PDA

View Full Version : The Mandalorian

Self.Destructive.Pattern
11-15-2019, 07:44 PM
Figured I'd start off the thread.

After watching Episode 2, I can honestly say now that these episodes just aren't long enough... I have spoken.

Conan The Barbarian
11-15-2019, 07:47 PM
I hope nick nolte just says that in real life from now on.

Also, yea this show is great and episodes should be an hour.

october_midnight
11-15-2019, 08:26 PM
I won’t repeat all my theories that I posted in the Disney+ thread so will just echo the same. 30+ minutes including credits is way too short, I feel that as soon as Dyn got the egg for the Jawas, whoops! Episode over!

thelastdisciple
11-15-2019, 10:02 PM
Yeah i don't understand the decisions concerning episode length beyond just budgetary reasons (although it's Disney, they should be good for it) or i guess they're just doing whatever the story demands. I was certainly expecting 50+ minute episodes since they wouldn't have been beholden to the cable format with commercials. Why wouldn't they take advantage of the service they have?

Enjoyed what I've seen so far, weird score work though... it's very jarring for Star Wars.

SM Rollinger
11-15-2019, 10:13 PM
Just found out that cuz I have an unlimited plan thru Verizon, I get a free year of Disney+! Now I don't have to be torn between piracy and giving Disney my money.

bobbie solo
11-16-2019, 02:49 AM
LOVING the spaghetti western score. Adds a nice throwback element that no one was expecting.

Don't care about the episode lengths. Get in and get out. Probably a function of the limitations of characterization for the main character. At least for now considering he's only interacted with one character in any real way. Or maybe the episodes will be longer later once there is more to do for our guy.

Episode #2 was basically an extremely long way of showing that The Child is powerful with the Force. That's it.

Not liking how kiddie the show is starting to be, with The Child (super cute though) & the campy portrayal of the Jawas. Made them ALL very short too, unlike the taller, more dangerous ones we saw attack Luke & Obi Won.

bobbie solo
11-16-2019, 02:52 AM
I have spoken.

thelastdisciple
11-16-2019, 04:06 AM
Not liking how kiddie the show is starting to be, with The Child (super cute though) & the campy portrayal of the Jawas. Made them ALL very short too, unlike the taller, more dangerous ones we saw attack Luke & Obi Won.
I think you may be confusing the Jawas with Tusken Raiders/Sand people?

Jawas are naturally very short.

dlb
11-16-2019, 06:45 AM
I hope the tone of the series doesn't get too lighthearted/childish. There are bits and pieces there and personally I don't want that for what might have been the Boba Fett movie. It's a weird mix honestly. For one part you have spiked Stormtrooper Helmets and shady people from the galaxie's underworld, then you have those very light moments. The balance is a bit off imho.

But that doesn't take away the joy I have watching this. One thing that I do have major gripes with is the run time. Only 30 minutes for the second episode? Really?! This really angers me and makes me feel the production of this was very much rushed or even think that they didn't have enough material to justify a proper 8-part series with 60 (heck, 45 would be okay...) minute episodes. Leaves a sure taste in my mouth for something that I truly want to enjoy and actually like apart from these nitpicks.

Said it before, but I absolutely adore the Mandalorian's design. Something about it really triggers my excitement. It's the slickest and most perfect design for me since Darth Maul in this series and will probably only be met by the Knights of Ren if we indeed get to see them in Rise of Skywalker.

eversonpoe
11-16-2019, 06:18 PM
my wife and i were basically just going "eeeee" during the entire second episode. yoda baby is literally the cutest thing i've ever seen in my life.

i don't find the tone unbalanced at all, and i love the score work. i will echo the frustration with episode length but i think that just means it's really good and i want more!

elevenism
11-16-2019, 06:34 PM
i'm about to take a look at the second episode.

but yeah, the first one was just very, very Star Wars. And in a way, it reminded me of the OT more than some of the last few movies. The IG-88 was fucking awesome, too.

I have spoken.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
11-16-2019, 08:37 PM
The tone didn't seem too off for me when the lighter aspects of the episode would come in, but I do understand the possible indifference some peeps have with that.

What was driving me insane was his careless demeanor with baby Yoda thing. He's attacked, then continues to leave him alone over and over again. Sometimes the lore of a Mandalorian doesn't add up to the stupid decisions our main character seems to make sometimes.

eversonpoe
11-16-2019, 11:13 PM
i'm about to take a look at the second episode.

but yeah, the first one was just very, very Star Wars. And in a way, it reminded me of the OT more than some of the last few movies. The IG-88 was fucking awesome, too.

I have spoken.

:: puts on pedantic nerd glasses ::
actually that was an IG-11 unit
:: removes glasses, bows head in shame ::

Jinsai
11-16-2019, 11:39 PM
show is so great

allegate
11-16-2019, 11:46 PM
:: puts on pedantic nerd glasses ::
actually that was an IG-11 unit
:: removes glasses, bows head in shame ::

the subtitles even call him...it...an IG-11.

It's a dumb thing to be annoyed by but that doesn't appear to be Pedro Pascal on screen.

bobbie solo
11-17-2019, 02:10 AM
I think you may be confusing the Jawas with Tusken Raiders/Sand people?

Jawas are naturally very short.

https://media.giphy.com/media/vLruErVSYGx8s/giphy.gif

dlb
11-17-2019, 06:24 AM
Re-watched episode 1 and 2 and yeah, it's balanced better now on my second viewing than it came across on my initial viewing. Maybe I was expecting something way more darker from the trailers. But still, things could be a tad grittier for my taste, yet Star Wars can always be very childish and very grim in a matter of seconds.

