PDA

View Full Version : Who was the greatest British rock band of all-time? If you could only pick one?

GulDukat
06-19-2020, 07:34 AM
The band members had to all be British.
The band had to be static, within reason.
The band had to be active for a period of no less than five years.
As a measure of cultural significance, at its peak, the band would have had to have been able to fill Madison Square Garden (even if they never did).
No solo acts.
The band has to play something that could, at some point between 1950 and 2015, have been called, with a straight face, "rock & roll."

IMHO--there are really only three major contenders. As much as I love Sabbath, Pink Floyd and Queen, the choices are, (again, IMHO):

The Beatles
Led Zeppelin
The Rolling Stones

And it has to be The Beatles

Lerxto
06-19-2020, 07:41 AM
Honestly, even though it doesn't really fit your first description, the greatest British band always was, and is King Crimson.

ton
06-19-2020, 08:34 AM
Beatles changed the course of pop culture and popular music, so I would naturally have to say them. My favorite classic British bands though are Pink Floyd and the Rolling Stones.

Krazy
06-19-2020, 09:49 AM
Best music/most talented, and my vote: Pink Floyd

Rolling Stones gets a nod for longevity.
Beatles for influence and pop culture relevance.

theimage13
06-19-2020, 10:08 AM
nine inch nails ftw

imail724
06-19-2020, 12:33 PM
I feel like this discussion is a lot more clear-cut than the American bands one. It's The Beatles. It has to be. Doesn't mean there aren't other incredible bands to come out of Great Britain, but come on. Open and shut case.

botley
06-19-2020, 12:34 PM
I feel like this discussion is a lot more clear-cut than the American bands one. It's The Beatles. It has to be. Doesn't mean there aren't other incredible bands to come out of Great Britain, but come on. Open and shut case.

Nah. Stones.

allegro
06-19-2020, 12:48 PM
Beatles

Sarah_Munn
06-19-2020, 01:58 PM
Queen. I'd argue that they replaced The Beatles in the hearts of the British people long ago. I also loathe Paul McCartney so I've got to go with Queen. It's not that I don't recognise what the Beatles did, they have some eternal songs, and the other band members are/were amazing. I just can't get past that smug, lecturing bastard. (Also fucking Wings)

GulDukat
06-20-2020, 07:02 AM
A more interesting topic might have been not including The Rolling Stones and The Beatles. There isn't much to be said with those bands on the table.
Okay, then I'd go with Led Zeppelin. My list would probably be:

1. The Beatles
2. Led Zeppelin
3. The Rolling Stones

paul_is_dead
06-20-2020, 11:23 AM
The Rolling Stones have been the most influential when it comes to live performances.

talkingnothing
06-25-2020, 03:48 PM
I often respond the the question: Beatles or Stones? with .... The Kinks. Even though really my answer is the Beatles. When comparing the output of those up through 1970 only, to me the Kinks can hang with the Beatles, but the stones lag behind. The Stones maybe had higher highs than the Kinks, but i find their 60 albums to have a much higher rate of filler. It becomes harder to compare them for me once the Beatles dissolve and the Stones hit their stride for their unimpeachable run from 68-73 (yeah i include Goats Head Soup). But really, if you haven't, treat yourself to every Kinks album up through Everybody's in Showbiz, plus all the singles and b-sides, truly a great run with albums chock full of absolutely killer pop music of the era. I have all the deluxe editions of that stuff and have re-compiled into albums and single/b-side collections kind of like Past Masters with the Beatles.

Impossible for me to really answer the question but i'd say in my top tier i have:
the Beatles, the Kinks, Zeppelin, Radiohead, and Bowie (not a band i guess)

then in the next tier would be:
the Stones, Faces, the Police, Elvis Costello (also, not a band)

followed by other notables:
Pink Floyd, Queen, the Clash, Cream, the Who

lastly, one of my all time favorite bands that may ruin my credibility with others: Kula Shaker - fucking love them, even their material post 2005 comeback. They have probably 2 albums worth of b-sides that are just great. I think if you can look past their heavy indian influence early stuff and some of the cringy early lyrics, they made some of the best psych rock of the last 25 years.