PDA

View Full Version : The Matrix

Kodiak33
08-20-2019, 03:18 PM
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/matrix-4-keanu-reeves-carrie-anne-moss-lana-wachowski-1203307955/

It's happening...holy shit.

october_midnight
08-20-2019, 03:19 PM
Oh my good sweet zombie jesus.

fillow
08-20-2019, 04:15 PM
Just Lana W. but not Lilly? I thought they always worked together

Self.Destructive.Pattern
08-20-2019, 05:18 PM
Woah...

MrLobster
08-20-2019, 05:58 PM
I'll watch.

Erneuert
08-20-2019, 06:07 PM
This is breathtaking.

eversonpoe
08-20-2019, 08:19 PM
Just Lana W. but not Lilly? I thought they always worked together

my thoughts, as well. also wondering why no laurence fisburne?

Wretchedest
08-20-2019, 08:56 PM
It's actually very hard to imagine what a modern matrix movie would be like. The nature of technology and the internet bhas changed pretty significantly since these were last a thing. What could be done now that would put this one in a better place than the previous two

october_midnight
08-20-2019, 09:56 PM
It's actually very hard to imagine what a modern matrix movie would be like. The nature of technology and the internet bhas changed pretty significantly since these were last a thing. What could be done now that would put this one in a better place than the previous two

My first thought exactly. Revolutions was 2003, so assuming this hits in like 2021 or 2022...just imagine. I’m pumped.

Wretchedest
08-20-2019, 10:12 PM
I would assume you would need almost a complete reboot... The Matrix Rebooted? A post smart phone matrix is exciting for sure, you couldn't do this thing without Keanu.

Haysey_Draws
08-21-2019, 02:40 AM
Keanu is hot shit right now and they could really do something amazing with how technology has changed...but on the flip side i remember how bummed i was with the 2nd and 3rd films...i'm still a bit pessimistic on this.

bobbie solo
08-22-2019, 02:04 AM
The Cave Rave is still probably the worst scene I've ever watched in a movie (maybe some stuff in I Heart Huckabees is worse). The douche chills it gave me...my god.

Wretchedest
08-22-2019, 02:10 AM
The action scenes in reloaded are at least worth a damn but the rest of both of those movies is all yikes

Exocet
08-22-2019, 03:14 AM
the animatrix was better than the sequels, watching them made me realize how much they squandered the sequels, every single story was better, proves they have many roads to take this series down, the sequels were a mess, barely remember them, apart from that mind blowing highway chase scene in reloaded, apart from that it was philosophical gobbeldy goo,

thelastdisciple
08-22-2019, 03:17 AM
I've always felt that on their own Reloaded and Revolutions aren't great movies especially not in comparison to the original but watching both in succession works pretty well in a Kill Bill vol 01 to vol 02 way. A lot of goofy early 00s CG certainly held the films down a few rungs and yes the rave/Neo+Trinity sex scene was soooo dumb.

They went overboard with style and didn't take it as seriously the 2nd and 3rd time around. ( lol remember the bowling pin sound when the smiths were knocked over? )

Damned if i don't enjoy watching the burly brawl and chateau fight though or the Highway Chase/Keymaker sequence. The sentinels vs. mech battle, Neo vs. Smith in the rain with their power levels over 9000. Amazing score and soundtracks!

If you simply enjoy the characters and world the sequels provide, they are entertaining enough. The games weren't that great but Enter the Matrix really sucked me in at the time, i thought it was so cool how the game fit in with Reloaded, it sort of elevated my enjoyment of the movie even more and then there was the Animatrix. I lost my mind when i first saw The Final Flight of Osiris, i remember wanting so much more from some of those shorts and i thought it was a great way to expand the universe, could certainly see an example of what some spin off movies or side stories could be like.

This new Matrix movie that's being proposed, i can't wait to see what they'll cook up for us. Let's hope the wilder aspects are reigned in a bit and we get some more substance, at least a more healthy balance.

Bring on the technology, bring on the philosophy and the religious allegories!

sonic_discord
08-22-2019, 09:30 PM
The Matrix Reloaded was still pretty good. Revolutions was the one that was mediocre. I don't know how they'll continue the story, given that the only characters confirmed to be returning died in the original trilogy, but I have faith that they have a good idea of how to tackle that.

my thoughts, as well. also wondering why no laurence fisburne?

Apparently the rumor is that they're looking for an actor to play a younger version of Morpheus, which may explain the absence of Lawrence Fishbourne's name in the announcement. Or maybe they're still negotiating salary with him? Maybe the plot of the movie will involve time travel, or traveling to a previous version of The Matrix where younger versions of some of the characters exist? Who knows, but I'm really hoping they come up with a story that blows me away as much as the first movie did back in '99.

MrLobster
08-22-2019, 10:47 PM
*ahem*

"head with a hole! black as my soul! I'd rather die than give you control!" (joke I made back in '99 after finishing watching the movie)

M1ke
08-22-2019, 11:18 PM
Why?

Vertigo
08-23-2019, 03:08 AM
The Matrix Reloaded was still pretty good. Revolutions was the one that was mediocre.

Other way around IMO. Reloaded spends most of its screentime on action sequences that are narratively near-worthless (Neo vs a million Smiths ends in a stalemate, there's basically no reason for Seraph to fight Neo, Trinity's powerstation bombing gets repeated frame-for-frame, retrieving the Keymaker is a small plotbeat that seems to take half the movie). It has the major problem that Neo suddenly has trouble winning any fights when he spent all of the first movie becoming a god. They allude to stuff that's presumably in Enter The Matrix and other non-movie sources. And while they spend vast chunks of the film on stuff that doesn't matter, important narrative beats either happen off-screen, or are rushed through so quickly that it's tricky to figure out what it is or why it's happening (the crew of that other ship all dying apparently because of a broken gangplank, the Architect's notorious monologue). Reloaded feels like a bloated film made by creators who were smug with their own success.

Revolutions on the other hand has the biggest emotional beats of the series, one of the greatest epic battle sequences ever filmed, great doom-laden atmosphere, and manages to deliver what I thought was a satisfying conclusion to the mess that was Reloaded. It also doesn't have the depowered Neo problem, given that he only has one fight in the matrix, and it's versus another godlike figure.

Revolutions is almost on par with the original for me. Both sequels, however, could have benefited from more non-CGI martial arts. There's not a lot of it, and it's a big part of why the original is such a classic.

sonic_discord
08-23-2019, 11:09 AM
Vertigo I haven't watched the sequels in several years, so I'll have to rewatch them. Maybe I'll agree with you all this time later, but I remember liking the 2nd one more than the 3rd one. I just remember groaning at Tinity's death scene and Neo's self-sacrifice with the Christ-pose. Also, why do the AI bad guys always have to be personified with a face? Terminator Salvation did it with Skynet, too.

valiantsteed
08-23-2019, 02:06 PM
The Cave Rave is still probably the worst scene I've ever watched in a movie (maybe some stuff in I Heart Huckabees is worse). The douche chills it gave me...my god.

Whoa whoa whoa. I Heart Huckabees is fucking hilarious and awesome.

october_midnight
12-11-2019, 03:04 PM
The as-of-yet untitled 4th Matrix movie will drop on May 21, 2021.

Cast so far:

• Keanu Reeves • Carrie-Anne Moss• Jada Pinkett Smith• Yahya Abdul Mateen • Neil Patrick Harris • Jessica Henwick • Jonathan Groff• Toby Onwumere

SM Rollinger
12-11-2019, 04:02 PM
I find it difficult to believe Lawrence Fishburne isn't coming back too...

thelastdisciple
12-11-2019, 07:17 PM
The as-of-yet untitled 4th Matrix movie will drop on May 21, 2021.

Cast so far:

• Keanu Reeves • Carrie-Anne Moss• Jada Pinkett Smith• Yahya Abdul Mateen • Neil Patrick Harris • Jessica Henwick • Jonathan Groff• Toby Onwumere
Great cast!

NPH is maybe the odd one out but perhaps they have a kooky Merovingian style role for him.

eversonpoe
12-11-2019, 07:37 PM
Great cast!

NPH is maybe the odd one out but perhaps they have a kooky Merovingian style role for him.

he was legitimately unsettling in gone girl, so i feel like he could easily pull off a dramatic role in this!

SM Rollinger
12-11-2019, 07:48 PM
he was legitimately unsettling in gone girl, so i feel like he could easily pull off a dramatic role in this!

No doubt! I'm glad I'm not the only one skeeved out by his performance in GG.

eversonpoe
12-11-2019, 10:52 PM
No doubt! I'm glad I'm not the only one skeeved out by his performance in GG.

like i really believed he was going to try to kill her. obsession is a terrifying thing.

anyway, i think he'll be great in whatever role in the matrix, i'm very curious to see what they do with the film (and i'm very disappointed that laurence fishburne isn't involved).

Haysey_Draws
12-12-2019, 02:48 AM
So this has the same release date as John Mother-Fucking Wick 4...hollywood making us choose which Keanu we want more, rather then say give us one a month!