If the episode lengths remain that short I'm wondering if some avid fans might do a fan-edit. I have the feeling that this could turn out better than any Boba Fett movie we could have hoped for.

Swykk
11-17-2019, 07:18 AM
I am thoroughly enjoying this and all, but it kind of bothers me that they shot this so cleanly. I expected a grimier look, I guess.

Volband
11-17-2019, 09:16 AM
Only watched ep 1, but it's fun. I've tried numerous series recently, but none of them could hook me in. Tjis one was funny, action packed, but most importantly, down to earth, albeit cheesy. I really liked small touches like an overused movie trope ("hacking" in the midst of suppressing fire) failing, or our main and super cool hero being humanized in the very first episode, instead of being unbeatable in every aspect of life.

The practical stuff were great, the CGI was on the weak side however. Those monsters they mounted looked reaaaallly crude animation wise. I can echo the disappointment over the short length, but I loved the score.

I hope they improve on the writing part, because some conversations were really bad, and there weren't too many to begin with. Like the one with that alien who helped our hero. How fucking dumb our guy is, that he can't put two and two together?? The alien fella told him that since these mercenaries arrived, life quality went down on his planet. THEN HE ASKS HIM WHY HE WANTS HIM TO GET RID OF THEM!! I guess I rather have our guy being a buffoon sometimes, than figure out everything, everytime, but man, did he came across like a dork in that one.

I hoped there'd be blood or at least some mild swearing, but I guess I shouldn't push Disney's buttons, and just be glad that they paid for something refreshing in the SW universe.

elevenism
11-17-2019, 09:57 AM
Oh man, those Jawas in the second episode were fucking great.

This show REALLY reminds me of a lot of what made me fall in love with this franchise when i was a little kid.

Wretchedest
11-17-2019, 11:03 PM
This show is great on it's own but the implication that Yoda is powerful and old because of his race instead of through hard work and training is the same midochlorians bullshit we were all complaining about 20 years ago

dlb
11-18-2019, 03:17 AM
Guess we will find out soon what the fuzz is about with baby Yoda.

On a lighter note: I find it funny that they managed to create something this cute out of a character that still kind of makes me easy and actually freaks me out when looking at it for longer. The original Yoda design on it's own really messes with me. :D

Also, is that a different race of Jawas? They have quite red eyes and grey-ish robes. Is that some EU stuff or am I colorblind? But it's been fun to see them on screen again and I forgot how much I like the sandcrawler idea and design.

Haysey
11-18-2019, 06:43 AM
I have Not Spoken (as i haven't had a chance to find a torrent yet) BUT I WANT TO SEE!

Volband
11-18-2019, 06:59 AM
Okay, I take it back that she short episodes are annoying. They are laughable. Episode 2 is like 25 minutes long, and that is just inexcuseable for a flagship series. Imagine buying Disney+, and getting your eyes poked out by this. Great show, but in this day and age where streaming competition is so fierce, it is really hard to justify spending money on this, instead of getting it in... other ways.

This show is great on it's own but the implication that Yoda is powerful and old because of his race instead of through hard work and training is the same midochlorians bullshit we were all complaining about 20 years ago
Why is it a problem that some races have a different relationship with the Force? I think it's fine, especially since Yoda's race supposed to be extremely rare and mysterious. Also, at least it gives some interesting characteristics to said race, instead of just introducing random new aliens for toys sake, without giving them any interestiong specialties. Unless we count taking a nasty shit a race-defining trait.

dlb
11-18-2019, 08:41 AM
Yeah, 25 minutes really is a slap in the face. Hopefully they take notice for the second season. Other than budgetary reasons, I can't understand that decision... or maybe this really was meant to be a movie (Boba Fett or not...) and was just rewritten for the show.

october_midnight
11-18-2019, 09:05 AM
I wouldn't go so far as to say it was a slap in the face because...well, come on.

There's going to be 8 episodes (and they're already filming season 2). Granted each one may not have the massive budget of a SW movie, but it's pretty close. Admittedly, while watching the first episodes...the sets, costuming, cast, etc. is pretty much on par with a feature film, and if you take 8 episodes at roughly 25-30 minutes, that's about 4 hours of content. So take the budget of a SW film and double it.

Something tells me while they were sure it'd at least perform decently, they weren't quite ready to dump half a billion dollars in to it right out of the gate.

dlb
11-18-2019, 09:14 AM
I'd be okay with it, if they would have advertised it like 30 minute episodes. But with a 25-28 minute episode following an already short 35 minute episode I was rather baffled. On the other hand it's a compliment to the showmakers. I want more from this and waiting for a week has become a lesson in patience in times of binge watching. :D

Hope we get to see more of Werner Herzog and the remains of the Empire next week.

imail724
11-18-2019, 09:33 AM
I don't mind a short length as long as they are allowed to make each episode as long as they need to be. Since it is streaming, they are not limited to a 30 or 60 minute timeslot, so if last weeks episode only filled out 25 minutes, but next week's needs to be 45 minutes, fine by me.

allegate
11-18-2019, 12:54 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EJnJb-iXkAAoDrh?format=jpg&name=900x900

bobbie solo
11-19-2019, 03:02 AM
one of my podcasts pointed out that the show is basically mirroring the structure of the Lone Wolf & Cub manga. I hadn't thought about that, and so far it appears to be at least partially accurate.

