PDA

View Full Version : 3 releases on an island - an experiment

Qualis_Dolor
06-14-2020, 06:49 PM
[Suprised I didn't find a thread like this.]

https://cdn.pixabay.com/photo/2016/03/28/09/33/island-1285147_1280.jpg

You are placed on a small, single island. You are the only human being there. No chance to return. You'll be there forever. (Yay.) Through completely surreal and unnatural circumstances - that do not matter at all -, you are allowed to wish for 3 (already existent) releases of music.

Audio equipment variable/of your chosing. They don't need to be studio albums - they can be anything: remix album, live album, compilation, single, whatever. Yet box sets, overly long, ambiguous stuff is forbidden. Note: these don't have to be your favorites; really imagine yourself in that scenario, only being able to listen to these 3, ad infinitum.

Covers and longer explanations wanted.

Example

Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Eight Machine
Nine Inch Nails - Broken
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral

Obviously The Nine Inch Nails are the best band ever and I only ever listen to them. Though I only like the first 3 main releases, like, obviously. Easy choice. Get rekt.

eversonpoe
06-14-2020, 11:07 PM
i started a thread not that long ago that's meant to list one's 5 most listened-to albums so i'm pulling from my list of those for this:

telefon tel aviv • fahrenheit fair enough
nin • ghosts i-iv
the cinematic orchestra • every day

brotha52
06-14-2020, 11:22 PM
Darkside of the Moon
OK Computer
All Eyez on Me

versusreality
06-15-2020, 06:07 AM
Final- Solaris
Oophoi- The Spirals of Time
The Verve- A Storm in Heaven

Archive_Reports
06-15-2020, 07:18 AM
Tesseract - One
Poison the Well - Versions
Deftones - Deftones

It definitely varies depending on my mood, but I would say these are probably my three favorite albums. They all skew towards heavy, but are interesting and have a ton of melody to give it some variety.

Soma
06-15-2020, 02:14 PM
David Bowie - Hunky Dory
This was one of the last records I came around to as I was diving deeper into Bowie's career. There are obvious classics like Changes, Life On Mars + Queen Bitch, but as a whole this is one of his most flawless efforts.

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
If I could only bring 1, this would be my choice!

Rolling Stones - Hot Rocks
One of the best 'greatest hits' compilations IMO. This one almost made my list for '5 Albums Most Listened To'

ManBurning
06-15-2020, 03:25 PM
Wow, on a NIN board, nobody other than eversonpoe is choosing NIN as one of their 3 choices??? Kinda shocked TBH.

Hard choice to narrow it down to 3. The Fragile would be one of them.
Unsure what the other 2 would be... I'll have to come back to this.

theimage13
06-15-2020, 03:27 PM
Vinyl. Any three albums, as long as it's vinyl and I get the equipment to play it with.

Because I'm going to swim out into the ocean, prick my finger with the needle, and just let the sharks get me. A life with only three albums is not a life I want to live.

neorev
06-15-2020, 03:57 PM
The Prodigy - The Fat Of The Land
The Chemical Brothers - Surrender
Underworld - Second Toughest In The Infants

wight rabbit
06-15-2020, 04:09 PM
Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile
SUMAC - The Deal
Chelsea Wolfe - Hiss Spun

This is tough!

Example

Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Eight Machine
Nine Inch Nails - Broken

Obviously The Nine Inch Nails are the best band ever and I only ever listen to them. Though I only like the first 3 main releases, like, obviously. Easy choice. Get rekt.

Hold up... Pretty EIGHT Machine???

Jinsai
06-15-2020, 04:25 PM
Wow, on a NIN board, nobody other than @eversonpoe (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=588) is choosing NIN as one of their 3 choices??? Kinda shocked TBH.

Eh, I feel like I've heard it enough, and that goes for most of the stuff that I've overplayed. It's part of the problem for me with this hypothetical, I guess I'd wanna pick some things that I like but haven't played to death.

eversonpoe
06-15-2020, 04:33 PM
SUMAC - The Deal

This is tough!

good choices!

also, pretty eight machine is a chiptune reinterpretation of pretty hate machine that was done by one of our board members, InversePhase

theimage13
06-15-2020, 04:35 PM
SUMAC - The Deal

This is tough!

