PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Coronavirus

ManBurning
01-24-2020, 01:45 PM
I'm surprised nobody here is talking about this.
It's been in the news up here in Canada nonstop like every minute of the day.

2nd US case discovered today, in Chicago.
Other case in Seattle.

Here is an interactive map that shows where the infected places in the world are:
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

A few days ago, confirmed cases were only at 300 and the death toll was only at 9 and at the time of writing this, it's 939 cases and 26 dead.

This is scary shit. It's SARS 2.0 all over again, but this time seems worse.

What's even scarier is, my manager at work is currently on vacation in China right now... I hope she doesn't bring this shit back with her!!
But, as far as I'm concerned, it's already here.

october_midnight
01-24-2020, 02:34 PM
nvm

theimage13
01-24-2020, 03:51 PM
Is this the sister ailment to Lyme Disease?

allegro
01-24-2020, 09:12 PM
Is this the sister ailment to Lyme Disease?

Corona virus passes from animals to people.

This particular one started with people selling illegal wild animals in a market.

SARS was one (wild cats to humans), as was MERS (camels to humans). Or maybe bats to humans.

Corona is named for its appearance under a microscope.

theimage13
01-25-2020, 06:12 AM
Corona virus passes from animals to people.

This particular one started with people selling illegal wild animals in a market.

SARS was one (wild cats to humans), as was MERS (camels to humans). Or maybe bats to humans.

Corona is named for its appearance under a microscope.

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-8bc9c9e378b71a71e39e8b6c39df9396-c

Guess that joke was dumb enough that I should have clarified it. (And if anyone finds it in bad taste to joke about this, just realize that some people use dark humor as a way to deal with things that they find creepy.)

Mantra
01-25-2020, 11:20 AM
Actually, I was wondering if the marketing people for Corona beer have been having emergency meetings to figure out if this is gonna damage their brand or hurt their sales.

thelastdisciple
01-25-2020, 06:00 PM
Officials are thinking someone in a Toronto, Ontario hospital has the virus now.

God damn it!

https://globalnews.ca/news/6462626/coronavirus-toronto-hospital/?utm_medium=Twitter&utm_source=%40globalnewsto

october_midnight
01-25-2020, 06:10 PM
This thread, man.... damn.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1220919589623803905

marodi
01-25-2020, 06:54 PM
The biggest threat to humans (besides other humans) has always been viruses. The Black Death, the Spanish Flu, smallpox...

Another deadly pandemic that will kill hundred of thousands of people is not "freaking out", it's inevitable.

As a depressed, cynical misanthrope, I say bring it on.

botley
01-25-2020, 09:14 PM
I'm seeing a lot of racism and paranoia. Go figure!

allegate
01-25-2020, 09:38 PM
watching Contagion with my son because they're talking about this in school. he's right proper freaked out and we're barely halfway through it.

thelastdisciple
01-25-2020, 11:02 PM
I'm seeing a lot of racism and paranoia. Go figure!
Yeah lots of those "this is why we shouldn't let everyone in to our county" comments, it's pretty sad.

Demogorgon
01-25-2020, 11:37 PM
Yeah lots of those "this is why we shouldn't let everyone in to our county" comments, it's pretty sad.

Ironic, considering how badly domestic anti-vaxxers seem to want us all to get measles and mumps and tuberculosis all over again.

botley
01-26-2020, 12:12 AM
Did everyone reading this get a flu shot for the year ahead? Maybe take a second out of your day to go and do that.

allegate
01-26-2020, 12:50 AM
well the tin-foil brigade is out, saying there's a huge biowarfare lab in the province this started in. seems like if it were engineered they did a piss-poor job of it since the mortality rate seems to be pretty low at the moment.

i think that Xi Jinping already talking about this means it's actually much worse than what's out there officially

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/chinese-leader-warns-of-accelerating-spread-of-deadly-coronavirus/2020/01/25/6409bc78-3f8c-11ea-baca-eb7ace0a3455_story.html

but this just doesn't seem like it's going lead to anything good

Japan, expecting 400,000 Chinese tourists this week, advised staff at airports and shops to wear face masks while serving customers, something usually considered inappropriate for public-facing employees. Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said airlines arriving in Japan had been asked to distribute health surveys and advise customers to report symptoms, while checks had also been stepped up for people arriving by cruise ship.

I guess the US is still receiving flights from there but it just seems like a terrible idea

allegro
01-26-2020, 12:54 AM
Sorry for the levity but this comment made me laugh, “it’s all fun and games until someone gets the plague!” (the plague, rats ... never mind)

https://twitter.com/al60win/status/1220072982455967744?s=21

chuckrh
01-26-2020, 04:12 AM
i spent friday at a hospital having some tests & was asked if i had been out of the country recently. stuff makes me nervous as my immune system is compromised by some meds. looks like going to have to stay in the fortress of solitude for the most part for awhile.