october_midnight
11-20-2019, 11:27 AM
https://scontent.fcxh2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/77193858_493845331226565_936627050364534784_n.png? _nc_cat=102&_nc_oc=AQnlxFx-NsXEEWIDOGwP0zNDwuCkoG9EF55RL-6AK4iGUHiiN78BylqVeeMNJAFOfsY&_nc_ht=scontent.fcxh2-1.fna&oh=e28795652f8866302e6ed80c088dff81&oe=5E4DC53A

Toadflax
11-20-2019, 01:36 PM
For you score junkies, it looks like they're releasing Ludwig Goransson's score for each episode as its own thing, so there's already about 40 minutes of music out there. That main theme is so damn good.

allegate
11-20-2019, 01:39 PM
I see they're on Tidal and that's the only place to get them lossless. dammit.

allegate
11-20-2019, 05:03 PM
https://twitter.com/andymacdeez/status/1197266646446084096

ltrandazzo
11-21-2019, 09:51 AM
I'm really loving this show so far and it's serialized spaghetti-western feel. I have spoken.

allegate
11-21-2019, 11:43 AM
Aw geez, the strain of it all was too much.

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1197537653886992384

eversonpoe
11-21-2019, 12:03 PM
the hard times gets me every time​ with their headlines until i realize it's them. (in this case i thought someone was spoiling something that happens later in the series)

dlb
11-22-2019, 04:19 AM
Haha I can actually picture a huge bird grabbing that doll whilst filming... Jesus, what would actually happen at the set if something like this went down? :D

Conan The Barbarian
11-22-2019, 01:06 PM
Jesus this episode was bad ass.

sonic_discord
11-22-2019, 02:23 PM
Jesus this episode was bad ass.

Was it any longer than the previous two? (I'm assuming you were referring to episode Chapter 3)

Conan The Barbarian
11-22-2019, 02:23 PM
It was about 37 minutes

versusreality
11-22-2019, 05:23 PM
so it's basically the Lone Wolf and Cub series in space? Kinda cool, a throwback to Lucas being inspired by the Hidden Fortress.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiD9s6C7v7lAhWvwFkKHbdnD3kQjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FLone-Wolf-Cub-Complete-Blu-ray%2Fdp%2FB008H1Q3NW&psig=AOvVaw3Kt8v3Kvw0vSo9gPsPhsv-&ust=1574547839831544

valiantsteed
11-22-2019, 09:44 PM
Episode 3 was sooooo fuckin good. Man, if the show gets significantly better than that in the later episodes we are in for a serious treat.

sonic_discord
11-23-2019, 12:21 AM
Yeah, this was probably my favorite episode so far. The fight scenes were all great and it was cool to see more Mandalorians with their badass armor. I like how much importance is placed on honor and their code.

eversonpoe
11-24-2019, 01:10 AM
i still just can't get over how fucking cute it is. like i cannot watch a scene with that tiny little green guy in it without having a ridiculous reaction. thankfully my wife has been doing the same thing so it's not just me annoying her hahaha.

seriously, though, i am loving this show

dlb
11-24-2019, 07:28 AM
Love it you must. It's science. Well, according to this article:

https://www.wired.com/story/baby-yoda-internet/

Yeah, that episode was really nice! A couple of those Mandalorians looked hella clunky, but nice to see some more of their culture and have actual dialogue in this episode again. I just LOVE Werner Herzog in this and although the running time is still my biggest gripe I cannot wait to see more of this.

When do you guys think we will see him taking off the helmet?

thelastdisciple
11-24-2019, 09:22 AM
Love it you must. It's science. Well, according to this article:

https://www.wired.com/story/baby-yoda-internet/

I hope never, i dig the whole Judge Dredd or Master Chief air of mystery.

eversonpoe
11-24-2019, 12:52 PM

https://media1.tenor.com/images/614de537ea516c274f9c95e722fbf9d5/tenor.gif?itemid=15630699

Space Suicide
11-24-2019, 04:44 PM
My friend got a free year long Disney+ subscription thanks to his phone provider and it has up to 4 profiles available so I got it for free. I'll watch and catch up to the current episodes before the show is done with its season.

Magnetic
11-24-2019, 05:01 PM
I'm starting to dig this more. The baby yoda is cool and all, but it was awesome seeing the new armor in all its glory. Eight year old me would have loved to dress up as the Mandalorian for Halloween. Err, no. For every day.

neorev
11-25-2019, 12:09 AM
Disney Deletes Baby Yoda GIFs Over Copyright Concerns

https://comicbook.com/starwars/2019/11/23/disney-deletes-baby-yoda-gifs-over-copyright-concerns/?fbclid=IwAR31RQCGiV5qh5NBchHolGIxKWQeIurUIL-FDJBbwFdNsmtBGK8FBD9M1ss

GulDukat
11-25-2019, 12:47 AM
Is this coming to DVD/blue-Ray at some point?

dlb
11-25-2019, 04:14 AM

Yeah, Dredd is what it reminds me off aswell and I wholeheartedly agree!

ryanmcfly
11-25-2019, 01:07 PM
I'm starting to dig this more. The baby yoda is cool and all, but it was awesome seeing the new armor in all its glory. Eight year old me would have loved to dress up as the Mandalorian for Halloween. Err, no. For every day.

