PDA

View Full Version : TV on the Radio

botley
01-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Did you see them opening for NIN/Bauhaus in 2006 or, like me, discover this band later and wondered how you could have ever lived without it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B5GP0AiQMc

PQHooligan
01-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Funny - I was just playing Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes today all the way through for the first time in years

I've seen them probably 10 times, and Young Liars will always be one of my all time favorite tracks

These songs are worth hearing too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C9tPw_Q_Bs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woFxJs4Hl-s

frankie teardrop
01-04-2012, 04:21 PM
i caught them on one of their first tours, when they were opening with the faint. i've always found them to be a bit overrated, but i still have big love for 'staring at the sun' from the first LP.

aggroculture
01-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Tried hard to like this band after the nod from Massive Attack: but they're just too generic indie for me.

richardp
01-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Been a huge fan of these guys for a while now. I think Nine Types of Light was somewhat underwhelming, but I got to see them live for the first time right after it came out and it was phenomenal. They pack an intense amount of energy when performing live that blew me away. Really sucks about Gerard, though. He definitely was partly responsible for shaping the band into what they are today.

botley
01-05-2012, 01:16 AM
they're just too generic indie for me.
What does that mean? I find their sound became pretty unique once they hit their stride (basically after Gerry joined the band, as richardp alluded to). They have a lot of upbeat-sounding tracks mixed with melancholy lyrics, and many interesting textural variations on their records — great horn charts and other non-guitar sounds, which are rare in indie rock. They deliver the goods at live shows, and they have enough great material in their catalogue to establish credibility as a real band with its own identity, not some frivolous project. Also, how can you argue with that 60-minute film version of Nine Types of Light that I posted? It's a masterpiece.

Space Suicide
01-05-2012, 08:57 AM
Loved em for years. 2007 I think?

botley
02-02-2012, 11:32 AM
Anyone going to the South American shows (http://www.tvontheradio.com/events/default.aspx)?

imail724
02-02-2012, 02:37 PM
I've seen them live more than any other band. Always a good time

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

kolopsia
07-23-2013, 03:04 PM
Okay so some people may not see it, but some of their earlier work seems slightly influenced by Nine inch Nails. While their vocals are very soulful and sound nothing like NIN at all, the production and use of synthetic drums, samples and overall industrial sounds on the album "Return to Cookie Mountain" and "Desperate Youth, Bloodthirsty Babes" for some reason always reminded me of NIN. Theres actually footage of Trent Reznor performing one of their songs with them live before a show a while back along with Peter Murphy, the song is called "Dreams" and although it's not my favorite TVOTR song it's still very good, check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZYjHsbSQpY

ZeroSum
07-23-2013, 03:23 PM
Sweet video. I love TV On The Radio. Very different music than NIN, but there definitely can be connections made between the way the bands use electronics. Thanks for saying that this topic is for NIN fans by the way, that way the mass of NIN-haters that always hang out here will be sure to stay out.

tony.parente
07-23-2013, 03:35 PM
Not trying to be a dick, but this isn't really thread worthy.

hellospaceboy
07-23-2013, 04:11 PM
^^^ Agree.
Maybe you should post things like this in the Random NIN Thoughts thread...

telee.kom
07-23-2013, 04:16 PM
I love em. I started to listen TV On The Radio pretty much the same time as NIN back in 2007 and though I never thought about it like that, there are probably some similarities between the two. I was a bit disappointed with their newest record, but Dear Science is mind blowing. Although my all time favourite is Wolf Like Me from their previous album. Thanks for the reminder of this great band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03hC_Ml8aAM

ultimatebdp
07-23-2013, 04:18 PM
^^^ Triple agree...and I usually roll my eyes at the thread police. I know there's sections on this board for other bands that NIN lovers like...I've never looked at 'em, but I know they're there. You should too. :)

I'll back you for new and interesting NIN/TR threads, but this isn't.

eversonpoe
07-23-2013, 05:26 PM
this is the third or fourth thread that kolopsia has started like this. cut it out, dude. please.

BlurredLine
07-23-2013, 06:05 PM
Agreed, this doesn't belong here.