SM Rollinger
01-26-2020, 09:29 AM
well the tin-foil brigade is out, saying there's a huge biowarfare lab in the province this started in. seems like if it were engineered they did a piss-poor job of it since the mortality rate seems to be pretty low at the moment.

Article from 2017 about the lab...
https://www.nature.com/news/inside-the-chinese-lab-poised-to-study-world-s-most-dangerous-pathogens-1.21487

Also mortality rate is low because it has a 2 week incubation period, half the world's population could be infected and we wouldn't know yet.

Mantra
01-26-2020, 12:31 PM
i spent friday at a hospital having some tests & was asked if i had been out of the country recently.

But hasn't this been a pretty standard question for years now? I feel like they ask me this every time I go in for any kind of medical appointment, even if it's for something totally minor.

allegro
01-26-2020, 12:59 PM
I remember reading Defoe’s “A Journal of the Plague Year” and that some people in urban areas escaped to “the countryside” to get away from “the sickness” and everyone thought they were nuts, but it ended up they were totally right; not only because too many people but also because trash, rats, fleas.

China closing down schools, theaters, Disney, and anything “people” isn’t quite boarding people up inside their homes like The Great Plague but they’re taking proper precautions, for sure.

I take precautions by using those wipe thingies at the supermarket to disinfect the cart, and washing my hands like a maniac.

I didn’t get my flu shot this season because I was crazy busy. Bad move. I got sick for the first time in nine years. This is a NASTY flu going around. And I take about 10 vitamins per day and eat healthy. Get the flu shot, the 4-in-1.

I think I got it from a damned elevator I’m in all the time.

theimage13
01-26-2020, 02:10 PM
Did everyone reading this get a flu shot for the year ahead? Maybe take a second out of your day to go and do that.

Why does this virus make you say that?

I get my flu shot every year at the first possible chance, but I don't see the connection between that and this - especially since this year's flu vaccine is one of the least effective in a long, long time (the model they used to develop this year's was way off; the virus popping up in hospitals is generally coming from the B family, and the vaccine was geared mainly if not entirely toward the A family). I still recommend everyone get the shot since a bulletproof vest that covers a fraction of your vital organs is still better than a t-shirt, but I don't see why this would help anybody with regards to this new outbreak.

ManBurning
01-26-2020, 02:10 PM
The Toronto case was confirmed.

Los Angeles case confirmed today.

Just a matter of time til i gets here. Will be in Vancouver by end of the month with all the travel to/from China for the Lunar year. We have a huge Chinese population here.
Last I read, they quarantined about 13 cities in China. No in or out. Including by flight or by road. So that begs the question, how are these people getting through still?

It seems like every case I read about that leaks to another part of the world was from someone who traveled to the infected area.
I feel like they quarantined Wuhan a little too late. The cat had already been let out of the bag at that point.

Canada's "screening process" is also a joke. It's basically the honor system. They ask you if you traveled to an infected area and they ask you if you have any symptoms and that's it. And they take your word if you say no, lol. Anyone can very much lie to carry on with their day.

The city of Vancouver here, cancelled all Chinese New Year festivities and parades yesterday to take precautions even though the virus hasn't been "officially announced" here. So, least they have some street smarts here. Someone could have very well returned with the virus, fell sick and didn't report it or go to a hospital. I wouldn't be surprised if there were many more cases out already just unreported. Not everyone that has a cold or flu goes to the hospital. In fact, they usually train us here NOT to go if you think you just have a cold or flu because there is nothing a dr's office or hospital can do if you have it. Basically tell you to go home and rest.

With this shit, slightly different story since it basically causes pneumonia. I'd be done for if I caught this because I have weak lungs. I had re-occuring collapsed lungs when I was a teenager. Had about 9 cases in a Calendar year. Went for an operation to fix it. They cut out part of the bad lung. I have shortness of breath sometimes, so catching this could be fatal for me.

theimage13
01-26-2020, 02:12 PM
Actually, I was wondering if the marketing people for Corona beer have been having emergency meetings to figure out if this is gonna damage their brand or hurt their sales.

$STZ has been fairy stable in recent weeks. Doesn't seem to be a problem. If anything, the fact that people are talking about Corona more is probably working in their favor. No one would be dumb enough to think the virus has anything to do with the beer, but the beer is getting millions and millions of dollars in free advertising from jokes.

allegate
01-26-2020, 02:19 PM
$STZ has been fairy stable in recent weeks. Doesn't seem to be a problem. If anything, the fact that people are talking about Corona more is probably working in their favor. No one would be dumb enough to think the virus has anything to do with the beer, but the beer is getting millions and millions of dollars in free advertising from jokes.
have you seen the state of the world lately?

chuckrh
01-26-2020, 02:35 PM
But hasn't this been a pretty standard question for years now? I feel like they ask me this every time I go in for any kind of medical appointment, even if it's for something totally minor.

i don't remember being asked that before. i have to spend a lot of time having medicine being practiced on me but mostly with people who know me.

chuckrh
01-26-2020, 02:38 PM
The Toronto case was confirmed.