RJK
12-12-2019, 08:14 AM
So this has the same release date as John Mother-Fucking Wick 4...hollywood making us choose which Keanu we want more, rather then say give us one a month!I feel like there is a 100% chance one of the gets delayed

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Haysey_Draws
12-12-2019, 08:44 AM
I feel like there is a 100% chance one of the gets delayed

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Or Hollywood doubles down and gives us Bill and Ted 3 as well :eek:

eversonpoe
12-12-2019, 09:26 AM
THREE KEANUS, ONE NIGHT

prepare thyself

october_midnight
12-12-2019, 09:33 AM
Or Hollywood doubles down and gives us Bill and Ted 3 as well :eek:

Surely the universe couldn't contain that. Never divide by zero.

allegate
12-26-2019, 02:39 PM
https://twitter.com/CBR/status/1210298260465827843

but if Keanu is coming back, what's this recasting for?

onthewall2983
12-26-2019, 02:47 PM
Maybe it's not a recasting?

tricil
12-26-2019, 03:44 PM
Maybe it's not a recasting?

What if i told you Dr. Manhattan is in the Matrix?

eversonpoe
12-26-2019, 07:27 PM
but if Keanu is coming back, what's this recasting for?

not sure why but it seems like laurence fishburne was never attached. which is too bad, because i adore him. but yahya seems like a good choice for the character!

Space Suicide
12-26-2019, 07:53 PM
So this has the same release date as John Mother-Fucking Wick 4...hollywood making us choose which Keanu we want more, rather then say give us one a month!

2021?

John Wick by a mile. The first Matrix was the only good movie.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
12-26-2019, 10:18 PM
2021?

John Wick by a mile. The first Matrix was the only good movie.

John Wick for me as well, but I'll wind up seeing both in one night if the dates stick. The Matrix was also my favorite out of the bunch, Reloaded is a close second due to all the great action scenes in that movie. Plus, we were able to see Neo's powers for the first time even though the CGI for that Oracle fight hasn't aged well at all lol.

october_midnight
01-21-2020, 12:39 PM
Bah. Due to scheduling conflicts, Hugo Weaving will not (https://www.timeout.com/london/news/hugo-weaving-explains-why-he-wasnt-in-avengers-endgame-and-wont-be-appearing-in-the-new-matrix-012020?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&cid=~london~natsoc~twitter~echobox#Echobox=1579543 332) be in the next Matrix movie.

eversonpoe
01-21-2020, 02:11 PM
Bah. Due to scheduling conflicts, Hugo Weaving will not (https://www.timeout.com/london/news/hugo-weaving-explains-why-he-wasnt-in-avengers-endgame-and-wont-be-appearing-in-the-new-matrix-012020?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&cid=~london~natsoc~twitter~echobox#Echobox=1579543 332) be in the next Matrix movie.

then they should reschedule it

https://media3.giphy.com/media/aQvP84KEtXbKU/giphy.gif

ImTheWiseJanitor
01-21-2020, 04:25 PM

Missed opportunity for a perfect ‘Hugo Leaving’ joke.

october_midnight
06-09-2020, 01:18 PM
New article on the 4th Matrix film, with Keanu and Carrie-Anne Moss quotes about the script. (https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/06/keanu-reeves-matrix-4-plot-tease-explanation)

october_midnight
06-12-2020, 08:11 PM
Annnd the dominoes continue to fall.

The 4th Matrix delayed an entire year...now in 2022.

sonic_discord
06-15-2020, 12:13 PM
Fuck... that sucks. I'm really curious to know more about how they're bringing Neo and Trinity back. Also wonder if they plan on bringing Morpheus back in some form.

mfte
06-17-2020, 02:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSVlOAocn8E

october_midnight
01-30-2021, 05:37 PM
Fourth film officially titled ‘The Matrix: Resurrections”.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
01-30-2021, 05:54 PM

The good ol' resurrection sub title.

wizfan
01-30-2021, 06:37 PM
The good ol' resurrection sub title.

If it ain't broke, right?

imail724
01-30-2021, 08:39 PM
Is there any universe where this sequel is actually good?

thelastdisciple
01-31-2021, 05:24 AM
I actually like that they're continuing with the naming convention of the sequels.

Reloaded
Revolutions
Resurrections

Even the documentary was called Revisited lol

I do agree with how cliche the use of the word is in film though, at least they were thoughtful enough not to called it The Matrix: Rebooted. That would just be a synonym for Reloaded anyways but hell you could even argue Resurrection is a bit of a synonym, at least it sounds like it has different meaning to it.

wizfan
01-31-2021, 08:50 AM
That would just be a synonym for Reloaded anyways but hell you could even argue Resurrection is a bit of a synonym, at least it sounds like it has different meaning to it.

I agree, and it's tapping more into the "religious" aspect of the movies, rather than the "computer/hacking" aspect.

mfte
02-03-2021, 04:44 PM
The shoulda dropped "The" just "Matrix" it's cleaner.

neorev
02-04-2021, 02:44 AM
ReMatrix

thelastdisciple
02-04-2021, 06:13 AM
Did somebody say Matrix? 🤣

I hope someone gets the reference.

https://i.ibb.co/TkPrxrG/Matrix-character-page.png

allegate
02-04-2021, 09:54 AM
the only reference that comes to mind...

https://media4.giphy.com/media/3ohs4pxZmpBNLkIqAw/giphy.gif

allegate
05-21-2021, 03:46 PM

covid heard your call. it's all your fault.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1395831425149009925

neorev
05-21-2021, 05:20 PM
Gonna have to wait until December 22nd for M4trix.

sonic_discord
05-21-2021, 07:27 PM
M4trix.

Oh God. Please don't let them call it that...

october_midnight
05-21-2021, 08:38 PM
It’s actually a move up...was originally planned to release four months later than December. It’s also still called The Matrix: Resurrections.

allegate
08-25-2021, 06:02 PM
The Matrix 4 has a new title, but no trailer yet
Footage of the upcoming Matrix sequel shows Keanu Reeves enjoying a Matrix resurrection. (https://www.cnet.com/news/the-matrix-4-resurrections-new-title-but-no-trailer-yet/)

Matrix: Resurrections

the footage/plot described seems at odds with the whole thing unless there is a matrix-inside-a-matrix thing.

neorev
08-25-2021, 09:51 PM
Neil Patrick Harris is actually a version of The Architect trying to unlock some secret code buried in Neo's mind that will end the resurrections of The One.. So he makes himself appear as a therapist, trying to probe his thoughts for the clues. Creating a personal Matrix in order to use the information on the real Matrix. Trinity and Neo died in the machine city, hence why they're in this faux Matrix and why Morpheus is not there. He is alive and in Zion. The machines took Neo and Trinity's bodies because something about their connection in the key. They keep finding each other in these resurrections.

I'm just spitballing here :p

Kodiak33
08-26-2021, 08:33 AM
Neil Patrick Harris is actually a version of The Architect trying to unlock some secret code buried in Neo's mind that will end the resurrections of The One.. So he makes himself appear as a therapist, trying to probe his thoughts for the clues. Creating a personal Matrix in order to use the information on the real Matrix. Trinity and Neo died in the machine city, hence why they're in this faux Matrix and why Morpheus is not there. He is alive and in Zion. The machines took Neo and Trinity's bodies because something about their connection in the key. They keep finding each other in these resurrections.

Damn, I'd believe it lol

allegate
08-26-2021, 10:07 AM

lol, that's literally what I thought too when reading it because I can see him as being a 'younger' version of that program. the only thing I'd add is that they didn't really die in the city - you think that machines that have kept humans alive in pods for however many years haven't learned a thing or two about how to care for the bodies? - but are in some kind of stasis. but yeah, that's why Morpheus isn't there.

and maybe - this is where the real fun begins - maybe Morpheus is there but a different body because he's trying to infiltrate the stasis to free them again and doesn't want the machines to know he's there.

october_midnight
09-07-2021, 11:16 AM
First trailer Sept 9. Official website launched at www.whatisthematrix.com

https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1435274889443753984

Sweet, sweet screengrabs.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1435272346474999812

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdskyfJtyt8&ab_channel=WarnerBros.Pictures

october_midnight
09-07-2021, 11:26 AM
https://thechoiceisyours.whatisthematrix.com/generated/v7/high/c8ee7f881b2b6c8d07b00bbe8248f0be.mp4

allegate
09-07-2021, 11:50 AM
yep, looks like a Matrix made in the 20s but with John Wick sensibilities.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

allegate
09-07-2021, 04:11 PM
https://twitter.com/_TheSmartAlec1/status/1435273560252198917?s=20

that's pretty cool. and tedious. I wonder if they did an AI bot or if they had him record every possible time?

Self.Destructive.Pattern
09-07-2021, 04:20 PM
Bahahaha, I'm cracking up... It's fucking John Wick.

fillow
09-07-2021, 05:36 PM
Not digging the JW look at all. Very out of place here.
Apart from that, I'm optimistic.

Something Underneath
09-07-2021, 05:44 PM
Looks bland as hell but considering wachowskis have been on a downward spiral as filmmakers at the very least it doesn't look as ugly as Jupiter Ascending...

allegate
09-07-2021, 05:50 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E-tmtoIXMAMlBNx?format=jpg&name=large

huh, that's weird.

thelastdisciple
09-07-2021, 06:19 PM
The machines took Neo and Trinity's bodies because something about their connection in the key. They keep finding each other in these resurrections.

I know this isn't a confirmed plot of the movie although it sounds plausible enough but reading that again gave me huge Adjustment Bureau vibes.

muad'nin
09-08-2021, 03:26 AM
Looks bland as hell but considering wachowskis have been on a downward spiral as filmmakers at the very least it doesn't look as ugly as Jupiter Ascending...

Damn. I thought Jupiter Ascending looked spectacular. And Sense8 was fucking sublime and beautiful; one of my favourite shows of the last few years.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
09-08-2021, 08:13 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E-tmtoIXMAMlBNx?format=jpg&name=large

huh, that's weird.