Next year 27 year old me plans to be The Mandalorian for Halloween and I will dress my dog up as baby yoda. I'll push him in some kind of stroller too. It's going to be awesome.

eversonpoe
11-25-2019, 03:21 PM
Next year 27 year old me plans to be The Mandalorian for Halloween and I will dress my dog up as baby yoda. I'll push him in some kind of stroller too. It's going to be awesome.

you better find a way to make a floating egg

dlb
11-26-2019, 06:24 AM
Depending on what's going to be easier to achieve I would LOVE to dress as the Mandalorian for Halloween or the grenade-masked Knight of Ren.

Haysey
11-26-2019, 07:03 AM
Here's a question, can anyone recommend a trustworthy good torrent site? Been out of the loop for a LOOOONG time and i don't want to bother people every week on here asking for a torrent of the latest episode (i will be getting D+ when it gets here, but i don't want to miss out on this as it's happening)

allegate
11-27-2019, 11:59 AM
https://twitter.com/pattonoswalt/status/1199733600544903169

dlb
11-30-2019, 11:16 AM
Liked the new episode alot and thought it was actually quite heart-warming. Yet this show is for no one who's looking for a gripping storytelling and an advancing plot. Besides the Mandalorian's past and Gina Carano's introduction there was not much being told. Hope we get to see her character again and I really liked the mance of the AT-ST in this one. The night shots looked amazing.

I'm a littled bit surprised that Favreau did not direct an episode, but I'm really looking forward to the season finale and what Taika Waititi came up with.

neorev
11-30-2019, 11:23 AM
I see they're on Tidal and that's the only place to get them lossless. dammit.

They're on US Qobuz for $11.49 a piece, UK Qobuz for £13.49 a piece. Still cheaper than Tidal, think they charge like $20 for lossless releases. I see 4 episodes up so far.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
12-01-2019, 12:57 PM
New episode felt rushed and tropey af. Some cool elements, but would have been much more affective with more time to flesh out what was going on here. It didn't earn any of the affection between our lead and the random woman that can shoot a blaster good... because... yea. With Bryce Dallas Howard's mediocre and generic directing chops.

dlb
12-01-2019, 03:23 PM
Hehe I actually thought the same. As soon as we get a woman sitting in the director's chair a character almost gets to take the Mandalorians helmet off. I know, I know... I shouldn't make that assumption, but it was pretty obvious in that episode.

I just watched it again and I really didn't like those dog-people, but I still think the AT-ST looked extemely cool. Yet the episode served no real purpose other than introducing Carano's character, which I hope we get to see more in the future. Otherwise, there would be absolutely zero story progression and character developement.

Off to watch some "missed easter egg" stuff on YouTube now! :D

Magnetic
12-01-2019, 03:35 PM
And here I thought this forum was mostly devoid of sexist bullshit.
The episode was still written by Favreau....

Self.Destructive.Pattern
12-01-2019, 03:36 PM
Hehe I actually thought the same. As soon as we get a woman sitting in the director's chair a character almost gets to take the Mandalorians helmet off. I know, I know... I shouldn't make that assumption, but it was pretty obvious in that episode.

I just watched it again and I really didn't like those dog-people, but I still think the AT-ST looked extemely cool. Yet the episode served no real purpose other than introducing Carano's character, which I hope we get to see more in the future. Otherwise, there would be absolutely zero story progression and character developement.

Off to watch some "missed easter egg" stuff on YouTube now! :D

The cool elements I liked were definitely the AT-ST and Cara, but I'm pretty sure if an actual imperial were piloting that thing, they'd all be dead. Cara was a refreshing addition, and I guarantee we will see her again before the season ends; they have good chemistry and their team-up scene was pretty flashy.

I can't look it up now, but how long were they with the villagers? I think I rememeber Cara saying they stayed there a few more weeks after the battle?

Haysey
12-02-2019, 03:28 AM
I'm not all caught up yet but Baby Yoda flicking the switch's in the cockpit is my new favourite thing on the internet...and that's saying something!

dlb
12-02-2019, 04:03 AM
While the release in other countries is still miles ahead, I think they are doing a pretty good job with keeping merchandise and toys for the Mandalorian away.

Volband
12-02-2019, 08:19 AM
Episode 3 was veeery good, but I liked 4 as well. Hell, how could I ever not like such cutesyness? The show doesn't take big risks, but what it does, it does well.

Does Mando bullshit everyone about his mask? I didn't understand the scene where he took it off in front of everyone, then says he can't put it back up.

allegate
12-02-2019, 06:48 PM
I had to see this and now you do too so welcome to flavortown mother forkers.

https://twitter.com/GuyFieri/status/1201622881559556098

Self.Destructive.Pattern
12-03-2019, 01:55 AM
Does Mando bullshit everyone about his mask? I didn't understand the scene where he took it off in front of everyone, then says he can't put it back up.

When he took it off, he was concealed and not around anybody. Even though it looked as if he was just hanging right in the window when he was about it eat for everyone to see.

Haysey
12-03-2019, 03:19 AM
i had to see this and now you do too so welcome to flavortown mother forkers.

https://twitter.com/guyfieri/status/1201622881559556098

my eyes!?

eversonpoe
12-03-2019, 10:41 AM
I had to see this and now you do too so welcome to flavortown mother forkers.

as someone who unironically loves guy fieri (seriously, he's a cool guy who does a lot for charity, and officiated a 100-couple marriage ceremony in california once same-sex marriage was legalized) this made me giggle uncontrollably. my wife (who also loves him) had pretty much the same reaction.

valiantsteed
12-03-2019, 02:51 PM
Ugh. The last episode wasn't my favorite by any means, but I was perfectly fine by it. I didn't need to have a shitty tantrum online about it blaming women for it either. What is wrong with people?