Los Angeles case confirmed today.

Just a matter of time til i gets here. Will be in Vancouver by end of the month with all the travel to/from China for the Lunar year. We have a huge Chinese population here.
Last I read, they quarantined about 13 cities in China. No in or out. Including by flight or by road. So that begs the question, how are these people getting through still?

It seems like every case I read about that leaks to another part of the world was from someone who traveled to the infected area.
I feel like they quarantined Wuhan a little too late. The cat had already been let out of the bag at that point.

Canada's "screening process" is also a joke. It's basically the honor system. They ask you if you traveled to an infected area and they ask you if you have any symptoms and that's it. And they take your word if you say no, lol. Anyone can very much lie to carry on with their day.

The city of Vancouver here, cancelled all Chinese New Year festivities and parades yesterday to take precautions even though the virus hasn't been "officially announced" here. So, least they have some street smarts here. Someone could have very well returned with the virus, fell sick and didn't report it or go to a hospital. I wouldn't be surprised if there were many more cases out already just unreported. Not everyone that has a cold or flu goes to the hospital. In fact, they usually train us here NOT to go if you think you just have a cold or flu because there is nothing a dr's office or hospital can do if you have it. Basically tell you to go home and rest.

With this shit, slightly different story since it basically causes pneumonia. I'd be done for if I caught this because I have weak lungs. I had re-occuring collapsed lungs when I was a teenager. Had about 9 cases in a Calendar year. Went for an operation to fix it. They cut out part of the bad lung. I have shortness of breath sometimes, so catching this could be fatal for me.

same thing is happening in seattle with lunar new year events

theimage13
01-26-2020, 02:47 PM
have you seen the state of the world lately?

Yes, but people are being stupid about boring things that don't matter, like education and women's rights and the overall health of the planet's ecosystem. They still pay attention to important things like cheap beer.

(for historians who may find this years from now, for fuck's sake, this is sarcasm of the highest degree)

botley
01-26-2020, 03:10 PM
Why does this virus make you say that?

I get my flu shot every year at the first possible chance, but I don't see the connection between that and this - especially since this year's flu vaccine is one of the least effective in a long, long time (the model they used to develop this year's was way off; the virus popping up in hospitals is generally coming from the B family, and the vaccine was geared mainly if not entirely toward the A family). I still recommend everyone get the shot since a bulletproof vest that covers a fraction of your vital organs is still better than a t-shirt, but I don't see why this would help anybody with regards to this new outbreak.
Good on you for being informed. I believe that act of taking the precaution, seeing it for yourself — a health professional performing the service they are trained for — boosts confidence in their work, and helps with the element of panic. Toronto Public Health (the body that successfully contained an outbreak of SARS cases from spreading in 2003) stated:

[The novel virus] ...has been identified at the same time as local circulation of influenza, also known as the flu, is common in Toronto. Toronto Public Health advises residents to take the usual measures to reduce the risk of the transmission of the flu and respiratory illness:

Get a yearly influenza vaccination, available from clinics and pharmacies.
Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly with soap and water, or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze.
If you don't have a tissue, sneeze or cough into your sleeve or arm.
Stay at home if you are sick.
Flu and respiratory illness symptoms include sudden onset of a high fever, chills, sore throat, cough, muscle aches and difficult breathing. As a reminder, the flu can spread to others before symptoms even appear. Older individuals or individuals with pre-existing medical conditions such as asthma or heart disease are at higher risk of severe illness. If you or a family member have concerns about any symptoms, contact your health care provider.
Do all of that (ie. see a health practitioner, and follow what they say to minimize risk) and your chances of getting deathly sick are probably small.

mfte
01-27-2020, 04:11 PM

see: ISIS

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/after-vandals-hit-isis-store-owner-seeks-distance-terror-group-n465762

theimage13
01-27-2020, 05:49 PM
see: ISIS

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/after-vandals-hit-isis-store-owner-seeks-distance-terror-group-n465762

Yeah, but that's a sign that's got a somewhat Middle-Eastern look to it (makes sense, given the store was named after the Egyptian goddess of life), so a bunch of ignorant racists are going to be drawn to it. I can at least see how someone dumb enough to be that racist would also be dumb enough to not understand that a book store isn't a terrorist organization. It's also entirely possible that all of them were either stoned or drunk (or both) and thought it would be "funny" to trash a place that just happened to share that name, even if they knew there wasn't any relation.