Yes, definitely some intriguing things going on here.

thelastdisciple
09-09-2021, 08:17 AM
Buckle your seat belt Dorothy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ix7TUGVYIo

october_midnight
09-09-2021, 08:32 AM
Inject this directly into my veins.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
09-09-2021, 08:46 AM
So... This was the Cyberpunk we were all really promised. What... A... Trailer...

MrLobster
09-09-2021, 09:03 AM
The elevator scene sold the movie for me.

The bullet dodges by the agents look so much better now.

allegate
09-09-2021, 09:57 AM
https://twitter.com/RyanHigginsRyan/status/1435980068354867213

I can't disagree here, unless there's something truly groundbreaking it's just treading the same ground that movies are on right now anyway.

It's going to be pretty awesome, but it's also going to be doing a lot of the same stuff as A) The Matrix and B) movies in general.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
09-09-2021, 10:14 AM
Kind of weird to call something cliche that actually started the movement of what we get today... It was because of The Matrix. I see why some would feel this way, but many action films have pretty much been a carbon copy of what the OG film brought to the big screen. If anything, this can potentially be a breath of fresh air from what we got back in 1999, or like the post entails... And potential cliche fest.

Also, kind of cool that the Dreamcast was released in NA today. Happened to look up the old 9/9/99 ad and it's inspired by The Matrix lol...

https://youtu.be/km5-OACKRjA

allegate
09-09-2021, 10:45 AM
Yeah I'm really hoping that something new is here. I can see hints of it, but also I can see a natural progression of Matrix + John Wick + Dragon Ball Z elevation of fights and effects. It looks natural now what they're doing instead of 'oh you can see where a wire was attached because of the physics involved".

edit:

oh, this is a thing?

https://twitter.com/clintworthing/status/1435968123128238082?s=20

burnmotherfucker!
09-09-2021, 11:58 AM
Yeah there's just no way I can have an unbiased opinion on this. I've always loved the original. The first time I saw it I was at a friends house and he threw in a vhs of it and we saw the first scene and then something came up and I had to go. He said here just take it with you. I still have that tape somewhere. I threw it in and watched it until about 2a.m. and my little mind was blown at the time. It's easy to take for granted just how dope it was back then because of the influence it's had. But unlike much of the stuff that came later and imitated it, the ideas were what was cool to me. Probably one of the reasons I later became interested in philosophy because the whole movie is analogous to Plato's cave. It was the whole questioning of the limits of human knowledge that I kind of latched onto.

Hell, I even love the sequels for what they are. Public opinion be damned. They were never going to top the first. You can only drop down the rabbit hole once. Once you've seen what's down there, nothing is going to feel as profound as that initial drop. That'll probably be true for this film as well. You just can't undo and then redo the greatness of the original. I just hope most people realize this and temper their expectations accordingly.

Not crazy about Morpheus not being in this one, it just doesn't feel right but here's to hoping they don't drop the ball entirely with this new one.

allegate
09-09-2021, 01:44 PM
https://twitter.com/MooreSaiyan/status/1435385772367044610

marodi
09-09-2021, 03:33 PM
The person who edited this trailer deserves all the awards on the planet.

I was very meh when this movie was announced but now, I. Cannot. Wait.

Remember what the Dormouse said!

allegate
09-09-2021, 04:45 PM
[Sati] "Will We Ever See Him Again?"
[Oracle] "I Suspect So...Someday."huh

elevenism
09-09-2021, 06:44 PM
I think it looks badass.
I get the feeling that it's going to be a soft reboot. I expect easter eggs from the OT, but I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell of this movie requiring viewers to understand, or even REMEMBER, much of what happened in parts two and three. I doubt it will even necessarily require familiarity with the first one.

For one thing, NOBODY understands all of the OT.

Secondly, they're looking to get the attention of the most profitable demographic, which is 18-24. That ain't us, and those people certainly didn't see the OG when it came out TWENTY TWO YEARS AGO. Damn, y'all. I feel old.

The lack of Morpheus is painful- LF has been one of my favorite actors since Higher Learning, but perhaps we'll get a cameo.

Also, if this isn't a trilogy, I'll eat my hat.

Mr. Blaileen
09-10-2021, 03:10 PM
The new trailer is fucking great. I'm so glad it's in just a few months instead of summer of '22 or something.

MrLobster
09-10-2021, 09:55 PM
theory -- this is the movie is Neo had stayed in the Matrix and then maybe gets woken up much later in life.

Erneuert
09-11-2021, 02:40 AM
Do you think the only reason why he didn’t go for the classic clean-cut, short-haired Neo is because he was filming the next John Wick sequel at the same time as this?

He never ages so he’d look exactly like he did back then anyway.

thelastdisciple
09-11-2021, 05:32 AM
Do you think the only reason why he didn’t go for the classic clean-cut, short-haired Neo is because he was filming the next John Wick sequel at the same time as this?

He never ages so he’d look exactly like he did back then anyway.
Yeah that's likely why, weren't both movies originally scheduled to come out on the same day? That would have been insane!

The last couple of movies where Keanu had shorter hair going from his IMDB were The Whole Truth (2016) and Replicas (2018)

https://i.postimg.cc/CKjwMCPD/Screenshot-2021-09-11-at-05-51-30-The-Whole-Truth-2016.png

https://i.postimg.cc/P5vt9n1S/Screenshot-2021-09-11-at-05-54-43-Replicas-2018.png

Erneuert
09-11-2021, 07:41 AM
Fountain of youth.

dlb
09-11-2021, 09:02 AM
Hm, the whole trailer feels very un-Matrix to me or at least I don't get the feeling at all. This could be John Wick 4 and I wouldn't have really noticed it, if there weren't some sci-fi shots in this. And I too would have prefered to have Neo not look like John, but I'm pretty sure this has to do with both movies being filmed in Berlin very close to each other.

Let's see... love me some Jefferson Airplane though. :D

Space Suicide
09-11-2021, 09:30 AM
Hm, the whole trailer feels very un-Matrix to me or at least I don't get the feeling at all. This could be John Wick 4 and I wouldn't have really noticed it, if there weren't some sci-fi shots in this. And I too would have prefered to have Neo not look like John, but I'm pretty sure this has to do with both movies being filmed in Berlin very close to each other.

Let's see... love me some Jefferson Airplane though. :D

I like the Matrix but did we really need another sequel 18 years later? I'll check it out though.

scorpiusdiamond
09-11-2021, 12:01 PM
I like the Matrix but did we really need another sequel 18 years later? I'll check it out though.

I mean, have you seen the state of the film industry lately in terms of remakes/returns? It was inevitable, especially for such a massive Warner Brothers success.

I’m getting big ‘Force Awakens’ rehash vibes from this, is it going to be just fan service or is it going to be cleverer than that?

Wretchedest
09-11-2021, 02:01 PM
It has always, always, always been like that. Did you expect them to never make another matrix movie?

Looks pretty good so far.

thelastdisciple
09-11-2021, 05:23 PM
I have to be honest, I found the trailer for Resurrections kind of jarring on the cinematography front and some of the visual effects look as crappy as the burly brawl. I can excuse the earlier movies for being products of their time but damn i figured 2021 CG would be an improvement?

Now i guess i have to reckon with the fact that this is a movie coming almost 20 years after the last one, so it's bound to look a little different just due to modern filming techniques and practices. What i can't get over though is the absence of any kind of synergy with the other movies. If you had told me this was a sequel to Limitless well.....

So that felt a bit disappointing to see but I'm still curious and interested in how the whole thing is going to play out. They need to really bring it on the story, aesthetics, acting and music the latter of which I'm also a little worried about as it doesn't look like Don Davis has returned to score, on the IMDB page for the movie it lists music by Johnny Klimek and Tom Tykwer. I'm sure they're capable and will bring back the familiar motifs along with something new, I just hope I'll like it.

Not having Hugo Weaving/Smith around doesn't really bother me but the absence of Laurence Fishburne will definitely be felt.

So yeah that's where I'm at, I think I'll go watch the original trilogy and possibly Animatrix again before it comes out.

elevenism
09-11-2021, 05:46 PM
@thelastdisciple (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=199) I'm afraid it's like I said a page or two ago.

No production studio is going to make a movie that requires you to have seen a 20 year old movie.
Most moviegoers are 18-24.
There will be SOME fan service and Easter eggs in the NT, I'd wager, but the bottom line is that this is, ultimately, a soft reboot.

And I'll bet the effects are cool. If I were running this thing, groundbreaking effects would be damn near THE most important thing, second only to a coherent plot. Also, this IS the FIRST trailer.
They may have some more cards up their sleeves.

burnmotherfucker!
09-11-2021, 06:20 PM
I have to be honest, I found the trailer for Resurrections kind of jarring on the cinematography front and some of the visual effects look as crappy as the burly brawl. I can excuse the earlier movies for being products of their time but damn i figured 2021 CG would be an improvement?

Now i guess i have to reckon with the fact that this is a movie coming almost 20 years after the last one, so it's bound to look a little different just due to modern filming techniques and practices. What i can't get over though is the absence of any kind of synergy with the other movies. If you had told me this was a sequel to Limitless well.....

So that felt a bit disappointing to see but I'm still curious and interested in how the whole thing is going to play out. They need to really bring it on the story, aesthetics, acting and music the latter of which I'm also a little worried about as it doesn't look like Don Davis has returned to score, on the IMDB page for the movie it lists music by Johnny Klimek and Tom Tykwer. I'm sure they're capable and will bring back the familiar motifs along with something new, I just hope I'll like it.

