PDA

View Full Version : Atticus did the music in an ad for the US Army

tony.parente
04-22-2020, 11:31 AM
Looks like they did a score for a US army ad campaign.

https://connectingvets.radio.com/articles/nine-inch-nail-army-recruiting-commercial

Link to the video:
https://mobile.twitter.com/USArmy/status/1252314925764153344?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1252314925764153344&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.military.com%2Fdaily-news%2F2020%2F04%2F20%2Farmy-enlists-nine-inch-nails-new-coronavirus-themed-recruiting-video.html

BRoswell
04-22-2020, 11:39 AM
Looks like it was just Atticus, but it still makes me pretty uncomfortable to see something like this. Last thing I want is for Trent & Atticus to be shilling for the fucking US Army.

bobbie solo
04-23-2020, 02:14 AM
I assume the argument for this would be that it's strictly CV related. I get that, but wouldn't it better to just avoid the whole thing? It's not like he needs the $. Maybe he donated his profits or something. That would sit easier for sure.

katara
04-23-2020, 03:50 AM
Whatever happened to Art Is Resistance?

fillow
04-23-2020, 04:31 AM
https://i.imgur.com/NBUQvyX.png

WorzelG
04-23-2020, 05:35 AM
We live in a topsy turvy world where the actual president is advocating civil unrest with Liberate tweets. I don’t think left /right binaries or any of the old anti government shit really applies anymore

botley
04-23-2020, 03:43 PM
We live in a topsy turvy world where the actual president is advocating civil unrest with Liberate tweets. I don’t think left /right binaries or any of the old anti government shit really applies anymore

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/apr/02/zero-accountability-us-accused-of-failure-to-report-civilian-deaths-in-africa

(https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/apr/02/zero-accountability-us-accused-of-failure-to-report-civilian-deaths-in-africa)https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/01/strike-targeting-taliban-commander-civilian-casualties-200109165736421.html

https://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/stories/2017-01-01/drone-wars-the-full-data

Yeah, I'm aware this is a different part of the military than the first responders being brought in to help with the COVID-19 crisis.

But it's the same fucking organization.

otnavuskire
04-23-2020, 04:05 PM
Perhaps the title of this thread could be changed, since it was just Atticus?

zecho
04-23-2020, 05:16 PM
The US military used Nine Inch Nails songs to torture PoWs during the Iraq War. I guess they decided to skip the middleman this time around and just commission music straight from the musicians.

BRoswell
04-23-2020, 05:22 PM
The US military used Nine Inch Nails songs to torture PoWs during the Iraq War. I guess they decided to skip the middleman this time around and just commission music straight from the musicians.

That's precisely why it bothers me. Even during a crisis like this, why would you want to do work for an organization that would use your music in such a grotesque manner?

tony.parente
04-23-2020, 08:20 PM
Haha sneaky mod title edit. I see you.

implanted_microchip
04-23-2020, 08:28 PM
Either you’re anti-imperialism or you aren’t. Helping promote the US military, especially in the era of Trump, who the boys have made very clear their hatred of, is at best tone deaf. It’s one thing to advocate for actual service members and veterans but to promote the institution itself is gross. With how things like Year Zero and Less Than have criticized the military and how it’s used as a tool of dehumanization and oppression it’s just baffling that someone so closely involved would take this gig.

Magnetic
04-23-2020, 09:01 PM
When I read this, my face scrunched up in "WTF" mode. There are a ton of other ways to support COVID-19 efforts...I really don't get this.
The whole thing just reeks of shit here.

katara
04-24-2020, 05:03 AM
At this point, I know I’m not entitled to such a thing, but I’d really love to hear an explanation of how this came about.
Especially as TR&AR probably get score requests constantly. They're Oscar winners, after all. They can pick and choose what they want. So, this was definitely something that he wanted to do. Very interesting.

chuckrh
04-24-2020, 05:58 AM
On something of a similar note: While I am decidedly not a fan of the band Chicago, when they first came out they were very political & anti Vietnam war. I noticed that "25 or 6 to 4" is being used in a full on army recruiting ad. Times sure have changed. I'm sure Terry Kath is spinning in his grave.

