PDA

View Full Version : Coronavirus - COVID-19

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

ManBurning
01-24-2020, 12:45 PM
I'm surprised nobody here is talking about this.
It's been in the news up here in Canada nonstop like every minute of the day.

2nd US case discovered today, in Chicago.
Other case in Seattle.

Here is an interactive map that shows where the infected places in the world are:
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

A few days ago, confirmed cases were only at 300 and the death toll was only at 9 and at the time of writing this, it's 939 cases and 26 dead.

This is scary shit. It's SARS 2.0 all over again, but this time seems worse.

What's even scarier is, my manager at work is currently on vacation in China right now... I hope she doesn't bring this shit back with her!!
But, as far as I'm concerned, it's already here.

october_midnight
01-24-2020, 01:34 PM
nvm

theimage13
01-24-2020, 02:51 PM
Is this the sister ailment to Lyme Disease?

allegro
01-24-2020, 08:12 PM
Is this the sister ailment to Lyme Disease?

Corona virus passes from animals to people.

This particular one started with people selling illegal wild animals in a market.

SARS was one (wild cats to humans), as was MERS (camels to humans). Or maybe bats to humans.

Corona is named for its appearance under a microscope.

theimage13
01-25-2020, 05:12 AM
Corona virus passes from animals to people.

This particular one started with people selling illegal wild animals in a market.

SARS was one (wild cats to humans), as was MERS (camels to humans). Or maybe bats to humans.

Corona is named for its appearance under a microscope.

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-8bc9c9e378b71a71e39e8b6c39df9396-c

Guess that joke was dumb enough that I should have clarified it. (And if anyone finds it in bad taste to joke about this, just realize that some people use dark humor as a way to deal with things that they find creepy.)

Mantra
01-25-2020, 10:20 AM
Actually, I was wondering if the marketing people for Corona beer have been having emergency meetings to figure out if this is gonna damage their brand or hurt their sales.

thelastdisciple
01-25-2020, 05:00 PM
Officials are thinking someone in a Toronto, Ontario hospital has the virus now.

God damn it!

https://globalnews.ca/news/6462626/coronavirus-toronto-hospital/?utm_medium=Twitter&utm_source=%40globalnewsto

october_midnight
01-25-2020, 05:10 PM
This thread, man.... damn.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1220919589623803905

marodi
01-25-2020, 05:54 PM
The biggest threat to humans (besides other humans) has always been viruses. The Black Death, the Spanish Flu, smallpox...

Another deadly pandemic that will kill hundred of thousands of people is not "freaking out", it's inevitable.

As a depressed, cynical misanthrope, I say bring it on.

botley
01-25-2020, 08:14 PM
I'm seeing a lot of racism and paranoia. Go figure!

allegate
01-25-2020, 08:38 PM
watching Contagion with my son because they're talking about this in school. he's right proper freaked out and we're barely halfway through it.

thelastdisciple
01-25-2020, 10:02 PM
I'm seeing a lot of racism and paranoia. Go figure!
Yeah lots of those "this is why we shouldn't let everyone in to our county" comments, it's pretty sad.

Demogorgon
01-25-2020, 10:37 PM
Yeah lots of those "this is why we shouldn't let everyone in to our county" comments, it's pretty sad.

Ironic, considering how badly domestic anti-vaxxers seem to want us all to get measles and mumps and tuberculosis all over again.

botley
01-25-2020, 11:12 PM
Did everyone reading this get a flu shot for the year ahead? Maybe take a second out of your day to go and do that.

allegate
01-25-2020, 11:50 PM
well the tin-foil brigade is out, saying there's a huge biowarfare lab in the province this started in. seems like if it were engineered they did a piss-poor job of it since the mortality rate seems to be pretty low at the moment.

i think that Xi Jinping already talking about this means it's actually much worse than what's out there officially

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/chinese-leader-warns-of-accelerating-spread-of-deadly-coronavirus/2020/01/25/6409bc78-3f8c-11ea-baca-eb7ace0a3455_story.html

but this just doesn't seem like it's going lead to anything good

Japan, expecting 400,000 Chinese tourists this week, advised staff at airports and shops to wear face masks while serving customers, something usually considered inappropriate for public-facing employees. Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said airlines arriving in Japan had been asked to distribute health surveys and advise customers to report symptoms, while checks had also been stepped up for people arriving by cruise ship.

I guess the US is still receiving flights from there but it just seems like a terrible idea

allegro
01-25-2020, 11:54 PM
Sorry for the levity but this comment made me laugh, “it’s all fun and games until someone gets the plague!” (the plague, rats ... never mind)

https://twitter.com/al60win/status/1220072982455967744?s=21

chuckrh
01-26-2020, 03:12 AM
i spent friday at a hospital having some tests & was asked if i had been out of the country recently. stuff makes me nervous as my immune system is compromised by some meds. looks like going to have to stay in the fortress of solitude for the most part for awhile.

SM Rollinger
01-26-2020, 08:29 AM
well the tin-foil brigade is out, saying there's a huge biowarfare lab in the province this started in. seems like if it were engineered they did a piss-poor job of it since the mortality rate seems to be pretty low at the moment.

Article from 2017 about the lab...
https://www.nature.com/news/inside-the-chinese-lab-poised-to-study-world-s-most-dangerous-pathogens-1.21487

Also mortality rate is low because it has a 2 week incubation period, half the world's population could be infected and we wouldn't know yet.

Mantra
01-26-2020, 11:31 AM
i spent friday at a hospital having some tests & was asked if i had been out of the country recently.

But hasn't this been a pretty standard question for years now? I feel like they ask me this every time I go in for any kind of medical appointment, even if it's for something totally minor.

allegro
01-26-2020, 11:59 AM
I remember reading Defoe’s “A Journal of the Plague Year” and that some people in urban areas escaped to “the countryside” to get away from “the sickness” and everyone thought they were nuts, but it ended up they were totally right; not only because too many people but also because trash, rats, fleas.

China closing down schools, theaters, Disney, and anything “people” isn’t quite boarding people up inside their homes like The Great Plague but they’re taking proper precautions, for sure.

I take precautions by using those wipe thingies at the supermarket to disinfect the cart, and washing my hands like a maniac.

I didn’t get my flu shot this season because I was crazy busy. Bad move. I got sick for the first time in nine years. This is a NASTY flu going around. And I take about 10 vitamins per day and eat healthy. Get the flu shot, the 4-in-1.

I think I got it from a damned elevator I’m in all the time.

theimage13
01-26-2020, 01:10 PM
Did everyone reading this get a flu shot for the year ahead? Maybe take a second out of your day to go and do that.

Why does this virus make you say that?

I get my flu shot every year at the first possible chance, but I don't see the connection between that and this - especially since this year's flu vaccine is one of the least effective in a long, long time (the model they used to develop this year's was way off; the virus popping up in hospitals is generally coming from the B family, and the vaccine was geared mainly if not entirely toward the A family). I still recommend everyone get the shot since a bulletproof vest that covers a fraction of your vital organs is still better than a t-shirt, but I don't see why this would help anybody with regards to this new outbreak.

ManBurning
01-26-2020, 01:10 PM
The Toronto case was confirmed.

Los Angeles case confirmed today.

Just a matter of time til i gets here. Will be in Vancouver by end of the month with all the travel to/from China for the Lunar year. We have a huge Chinese population here.
Last I read, they quarantined about 13 cities in China. No in or out. Including by flight or by road. So that begs the question, how are these people getting through still?

It seems like every case I read about that leaks to another part of the world was from someone who traveled to the infected area.
I feel like they quarantined Wuhan a little too late. The cat had already been let out of the bag at that point.

Canada's "screening process" is also a joke. It's basically the honor system. They ask you if you traveled to an infected area and they ask you if you have any symptoms and that's it. And they take your word if you say no, lol. Anyone can very much lie to carry on with their day.

The city of Vancouver here, cancelled all Chinese New Year festivities and parades yesterday to take precautions even though the virus hasn't been "officially announced" here. So, least they have some street smarts here. Someone could have very well returned with the virus, fell sick and didn't report it or go to a hospital. I wouldn't be surprised if there were many more cases out already just unreported. Not everyone that has a cold or flu goes to the hospital. In fact, they usually train us here NOT to go if you think you just have a cold or flu because there is nothing a dr's office or hospital can do if you have it. Basically tell you to go home and rest.

With this shit, slightly different story since it basically causes pneumonia. I'd be done for if I caught this because I have weak lungs. I had re-occuring collapsed lungs when I was a teenager. Had about 9 cases in a Calendar year. Went for an operation to fix it. They cut out part of the bad lung. I have shortness of breath sometimes, so catching this could be fatal for me.

theimage13
01-26-2020, 01:12 PM
Actually, I was wondering if the marketing people for Corona beer have been having emergency meetings to figure out if this is gonna damage their brand or hurt their sales.

$STZ has been fairy stable in recent weeks. Doesn't seem to be a problem. If anything, the fact that people are talking about Corona more is probably working in their favor. No one would be dumb enough to think the virus has anything to do with the beer, but the beer is getting millions and millions of dollars in free advertising from jokes.

allegate
01-26-2020, 01:19 PM
$STZ has been fairy stable in recent weeks. Doesn't seem to be a problem. If anything, the fact that people are talking about Corona more is probably working in their favor. No one would be dumb enough to think the virus has anything to do with the beer, but the beer is getting millions and millions of dollars in free advertising from jokes.
have you seen the state of the world lately?

chuckrh
01-26-2020, 01:35 PM
But hasn't this been a pretty standard question for years now? I feel like they ask me this every time I go in for any kind of medical appointment, even if it's for something totally minor.

i don't remember being asked that before. i have to spend a lot of time having medicine being practiced on me but mostly with people who know me.

chuckrh
01-26-2020, 01:38 PM
The Toronto case was confirmed.

Los Angeles case confirmed today.

Just a matter of time til i gets here. Will be in Vancouver by end of the month with all the travel to/from China for the Lunar year. We have a huge Chinese population here.
Last I read, they quarantined about 13 cities in China. No in or out. Including by flight or by road. So that begs the question, how are these people getting through still?

It seems like every case I read about that leaks to another part of the world was from someone who traveled to the infected area.
I feel like they quarantined Wuhan a little too late. The cat had already been let out of the bag at that point.

Canada's "screening process" is also a joke. It's basically the honor system. They ask you if you traveled to an infected area and they ask you if you have any symptoms and that's it. And they take your word if you say no, lol. Anyone can very much lie to carry on with their day.

The city of Vancouver here, cancelled all Chinese New Year festivities and parades yesterday to take precautions even though the virus hasn't been "officially announced" here. So, least they have some street smarts here. Someone could have very well returned with the virus, fell sick and didn't report it or go to a hospital. I wouldn't be surprised if there were many more cases out already just unreported. Not everyone that has a cold or flu goes to the hospital. In fact, they usually train us here NOT to go if you think you just have a cold or flu because there is nothing a dr's office or hospital can do if you have it. Basically tell you to go home and rest.

With this shit, slightly different story since it basically causes pneumonia. I'd be done for if I caught this because I have weak lungs. I had re-occuring collapsed lungs when I was a teenager. Had about 9 cases in a Calendar year. Went for an operation to fix it. They cut out part of the bad lung. I have shortness of breath sometimes, so catching this could be fatal for me.

same thing is happening in seattle with lunar new year events

theimage13
01-26-2020, 01:47 PM
have you seen the state of the world lately?

Yes, but people are being stupid about boring things that don't matter, like education and women's rights and the overall health of the planet's ecosystem. They still pay attention to important things like cheap beer.

(for historians who may find this years from now, for fuck's sake, this is sarcasm of the highest degree)

botley
01-26-2020, 02:10 PM
Why does this virus make you say that?