Not having Hugo Weaving/Smith around doesn't really bother me but the absence of Laurence Fishburne will definitely be felt.

So yeah that's where I'm at, I think I'll go watch the original trilogy and possibly Animatrix again before it comes out.

Wait, no agent Smith in this one either? I guess I just assumed he'd be back, that's a bummer.

I too felt the cinematography to be a bit off in the trailer. At the very least, I hope that can be explained away by this being another version of the Matrix or something. I mean there's no reason a computer program couldn't change appearance in a later version. But those first three movies all had that drab green tint that was perfect for them. This trailer kind of seemed to emphasize the whole red and blue thing so maybe they're going that route for the color grading too? Neil Patrick Harris has blue glasses for chrissakes.

I really don't care that much about the graphics as long as they're not too shit. It's the story that'll make or break the movie for me. Part of me hopes they get crazy with it and do something totally unexpected. I just really hope the whole red/blue pill thing doesn't end up being some political metaphor or something. Nothing has given me that impression so far but it is 2021 after all.

Neodammerung will be missed, Don Davis killed it. I really don't care how long Neo's hair is, that's silly. Yeah he looks like John Wick but that's also just how Keanu looks most of the time these days. He plays more than one character with that look but John Wick is popular so that's all people see.

I'm going in with low expectations, hopefully it'll warrant it's existence.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
09-13-2021, 08:32 AM
The Matrix still grabs people's attention. Seeing Malignant last night, there were some loud af people in the theater, and the moment this trailer came on, everyone went completely silent and after it was over. The trailer hits very different when you see it on the big screen.

thelastdisciple
09-14-2021, 10:06 AM
The driving motivation for Lana Wachowski in bringing back Neo and Trinity.

https://i.postimg.cc/G3vN7RyR/image.png

https://screenrant.com/matrix-4-resurrections-neo-trinity-return-director-why/

Volband
09-15-2021, 09:32 AM
@thelastdisciple (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=199) I'm afraid it's like I said a page or two ago.

No production studio is going to make a movie that requires you to have seen a 20 year old movie.
There will be SOME fan service and Easter eggs in the NT, I'd wager, but the bottom line is that this is, ultimately, a soft reboot.

And I'll bet the effects are cool. If I were running this thing, groundbreaking effects would be damn near THE most important thing, second only to a coherent plot. Also, this IS the FIRST trailer.
They may have some more cards up their sleeves.
The whole thing feels cheap. You say there will be SOME fan service and easter eggs, yet when I watch the trailer ALL I see is fan service and easter eggs. Once again, we have the case of the memberries. A bunch of nostalgic shit packed into a trailer, so of course we feel it's cool, because it's just a cheap exploitation of nostalgia, and while the movie can throw a 180 at us, so far it seems like it's going to be a 360. I admit, if it turns out that this cheap trailer was to lure in everyone they possibly can through nostalgia, and then the movie ends up being full of original ideas instead of fan service, I have to applaud them - but the state of the movie, gaming or even music industry suggests otherwise.

It's also weird how colorful it is, but oh well. Even if they sticked to the original's gritty aesthetics, you can only catch a lightning in the bottle once. The original movie was much more than just a great movie; it had to be made there and then to be the classic it is today. I'm sure we are going to get some high-budget slow-times and effects but none of them will have the same effect when for instance we saw Neo dodging those bullets on the rooftop - spoilers btw.

All in all, I predict a shit Matrix movie but a fun high-budget action-nonsense movie. After many of the non-sense of episode 2 and 3, no one will have any right to call this movie sacrilege or corrupter of a legacy, because those things are already happened.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
11-17-2021, 05:55 PM
New poster reflects the original and I'm all here for it. Even with Jesus Keanu :D.

https://twitter.com/TheMatrixMovie/status/1461001194000764928?t=jT9TYBeQjVj6su2HaHvBRQ&s=19

hellospaceboy
12-01-2021, 11:48 PM
This new trailer looks amazing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgYs_NDyaLs

sonic_discord
12-02-2021, 09:23 AM
This new trailer looks amazing...

Very much agree! I saw that last night and I am SO intrigued. It doesn't seem like most people are too excited for this movie or talking about it that much, but I think it looks better and better the more I see.

Toadflax
12-02-2021, 01:31 PM
No production studio is going to make a movie that requires you to have seen a 20 year old movie

Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Blade Runner, Bill & Ted, Coming 2 America, Doctor Sleep, Tron: Legacy, Bad Boys, Finding Dory, The Incredibles 2, T2 Trainspotting, the new Spider-Man, much of the MCU for that matter, No Time To Die...

Granted, some of these are soft reboots, but they all require a decent amount of knowledge about a 10-20 year old movie to really appreciate them.

Not at all. Most moviegoers are 25-39. The average 18-24 year-old isn't even super interested in movies/television and instead spends more time on YouTube, IG, TikTok, etc. That's not to say there aren't plenty of 18-24 moviegoers, but they're absolutely not the majority.

As for "fan service," I expect it will be somewhere between the very little you're expecting and the tons the trailers are suggesting (they're obviously going to pull a bunch of familiar stuff for the trailers). This certainly isn't a Force Awakens where Neo and Trinity are the old mentors ushering in the new crowd. The youngest person in the announced cast is like 30.

And as far as what the studio will allow, keep in mind two things: First, this is Lana Wachowski. The studio knows she's going to make something big and weird that may not satisfy everyone. Second and most importantly, the studio in question is Warner Bros., who in the past 16 months released Bill & Ted Face the Music, Tenet, Wonder Woman 1984, Zack Snyder's Justice League, Godzilla vs. Kong, Mortal Kombat, The Suicide Squad, and Dune. Say what you will about the quality of those movies, but it certainly seems like their main goal lately has been letting filmmakers make whatever crazy shit they want instead of forcing them to make nice, neat salable four-quadrant fare.

elevenism
12-02-2021, 02:12 PM
"HMMMMMMMMM @Toadflax (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=669) .
Good points, you've made." -Yoda voice, quite naturally.

1. Yeah, i GUESS i stand corrected on the first part.
but ONLY regarding for SURE Blade Runner 2049 and PROBABLY Coming 2 America.

ALTHOUGH: i'd argue that Indiana Jones didn't require any foreknowledge, nor did Dr Sleep or the new Bad Boys. Tron was...yeah, it was COOLER if you'd seen the first one, but a LOT of people likely hadn't.
And cartoons can serve as just ANY frenetic insanity to entertain kids. Trainspotting 2 ...i can't comment on that one. I'd seen the original more times than i'd like to admit, and carried the nickname Sickboy for several years, for R rated reasons.

I GUESS i'd say there's a difference between understanding every reference, and just digging a movie

The first Star Wars my little niece saw was 7 and she fucking loved it. It kicked off her Star Wars Obsession.

2. I was absolutely wrong about 18-24. I can't believe it, but, i looked at the data, and sure enough. I concede that bit fully.

3. Good point, yes, regarding Warner Bros.

sonic_discord
12-02-2021, 03:15 PM
The Matrix is a pretty massive tent-pole blockbuster franchise that was hugely influential and revolutionary (bullet time alone) in virtually all aspects of pop culture. It has earned the right/ability to expect that the audience has seen the preceding movies and remembers the gist of their plots – especially the first installment, which will likely be the one that really matters, as demonstrated by the latest trailer posted above. And I have to say, I think the VAST majority of the people who will be going to this have definitely seen the whole trilogy, even if they've only seen Reloaded and Revolutions once (because it seems most people hated those). They'll be fine expecting their audience to have seen the other movies and I'm sure they'll remind us of anything that's important in case you haven't revisited the previous movies for many years.

mfte
12-02-2021, 03:35 PM
It only looks amazing because it is mostly comprised of clips from the previous Matrix movies.

Toadflax
12-02-2021, 04:16 PM
I'd argue that Indiana Jones didn't require any foreknowledge, nor did Dr Sleep.

It's weird to call those out, considering the love interest from Crystal Skull is Marion and the entire third act of Dr. Sleep is a reference-heavy return to the Overlook.

But yes, I wasn't saying they're all movies you can't understand without having seen the predecessor, just that they weren't things like Fury Road, where they basically reboot the whole franchise and just keep the name of a character.

hellospaceboy
12-02-2021, 05:01 PM
It only looks amazing because it is mostly comprised of clips from the previous Matrix movies.

That's a pretty (perhaps unintentionally) cynical take, and also I don't think it's true.

It's not like we're all "I can't wait to see bullet time again!" over here, the point of the trailer isn't simply to revisit these familiar moments, but to suggests that they have a story purpose behind them. This "everything repeats" view of the story isn't new to The Matrix, btw, since Reloaded we know that it's part of the mythology. And we're excited to find out what is going on! We can assume that this Neo isn't the same as the one who when through the original trilogy, this is some sort of restating of the simulation, but with some kind of a glitch (?), honestly I think a lot of us are genuinely intrigued!

allegate
12-02-2021, 05:04 PM
the last time I got excited about a do-over story it was The Dark Tower movie.

as far as these trailers go, I'm going to be watching the movie so I've decided to stop watching the trailers and will just watch the movie on release.

elevenism
12-02-2021, 06:19 PM
the last time I got excited about a do-over story it was The Dark Tower movie.

as far as these trailers go, I'm going to be watching the movie so I've decided to stop watching the trailers and will just watch the movie on release.

Wait: what do you mean "do-over?"