Yeah. It's the British release.

wight rabbit
06-15-2020, 04:36 PM
good choices!

also, pretty eight machine is a chiptune reinterpretation of pretty hate machine that was done by one of our board members, @InversePhase (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1417)

Thanks!

Oh, that's right! I forgot about that one...

GulDukat
06-16-2020, 02:44 PM
I thought people made a list of ten desert island discs.

Anyway:

Singles soundtrack
Frank Sinatra: Best of the Best
Soundgarden- Superunknown

dlb
06-16-2020, 03:03 PM
Wow, difficult to choose as I actually wouldn't list my most favorite albums.

Nine Inch Nails - the fragile (quite hard to name a NIN record but I think TF has the most replay value for me)
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - BRMC
Mark Lanegan - blues funeral

On the other hand I might choose my live compilation that I have for NIN, BRMC and a great bootleg of Lanegan over a specific studio recording.

Patrick_Nicholas
06-17-2020, 10:32 PM
Tough one:

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
Opeth - Blackwater Park

Tiger_Stealth
04-05-2023, 09:41 PM
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Type O Negative - October Rust

GulDukat
04-05-2023, 09:50 PM
Nine Inch Nails- The Fragile
Van Halen- Van Halen
Guns N' Roses- Use Your Illusion

armogi
04-05-2023, 10:35 PM
Nin the fragile
u2 achtung baby
nirvana in utero

burnmotherfucker!
04-05-2023, 11:00 PM
Low
Disintegration
Nevermind

Zur En Arrh
04-08-2023, 10:23 AM
Yoshimi battles the pink robots -the flaming lips
White pony - deftones.
Remain in light -talking heads.

Jon
04-09-2023, 05:43 AM
Aphex Twin — Selected Ambient Works Volume II
Miles Davis — Bitches Brew (if I could do box sets this would have been The Complete In A Silent Way Sessions)
Grateful Dead — 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY (speed-corrected version; I'd have to split this from a box set)

If that Grateful Dead release isn't acceptable, then the 1971 (Skull & Roses) live self-titled release (not the first studio album).

Zur En Arrh
04-10-2023, 09:35 AM
Aphex Twin — Selected Ambient Works Volume II
Miles Davis — Bitches Brew (if I could do box sets this would have been The Complete In A Silent Way Sessions)
Grateful Dead — 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY (speed-corrected version; I'd have to split this from a box set)

If that Grateful Dead release isn't acceptable, then the 1971 (Skull & Roses) live self-titled release (not the first studio album).

Bitches brew almost made my list. If it were five albums it would be there...cheers!

elevenism
04-10-2023, 11:41 AM
Oh dear god...

FOREVER?

I'd go

OutKast-Aquemini
Boards of Canada-The Campfire Headphase
Seal-Seal (the first one)

botley
04-10-2023, 01:53 PM
Gary Numan — Dance (the remastered one with the bonus tracks)
King Crimson — Larks' Tongues in Aspic (Steven Wilson remix)
Rolling Stones — El Mocambo 1977 (the official live release)

Tiger_Stealth
04-10-2023, 04:35 PM
Oh dear god...

FOREVER?

I'd go

OutKast-Aquemini
Boards of Canada-The Campfire Headphase
Seal-Seal (the first one)

The Campfire Headphase and Music Has The Right To Children were honorable mentions for this question for me.

elevenism
04-10-2023, 07:59 PM
Is it cheating if I do And All That Ever Was by...NIN, compiled by...goddamnit, I can never remember dude's username,

Best of Bowie (the longer one),

Rush: Chronicles or Different Stages?

I mean, people said TF. Why can't I have a 3 disc rush thing, or a 7 disc NIN thing?

burnmotherfucker!
04-11-2023, 12:55 AM
Man, now you guys have me rethinking this.

At first my reasoning was that if I'm trapped there forever, then any three albums I pick I am going to have memorized and get tired of, it's just inevitable. So I went with the three albums that came to mind when I asked myself which albums I can't see myself never listening to again. Hence Disintegration, Nevermind, and Low.

But picks like SAW II and Boards of Canada are genius. Rhubarb and Stone in Focus are going to come in handy if isolated on an island until the end of time.

But the thing is, which of my three do I remove? Can't be Low. Can't be Disintegration. Can't be Nevermind. And so I'm right back with the same three.

elevenism
04-11-2023, 09:34 AM
NotinCnStopMeNow

THIS cat is a fucking unsung hero of the ninternets.