I get my flu shot every year at the first possible chance, but I don't see the connection between that and this - especially since this year's flu vaccine is one of the least effective in a long, long time (the model they used to develop this year's was way off; the virus popping up in hospitals is generally coming from the B family, and the vaccine was geared mainly if not entirely toward the A family). I still recommend everyone get the shot since a bulletproof vest that covers a fraction of your vital organs is still better than a t-shirt, but I don't see why this would help anybody with regards to this new outbreak.
Good on you for being informed. I believe that act of taking the precaution, seeing it for yourself — a health professional performing the service they are trained for — boosts confidence in their work, and helps with the element of panic. Toronto Public Health (the body that successfully contained an outbreak of SARS cases from spreading in 2003) stated:

[The novel virus] ...has been identified at the same time as local circulation of influenza, also known as the flu, is common in Toronto. Toronto Public Health advises residents to take the usual measures to reduce the risk of the transmission of the flu and respiratory illness:

Get a yearly influenza vaccination, available from clinics and pharmacies.
Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly with soap and water, or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze.
If you don't have a tissue, sneeze or cough into your sleeve or arm.
Stay at home if you are sick.
Flu and respiratory illness symptoms include sudden onset of a high fever, chills, sore throat, cough, muscle aches and difficult breathing. As a reminder, the flu can spread to others before symptoms even appear. Older individuals or individuals with pre-existing medical conditions such as asthma or heart disease are at higher risk of severe illness. If you or a family member have concerns about any symptoms, contact your health care provider.
Do all of that (ie. see a health practitioner, and follow what they say to minimize risk) and your chances of getting deathly sick are probably small.

mfte
01-27-2020, 03:11 PM

see: ISIS

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/after-vandals-hit-isis-store-owner-seeks-distance-terror-group-n465762

theimage13
01-27-2020, 04:49 PM
see: ISIS

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/after-vandals-hit-isis-store-owner-seeks-distance-terror-group-n465762

Yeah, but that's a sign that's got a somewhat Middle-Eastern look to it (makes sense, given the store was named after the Egyptian goddess of life), so a bunch of ignorant racists are going to be drawn to it. I can at least see how someone dumb enough to be that racist would also be dumb enough to not understand that a book store isn't a terrorist organization. It's also entirely possible that all of them were either stoned or drunk (or both) and thought it would be "funny" to trash a place that just happened to share that name, even if they knew there wasn't any relation.

I don't think anyone old enough to drink beer is dumb enough to think that this virus all over the news if FROM a beer, especially since the headlines haven't said anything at all about beer.

ManBurning
01-28-2020, 03:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luztqxUBvZo

Haysey_Draws
01-28-2020, 03:50 AM
On a slightly lighter note i've had flu a couple of times in recent months (it knocked me out for most of christmas) so my office have joked a couple of times maybe i'm a carrier. I just coughed and the look of terror someone just gave me made me laugh a bit (don't worry i reassured them i'm fine and we're OK)

Substance242
01-28-2020, 06:25 AM
So, what about Japanese, are they infected?

chuckrh
01-28-2020, 07:03 AM
On a slightly lighter note i've had flu a couple of times in recent months (it knocked me out for most of christmas) so my office have joked a couple of times maybe i'm a carrier. I just coughed and the look of terror someone just gave me made me laugh a bit (don't worry i reassured them i'm fine and we're OK)

i had to stop working last summer because of RA but before then i would have to occasionally wear a SARS mask because of immune system issues. people would freak out! the best part is it got me out of attending a lot of useless meetings in small rooms & attend via phone instead. that meant i could actually work rather than throw away time on business school corporate bullshit.

Erneuert
01-28-2020, 07:40 AM

These are the actual events that Trent foresaw in 2016.

theimage13
01-28-2020, 07:50 AM

https://www.google.com/search?q=coronavirus+japan&oq=coronavirus+japan&aqs=chrome..69i57.3617j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Sorry, that link isn't meant to be a "google it you fuckwit" kind of link, so I hope it's not taken as such. There's just a lot of different layers of answers (beyond the base line "yes, there are confirmed cases in Japan").

cdm
01-28-2020, 08:32 AM
My son is in pre-K and the family of one of his classmates canceled their daughter's birthday party scheduled for this Sunday because of the virus scare. They are Chinese Americans and had invited many other families of Chinese decent. The email said none of the invited guests had recently traveled nor have they had visitors but they were canceling out of an abundance of caution. I hate to think they canceled because some sort of perceived stigma...

theimage13
01-28-2020, 08:46 AM
My son is in pre-K and the family of one of his classmates canceled their daughter's birthday party scheduled for this Sunday because of the virus scare. They are Chinese Americans and had invited many other families of Chinese decent. The email said none of the invited guests had recently traveled nor have they had visitors but they were canceling out of an abundance of caution. I hate to think they canceled because some sort of perceived stigma...

I definitely think there's a degree of stigma, but depending on the full circumstances, it may actually just be an extreme abundance of caution. Say you're on the west coast: it's not uncommon for Chinese Americans to spend time (going out to eat, for example) in places that are run by other Chinese Americans, and thus likely popular spots for Chinese tourists to visit. Part of the problem of the Coronavirus is that it's highly contagious. Now, throw in the fact that you're inviting these guests over to a party for a very small child with an extremely weak immune system, and couple that with general parental paranoia about anything bad happening to your darling child, and I can see how this becomes a thing that happens.

On the other hand, one of the people on my weekly trivia team is Chinese American, and I'm not about to stop going just because of his heritage. But so help me if ANYONE on that team has so much as a cold, then screw it, I'll see you next week instead.

Also, I get to work insanely long, stress-filled hours and bounce through six major airports over the next two weeks. Fuck. I was hoping to get a little further out of cold & flu season before I had to start going to those places again.

october_midnight
01-28-2020, 12:24 PM
Yay Vancouver! (https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/wuhan-coronavirus-first-case-confirmed-bc)

ManBurning
01-28-2020, 04:16 PM
Yay Vancouver! (https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/wuhan-coronavirus-first-case-confirmed-bc)

Yeah, that's the end of me. Nice knowing ya'll.

There was also another case floating around. Woman from Wuhan living in Burnaby caught it. Went to 3 hospitals and they all said she didn't have it. Spoke to a Dr in China who asked her to come back to China for a diagnosis and she went back and was confirmed he had it. What does that say about our health care system?

I bet there are tons of cases here, but they are downplaying it to prevent panic.

Here's the article about the woman who was misdiagnosed here.

https://translate.google.ca/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mingpaocanada.com%2FVan%2Fhtm%2 FNews%2F20200128%2Fvaa1h_r.htm%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR19Sy-DxMccgGz4lsngnPdwVgDIP5x9ll7gstNrykCs_w2-1HEqsoBxGn0&fbclid=IwAR0M_LBS91btEFFaTh3VAZxrB8XnkaK9B2NLhHMY5 bvkCWmL4yP3ZVrO_sE

thelastdisciple
01-29-2020, 04:08 AM
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-hubei-cases/china-virus-toll-crosses-130-japan-u-s-evacuate-citizens-idUSKBN1ZR2VG

Death toll in China over 130, confirmed cases jumped from 1,459 to 5,974

First case confirmed in the middle east.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-emirates-idUSKBN1ZS0F5

Demogorgon
01-29-2020, 02:37 PM
I don't think anyone old enough to drink beer is dumb enough to think that this virus all over the news if FROM a beer, especially since the headlines haven't said anything at all about beer.

You just needed to wait a few days: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/no-the-coronavirus-doesnt-have-anything-to-do-with-beer/ar-BBZrXXo?OCID=ansmsnnews11

mfte
01-29-2020, 04:22 PM
/\/\/\ yup. don't underestimate how ignorant people can be.

I was just at my Dr's office and we chatted a bit about the virus. She noted that when SARS struck it spread quickly around cities whereas Corona is not spreading as quickly. Is this due to its long incubation period compared to SARS? Maybe. I also asked about the idea that China is downplaying their numbers. This is entirely possible but the numbers coming of countries whose governments conduct themselves with transparency are in line with China. her opinion was that if this blows up then it will likely happen in the next week or two.

versusreality
01-29-2020, 06:25 PM
makes me wonder if this continues and spreads over the next few months if they'll call off the summer Olympics

ManBurning
01-30-2020, 12:24 AM
/\/\/\ yup. don't underestimate how ignorant people can be.

I was just at my Dr's office and we chatted a bit about the virus. She noted that when SARS struck it spread quickly around cities whereas Corona is not spreading as quickly. Is this due to its long incubation period compared to SARS? Maybe. I also asked about the idea that China is downplaying their numbers. This is entirely possible but the numbers coming of countries whose governments conduct themselves with transparency are in line with China. her opinion was that if this blows up then it will likely happen in the next week or two.

There are definitely more confirmed cases than Governments are leading on.
This is totally being downplayed the the media.

Honestly, I think it's worse than SARS. I mean, the numbers speak for themselves. SARS only had a global infected rate of a little over 8000 and that was over the course of a year and a half before it was eradicated.
As of the time of writing this, if numbers are to be believed for face value (which they aren't lol), we are already at 7783 "confirmed" cases and that's only a month and a half into this things life span. Already almost as many cases as SARS had. This is way worse than SARS. Not sure why it's being downplayed. Our local Government here says "Yes, we have a few confirmed cases. But don't worry everyone, this isn't very bad. We have it under control"

Suuuure.

Haysey_Draws
01-30-2020, 02:25 AM
With regards to SARS what's the mortality rate compared? Is this a more deadly virus, or is it just a more common virus with lower mortality?

(any death of anything is bad, just trying to gauge how deadly this thing is)

tony.parente
01-30-2020, 08:50 AM
makes me wonder if this continues and spreads over the next few months if they'll call off the summer Olympics
I mean fuck the chinese government, I don't want to see people die for it to have to happen but canceling the summer olympics there would absolutely be a silver lining to this horrible situation.

thelastdisciple
01-30-2020, 08:51 AM
Here's an online map that's updated with statistics as soon as they're reported.

Data sources: WHO, CDC, NHC and DXY.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

tony.parente
01-30-2020, 08:55 AM
Here's an online map that's updated with statistics as soon as they're reported.

It looks like a damned plague inc map

cdm
01-30-2020, 09:34 AM

I would not make it off that boat. If the virus didn't kill me the anxiety surely fucking would. FUCK THAT.

allegate
01-30-2020, 09:52 AM
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1222863896882679808

shouldn't he be taking a nap somewhere?

Haysey_Draws
01-30-2020, 10:24 AM
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1222863896882679808

shouldn't he be taking a nap somewhere?

The mental gymnastics some people are performing to justify their arguments are insane!

snaapz
01-30-2020, 11:14 AM
On my drive to work the radio hosts called and spoke with my cities health something or other person (cant remember her actual title).

She said that most of what you're seeing on tv and social media is "fake news" and its being blown out of proportion. She also said to be cautious if you're heading to the "Chinese china" :confused:

allegate
01-30-2020, 11:19 AM
It's OK, we all get Barenaked Ladies stuck in our head from time to time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC_q9KPczAg

allegate
01-30-2020, 01:02 PM
https://twitter.com/ElliottKaybooks/status/1222669997320728576

ickyvicky
01-30-2020, 01:12 PM
"You Can Now Go to Jail in China for Criticizing Beijing's Coronavirus Response"

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/g5xykx/you-can-now-go-to-jail-in-china-for-criticizing-beijings-coronavirus-response?utm_source=reddit.com

allegate
01-30-2020, 01:43 PM
I know a certain orange man who is salivating at that prospect.