In other news, I LOVE TVOTR.

henryeatscereal
07-24-2013, 01:29 AM
"Dear Science" is awesome, the rest of it... plain "ok" (i think they can do SO much more)

eversonpoe
07-24-2013, 08:16 AM
"Dear Science" is awesome, the rest of it... plain "ok" (i think they can do SO much more)

i LOVE their first album, i think return to cookie mountain is good but it's too crowded, and dear science is just ok. i still haven't heard their most recent album, but the couple songs i've heard have been great.

interesting, we're usually of extremely similar opinion :p

Space Suicide
07-24-2013, 08:29 AM
I don't care, the TV On The Radio thread got bumped. Been dead for too long!

I listened to Dear Science not too long ago actually. My favorite album of their's. The remix EP of it is top notch too, actually.

kolopsia
07-24-2013, 10:44 AM
Thread police giving me sh-- for not bring hip to house threads should be posted, sorry but I know if I post it in the "random nin thoughts" it'll get zero attention, I figured I'd actually give it a chance to spark conversation. SORRY..

henryeatscereal
07-24-2013, 02:21 PM
I think this is already an ongoing thread...

i LOVE their first album, i think return to cookie mountain is good but it's too crowded, and dear science is just ok. i still haven't heard their most recent album, but the couple songs i've heard have been great.

interesting, we're usually of extremely similar opinion :p

You're right bro, i guess there's a first time for everything! lol
Is not that i dislike the earlier stuff, but in my opinion: both "Desperate Youth..." and "Return to cookie..." are plain "Ok" albums with outstanding tracks ("Dreams" or "Wolf Like Me"), i find "Dear Science" to be the best "all rounded record" from them...

Still i was a bit underwhelmed by "Nine types of Light", i was expecting so much more... i don't know why, but when i listen to them i always have high expectations, maybe it's because they remind me of Wire a lot (one of my favorite bands)

I don't care, the TV On The Radio thread got bumped. Been dead for too long!

I listened to Dear Science not too long ago actually. My favorite album of their's. The remix EP of it is top notch too, actually.
Have to try the Remix EP, i haven't checked that one out..

As a "side note", i became infatuated with TV on the radio because i attended this show, it was sponsored by a beer brand that gave away the tickets for buyers of their product (lucky it was during my "drinking days") and from that moment i was hooked, i think it's a great show and it has very good quality ...it was filmed right in my hometown, check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd0tZ6mAFpo

Space Suicide
07-24-2013, 02:32 PM
This is hot. Props that it's my favorite song from Dear Science too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQRh_koli9E

eversonpoe
07-24-2013, 02:33 PM
1. wire is one of my favorite bands, too! i saw them a couple years ago here in chicago and they SLAYED.

2. i saw tv on the radio open for the faint in 2003 or 2004 and it was one of the most spiritual experiences i've ever had at a concert. fucking incredible.

henryeatscereal
07-24-2013, 09:56 PM
1. wire is one of my favorite bands, too! i saw them a couple years ago here in chicago and they SLAYED.

2. i saw tv on the radio open for the faint in 2003 or 2004 and it was one of the most spiritual experiences i've ever had at a concert. fucking incredible.

1. Now i get why you are one of my favorite posters, awesome!

2. They are great live! they surely know how to work a crowd, the show i posted was great, they even played "The Ghostbusters Theme", really tight stuff....

Do you guys now anything about Gerard Smith's replacement? I heard they are coming back in 2013...

botley
07-25-2013, 07:23 AM
I know when they were touring in 2011, Jaleel moved to bass and they had other drummers like Jahphet Landis and David Bergander from the band Celebration sit in on drums. Maybe they're sticking with that lineup.

AgentofChaos
07-25-2013, 12:36 PM
Shit I loved Nine Types of Light and saw them a few times on that tour. Yet somehow I had no clue they had ever covered Ghostbusters. Mind Blown. Would love to see that b-side.

Thread bump was worth it just for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWUU6WP3DUc

henryeatscereal
07-25-2013, 06:14 PM
It was the best moment of my night, lol!

Loved when Tunde asked the audience how do you say "Ghostbusters" in spanish and everyone shouts: "Cazafantasmas!" but we sang the song in english anyway...

baudolino
07-30-2013, 12:49 PM
new Single "Mercy" http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/30/tv-on-the-radio-mercy-instagram-audio_n_3677133.html

\o/ on repeat

BRoswell
07-30-2013, 01:01 PM
Love it. Put out an EP, album, whatever. I need more!

fortheloveofgod
07-30-2013, 04:25 PM
That song is rocking!!
http://pitchfork.com/news/51698-listen-new-tv-on-the-radio-mercy/

richardp
07-30-2013, 07:46 PM
I hate to sound like that guy, but man I'm getting some NIN vibes off of Mercy. The verses remind me of Wish or something. It's so good.