I downloaded his 7 disc "And All That Ever Was," in the YZ days.

That's one of my desert island albums, and big ups to the cat who created it.

elevenism
04-11-2023, 09:52 AM
Man, now you guys have me rethinking this.

At first my reasoning was that if I'm trapped there forever, then any three albums I pick I am going to have memorized and get tired of, it's just inevitable. So I went with the three albums that came to mind when I asked myself which albums I can't see myself never listening to again. Hence Disintegration, Nevermind, and Low.

But picks like SAW II and Boards of Canada are genius. Rhubarb and Stone in Focus are going to come in handy if isolated on an island until the end of time.

But the thing is, which of my three do I remove? Can't be Low. Can't be Disintegration. Can't be Nevermind. And so I'm right back with the same three.

Nevermind? Seriously?

Idk. I LOVE Nevermind...but, i mean, what about In Utero? How about Incesticide?

I'm not trying to be an elitist, but, all the other Nirvana records sound more Nirvana-ish than Nevermind, to me, in hindsight.

Also, you gotta go for length.
But idk.

So deep in your room, you never leave your room.

I LOOOOOOVE that record, and me and my Irish Twin brother were bumping it loud as fuck in the nineties, driving around.

But, what about Heathen? Outside?

What if i could put the whole Led Zep on one disc, and...yeah...i guess i'm cheating.

botley
04-11-2023, 10:08 AM
@NotinCnStopMeNow (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=339)

I love it too (and all the ones he's done since, including the one that just dropped from last year's tour), but it's sort of outside the OP's remit. If I had to gear up for this desert island trip, I could just walk into a well stocked record store and get my three picks off the shelf.

Re: Led Zeppelin you could do a lot worse than this if you wanted to keep it to three discs: https://www.discogs.com/release/5742799-Led-Zeppelin-Led-Zeppelin

SchwarzerAbt
04-11-2023, 04:19 PM
Priorities should be length and diversity. So:

1) The Magnetic Fields - 69 Lobe Songs
2) HEALTH - DISCO4 :: GENERATIONS
3) Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile

NotinCnStopMeNow
04-11-2023, 04:35 PM
@NotinCnStopMeNow (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=339)

Your welcome. The one I just made for the 2022 tour is pretty good too

burnmotherfucker!
04-12-2023, 02:22 AM
Nevermind? Seriously?

Idk. I LOVE Nevermind...but, i mean, what about In Utero? How about Incesticide?

I'm not trying to be an elitist, but, all the other Nirvana records sound more Nirvana-ish than Nevermind, to me, in hindsight.

Also, you gotta go for length.
But idk.

So deep in your room, you never leave your room.

I LOOOOOOVE that record, and me and my Irish Twin brother were bumping it loud as fuck in the nineties, driving around.

But, what about Heathen? Outside?

What if i could put the whole Led Zep on one disc, and...yeah...i guess i'm cheating.

Yes, Nevermind. I concede In Utero and Incesticide sound more like live Nirvana than Nevermind does. I'm also aware it isn't the cool pick. I know Kurt himself came to dislike the polished production of it and he pretty much convinced his own fan base to go along with it. But I don't care. I love Steve Albini's work on In Utero and what he did with the Pixies and the Breeders, but Vig just knocked it out of the park with Nevermind's sound imo. Yeah, I love Sliver and Aneurysm. Tourette's into All Apologies is as good a way to close an album as there is. But Nevermind is front to back one of the best rock records ever to me. It's got the best songs.

Going for length seems to be the consensus around here. But I think I disagree. Think about it. With only three albums for the rest of your life, no matter how long they are you are going to have them burned into your brain. Hell, I put around 1000 tracks on the usb in my car a few weeks ago and I'm already tired of everything on it and ready to wipe it and throw 1000 more on there. That's just how it works.

So my picks are at least records I know I can still enjoy after they are burned into my memory.

And I may not have S.A.W. II to chill out to. But with Low, I can always just put Warszawa-Subterraneans on a loop for weeks at a time. lol

If I had Outside, Blackstar, Earthling, Heathen, or Ziggy I still probably wouldn't complain. But with Nevermind and Disintegration in my rotation, I'm going to need Sound and Vision for the happier vibes. And for those weird time delayed drum sound thingy's.