gif

Fixer808
11-13-2012, 03:39 PM
Watching the news about the Canadian oilfields/oilsands, and they're talking about the process used to unlock the oil from the rock around the drill, and it always makes me chuckle. It's called "fracking".

sentient02970
11-13-2012, 03:52 PM
Get the frack out of here with that!

Fixer808
11-14-2012, 03:37 AM
Just finished episode 2 of "B and C"... just gonna go ahead and tuck my penis back into my pants here...

Mech
11-14-2012, 09:45 AM
It's been pretty awesome. Just like BSG. Ahhh, just wish I got it in doses longer than 10 min!

Magtig
11-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Just watched the first episode of Blood and Chrome- too much lens flare.
And too much camera shake. Do we really need Jason Bourne style camera work when people are having a conversation in a stable setting? They're trying to be gritty lo-fi and super stylized at the same time. The camera work and way overdone color grading is actually quite awful, aesthetically. It reminds me of Glamour Shots (http://www.meg-moir.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/gs2.jpg).

Aesthetics aside I want to like B & C, but it lacks the socially relevant scripts and acting prowess of the (new) old BSG. This is the heavy metal themed video game version and it blows.