Jon
01-30-2020, 05:43 PM

6 confirmed US cases, seems like a lot of fuss... let's see where... oh, go fuck yourself... 1/3 of the confirmed US cases are within 12 miles:

https://i.imgur.com/w1RwiY4.png

allegro
01-30-2020, 11:27 PM
6 confirmed US cases, seems like a lot of fuss... let's see where... oh, go fuck yourself... 1/3 of the confirmed US cases are within 12 miles:

https://i.imgur.com/w1RwiY4.png

That map is weird. The Chicago virus people are husband and wife in the same house. And they’re currently in a Hoffman Estates hospital. Nowhere near Peoria.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/chicago-coronavirus-patient-infected-spouse-in-1st-human-to-human-case-in-us-cdc/2210301/

The flu has already killed 6,600 Americans this season and sickened at least 13 million Americans. https://www.eastpeoriatimescourier.com/zz/news/20200124/coronavirus-terrifies-us-but-another-virus-has-already-killed-6000-in-us

ManBurning
01-31-2020, 03:17 PM
That map is weird. The Chicago virus people are husband and wife in the same house. And they’re currently in a Hoffman Estates hospital. Nowhere near Peoria.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/chicago-coronavirus-patient-infected-spouse-in-1st-human-to-human-case-in-us-cdc/2210301/

The flu has already killed 6,600 Americans this season and sickened at least 13 million Americans. https://www.eastpeoriatimescourier.com/zz/news/20200124/coronavirus-terrifies-us-but-another-virus-has-already-killed-6000-in-us

Yeah, the BC dot is in the middle of nowhere in a mountain range not accessible by road, when it's been confirmed to be in Vancouver. I think the dots are just placeholders to show what states/areas are infected and not exactly showing the location of the virus. Just used as a reference point for data.

theimage13
02-01-2020, 11:29 AM
https://twitter.com/ElliottKaybooks/status/1222669997320728576

No, but you do get to talk shit about a government's response of attempting to cover it up instead of being open and upfront and providing people with the necessary information.

On a different note, guess who's flying to several Asian countries (multiple times, no less) for a good portion of the year? Thankfully China itself isn't on the list, but still - proximity is a concern.

theimage13
02-01-2020, 11:32 AM
I mean fuck the chinese government, I don't want to see people die for it to have to happen but canceling the summer olympics there would absolutely be a silver lining to this horrible situation.

What's wrong with the Olympics being in Tokyo?

Mantra
02-01-2020, 11:32 AM
Yeah, the BC dot is in the middle of nowhere in a mountain range not accessible by road, when it's been confirmed to be in Vancouver. I think the dots are just placeholders to show what states/areas are infected and not exactly showing the location of the virus. Just used as a reference point for data.

Well I mean...that would be pretty weird and unethical if the map showed us the exact gps location of the infected people.

tony.parente
02-01-2020, 01:03 PM
What's wrong with the Olympics being in Tokyo?
I’m a fucking idiot lmaooooooo

botley
02-02-2020, 01:08 AM
Well I mean...that would be pretty weird and unethical if the map showed us the exact gps location of the infected people.
Individual hospitals where cases are being tested/treated/discharged are regularly identified in North American media, so that's kind of the same thing (not saying that we need this information... as I said before, the best prevention is common-sense airborne respiratory disease containment strategies).

allegro
02-02-2020, 01:30 AM
Exactly. The newspapers here in Chicago are telling us the exact location of the two infected people in the Chicago area.

versusreality
02-02-2020, 05:10 AM
"possible" coronavirus patient in NYC
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/nycs-first-possible-coronavirus-patient-tested-at-manhattan-hospital/2275229/

Magnetic
02-02-2020, 04:39 PM
No, but you do get to talk shit about a government's response of attempting to cover it up instead of being open and upfront and providing people with the necessary information.

On a different note, guess who's flying to several Asian countries (multiple times, no less) for a good portion of the year? Thankfully China itself isn't on the list, but still - proximity is a concern.

I had a friend who flew into Korea last week, and he said that they were doing check points everywhere, if that helps any.

And....for what it's worth, the Olympics can be slightly problematic in Tokyo if people are traveling there via China, which is a lot of western Europe.

There is this though. (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-thailand/cocktail-of-flu-hiv-drugs-appears-to-help-fight-coronavirus-thai-doctors-idUSKBN1ZW0GQ)

SM Rollinger
02-02-2020, 04:52 PM
There is this though. (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-thailand/cocktail-of-flu-hiv-drugs-appears-to-help-fight-coronavirus-thai-doctors-idUSKBN1ZW0GQ)

Considering this...
https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/coronavirus-contains-hiv-insertions-stoking-fears-over-artificially-created-bioweapon
https://www.zerohedge.com/s3/files/inline-images/HIV%20corona.jpg?itok=BNVvk8hi
there is no way this was naturally occurring. If I had to bet, the Chinese government has been spreading it purposely to break up the Hong Kong protests.

Magnetic
02-02-2020, 05:11 PM
I'm actually a molecular biologist. I'm going to look at the papers in detail, but blast searches always come up with all sorts of things dependent upon the parameters set. This is also pre-peer review, so it should be taken with a grain a salt.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised either way. Both it being naturally occurring and something engineered are equally valid.

ETA: "This is a preliminary study. Considering the grave situation, it was shared in BioRxiv as soon as possible to have creative discussion on the fast evolution of SARS-like corona viruses. It was not our intention to feed into the conspiracy theories and no such claims are made here. While we appreciate the criticisms and comments provided by scientific colleagues at BioRxiv forum and elsewhere, the story has been differently interpreted and shared by social media and news platforms. We have positively received all criticisms and comments. To avoid further misinterpretation and confusions world-over, we have decided to withdraw the current version of the preprint and will get back with a revised version after reanalysis, addressing the comments and concerns. Thank you to all who contributed in this open-review process.
: Authors of the Manuscript"

allegro
02-03-2020, 02:41 AM
https://twitter.com/africarepublic/status/1223922196780867584?s=21

allegate
02-03-2020, 07:49 AM
I'm actually a molecular biologist. I'm going to look at the papers in detail, but blast searches always come up with all sorts of things dependent upon the parameters set. This is also pre-peer review, so it should be taken with a grain a salt.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised either way. Both it being naturally occurring and something engineered are equally valid.

ETA: "This is a preliminary study. Considering the grave situation, it was shared in BioRxiv as soon as possible to have creative discussion on the fast evolution of SARS-like corona viruses. It was not our intention to feed into the conspiracy theories and no such claims are made here. While we appreciate the criticisms and comments provided by scientific colleagues at BioRxiv forum and elsewhere, the story has been differently interpreted and shared by social media and news platforms. We have positively received all criticisms and comments. To avoid further misinterpretation and confusions world-over, we have decided to withdraw the current version of the preprint and will get back with a revised version after reanalysis, addressing the comments and concerns. Thank you to all who contributed in this open-review process.
: Authors of the Manuscript"

that makes this announcement make a little more sense:

‘The results look good so far:’ Thai doctors tout promising treatment for Wuhan coronavirus (https://fortune.com/2020/02/03/wuhan-coronavirus-treatment-thailand/)

A cocktail of antiviral drugs appeared effective in treating a seriously ill coronavirus patient, a Thai health official said.

The HIV medicines lopinavir and ritonavir, which are sold by AbbVie Inc. as the product Kaletra, was used on three patients in conjunction with the anti-flu medication oseltamivir, sold by Roche Holding AG and Chugai Pharmaceutical Co. as Tamiflu, Somkiat Lalitwongsa, director of the Rajavithi Hospital in Bangkok told reporters Monday.

Magnetic
02-03-2020, 08:53 AM
If it was truly randomized, then n = 6, which is quite low. Hopeful, but I'll hold my breath until the sample size increases.
I also wonder how much this drug is world wide/ how much profit is to be made from this small study. Let's not give biopharma too much credit.

botley
02-04-2020, 01:29 PM
Good overall summary (https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/coronavirus-outbreak-charted-1.5450621) of how this is actually manifesting, in terms of fatality rate, compared to other virus outbreaks. "In essence, it's a version of SARS that spreads more easily but causes less damage." Ian Jones, professor of virology at the University of Reading.

Haysey_Draws
02-05-2020, 05:07 AM
BBC reporting rather depressingly that London's Chinatown is having a drop off in custom and residents are being treated badly due to the virus...fuck sake.

ManBurning
02-06-2020, 04:25 AM
BBC reporting rather depressingly that London's Chinatown is having a drop off in custom and residents are being treated badly due to the virus...fuck sake.

Yeah, that's pretty much globally at this point.
Chinese lady coughed on an airplane and they told her to put on a mask.

Also, some jackass at a gas station told a lady she "dropped her corona virus" when she threw a tissue out the window of her car.

Sad to see the world treading backwards in times like these.

Jon
02-06-2020, 02:40 PM
Here's a resource of 5,352 papers from 1968-2020 about Coronaviridae and related strains:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/exdka0/the_coronavirus_papers_unlocked_5352_scientific/

The good majority of these are/were behind paywalls. I did not include a direct link, as this legally is the same as stealing a book and posting it online. I hope, though, we can all see the difference between sharing a novel and sharing medical research papers.

Magnetic
02-06-2020, 09:19 PM
Any major research institution worth a damn has access to these paywalls. Which means any researcher with adequate qualifications has access to these, and the paywalls are a way to keep sensational journalists from posting about these articles with minimal experience.

Just because there's 5000+ articles on "coronav+" doesn't mean they're all reputable or applicable, especially when you scale back beyond 1990s research. Peer review quality has been more rigorous over the last 20 years.

While it's easy to read the author's outrage and get in a tizzy about things, unless you're in the field it's difficult to navigate. Biological science is not some cut and dry thing that's easy to read. Statistics can be manipulated, data can be manipulated, and compiling data from 5000+ studies over 5 decades is questionable in my book.

allegate
02-14-2020, 12:35 PM
thus we have entered into act two of Contagion:

https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1227657884395327489

theimage13
02-14-2020, 03:27 PM

Convicted felon Jim Bakker, sentenced to 45 years in prison after being found guilty on 24 counts of fraud, falsely claims that a substance repeatedly demonstrated to possess no health benefits can cure a rapidly spreading virus.

#truthinheadlines

cdm
02-14-2020, 04:01 PM
Convicted felon Jim Bakker, sentenced to 45 years in prison after being found guilty on 24 counts of fraud, falsely claims that a substance repeatedly demonstrated to possess no health benefits can cure a rapidly spreading virus.

#truthinheadlines

Now wait a second. Let's hear him out. I say we lock him one of those cruise ship cabins with some coughed on rags and test this shit out. Pump in some dirty air to be 100% sure. We'll never know until he tries!

SM Rollinger
02-14-2020, 04:35 PM
Snake Oil

allegate
02-14-2020, 05:08 PM
Now wait a second. Let's hear him out. I say we lock him one of those cruise ship cabins with some coughed on rags and test this shit out. Pump in some dirty air to be 100% sure. We'll never know until he tries!
I saw a response that said we should send him + the other profit preachers to lay hands on everyone over there to ensure this is taken care of as quickly as possible.

'This' can be left up to your imagination.

Space Suicide
02-14-2020, 10:04 PM

I say him and the bitch peddling it go and prove it. Take them to a diseased wing of a hospital or containment center and see if they live after taking a dose or two.

botley
02-14-2020, 10:42 PM
Then while taking full advantage of science-based treatment, proclaim myself a miracle-worker to my bleating flock of morons.

theimage13
02-15-2020, 06:16 AM
I say him and the bitch peddling it go and prove it. Take them to a diseased wing of a hospital or containment center and see if they live after taking a dose or two.

Not even live, just see if they get sick or not. If it really does "cure" it then they won't have so much as a cough.

ninlive
02-15-2020, 09:18 AM
Just doing cardio at the gym today and saw a quote from good old Donald Trump that April will be an important month because the weather will start to heat up and heat is the only thing known to kill the virus.