Leviathant
04-24-2020, 08:53 AM
Just a guess, but this seems like a favor for a friend. Do we know who directed the clip?

I'm particularly uncomfortable with news organizations running the headlines about Nine Inch Nails doing music for Army advertisements. Bleh.
Edit: Looks like Military.com changed their headline to say "Nine Inch Nails Member" - it was more ambiguous when I posted it on the Hotline a few days ago.

Sequenteon
04-24-2020, 12:02 PM
Certainly a strange move.

allegate
04-24-2020, 02:57 PM
*sits on hands*

Max
05-10-2020, 02:00 PM
Have a little more faith in Trent and Atticus. A recent addition to the article says:

"Update: Connecting Vets received a statement from a spokeswoman that, "contrary to previous reports regarding the music created for the Army's "Unbelievable" video, Barking Owl music company is responsible for the production of the music. Apparently Atticus Ross is a composer at Barking Owl and is also associated with Nine Inch Nails."

So i don't take that as him doing it. He may have had nothing to do with it.

eversonpoe
05-11-2020, 09:55 AM
Have a little more faith in Trent and Atticus. A recent addition to the article says:

"Update: Connecting Vets received a statement from a spokeswoman that, "contrary to previous reports regarding the music created for the Army's "Unbelievable" video, Barking Owl music company is responsible for the production of the music. Apparently Atticus Ross is a composer at Barking Owl and is also associated with Nine Inch Nails."

So i don't take that as him doing it. He may have had nothing to do with it.

the spread of misinformation like wildfire on the internet never fails to amaze me.

why on earth would the report state that atticus created the music if there was no official credit regarding it???

Leviathant
05-11-2020, 12:33 PM
It kind of sounds like doublespeak to me. I imagine things went something like this:
Filmmaker gets a gig doing commercials for the Army and has some budget. Reaches out to Atticus Ross, who does the music. Business is managed through Barking Owl, because Atticus' time is best spent composing, not going over contracts and terms. Commercial comes out, and filmmaker excitedly talks to Military press about it, mentions that he's stoked to work with Atticus Ross, who does a lot of film score, but is also a member of Nine Inch Nails.

Military.com: ARMY ENLISTS NINE INCH NAILS FOR NEW RECRUITING AD

connectingvets.radio.com, quoting Military.com: "Nine Inch Nails records track for Army ad campaign"

Trent Reznor: Uhhhhhhhhh *speed-dials his manager*

Military.com "ARMY ENLISTS NINE INCH NAILS MEMBER FOR NEW RECRUITING AD"

connectingvets.radio.com: "So I guess Barking Owl did the music, but also Atticus Ross is part of Barking Owl, so..."

I don't know any of the other composers at Barking Owl - do they do filter sweeps over a wall of guitars playing atop atmospheric synth pads, or is that just Atticus Ross?

paul_guyet
05-13-2020, 04:20 PM
Another possibility is that Barking Owl is like Pond5 or Needle Drop, where artists make and submit music to the service and that's the extent of their involvement. Clients or agencies browse that company's directory for music that works for their piece then license it. The artist gets a check.
This piece of music could have been a leftover from anything that he just sent in to Barking Owl at any point.

BJM
05-14-2020, 10:43 AM
Would this be https://www.barkingowlsound.com/ ?

See also: https://www.facebook.com/barkingowlsound/posts/this-stunning-piece-directed-by-john-hillcoat-features-original-music-sound-desi/10156930033842178/

And also: https://www.shootonline.com/news/barking-owl-boards-bus-tops-music-chart

Max
06-04-2020, 10:41 AM
Do we have any more answers about this? I just have to believe That Atticus would never knowingly do music for US military recruitment. Seems like something they would be totally against especially after working on Ken Burns documentary.

I really want to hear someone from the NIN camp call this out as bullshit.

botley
06-05-2020, 11:03 AM
Do we have any more answers about this? I just have to believe That Atticus would never knowingly do music for US military recruitment. Seems like something they would be totally against especially after working on Ken Burns documentary.