1) Episode 3 was by far the best episode of the series. Directed by Deborah Chow.
2) Favreau wrote the episode as a homage to the Seven Samurai. Sure if you had tightened up the directing a bit, and yeah some of the acting wasn't super impressive, it could have been a bit cleaner but the core essence would have been the same.
3) If you are familiar with Filoni on Clone Wars and Rebels, he loves doing those kind of side homage episodes and they are usually par for the course and thus should not be unexpected.

But sure let's all rage against Bryce Dallas Howard for ruining The Mandalorian. Fucking losers make me embarrassed to be a Star Wars fan.

allegate
12-03-2019, 03:00 PM
I told my son they were going to recruit a bunch of circus bugs and he didn't think it was very funny.

Like at all, because he didn't get the reference. ugh, kids.

bobbie solo
12-03-2019, 04:10 PM
Bryce Dallas Howard DOES suck though. Not b/c she's a woman, but just b/c she is not a good actress, and apparently not a good director either. Someone name something they've liked her in. I can't think of anything after going to her Wiki.

bobbie solo
12-03-2019, 04:12 PM
Here's a question, can anyone recommend a trustworthy good torrent site? Been out of the loop for a LOOOONG time and i don't want to bother people every week on here asking for a torrent of the latest episode (i will be getting D+ when it gets here, but i don't want to miss out on this as it's happening)

https://rarbg.to/torrents.php?r=37028921

october_midnight
12-03-2019, 04:48 PM
[URL=https://www.cnet.com/news/baby-yoda-plush-will-be-available-tuesday-mandalorian-star-wars-mattelThe Child plush figure and Funko Pop finally coming.[/url]

I'm a buy me like 5 of the plush ones...

allegate
12-03-2019, 05:01 PM
the plush has been popping up and down on Wal-Mart today.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EK416-EU8AEd6Dz?format=png&name=900x900

doesn't look plush tbh, more of a plasticky look to the head there.

eversonpoe
12-04-2019, 12:26 AM
the plush has been popping up and down on Wal-Mart today.

doesn't look plush tbh, more of a plasticky look to the head there.

the target listing says the head is vinyl...which i don't understand. that's not cuddly!

Haysey
12-04-2019, 03:27 AM
Imagine if this had released in September, the amount of kids wearing BY for halloween would have been through the roof!

dlb
12-04-2019, 03:44 AM
Guess it's vinyl with one of those scratchy velvet-y surfaces. The Funko looks cute though.

Can't wait for Friday!

allegate
12-04-2019, 11:26 AM
The Mandalorian Episode 7 Set to Include a Sneak Peek of The Rise of Skywalker (https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1112920-the-mandalorian-episode-7-sneak-peek-the-rise-of-skywalker)

Ahead of the highly-anticipated theatrical release of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, Disney+ has announced that the forthcoming seventh episode of their Star Wars prequel series The Mandalorian is now scheduled to premiere on Wednesday, December 18 which is two days earlier than the show’s regular timeslot. The streaming service have also confirmed that The Mandalorian’s penultimate episode will officially be including an exclusive sneak peak of The Rise of Skywalker.

In addition, the official synopses for the series’ last two episodes have also been revealed.

Directed by Deborah Chow from a script written by Jon Favreau, the penultimate episode “Chapter 7”: An old rival extends an invitation for The Mandalorian to make peace.

Directed by Taika Waititi from a script written by Jon Favreau, the season finale episode “Chapter 8”: The Mandalorian comes face-to-face with an unexpected enemy.
Chow directed episode three and is also the sole director for the Obi-Wan series coming in 2021.

dlb
12-07-2019, 07:44 AM
Sadly a quite weak episode this time around, although I realy want a speeder bike now! :D

Alot of fan-service, but maybe a tad too much and zero story progression, but hey: we got a new character and of course a proper cliffhanger to go with it....

Conan The Barbarian
12-07-2019, 08:40 AM
The Mandalorian Episode 7 Set to Include a Sneak Peek of The Rise of Skywalker (https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1112920-the-mandalorian-episode-7-sneak-peek-the-rise-of-skywalker)

Chow directed episode three and is also the sole director for the Obi-Wan series coming in 2021.

I loved her episode and makes me excited for her series.

I didn’t mind that last episode( love me some Ming-na )

But I though it was meh that tatooine made an appearance.

allegate
12-07-2019, 12:32 PM
Some people are saying that they were sitting in the same bar as in Episode 4 but it appears to be too close to the door for that to me.

I wonder who in the Star Wars universe wears spurs.

eversonpoe
12-07-2019, 05:00 PM
i liked this week's episode. more character development for mando, a hilarious appearance from amy sedaris (was never expecting to see her in the star wars universe and i loved it), and more adorableness from baby yoda.

jake cannavale was...fine? idunno, he seemed like he didn't fit into the world because of some of his acting choices; i would have liked to see dave franco in that role.

and yes, that's definitely the cantina from episode IV. i thought it was cool to be on tattooine and see just how different it is now. it didn't feel like overt fan service, just a familiar location in a vast universe.