No, Donald... Not at that temperature. Stay in your lane.

allegate
02-15-2020, 11:08 AM
https://twitter.com/Mike2020/status/1228338153964081155

SM Rollinger
02-15-2020, 12:49 PM
https://twitter.com/Mike2020/status/1228338153964081155

Bush Jr was a moron, but in a lovable sort of way. Trump's stupidity is just plain aggravating.

ninlive
02-15-2020, 01:04 PM
Bruhhhhhh cryingggggggggg lmaooooooooooooooo

allegate
02-16-2020, 08:09 PM
- Beijing-sponsored South China University of Technology concludes that 'the killer coronavirus probably originated from a laboratory in Wuhan'
- It points to research on bats and respiratory diseases carried by the animals at the Wuhan Center for Disease Control and the Wuhan Institute of Virology
- WCDC is just 300 yards from the seafood market and is adjacent to the hospital

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8009669/Did-coronavirus-originate-Chinese-government-laboratory.html

is the Daily Mail ok again, or is this just bunk?

Magnetic
02-17-2020, 05:14 PM
I wouldn't trust anything coming from the Daily Mail ever.

allegate
02-18-2020, 10:08 AM
thought so, it seemed a little wacky.

Hospital director dies in Wuhan as China designates dead nurses and doctors as 'martyrs' (https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/17/asia/coronavirus-covid-19-update-intl-hnk/index.html)

that's a weird thing to designate someone, right?

cdm
02-18-2020, 10:25 AM
thought so, it seemed a little wacky.

Hospital director dies in Wuhan as China designates dead nurses and doctors as 'martyrs' (https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/17/asia/coronavirus-covid-19-update-intl-hnk/index.html)

that's a weird thing to designate someone, right?

Seems weird. Something lost in translation, maybe?

ManBurning
02-23-2020, 02:05 AM
Lots of major news about the virus in the last few days.

Italy went from like 10 cases to 80 in a couple days
Iran went from 0 to 28 almost over night.
South Korea... good god, help them. They're doubling every day and in the mid 500 range now.

Looks like it's finally happening. Here we go.

chuckrh
02-23-2020, 04:35 AM
As someone with a compromised immune system (due to treatments for RA), this shit is making me nervous.

Magnetic
02-23-2020, 10:06 AM
I feel for you. My dad had a compromised immune system, and I always worried about him.
From what I've read, COVID-19 only has a 2% mortality rate, which is low when you compare it to SARS (10%) and MERS (34%). That said, COVID-19 seems way more contagious; I think I read it's a factor of 10 higher. So more people are getting infected, and 2% of 1000 is more than 10% of 100.

I would highly advise using one of those face masks when you go out in public. Due to the COVID-19 panic, they may be hard to find. If you want, I can mail you 10 of mine, feel free to PM me.

Washing hands goes a LONG way. When you buy items you get in a store that could be handled by the public, you can wash them off with soap and water - don't go the anti-bacterial route, you need friendly bacteria. And try not to touch your face, especially eyes/nose. (I have a background in microbiology.)

chuckrh
02-23-2020, 10:30 AM
I feel for you. My dad had a compromised immune system, and I always worried about him.
From what I've read, COVID-19 only has a 2% mortality rate, which is low when you compare it to SARS (10%) and MERS (34%). That said, COVID-19 seems way more contagious; I think I read it's a factor of 10 higher. So more people are getting infected, and 2% of 1000 is more than 10% of 100.

I would highly advise using one of those face masks when you go out in public. Due to the COVID-19 panic, they may be hard to find. If you want, I can mail you 10 of mine, feel free to PM me.

Washing hands goes a LONG way. When you buy items you get in a store that could be handled by the public, you can wash them off with soap and water - don't go the anti-bacterial route, you need friendly bacteria. And try not to touch your face, especially eyes/nose. (I have a background in microbiology.)

Thank you, that's very nice of you. I have some face masks & seriously limit my exposure to people for the time being, especially large crowds. I do my shopping early in the morning (I had to retire early due to the RA). I haven't been to the movies in ages & no music shows recently. I even missed the Star Wars film because it became obvious they guessed wrong on the flu vaccine. I can catch the Star Wars when it comes out on blu-ray. Nothing on the schedule until mid-March & I will probably be wearing a mask to those shows. I live in Seattle & between us & Vancouver there is a lot of interaction with China. Thanks for the info & advice!

ManBurning
02-23-2020, 01:47 PM
. I live in Seattle & between us & Vancouver there is a lot of interaction with China.

Yeah, Vancouver is already up to 6 cases now.
However, it's not just China we have to worry about now.
Our 6th case of the virus came from a woman who had no connection to China. She came back from Iran.
They are saying Iran was false reporting their cases, because as soon as the news here broke about the woman from Iran had caught it, literally all of a sudden Iran reported 14 cases and 2 deaths. Then the number shot to 28 cases and 4 deaths in 2 days hmm. Fishy. Feel like a lot of these countries aren't being honest with their reporting.

I'm not too too worried about catching it out and about in every day life, but I do have a huge international vacation coming up to Europe at the end of May, so that's where I am worried about catching it.
Visiting airports and going on dirty airplanes for hours and sleeping in hotel rooms and riding trains... urgh. We spent too much money on the trip and most of it is non refundable and it's been something we've wanted to do for years now, going to a music festival in Germany then taking the train down to Switzerland for a few days. Just gonna suck it up and see what happens. I've already accepted my fate if I do catch it. I've been selling all my stuff to pay for this trip in the event I meet my demise anyway.

EDIT: last night Italy had 80 and now they have 132 overnight. That escalated quickly.

theimage13
02-23-2020, 02:30 PM
I'm supposed to be going to South Korea. For three weeks. For events with 50,000+ attendees.

I'm scared shitless. Not just about "OMG I might catch it and die" (although that is a concern). If I so much as develop a cough over there, I could end up getting quarantined, being unable to go to work, and being financially ruined by medical bills.

allegate
02-23-2020, 06:06 PM
isn't that what gofundme campaigns are for?

/s...but is it really?

ManBurning
02-23-2020, 08:48 PM
I'm supposed to be going to South Korea. For three weeks. For events with 50,000+ attendees.

I'm scared shitless. Not just about "OMG I might catch it and die" (although that is a concern). If I so much as develop a cough over there, I could end up getting quarantined, being unable to go to work, and being financially ruined by medical bills.

You make it sound like catching it and dying from it is the better option lol.

theimage13
02-24-2020, 06:38 AM
You make it sound like catching it and dying from it is the better option lol.

The less likely option. You're severely jet lagged, working seven days a week, 16+ hours a day, in the spring - you're bound to have a bit of a cough now and then. Nothing more than a little dust in your lungs or a seasonal cold. And that would be enough to keep me trapped in a foreign country and lose my job.

ickyvicky
02-24-2020, 09:36 AM
The idea of being in an airport just scares me.

allegate
02-25-2020, 04:00 PM
https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1232375865054547968

guys, it's all good. it's no longer an issue.

richardp
02-25-2020, 06:17 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBpbStnVwAA-tna.jpghttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/ET0e_AdQ0u1t4EEfU1WH9mgT5mPayRY5chsExZiUS5dbyLUJlE FVq9GrF3al44fpMQjgMUdBfdaaaNQKU5jvTN9Fkqhdx72bI7ip-l8S-OCeGyhvRvN-Y2XmzmA0q-lWrOwqbxz2opNTDlHC0LuAU-voR-YsApiGxNg

Magnetic
02-25-2020, 08:21 PM
The less likely option. You're severely jet lagged, working seven days a week, 16+ hours a day, in the spring - you're bound to have a bit of a cough now and then. Nothing more than a little dust in your lungs or a seasonal cold. And that would be enough to keep me trapped in a foreign country and lose my job.

That sucks, and I'm sorry. I have a friend currently in South Korea who has one of those big black face masks. I'd highly recommend investing in one. Never touch your face and wash your hands constantly. I wish you good luck.

Dryalex12
02-26-2020, 01:58 AM
I'm remaining pretty optimistic about the situation. I'm not saying there is no reason to be concerned but im not panicking since i dont think doing that is going to help out anything at all. The mortality rate is still extremely low as some have pointed out, and the fact that most of the people have died from it had something else wrong with them such as diabetes and the fact they are elderly.

so far, im treating this more as "Oh, it's just something i have to watch out for, like a new type of flu". That being said, i don't know what's going to happen but i am still remaining calm and logical about everything that happens and i feel like most of us will be alright in the long run. That's just my take. I wish all of you the best of luck though.

theimage13
02-26-2020, 05:23 AM
I'm remaining pretty optimistic about the situation. I'm not saying there is no reason to be concerned but im not panicking since i dont think doing that is going to help out anything at all. The mortality rate is still extremely low as some have pointed out, and the fact that most of the people have died from it had something else wrong with them such as diabetes and the fact they are elderly.

so far, im treating this more as "Oh, it's just something i have to watch out for, like a new type of flu". That being said, i don't know what's going to happen but i am still remaining calm and logical about everything that happens and i feel like most of us will be alright in the long run. That's just my take. I wish all of you the best of luck though.

Yeah - if you're not traveling, it's nothing to freak out about at all. If you ARE traveling, it depends on where. I'm pretty anxious about this due primarily to *where* I'm supposed to be going.

Random tidbit for everyone who keeps comparing it to the flu though: this year's flu mortality rate in this country is 0.05%. A recent study (http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/02/study-72000-covid-19-patients-finds-23-death-rate) puts the rate for this virus at 2.3%. Meaning you've got a 1 in 50 chance of dying if you get this. I'd be lying if I said that didn't kind of get under my skin. And god knows if I do start coughing while I'm over there, my general anxiety is going straight into overdrive (which, fun fact, feels just like the symptoms of this virus, which then makes the anxiety worse, which...fuck anxiety.)

thelastdisciple
02-26-2020, 05:59 AM
How have they not cancelled these events that you're booked for? theimage13

sweeterthan
02-26-2020, 07:37 AM
Having trump in charge during the outbreak is fucking terrifying. On twitter he’s touting no cases in the US, like he’s personally responsible for that. Humble yourself, dude. It’s on its way.

ltrandazzo
02-26-2020, 07:39 AM
Having trump in charge during the outbreak is fucking terrifying. On twitter he’s touting no cases in the US, like he’s personally responsible for that. Humble yourself, dude. It’s on its way.

This is the real downside of the whole fake news thing because he's touting it as such. Sen. Brian Schatz being worried shitless really worries me about the scope of this thing.

elevenism
02-26-2020, 08:44 AM
so this is looking grimmer by the minute. you guys know that i can be a bit of an alarmist, and i try to temper that, but goddamn (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/26/world/asia/coronavirus-news.html).

could this become the new flu, but with a much higher mortality rate?

by that same token, we've had SARS and West Nile, etc, that were going to kill everyone. and, they didn't.

BTW, @theimage13 (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=809) , tell your employer that you're way too sick to go to SK, because you've already caught Bird Flew.
No SK for you.

cdm
02-26-2020, 11:40 AM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/02/26/how-to-prepare-for-coronavirus/

And for all you conspiracy theorists out there:

NotoriousTIMP
02-26-2020, 01:45 PM
The idea of being in an airport just scares me.

As someone who just came home from Japan a week and half ago, it wasn't bad at all. Granted, the number of cases has grown since I came back, but the airports operated smoothly. Get a mask and wear glasses/sunglasses. I also recommend carrying some hand sanitizer

But San Diego has two cases....
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/health/story/2020-02-12/second-coronavirus-case-confirmed-in-san-diego

SM Rollinger
02-26-2020, 02:40 PM
Some of the alternative facts.

Mantra
02-26-2020, 03:32 PM
Having trump in charge during the outbreak is fucking terrifying.

Yeah.

I mean look at this stupid shit...

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1232652371832004608

theimage13
02-26-2020, 04:35 PM
Delta has suspended service to SK until the end of April.