Alexandros
07-31-2013, 03:34 AM
Really good. Lots of stuff happening, in a good way!

henryeatscereal
07-31-2013, 12:53 PM
That escalated quickly...

thefragile_jake
08-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Yeah I dig this. Good stuff.

henryeatscereal
10-29-2013, 10:19 AM
Bumping again: sorry, i just needed to say that i need a fuckin' new album now!

Also: I bought "Nine types of light" yesterday and i¡m liking it a lot more than the first time i listened to it... definitely a grower!

harrismonkey
10-29-2013, 11:21 AM
Been a huge fan of these guys for a while now. I think Nine Types of Light was somewhat underwhelming, but I got to see them live for the first time right after it came out and it was phenomenal. They pack an intense amount of energy when performing live that blew me away. Really sucks about Gerard, though. He definitely was partly responsible for shaping the band into what they are today.

Took a little while to grow on me, but Nine Types of Light could possibly be my favorite. It certainly isn't what I was expecting.

AgentofChaos
04-24-2014, 10:24 AM
Decided to spin Nine Types of Light today and man I miss these guys. Such a wonderful record. I tried to get into Higgins Waterproof Black Magic band but it hasn't really done it for me yet. I checked TVOTR"s website and its now gone. I google searched after that and they are just on facebook now with a blurb on their label's site, but I did find a random tour date in Toronto playing the outdoor festival Luminato in June. Bam wasn't expecting to see them this summer. Doesn't even seem to be advertised at this point.

Canuckle
04-24-2014, 01:37 PM
I grabbed tickets to the Toronto show. Very under the radar at the moment, yet still market price ($35). I'm hoping this is a warm up tour for a new album that could drop this year (i.e., we get to hear some new material). I found the last show I went to for TVOTR at the Sound Academy was mixed quality. They clearly mastered their older works and they sounded great, but the 'new tracks' from Dear Science (at the time) sounded rough around the edges. I won't place it all on TVOTR given the SA is terrible, but I came away a little disappointed given how much I really enjoy their sound.

I loved everything from Your Liars to Dear Science. Nine Types of Light ended up being my least favourite album of theres' (and that still holds), but I'm hoping the new sound brings back a little more aggression.

FULLMETAL
06-14-2014, 11:05 PM
Going through my iTunes library, I found six songs from a live XFM session. Anyone have more detail about the recording or performance (my Google-fu came up empty)?

I'm thinking it was during promotion for Return to Cookie Mountain. Here are the songs: "Staring at the Sun", "Dreams", "Poppy", "Dirtywhirl", "Blues from Down Here", and "Province."

pwing47
07-29-2014, 12:24 PM
For anyone who hasn't heard, TVotR announced their 5th album today, called Seeds. Sounds like it'll be a fall release. Really looking forward to this one!

Here's a teaser (http://www.stereogum.com/1694924/tv-on-the-radio-announce-new-album-seeds/news/) over at Stereogum and here's a related article recapping some of their best songs (http://www.stereogum.com/1693589/the-10-best-tv-on-the-radio-songs/list/).

henryeatscereal
07-29-2014, 01:33 PM
at last!!!

richardp
07-29-2014, 11:19 PM
here's a related article recapping some of their best songs (http://www.stereogum.com/1693589/the-10-best-tv-on-the-radio-songs/list/).

Fuck that, Dancing Choose is forever #1.

NOW YOU NEED THREE BUMPS BEFORE YOU CUT.

Omega
09-01-2014, 10:38 PM
Clicked, link didn't work.

orestes
09-01-2014, 10:40 PM
Yeah, it got pulled fast but​ it's floating around.

GulDukat
09-02-2014, 01:13 AM
I own Dear Science. It's an interesting album, but not really my thing.

Alexandros
09-02-2014, 03:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv3RgbA2UTo

Got a nice hook to it. I like it.

Omega
09-02-2014, 04:46 AM
That was really good, may get this album.

poinoup
09-02-2014, 10:38 AM
Fuck that, Dancing Choose is forever #1.

NOW YOU NEED THREE BUMPS BEFORE YOU CUT.

