PDA

View Full Version : South Park

Halo Infinity
11-10-2019, 04:26 PM
With all the South Park fans around here, I was wondering about how the franchise was taken as far as video games went on ETS. I actually forgot that there were still video games of South Park being released, but was occasionally reminded that it was still a thing when I saw advertisements and references to South Park: The Stick of Truth and South Park: The Fractured but Whole.

The only South Park games I really ever played were just South Park, South Park: Chef's Luv Shack and South Park Rally, all of which I enjoyed so far, especially as multi-player games. I might consider collecting some of those games again, along with any other games that came out in between, but I just somehow forgot more games were being made after South Park Rally.

Jinsai
11-10-2019, 05:43 PM
Stick of Truth and Fractured But Whole were great but flawed games. They did a good job of capturing the feel of the show, but they didn't function well enough as a standalone concept. Stick of Truth was the better of the two.

kdrcraig
11-11-2019, 07:36 AM
Stick of Truth was great, really enjoyed that one. I couldn't get into the battle system in Fractured But Whole so I gave up on it.

wizfan
11-11-2019, 01:29 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed both games. TFBW was plagued by some forced Ubisoft-ness (crafting, grinding etc.), but the payoff was sooo worth it.

sonic_discord
11-11-2019, 02:06 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed both games. TFBW was plagued by some forced Ubisoft-ness (crafting, grinding etc.), but the payoff was sooo worth it.

I also thoroughly enjoyed both games (played them both twice). It's almost a toss-up as to which was the funnier one, but TSOT was definitely the more shocking of the two and felt more old school. I enjoyed all of the references to the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the Coon & Friends episodes of the show in TFBW. I also liked that both games had different battle systems, as it kept it from getting old.

fillow
11-12-2019, 03:09 AM
It took me two years to finally notice a word play in TFBW title... D'oh!

wizfan
11-12-2019, 07:02 AM
TSOT was definitely the more shocking of the two and felt more old school.

"The ESRB is going crazy!"

Jinsai
11-12-2019, 09:21 AM
my biggest issues with both games (outside of the combat, which is pretty crappy in both imo, and is never really a challenge... though at least in Stick of Truth it went by faster...) was that a lot of the scenarios and situations were really just fan service direct references to plotlines already gone through in the show. It was fun in small bursts, but it really took over in parts that derailed the otherwise awesome story.

sonic_discord
11-12-2019, 03:18 PM
my biggest issues with both games (outside of the combat, which is pretty crappy in both imo, and is never really a challenge... though at least in Stick of Truth it went by faster...) was that a lot of the scenarios and situations were really just fan service direct references to plotlines already gone through in the show. It was fun in small bursts, but it really took over in parts that derailed the otherwise awesome story.

I know what you mean, but it didn't usually feel gratuitous to me. It felt like seeing them play their "greatest hits" a bit at times. It did, however, make me realize how badly I want them to make another South Park movie. SO MUCH has happened on the show since Bigger, Longer, & Uncut hit theaters in 1999. There have been a few three-part episodes that partially functioned as mini-movies (Imaginationland, the Coon & Friends episodes, and the Game of Thrones inspired trilogy about the PS4 vs. X-Box battle), not to mention the recent season-long arcs that have become common, but still, there NEEDS to be another movie.