So great, now if I'm still going, I don't even get a shot at an upgrade. First world problems.

But seriously, if they've suspended service, I have to imagine that other airlines might be behind. We'll definitely charter if needed, but this could be the first indication of the time frame that major businesses are placing their bets on. Maybe there's hope yet that we'll postpone.

How have they not cancelled these events that you're booked for? @theimage13 (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=809)

There's probably a couple hundred million reasons, if you catch my drift.

Jinsai
02-26-2020, 04:36 PM
Yeah.

I mean look at this stupid shit...

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1232652371832004608

He's the most solipsistic piece of shit on earth; everything is about him and his approval. Yeah Trump (and Rush, I guess), this is all a grand conspiracy to make you look bad. Starbucks is totally shutting down their stores because they wanna hurt the stock market... just to make you look like an asshole.

theimage13
02-26-2020, 05:04 PM
He's the most solipsistic piece of shit on earth; everything is about him and his approval. Yeah Trump (and Rush, I guess), this is all a grand conspiracy to make you look bad. Starbucks is totally shutting down their stores because they wanna hurt the stock market... just to make you look like an asshole.

Hey, if there's anyone who knows about being a manipulative sack of shit in order to get the markets to do his bidding, it's Trump. This is sorta his area, actually.

Jinsai
02-26-2020, 05:47 PM
holy shit listening to Trump do this Coronavirus press conference... even though we're normalized to this it's just maddening

cdm
02-26-2020, 05:55 PM
Apropos of absolutely nothing at all...

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mike-pence-indiana-hiv_n_57f53b9be4b002a7312022ef

While no, not apples to potential apples but several parallels are already emerging: 1. Funding has been slashed for pandemic response and they’ve said they’ll rob Peter (cooincidently(?) hiv programs, among others) to pay Paul. 2. We’ve already seen the downplaying of the CV situation coupled with the blathering disinformation and maybe the most worrysome: 3. The potential for Pence to put his “faith” above the science and physicians is truly frightening. Fuck that guy.

Jinsai
02-26-2020, 06:18 PM
he appointed MIKE PENCE to handle it as czar

god help us.

allegro
02-26-2020, 06:36 PM
The entire country is sold out of those 3M masks, but you can get N95 masks at Home Depot.

Magnetic
02-26-2020, 07:06 PM
I think I read that they have to be properly fitted for them to be effective. Otherwise it's just a really expensive 3M mask.

DF118
02-26-2020, 07:25 PM
Pence being put in charge of this, is possibly the worst thing that could happen to civilization. I can see this leading to his biblically prophesied ascension to the Presidency becoming a reality... shortly before he himself succumbs to the Coronavirus, the last man alive in the bunker.

allegro
02-26-2020, 08:26 PM
I think I read that they have to be properly fitted for them to be effective. Otherwise it's just a really expensive 3M mask.

There are online vids as to how to make sure they’re fitted properly. Biggest issue is making sure you have no air gaps. They’re not that expensive. But, if they don’t start making more, they WILL BE.

theimage13
02-27-2020, 06:21 AM
Upon further reading, my "Delta suspended service" thing from the last page is completely wrong. They suspended service between ONE of their American stops; the others are all still running. It wasn't an "oh shit, stop the spread" move, it was an "oh shit, no one is buying tickets for this specific route" move.

ickyvicky
02-27-2020, 08:25 AM
We're all gonna die

ryanmcfly
02-27-2020, 09:34 AM
We're all gonna die

Well, yeah.

I really wasn't that worried about coronavirus until Pence was put in charge.

Mantra
02-27-2020, 09:56 AM
It's too bad that this very real, very serious thing is probably gonna end up devolving into some partisan political issue.

allegate
02-27-2020, 10:50 AM
Well, yeah.

I really wasn't that worried about coronavirus until Pence was put in charge.
saw pontification today that wonders if putting him in charge of something this high profile is a way to take him off the ticket when he fails.

chuckrh
02-27-2020, 11:28 AM
Pence being put in charge of this, is possibly the worst thing that could happen to civilization. I can see this leading to his biblically prophesied ascension to the Presidency becoming a reality... shortly before he himself succumbs to the Coronavirus, the last man alive in the bunker.

with his finger on the nuclear button. he can't wait to hang with his bud Jesus. hey.....isn't that a hispanic name?

theimage13
02-27-2020, 11:39 AM
It's too bad that this very real, very serious thing is probably gonna end up devolving into some partisan political issue.

I think that's actually just the motto of American politics. Same could be applied to civil rights, climate change, providing health care for people, education, etc.

Mantra
02-27-2020, 12:27 PM
I think that's actually just the motto of American politics. Same could be applied to civil rights, climate change, providing health care for people, education, etc.

Yeah, for sure. I guess I was just hoping for a bit there that this might be different. I mean, I don't see why this needs to be like that.

theimage13
02-27-2020, 01:31 PM
I mean, I don't see why this needs to be like that.

The White House, and much of the government, is currently under the control of a criminal who has been backed into a corner and will likely be facing jail time as soon as he's out of the job. He will do anything - ANYTHING - to stay in office. If that means attacking people and politicizing a potential pandemic in order to rile up his base and try to win votes, that's just another day at work for the current POTUS. I think if literally anyone else were in office, the majority of the country would feel confident that POTUS, or at least a respectable team, were taking this seriously and doing everything in their power to help.

theimage13
02-27-2020, 07:18 PM
Holy shit, people are dumb. I will admit I was wrong about this.

The agency's survey, released Thursday, asked 737 American beer drinkers' opinions about the Corona beer brand with the coronavirus spreading.

It found 38% of beer-drinking Americans would not buy Corona under any circumstances now and 16% said they were confused about whether Corona beer is related to the coronavirus.

Jokes about corona being a shit beer aside....wow.

Space Suicide
02-27-2020, 07:25 PM
Holy shit, people are dumb. I will admit I was wrong about this.

Jokes about corona being a shit beer aside....wow.

People are dumb. It's why I am, by and large, a misanthropist.

chuckrh
02-27-2020, 09:04 PM
People are dumb. It's why I am, by and large, a misanthropist.

1 of my main life mottos: people are fucking stupid.
if you remember that you'll go further than most.

allegate
02-27-2020, 09:59 PM
https://i.imgur.com/L3ErmAI.jpg

ickyvicky
02-28-2020, 08:48 AM
Funny remark I heard on the radio this morning. They were asking listeners whether or not they were scared of the coronavirus and if they were prepared. One listener called in and said, "I'm from the hood, and everybody stays away from the hood anyways! So I'll be alright, I ain't scared." hahahaha

cdm
02-28-2020, 10:15 AM
My gf had a global meeting / conference scheduled for March in San Diego...it's been postponed until further notice due to COVID19.

I wonder when this will start to affect campaign events.

theimage13
02-28-2020, 12:52 PM
Given how badly the markets are dropping, what we need is a massive gesture to show that this is really nothing to be afraid of. Like the president taking a trip to China to prove things are okay and all our consumer goods are still being manufactured. Take some factory tours, speak with the locals about how the virus isn't so bad, etc.

cdm
02-28-2020, 01:21 PM
Given how badly the markets are dropping, what we need is a massive gesture to show that this is really nothing to be afraid of. Like the president taking a trip to China to prove things are okay and all our consumer goods are still being manufactured. Take some factory tours, speak with the locals about how the virus isn't so bad, etc.

I couldn't disagree with this more. What we need is transparency and updates, daily even, from CDC doctors / scientists. Not a word from Trump, not a word from Pence.

In the background, testing in the US needs to improve, in both accuracy and speed. The doctors need to know right away if it's Covid or not. Then and only then can they start to analyze the data and track the outbreak. Not only that but with the limited isolation bedspace, hospitals can't be housing patients with the run-of-the-mill flu for 2-3 days waiting for results to come back. That will drain resources and turn away a lot of patients.

allegate
02-28-2020, 01:37 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/6PdItpDwQ2CVG/giphy.gif

d1stinct
02-28-2020, 01:46 PM

Exactly; I'm sure someone could even convince him to go to Wuhan.

cdm
02-28-2020, 01:48 PM
Exactly; I'm sure someone could even convince him to go to Wuhan.

I should have my sarcasm meter checked, shouldn't I?

allegate
02-28-2020, 01:58 PM
would it be better or worse if he pukes on someone à la Bush the First?

ManBurning
02-28-2020, 03:06 PM
Well, we might cancel our trip to Europe if this thing gets worse. Luckily, we don't leave til May 26th, so still a couple months for this thing to blow over, but at the rate it's growing, I don't see it getting eradicated in 3 months. We've prepared to bite the bullet and cancel our trip. 1 hotel is non refundable, 1 is. The flights, we won't get refunds for those. But we'll get a credit to use for a year. Guess if Trent and friends announce something for the fall, I'll have the airfare credit on reserve lol.

fillow
02-28-2020, 03:13 PM
So uh... will I get the virus if I rewatch Corona Capital NIN stream?

DF118
02-28-2020, 09:06 PM
https://i.imgur.com/L3ErmAI.jpg

I'm admittedly extremely immature, but that sounds awesome.

SM Rollinger
02-28-2020, 10:00 PM
Well I think it's time to prepare for the inevitable, I just bought 2 months worth of food for me and my cat. If I'm overreacting then I won't have to buy groceries for awhile, but id rather be prepared for the worst. Especially when our fearless orange skinned leader is saying shit like "not everyone will be able to afford the vaccine." Fuck outta here with that! Like he wants it to infect the 99% of us plebs and peons.

Sorry for the rant but now I'm pissed off about this whole thing.

And fuck China too for spreading this around to break up the Free HK protests.

DF118
02-28-2020, 10:12 PM
Well I think it's time to prepare for the inevitable, I just bought 2 months worth of food for me and my cat. If I'm overreacting then I won't have to buy groceries for awhile, but id rather be prepared for the worst. Especially when our fearless orange skinned leader is saying shit like "not everyone will be able to afford the vaccine." Fuck outta here with that! Like he wants it to infect the 99% of us plebs and peons.

Sorry for the rant but now I'm pissed off about this whole thing.

And fuck China too for spreading this around to break up the Free HK protests.

That's a bit "prepper", isn't it? It's a flu. It's a shitty time to be, but it's still just a just a flu. You're panicking, and that's where the danger is.

allegate
02-28-2020, 10:12 PM
close to home:
Clark County Public Health watching 12 people for coronavirus
All traveled to China in past 2 weeks; none have symptoms (https://www.columbian.com/news/2020/feb/27/clark-county-public-health-watching-12-people-for-coronavirus/)

ManBurning
02-29-2020, 12:32 AM
That's a bit "prepper", isn't it? It's a flu. It's a shitty time to be, but it's still just a just a flu. You're panicking, and that's where the danger is.

I have never seen a regular flu this contagious before though. The only time I remember that I got the flu really bad, was the one year my work was offering free flu shots to all their employees back in 2006.
Figured why the hell not. Got it, and ended up catching the worst sickness of my life that winter. Ever since then, no flu shots for me and I usually don't get sick in the winter now.

I usually get sick in the spring and fall. Sometimes I'll get the dreaded summer cold, but oddly enough - rarely in the winter. Which should be prime time to catch sick. Better knock on wood so I don't jinx myself, lol
*knocks on wood*

theimage13
02-29-2020, 05:52 AM
I have never seen a regular flu this contagious before though. The only time I remember that I got the flu really bad, was the one year my work was offering free flu shots to all their employees back in 2006.
Figured why the hell not. Got it, and ended up catching the worst sickness of my life that winter. Ever since then, no flu shots for me and I usually don't get sick in the winter now.