Are you talking adaptation in general, or the bit about the Horn, and that it was supposed to be a sequel AND reboot or whatever?

Is that the sort of thing that's going on here, too?

(For the record, we've not watched The Dark Tower. It sounds like an abomination to my wife and me, and we don't want to disrupt our An-Tet.)

elevenism
12-02-2021, 06:23 PM
It's weird to call those out, considering the love interest from Crystal Skull is Marion and the entire third act of Dr. Sleep is a reference-heavy return to the Overlook.

But yes, I wasn't saying they're all movies you can't understand without having seen the predecessor, just that they weren't things like Fury Road, where they basically reboot the whole franchise and just keep the name of a character.

I hear you.
But also, i was able to.understand that Crystal Skull sucked, AND not remember Marion. ;)
I hadn't seen those movies since I was a kid.

And I REALLY feel like Dr. Sleep was fairly self contained. Idk.
Maybe I'm wrong.

allegate
12-03-2021, 10:07 AM
Wait: what do you mean "do-over?"

Are you talking adaptation in general, or the bit about the Horn, and that it was supposed to be a sequel AND reboot or whatever?

Is that the sort of thing that's going on here, too?

(For the record, we've not watched The Dark Tower. It sounds like an abomination to my wife and me, and we don't want to disrupt our An-Tet.)
yes, the movie was supposed to be a sequel to the books, Stephen King hinted as much.

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/733244613000069120

The movie was perfectly fine but they needed someone either more manic or more calm and composed for Walter. Matthew McConaughey was too middle-of-the-road for what it should have been.

Hackiva Goldsman, as the primary listed screenwriter, is the probably cause for what happened.
Imagine someone told all of Game of Thrones in one movie that was just an hour and a half, then cut out 99% of the story.And that's it for TDT in The Matrix thread.

elevenism
12-03-2021, 01:44 PM
allegate I'm still wondering, though: how exactly is The upcoming Matrix film...what do you mean by "do over" regarding the new Matrix?

allegate
12-03-2021, 03:18 PM
That's a pretty (perhaps unintentionally) cynical take, and also I don't think it's true.

It's not like we're all "I can't wait to see bullet time again!" over here, the point of the trailer isn't simply to revisit these familiar moments, but to suggests that they have a story purpose behind them. This "everything repeats" view of the story isn't new to The Matrix, btw, since Reloaded we know that it's part of the mythology. And we're excited to find out what is going on! We can assume that this Neo isn't the same as the one who when through the original trilogy, this is some sort of restating of the simulation, but with some kind of a glitch (?), honestly I think a lot of us are genuinely intrigued!
mostly that. no offense to hellospaceboy just the post that I read and had that thought about.

marodi
12-04-2021, 06:45 PM
You know, I just really want to know why Jesus Keanu is sitting in a bathtub, crying, with a rubber ducky on his head.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

Also: I have seen the trilogy in theater when it came out and I have seen it countless time since. I still don't understand half of it. And the really weird thing is that it doesn't matter.

I can't wait.

elevenism
12-04-2021, 09:16 PM
You know, I just really want to know why Jesus Keanu is sitting in a bathtub, crying, with a rubber ducky on his head.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

Also: I have seen the trilogy in theater when it came out and I have seen it countless time since. I still don't understand half of it. And the really weird thing is that it doesn't matter.

I can't wait.

That's another thing that I'm wondering: the lore, the backstory, whatever you want to call it: as much as I loved those movies, there's a WHOLE hell of a lot I don't understand.
I wonder if some, or any, of the trippier stuff will be addressed.

That being said, the Wachowsks' Cloud Atlas and Sense 8 didn't entirely make sense, either, but I ADORED both of them, so I definitely understand the not caring marodi

sonic_discord
12-06-2021, 12:45 PM
https://youtu.be/nNpvWBuTfrc

Self.Destructive.Pattern
12-06-2021, 01:58 PM
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1467871273116217345?t=Xf1SJf9twdrv5HSREN-XJQ&s=19

Holy shit.

burnmotherfucker!
12-06-2021, 02:11 PM
New trailer is nice. I know people really didn't care for the sequels but I always thought they were unfairly panned. Sure some of the imagery wasn't up to par and there was definitely some cringe worthy filler scenes (like Jada being told 100 times how shes a better driver than the other dude). I'm actually kinda apprehensive about whether or not this one will be a letdown and not live up. I'm going in with low expectations for sure. And the fact Warner is just slapping this up on HBO MAX day one doesn't increase my confidence in it. But then again, when have they ever known what a good movie was?

Anyways, seeing a few folks in here mention the original trilogy being confusing got me wondering, just what is confusing about it? I mean yeah it dabbled in some philosophical ideas but for the most part I thought it was straight forward, or maybe I just saw them too many times? Perhaps it was confusing and I have just forgotten since I haven't watched them all in quite a while.

Throw some stuff out there and maybe we can iron it out before the new movie drops.

sonic_discord
12-06-2021, 10:17 PM
New trailer is nice. I know people really didn't care for the sequels but I always thought they were unfairly panned.

Agreed. Somewhat like Prometheus or The Dark Knight Rises, I don't feel they deserve the amount of criticism they typically get from most people. They're competent and entertaining movies, but they aren't as "tight" and lack that big "holy shit" idea the first one had. Are they as good as the original? Of course not. Sequels rarely live up to the initial installment (yes, there are some notable exceptions).

And the fact Warner is just slapping this up on HBO MAX day one doesn't increase my confidence in it.

That decision was made by Warner nearly a year ago and affected ALL of their movies being released in 2021, not just this one. It's not a sign of a lack of confidence in this film's box office potential.

allegate
12-06-2021, 11:06 PM
And the fact Warner is just slapping this up on HBO MAX day one doesn't increase my confidence in it.

Sorry, I waltzed right by this earlier. Did you not hear the announcement from Warner about this earlier in the year? And all the fallout from that decision?

I mean, I know I'm very online and especially with movies but this got play in a lot of places, not just this dinky thread or some esoteric YouTube channels.

I mean, Warner boy himself Christopher Nolan told Warner to stuff it and he's making a movie for Universal now.

burnmotherfucker!
12-07-2021, 12:23 PM
Agreed. Somewhat like Prometheus or The Dark Knight Rises, I don't feel they deserve the amount of criticism they typically get from most people. They're competent and entertaining movies, but they aren't as "tight" and lack that big "holy shit" idea the first one had. Are they as good as the original? Of course not. Sequels rarely live up to the initial installment (yes, there are some notable exceptions).

Agree completely. They are not the original but they were also never going to be. Finding out every thing in life that exists is a lie is the biggest "holy shit" possible, it was never going to be topped just continuing the story. Makes me wonder where they're going with this one. Maybe they do the whole, everything we thought we learned was also part of the lie. But even then it's not going to land the way the first film did. I know I may be in the minority but one of the things I liked about the sequels is that they asked some philosophical questions and didn't always provide answers to those questions. I hope they do more of that.

burnmotherfucker!
12-07-2021, 12:46 PM
Sorry, I waltzed right by this earlier. Did you not hear the announcement from Warner about this earlier in the year? And all the fallout from that decision?

Yeah, I have hbo max and all haha. Sorry I should have explained further I guess.

Most of the movies that got released day and date made sense to me given the covid fuckstorm we're all living under. The only other one that made me pause a bit was WW84 because of how well received the first one was. Then the movie came out and sucked and it made more sense in retrospect. Even Suicide Squad made sense to me because of how universally hated the first one was so why not put it up on streaming. And even though that one was good it tanked at the box office(at least, for what a movie with Harley Quinn should make). Some may argue Dune, fair enough but I never read the book so I could care less. And now I'll come to the point...

This is THE FUCKING MATRIX we're talking about here. Would Disney put Star Wars episode 10 or Avengers Reboot up on streaming day and date? Fuck no. And yeah the Matrix is R rated and not for as wide an audience but its still a franchise that changed the game to the point of being in everyone's vocabulary. It just seems like if they had any faith in the script at all someone at Warner would have said "Ok for all these movies but hold up with the Matrix, summer 2022 for that one."

This was supposed to reboot a franchise where even the one people didn't like made 200 million. With an R rating. In 2003. Only 6 months after Matrix 2 was released. In five days.

Just makes me scratch my head is all. But that's a regular occurrence with how WB handles their big films.

allegate
12-07-2021, 05:47 PM
Agree completely. They are not the original but they were also never going to be. Finding out every thing in life that exists is a lie is the biggest "holy shit" possible, it was never going to be topped just continuing the story. Makes me wonder where they're going with this one. Maybe they do the whole, everything we thought we learned was also part of the lie. But even then it's not going to land the way the first film did. I know I may be in the minority but one of the things I liked about the sequels is that they asked some philosophical questions and didn't always provide answers to those questions. I hope they do more of that.
so something like what people were thinking at the end of the second movie, after Neo could affect the machines in the 'real' world?

burnmotherfucker!
12-07-2021, 07:08 PM
so something like what people were thinking at the end of the second movie, after Neo could affect the machines in the 'real' world?

Well yeah I think that could be one example. They never really explored that very much though. I mean was Neo just able to affect the machine's code? If that was the case why was he seeing things in those heat pattern type images? Or was it just setting up the potential plot of Zion and the "real world" also being part of some system? I mean it could be a whole other system of control that not even the architect or oracle would be aware of. But this is nothing new really, it's Plato's cave for the 20th century. It's turtles all the way down. I like it when a film doesn't tie up every loose end and leaves you with something to think about.