I don't think anyone old enough to drink beer is dumb enough to think that this virus all over the news if FROM a beer, especially since the headlines haven't said anything at all about beer.

ManBurning
01-28-2020, 04:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luztqxUBvZo

Haysey
01-28-2020, 04:50 AM
On a slightly lighter note i've had flu a couple of times in recent months (it knocked me out for most of christmas) so my office have joked a couple of times maybe i'm a carrier. I just coughed and the look of terror someone just gave me made me laugh a bit (don't worry i reassured them i'm fine and we're OK)

Substance242
01-28-2020, 07:25 AM
So, what about Japanese, are they infected?

chuckrh
01-28-2020, 08:03 AM
On a slightly lighter note i've had flu a couple of times in recent months (it knocked me out for most of christmas) so my office have joked a couple of times maybe i'm a carrier. I just coughed and the look of terror someone just gave me made me laugh a bit (don't worry i reassured them i'm fine and we're OK)

i had to stop working last summer because of RA but before then i would have to occasionally wear a SARS mask because of immune system issues. people would freak out! the best part is it got me out of attending a lot of useless meetings in small rooms & attend via phone instead. that meant i could actually work rather than throw away time on business school corporate bullshit.

Erneuert
01-28-2020, 08:40 AM

These are the actual events that Trent foresaw in 2016.

theimage13
01-28-2020, 08:50 AM

https://www.google.com/search?q=coronavirus+japan&oq=coronavirus+japan&aqs=chrome..69i57.3617j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Sorry, that link isn't meant to be a "google it you fuckwit" kind of link, so I hope it's not taken as such. There's just a lot of different layers of answers (beyond the base line "yes, there are confirmed cases in Japan").

cdm
01-28-2020, 09:32 AM
My son is in pre-K and the family of one of his classmates canceled their daughter's birthday party scheduled for this Sunday because of the virus scare. They are Chinese Americans and had invited many other families of Chinese decent. The email said none of the invited guests had recently traveled nor have they had visitors but they were canceling out of an abundance of caution. I hate to think they canceled because some sort of perceived stigma...

theimage13
01-28-2020, 09:46 AM
My son is in pre-K and the family of one of his classmates canceled their daughter's birthday party scheduled for this Sunday because of the virus scare. They are Chinese Americans and had invited many other families of Chinese decent. The email said none of the invited guests had recently traveled nor have they had visitors but they were canceling out of an abundance of caution. I hate to think they canceled because some sort of perceived stigma...

I definitely think there's a degree of stigma, but depending on the full circumstances, it may actually just be an extreme abundance of caution. Say you're on the west coast: it's not uncommon for Chinese Americans to spend time (going out to eat, for example) in places that are run by other Chinese Americans, and thus likely popular spots for Chinese tourists to visit. Part of the problem of the Coronavirus is that it's highly contagious. Now, throw in the fact that you're inviting these guests over to a party for a very small child with an extremely weak immune system, and couple that with general parental paranoia about anything bad happening to your darling child, and I can see how this becomes a thing that happens.

On the other hand, one of the people on my weekly trivia team is Chinese American, and I'm not about to stop going just because of his heritage. But so help me if ANYONE on that team has so much as a cold, then screw it, I'll see you next week instead.

Also, I get to work insanely long, stress-filled hours and bounce through six major airports over the next two weeks. Fuck. I was hoping to get a little further out of cold & flu season before I had to start going to those places again.

october_midnight
01-28-2020, 01:24 PM
Yay Vancouver! (https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/wuhan-coronavirus-first-case-confirmed-bc)

ManBurning
01-28-2020, 05:16 PM
Yay Vancouver! (https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/wuhan-coronavirus-first-case-confirmed-bc)

Yeah, that's the end of me. Nice knowing ya'll.

There was also another case floating around. Woman from Wuhan living in Burnaby caught it. Went to 3 hospitals and they all said she didn't have it. Spoke to a Dr in China who asked her to come back to China for a diagnosis and she went back and was confirmed he had it. What does that say about our health care system?

I bet there are tons of cases here, but they are downplaying it to prevent panic.

Here's the article about the woman who was misdiagnosed here.

https://translate.google.ca/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mingpaocanada.com%2FVan%2Fhtm%2 FNews%2F20200128%2Fvaa1h_r.htm%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR19Sy-DxMccgGz4lsngnPdwVgDIP5x9ll7gstNrykCs_w2-1HEqsoBxGn0&fbclid=IwAR0M_LBS91btEFFaTh3VAZxrB8XnkaK9B2NLhHMY5 bvkCWmL4yP3ZVrO_sE

thelastdisciple
01-29-2020, 05:08 AM
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-hubei-cases/china-virus-toll-crosses-130-japan-u-s-evacuate-citizens-idUSKBN1ZR2VG

Death toll in China over 130, confirmed cases jumped from 1,459 to 5,974

First case confirmed in the middle east.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-emirates-idUSKBN1ZS0F5

Demogorgon
01-29-2020, 03:37 PM
I don't think anyone old enough to drink beer is dumb enough to think that this virus all over the news if FROM a beer, especially since the headlines haven't said anything at all about beer.