Ugh. Sorry, but non-COVID rant time: this is exactly why you SHOULD get the flu shot. The sickness you got that winter had NOTHING to do with the shot, and if anything, it should serve as a reminder of how unbelievably shitty the flu is and why you SHOULD do everything you can to prevent it. The shot is not 100% effective - not even close in some years - but it's still better than nothing. What you experienced was nothing more than a coincidence that now has you believing - and behaving - as though flu shot = bad, skipping shot = good. This would be like a cop saying "I'm never wearing my bulletproof vest. When I was, some asshole shot me in the kneecap and it hurt like hell." Not the vest's fault he got shot, but now he's just leaving himself more vulnerable.

Back on topic: while I think most people in North America are not in any real position to be worried, this is not just the flu we're talking about here. People can carry this for weeks without showing symptoms or knowing they're contagious, it spreads easily from person to person, and the mortality rate is 1,000% higher than the garden variety flu. Should we be making lines wrapping around the building at Costco? No. But should be be dismissing this as "just one of those things that comes with cold and flu season"? Fuck no.

Here's the thing: IF this can get contained and stamped out via procedures that may feel overprotective, we may be able to make this a non-issue going forward. If it doesn't get contained, then you have something just as contagious as the flu, but with a substantially higher rate of killing people, that now becomes just as common as the flu. According to the CDC, the US experienced 29,000,000 cases of the flu in the '16-17 season. Let's say this new one becomes just a fraction of that and presents 1,000,000 cases because we let it go unchecked and treated it just like any ol' flu strain. At the currently projected ~3% mortality rate, that's another 30,000 deaths. Is that really something that we should just shrug our shoulders over?

Final thought: eventually, there will be a shot for this. It's not an if, it's a when. If you refuse to get the seasonal flu shot, then tough shit, you don't get this one either. You don't get to pick and choose when you believe in science and when you don't.

elevenism
02-29-2020, 07:37 AM
Did you guys see Trump call the virus "their new hoax?," after the " Russia hoax, " and the "Impeachment Hoax" at his rally last night?

he's also still claiming that there are only 15 cases in the U.S. There are 64 confirmed cases

edit: while the most of the 64 cases are among repatriated us citizens, trump is still playing bullshit with the numbers

Magnetic
02-29-2020, 08:09 AM
People can carry this for weeks without showing symptoms or knowing they're contagious, it spreads easily from person to person, and the mortality rate is 1,000% higher than the garden variety flu.

No. It's frustrating because most of your post was rather logical, but you don't get to make up statistics to make your point. That isn't how science works. The current influenza has a mortality rate of about 0.1%, COVID-19 is at 2.3%. That is not 1000% more, that's 20 times more.

What might be alarming is that COVID-19 appears to be very contagious, I think a factor of 10 higher than SARS. And, some of the deaths were in what were considered "mild" cases of COVID-19. So the mechanism of the virulence factors appears to be different, though the elderly seem to be more at risk, which is normal.

Unfortunately, the best thing anyone can do is stay calm, take some zinc + copper supplements, and wash your hands constantly. Every time you get home from being outside, wash your hands. We have to sit and wait and see.

theimage13
02-29-2020, 09:34 AM
No. It's frustrating because most of your post was rather logical, but you don't get to make up statistics to make your point. That isn't how science works. The current influenza has a mortality rate of about 0.1%, COVID-19 is at 2.3%. That is not 1000% more, that's 20 times more.

Just going with what's been reported. 2.3% is one number that has been released (it's cited by many as the "official", but it's just one number that has been entered into the equation. But fine, we'll use that number. That's 2,300% more than the influenza's rate of 0.1%. I was tired, I used simplified underestimates.

https://www.newsweek.com/coronavirus-mortality-rate-covid-19-fatalities-ebola-sars-mers-1489466

For the new coronavirus, which causes a disease called COVID-19, the average mortality rate is estimated to be in the range of 1 to 3 percent, Mike Tildesley, associate professor in the department of Life Sciences at the University of Warwick told Newsweek.

Magnetic
02-29-2020, 09:52 AM
Just going with what's been reported. 2.3% is one number that has been released (it's cited by many as the "official", but it's just one number that has been entered into the equation. But fine, we'll use that number. That's a 23,000% more than the influenza's rate of 0.1%. I was tired, I used simplified underestimates.

[/FONT]

Gah, your original estimate was correct. I was wrong; I apologize.

Say 0.1% of 10,000 = 10
2.3% of 10,000 = 230
Therefore, 2300% of 10 would be 230, thus it's 2300% (23x) more mortality. I had confused percentage vs log scale.

An interesting case study is the Diamond Princess cruise ship, which had 3711 people on board. Of them, 705 were determined to have the virus (19%), and of those cases 6 died, which is 0.8%. That's surprising given the demographics of cruise ships, which tend to be older, 50+.

That said...
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/why-its-too-early-to-compare-covid-19-with-the-flu

And, this is interesting
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

theimage13
02-29-2020, 10:40 AM
All I know is I'm still a little relieved that they finally canceled our Korean job. I still don't look forward to flying a whole bunch throughout the rest of the year, but that has nothing to do with the virus. I just hate flying.

Magnetic
02-29-2020, 11:41 AM
I hate flying as well. A friend of mine in South Korea left about 5 days ago, when the CDC raised the flag.

ltrandazzo
02-29-2020, 01:00 PM
I’ve changed the thread title since this has gone global. Also, the first American living in the US has died from the coronavirus in Washington state.

chuckrh
02-29-2020, 01:14 PM
I’ve changed the thread title since this has gone global. Also, the first American living in the US has died from the coronavirus in Washington state.
thanks. didn't think using "like" was appropriate

allegate
02-29-2020, 01:59 PM
I live in WA and work at a hospital. not in a patient way but I do have to deal with a lot of the new protocols they're working on. expiration dates no longer matter.

bobbie solo
02-29-2020, 02:22 PM
So uh... will I get the virus if I rewatch Corona Capital NIN stream?

https://media0.giphy.com/media/l35H2vj7mMgVaYkA1s/giphy.gif

chuckrh
02-29-2020, 03:43 PM
I live in WA and work at a hospital. not in a patient way but I do have to deal with a lot of the new protocols they're working on. expiration dates no longer matter.

i live in seattle. the shit is getting more real all the time.

cdm
02-29-2020, 05:00 PM
NYC can now test. (Soon)

1233851346912149506 (https://twitter.com/nychealthcommr/status/1233851346912149506?s=21)

Magnetic
02-29-2020, 05:18 PM
Just uh....48-49 states to go?

chuckrh
02-29-2020, 05:21 PM
NYC can now test. (Soon)

1233851346912149506 (https://twitter.com/nychealthcommr/status/1233851346912149506?s=21)

should help wall street. priorities

allegate
03-02-2020, 01:33 PM
https://twitter.com/komonews/status/1234558039845265408

shit, another one died since I saw that.

https://twitter.com/komonews/status/1234562059506876416

ryanmcfly
03-02-2020, 01:52 PM
So anyone stocking up on food yet?

cdm
03-02-2020, 01:58 PM
should help wall street. priorities

Or the roughly eight and a half million people that live in the 5 boroughs...whichever.

As for the 6 deaths in WA, 4 are from or linked to the nursing home outbreak in Kirkland.

1234564724815056896 (https://twitter.com/ColeMillerTV/status/1234564724815056896?s=20httphttps://twitter.com/ColeMillerTV/status/1234564724815056896?s=20s://twitter.com/ColeMillerTV/status/1234564724815056896?s=20)

ickyvicky
03-02-2020, 02:02 PM
Since there is now a confirmed case in NY, one of our teachers at my job has emailed us asking what steps are we taking to protect our employees from the Coronavirus. My bosses are now working on writing a statement to put out on our website.

cdm
03-02-2020, 02:04 PM
So anyone stocking up on food yet?

Nah but that could change if cases in the tri-state explode and closures start to happen.

ryanmcfly
03-02-2020, 02:20 PM
Nah but that could change if cases in the tri-state explode and closures start to happen.

Makes sense. We've just been getting some extra non perishables each time we go to the store just in case.

ickyvicky
03-02-2020, 02:24 PM
Makes sense. We've just been getting some extra non perishables each time we go to the store just in case.

Same. I just bought some extra cat litter and food too.

SM Rollinger
03-02-2020, 02:41 PM
Same. I just bought some extra cat litter and food too.

I'm more concerned about my cat running out of food than I am lol.

I stocked up, 2 months worth of food.

allegate
03-02-2020, 02:56 PM
same here. told my wife to go slow but ramp up the canned goods. either we're prepared or we're eating out of cans over the summer.

versusreality
03-02-2020, 03:03 PM
Since there is now a confirmed case in NY, one of our teachers at my job has emailed us asking what steps are we taking to protect our employees from the Coronavirus. My bosses are now working on writing a statement to put out on our website.
teacher in NJ (right across the river from NYC) . we got an email from our principal last night about it. also, a field trip tomorrow was cancelled for precautionary reasons.

allegate
03-02-2020, 05:05 PM
Thoughts and prayers, because that’s always been so effective.

https://twitter.com/thomaschattwill/status/1234252762055090176

Magnetic
03-02-2020, 05:29 PM
Oh for fuck's sake.

bryan_NIN65
03-02-2020, 06:06 PM
So.......i love the scary news,lol. I touch china stuff every day that comes on a cargo ship overseas, my company is owned by a Chinese gentlemen who fly back and fourth all the time he just got back last month and if getting ready to head back to China. I am not really worried and the virus. Ebola anyone?

ManBurning
03-02-2020, 06:13 PM
Ebola anyone?

There is a huge difference between this and Ebola. Ebola was contained to Africa for the most part. This is worldwide. This spreads faster. Doesn't have as high as a mortality rate, but if Ebola went worldwide like this this, you'd be singing a different tune.

Either way, 6 dead in Seattle now. Curious what Washington states actual numbers are.

Seattle refuses to pull the plug on its annual emerald city Comic-Con in 2 weeks. Should be interesting to see how this spreads with that. Guy from my work is gonna be going there. my manager is still stuck in China too. Her flight was cancelled. Rumor is she managed to get a flight and should be back at the end of this week.

The louve in paris has shut down in attempts to control this. You're going to start seeing a lot of festivals/events/monuments/museums etc shutting down and cancelling their events the next few weeks.

I don't see this going away like the seasonal flu either. This thing is here to stay for 2020 well into the summer.

Time to set up base in Antarctica or Greenland, lol.

bryan_NIN65
03-02-2020, 06:16 PM
Oh, and yes bad Ebola joke, but Ebola got closer to me (500miles). This sucks as all sickness but I'm gonna get to worried.

versusreality
03-02-2020, 06:59 PM
my gf's mom's co-worker:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/dhs-worker-china-coronavirus-quarantine-newark/2020/02/28/e8f6c73c-5a85-11ea-8753-73d96000faae_story.html

ManBurning
03-02-2020, 11:36 PM
my gf's mom's co-worker:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/dhs-worker-china-coronavirus-quarantine-newark/2020/02/28/e8f6c73c-5a85-11ea-8753-73d96000faae_story.html

The incubation period is said to be as long as 27 days now, so the 14 day quarantine is pretty useless IMO.

But yeah, that's wrong of the company for making her go back to work immediately after being in China. my manager is still stuck there, but my company is telling us once she does come back, they're gonna have her work from home for a couple weeks first.

So, good on the employee for trying to grieve it. It's a health and safety issue. But I mean, employees are going to start abusing it though. What is the right or wrong approach to this?

We're most likely going to cancel our trip to germany in May, but what if I didn't? Traveling to Europe is kind of a grey area. I mean, Italy is out of control. Traveling to an infected part of the world is on you, are you entitled to getting an extra 2 weeks off to sit at home before going back to work? Some people don't have the luxury of doing that.