OH and the sign language with the tusken raiders was amazing. that's the first time we've ever seen someone actually try to communicate with them instead of scaring them off or massacring them.

allegate
12-07-2019, 05:14 PM
read an article that said they used some unused shots from ANH to craft the shots in the show to make the OG Tattooine vibe.

thelastdisciple
12-07-2019, 07:43 PM
Good discussion on the latest episode here and pretty much agreed with their opening remarks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcL8h1tVACA

Shadaloo
12-09-2019, 11:57 AM
I wonder who in the Star Wars universe wears spurs.

Cruisin' Mos Espa in my DeLorean...

thelastdisciple
12-13-2019, 09:38 AM
Great 6th episode but seemingly another dead ender.

allegate
12-13-2019, 10:55 AM
https://twitter.com/JamesRenner/status/1205502903278063622

Wretchedest
12-13-2019, 11:40 PM
I like that the episodes are mostly self contained vignettes. There's a loose thread tying them all together but ultimately each episode is it's own thing and I feel like I've like each one more than the last. I love it.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
12-14-2019, 03:26 AM
I like that the episodes are mostly self contained vignettes. There's a loose thread tying them all together but ultimately each episode is it's own thing and I feel like I've like each one more than the last. I love it.

The last episode was a bit weak as far as self contained out of the bunch for me, but I agree. Some realllly cool shots here like the Burr strobe scene; I was nerding out during that segment.

How the fuck did what's his name survive that door?

dlb
12-14-2019, 06:40 AM
Argh pretty cool to see the Mandalorian in action again, but I really despised the casting on this and the make-up. The concept art looked way cooler than what ended up on screen. The fighting was excellent though!

Yet, absolutely no story progression again and no pay-off for that cliffhanger we got last week. Well, I won't complain about length and story anymore and from now on see this show as my new Saturday morning cartoon that consists of closed off episodes loosely connected to each other.

thelastdisciple
12-14-2019, 07:02 AM
The last episode was a bit weak as far as self contained out of the bunch for me, but I agree. Some realllly cool shots here like the Burr strobe scene; I was nerding out during that segment.

How the fuck did what's his name survive that door?
I'm guessing Devaronians are made out of fire and brimstone lol

Magnetic
12-14-2019, 09:04 AM
Argh pretty cool to see the Mandalorian in action again, but I really despised the casting on this and the make-up. The concept art looked way cooler than what ended up on screen. The fighting was excellent though!

Yet, absolutely no story progression again and no pay-off for that cliffhanger we got last week. Well, I won't complain about length and story anymore and from now on see this show as my new Saturday morning cartoon that consists of closed off episodes loosely connected to each other.

Have to fully agree with this on all accounts. With only two more episodes for the season, it's clear that we're not going to get much further in the story until the second season, which I find kinda annoying.

SM Rollinger
12-14-2019, 10:04 AM
So far I've really enjoyed every episode, I like how their loosely connected. This is the only thing I've truly enjoyed that Disney put out.

dlb
12-14-2019, 11:01 AM
It's still a great watch and I really love the character, but it's ultimately a big fucking tease. I just wish this would be a bit more movie like. But all nitpicking aside I'm really locking forward to the last two episodes! :)

eversonpoe
12-14-2019, 08:42 PM
do i need to put this in a spoiler tag? if so, i'll edit.

my wife and i really did not like episode 6. five (of the six) guest stars, all of whom i love, and not a single likable character between them? heists are supposed to be fun and that was just painful to slog through (other than mando's fighting with both the droids and then the other characters). the moment when baby yoda looks at its hand like "...did i? what?" was its cutest moment yet, but it didn't make up for the rest of the episode. also liked the very end when the x-wings arrived.

i didn't care about it not advancing the story, i like that every episode has been mostly self-contained, i'm just happy to hang out with our two main characters. and i loved the previous two, which have (relatively) low ratings on IMDB, compared to 6, which has a much higher rating. i don't get it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

thelastdisciple
12-15-2019, 07:55 AM
I dunno i didn't think those mercenary characters really needed to be likeable, they're the scum of the universe that the Mando has (or had) to deal with on a regular basis. Shouldn't they have been a bunch of ass hats?

Swykk
12-15-2019, 09:40 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. We got to see the seedy underbelly of bounty hunting and Mando outsmarted and outlasted the pack.

dlb
12-15-2019, 10:50 AM
Well, I'd have to agree but still... I didn't enjoy spending time with those characters. Of course they don't have to be likeable but they weren't cool in any way and I really thought that the Twilek makeup on both of them looked pretty shitty. Every character was a complete ass-hat in that episode besides Mando himself.

Kudos for the Filoni cameo and the X-Wings, though and yup, I really really love the design of the razor crest btw. It's a fucking solid show from front to back and I have accepted the run-time and self-containment of the episodes. It's very enjoyable although I would have wished for a little bit more flesh on the bones.

Wretchedest
12-15-2019, 05:37 PM
I did really hate the entire characterization of the Twilek girl. Like that type is pretty done.