You just needed to wait a few days: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/no-the-coronavirus-doesnt-have-anything-to-do-with-beer/ar-BBZrXXo?OCID=ansmsnnews11

mfte
01-29-2020, 05:22 PM
/\/\/\ yup. don't underestimate how ignorant people can be.

I was just at my Dr's office and we chatted a bit about the virus. She noted that when SARS struck it spread quickly around cities whereas Corona is not spreading as quickly. Is this due to its long incubation period compared to SARS? Maybe. I also asked about the idea that China is downplaying their numbers. This is entirely possible but the numbers coming of countries whose governments conduct themselves with transparency are in line with China. her opinion was that if this blows up then it will likely happen in the next week or two.

versusreality
01-29-2020, 07:25 PM
makes me wonder if this continues and spreads over the next few months if they'll call off the summer Olympics

ManBurning
01-30-2020, 01:24 AM
/\/\/\ yup. don't underestimate how ignorant people can be.

I was just at my Dr's office and we chatted a bit about the virus. She noted that when SARS struck it spread quickly around cities whereas Corona is not spreading as quickly. Is this due to its long incubation period compared to SARS? Maybe. I also asked about the idea that China is downplaying their numbers. This is entirely possible but the numbers coming of countries whose governments conduct themselves with transparency are in line with China. her opinion was that if this blows up then it will likely happen in the next week or two.

There are definitely more confirmed cases than Governments are leading on.
This is totally being downplayed the the media.

Honestly, I think it's worse than SARS. I mean, the numbers speak for themselves. SARS only had a global infected rate of a little over 8000 and that was over the course of a year and a half before it was eradicated.
As of the time of writing this, if numbers are to be believed for face value (which they aren't lol), we are already at 7783 "confirmed" cases and that's only a month and a half into this things life span. Already almost as many cases as SARS had. This is way worse than SARS. Not sure why it's being downplayed. Our local Government here says "Yes, we have a few confirmed cases. But don't worry everyone, this isn't very bad. We have it under control"

Suuuure.

Haysey
01-30-2020, 03:25 AM
With regards to SARS what's the mortality rate compared? Is this a more deadly virus, or is it just a more common virus with lower mortality?

(any death of anything is bad, just trying to gauge how deadly this thing is)

tony.parente
01-30-2020, 09:50 AM
makes me wonder if this continues and spreads over the next few months if they'll call off the summer Olympics
I mean fuck the chinese government, I don't want to see people die for it to have to happen but canceling the summer olympics there would absolutely be a silver lining to this horrible situation.

thelastdisciple
01-30-2020, 09:51 AM
Here's an online map that's updated with statistics as soon as they're reported.

Data sources: WHO, CDC, NHC and DXY.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

tony.parente
01-30-2020, 09:55 AM
Here's an online map that's updated with statistics as soon as they're reported.

It looks like a damned plague inc map

cdm
01-30-2020, 10:34 AM

I would not make it off that boat. If the virus didn't kill me the anxiety surely fucking would. FUCK THAT.

allegate
01-30-2020, 10:52 AM
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1222863896882679808

shouldn't he be taking a nap somewhere?

Haysey
01-30-2020, 11:24 AM
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1222863896882679808

shouldn't he be taking a nap somewhere?

The mental gymnastics some people are performing to justify their arguments are insane!

snaapz
01-30-2020, 12:14 PM
On my drive to work the radio hosts called and spoke with my cities health something or other person (cant remember her actual title).

She said that most of what you're seeing on tv and social media is "fake news" and its being blown out of proportion. She also said to be cautious if you're heading to the "Chinese china" :confused:

allegate
01-30-2020, 12:19 PM
It's OK, we all get Barenaked Ladies stuck in our head from time to time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC_q9KPczAg

allegate
01-30-2020, 02:02 PM
https://twitter.com/ElliottKaybooks/status/1222669997320728576

ickyvicky
01-30-2020, 02:12 PM
"You Can Now Go to Jail in China for Criticizing Beijing's Coronavirus Response"

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/g5xykx/you-can-now-go-to-jail-in-china-for-criticizing-beijings-coronavirus-response?utm_source=reddit.com

allegate
01-30-2020, 02:43 PM
I know a certain orange man who is salivating at that prospect.