Pretty soon none of this will matter anyway, it'll be everywhere and there will be no escaping it and everyone will be sick at home anyway. I heard 70% of the world is probably going to contract it at some point or another.

ickyvicky
03-03-2020, 10:12 AM
The second case in NY is in my area :-/

ekrekel
03-03-2020, 02:56 PM
I'm more concerned about my cat running out of food than I am lol......

I would be too, not going to like it when it starts chewing your face while you sleep.

allegate
03-03-2020, 04:46 PM
https://is3-ssl.mzstatic.com/image/thumb/Publication123/v4/51/b4/e0/51b4e080-6b59-ca44-13f3-13bf6648597d/source/600x600bb.jpg

versusreality
03-03-2020, 05:19 PM
honestly considering not booking my august vacation. I usually go down the shore every summer, have been since I was a kid in the early 90's. but I have no idea what things will be like in the summer with this. will it spread everywhere? get worse? do we know if it's seasonal.

I feel like not taking any risks...

allegro
03-03-2020, 06:32 PM
https://twitter.com/gbandel/status/1234938496449728514?s=21

chuckrh
03-03-2020, 06:43 PM
There is a huge difference between this and Ebola. Ebola was contained to Africa for the most part. This is worldwide. This spreads faster. Doesn't have as high as a mortality rate, but if Ebola went worldwide like this this, you'd be singing a different tune.

Either way, 6 dead in Seattle now. Curious what Washington states actual numbers are.

Seattle refuses to pull the plug on its annual emerald city Comic-Con in 2 weeks. Should be interesting to see how this spreads with that. Guy from my work is gonna be going there. my manager is still stuck in China too. Her flight was cancelled. Rumor is she managed to get a flight and should be back at the end of this week.

The louve in paris has shut down in attempts to control this. You're going to start seeing a lot of festivals/events/monuments/museums etc shutting down and cancelling their events the next few weeks.

I don't see this going away like the seasonal flu either. This thing is here to stay for 2020 well into the summer.

Time to set up base in Antarctica or Greenland, lol.

there is cdc investigation going on. the numbers in washington are most likely much worse, perhaps like milan. they figure the virus has been here since early on (given all the trade with asia) & there wasn't testing available. the governor has declared state of emergency. very nervous times as i am right in the middle of the high risk group. been on phone all day with doctors, etc. i have some very specific instructions. most likely going to have to stop some meds that are suppressing my immune system. it's gonna hurt.

versusreality
03-03-2020, 06:55 PM
as I was talking to my co-worker today...

we have many students in our building who we know are neglected by their parents- they don't get taken to doctors when they're sick. heck, the parents don't even take themselves when they're sick. some don't even have insurance. so how many cases around the country, the world, are diagnosed?

cdm
03-03-2020, 07:09 PM
very nervous times as i am right in the middle of the high risk group. been on phone all day with doctors, etc. i have some very specific instructions. most likely going to have to stop some meds that are suppressing my immune system. it's gonna hurt.

Shit. Best wishes to you. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that.

ManBurning
03-04-2020, 02:34 AM
Coronavirus world tour t-shirts for sale, because... ya'll know someone was going to capitalize on this eventually.

https://coronavirus.turnedmetal.com/

Haysey_Draws
03-04-2020, 06:33 AM
So after being in a hospital for a week and being off work on compassionate leave for another when i finally came back my office (in central London) is in FULL Virus alert. Signs EVERYWHERE about not touching your mouth/nose/eyes, wash your hands (this shouldn't need to be said honestly), keep distance from people coughing etc. We're taking this VERY seriously.

Something i have seen pointed out though, we have a government statement explaining what to do if you think you have it here and it's covered by the NHS...but what is happening in the US? Are people having to pay to be tested if they aren't insured? Because that would REALLY not help in containing this virus.

tricil
03-04-2020, 08:20 AM
Something i have seen pointed out though, we have a government statement explaining what to do if you think you have it here and it's covered by the NHS...but what is happening in the US? Are people having to pay to be tested if they aren't insured? Because that would REALLY not help in containing this virus.

heh: https://twitter.com/into_the_brush/status/1234685467682979840?s=21

cdm
03-04-2020, 08:20 AM

A really funny / not-at-all funny thing is happening in the US: Republicans are now being faced with a crisis where they have to support socialized medicine for under and non-insured. It's exactly the situation they've been deriding and calling unnecessary for months and years. They've peddled the notion that everyone has insurance and loves their plan so the government has no place in healthcare. Well now they are faced with a situation where the majority of their electorate is at-risk (due to age) and a sizable portion is under-insured. They're having to grapple with that and it would be hilarious if lives weren't at risk.

At the state, local, employer level, from my view, people seem to be taking it with appropriate seriousness (edit) but they are handcuffed at the federal level...the thread @tricil (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3295) posted above highlights that. That said, I live in a state with no **known** cases. The proactive measures seem to be there. Many states can now test for themselves and individual doctors can order the test without consulting CDC << Those two developments are very recent (this week) and will be key to containing this. In the short term this isn't going to be overcome by medicine but by data points. The more tests = more data. They can turn that data into containment plans. That has been severely lacking so far while countries like South Korea are organizing drive-up testing centers.

As far as who pays for it...that part seems to be in flux and will probably in debate for weeks and weeks to come.

hellospaceboy
03-04-2020, 08:27 AM
would it be better or worse if he pukes on someone à la Bush the First?

Better!!!

allegate
03-04-2020, 08:37 AM
I should be surprised by this but yet I cannot muster the energy.

https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets/status/1235017199594680320

chuckrh
03-04-2020, 08:41 AM
A really funny / not-at-all funny thing is happening in the US: Republicans are now being faced with a crisis where they have to support socialized medicine for under and non-insured. It's exactly the situation they've been deriding and calling unnecessary for months and years. They've peddled the notion that everyone has insurance and loves their plan so the government has no place in healthcare. Well now they are faced with a situation where the majority of their electorate is at-risk (due to age) and a sizable portion is under-insured. They're having to grapple with that and it would be hilarious if lives weren't at risk.

At the state, local, employer level, from my view, people seem to be taking it with appropriate seriousness (edit) but they are handcuffed at the federal level...the thread @tricil (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3295) posted above highlights that. That said, I live in a state with no **known** cases. The proactive measures seem to be there. Many states can now test for themselves and individual doctors can order the test without consulting CDC << Those two developments are very recent (this week) and will be key to containing this. In the short term this isn't going to be overcome by medicine but by data points. The more tests = more data. They can turn that data into containment plans. That has been severely lacking so far while countries like South Korea are organizing drive-up testing centers.

As far as who pays for it...that part seems to be in flux and will probably in debate for weeks and weeks to come.

in washington state there are criteria regarding who gets tested due to lack of testing capacity. after consulting with my doctor yesterday, there is a significant chance that i have the virus but not quite enough to get tested. it could be side effects of some meds. i've been given very specific instructions on how to proceed. while i haven't officially been put in quarantine i'm treating it like i have in the interest of everyone's safety. even if i don't have it, i'm still in the high risk group. 2 of my favorite bands are playing in separate shows in 2 weeks (wilco & drive-by truckers) & i'm writing them off. kind of bummed about it as i don't really go out much but can't be helped obviously. for a bit of historical perspective i would suggest looking into the spanish flu of 1918 especially in philadelphia. while we are better off than we used to be in some ways we aren't. everyone stay safe & smart out there. it can't hurt.

Haysey_Draws
03-04-2020, 08:50 AM

Well...fuck! That thread was a real eye opener! Thanks for the answers, and i hope none of you have to get tested!

Magnetic
03-04-2020, 08:58 AM
in washington state there are criteria regarding who gets tested due to lack of testing capacity. after consulting with my doctor yesterday, there is a significant chance that i have the virus but not quite enough to get tested. it could be side effects of some meds. i've been given very specific instructions on how to proceed. while i haven't officially been put in quarantine i'm treating it like i have in the interest of everyone's safety. even if i don't have it, i'm still in the high risk group. 2 of my favorite bands are playing in separate shows in 2 weeks (wilco & drive-by truckers) & i'm writing them off. kind of bummed about it as i don't really go out much but can't be helped obviously. for a bit of historical perspective i would suggest looking into the spanish flu of 1918 especially in philadelphia. while we are better off than we used to be in some ways we aren't. everyone stay safe & smart out there. it can't hurt.

Oh shit man, I'm sorry. I hope they keep a good watch on you.

ickyvicky
03-04-2020, 09:50 AM
How I'm greeting people from now on

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AdventurousDarlingFennecfox-size_restricted.gif?fbclid=IwAR2kKa-5sBYlKA_yXX_27G3qeuYq0hj9fnYIA7bYElWDDS1rNXgFW4H_F Hs

cdm
03-04-2020, 01:32 PM
These numbers aren't great but it's getting better. It would be interesting to know if other states are helping supplement Washington state's capacity given the severity.

cdm
03-04-2020, 01:56 PM
Are people having to pay to be tested if they aren't insured?

NYC just released a series of statements that included the following: "...facilities are open to all needing medical attention regardless of insurance status or ability to pay." In other cities / states this still may be a YMMV situation.

Sarah K
03-04-2020, 01:59 PM
They're making us force all study abroad students in impacted areas to return. And making us cancel ALL upcoming study abroad trips no matter the location.

Students are going to be out thousands and thousands of dollars that they already don't have. Breaking leases, lost tuition (and class credit), not getting the experience they signed up for... All over unnecessary panic. Thanks Cuomo.

allegro
03-04-2020, 02:02 PM
We have a friend who's an American Air Traffic Controller working as a trainer in Frankfort, Germany.

The facility, there, stopped all tours.

And, if you leave the country for any travel, you basically can't get back in for the foreseeable future.

This, of course, ended any of his vacation plans to come home and visit his 84-yr-old Mom in the U.S. for a while.

Edit: Now he's telling us that he CAN visit his Mom because she's in Texas, and there's no Covid-19 in Texas? But, if he visits anywhere except Texas, he would have to self-quarantine for a few weeks. Not sure about pay.

allegro
03-04-2020, 02:09 PM
Really interesting article:

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/2/21161067/coronavirus-covid19-china

allegro
03-04-2020, 02:48 PM
https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1235258247034138626?s=20

https://twitter.com/rexchapman/status/1235252608845197314?s=21

allegate
03-04-2020, 05:18 PM
hey guys, if you're looking at Dean Koontz as the guy who knew this was coming maybe reassess your critical-thinking skills a little.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/coronavirus-dean-koontz-eyes-of-darkness-conspiracy-wuhan-china-symptoms-a9364386.html

Magtig
03-04-2020, 05:29 PM
This website is tracking the virus the way the government should be. It's updated every 10 minutes, has maps, prep recommendations, and information on the virus. My apologies if it's already been posted (I didn't see it).

https://ncov2019.live/data

allegate
03-04-2020, 10:31 PM
Nextdoor posts make me want to rip hair out, not usually my own though.

POSSIBLE CORONAVIRUS- xxxxxxxxxxx HS

I was told that a student at xxxxxxxxxxx school’s dad just got back from China and is currently being tested for the coronavirus. I was told that apparently the student is still attending school but the school does not know at this time. I tried to call them but unfortunately they are closed. I have already reached out to county redacted health department about this to verify.

I know there’s a lot of false information going around but this is something that we need to at least find out to ensure the school knows.Jesus. stay the fuck out of people's business. is this the new Salem witch trial, where you can just start slandering people for no reason? also, this is his 'proof':
Daughter who is friends with student. That is all I can say.dolt.

allegro
03-04-2020, 11:24 PM
Wtf. I had to get off of NextDoor because of the nutcases. This is a good example. I hate neighbors.