The thing I had in mind was the way they dealt with choice in the narrative. I think it was done so it could be looked at either way. In fact, and I don't know this I am assuming, I think the Wachowskis probably believe in free will and see it as very important. I don't believe in it at all, in fact I don't even see room for the possibility of it (depending on how one defines terms, as always). And yet I still enjoy the films because there is enough there that is ambiguous. It is like one big blockbuster philosophical thought experiment. How different are Neo and Agent Smith really? I think they're not so different as one might gather if they're just thinking about the surface level.

If there's anything I find a bit heavy handed in those movies it's that they always come back to the hollywood cliché of love conquers all. But I can forgive that. Wachowskis gonna Wachowski.

cahernandez
12-19-2021, 01:40 AM
I went to the Matrix Resurrections US premiere at the Castro Theater in San Francisco (today). Of course I didn’t have tickets to get in but we watched the red carpet event. The whole gang was there, but the biggest thrill for me was watching Keanu Reeves. I don’t really have an attraction to celebrities but he has something…he’s just a humble person and I respect that. I have my tickets for IMAX at 11 am on opening day, looking forward to that!

https://i.ibb.co/GMZtx2Y/B8-CD6-D58-104-E-4-A7-F-8981-2602-EF0-C7-B9-C.jpg

mfte
12-21-2021, 11:05 AM
Light Spoilers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj76GwK5w1A

M1ke
12-21-2021, 01:31 PM
Another review, with spoilers:

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theglobeandmail.com%2Far ts%2Ffilm%2Freviews%2Farticle-the-matrix-resurrections-is-the-whoa-level-blockbuster-2021-deserves%2F

Gotta say, I'm pretty excited about it!

M1ke
12-22-2021, 12:43 PM
I kinda liked it.

The beginning felt like it was apologizing for the movie existing, but in kind of a cute way. The middle was a hot mess, but the ending was fun. I laughed so hard when people would wake up and just throw themselves out of the windows to try and hit Neo and Trinity as they were running past, that was one of the most hilariously creative and unexpected things...

It's not a horrible movie by any stretch of the imagination, but it's not 100% good either.

howdidislipinto
12-22-2021, 01:34 PM
i fucking loved it. i think it put a lot of the recent sequels and reboots to shame, and it was so full of ideas. i can't wait to see it again.

very happy that the animatrix/reloaded/revolutions are still very much canon and weren't thrown away/disregarded.

DVYDRNS
12-22-2021, 02:51 PM
I liked it. I’ll take this over any dumb ass spider man dc marvel comic book pile of trash movie that’s been shoved down my throat this past decade.

otnavuskire
12-22-2021, 05:43 PM
I liked that A LOT. Also really glad I did a rewatch of 2 and 3 over the weekend. Would have missed a bunch of stuff otherwise.

sonic_discord
12-22-2021, 09:59 PM
Well, I thought the trailer looked great and I was really excited for it, but I thought it was a massive letdown. Easily the worst Matrix movie. Should have just seen Spider-Man again.

Wretchedest
12-22-2021, 11:05 PM
I liked it. I’ll take this over any dumb ass spider man dc marvel comic book pile of trash movie that’s been shoved down my throat this past decade.

Are we living in a world where a fourquel to the matrix is somehow not lumped in with that pile? I'm not on board with that characterization but to me this is belongs in the same group as those other movies and very obviously so

hellospaceboy
12-22-2021, 11:07 PM
While it certainly wasn't perfect, I loved it! The lore was great, loved the way it connected to the original trilogy, and it felt very satisfying.

Strangely enough (especially for a Matrix film!) the biggest letdown was the action.

chuckrh
12-23-2021, 04:44 AM
Watching now. Pretty good so far. Hopefully they won't mess it up further in the film.

SM Rollinger
12-23-2021, 08:32 AM
First half of the film was fucking MENTAL, looking forward to rewatch with the captions on so I can hopefully make sense of the dialogue.

Jinsai
12-23-2021, 10:54 AM
I’m in the minority I guess… I thought it was terrible

sonic_discord
12-23-2021, 01:05 PM

I agree with you. It had a few decent scenes and a couple of interesting ideas (like when people were jumping/diving out of windows, trying to smash into Neo & Trinity like human missiles), but overall, I thought it was extremely disappointing and it made me hope that they don't have any plans to make anymore sequels. It got way too meta for its own good with the original trilogy being a video game that "Tom" created. I guess that could be an interesting idea on its own, but it wasn't executed in a way that respects the first three movies; it reduced them to cheap and unfunny jokes on a regular basis. This happened a lot with the new Morpheus, who mocked the dialog from the original movie ("Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony. Blah, blah, blah...") and the way they made it look like Neo was about to fly away, only to go "Yeah, that's not happening." <insert lame Full House-style laugh track here> Then there's the "good" machines... Why the fuck didn't they look like the other machines from the machine world? It would make a lot more sense if they just looked like the "evil" sentinels, but maybe just changed the color of the lights from red to blue, that would have been enough to convey that they are aligned with the heroes rather than the "evil" machines. Instead, they inexplicably look like a robot Pokémon bird and beetle. Did they really need to make the robot look like a Pokémon bird to let us know it's not a threat to the humans? Some of the acting was pretty lame (like the moment when Trinity remembered who she was) and the ending was super cringe-inducing and that RATM cover was terrible. I'm fine with them elevating Trinity to Neo's status, but why did they need to nerf Neo so much? I was fine with him being weak at first, but I can't be the only one who was waiting/hoping that he would eventually snap out of it, remember how to use his powers, and kick some serious ass. Anyway, I wish I had just watched it on my friend's HBO account because I don't remember the last time I felt this disappointed in the theater. I hope they let this franchise die now, because it felt to me like a hollow shell of its former self. However, like you said, we seem to be in the minority, so they'll probably pump out more.

dlb
12-23-2021, 01:17 PM
Just went in with extremely low expectations. I just recently re-watched the trilogy as I was fairly young when it came out and I forgot alot about the plot and some major scenes. The sequels never were on par with the first one, but I'm happy I rewatched the whole thing to enjoy this one more. Well... I liked it and it certainly was above my expectations. It felt great to see Neo and Trinity back again and I thought some stuff was done in a pretty clever way. Like someone said earlier, I never intended to fully understand everything about The Matrix, so I could follow along just fine.

What I absolutely disliked was how losely connected it felt visually to the first trilogy and not having Hugo Weaving back is a HUGE issue I have with this movie. I'm fine with Morpheus being a re-imagining, but not having an actual Agent Smith in this seriously puts me off. And don't get me startet with the Merovinigan... And what about the soundtrack? I get it... it's not the late 90s anymore, but no one who hasn't seen the original movie should go and see this one, so why not put some newer tracks from Massive Attack, Rob Zombie or even artists like Carpenter Brut or Perturbator onto the list? And yes, that RATM cover was absolutely terrible as well as the last scene...

I also would have loved to dive deeper into the machine world. I absolutey loved the two parts from Animatrix where they put some light onto how the machines rose to power. Missed opportunity... instead we got those AI beings and Pokemons.

So, I'm in the middle with this one... I enjoyed it alot for what it was and had a good time at the cinema. But does anyone need this movie? Definitely not and I sure hope they don't pump out a second trilogy. But overall it felt cool to dive back into the lore and this particular universe that changed pop culture 20 years ago.

allegate
12-23-2021, 01:21 PM
there's always a minority to the majority and it's not a bad thing. I love reading contrary* opinions to things that I enjoy because sometimes they pull details that I missed because I'm too caught up in "oh I love this thing". For example: The Screen Rant Pitch Meeting series of videos. He is taking the piss mostly but also has incisive commentary on the decisions that resulted in what is on the screen.

The flip side of that is that sometimes they pull a detail that was incorrect and just makes you want to ask the person "did you run this by someone else who watched the movie to see if they remember it this way?" Those I'm less inclined to take seriously.

*contrary opinions on the Internet being what they are, it's tough to see past the irony of someone hating/liking something for irony's sake. Which, since I just did a Google search for what that means, brought me to a post on a forum (https://www.neogaf.com/threads/whats-the-difference-between-ironically-liking-something-and-just-liking-it.1263207/) that I haven't visited in almost a decade. yikes.

DVYDRNS
12-24-2021, 09:04 AM
Watched it again last night with family. Liked it even more. Of course I had to explain every little thing to all of them because they couldn’t wrap their heads around when they were in the “video game” or not. Lol

thelastdisciple
12-24-2021, 05:14 PM
I wasn't thrilled with it.

@sonic_discord (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=5436) covered some of my issues, the fact that they were making the first film feel like such a joke among other things. The splicing in of footage from the other movies was ridiculous, as if we couldn't have recognized those familiar beats all on our own? The action choreography was shameful and absolutely sloppy and the music/score was very underwhelming. I still felt pretty much the same way as i did with the trailers, the visual language of the simulation world felt so wrong. Was this Limitless 2?

Fuck this movie.

richardp
12-24-2021, 05:26 PM
It wasn't perfect and I felt like the middle section drug a lot, but overall I had more fun watching Resurrections than I did either of the original sequels. It still didn't have the same vibe as the first one necesarrily but it still felt more like the first one that either 2 or 3.

Jinsai
12-24-2021, 06:40 PM
Yeah... I'm really wondering why this movie isn't being criticized for shoddy underwhelming action sequences... when that was REALLY the biggest thing about the original movie. This felt like a Cinemax "boom boom" action movie with a bunch of annoying "breaking the 4th wall" stuff

Wretchedest
12-24-2021, 08:02 PM
It just seems to me like Lana Wachowski didnt want to make an action movie but "if I don't make it someone else will" as they say in the movie, and we get a "Last Jedi" esque unpacking of the legacy of a work of art and the expectations placed on an artist by audiences and employers etc.