FOAM INJECTED AXL ROSE
LIFE SIIIIIIIZE!

Amen to that one.

Really digging the new single. Another album to add to the 55 I need to still spin for this year...

zaps30
09-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Album finally has a release date...November 18th. They announced a few tour dates, too.

cynicmuse
09-02-2014, 07:53 PM
Sweet. They're opening for Massive Attack at the Santa Barbara Bowl and then playing a solo show the next week in LA. I'm glad I already had tickets for the SB show. I'm looking forward to this album and the tour dates.

Space Suicide
09-02-2014, 08:01 PM
Love this new song!

Swykk
09-02-2014, 08:21 PM
Really digging this song which is promising because I really didn't like their last one.

FULLMETAL
09-02-2014, 08:24 PM
Pre-ordered the album and was surprised that the "Happy Idiot" download was an mp3 instead of my choice of formats. I guess I've been spoiled with NIN's music store. Thank goodness for what.

Broadbent
09-02-2014, 08:37 PM
Good hook but it's not really my style. I think the band has really suffered since the death of Gerard Smith. Not only did the lineup switch hurt them but I feel like the writing has definitely changed. Probably for the better as the song writing has gotten better, I just haven't liked the style change.

I'll probably download this and catch them live when they come around.

valiantsteed
09-03-2014, 08:23 AM
I like the sales concept - buy the album, get a ticket to a club tour show.

In all honesty, I would have seen the tour regardless, but I doubt I would have preordered the album on its own. I was happy to pay a little extra, get the album, and ensure a ticket to the show. Especially since it looked like I was going to miss the gen onsale any way, so to pay an extra 12 bucks for the cd and a legit ticket, or pay more than that to a dickhead scalper if it sold out? The choice was obvious. Even though it pissed me off that shipping was an extra 10 bucks for a 12 dollar item, I'd still rather pay that then pay 11 bucks for a digital download and get a hardcopy. Man the shipping industry really does ruin everything that has the potential to be good and pure in the music business.

Broadbent
09-03-2014, 10:55 AM
that's a smart way to have their album climb the charts. every ticket sale = an album sale. If they played ten 5000 seat venues, that's 50 000 albums sold, just by touring. Smart.

Omega
09-03-2014, 11:43 AM
Those vinyls look cool.

richardp
09-03-2014, 12:09 PM
Woah, I finally am now getting around to listening to this new track and I really REALLY dig this.

zaps30
09-08-2014, 10:27 PM
I got tickets to the Boston show tonight, but I'll just grab the album the day it comes out instead of that pre-order.

botley
09-30-2014, 07:51 AM
New video on FoD for "Happy Idiot" starring Paul Reubens & Karen Gillan

(http://smarturl.it/happyidiot)

imail724
11-06-2014, 05:53 PM
Seeds leaked. It's pretty great.

pwing47
11-06-2014, 09:08 PM
Just listened to it for the first time through. Yep, it's good. I'll be buying this on vinyl.

I can definitely tell a lot of these tracks will grow on me quite a bit after several listens, especially Ride. Fav new tracks are probably Love Stained and Right Now.

Going in for spin #2.

TheyCallMeDrug
11-07-2014, 04:07 PM
not too into it so far. theres a few great tracks but overall it doesn't have the same creativity that oozes from almost all tvotr albums imo. careful you, test pilot and winter have caught me so far.

there are songs that sound different compared their past catalog but nothing that is that diff from what other bands are doing/have done. hopefully it'll open up with more listens.

kel
11-08-2014, 08:28 PM
i love it. a lot.

pwing47
11-08-2014, 11:48 PM
i love it. a lot.

Any fav tracks? Just curious, cuz a lot of the ones I discarded on first listen have come back and grabbed my attention.

I'm pretty sure Right Now will end up being one of my fav TVotR songs, which I know is a pretty bold statement. Cannot stop listening to that song.

For those who aren't crazy about the album (yet), my experience with Dear Science and NToL was similar to this on first listen, I think. A few standouts and a lot that I was bored with. It's about "half love, half pretty OK" right now. I really think the entire album will click with me after many more listens.

richardp
11-09-2014, 12:36 AM
Most of the tracks definitely did not stand out on the first listen, but every time I go back I'm realizing this album is definitely going to slow creep up and amaze me. Although right off the bat the title track was really fantastic to me.