Triggermine
12-15-2019, 08:23 PM
Is anyone else bothered by the use of random baby samples for The Child/Kid/Baby Yoda? It just seems so lazy to me.

dlb
12-16-2019, 04:12 AM
I indeed recognized that they are pretty loud in the mix from time to time. And I would love for him to have something more to do. But I really get huge Gizmo-vibes from him and his cuteness. :D

imail724
12-16-2019, 01:49 PM
Just read this week's episode will be up on Wednesday and will have something (I would guess SOTS-related) after the credits.

eversonpoe
12-16-2019, 01:54 PM
Just read this week's episode will be up on Wednesday and will have something (I would guess SOTS-related) after the credits.

yeah there's some kind of sneak peak of the new film (which i am seeing on thursday) so i will be avoiding that like the plague. i haven't watched anything since the original teaser and i'm not changing that now. it's been hilarious when an ad has come on and my wife and i plug our ears, look down at the floor, and both go LALALALALALALALALA

allegate
12-16-2019, 02:59 PM
watched E6 yesterday and there really wasn't anything to like about any of the new characters. I mean, I like The Kurgan well enough but that was just too much bro anger. Bill Burr is whatever. Both Twis were terrible. Moss was the only one I liked and he was a robot.

WTF was up with the ending? "is it a tracker" "seems like a tracker" "yup it's a tracker" *proceeds to blow the hell out of the tracker*

sonic_discord
12-16-2019, 08:34 PM
yeah there's some kind of sneak peak of the new film (which i am seeing on thursday) so i will be avoiding that like the plague. i haven't watched anything since the original teaser and i'm not changing that now. it's been hilarious when an ad has come on and my wife and i plug our ears, look down at the floor, and both go LALALALALALALALALA

My best friend basically treats ANY trailer for any movie he's remotely interested in this way. I think he's taken it to a kind of ridiculous level, but I do understand the desire to go in as blind as possible to preserve surprises and avoid spoilers.

Conan The Barbarian
12-18-2019, 11:39 AM
Wow, alot of emotions in this episode.

This is the best show on a streaming platform right now.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
12-18-2019, 05:46 PM
Episode was grand, with a brilliant casting choice at the end of it. But the end though **sheds tear**

Swykk
12-18-2019, 06:30 PM
Damn, that was a very harrowing episode.

Cant wait for the finale.

eversonpoe
12-19-2019, 12:16 AM
my heart :'(

that was such a good episode. did they actually film parts of it in a volcanic area? that looked so real. and the fuckin' DRAGONS!? i know that's not really what they were...but that's totally what they were.

also, totally didn't realize that cara dune has a rebel alliance insignia tattooed on her cheek...i thought it was a birthmark haha

dlb
12-19-2019, 04:14 AM
That's what I'm talking about! Hell of an episode and finally some overlaying story. Can't wait for the pay-off! And the CGI in this is leaps and bounds better than the first few episodes.

SM Rollinger
12-19-2019, 10:58 AM
I had no idea Giancarlo Esposito was cast in this show.... What a treat!

allegate
12-19-2019, 11:20 AM
my heart :'(

that was such a good episode. did they actually film parts of it in a volcanic area? that looked so real. and the fuckin' DRAGONS!? i know that's not really what they were...but that's totally what they were.

also, totally didn't realize that cara dune has a rebel alliance insignia tattooed on her cheek...i thought it was a birthmark hahait's possible they filmed in a location but the tech they're using doesn't require them to go to that many locations.

https://qz.com/1754288/disney-is-trying-to-revolutionize-filmmaking-with-the-mandalorian/

Magnetic
12-19-2019, 09:14 PM
Ack! What an episode!! Hell of a cliff hanger.... and =(

Space Suicide
12-22-2019, 04:06 PM
First cliffhanger from a TV series I've seen in awhile that made me annoyed.

Luckily only one week to go.

dlb
12-23-2019, 04:03 AM
I'll be mad if the last episode is only 30 minutes and full of joy if they come up with a nice long 1h episode. Let's see! There's plenty to unfold with this last one! And it's Waitit's episode after all....

And wow:

https://en.wikipedia.org/api/rest_v1/page/graph/png/The_Mandalorian/0/b338c5048c35ba91f34025bdd08941fd93833c17.png

Strange that Filoni's episode turned out to be the worst, yet I didn't think it was THAT bad. Gotta agree on episode 6 though...

Self.Destructive.Pattern
12-27-2019, 07:36 AM
Questionable dialogue here and there, but overall satisfying conclusion for the finale. I'm going nuts thinking where season 2 is going to go!!!

thelastdisciple
12-27-2019, 06:29 PM
HOLY SHIT, MOFF GIDEON HAS THE DARK SABER!

youtube.com/watch?v=VFQAGrF1NrI

youtube.com/watch?v=XD9i6Du1u8E

youtube.com/watch?v=apucPzdk3ec

Removed embed and just posted text links as not to spoil. Sorry @SM Rollinger (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1705)

SM Rollinger
12-27-2019, 06:51 PM
Spoiler warning please?

Space Suicide
12-27-2019, 08:05 PM
Great finale and wonderful closer to a potential ending and continuation. I hope they continue this. I would love more.

I love the Kylo Ren character from the new Trilogy but this one season was easily better than all 3 of the new films combined. I liked every character and setting. It felt organic and lovable.

I still never gave a shit about Finn or Poe in Rise of Skywalker or their motivations. Even Weather's Karga character, who was shown as a straight line dick bounty hunter, I cared about at the last 2 episodes. I liked IG, Karga, Cara and Mandalorian as a group at the end. Even, Kuiil.