It's a lot like the last Jedi, also in that it's pointed at an audience that really probably doesn't want that kind of unpack. The Matrix has rich philosophical themes but have somehow been appropriated by the left AND the right. It seems as though people either love or hate this movie. Which strikes me as a sign that it at least did something different

Jinsai
12-24-2021, 09:05 PM
It did something different.... in a pseudo intellectual way that was unsatisfying on every front. It failed at exciting action sequences, it sounded pedestrian and stupid af when it tried to get deep, and then it seemed to just give up after failing at both of those fronts. All we're left with is this bullshit movie that just kinda misses the point intentionally.

M1ke
12-24-2021, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I mean really though, once you establish that Neo can throw bullet-stopping and car exploding forcefields from his hands the whole point to any action sequence becomes questionable, at best, and it's really hard to make anything that feels like the characters are in sort of danger.

But also, I felt like the part at the end where they were taking about painting the sky rainbows was a bit of a threat from Lana to the studio. Like, "if you force me to make another matrix movie, it's going be fucking rainbows and unicorns".....and that feels really fun to me.

Wretchedest
12-24-2021, 10:43 PM
I'll agree that the action sequences we're poorly executed and the music was frustrating but it's biggest issue was that the idea that the couple that must unite against everyone's will to destroy the establishment is a straight white one is obviously very silly and flies in the face of the movies broader theme about rejecting binaries.

I still liked it just fine and thought it punched well above it's weight creativity and philosophically than other blockbuster franchise faire.

stankeybearlover
12-25-2021, 05:48 AM
I'll agree that the action sequences we're poorly executed and the music was frustrating but it's biggest issue was that the idea that the couple that must unite against everyone's will to destroy the establishment is a straight white one is obviously very silly and flies in the face of the movies broader theme about rejecting binaries.

I still liked it just fine and thought it punched well above it's weight creativity and philosophically than other blockbuster franchise faire.

They could've rewritten both the Smith and Morpheus parts to drive the binary critique home while also not undermining the previous movies. The previous trilogy made it clear that Neo's role as the One could only be fulfilled through the influence of the relationships he has with both Trinity and Smith. So it is a triad and not a dyad that makes the One - not a binary relationship. With that I mean the One as was prophesied, not the One as it was designed. Furthermore, the triad would've mirrored the relationship between the Oracle, the Architect and the Analyst.

And with Morpheus they could've explored the psychosocial perspectives on binaries. The only "true" binary is that something either exists or doesn't exist. But with the new Morpheus they could've shown that something affectively still exists if we treat it as such. Not only did Neo more or less will the new Morpheus into existence, but the Prophecy became very much real because people like the old Morpheus had faith in it. And for Smith it was the power to believe in his own being that made him who he was. With the new Morpheus being an amalgam of Neo's understanding of both Morpheus and Smith, their beliefs had the potential to create an interesting duality that could've resulted into something truly new. It really is a shame that they just left that on the table.

With these changes it probably would've been more interesting if Bugs and Morpheus had been the protagonists in stead of Neo; and if the awareness of the relationships between Neo, Trinity and Smith had been the mcguffin. And then have Sati functionally take on the role of a new Oracle so she isn't just... there. That also could've provided the opportunity for the rebelling machines to have some actual bearing on the story.

Zimbo
12-25-2021, 02:06 PM
Incredible. Loved every minute once I realized what it was doing.

elevenism
12-25-2021, 02:29 PM
Incredible. Loved every minute once I realized what it was doing.

Do i need to rewatch the old ones before watching this one?

stankeybearlover
12-25-2021, 03:01 PM

Not really. It's a meta piece. You'd just need to understand that The Matrix was made by transgender siblings and has been appropriated by spiteful alt-right incels. The following resurge in popularity - in the Netflix and MCU era - motivated the studio to develop new The Matrix movies and Lana went "fuck it, I'll do it myself so at least those assholes will hate it while I also give the studio exactly what they say they supposedly want".

It might also help to have some idea of their show Sense8, if you'd like to appreciate the headspace Resurrections was made in.

elevenism
12-25-2021, 03:54 PM
Not really. It's a meta piece. You'd just need to understand that The Matrix was made by transgender siblings and has been appropriated by spiteful alt-right incels. The following resurge in popularity - in the Netflix and MCU era - motivated the studio to develop new The Matrix movies and Lana went "fuck it, I'll do it myself so at least those assholes will hate it while I also give the studio exactly what they say they supposedly want".

It might also help to have some idea of their show Sense8, if you'd like to appreciate the headspace Resurrections was made in.

I LOOOOOVE Sense8.
fillow , why the faceplam? DO I need to rewatch 1-3?

otnavuskire
12-25-2021, 03:58 PM

Having not seen 2 and 3 in well over a decade, I rewatched them before watching the new one. I'm glad I did because I had very little memory of them. I also enjoyed rewatching them a lot more than I did the first time around.

allegate
12-25-2021, 10:41 PM
I watched it last night and as soon as "Warner Brothers is telling us to make this sequel" was spoken aloud I was put on guard. I get that it's meta but you don't need to be that meta.

Morpheus is a program but it Morpheus and Smith (They even call him Agent Smith at one point) was an interesting idea.

Smith being reprogrammed to be a foil was fun. It didn't seem to be that way at first, he seemed too aware, but then he explicitly says as much near the end.

Seeing an agent give the body back to the program was really neat and actually something that a podcast I was listening to last week was wondering about during their rewatch of the trilogy.

I kind of love that Trinity had to save Neo and be a One there for a bit. "I'm not doing this!" yeah no shit Sherlock, you're the one dangling.

The music was more boring than I feared after reading some comments in here. The use of horns in the original series for the theme is iconic to a level that is basically if you don't have that cue, you're not really a Matrix movie. That's it, that's the critique. It sounded too safe and basically indistinguishable from most middle-of-the-road films now. Very sad on that front. Did Don Davis piss someone off?

I will be watching it again because it's possible that I need to give it some time to breathe outside of some negative feelings I had going in. Also I watched it without the fam so I'm going to have to pretend I have no idea what's going on.

burnmotherfucker!
12-26-2021, 03:01 AM
Anyone else catch this? Idk if it's still active but apparently they're giving out free marketing beanies.

https://www.hbomax.com/beanie

thelastdisciple
12-26-2021, 07:20 AM
I watched it last night and as soon as "Warner Brothers is telling us to make this sequel" was spoken aloud I was put on guard. I get that it's meta but you don't need to be that meta.
For real, I was having Space Jam ANL flashbacks.

The Matrix should not in any way remind me of fucking Space Jam A New Legacy. Oooof.

hellospaceboy
12-26-2021, 08:46 AM
Anyone else catch this? Idk if it's still active but apparently they're giving out free marketing beanies.

This is great, thanks for the heads up!

allegate
12-26-2021, 04:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNidbzzPVt8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bazg-4tUH9E

I liked both of these and they did help organize some thoughts I had about the movie. I'm actually looking forward to the second viewing now so that's a net positive.

elevenism
12-26-2021, 11:09 PM
I liked both of these and they did help organize some thoughts I had about the movie. I'm actually looking forward to the second viewing now so that's a net positive.

Could somebody please to tell me if I need to rewatch the fucking goddamn first three, or not?
Like...Please?

allegate
12-26-2021, 11:14 PM
eh, I don't think it's required. whatever they think you need to know about the first three they'll literally show you on the screen every fucking time they want to do a call-back so you won't miss it.

There's some other little things but honestly unless they make another sequel you don't need any of it.

edit: that sounds harsh but I was just tired of seeing the flashbacks on the screen every time. It's like, you're trusting us to get every other little thing in the film so why over-explain these parts?

Maximilian
12-27-2021, 03:39 AM
Could somebody please to tell me if I need to rewatch the fucking goddamn first three, or not?
Like...Please?

I'd say get a time machine, go back and watch the first one and be blown away (at least 3 times in the theater like I did). Then go watch the sequels once each and think they weren't good but there were some cool scenes in them.

EDIT: Couldn't delete but I thought it was a newbie asking if he/she needed to watch the first three....whoops

dlb
12-27-2021, 04:45 AM
Honestly, I'm not sure how you can enjoy this one without having seen the first three movies. The first one is definitely a MUST SEE even if you don't plan on watching the new one I was surrpised how well it still holds up in most parts after not seeing it for more than 10 years.

M1ke
12-27-2021, 09:39 AM
Like...Please?

No. I didn't, you'll get it, as long as you remember the big moments from them.

theruiner
12-27-2021, 08:11 PM
Like...Please?
I haven't seen the sequels since they were in theaters and I was ok.

AndItKeepsRepeating
12-27-2021, 10:21 PM
Nobody needs to watch the 2nd and 3rd Matrix movies ever for any reason whatsoever

october_midnight
12-27-2021, 11:58 PM
Like...Please?

If you want to, sure. If not, don’t. They’re movies. If you don’t, somehow you’ll survive.

DVYDRNS
12-28-2021, 10:07 AM
I think you need to rewatch at least the first one. I had to explain everything to members of my family who hadn’t recently watched the originals.

allegate
12-28-2021, 11:01 AM
I've changed my mind - it's important that you watch them because my friend asked me yesterday after watching it "I didn't get the whole colorful people fight in the warehouse, was I supposed to know who they were? French dude?!?" I replied that it was the Merovingian and his rogue programs and his response was "Who's that".