TheyCallMeDrug
11-09-2014, 01:21 AM
ive narrowed down my dislikes to trouble, lazerray, ride and right now (the ugh moment of the album for me)

the other songs have a lot going for them and are definitely growing. winter and test pilot are great.

Space Suicide
11-09-2014, 12:46 PM
Strong album, I like it much more than Nine Types of Light. No album will top either Return to Cookie Mountain and/or Dear Science though.

pwing47
11-09-2014, 01:15 PM
Pretty good RS interview about Seeds with Tunde:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/tunde-adebimpe-on-the-keys-to-tvotrs-seeds-silence-and-sitek-20141106

kel
11-09-2014, 05:52 PM
Any fav tracks? Just curious, cuz a lot of the ones I discarded on first listen have come back and grabbed my attention.

I'm pretty sure Right Now will end up being one of my fav TVotR songs, which I know is a pretty bold statement. Cannot stop listening to that song.

For those who aren't crazy about the album (yet), my experience with Dear Science and NToL was similar to this on first listen, I think. A few standouts and a lot that I was bored with. It's about "half love, half pretty OK" right now. I really think the entire album will click with me after many more listens.
ride, love stained, and (my favorite) careful you.

i didn't like the last record much. this one is as good as dear science.

valiantsteed
11-12-2014, 05:35 PM
Loving this record as much as I love all the TVOTR records. It's just this great addition to their family of songs. I really enjoyed 9 Types of Light and this is a fun progression of the concepts explored there with a much funkier and poppier sound this time around. There is a lot of happiness, amidst a layer of darkness bubbling underneath. Or maybe it's the other way around. All I know is it's good to have them back. I have the sense that Troubles is going to be incredibly mindblowing live.

thevoid99
11-12-2014, 09:39 PM
I heard the record yesterday and man, it is fucking good.

ghostaustin
11-13-2014, 09:42 AM
I'm waiting for the actual release date to listen to Seeds (quaint, I know...). But I was wondering if any of you have tried inserting Mercy or Million Miles into the track list? I'm planning on doing that at some point, but only if it feels like there is a place where they'd fit.

imail724
11-13-2014, 10:13 AM
I'm waiting for the actual release date to listen to Seeds (quaint, I know...). But I was wondering if any of you have tried inserting Mercy or Million Miles into the track list? I'm planning on doing that at some point, but only if it feels like there is a place where they'd fit.
Why not just throw them on the end with "(Bonus Track)" at the end of each title? The band decided to not include in the tracklist for a reason I assume.

botley
11-13-2014, 10:33 AM
ive narrowed down my dislikes to trouble, lazerray, ride and right now (the ugh moment of the album for me)

the other songs have a lot going for them and are definitely growing. winter and test pilot are great.
"Trouble" and "Lazerray" are fantastic live.

TheyCallMeDrug
11-13-2014, 11:20 AM
i could see lazerray being better in a live setting but ive seen them 5 times now and I don't think they're very good live in general.

Canuckle
11-13-2014, 02:57 PM
Was at last night's concert in Toronto, and aside from being reminded why I don't go to Toronto rock concerts (blows my mind how selfish people become in a concert setting), I was underwhelmed by their performance yet again.

I love this band's studio releases, and I get the live-jam type approach to a concert, but I've always been a bit perturbed at how much they smother the horns, pianos and soft synths with sheer noise in a live setting. Looks like Sitek loves his wankering a bit to much, and Tunde, while unique in his own right, strays off the expected vocal tone of a song a tad too much as well (DMZ live for example).

That being said, I enjoyed both Winter and Careful You from the new stuff, and Province and Blues From Down Here as old favourites.

botley
11-14-2014, 10:41 AM
Horns? They have one trombone player on stage. Pianos? They have a couple of samplers. Soft synths? They use one big fat Minimoog bass patch and a couple of leads for colour from Jaleel's Nord.

It may surprise you that it's actually impossible to play the songs live as they are on record with six people.