Jon
01-30-2020, 06:43 PM

6 confirmed US cases, seems like a lot of fuss... let's see where... oh, go fuck yourself... 1/3 of the confirmed US cases are within 12 miles:

https://i.imgur.com/w1RwiY4.png

allegro
01-31-2020, 12:27 AM
6 confirmed US cases, seems like a lot of fuss... let's see where... oh, go fuck yourself... 1/3 of the confirmed US cases are within 12 miles:

https://i.imgur.com/w1RwiY4.png

That map is weird. The Chicago virus people are husband and wife in the same house. And they’re currently in a Hoffman Estates hospital. Nowhere near Peoria.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/chicago-coronavirus-patient-infected-spouse-in-1st-human-to-human-case-in-us-cdc/2210301/

The flu has already killed 6,600 Americans this season and sickened at least 13 million Americans. https://www.eastpeoriatimescourier.com/zz/news/20200124/coronavirus-terrifies-us-but-another-virus-has-already-killed-6000-in-us

ManBurning
01-31-2020, 04:17 PM
That map is weird. The Chicago virus people are husband and wife in the same house. And they’re currently in a Hoffman Estates hospital. Nowhere near Peoria.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/chicago-coronavirus-patient-infected-spouse-in-1st-human-to-human-case-in-us-cdc/2210301/

The flu has already killed 6,600 Americans this season and sickened at least 13 million Americans. https://www.eastpeoriatimescourier.com/zz/news/20200124/coronavirus-terrifies-us-but-another-virus-has-already-killed-6000-in-us

Yeah, the BC dot is in the middle of nowhere in a mountain range not accessible by road, when it's been confirmed to be in Vancouver. I think the dots are just placeholders to show what states/areas are infected and not exactly showing the location of the virus. Just used as a reference point for data.

theimage13
02-01-2020, 12:29 PM
https://twitter.com/ElliottKaybooks/status/1222669997320728576

No, but you do get to talk shit about a government's response of attempting to cover it up instead of being open and upfront and providing people with the necessary information.

On a different note, guess who's flying to several Asian countries (multiple times, no less) for a good portion of the year? Thankfully China itself isn't on the list, but still - proximity is a concern.

theimage13
02-01-2020, 12:32 PM
I mean fuck the chinese government, I don't want to see people die for it to have to happen but canceling the summer olympics there would absolutely be a silver lining to this horrible situation.

What's wrong with the Olympics being in Tokyo?

Mantra
02-01-2020, 12:32 PM
Yeah, the BC dot is in the middle of nowhere in a mountain range not accessible by road, when it's been confirmed to be in Vancouver. I think the dots are just placeholders to show what states/areas are infected and not exactly showing the location of the virus. Just used as a reference point for data.

Well I mean...that would be pretty weird and unethical if the map showed us the exact gps location of the infected people.

tony.parente
02-01-2020, 02:03 PM
What's wrong with the Olympics being in Tokyo?
I’m a fucking idiot lmaooooooo

botley
02-02-2020, 02:08 AM
Well I mean...that would be pretty weird and unethical if the map showed us the exact gps location of the infected people.
Individual hospitals where cases are being tested/treated/discharged are regularly identified in North American media, so that's kind of the same thing (not saying that we need this information... as I said before, the best prevention is common-sense airborne respiratory disease containment strategies).

allegro
02-02-2020, 02:30 AM
Exactly. The newspapers here in Chicago are telling us the exact location of the two infected people in the Chicago area.

versusreality
02-02-2020, 06:10 AM
"possible" coronavirus patient in NYC
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/nycs-first-possible-coronavirus-patient-tested-at-manhattan-hospital/2275229/

Magnetic
02-02-2020, 05:39 PM
No, but you do get to talk shit about a government's response of attempting to cover it up instead of being open and upfront and providing people with the necessary information.

On a different note, guess who's flying to several Asian countries (multiple times, no less) for a good portion of the year? Thankfully China itself isn't on the list, but still - proximity is a concern.

I had a friend who flew into Korea last week, and he said that they were doing check points everywhere, if that helps any.

And....for what it's worth, the Olympics can be slightly problematic in Tokyo if people are traveling there via China, which is a lot of western Europe.

There is this though. (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-thailand/cocktail-of-flu-hiv-drugs-appears-to-help-fight-coronavirus-thai-doctors-idUSKBN1ZW0GQ)

SM Rollinger
02-02-2020, 05:52 PM
There is this though. (https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-thailand/cocktail-of-flu-hiv-drugs-appears-to-help-fight-coronavirus-thai-doctors-idUSKBN1ZW0GQ)

Considering this...
https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/coronavirus-contains-hiv-insertions-stoking-fears-over-artificially-created-bioweapon
https://www.zerohedge.com/s3/files/inline-images/HIV%20corona.jpg?itok=BNVvk8hi
there is no way this was naturally occurring. If I had to bet, the Chinese government has been spreading it purposely to break up the Hong Kong protests.