The orgasm cake guy.

Who? Mero what's it? That helps. NOT.

lol, how do you not remember that scene? gives the girl a cake that makes her orgasm and it pisses off his hot Monica Belluci wife.

Nope, don't remember that at all.

So, yeah, maybe at least a primer video on YouTube? :rolleyes:

mfte
12-30-2021, 02:11 PM
garbage

This movie only further affirms that we are living in the worst timeline.

M1ke
12-31-2021, 08:32 AM
I've changed my mind - it's important that you watch them because my friend asked me yesterday after watching it "I didn't get the whole colorful people fight in the warehouse, was I supposed to know who they were? French dude?!?" I replied that it was the Merovingian and his rogue programs and his response was "Who's that".

The orgasm cake guy.

Who? Mero what's it? That helps. NOT.

lol, how do you not remember that scene? gives the girl a cake that makes her orgasm and it pisses off his hot Monica Belluci wife.

Nope, don't remember that at all.

So, yeah, maybe at least a primer video on YouTube? :rolleyes:

Oh, that's who that was......

Yeah, I didn't remember who he was, but remembering that wouldn't have added anything to the scene really. At least for me anyways.

allegate
12-31-2021, 10:17 AM
I need to watch it again because that scene was a mess with him running around spouting actual nonsense.

Dr.Z
01-03-2022, 12:47 PM
I really enjoyed the movie. But it was definitely very unusual and I can understand how some people don't like it at all. I feel like there's a certain point where the movie makes it clear that it is a middle finger towards reboot/sequel culture and Warner Bros. as well as everyone who doesn't want to accept that the franchise has always been queer, campy, and somewhat silly. All of this is just dialed up. After that it's essentially Lana Wachowski saying "I'm just gonna do whatever the hell I want - do you want to come along?" and I was perfectly fine with that. Will probably watch it again soon.

fillow
01-04-2022, 06:37 AM
Naturally this movie was a very low hanging fruit for Pitch Meetings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHCsz78GfYg

scorpiusdiamond
01-27-2022, 06:15 PM
Saw the film tonight (blame Omicron for my lateness)

I thought it was a better film than Revolutions (which isn’t saying much) My girlfriend and I watched all three films plus The Animatrix beforehand as well whilst we waited for things to calm down a bit. I think that really helped my enjoyment.

It felt like the Force Awakens of Matrix films, but also knew what it was doing so much that it worked for me. I’m a massive fan of Dan Harmon and meta situations so I think I just relished how inside itself it was (I wonder what he would think of it)

Also NPH absolutely kicked ass, he’s crazy underrated as a serious actor (Gone Girl anyone?)

Could’ve done without the “omg” shit though, yikes

MrLobster
03-18-2022, 07:33 PM
Just finished watching it, and I also watched the first 3 + Animatrix before diving it... I enjoyed it fine. Perhaps a bit too much "on the surface"... and now I want an Animatrix-style of the past 60years.

allegate
09-29-2022, 05:37 PM
https://twitter.com/empiremagazine/status/1575602568322899968

wizfan
09-30-2022, 03:54 AM
https://twitter.com/empiremagazine/status/1575602568322899968

Is it weird that I want to see this?

allegate
09-30-2022, 11:16 AM
I want to see it just to see if they use any of the Spider-Man tech for the wire-fu, should be cool.

thelastdisciple
11-01-2022, 02:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxBX4kglpls

This guy def explains fairly well how much the meta shit was so bothersome to me in Resurrections, as well as the crappy action scenes.

Didn't really touch on the score or anything because that was subpar as well IMO.

Khrz
11-01-2022, 08:14 AM
I agree with the action scenes, for some reason they were badly directed and had no impact.

Concerning the meta stuff, I actually took it in stride. I'm really not a fan of the previous sequels and the first one is definitely a pre-millenium movie and it shows. So I kinda liked that this one didn't really pretend to be an actual continuation, just a story after the story. Sort of a send-off DLC to the trilogy. Once I got what they were doing I was totally okay with it. I prefer a meta commentary rather than a failed attempt at past glory.

howdidislipinto
11-06-2022, 05:17 PM
just to get some love in for matrix resurrections in this thread, which i think is a perfect fucking movie, here's some of the stuff i wrote right after seeing it.

things i loved about the matrix resurrections (https://queennimesh.tumblr.com/post/673513163299389440/the-matrix-has-me) - a fun, quick, easy read. oh and thoughts on the movie aside, i fucking *love* this score, a perfect mix of cloud atlas/sense8 and the original matrix. and the second disc is a fucking fantastic set of club remixes of the score, making up for the one thing that was missing in resurrections -- another rave scene.

the matrix revisisted (https://queennimesh.tumblr.com/post/678114534741966848/the-matrix-revisited) - a love letter to the whole series and what it's meant to me for over 20 years. this is long, unhinged, and personal. don't read this one... (unless the matrix lives forever in your brain like it does in mine)

the themes and imagery of suicidal ideation running through this film, and the clear and wonderfully portrayed depictions of depression when you aren't living as your true self that keanu and carrie-anne captured perfectly in their performances... they're going to stay with me for a long time. and may have had even MORE of an impact on me than the first matrix way back when.

good flick.

stankeybearlover
11-09-2022, 02:10 AM
i fucking *love* this score, a perfect mix of cloud atlas/sense8 and the original matrix. and the second disc is a fucking fantastic set of club remixes of the score, making up for the one thing that was missing in resurrections -- another rave scene.
This encouraged me to listen to the remixes and there's actually a couple of playlist worthy tracks on that disc! I wouldn't mind hearing most of the rest of the tracks in the club either. The names of some of those remixers sound familiar. Aren't those DJs from Berghain?

howdidislipinto
11-15-2022, 07:37 PM
This encouraged me to listen to the remixes and there's actually a couple of playlist worthy tracks on that disc! I wouldn't mind hearing most of the rest of the tracks in the club either. The names of some of those remixers sound familiar. Aren't those DJs from Berghain?

you are correct!! i wish the remix disc didn't fly so far under the radar last year, i think it's pretty damn excellent. but yeah the only real write-up i ever saw of it or information i found was on mondo's site because they put the vinyl out...

https://mondoshop.com/products/the-matrix-resurrections-the-remixes-2xlp

"Further, Lana Wachowski lives in Berlin and is connected to many DJs, remixers, producers and personalities deeply involved and associated with the underground electronic music scene - some of them for more than 30 years - and the well-known Berlin nightclub Berghain. These connections and inspirations organically evolved from a remix idea into the larger inclusion of remixes on the album."

allegate
11-15-2022, 09:15 PM

anyone get theirs? I totally forgot about this until I was browsing the thread.

burnmotherfucker!
11-15-2022, 10:20 PM
anyone get theirs? I totally forgot about this until I was browsing the thread.

I did actually. It showed up like months after the movie came out haha. It was just a pretty basic beanie though, not the most comfortabe material so if you didn't get one you're not missing much.

october_midnight
04-03-2024, 01:25 PM
Fifth movie officially in the works. (https://variety.com/2024/film/news/matrix-5-lana-wachowski-executive-producing-1235959174)

THE IP MUST FLOWWWW

allegate
04-03-2024, 01:52 PM
Honestly if they continue the current line with the duo neo it could be interesting. Just fuck that IP up so it's not a crass sequel.

I know they won't, but hey.

fillow
04-03-2024, 03:04 PM
Someone on reddit brought up a good point: The Animatrix is a proof that other good stories are possible within Matrix universe that aren't about Neo and Trinity.
Not that I trust the new movie to be good.

thelastdisciple
04-03-2024, 03:16 PM
Someone on reddit brought up a good point: The Animatrix is a proof that other good stories are possible within Matrix universe that aren't about Neo and Trinity.
That's honestly what i would like to see as someone who wasn't thrilled with the latest installment.

sonic_discord
04-03-2024, 05:55 PM

I kinda hate to say it because I'd love to have Keanu back as Neo, but that's the only way I see any sequels being good and/or interesting after that embarrassingly terrible 4th installment. I've always loved the first movie and I've defended Reloaded and Revolutions (I don't feel they deserve quite as much hate as they get), but I absolutely hated Resurrections. That was probably my single-most disappointing theater-going experience of my life. Anyway, maybe this time they can actually call the movie "The Matrix Rebooted," which would be a pretty fitting title if they did focus on completely new characters.

Kodiak33
04-04-2024, 07:40 AM
I kinda hate to say it because I'd love to have Keanu back as Neo, but that's the only way I see any sequels being good and/or interesting after that embarrassingly terrible 4th installment. I've always loved the first movie and I've defended Reloaded and Revolutions (I don't feel they deserve quite as much hate as they get), but I absolutely hated Resurrections. That was probably my single-most disappointing theater-going experience of my life. Anyway, maybe this time they can actually call the movie "The Matrix Rebooted," which would be a pretty fitting title if they did focus on completely new characters.

Agreed.

I rewatched them a couple years ago with my wife (who hasn't seen any of them) before Ressurections came out. The original was so ahead of it's time it's almost amazing that it came out when it did. It still looks modern.

Reloaded (besides a couple of scenes) was much better than I remembered, with some amazing stunt work / effects. Revolutions was OK, Resurrections felt like a TV movie...it didn't seem serious. For a guy to drop Spiderman 4 for this is a huge risk, so I'm at least very very curious about it.