TheyCallMeDrug
11-14-2014, 02:04 PM
if its impossible to get the album sound live as you say they should stop trying. go for a different approach to their live set or something. ive seen a bunch of heavily produced albums translated live into a completely different beast and still as effective.

everyone one of their shows ive seen came off mediocre and full of technical difficulties and poorly mixed vox and instruments.

eversonpoe
11-14-2014, 02:53 PM
if its impossible to get the album sound live as you say they should stop trying. go for a different approach to their live set or something. ive seen a bunch of heavily produced albums translated live into a completely different beast and still as effective.

everyone one of their shows ive seen came off mediocre and full of technical difficulties and poorly mixed vox and instruments.

i saw them open for the faint not long after "desperate youth..." came out and they were amazing. it felt like being at a gospel revival or something. i haven't seen them since (so it's been over ten years), but that is still one of my favorite shows i've ever attended.

richardp
11-14-2014, 09:43 PM
The one time I saw TVOTR live it was absolutely fantastic. It was so energetic and everything sounded way better than it does on album. Not sure it's possible you got 5 bad shows from them.

TheyCallMeDrug
11-14-2014, 09:50 PM
It was actually 6

electric factory 08 - one of the early shows of that tour and they didn't sound like they knew what they were doing on half of the dear science songs
central park summer stage 09 - horrible sound throughout and PA cut out halfway through their encore
prospect park 09 - low sound for an outdoor show
music hall of williamsburg 11 - bad mixing on vox through the first half of the show
williamsburg waterfront 11 - low sound and badly mixed guitar and vocals
radio city music hall 11 - best show ive seen from them but with exact same set lists it got too predictable by that point

yes. it's possible to see 6 bad/mediocre show by tvotr. with each new album i keep hoping they'll figure out how to translate it live but I'll be holding out on this new round of dates.

botley
11-14-2014, 11:05 PM

Did you read my last post? They're not trying to sound like the album, the arrangements are different (and bad sound is another separate issue, try standing in a different part of the venue next time, or don't go to outdoor festivals or whatever).

TheyCallMeDrug
11-14-2014, 11:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puqnxPGwpo4

imo it always sounds like they're trying to recreate the album live. especially here.

rushed tempo, thin sound and the best thing about that song is the 3 horns which they didnt even take on the road with them. you can't even clearly hear a good bass sound and the chord changes because of it. sitek isn't even noticable in this, or many, of their arrangements. bring up the synth, heavier bass, thin out the treble and mix the drums better. also tunde's voice sounds like crap with that reverb effect they have on it.

this is what im getting at. i'm glad you guys think they're great live, but they're very underwhelming and sloppy sounding if you've been to enough quality shows.

botley
11-14-2014, 11:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puqnxPGwpo4

imo it always sounds like they're trying to recreate the album live. especially here.

rushed tempo, thin sound and the best thing about that song is the 3 horns which they didnt even take on the road with them. you can't even clearly hear a good bass sound and the chord changes because of it. sitek isn't even noticable in this, or many, of their arrangements. bring up the synth, heavier bass, thin out the treble and mix the drums better. also tunde's voice sounds like crap with that reverb effect they have on it.

this is what im getting at. i'm glad you guys think they're great live, but they're very underwhelming and sloppy sounding if you've been to enough quality shows.
Even if I agreed with any of this (I don't), you should still realize if you've been to enough quality shows (seriously! I fucking do this for a living, dude) that live sound in a real venue is totally different from how bands are mixed when they play on live TV. It's fine that you don't like the band's live show but playing your 'I know better than all of you' card is lamesauce.

TheyCallMeDrug
11-14-2014, 11:58 PM
when you go to see a band and they consistently under perform and sound/mixing is a constant issue, then who's to blame? When you see them on tv and they also have the same issues, then what? as far as I'm concerned they don't know how to translate their material live, and I'd personally blame it on sitek and tunde's voice. I've seen kip malone solo at mercury lounge and with rain machine at BAM and he didn't have any sound or mixing issues. When i saw tunde open for the yyy's with his band higgins waterproof at union pool his voice also sounded like crap

i don't mean to be condescending to others opinions or play any cards just speaking from experience of going to a lot of shows over the past 20 years. after awhile you figure out what you can blame on the band vs. the venue. especially since I've seen quality sounding shows from other bands at every venue I've seen TVOTR at. (and if you're a sound guy i'm even more shocked your ears don't ping after hearing a live performance like the one I just linked) as such a good band on record they stand out like a sore thumb out of the shows i've been to as one of the most disappointing live acts Ive seen. and it's surprising coming from such a talented group of musicians.

botley
11-15-2014, 12:47 AM
The Letterman performance was over-compressed (they always are) and sometimes, the vocals are a little low at their shows — but I think that's by design and I personally don't mind it. Your mileage obviously varies.