SM Rollinger
12-27-2019, 09:01 PM
HOLY SHIT, MOFF GIDEON HAS THE DARK SABER!

youtube.com/watch?v=VFQAGrF1NrI

youtube.com/watch?v=XD9i6Du1u8E

youtube.com/watch?v=apucPzdk3ec

Removed embed and just posted text links as not to spoil. Sorry @SM Rollinger (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1705)

Its ok, I figured something was up with it when half the star wars YouTube channels I am subscribed to had new videos about the Darksaber up this morning.

I plan on watching the new episode before bed tonight!! :)

wizfan
12-27-2019, 09:02 PM
A very interesting article on how Baby Yoda is the culmination of a crazy decade in film and a stark reminder of Hollywood's status quo:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/baby-yoda-represents-past-present-future-hollywood-1263588

Space Suicide
12-27-2019, 09:19 PM
I'm a big dumb baby and pre-ordered the little guy for the hell of it. He'll be cool hanging out in my room.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/811PjYHW55L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Wretchedest
12-28-2019, 12:55 AM
Perfect first season

imail724
12-28-2019, 01:30 PM
That finale was easily the best episode of the season. I wonder how much that has to do with Waititi directing.

eversonpoe
12-28-2019, 10:17 PM
only cried three times, i'm fine...

that little wave was the cutest.

Callahan
12-31-2019, 06:14 PM
That finale was easily the best episode of the season. I wonder how much that has to do with Waititi directing.

I wasn't paying attention to who directed each episode, but as soon as I saw the target practice scene with the Storm Troopers, my immediate thought was that it was Waititi directing it! That's his style of humor, and a lot of Marvel/Disney movies seems to be adopting his little humor tactics these days.

bobbie solo
01-08-2020, 05:18 PM
https://youtu.be/Efskcq_mqv4

imail724
01-09-2020, 09:14 AM
bobbie solo pretty refreshing to see Mike and Rich actually like something SW related these days. Honestly surprised they liked it as much as they did. Made me want to go back and rewatch the whole season again.

bobbie solo
01-10-2020, 05:13 PM
They are reasonable. Sure their entire channel is built on snark, but they're smart, fair critics all the same.

wizfan
01-10-2020, 08:55 PM
Now, this was a piece of good Star Wars.

october_midnight
01-15-2020, 12:28 PM
Not sure as to the validity of this...but Janina's response is interesting at least.

https://twitter.com/Janina/status/1217495864228212737

thelastdisciple
01-15-2020, 12:45 PM
Not sure as to the validity of this...but Janina's response is interesting at least.

https://twitter.com/Janina/status/1217495864228212737
Oh holy shit, i didn't even think of crossover from Star Wars games. That would be bad ass!

october_midnight
01-15-2020, 01:15 PM
For sure. I'm still skeptical as a few wikipedia searches for some other names bore no fruit...and it seems it sort of has people from the movies as well making cameos (i.e. Mon Mothma) so who knows haha. Big if true, though.

ryanmcfly
01-15-2020, 01:31 PM
Big Agents of Shield fan, I would be quite happy if Chloe Bennett is in this.

dlb
01-16-2020, 09:32 AM
Would be quite a hype if that list was real. But please leave Bill Burr out of this...

allegate
01-16-2020, 10:42 AM
what, you didn't like the guy from Space-Boston?

Kodiak33
01-16-2020, 01:53 PM
I love Bill Burr but...yeah that took me out of it.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
01-16-2020, 08:54 PM

I liked his performance, but the writing was sooo tropey and predictable for his character.

GulDukat
01-17-2020, 05:38 AM
I'm late to the party, as I got my copy off Ebay (bootleg). Only one episode in, but yeah, like 100 times better than TROS.

Erneuert
01-17-2020, 08:36 AM

Yeah, that’s like when the host of The Soup became a central character in The X-Files reboot. Joel McHale. It’s like yeah... but nah.

wizfan
01-17-2020, 09:26 AM

Did anyone catch Brian Posehn's cameo? (https://www.inverse.com/article/60855-the-mandalorian-star-wars-brian-posehn-cameo) I sure didn't...

allegate
01-17-2020, 09:31 AM
Did anyone catch Brian Posehn's cameo? (https://www.inverse.com/article/60855-the-mandalorian-star-wars-brian-posehn-cameo) I sure didn't...

I knew that every character with a speaking part was a cameo of someone I should know and I recognized him but the blue guy I'd never heard of so just figured it was outside my sphere of influence. I didn't bother looking any of them up because it was more fun seeing if I could figure it out, like when the Clancy Brown showed up and I recognized his voice. Helped that we had just watched that episode of The Crown a few days earlier, lol.

dlb
01-17-2020, 10:12 AM
Nothing against Burr himself, but that role was shit and so was the whole episode. I really don't want to see those outlaws again. Apart from the fighting this was the weakest episode for me.

october_midnight
01-17-2020, 12:55 PM
https://scontent.fyka1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.15752-9/83707114_126963175102546_7725287886391607296_n.png ?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ohc=NRVfUSsZWqgAX9BSIXd&_nc_ht=scontent.fyka1-1.fna&oh=fbe425256be44959b31a6a96f3ce8373&oe=5E9DC841

'Damn, I could've made even more bank with this little fucker.'

eversonpoe
01-17-2020, 01:17 PM
'Damn, I could've made even more bank with this little fucker.'

i want someone to photoshop that meme of the girl running away but replace her with baby yoda and make george lucas chasing them XD

SM Rollinger
01-17-2020, 02:00 PM
october_midnight
https://i.imgur.com/5APkkEs.jpg

october_midnight
01-17-2020, 02:48 PM
lmaoooo