I really want to hear someone from the NIN camp call this out as bullshit.
I do too... asked them on Twitter about it when NIN posted a fucking black square (thanks, I hate it) for #theshowmustbepaused on Tuesday and, of course, got no response from them.

botley
06-06-2020, 08:25 PM
... why is this a bad thing?
It's lazy, trite "clicktivism" — they could have directed their followers to productive means of supporting the movement (like NIN has done in the past) instead of, er, nothing at all. But understand that I don't think that's inherently "bad", just disappointing, compared to what they've done with their online platforms in the past.

Back on topic, anyway — I don't mean this to derail talking about other things the military does that are actually bad, some having nothing to do with anti-Black racism.

botley
06-07-2020, 08:14 AM
Is that the same as the 'virtue signalling' someone was talking about in the Manson thread?

Jesus fucking Christmas, thanks for reminding me to never go in that thread. I HOPE that both TR and AR made sizeable donations this week, and set up recurring ones too. Would be nice to know for sure but at least that's what I'm assuming they did. Be even better if they could get 5% of their followers on social media to do the same.

Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell)
06-07-2020, 01:12 PM
Trent and Atticus gladly accepted 7 figure money from Pixar despite its bad history. I don't understand why people are so shocked and outraged that Atticus accepted money from the US military. I think we know by now most celebs can have a "cause" all they want but when the big money gets offered up, the cause goes out the window. Same reason Mr liberal anti capitalist Tom Morello and Zach de la Rocha gladly accepted 7 figures to play Coachella even though the dude who runs it is alt right. Money is the true daddy of all rich famous actors/musicians....

WorzelG
06-08-2020, 05:30 AM
Trent and Atticus gladly accepted 7 figure money from Pixar despite its bad history. I don't understand why people are so shocked and outraged that Atticus accepted money from the US military. I think we know by now most celebs can have a "cause" all they want but when the big money gets offered up, the cause goes out the window. Same reason Mr liberal anti capitalist Tom Morello and Zach de la Rocha gladly accepted 7 figures to play Coachella even though the dude who runs it is alt right. Money is the true daddy of all rich famous actors/musicians....
What’s Pixar done?

tricil
06-08-2020, 06:20 AM
What’s Pixar done?

Made me cry a few times.

halo eighteen
06-08-2020, 06:22 AM
Same reason Mr liberal anti capitalist Tom Morello and Zach de la Rocha gladly accepted 7 figures to play Coachella even though the dude who runs it is alt right. Money is the true daddy of all rich famous actors/musicians....

I wish this misinformation would stop. It's not cute, and it's clear people just read headlines and click bait bullshit instead of actually educating themselves on the matter.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jan/14/coachella-founders-tough-truth-liberal-fans-most-b/ (https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jan/14/coachella-founders-tough-truth-liberal-fans-most-b/)

Max
06-10-2020, 01:51 PM
Man, I dug into this more... and this is a very specific claim.

The video's eerie background music, which builds in intensity, "was actually done for us by [Atticus Ross from] Nine Inch Nails," DeFrancisco said. Ross, an English musician from the alternative rock band, wrote and performed the music for the ad.

"He created it for us just in the last two to three weeks," she said.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/04/20/army-enlists-nine-inch-nails-new-coronavirus-themed-recruiting-video.html

I really hope this was some kind of misunderstanding. Like she thought that's who did it and it turns out it wasn't. Or someone from the company licensed something to her that he had done before and he didn't have any say about it. SOME explanation that would not involve Atticus betraying everything NIN is about and doing a damn recruitment video for an imperialist Army in the age of Trump. That's just insane.

NIN is my favorite bad, but that's like "he's out or we're out" level of betrayal to fans. I just cannot believe it. There has to be a good explanation. I do think it's time for NIN to address this. This is very concerning.

BRoswell
06-10-2020, 03:31 PM
What’s Pixar done?

I'm guessing Billy Boy is referring to John Lasseter's history of sexual harassment.

bobbie solo
06-11-2020, 02:55 AM
Man, I dug into this more... and this is a very specific claim.

The video's eerie background music, which builds in intensity, "was actually done for us by [Atticus Ross from] Nine Inch Nails," DeFrancisco said. Ross, an English musician from the alternative rock band, wrote and performed the music for the ad.