Haysey_Draws
03-05-2020, 02:30 AM
How I'm greeting people from now on

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AdventurousDarlingFennecfox-size_restricted.gif?fbclid=IwAR2kKa-5sBYlKA_yXX_27G3qeuYq0hj9fnYIA7bYElWDDS1rNXgFW4H_F Hs

Can we make this the norm for greetings from now on?

chuckrh
03-05-2020, 02:37 AM
The capacity for testing in Washington state just got a huge boost. The labs at the University of Washington have been approved for testing & it looks like they can handle 1000 tests a day (I could be off on this figure as this was from tv news. Capacity is greatly increased though). They are even taking work from other states. Lots of other efforts being made here. Let's hope that progress will be made before this gets more out of control.

ManBurning
03-05-2020, 04:25 AM
Can we make this the norm for greetings from now on?

I know. This is amazing isn't it.
I'm gonna try this at work next time someone wants to shake my hand lol.

There is a manager at my work that needs to fist bump you every single time he sees you. It gets old having to run to the sink to wash your hands every 3 hours lol.

Magnetic
03-05-2020, 07:06 AM
Woot! Go Florida. Three cases in my region. :rolleyes:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/01/22/mapping-spread-new-coronavirus/?arc404=true

halo eighteen
03-05-2020, 07:24 AM
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/health/florida-coronavirus/fl-ne-coronavirus-ultra-canceled-20200305-43f7d7buejgobpsuvaepqkwroe-story.html
(https://www.orlandosentinel.com/health/florida-coronavirus/fl-ne-coronavirus-ultra-canceled-20200305-43f7d7buejgobpsuvaepqkwroe-story.html)
Miami's Ultra festival is canceled, holy fuck.

Kodiak33
03-05-2020, 08:03 AM
Next up Coachella probably...UGH. I'm curious to see how much money I'm going to lose on plane tix and hotel if Coachella is canceled.

Magnetic
03-05-2020, 08:49 AM
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/health/florida-coronavirus/fl-ne-coronavirus-ultra-canceled-20200305-43f7d7buejgobpsuvaepqkwroe-story.html
(https://www.orlandosentinel.com/health/florida-coronavirus/fl-ne-coronavirus-ultra-canceled-20200305-43f7d7buejgobpsuvaepqkwroe-story.html)
Miami's Ultra festival is canceled, holy fuck.

I find this weird because Miami doesn't even have one case of COVID-19 yet. The three reported are the Tampa Bay area. That said, Miami was heavily impacted by the Zika virus, so maybe they're trying to prevent damage to their tourism industry.

Mantra
03-05-2020, 09:39 AM
I love our dumbfuck President. Dude really knows how to handle stuff.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1235411751950221312

SM Rollinger
03-05-2020, 11:42 AM
I find this weird because Miami doesn't even have one case of COVID-19 yet. The three reported are the Tampa Bay area. That said, Miami was heavily impacted by the Zika virus, so maybe they're trying to prevent damage to their tourism industry.

Shit I forgot all about Zika virus.

Man, SARS, West Nile, Avian Bird Flu, Mad Cow out break at Jack in the Box back in the day, end is neigh fellas!

paul_is_dead
03-05-2020, 01:20 PM
https://twitter.com/nineinchnails/status/1235644961007079424

tricil
03-05-2020, 01:43 PM
https://twitter.com/nineinchnails/status/1235644961007079424

Ok where’s the inevitable “surprises in store” speculation splinter thread?

allegate
03-05-2020, 02:03 PM
work just sent out a note about telework and they actually put this in it which shows forethought on their part that I didn't think was possible:
Supervisors should not expect employees to telework if they are ill, even if their position is suitable for telework.

cdm
03-05-2020, 02:44 PM
Our son is in pre-K in a school with infant thru kindergarten...a lot of kids from a lot of adjacent towns, teachers from a couple towns away. I'm starting to get nervous because one confirmed case in the school and it could be quarantine-city over here.

Siah13
03-05-2020, 03:30 PM
Two confirmed cases where I live... Multiple two hours south and a couple 3 hours East and 1, 6 hours North. Everyone here already had a horrible friggin cold and/or flu! My poor oldest son got a cold and he goes "Oh no Mom! I have Coron-Ohs virOhs" LOL. I had to explain to him that he will be overhearing all sorts of things but that he is fine and will continue to be okay and the Coron-Ohs VirOhs isn't coming for him. How sad his little heart was so concerned about it! We don't even have regular cable or tv in our home and we're even careful with things we discuss around our kids :/

Magnetic
03-05-2020, 05:26 PM
Just saw on my FB feed that T + A have pulled out of the SXSW Watchmen talks?
"We’re sorry we won’t be giving our Watchmen keynote at SXSW this year (because we had some surprises in store!) However, it was the right decision. We will see you soon - be safe and smart.
-T+A"

tricil
03-05-2020, 06:34 PM
Just saw on my FB feed that T + A have pulled out of the SXSW Watchmen talks?
"We’re sorry we won’t be giving our Watchmen keynote at SXSW this year (because we had some surprises in store!) However, it was the right decision. We will see you soon - be safe and smart.
-T+A"

Like, five posts up, man.

Magnetic
03-05-2020, 08:05 PM
Sorry man. It's been a crazy exciting day for me. I finally sat through a second interview after being unemployed for 4 months. I was fired up.
Lo siento.

Sarah K
03-05-2020, 08:09 PM
I was set to have my first full hour, individual time slot at an academic conference next week. Impossible for most Master's students and would have set me miles apart from other PhD applicants this fall.

Cancelled.

tricil
03-05-2020, 08:13 PM
Sorry man. It's been a crazy exciting day for me. I finally sat through a second interview after being unemployed for 4 months. I was fired up.
Lo siento.

Congrats on your interview!

Magnetic
03-05-2020, 08:24 PM
Thanks! Fingers crossed.

theimage13
03-05-2020, 08:41 PM
With California declaring a state of emergency, I'm worried about Coachella. It's one of our biggest jobs of the year. I mercifully got pulled off it for a different job anyway, but a lot of good people are going to be out of a month's work if that goes south (not to mention the company itself taking a huge hit).

Meanwhile, this week I've been starting up meetings with some of my Korean counterparts who just flew over. They seem remarkably relaxed about everything. Not a mask to be seen. Let's see how this shakes out.

ManBurning
03-05-2020, 09:41 PM
Well... no more concerts for a while...

"According to the New Zealand Herald (https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12314491), a man infected with coronavirus attended the TOOL concert in Auckland on February 28. He may have been infectious at the time. He was in the general admission standing area in the front left-hand quadrant at Spark Arena."

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/tool-fan-who-tested-positive-for-coronavirus-attended-bands-concert-in-auckland/?fbclid=IwAR3xd20VqU-jOe5LSo-pcomRTBP3vE_Wk_bYjCCuarOfB_zUv6OeKTNgV5U

ManBurning
03-05-2020, 11:37 PM
https://scontent.fyvr3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/89003721_2917488664956769_4726761884642967552_n.jp g?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_oc=AQnD_9LOchPsQYb1eY8xcIiRVPisFrF-oPtfhBVtP0ENQ5huwsqcOPfrWBETmdfuOys&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr3-1.fna&oh=3ab313779f05546744ebec342a3437fa&oe=5E99F59A

Haysey_Draws
03-06-2020, 04:55 AM
So i have a couple of observations in London...

First i overheard a women on the train telling her partner about her job. She works at an events firm (didn't catch which, i was eavesdropping which i shouldn't really be doing but it's kinda impossible to avoid on public transport) anyway life was good, they were doing lots of awards shows, business was booming and they had bonuses coming...until today. The CEO (from america on skype) has a big talk with everyone. Due to the virus all international travel is cancelled and, more importantly, all events from April to June are cancelled. The next part is the real kicker, as they are an events based firm that is there main revenue, and as a result 80% of the staff have to be made redundant in order to see out til July...i'd like to say this was hyperbole, bt the women was very upset and was on the list to go. Now that is scary, but what annoyed me more was that the company had NO emergency funds to get them through 3 months, despite the company (from the women's explanation) doing really well and promising bonuses.

Second, people in London are really fucking stupid. People are now standing at train doors waiting for someone else to push the door open button because they are scared to touch it...I'M NOT JOKING. I was standing behind a crowd of people just standing there looking at each other this morning before i just pushed through and hit it. Christ on a bike. Also not related to the virus i saw a women on the way home using an iPad as an umbrella...i swear people are getting dumber!

Third, this is going to have a massive knock on effect to cinema. As someone that goes alot i cannot see with who people are currently acting in London many will be flocking to sit in a large room with many possibly ill people. I'm seeing Onward tomorrow and i have a feeling i'll be on my own.

And forth, there are some reports claiming if things get worse Funerals will have to be live streamed...and seeing as i'm burying my grandad in 2 and a half weeks i really don't know how to feel about that...

cdm
03-06-2020, 11:46 AM
Many states can now test for themselves and individual doctors can order the test without consulting CDC << Those two developments are very recent (this week) and will be key to containing this. In the short term this isn't going to be overcome by medicine but by data points. The more tests = more data. They can turn that data into containment plans. That has been severely lacking so far while countries like South Korea are organizing drive-up testing centers.

Here is an interesting article regarding testing in the US: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/how-many-americans-have-been-tested-coronavirus/607597/

Also seeing a lot of anecdotal accounts from nurses and doctors saying they still cannot order tests, despite the guidance earlier this week saying they could. Most egregious may be health professionals themselves being denied testing.

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-03-06/chaos-at-hospitals-due-to-shortage-of-coronavirus-tests

The doctor said another suspected coronavirus patient was a transplant nurse, whose job is to work with immune-deficient patients. “I said, ‘Come on! Please! We need to test her!’”

And of course the nurse in northern California

october_midnight
03-06-2020, 01:48 PM
Seattle's Emerald City Comic Con postponed to an as-yet announced later 2020 date.

Siah13
03-06-2020, 02:27 PM
Well, since my post at 1:30 yesterday they announced that over 30 of our local hospital's employees are being quarantined, including the above-mentioned nurse... Local companies are beginning to close (Keysight first).. Basic supplies are going out of stock.. It feels like a flood year around here! (We get those) HAHA. :eek: I'm intrigued by observing other people's reactions/actions and what happens when this sort of thing happens... Not quite pandemonium but as things escalate here it's fascinating... creepy as well...

ManBurning
03-06-2020, 02:28 PM
Seattle's Emerald City Comic Con postponed to an as-yet announced later 2020 date.

Guy on my team at work that was going is going to be choked, but it's the responsible thing to do.

cdm
03-06-2020, 04:06 PM

chuckrh
03-06-2020, 04:13 PM
here's a disheartening story. could be a long summer.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/why-america-is-so-vulnerable-to-coronavirus/ar-BB10G2vv

Magnetic
03-06-2020, 04:20 PM
As a scientist, I am SOOOO damn sick of reading "...is in our DNA." No....no, it isn't. Would people PLEASE stop using this bullshit phrase.
/sorry/ end rant.

Back to the usually scheduled discussion

chuckrh
03-06-2020, 05:42 PM
here is an interesting piece

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/why-america-is-so-vulnerable-to-coronavirus/ar-BB10G2vv

versusreality
03-06-2020, 07:20 PM
someone at my gf's mom's job officially has it (another person was suspected previously) . works at a federal building in NJ. not sure if it'll make the news. mostly everyone evacuated.

cdm
03-06-2020, 07:50 PM
someone at my gf's mom's job officially has it (another person was suspected previously) . works at a federal building in NJ. not sure if it'll make the news. mostly everyone evacuated.

They’ve announced a 4th confirmed case (3 in north Jerz and 1 near philly) in NJ and there’s word of a fifth but awaiting state lab results. I’m sure it will trickle out. The NJ is testing but they still have to send samples to CDC for final confirmation so there’s been a lag of 24ish hours before they officially confirm cases.

chuckrh
03-07-2020, 07:22 AM
a brief respite into the realm of dark humour: who is Randall Flagg, Trump or Pence?