Magnetic
02-02-2020, 06:11 PM
I'm actually a molecular biologist. I'm going to look at the papers in detail, but blast searches always come up with all sorts of things dependent upon the parameters set. This is also pre-peer review, so it should be taken with a grain a salt.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised either way. Both it being naturally occurring and something engineered are equally valid.

ETA: "This is a preliminary study. Considering the grave situation, it was shared in BioRxiv as soon as possible to have creative discussion on the fast evolution of SARS-like corona viruses. It was not our intention to feed into the conspiracy theories and no such claims are made here. While we appreciate the criticisms and comments provided by scientific colleagues at BioRxiv forum and elsewhere, the story has been differently interpreted and shared by social media and news platforms. We have positively received all criticisms and comments. To avoid further misinterpretation and confusions world-over, we have decided to withdraw the current version of the preprint and will get back with a revised version after reanalysis, addressing the comments and concerns. Thank you to all who contributed in this open-review process.
: Authors of the Manuscript"

allegro
02-03-2020, 03:41 AM
https://twitter.com/africarepublic/status/1223922196780867584?s=21

allegate
02-03-2020, 08:49 AM
I'm actually a molecular biologist. I'm going to look at the papers in detail, but blast searches always come up with all sorts of things dependent upon the parameters set. This is also pre-peer review, so it should be taken with a grain a salt.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised either way. Both it being naturally occurring and something engineered are equally valid.

ETA: "This is a preliminary study. Considering the grave situation, it was shared in BioRxiv as soon as possible to have creative discussion on the fast evolution of SARS-like corona viruses. It was not our intention to feed into the conspiracy theories and no such claims are made here. While we appreciate the criticisms and comments provided by scientific colleagues at BioRxiv forum and elsewhere, the story has been differently interpreted and shared by social media and news platforms. We have positively received all criticisms and comments. To avoid further misinterpretation and confusions world-over, we have decided to withdraw the current version of the preprint and will get back with a revised version after reanalysis, addressing the comments and concerns. Thank you to all who contributed in this open-review process.
: Authors of the Manuscript"

that makes this announcement make a little more sense:

‘The results look good so far:’ Thai doctors tout promising treatment for Wuhan coronavirus (https://fortune.com/2020/02/03/wuhan-coronavirus-treatment-thailand/)

A cocktail of antiviral drugs appeared effective in treating a seriously ill coronavirus patient, a Thai health official said.

The HIV medicines lopinavir and ritonavir, which are sold by AbbVie Inc. as the product Kaletra, was used on three patients in conjunction with the anti-flu medication oseltamivir, sold by Roche Holding AG and Chugai Pharmaceutical Co. as Tamiflu, Somkiat Lalitwongsa, director of the Rajavithi Hospital in Bangkok told reporters Monday.

Magnetic
02-03-2020, 09:53 AM
If it was truly randomized, then n = 6, which is quite low. Hopeful, but I'll hold my breath until the sample size increases.
I also wonder how much this drug is world wide/ how much profit is to be made from this small study. Let's not give biopharma too much credit.

botley
02-04-2020, 02:29 PM
Good overall summary (https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/coronavirus-outbreak-charted-1.5450621) of how this is actually manifesting, in terms of fatality rate, compared to other virus outbreaks. "In essence, it's a version of SARS that spreads more easily but causes less damage." Ian Jones, professor of virology at the University of Reading.

Haysey
02-05-2020, 06:07 AM
BBC reporting rather depressingly that London's Chinatown is having a drop off in custom and residents are being treated badly due to the virus...fuck sake.

ManBurning
02-06-2020, 05:25 AM
BBC reporting rather depressingly that London's Chinatown is having a drop off in custom and residents are being treated badly due to the virus...fuck sake.

Yeah, that's pretty much globally at this point.
Chinese lady coughed on an airplane and they told her to put on a mask.

Also, some jackass at a gas station told a lady she "dropped her corona virus" when she threw a tissue out the window of her car.

Sad to see the world treading backwards in times like these.

Jon
02-06-2020, 03:40 PM
Here's a resource of 5,352 papers from 1968-2020 about Coronaviridae and related strains:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/exdka0/the_coronavirus_papers_unlocked_5352_scientific/

The good majority of these are/were behind paywalls. I did not include a direct link, as this legally is the same as stealing a book and posting it online. I hope, though, we can all see the difference between sharing a novel and sharing medical research papers.

Magnetic
02-06-2020, 10:19 PM
Any major research institution worth a damn has access to these paywalls. Which means any researcher with adequate qualifications has access to these, and the paywalls are a way to keep sensational journalists from posting about these articles with minimal experience.