Canuckle
11-15-2014, 08:50 AM
Did you read my last post? They're not trying to sound like the album, the arrangements are different (and bad sound is another separate issue, try standing in a different part of the venue next time, or don't go to outdoor festivals or whatever).

That was my point Botley. That their approach to live shows doesn't jive with me; which is OK as that is just my preference (Note I didn't say they were bad live).

I think TVOTR's strength is on the back of the subtle nuances in their studio albums, and I think they purposefully focus on trying to provide a 'rock concert' over a replication of their albums. A few of those nuances are lost live which is where I become underwhelmed. Some songs they are able to kill live ('Dancing Chose', 'Wolf Like Me', 'Blue From Down Here') and others simply feel bleh ('DLZ', 'Staring at the Sun'), but again, this is my opinion and they usually rock-out pretty well for 2/3 of their set.

armogi
01-05-2015, 04:44 PM
I am just returning from Japan where I picked up the japanese version of seeds with the two vinyl bonus tracks, glad i waited to pick this one up!

they still have many tower records over there, brought back some good memories too.

pcpunk
01-05-2015, 04:53 PM
bonus tracks? please tell me more.

pwing47
01-05-2015, 05:13 PM
bonus tracks? please tell me more.

Two songs called "Nobody Else" and "Mystery Eyes," looks like. I haven't heard them yet, because I haven't found any place to listen yet :(
armogi, have you listened to them yet? How are they? Enlighten us :)

armogi
01-05-2015, 06:43 PM
yes, i gave them a listen, they are ok but not as good as the rest of the record imo, they may be a grower.
Nobody else is a duet with some girl, a bit RnB but i have no idea who sings with Tunde, mystery eye is the better of the 2, it's a slow one with a strong bass hook and synth melody.
The CD came with a lyric booklet too (english and japanese, which is cool since it seems there are no lyrics on the regular booklet) but no mention of the guest(s). These tracks are on the vinyl release too, maybe it has more information on the guest.

botley
01-05-2015, 10:05 PM
Her name's Arama Mara, here she is with Sitek (https://m.facebook.com/AramaMara/photos/pb.111950972206994.-2207520000.1420517016./749139908488094/).

BRoswell
02-27-2015, 12:44 PM
The band will appear on Austin City Limits:

http://acltv.com/2015/02/27/new-taping-tv-on-the-radio/

pwing47
03-20-2015, 12:05 AM
The band is doing what appears to be a smallish acoustic set at Reckless Records in Chicago before their Metro show on Monday.
http://do312.com/events/2015/3/23/in-store-w-tv-on-the-radio

I lucked out and don't work that day, plus I was already planning on heading down for the Metro show, so I'm definitely going to try to get in on this! Anyone else hitting any TVotR shows coming up?

PQHooligan
03-22-2015, 06:29 PM
Anyone else hitting any TVotR shows coming up?

Yes, I'll be seeing them for the 6th time here in San Diego @ The Observatory - if you're going too, let me know!

richardp
03-22-2015, 09:15 PM
Saw them last night here in KC. Pretty good show. You could still tell their at the beginning of the tour though. They band kind of had to catch up with each other for the first few songs. Tunde also seemed to be having some voice issues. Hit a few bunk notes throughout the show and they even skipped out on playing Repetition. But man Wolf Like Me will never get old hearing that one live. It's made to be played loud and fast. I dug the show, but I do think it was bit better the last time I saw them in 2011.

kel
03-22-2015, 11:12 PM
yay! treefort's this week!

BRoswell
04-03-2015, 05:31 PM
http://www.npr.org/event/music/394037775/tv-on-the-radio-live-in-concert-sxsw-2015

innerturmoil
04-04-2015, 05:54 PM
Last night's L.A. set on DIME.
Comedian Hannibal Buress did about 15 minutes as a surprise before announcing them.

BRoswell
04-07-2015, 07:39 PM
New video for "Trouble".

http://time.com/3772819/tv-on-the-radio-trouble-video-premiere/

BRoswell
09-01-2015, 04:46 PM
Run the Jewels and TV on the Radio to Perform Together on "Late Show With Stephen Colbert" (http://pitchfork.com/news/61016-run-the-jewels-and-tv-on-the-radio-to-perform-together-on-late-show-with-stephen-colbert/)