"He created it for us just in the last two to three weeks," she said.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/04/20/army-enlists-nine-inch-nails-new-coronavirus-themed-recruiting-video.html

I really hope this was some kind of misunderstanding. Like she thought that's who did it and it turns out it wasn't. Or someone from the company licensed something to her that he had done before and he didn't have any say about it. SOME explanation that would not involve Atticus betraying everything NIN is about and doing a damn recruitment video for an imperialist Army in the age of Trump. That's just insane.

NIN is my favorite bad, but that's like "he's out or we're out" level of betrayal to fans. I just cannot believe it. There has to be a good explanation. I do think it's time for NIN to address this. This is very concerning.

This isn't like full on endorsing MAGA, they've been on the right side of most everything else, and built enough good faith with me at least that I'm not gonna burn all my limited prints or anything just yet, but yeah I would love some qualifying info from Atticus or the camp. This is a major collar puller for me until we hear more, which almost certainly isn't gonna happen.

Max
06-12-2020, 09:12 PM
They got rid of Lasseter once it became public. Who knows how long it was tolerated before that...

I think the even bigger issue now with Pixar is their racial bias. They have no people of color in their leadership and never have. They finally have this big movie coming out where the lead character is a person of color and... it is directed by a white dude. Because they still don't have the diversity they should have now thirty plus years into this thing. And Trent and Atticus are doing the Soundtrack, with Jon Batiste performing some of the Jazz. Which is awesome. And fine. And who wouldn't take that opportunity? But to be honest, wouldn't it have also been cool if Trent and Atticus were like, "you know what? Maybe you should ask Kendrick Lamar or Kamasi Washington or Thundercat or Flying Lotus, or literally any of the other amazing black musicians capable of scoring this, and we'll catch you on the next one." I mean some of these artists, like Kamasi, have spent their lives trying to bring Jazz back into the mainstream.

I'm not saying they are wrong for taking the job. Who would want to turn down Pixar? They have kids. What a dream! I'm just saying it would have been nice to see someone in their position take that stand. It's more Pixar's fault than anyone, but it would have been nice. Maybe just something to consider for the next time around.

Jinsai
06-14-2020, 05:48 PM
It's bad optics all ways that I see it, until Atticus responds it's hanging in an ugly way.

zecho
06-17-2020, 08:28 PM
They got rid of Lasseter once it became public. Who knows how long it was tolerated before that...

I think the even bigger issue now with Pixar is their racial bias. They have no people of color in their leadership and never have. They finally have this big movie coming out where the lead character is a person of color and... it is directed by a white dude. Because they still don't have the diversity they should have now thirty plus years into this thing. And Trent and Atticus are doing the Soundtrack, with Jon Batiste performing some of the Jazz. Which is awesome. And fine. And who wouldn't take that opportunity? But to be honest, wouldn't it have also been cool if Trent and Atticus were like, "you know what? Maybe you should ask Kendrick Lamar or Kamasi Washington or Thundercat or Flying Lotus, or literally any of the other amazing black musicians capable of scoring this, and we'll catch you on the next one." I mean some of these artists, like Kamasi, have spent their lives trying to bring Jazz back into the mainstream.

I'm not saying they are wrong for taking the job. Who would want to turn down Pixar? They have kids. What a dream! I'm just saying it would have been nice to see someone in their position take that stand. It's more Pixar's fault than anyone, but it would have been nice. Maybe just something to consider for the next time around.

Obviously I would prefer the TR & AR score because I'm dirty fanboy, but this comment made me realize how awesome a Kamasi Washington score would be for a animated movie. I would love for that to happen!

eversonpoe
06-17-2020, 11:51 PM
Obviously I would prefer the TR & AR score because I'm dirty fanboy, but this comment made me realize how awesome a Kamasi Washington score would be for a animated movie. I would love for that to happen!

i feel like anything would be great if he did the score. can you imagine a collaboration between him and a director like denis villeneuve or julie taymor?

botley
06-23-2020, 02:40 AM
It's bad optics all ways that I see it, until Atticus responds it's hanging in an ugly way.

The only sane response is: "dismantle the military". (https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-pentagon-s-bottomless-money-pit?utm_source=pocket-newtab)