Just because there's 5000+ articles on "coronav+" doesn't mean they're all reputable or applicable, especially when you scale back beyond 1990s research. Peer review quality has been more rigorous over the last 20 years.

While it's easy to read the author's outrage and get in a tizzy about things, unless you're in the field it's difficult to navigate. Biological science is not some cut and dry thing that's easy to read. Statistics can be manipulated, data can be manipulated, and compiling data from 5000+ studies over 5 decades is questionable in my book.

allegate
02-14-2020, 01:35 PM
thus we have entered into act two of Contagion:

https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1227657884395327489

theimage13
02-14-2020, 04:27 PM

Convicted felon Jim Bakker, sentenced to 45 years in prison after being found guilty on 24 counts of fraud, falsely claims that a substance repeatedly demonstrated to possess no health benefits can cure a rapidly spreading virus.

#truthinheadlines

cdm
02-14-2020, 05:01 PM
Convicted felon Jim Bakker, sentenced to 45 years in prison after being found guilty on 24 counts of fraud, falsely claims that a substance repeatedly demonstrated to possess no health benefits can cure a rapidly spreading virus.

#truthinheadlines

Now wait a second. Let's hear him out. I say we lock him one of those cruise ship cabins with some coughed on rags and test this shit out. Pump in some dirty air to be 100% sure. We'll never know until he tries!

SM Rollinger
02-14-2020, 05:35 PM
Snake Oil

allegate
02-14-2020, 06:08 PM
Now wait a second. Let's hear him out. I say we lock him one of those cruise ship cabins with some coughed on rags and test this shit out. Pump in some dirty air to be 100% sure. We'll never know until he tries!
I saw a response that said we should send him + the other profit preachers to lay hands on everyone over there to ensure this is taken care of as quickly as possible.

'This' can be left up to your imagination.

Space Suicide
02-14-2020, 11:04 PM

I say him and the bitch peddling it go and prove it. Take them to a diseased wing of a hospital or containment center and see if they live after taking a dose or two.

botley
02-14-2020, 11:42 PM
With an outbreak where the death rate is currently holding steady around 2% (again, way lower than SARS and far below the proportion of breathless coverage/outright fearmongering/racist responses it's still receiving), hell, I'd take those odds and upon nearly-assured survival while taking full advantage of science-based treatment, proclaim myself a miracle-worker to my bleating flock of morons who are scared shitless for no reason.

theimage13
02-15-2020, 07:16 AM
I say him and the bitch peddling it go and prove it. Take them to a diseased wing of a hospital or containment center and see if they live after taking a dose or two.

Not even live, just see if they get sick or not. If it really does "cure" it then they won't have so much as a cough.

ninlive
02-15-2020, 10:18 AM
Just doing cardio at the gym today and saw a quote from good old Donald Trump that April will be an important month because the weather will start to heat up and heat is the only thing known to kill the virus.

No, Donald... Not at that temperature. Stay in your lane.

allegate
02-15-2020, 12:08 PM
https://twitter.com/Mike2020/status/1228338153964081155

SM Rollinger
02-15-2020, 01:49 PM
https://twitter.com/Mike2020/status/1228338153964081155

Bush Jr was a moron, but in a lovable sort of way. Trump's stupidity is just plain aggravating.

ninlive
02-15-2020, 02:04 PM
Bruhhhhhh cryingggggggggg lmaooooooooooooooo

allegate
02-16-2020, 09:09 PM
- Beijing-sponsored South China University of Technology concludes that 'the killer coronavirus probably originated from a laboratory in Wuhan'
- It points to research on bats and respiratory diseases carried by the animals at the Wuhan Center for Disease Control and the Wuhan Institute of Virology
- WCDC is just 300 yards from the seafood market and is adjacent to the hospital

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8009669/Did-coronavirus-originate-Chinese-government-laboratory.html

is the Daily Mail ok again, or is this just bunk?

Magnetic
02-17-2020, 06:14 PM
I wouldn't trust anything coming from the Daily Mail ever.

allegate
02-18-2020, 11:08 AM
thought so, it seemed a little wacky.

Hospital director dies in Wuhan as China designates dead nurses and doctors as 'martyrs' (https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/17/asia/coronavirus-covid-19-update-intl-hnk/index.html)

that's a weird thing to designate someone, right?

cdm
02-18-2020, 11:25 AM
thought so, it seemed a little wacky.

Hospital director dies in Wuhan as China designates dead nurses and doctors as 'martyrs' (https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/17/asia/coronavirus-covid-19-update-intl-hnk/index.html)

that's a weird thing to designate someone, right?

Seems weird. Something lost in translation, maybe?